PDA

View Full Version : Billy mckay (On Loan To Dundee Utd)

allmodcons
27-08-2015, 11:37 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34074171

Just what we require.
Should we not be in bidding at £200k?

IanM
27-08-2015, 11:39 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34074171

Just what we require.
Should we not be in bidding at £200k?

The Daily Record reporting that we are

Jones28
27-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Wouldn't come to us, probably be a waste of time.

Brightside
27-08-2015, 11:46 AM
we don't have 200k

superfurryhibby
27-08-2015, 11:50 AM
we don't have 200k

I think we do.

J-C
27-08-2015, 11:51 AM
we don't have 200k

We got nothing from the sale of Allan, thought it was undisclosed?

So we sell our best player for a 19 yr old with potential and a player that's half decent and zero cash.

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2015, 11:56 AM
@ScottBurns75: @billymckay22 - as it stands - will not be joining @dundeeunitedfc. @HibsOfficial trying to do a deal while @RCFCStaggies keen on loan.

Brightside
27-08-2015, 11:57 AM
We got nothing from the sale of Allan, thought it was undisclosed?

So we sell our best player for a 19 yr old with potential and a player that's half decent and zero cash.

No we've one of the best youth players in the country (wages paid), Dylan (on a 3 years deal - and we will have his salary to cover). We will have some "cash" available. But id very surprised if we have 400k+ required to buy Mckay and pay his wages... If we do - its from other sources..

SteveHFC
27-08-2015, 11:58 AM
@ScottBurns75: @billymckay22 - as it stands - will not be joining @dundeeunitedfc. @HibsOfficial trying to do a deal while @RCFCStaggies keen on loan.

:hyper

H18S NX
27-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I thought we were looking out for a big centre forward ala Farid style?

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I thought we were looking out for a big centre forward ala Farid style?

We need a goalscorer

Billy Whizz
27-08-2015, 12:01 PM
We need a goalscorer

He wasn't very convincing last season.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:03 PM
No we've one of the best youth players in the country (wages paid), Dylan (on a 3 years deal - and we will have his salary to cover). We will have some "cash" available. But id very surprised if we have 400k+ required to buy Mckay and pay his wages... If we do - its from other sources..

TBH I'd rather we just kept Allan and told him to get on with things, we're not exactly ripping teams apart and we're really missing his vision.

Jones28
27-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I will happily stand corrected!

Brightside
27-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I have to be honest he wouldn't be for me. I want a 6ft plus guy up there to run alongside Cummings/keatings etc. We're going to end up with the smallest strikers in the league

SlickShoes
27-08-2015, 12:13 PM
TBH I'd rather we just kept Allan and told him to get on with things, we're not exactly ripping teams apart and we're really missing his vision.

We look just as flat with Allan in the team as we do now

Lago
27-08-2015, 12:14 PM
I have to be honest he wouldn't be for me. I want a 6ft plus guy up there to run alongside Cummings/keatings etc. We're going to end up with the smallest strikers in the league
Your right.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:19 PM

Barca are strewn with 6ft plus strikers :confused:

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:21 PM
We look just as flat with Allan in the team as we do now

Probably right, just the frustration of such a poor start and trying to figure out what we can do to change things, straws and clutching comes to mind. :greengrin

Lago
27-08-2015, 12:23 PM
BBC Sport Scotland reporting Dundee Utd have had £200k bid accepted.

offshorehibby
27-08-2015, 12:23 PM

We weren't exactly ripping teams when he was here last season or this.

erin go bragh
27-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Sure the fee was 200 k . Would prefer Stevie May as McKay very similar to Keatings .

GGTTH

Brightside

haha we are hardly barca! The passing %age is a wee bit higher in Spain!

percy veer

Good one

Tyler Durden
27-08-2015, 12:28 PM

That would make more sense to me. Are people writing off Keatings before he has even started a game? I'd have Cummings before McKay too.

Find it strange that we've played 1 up front for the last 3 games, created very little for the lone striker and yet people want to blame the strikers.

Barring a poor showing in the play offs Cummings and Malonga have generally delivered when they get the service. If Stubbs can sort the balance of the the team we already have 4 top strikers for this league

Vault Boy
27-08-2015, 12:29 PM

I actually think it's a fair point. Whilst we may not be Barca, the teams we are facing certainly aren't Real Madrid, so we should be able to implement a system that utilises good players to the best of their ability, regardless of their height.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:31 PM

You get my drift though, quality players are what's needed.

Malonga is 6ft 1in and he isn't anywhere near being a target man, so height isn't the main criteria for the position.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 12:32 PM
That would make more sense to me. Are people writing off Keatings before he has even started a game? I'd have Cummings before McKay too.

Find it strange that we've played 1 up front for the last 3 games, created very little for the lone striker and yet people want to blame the strikers.

Barring a poor showing in the play offs Cummings and Malonga have generally delivered when they get the service. If Stubbs can sort the balance of the the team we already have 4 top strikers for this league

Jason had a couple of real chances at Ibrox.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 12:34 PM

While MacKay is small he is very good at holding the ball up. Can remember him being brilliant at this when ICT beat Hearts with 9 men.

Brightside
27-08-2015, 12:34 PM
You get my drift though, quality players are what's needed.

Malonga is 6ft 1in and he isn't anywhere near being a target man, so height isn't the main criteria for the position.

I'd rather have a Farid that can attack crosses. We almost always end up with a floated pass from the full backs... if we aren't going to zip in cut backs its pointless have small strikers.

Hibiza
27-08-2015, 12:35 PM
If we cant sign a class striker, we can say goodbye to going up.

The_Horde
27-08-2015, 12:36 PM
We're missing a couple of defence botherers

Strikers that either run in behind or look to take people on or a strong guy to take it in, holding off defenders anfd being an aerial nuisance.

Malonga and Cummings will score goals. But they don't really create their own opportunities.

Hoping that Keatings covers the running part.

The_Horde
27-08-2015, 12:41 PM
From what I remember. BM scores all sorts of goals, is sharp and can hold the ball up as well as playing on the last man.

Whether his confidence is there is another thing.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:45 PM
I'd rather have a Farid that can attack crosses. We almost always end up with a floated pass from the full backs... if we aren't going to zip in cut backs its pointless have small strikers.

Then why is Malonga not playing as he's over 6ft, tactically I'm getting more and more baffled by Stubbs, I have no clue to what he's trying to achieve, his signing policy is very random indeed.

Ringothedog
27-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Then why is Malonga not playing as he's over 6ft, tactically I'm getting more and more baffled by Stubbs, I have no clue to what he's trying to achieve, his signing policy is very random indeed.

Being over 6ft does not make you good in the air or brave and willing to ruffle up defenders. Malonga does neither of those. Stubbs is trying to build a team of young, talented ambitious players on a limited budget. I would suggest it is not random at all. TBH honest I am sick and tired of us spending money on journeymen who are really not that good.

J-C
27-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Being over 6ft does not make you good in the air or brave and willing to ruffle up defenders. Malonga does neither of those. Stubbs is trying to build a team of young, talented ambitious players on a limited budget. I would suggest it is not random at all. TBH honest I am sick and tired of us spending money on journeymen who are really not that good.

So what system and style is he playing or wants to play, is it 4-4-2 diamond, 4-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 ?? we seem to have used them all and I'm still unsure which one he wants to use.

MoscowHibs
27-08-2015, 01:06 PM
A striker with a goal every 2 games or so during his last stint in Scottish fitbaw seems like a guid investment to me.If we can sign him, get it done I say.

hibs#1
27-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Don't care what size he is,think he would a brilliant signingdon't think it'll happen but hope it does

easty
27-08-2015, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't spend £200k on a striker right now. Aye, they're no scoring enough, but I think our strikers are already good enough.

I'd much rather get a good winger if we've got £200k to spend on someone.

easty
27-08-2015, 01:31 PM
If we cant sign a class striker, we can say goodbye to going up.

We had the best striker in the league last season and didn't go up.

hibs0666
27-08-2015, 01:38 PM
So what system and style is he playing or wants to play, is it 4-4-2 diamond, 4-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 ?? we seem to have used them all and I'm still unsure which one he wants to use.

He wants to be able to adapt according to the opposition. Why would you want to shape a squad that can only play one way?

supershotmo
27-08-2015, 01:43 PM
He wants to be able to adapt according to the opposition. Why would you want to shape a squad that can only play one way?

4-5-2 should give us an advantage in most games. We should try that on Saturday!!!!!

TheFamous1875
27-08-2015, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't spend £200k on a striker right now. Aye, they're no scoring enough, but I think our strikers are already good enough.

:top marks

Billy Whizz
27-08-2015, 02:13 PM
He's going to Dundee United I'm told

Springbank
27-08-2015, 02:44 PM
4-5-2 should give us an advantage in most games. We should try that on Saturday!!!!!

Oxley scored a lot more goals in that formation
He's wasted in this 1-3-5-2 we keep trying...

J-C
27-08-2015, 03:01 PM

But he doesn't play one way, that is my point, we should have 2 good well organised systems in place like most teams and play each system according to who we play.

We started last season playing 4-2-3-1 pre season and it was fairly good, come the start of the season we played 3-5-2 against Rangers in the Petrofac and were unlucky to lose because Handling was sent off. He then stumbled across the diamond because we lacked width, this worked until we were sussed out and only when Boyle came in did he change to 4-3-3.

So far this season we've seen them all played, the point I'm making is what style of play is Stubbs trying to achieve, he seems to buy players first then once they're here try to get a system that suits them, instead of buying players to suit a system.

J-C
27-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Note to self, always check before hitting post button :greengrin

supershotmo
27-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Note to self, always check before hitting post button :greengrin

It was meant to be a sarcastic reply m8

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 03:09 PM
But he doesn't play one way, that is my point, we should have 2 good well organised systems in place like most teams and play each system according to who we play.

We started last season playing 4-2-3-1 pre season and it was fairly good, come the start of the season we played 3-5-2 against Rangers in the Petrofac and were unlucky to lose because Handling was sent off. He then stumbled across the diamond because we lacked width, this worked until we were sussed out and only when Boyle came in did he change to 4-3-3.

So far this season we've seen them all played, the point I'm making is what style of play is Stubbs trying to achieve, he seems to buy players first then once they're here try to get a system that suits them, instead of buying players to suit a system.

So we have a manager that is able to get the team to play in a number of different systems and this is a bad thing. Bottom line is we arent where we wanted to be injury and performance wise however the signings we have made look good and in cases like Keatings/Dylan/McGregor/Henderson/McGinn etc we will only get better. We still need a couple of signings in a striker and to me a left back however lets give the team and the manager a chance to develop something good.

Andy74
27-08-2015, 03:16 PM
So we have a manager that is able to get the team to play in a number of different systems and this is a bad thing. Bottom line is we arent where we wanted to be injury and performance wise however the signings we have made look good and in cases like Keatings/Dylan/McGregor/Henderson/McGinn etc we will only get better. We still need a couple of signings in a striker and to me a left back however lets give the team and the manager a chance to develop something good.

Its easy to ghet them playing in lots of formtions. The trrick is to get us playing well in at least one for them though isn't it?

At the moment we need to settle down into a formation and team.

Right now Hibs should not have to amend their formation for games against the likes of Morton and Stranraer.

We don't seem to have any set pattern to how we play just now, which leads people to beleive that the players don't really know the roles or the shape well enough.

J-C
27-08-2015, 03:16 PM

But they're not playing in these systems, so much chopping and changing, pick 2 systems that will work and stick with them, it looks like a lot of players are confused as to what they're doing at times, we've gotten worse instead of better, just my point of view.

J-C
27-08-2015, 03:18 PM
It was meant to be a sarcastic reply m8

I know hence my smiley

CRAZYHIBBY
27-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Taxi driver says he's having a medical at utd now

AlbertK86
27-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Ach well that's that then !!!!!!!!

Spike Mandela
27-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Ach well that's that then !!!!!!!!

Not if he fails it..........that's how Hibs got all their signings this year.:wink:

hibeemikey21
27-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Taxi drivers are 0 for 1 thus far re hibs transfers

Iain G
27-08-2015, 05:13 PM
But they're not playing in these systems, so much chopping and changing, pick 2 systems that will work and stick with them, it looks like a lot of players are confused as to what they're doing at times, we've gotten worse instead of better, just my point of view.

Formation and team set up at Ibrox worked well ans he would have been hailed a tactical genius if we had taken our chances

Mr White
27-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Taxi drivers are 0 for 1 thus far re hibs transfers

The old boys in someone's dad's domino team called danny carmichael weeks before he signed!

Hamish
27-08-2015, 05:22 PM
According to STV sport for us in the North 'late interest from Hibs could scupper any deal'

Jim44
27-08-2015, 05:27 PM
According to STV sport for us in the North 'late interest from Hibs could scupper any deal'

Us? Gazump a £200k bid? Shurely shome mishtake!

GreenOnions
27-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Oxley scored a lot more goals in that formation
He's wasted in this 1-3-5-2 we keep trying...

He's a long ball merchant IMO

hibeemikey21
27-08-2015, 05:47 PM
The old boys in someone's dad's domino team called danny carmichael weeks before he signed!

Get them on the phone!

J-C
27-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Formation and team set up at Ibrox worked well ans he would have been hailed a tactical genius if we had taken our chances

Yes that worked well because everyone knew their jobs but to stick with a system that plays to stifle against Stranraer was poor, should've went 2 up top, or even 3.

RoYO!
27-08-2015, 07:06 PM

Completely disagree re our strikers. I consider that position our weakest link right now tbh.

Lee
27-08-2015, 07:18 PM

No - but hibs ain't barca and the championship ain't the BBVA either!

Having a physical presence up top would allow us to hold the ball up better up top and bring our midfielders into the game more.

We get corners galore (like last night) and have no one to capitalise on them.

We never win a header in the opposition box (or when we do, its off target)....seems like a no brainer to me!

Thought Cummings did better when Farid was playing alongside him too, so maybe having someone similar up front will help the likes of him and Keatings too

mcfly
27-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Unbelievable comments being made.

None of our strikers are scoring and some in here are moaning about potentially buying a proven SPL striker.

If he chooses us over Dundee Utd then Alan Stubbs has made a master stroke and deserves total applause.

Let's trust the boss if he wants billy McKay and he wants to sign for hibs then great.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Its easy to ghet them playing in lots of formtions. The trrick is to get us playing well in at least one for them though isn't it?

At the moment we need to settle down into a formation and team.

Right now Hibs should not have to amend their formation for games against the likes of Morton and Stranraer.

We don't seem to have any set pattern to how we play just now, which leads people to beleive that the players don't really know the roles or the shape well enough.

I think last season more than showed that we can play well in a number of systems. We played well on Sunday also however we still need to get players up to speed and over injuries this season. Bit of patience required.

CRAZYHIBBY
27-08-2015, 07:22 PM
He's only scored 54 goals in 4 years at caley......hardly prolific

Matt92
27-08-2015, 07:24 PM

He's welcome to join the queue of those who never made it down South and therefore never good enough for us...like Allan, Stokes and Griffiths?

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2015, 07:25 PM

He struggled in his first season. Looking a his next 3 seasons, he scored more than 1 in 2

Heisenberg
27-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I'd be astonished if we could afford him tbh.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 07:27 PM

How many games have we played this season given the injuries and Allan situation plus the number of new players it isn't a surprise we aren't up to speed yet. Last season we were excellent but didn't go up. We will get better.

SteveHFC
27-08-2015, 07:28 PM
People turning down McKay :faf:

Unreal :faf:

Aldo
27-08-2015, 07:39 PM
People turning down McKay :faf: Unreal :faf:

Yip!! Never ceases to amaze me! There will be folk that are never happy regardless who we sign and that's a FACT!

;-)

Michael
27-08-2015, 07:47 PM
If it's between us and utd then I can't see him choosing us to be honest.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2015, 07:47 PM
well i'm waiting to see who he signs for first before saying whether he's good...or no great loss

SteveHFC
27-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Yip!! Never ceases to amaze me! There will be folk that are never happy regardless who we sign and that's a FACT!

;-)

These people who aren't happy with McKay would be the same ones turning down the chance to spend the night with Cheryl Cole as they could do better.

;-).

J-C
27-08-2015, 07:49 PM
How many games have we played this season given the injuries and Allan situation plus the number of new players it isn't a surprise we aren't up to speed yet. Last season we were excellent but didn't go up. We will get better.

Aye we've hit the ground running right enough, big improvement in the team.

Aldo
27-08-2015, 07:50 PM
If it's between us and utd then I can't see him choosing us to be honest.

I'll give you Fyvie and McGinn.

McGinn in particular had offers from Premier League yet chose us.

Never say never.

Beefster
27-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Unbelievable comments being made.

None of our strikers are scoring and some in here are moaning about potentially buying a proven SPL striker.

If he chooses us over Dundee Utd then Alan Stubbs has made a master stroke and deserves total applause.

Let's trust the boss if he wants billy McKay and he wants to sign for hibs then great.

Correct. Some Hibs fans are ****ing barmy.

Aldo
27-08-2015, 07:51 PM
These people who aren't happy with McKay would be the same ones turning down the chance to spend the night with Cheryl Cole as they could do better. ;-).

Nah! You took that too far!! ;-)

Jonnyboy
27-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Aye we've hit the ground running right enough, big improvement in the team.

You've just said this on another thread .......... Aye that's right instead of a contructed post lets be a cheeky get on hibs.net again, gets so boring:( :wink:

bingo70
27-08-2015, 07:54 PM

;-)

I think McKay is an excellent player and I'm amazed we're being linked with him.

I still think there's other areas of the team we need more though. I'm maybe not giving McKay enough credit but if we keep playing everything so centrally we'll still keep coming up against teams that park the bus and I'm concerned that McKay won't get the space to be as successful as he was at Inverness.

Would still be delighted if we got him though.

Yuillsy
27-08-2015, 07:56 PM
These people who aren't happy with McKay would be the same ones turning down the chance to spend the night with Cheryl Cole as they could do better.

;-).

Far too skinny these days, she needs to get back home and get on the Broon ale!!😆

hibeesboii
27-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Can't believe people would say no to McKay. We haven't scored goals and he proved himself in the spl. I'd love to see him sign

Aldo
27-08-2015, 07:59 PM
I think McKay is an excellent player and I'm amazed we're being linked with him. I still think there's other areas of the team we need more though. I'm maybe not giving McKay enough credit but if we keep playing everything so centrally we'll still keep coming up against teams that park the bus and I'm concerned that McKay won't get the space to be as successful as he was at Inverness. Would still be delighted if we got him though.

I think Mackay would be a superb signing, I have to admit I'd prefer Stevie May but would be more than happy with either.

I'm not sure the issue would be creating chances it's taking them!

I'm still hoping that Keatings will do the business tho!

.Sean.
27-08-2015, 07:59 PM
We're a half-decent Championship side in Scotland who can't buy a goal and there's a couple folk turning their noses up at Billy Mackay who scored about 50 goals in two years in the top league in this country??

We really must have some of the most fickle supporters on the planet. Can I ask what market you're expecting us to be operating in?

Vault Boy
27-08-2015, 08:02 PM

64 goals in 142 games for ICT. In his two full seasons of 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 he got 27 and 22 goals respectively. Ratio of about 1 in 2. I would call that prolific.

Would be an excellent signing and I can't really see how there can be any doubt about that whatsoever.

J-C
27-08-2015, 08:11 PM
You've just said this on another thread .......... Aye that's right instead of a contructed post lets be a cheeky get on hibs.net again, gets so boring:( :wink:

Sorry John, just so hard ar times to bite my lip, surprised it's not bleeding the number of times I've bitten it recently ;)

Jonnyboy
27-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Sorry John, just so hard ar times to bite my lip, surprised it's not bleeding the number of times I've bitten it recently ;)

:greengrin

Aye, frustrating times indeed :agree:

Mikey09
27-08-2015, 08:17 PM

;-).

😂😂😂. :faf::faf::faf:... But true!!

liamh2202
27-08-2015, 08:21 PM
We're a half-decent Championship side in Scotland who can't buy a goal and there's a couple folk turning their noses up at Billy Mackay who scored about 50 goals in two years in the top league in this country??

We really must have some of the most fickle supporters on the planet. Can I ask what market you're expecting us to be operating in?

Some peoples heads are in the clouds sean

Forza Fred
27-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Jason had a couple of real chances at Ibrox.

He's still learning and will improve, but he can't do it all on his own in any case

But we DO I agree say we need increased fire powere, and have said for a couple of seasons.

The nature of the position means frequent trips to the treatment table, and we need seamless replacements for first choice strikers.

Can someone ring Jimmy O'Rourke and see what he's doing?

Unseen work
27-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Would be a fantastic signing. He scores alot due to his movement and sharpness in the box, something I think we lack. He also makes a nuisance of himself for the opposition

Him or stevie may would be great but can't see us getting may.

The main reason I want another striker is to take some pressure off Cummings, I think we are relying on him far too much. Hopefully keatings can step up now he's back from the injuries.

AlbertK86
27-08-2015, 08:42 PM
These people who aren't happy with McKay would be the same ones turning down the chance to spend the night with Cheryl Cole as they could do better. ;-).

Steve you usually farms box in but love this retort ... Respect Ms man

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2015, 08:43 PM
We probably don't need to worry if we need him or not. McKay is at Tannadice this evening

Del Boy
27-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Would have been an absolutely brilliant signing.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2015, 09:18 PM

;-)

Can't tell if your employing some sarcasm here or not....

People like those who have seen us sign Keatings and still aren't happy you mean?

Hibs haven't signed McKay so who's unhappy?

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2015, 09:21 PM

What's this got to do with Barca?

J-C
27-08-2015, 10:01 PM
What's this got to do with Barca?

Someone saying he wanted a 6ft plus striker, i was trying to point out height isn't everything.
What size is Deek and Griffiths, 2 of the best strikers that we've seen at ER in a good few years.

Aldo
28-08-2015, 05:20 AM
Can't tell if your employing some sarcasm here or not.... People like those who have seen us sign Keatings and still aren't happy you mean? Hibs haven't signed McKay so who's unhappy? Yeah a wee bit. Regardless of who we sign.

bingo70
28-08-2015, 05:58 AM
Someone saying he wanted a 6ft plus striker, i was trying to point out height isn't everything.
What size is Deek and Griffiths, 2 of the best strikers that we've seen at ER in a good few years.

We were rubbish when We had Griffiths as well though.

I think the point is that it's better to have a good team rather than relying on a goal scorer to get us out of a scrape. Having a physical front man that brings others into play would likely give us a better team, even if he didn't score 20 goals a season.

I can't remember hearts last 20 goal a season striker but they've finished above us more often than not over the last 10-15 years.

sambajustice
28-08-2015, 06:39 AM
STV twitter saying we've "entered the race..."

R'Albin
28-08-2015, 06:47 AM

I think the point is that it's better to have a good team rather than relying on a goal scorer to get us out of a scrape. Having a physical front man that brings others into play would likely give us a better team, even if he didn't score 20 goals a season.

I can't remember hearts last 20 goal a season striker but they've finished above us more often than not over the last 10-15 years.

Completely agree.

I feel the same way I do about this as I did McGeouch. I'm all for good players signing if they're within our budget so I'd be more than happy for him to sign. However, I can't help but feel that it's pointless if we don't play a system which actually gets us regular wins. As long as we keep playing this plodding football then it doesn't really matter if we have a great striker, we still aren't going to beat teams regularly enough to win the title.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Being linked with McKay and May is great, and if we could manage to sign a player of this ilk would be a great boost for the club.

I wonder what Junior Agogo is doing these days, hopefully we have left that kind of player in the past and signings like McKay and May are what we are after now? :pray:

lucky
28-08-2015, 07:05 AM

The team should always be more important than 1 player but at this moment I don't care I just want promoted. So I'll suffer another year of crap pointless football for winning football. If McKay can score enough goals to get us up as champions or through the play offs I'd be delighted

The_Horde
28-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Being linked with McKay and May is great, and if we could manage to sign a player of this ilk would be a great boost for the club.

I wonder what Junior Agogo is doing these days, hopefully we have left that kind of player in the past and signings like McKay and May are what we are after now? :pray:

Apparently junior had a stroke recently. Not sure if he ever confirmed this.

500miles
28-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Christ, a couple of stifled games against teams who stick 10 men behind the 30 yard mark as soon as we get possession, and suddenly we play "plodding" football.

Some folk have short memories.

Ronniekirk
28-08-2015, 07:56 AM
The team should always be more important than 1 player but at this moment I don't care I just want promoted. So I'll suffer another year of crap pointless football for winning football. If McKay can score enough goals to get us up as champions or through the play offs I'd be delighted

I think everyone on here would agree we want promotion. I was at the Morton Ranngers and Stranraer games.I actually enjoyed the rangers game the most as we played football and carved out good chances and defended well if a bit desparate at times .
Just now we are in another period of Transition embedding new players and getting some back who have been out injured .Stubbs is still trying to find out who can play best in what position, and we haven't got a settled first eleven and formation that players are comfortable in .So just now I will settle for going on a winning run at any cost ,as we need to build confidence
But that midweek performance doesn't want to make me go every week and will likely mean I now won't go to Raith game ( finance is also a factor ) .So at some point there needs to a balance .
We have known since last season finished how teams will play against Us, and sit in when we are at home ,we have known we lacked pace ,width ,and didn't up the tempo in games enough and were too slow and tip tapping the ball sideways too much
It's no coincidence that the two goals scored at home came from players getting wide to the by line ,and putting in quality balls into the box To get Fans back yes we need to start winning ,but surely it's not too much to ask for the issues mentioned above to be addressed
Am hoping we will see improvements over the next three to four weeks Trying to see out games one nil is a risky business for us .

Jim44
28-08-2015, 08:06 AM
We probably don't need to worry if we need him or not. McKay is at Tannadice this evening

Stubbs won't confirm or deny our interest. Dundee Utd. have agreed a fee of £200k but the player's wage demands could be a stumbling block. Given the money they got for sales to Celtic I'm surprised to hear that. Where do we stand in relation to wages?

CallumLaidlaw
28-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Stubbs won't confirm or deny our interest. Dundee Utd. have agreed a fee of £200k but the player's wage demands could be a stumbling block. Given the money they got for sales to Celtic I'm surprised to hear that. Where do we stand in relation to wages?

Apparently its just a loan we are interested in

Jim44
28-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Apparently its just a loan we are interested in

So we get him for nowt and they pay the wages of a player they're happy to get rid of, as opposed to getting £200k and him off the wage bill. Second option's a no-brainer for Wigan surely. Do we and D Utd. for that matter still have firm wage structures?

IanM
28-08-2015, 08:33 AM
So we get him for nowt and they pay the wages of a player they're happy to get rid of, as opposed to getting £200k and him off the wage bill. Second option's a no-brainer for Wigan surely. Do we and D Utd. for that matter still have firm wage structures?

Wigan have confirmed they'd 'prefer' to loan him out which is why i still think we have a chance of signing him.

Stubbs chat yesterday was he doesn't expect anything to be done in terms of a striker until Monday but would obviosuly welcome someone in now

eastmainsmsh
28-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Stevie May please could get him for 400 k lol cmon rodders

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Agree to an extent however we now have a very strong midfield and it is vital we have strikers that can finish off and also link up the play. I agree we do need an option of a taller striker however I think the most important things are movement being able to hold and the ball up and also be a goal threat.

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Christ, a couple of stifled games against teams who stick 10 men behind the 30 yard mark as soon as we get possession, and suddenly we play "plodding" football.

Some folk have short memories.

Completely agree lets see how we play when all are fit and new players have been given time to settle in.

Jim44
28-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Wigan have confirmed they'd 'prefer' to loan him out which is why i still think we have a chance of signing him.

Stubbs chat yesterday was he doesn't expect anything to be done in terms of a striker until Monday but would obviosuly welcome someone in now

I didn't know about the loan issue. I'm surprised that Wigan would prefer a loan for a player they're willing to sell for peanuts. D Utd. might go for a loan if that's the case.

Alfred E Newman
28-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Nothing against McKay but Stubbs seems to be following the same policy of managers before him of signing players who are available without an apparent plan as to how they fit into the team. After signing McGregor we now have 4 centre half's but only 2 full backs. As everyone knows we are now overloaded with central midfield players. If we didn't already have Cummings or Keatings I would be all in favour of signing McKay, he is probably better than both. I know you need to have cover but there has to be some master plan as far as the team goes.

IanM
28-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I didn't know about the loan issue. I'm surprised that Wigan would prefer a loan for a player they're willing to sell for peanuts. D Utd. might go for a loan if that's the case.

They accepted the £200k as no other team had noted an interest until Hibs did. Hibs approached them about both loan and buying and Wigan confirmed they'd prefer to loan him out as Caldwell still thinks he'll do a job, just needs game time.

£200k is a decent amount for someone who has played 11 times so i think the player will have the final say

Golden Bear
28-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Nothing against McKay but Stubbs seems to be following the same policy of managers before him of signing players who are available without an apparent plan as to how they fit into the team. After signing McGregor we now have 4 centre half's but only 2 full backs. As everyone knows we are now overloaded with central midfield players. If we didn't already have Cummings or Keatings I would be all in favour of signing McKay, he is probably better than both. I know you need to have cover but there has to be some master plan as far as the team goes.

:agree:

Well said Malcolm.

The Harp Awakes
28-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Agree with you to an extent, but I think that signing McKay would offer us a different striking option. A problem we've had this season has been an inability to change the way we play, when clearly we are struggling to score goals. McKay would be a far more direct striker than either Cummings and Malonga and can be played in off a long ball. Not that we should change our passing game, but sometimes you need to mix your tactics to make openings and score goals. Would be a great signing IMO.

J-C
28-08-2015, 09:02 AM
They accepted the £200k as no other team had noted an interest until Hibs did. Hibs approached them about both loan and buying and Wigan confirmed they'd prefer to loan him out as Caldwell still thinks he'll do a job, just needs game time.

£200k is a decent amount for someone who has played 11 times so i think the player will have the final say

Not if Wigan decide they want a loan instead of selling, it's up to them, if they say it's now only a loan then it'll just be which club he wants to come to.

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 09:03 AM

McGregor can play right back as can Forster. Hanlon can play left back at a push though I think we need another left back hopefully this window possibly a loan player from EPL. As for forwards I am assuming one is leaving probably Malonga but also may be Cummings if we have received a bid so we do need another striker. Sometimes players managers like suddenly become available and they need to decide whether to buy or not as it may be a one off opportunity.

Velma Dinkley
28-08-2015, 09:05 AM

stubbs said aid he wanted to sign a defender who could play in a couple of positions, which we needed. Mcgreggor cannplay central defence and right back. The midfielders we've signed are talented players who can play in a number of positional to simply describe them as central midfielders is wrong. Everyone seems to think we need a striker who can convert our chances and Stubbs seems keen to bring that type of player in. It's very clear that Stubbs is identifying the right type of players the team needs and is working to bring them in. The myth that he is signing players randomly is just that a myth. And I'm not sure why anyone is trying to create it.

Peevemor
28-08-2015, 09:06 AM
stubbs said aid he wanted to sign a defender who could play in a couple of positions, which we needed. Mcgreggor cannplay central defence and right back. The midfielders we've signed are talented players who can play in a number of positional to simply describe them as central midfielders is wrong. Everyone seems to think we need a striker who can convert our chances and Stubbs seems keen to bring that type of player in. It's very clear that Stubbs is identifying the right type of players the team needs and is working to bring them in. The myth that he is signing players randomly is just that a myth. And I'm not sure why anyone is trying to create it.

That's how I see things too.

Hibeewilly
28-08-2015, 09:06 AM
My Dundee mate just texted to say the word up there is rhat we have pipped United and have signed McKay

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Totally agree.

J-C
28-08-2015, 09:11 AM
McGregor can play right back as can Forster. Hanlon can play left back at a push though I think we need another left back hopefully this window possibly a loan player from EPL. As for forwards I am assuming one is leaving probably Malonga but also may be Cummings if we have received a bid so we do need another striker. Sometimes players managers like suddenly become available and they need to decide whether to buy or not as it may be a one off opportunity.

That's how I see it, I don't think he would be looking to sell say Malonga but if the right striker became available then he'd sign him and then maybe try to punt Malonga, the fact he went with Boyle as a secondary striker with Malonga on the bench says a lot.

Hopefully if he gets Mackay, he's a very mobile forward and would suit a 4-3-3 system, which would be very attacking and give us a chance to break teams down.

Andy74
28-08-2015, 09:27 AM
That's how I see it, I don't think he would be looking to sell say Malonga but if the right striker became available then he'd sign him and then maybe try to punt Malonga, the fact he went with Boyle as a secondary striker with Malonga on the bench says a lot.

Hopefully if he gets Mackay, he's a very mobile forward and would suit a 4-3-3 system, which would be very attacking and give us a chance to break teams down.

Malonga is still carrying an injury otherwise I think he would have had a bit more time in recent games. We went through this around semi final time last year and we play better with Malonga back in the team.

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Malonga is still carrying an injury otherwise I think he would have had a bit more time in recent games. We went through this around semi final time last year and we play better with Malonga back in the team.

Maybe so however it has been a long time since Malonga scored or had a really influential game. He sometimes gives the impression of not really wanting to be here so maybe Stubbs wants to cut his losses. I like him and he is different to other stinkers and is very useful particularly in away games however as I say it has been a while since he had a cracking game.

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2015, 09:56 AM

I agree with this too. The fact that we are faced with 10 men behind the ball nearly every week means we are having to play across the pitch looking for an opening. I do think though that if we play the ball quicker it will help .. once we have a few more games together that will come.

Comparisons with Fenlon's team are unfair .... The way we played under him was his chosen style, at the moment we are being forced into it by the way the opposition play.

Golden Bear
28-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Maybe so however it has been a long time since Malonga scored or had a really influential game. He sometimes gives the impression of not really wanting to be here so maybe Stubbs wants to cut his losses. I like him and he is different to other stinkers and is very useful particularly in away games however as I say it has been a while since he had a cracking game.

He has too many stinkers for my liking as well.

:wink:

BonnieFitbaTeam
28-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Not if Wigan decide they want a loan instead of selling, it's up to them, if they say it's now only a loan then it'll just be which club he wants to come to.

You'd have to assume that McKay would prefer the loan option as well; getting regular game time up here but still on Wigan wages. win-win

J-C
28-08-2015, 10:17 AM
You'd have to assume that McKay would prefer the loan option as well; getting regular game time up here but still on Wigan wages. win-win

As it looks it's not up to Mackay as he's under contract, if Wigan prefer to keep him and see a future for him there, then a loan looks more than likely, it's now up to Stubbs and Co. to convince him to come here.

Andy74
28-08-2015, 10:17 AM

He scored against Dumbarton.

Andy74
28-08-2015, 10:18 AM
As it looks it's not up to Mackay as he's under contract, if Wigan prefer to keep him and see a future for him there, then a loan looks more than likely, it's now up to Stubbs and Co. to convince him to come here.

If they have accepted a bid from Dundee Utd that would indicate they don't see a future for him there.

Andy74
28-08-2015, 10:21 AM
I agree with this too. The fact that we are faced with 10 men behind the ball nearly every week means we are having to play across the pitch looking for an opening. I do think though that if we play the ball quicker it will help .. once we have a few more games together that will come.

Comparisons with Fenlon's team are unfair .... The way we played under him was his chosen style, at the moment we are being forced into it by the way the opposition play.

A couple of things on that - Fenlon was also forced into a certain way of playing when guys like Cairney and Wotherspoon were off form or injured. When we had wide men playing well then we actually played some nice stuff and effective stuff.

Secondly, how did Hearts play last year against the same opposition?

We can choose to be a lot quicker and to have wingers going past people instead of cutting back every time.

jacomo
28-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Are we expecting JC or Dom to leave? Has the outlook for Farid deteriorated? Having 5 senior strikers in the squad seems a lot.

hibees 7062
28-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Two-year deal for Andy Webster at St Mirren.

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2015, 10:43 AM
A couple of things on that - Fenlon was also forced into a certain way of playing when guys like Cairney and Wotherspoon were off form or injured. When we had wide men playing well then we actually played some nice stuff and effective stuff.

Secondly, how did Hearts play last year against the same opposition?

We can choose to be a lot quicker and to have wingers going past people instead of cutting back every time.

You have a point I suppose. I agree entirely about your last point, I was critical of both Stevenson and Carmichael on Wednesday for turning back into midfield instead of trying to get to the byline.

SaulGoodman
28-08-2015, 10:53 AM
You have a point I suppose. I agree entirely about your last point, I was critical of both Stevenson and Carmichael on Wednesday for turning back into midfield instead of trying to get to the byline.

:agree:

The only goals we got against Morton and Wednesday night were from players getting it to the byline.

brog
28-08-2015, 11:06 AM

Its hard to overstate how much I disagree with this. Stubbs had several main signing targets this season & I believe that with the signing of Dylan M he achieved & finished his pre planned business. He saw an opportunity to strengthen our defensive cover with a right-sided player & jumped in quickly to sign D McG. That signing IMO was a bonus. I think McKay, which remains rumour only for now, also falls into that category.
If someone had said to us at the dismal end of last season that we would have signed DM, MB & FF on permanent deals, extended deals for DG, LF & LS & signed completely new players in DC, JK, DMcG, MB & got LH on a loan deal they would have been laughed out of court. I know we're all a wee bit antsy just now but IMO AS ( & LD ) has done outstanding ( & mostly planned ) business this window. Lets just get behind them all now!

Lucius Apuleius
28-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Its hard to overstate how much I disagree with this. Stubbs had several main signing targets this season & I believe that with the signing of Dylan M he achieved & finished his pre planned business. He saw an opportunity to strengthen our defensive cover with a right-sided player & jumped in quickly to sign D McG. That signing IMO was a bonus. I think McKay, which remains rumour only for now, also falls into that category.
If someone had said to us at the dismal end of last season that we would have signed DM, MB & FF on permanent deals, extended deals for DG, LF & LS & signed completely new players in DC, JK, DMcG, MB & got LH on a loan deal they would have been laughed out of court. I know we're all a wee bit antsy just now but IMO AS ( & LD ) has done outstanding ( & mostly planned ) business this window. Lets just get behind them all now!

:agree::agree::agree:

mcfly
28-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Agree totally. It's crazy how many footballing experts we have on these pages criticising the manager. As I said before If we got billy McKay what an amazing piece of business by hibs and they should be applauded not criticised.

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 11:16 AM
He scored against Dumbarton.

and the second part about playing well?

Jim44
28-08-2015, 11:17 AM

I am very satisfied with what Stubbs has done in this window but, to use your term, I feel a bit antsy about the early lack of progress. I don't think I'd be calling for his head if we don't get promotion but I would be worried about the players' committment to another year in the Championship. Fingers crossed our season starts soon.

Andy74
28-08-2015, 11:21 AM
and the second part about playing well?

Who has been? I think like a few others he has been injured, and I gather it has been lingering a bit. Word seems to be from the PM board that he is now fit but I think like all the injured players, he will need some games to get back to his best.

scoopyboy
28-08-2015, 11:27 AM

I think you can't have any less than four centre backs.

If you play 3-5-2 then by definition you need an absolute minimum of three.

Centre halves are notorious for picking up injuries and most definitely suspensions, so again for me four are required.

How many centre backs would you have in the first team squad?

Alfred E Newman
28-08-2015, 11:46 AM
I think you can't have any less than four centre backs.

If you play 3-5-2 then by definition you need an absolute minimum of three.

Centre halves are notorious for picking up injuries and most definitely suspensions, so again for me four are required.

How many centre backs would you have in the first team squad?

I agree to a point but what has tended to happen is that all are accommodated in the side at the same time. We have an abundance of mid field players yet little or no cover at full back. I am certainly no expert but after sitting though the Morton and Stranraer games I can see no obvious team pattern. Stubbs maybe has one in mind when everyone is fit but I just can't see it.

scoopyboy
28-08-2015, 11:49 AM
I agree to a point but what has tended to happen is that all are accommodated in the side at the same time. We have an abundance of mid field players yet little or no cover at full back. I am certainly no expert but after sitting though the Morton and Stranraer games I can see no obvious team pattern. Stubbs maybe has one in mind when everyone is fit but I just can't see it.

All valid points IMO.

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Who has been? I think like a few others he has been injured, and I gather it has been lingering a bit. Word seems to be from the PM board that he is now fit but I think like all the injured players, he will need some games to get back to his best.

Fair points.

Onion
28-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Agree totally. It's crazy how many footballing experts we have on these pages criticising the manager. As I said before If we got billy McKay what an amazing piece of business by hibs and they should be applauded not criticised.

Agree totally with that. No one can seriously criticise Stubbs for the players he's identified and signed up. The relevant question is whether or not he can get them to gel as a unit and win game consistently. If we fail this season, it won't be for lack of quality players.

IanM
28-08-2015, 12:16 PM
@STVPaul: As well as Dundee United, Hibernian, Inverness CT and Ross County have all made offers to Wigan Athletic to sign striker Billy McKay.

Jim44
28-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Agree totally with that. No one can seriously criticise Stubbs for the players he's identified and signed up. The relevant question is whether or not he can get them to gel as a unit and win game consistently. If we fail this season, it won't be for lack of quality players.

This scenario points to one obvious conclusion.

Smartie
28-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Early on in Stubbs/ Dempster's time at the club they described in detail the make-up of their ideal squad, the number of senior players who can play each position and how they would have development players as understudies.

Tbh it was music to my ears and it sounded like we finally had people at at the club who knew what they were doing. Because they inherited such a total shambles they were never going to sort it all out immediately but at least they sounded like they were headed for the right place. Fenlon's last transfer window was an absolute abomination and the balance of the squad he created was just ridiculous. But it seemed like Stubbs wanted a small but efficient and well-structured squad.

The only thing he didn't really address last season was the wingers. He to round that by creating a "diamond" midfield that didn't need wingers and was overall really pretty successful (under McCall got the better of it) and to get to where he did by the January transfer window was nothing short of miraculous. The squad was still a bit thin though and injuries to Boyle, Farid and Forster cost us dear in the end.

This summer started very promisingly - good business early on and it looked like our weaknesses were being strengthened, esp out wide. But the longer the transfer window has gone on the stranger and stranger it has seemed. Plenty of good players seem to be appearing, with even more being linked - so quality isn't the issue - but I agree 100% with those who say it doesn't look like there is a game plan. The football has been sketchy so far with us not really looking that comfortable playing any way at any point. There's no doubt Scott Allan is a massive loss, he was a cracking player but I agree with those who say that it is hard to see our game plan.

Maybe he's going for different options? Having all the midfielders allows him to play the diamond that served him so well last season, even if a couple of players get injured. Maybe he wants to try 3 strikers at some point? That would get in about breaking down defensive sides, we'd probably need a few in the squad to cover that. McGregor is an excellent signing and if we ever wants to play 3 at the back then he needs at least 4 centre-backs to give him cover.

I think he's trying to get a flexible squad that can play different ways because his "one trick pony" got found out a bit last season. The injury to Forster meant he couldn't go 3 at the back in the playoffs and the lack of wide midfielders meant he had to go with the diamond - which McCall had sussed.

We've also got a few players who are not just good but versatile. McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, McGeoch, Henderson, Boyle, Stanton, Handling - these are all players who can play more than one role or position in a team comfortably imo (without resorting to Fenlon's madness of playing loads of people out of position).

The main thing I would say is that the transfer window is still open and a lot may happen yet. There may yet be arrivals and departures that will make all of the activity so far appear to be part of a master plan.

But at the moment I have to say some of it does seem a bit curious, and the snapping up of decent players without any real bigger picture thinking is very reminiscent of Fenlon (or dare I say it - Petrie?)

Maybe we need to wait until the window is closed before tearing the whole thing to shreds. Because I knew as soon as Fenlon's last window closed that we were in a lot of trouble.

Penicuik Hibee
28-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Having attended my first game of the season, I can see why some people are concerned. We dominate, pass the ball well but never look like creating good chances & therefore never look like scoring.

The last post was fair until it said we had versatile player but not good enough. I think a number mentioned are good players. Hanlon reads the game superbly (can get bullied at times), Dlyan is a great footballer, McGregor has only just arrived. But we have basis of a really good team/squad.

Issue for me at the moment is that it didn't look like we knew our best team or formation. For me, Boyle isn't a good enough finisher to play CF. But as an attacking wide player to tracks back when we play 3-5-2, he adds a different option. Carmichael looked a player at QOS but not on the left wing. Cummings looks really sharp but needs a partner so creates space takes the pressure off him.

The foundation of a good team is there - but we are def not quite there yet & need to find the best team/formation & build confidence really quickly

Smartie
28-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Having attended my first game of the season, I can see why some people are concerned. We dominate, pass the ball well but never look like creating good chances & therefore never look like scoring.

The last post was fair until it said we had versatile player but not good enough. I think a number mentioned are good players. Hanlon reads the game superbly (can get bullied at times), Dlyan is a great footballer, McGregor has only just arrived. But we have basis of a really good team/squad.

Issue for me at the moment is that it didn't look like we knew our best team or formation. For me, Boyle isn't a good enough finisher to play CF. But as an attacking wide player to tracks back when we play 3-5-2, he adds a different option. Carmichael looked a player at QOS but not on the left wing. Cummings looks really sharp but needs a partner so creates space takes the pressure off him.

The foundation of a good team is there - but we are def not quite there yet & need to find the best team/formation & build confidence really quickly

I didn't say they were not good enough - I said that they are not JUST good but versatile i.e. they are good players and can be good in more than one position.

I wasn't criticising but praising the players.

I'm not as concerned about the LB position as some because I think that Hanlon could do a job there, we also have Crane for backup.

I think McGeoch is a superb player and he'd put a decent shift in for you in just about any position on the park.

Penicuik Hibee
28-08-2015, 12:59 PM
OK, apologies if I read it wrongly.

LB does worry me. I love how Lewis gives 100% in every match but he lacks pace & seems to have had his confidence dented. He had a poor game on Wednesday & did little going forward.

I don't think Rangers are as good as a lot of people are saying. But their full backs offer a lot of attacking threat/pace that pulls the opposition defence out of position & creates space/chances for the forwards.

We need to start scoring early goals which will force teams to open up against us. How many times do you see the other team have 1 or 2 shots on target & they score with them compared to your 15 - 20. Even on Wednesday, Oxley had a superb save to stop us going behind & despite it being played like a training match for Hibs, they had a couple of really decent chances to take the game to ET

I really do think we have the makings of a good team if we can find the right formation & get some confidence

Heisenberg
28-08-2015, 01:03 PM
@anthonyabrown: Billy McKay won't be joining Hibs

EEN journo.

erin go bragh
28-08-2015, 01:08 PM

EEN journo.

Good . Keeps the door open for Stevie May

GGTTH

Jim44
28-08-2015, 01:22 PM

EEN journo.

Back to the depths of depression. We're doomed I tell you.:greengrin

Heisenberg
28-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Looks like this one can be crossed off the list...

@robertthomson55: Billy McKay is set to join Dundee United on a season long loan. @scotsunsport

Centre Hawf
28-08-2015, 01:40 PM

@robertthomson55: Billy McKay is set to join Dundee United on a season long loan. @scotsunsport

I imagine having to compete with Dundee United can be difficult. I assume they pay similar wages to ourselves and the attraction of not spending your days at Dumbarton and Raith would sway that decision. Good signing for Dundee United though, they badly need some inspiration.

IanM
28-08-2015, 01:45 PM
I imagine having to compete with Dundee United can be difficult. I assume they pay similar wages to ourselves and the attraction of not spending your days at Dumbarton and Raith would sway that decision. Good signing for Dundee United though, they badly need some inspiration.

Good signing but weird they're accepted the loan deal considering Wigan initially accepted £200k to buy.

Smartie
28-08-2015, 01:47 PM
I would also say that if he had chosen us over Utd then their fans would be in absolute meltdown.

I know a good few Arabs and they're not a happy bunch right now.

If true - decent signing and may well placate a few of them.

Centre Hawf
28-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Good signing but weird they're accepted the loan deal considering Wigan initially accepted £200k to buy.

Maybe McKay thinks he can still crack it at them and wants to just get back to playing and scoring? If he has a great season that everyone in Scotland knows he's capable of then Wigan, like Wolves with Sparky, wouldn't be able to ignore it.

Jim44
28-08-2015, 01:54 PM

They probably couldn't afford his wages if they had bought him. At least they've got him for a year to help sort out their short term problems.

Onion
28-08-2015, 02:01 PM
They probably couldn't afford his wages if they had bought him. At least they've got him for a year to help sort out their short term problems.

Or Wigan had second thoughts about the £200k price tag after more clubs showed interest.

IWasThere2016
28-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Seems so..

macd123
28-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Early on in Stubbs/ Dempster's time at the club they described in detail the make-up of their ideal squad, the number of senior players who can play each position and how they would have development players as understudies.

Tbh it was music to my ears and it sounded like we finally had people at at the club who knew what they were doing. Because they inherited such a total shambles they were never going to sort it all out immediately but at least they sounded like they were headed for the right place. Fenlon's last transfer window was an absolute abomination and the balance of the squad he created was just ridiculous. But it seemed like Stubbs wanted a small but efficient and well-structured squad.

The only thing he didn't really address last season was the wingers. He to round that by creating a "diamond" midfield that didn't need wingers and was overall really pretty successful (under McCall got the better of it) and to get to where he did by the January transfer window was nothing short of miraculous. The squad was still a bit thin though and injuries to Boyle, Farid and Forster cost us dear in the end.

This summer started very promisingly - good business early on and it looked like our weaknesses were being strengthened, esp out wide. But the longer the transfer window has gone on the stranger and stranger it has seemed. Plenty of good players seem to be appearing, with even more being linked - so quality isn't the issue - but I agree 100% with those who say it doesn't look like there is a game plan. The football has been sketchy so far with us not really looking that comfortable playing any way at any point. There's no doubt Scott Allan is a massive loss, he was a cracking player but I agree with those who say that it is hard to see our game plan.

Maybe he's going for different options? Having all the midfielders allows him to play the diamond that served him so well last season, even if a couple of players get injured. Maybe he wants to try 3 strikers at some point? That would get in about breaking down defensive sides, we'd probably need a few in the squad to cover that. McGregor is an excellent signing and if we ever wants to play 3 at the back then he needs at least 4 centre-backs to give him cover.

I think he's trying to get a flexible squad that can play different ways because his "one trick pony" got found out a bit last season. The injury to Forster meant he couldn't go 3 at the back in the playoffs and the lack of wide midfielders meant he had to go with the diamond - which McCall had sussed.

We've also got a few players who are not just good but versatile. McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, McGeoch, Henderson, Boyle, Stanton, Handling - these are all players who can play more than one role or position in a team comfortably imo (without resorting to Fenlon's madness of playing loads of people out of position).

The main thing I would say is that the transfer window is still open and a lot may happen yet. There may yet be arrivals and departures that will make all of the activity so far appear to be part of a master plan.

But at the moment I have to say some of it does seem a bit curious, and the snapping up of decent players without any real bigger picture thinking is very reminiscent of Fenlon (or dare I say it - Petrie?)

Maybe we need to wait until the window is closed before tearing the whole thing to shreds. Because I knew as soon as Fenlon's last window closed that we were in a lot of trouble.

Yet fenlon had that team sitting in the top 6 of the spl. That team had worse footballers but had some advantages over this one. We went through a period under fenlon of being very good at set pieces. We stopped conceding late goals and starting nicking goals at corners and free kicks. We had a back 4 of forster, nelson, hanlon and mcgivern. We had collins and robertson too who could head the ball - so that's 6 players.

Stubbs has brought in some great footballers but it's not a balanced squad. The quality is in central midfield. We don't have quality on the wings and we don't have any strikers who can head the ball or hold it up.

It wouldn't have been "unlucky" if we had lost 1-0 to stranraer. They knew exactly what was coming from us. Prevent them playing through the middle. Nick a set piece and we win 1-0 or get a draw. We don't seem to have learned from last year. WE need to be the ones nicking games 1-0 when not playing well. I hope we learn quick!

JimBHibees
28-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Yet fenlon had that team sitting in the top 6 of the spl. That team had worse footballers but had some advantages over this one. We went through a period under fenlon of being very good at set pieces. We stopped conceding late goals and starting nicking goals at corners and free kicks. We had a back 4 of forster, nelson, hanlon and mcgivern. We had collins and robertson too who could head the ball - so that's 6 players.

Stubbs has brought in some great footballers but it's not a balanced squad. The quality is in central midfield. We don't have quality on the wings and we don't have any strikers who can head the ball or hold it up.

It wouldn't have been "unlucky" if we had lost 1-0 to stranraer. They knew exactly what was coming from us. Prevent them playing through the middle. Nick a set piece and we win 1-0 or get a draw. We don't seem to have learned from last year. WE need to be the ones nicking games 1-0 when not playing well. I hope we learn quick!

We just did that did we not. :greengrin

Andy74
28-08-2015, 02:11 PM
We just did that did we not. :greengrin

Indeed. We need to be beatiig most teams we play this year by 3 or 4 goals, not nicking 1-0s!

I don't think we go out with the mind set to destroy teams though, we seem to just want to do enough to get by.

Brightside
28-08-2015, 02:18 PM
he couldn't agree his contract with Wigan...so has to go on loan for now.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Stubbs wants striker in by Monday. Hopefully get it done sooner!

Smartie
28-08-2015, 02:23 PM
I think we're still (inexplicably) finding our feet.

As long as we're scraping the points then we're doing fine.

Dumbarton was a disaster, we got away with it against Morton, we were unlucky against Rangers and have done enough to get through the cup games (unlike some other sides in the league above us).

I'd bite your hand off right now for a scrappy, scabby, lucky 1-0 win tomorrow - something we struggled to get against Raith even when playing well last year.

I'm delighted the Falkirk game is off and I hope we have a couple of friendlies lined up whilst the International break is happening.

We need to get everyone fit and get the new boys used to their surroundings asap. I reckon it'll all come together in time but we need to make sure we don't fall too far behind in the meantime.

We can't keep playing the way we've been playing for long though - things do need to pick up.

H18S NX
28-08-2015, 02:37 PM

@robertthomson55: Billy McKay is set to join Dundee United on a season long loan. @scotsunsport...Good.

Hibs History
28-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Stubbs wants striker in by Monday. Hopefully get it done sooner!

Any info on who?

Tha Cabbage Kid
28-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Any info on who?

would love to see Bradley Fewster from boro on a season loan

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Any info on who?

Na mate. Better to ask Underscore, Scoops, Brooster or TheCat23 for that stuff bud :aok:

Andy74
28-08-2015, 03:10 PM
would love to see Bradley Fewster from boro on a season loan

A 19 year old with no senior appearances or goals for anyone. Not really anywhere close to what we need from this signing.

The_Horde
28-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Any info on who?

He's two footed, hangs about the left wing and is dangerous at set pieces.

Yep, you got it. Thierry Henry

jdships
28-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Understand from a" Scottish Agent" that there are legal problems connected to his contract at Wigan ( or its renewal) and it is felt better for both parties that he goes out on loan while the " legal eagles" sort things out
Sounds plausible
:greengrin

The Leith Dutch
28-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Indeed. We need to be beatiig most teams we play this year by 3 or 4 goals, not nicking 1-0s!

I don't think we go out with the mind set to destroy teams though, we seem to just want to do enough to get by.

This.

While I'd much prefer to be nicking 1-0's than shipping points to late goals we need to be banging in 2 or 3 goals minimum every match and with the players we have there is no reason why we can't.

Kojock
28-08-2015, 03:42 PM
As long as we're scraping the points then we're doing fine.

Unfortunately that is not the case so far having only taken three points from our first three games scoring a measly two goals.

The Leith Dutch
28-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately that is not the case so far having only taken three points from our first three games scoring a measly two goals.

A big problem with scraping points is that every team you play thinks they're in the game.
The yams got a lot of points last season playing teams that were already beaten before the kick off.

When we waltzed promotion last time we were down (and I know, different and far better team) we had a lot of teams turning up expecting to get thumped.
I think we'll struggle to get up this season without adding close to a goal to our goals a game average for last season.

Put it another way - if you offered me 2.5 goals a game or 30 clean sheets in the remaining league games I'd take the former every time as at the moment we'd drop too many points to 0-0 for the latter to work.

Smartie
28-08-2015, 04:13 PM

By selectively quoting this line it misses the point I was trying to make.

If we scrape through games but still win we get away with it. Short-term, for me this is acceptable because you get the same number of points for a scarcely-deserved scraped 1-0 as you to a comprehensive 8-0 pumping.

It's not sustainable and cannot be the extent of our ambitions.

For whatever reason we look off the pace right now. Fitness, tactics, personnel, whatever. But it is (ultimately, given our ambitions this season) better to be pulling things apart having got three points or proceeded to the next round of the cup than to have dropped points playing brilliantly.

We haven't done well enough yet, no doubt about it we haven't had the start we'd have wanted and Rangers have. But at this stage I'd say that the Dumbarton game was the only awful result and that's just one game. We were unlucky to be narrowly beaten by the best team in the world at Ibrox, well beaten after having dominated the first 40 minutes against the same side in a pre-season diddy cup kick around and done the bare minimum in the other games.

It needs to get better, but an ugly 1-0 again this weekend would be fine. A few weeks then to work on things and improve and build the performances that will make teams fear us later. Yes, we are probably now where we should have been 5 weeks or so ago but there you go. We are were we are. A win at the weekend and a result for QotS against Rangers (not a ridiculous notion by any stretch of the imagination) and things suddenly don't look that bleak.

Yuillsy
28-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Signed for United, just announced on their twitter.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2015, 04:16 PM

If we scrape through games but still win we get away with it. Short-term, for me this is acceptable because you get the same number of points for a scarcely-deserved scraped 1-0 as you to a comprehensive 8-0 pumping.

For whatever reason we look off the pace right now. Fitness, tactics, personnel, whatever. But it is (ultimately, given our ambitions this season) better to be pulling things apart having got three points or proceeded to the next round of the cup than to have dropped points playing brilliantly.

We haven't done well enough yet, no doubt about it we haven't had the start we'd have wanted and Rangers have. But at this stage I'd say that the Dumbarton game was the only awful result and that's just one game. We were unlucky to be narrowly beaten by the best team in the world at Ibrox, well beaten after having dominated the first 40 minutes against the same side in a pre-season diddy cup kick around and done the bare minimum in the other games.

It needs to get better, but an ugly 1-0 again this weekend would be fine. A few weeks then to work on things and improve and build the performances that will make teams fear us later. Yes, we are probably now where we should have been 5 weeks or so ago but there you go. We are were we are. A win at the weekend and a result for QotS against Rangers (not a ridiculous notion by any stretch of the imagination) and things suddenly don't look that bleak.

Yip, thats a scenario we all want this weekend, we certainly dont want to drop anymore point for a while. We cant afford to let The Rangers get too far ahead if we are serious about trying to win this league.

Del Boy
28-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Only on loan though, wonder if we were close to getting him

Lago
28-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Did anyone really believe hibs were in with a chance of signing him?

BoomtownHibees
28-08-2015, 04:24 PM

Yes

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2015, 04:24 PM

I think its good that we were actually interested in him and it does appear we made an attempt to get him. Maybe another reason to be upset about where we are playing our football, because if we were in the top league, i have no doubt we'd have beaten off Dundee Utd to his signature.

StevieBoyKdy
28-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Next

Kojock
28-08-2015, 04:36 PM

One of the reasons we went to La Manga was to hit the ground running, unfortunately we haven't even broke into a jog so far. Only decent performance this season was against Sevco but we still didn't take anything from the game. How many games last season did we dominate but couldn't score and then lost a goal, dropping points in the process. Not seen anything so far this season to suggest we will challenge Sevco for automatic promotion.

Gordy M
28-08-2015, 04:56 PM
One of the reasons we went to La Manga was to hit the ground running, unfortunately we haven't even broke into a jog so far. Only decent performance this season was against Sevco but we still didn't take anything from the game. How many games last season did we dominate but couldn't score and then lost a goal, dropping points in the process. Not seen anything so far this season to suggest we will challenge Sevco for automatic promotion.

And yet we finished 2nd, that was after people predicting we might be in a relegation dogfight. There is a long long way to go. The dumbarton result has overshadowed the start of the seaon, im still confident that we will be challenging.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
28-08-2015, 05:04 PM
And yet we finished 2nd, that was after people predicting we might be in a relegation dogfight. There is a long long way to go. The dumbarton result has overshadowed the start of the seaon, im still confident that we will be challenging.

True, and i keep consoling myself with that. But second, a hundred miles behind first (and automatic promotion), we lost out to Rangers in the playoff. We may have finished second in the league, but ultimately we finished third in a three horse race for promotion last season.

Kojock
28-08-2015, 06:05 PM

Exactly we finished second because by the time we got our act together the poppy thieves were out of sight. If we don't start winning soon Sevco will be the same.

Gordy M
28-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Exactly we finished second because by the time we got our act together the poppy thieves were out of sight. If we don't start winning soon Sevco will be the same.
Yeh my point was that we have lost one game that we shouldve won, you could argue that we shouldve taken something from ibrox but im not losing too much sleep over that. Lets just see where we are after we have played everyone once. Im sure we will not be far behind. If the roles were reversed and we had beat the rangers at easter road would we all be saying that the league is over??

Lago
28-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Yes
I admire your optimisim, but come on:rolleyes:

Kojock
28-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Yeh my point was that we have lost one game that we shouldve won, you could argue that we shouldve taken something from ibrox but im not losing too much sleep over that. Lets just see where we are after we have played everyone once. Im sure we will not be far behind. If the roles were reversed and we had beat the rangers at easter road would we all be saying that the league is over??

We never looked like beating Dumbarton, we huffed and puffed to a 1-0 win over Morton. We should have taken something from the Sevco game but once again we failed to score. If we don't get our act together soon then Sevco will be out of sight after the first round of fixtures.

Gordy M
28-08-2015, 08:36 PM
We never looked like beating Dumbarton, we huffed and puffed to a 1-0 win over Morton. We should have taken something from the Sevco game but once again we failed to score. If we don't get our act together soon then Sevco will be out of sight after the first round of fixtures.
Yep and rangers struggled to beat st mirren and there was nothing in the game between them and us. So what if we huffed and puffed, it was a win. We are not playing well but i think there is much more to come from us. The rangers will drop points, im not conceding anything yet.

bingo70
28-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Yep and rangers struggled to beat st mirren and there was nothing in the game between them and us. So what if we huffed and puffed, it was a win. We are not playing well but i think there is much more to come from us. The rangers will drop points, im not conceding anything yet.

They scored 3 against st mirren?

If we were scoring 3 against teams when we were struggling I think people would be a lot more relaxed.

Baldy Foghorn
28-08-2015, 08:39 PM

:top marks

Long way to go.............

Gordy M
28-08-2015, 08:45 PM
They scored 3 against st mirren?

If we were scoring 3 against teams when we were struggling I think people would be a lot more relaxed.

Yep they did score three, but, and i dunno if you watched it, st mirren missed a pen in the 2nd half at 1-1 and were much the better team. If that had been us we would have folk saying we were lucky thst the pen was missed. My point really was that they will drop points and we will get better.

eastterrace
28-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Yep they did score three, but, and i dunno if you watched it, st mirren missed a pen in the 2nd half at 1-1 and were much the better team. If that had been us we would have folk saying we were lucky thst the pen was missed. My point really was that they will drop points and we will get better.

the rangers were 2-1 up when st,mirren missed the pen. also if you watched the game THE rangers looked like scoring everytime they attacked

Gordy M
28-08-2015, 08:51 PM
the rangers were 2-1 up when st,mirren missed the pen. also if you watched the game THE rangers looked like scoring everytime they attacked
Ah sorry thought it was 1-1 however st mirren were def the better team at that point.at the end of the day all im saying there is a long way to go, and i think they will drop points. Thats all.

Baldy Foghorn
28-08-2015, 09:00 PM

They certainly never looked like scoring every time they attacked against us last Sunday. As for the "free kick" they got, we didn't deserve a loss............

Ronniekirk
28-08-2015, 09:01 PM

No one is asking you to concede anything ,but the fact remains Sevco have hit the ground running not us .Winning breeds confidence we all know that .We kept waiting for Hearts to drop points last Season and it turned out they didn't drop many .
Like it or not we are putting pressure on ourselves ,and Teams like Raith will be well aware of that ,and will make it difficult for us ,as they know we struggle to break teams down .
Tomorrow we have to find a way to win and I don't care how we do it ,but win we must We then need to go on a long unbeaten run IMO ,because as of tonight we are seven points behind Falkirk never mind Sevco .
We will improve ,I have no doubts about that ,,but until then we have to grind out wins .

Gordy M
28-08-2015, 09:11 PM
No one is asking you to concede anything ,but the fact remains Sevco have hit the ground running not us .Winning breeds confidence we all know that .We kept waiting for Hearts to drop points last Season and it turned out they didn't drop many .
Like it or not we are putting pressure on ourselves ,and Teams like Raith will be well aware of that ,and will make it difficult for us ,as they know we struggle to break teams down .
Tomorrow we have to find a way to win and I don't care how we do it ,but win we must We then need to go on a long unbeaten run IMO ,because as of tonight we are seven points behind Falkirk never mind Sevco .
We will improve ,I have no doubts about that ,,but until then we have to grind out wins .

Nope im not looking for anyones approval regarding conceding anything, i really couldnt care less...but it seems some already have? Would you not agree? 3 games into the season??Yes its not been a great start but my point is that there is a lot of football still to be played. I had the same discussion at the start of last season re falkirk, how they were going to challenge us in the league, didnt even make the play offs. Do you think falkirk will finish above us? As i said earlier, once we have played everyone then lets see where we are.

eastterrace
28-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Nope im not looking for anyones approval regarding conceding anything, i really couldnt care less...but it seems some already have? Would you not agree? 3 games into the season??Yes its not been a great start but my point is that there is a lot of football still to be played. I had the same discussion at the start of last season re falkirk, how they were going to challenge us in the league, didnt even make the play offs. Do you think falkirk will finish above us? As i said earlier, once we have played everyone then lets see where we are.

we will finish above falkirk thats a gimmie but we wont win the league with what we have and thats a gimmie as well.