PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Watmore

theonlywayisup
25-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Scores his second goal for Sunderland and called up by England u21s.

Some thought he was not good enough though!!

bingo70
25-08-2015, 08:26 PM

I just don't think he was ready for first team football when he joined us.

Don't think many said he wasn't good enough.

theonlywayisup
25-08-2015, 08:29 PM
I just don't think he was ready for first team football when he joined us.

Don't think many said he wasn't good enough.

Some did though was my point!

FromTheCapital
25-08-2015, 08:30 PM

To be fair mate, the guy was absolutely stinking at Hibs. A lot of things can change in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
25-08-2015, 08:30 PM
He wasn't really good enough at Hibs though.

Not through too much fault of his own but he was kicked off the park in his 1st game, spent a lot of time injured and was ineffective when he did play. The manager, the injuries and the general feel around the club are likely all to blame as well as his inexperience. It was obvious he was a player but he didn't really perform at ER.

GreenLake
25-08-2015, 08:31 PM
He can't play in a league with no refereeing. Had lumps kicked out of him.

Bishop Hibee
25-08-2015, 08:32 PM

This. He was also surrounded by utter dross.

Scottie
25-08-2015, 08:46 PM
This. He was also surrounded by utter dross.
Still is surrounded by dross at Sunderland. :rolleyes:

Matty_Jack04
25-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Still don't think he's very good

hibbytam
25-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Still is surrounded by dross at Sunderland. :rolleyes:

Slightly higher quality dross though.

It's not much of a surprise that he's doing well, he clearly had the potential to become a quality player. It's a shame it wasn't with us.

And yeah, it might have worked out better if he was able to play football without getting constantly kicked, with no punishment. No wonder Scotland struggles to produce skillful players.

Greencore
25-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I thought he was good enough for hibs always rated the boy happy for him:)

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-08-2015, 09:19 PM
I thought he was good enough for hibs always rated the boy happy for him:)

Same

Hibbyradge
25-08-2015, 09:23 PM
I liked him and I didn't understand why we let him go.

#FromTheCapital
25-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Thought he looked a decent player, although surrounded by poor quality in a squad with zero morale. Not surprised he seems to be doing ok at a higher level.

Thecat23
25-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Scottish football is rank. The standard is rank and this lad defo had the ability, shame he was surrounded by utter dros in our team and guys who'd just boot him in the other team.

Personally think he will do well.

bingo70
25-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Scottish football is rank. The standard is rank and this lad defo had the ability, shame he was surrounded by utter dros in our team and guys who'd just boot him in the other team.

Personally think he will do well.

Sorry, don't get your logic.

If Scottish football was rank and he was so good he'd have done well up here.

In sure there's plenty arguments to show Scottish football might not be great but to say it's rank because good players can't succeed here doesn't make any sense imo.

If anything, watmore failing here shows its better than its given credit for.

Thecat23
25-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Sorry, don't get your logic.

If Scottish football was rank and he was so good he'd have done well up here.

In sure there's plenty arguments to show Scottish football might not be great but to say it's rank because good players can't succeed here doesn't make any sense imo.

If anything, watmore failing here shows its better than its given credit for.

My logic is based on him being booted about (Raith first game) he's playing at a higher level than us so I'm pretty sure he's more than good enough to play for Hibs.

matty_f
25-08-2015, 10:04 PM
He came to us at a bad time. You could definitely tell there was a player in there, though.

bingo70
25-08-2015, 10:07 PM
My logic is based on him being booted about (Raith first game) he's playing at a higher level than us so I'm pretty sure he's more than good enough to play for Hibs.

He is now but the evidence suggests he wasn't good enough then.

Maybe getting kicked off the park against raith was all part of his learning curve.

One theory might be he came up here thinking Scottish football was rats, he had a few tough games he wasn't expecting which threw him and he didn't really fancy it.

Regardless, he wasn't that great for us, imo The state of Scottish football can't be blamed for that

Bostonhibby
25-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Good player with plenty potential, not well managed at Hibs I suspect and the clogfest that is Scottish football may well not have appealed to him or aided his progress.

Thecat23
25-08-2015, 10:12 PM
He is now but the evidence suggests he wasn't good enough then.

Maybe getting kicked off the park against raith was all part of his learning curve.

One theory might be he came up here thinking Scottish football was rats, he had a few tough games he wasn't expecting which threw him and he didn't really fancy it.

Regardless, he wasn't that great for us, imo The state of Scottish football can't be blamed for that

It's a fair point there, but I'm still sticking to my point. 😁 Scottish Football is and will be rotten until major change happens. I watched some games at ER and honestly think to myself how some of these guys are pros. Not Hibs players (well not all) but mostly opposition.

Some utter ***** gets played most weeks, same with the Scottish Prem. id love to see some youth coming through who are exceptional but you never see it sadly!

Edit.. He was good enough back then but the tactics and players around him weren't.

bingo70
25-08-2015, 10:17 PM
It's a fair point there, but I'm still sticking to my point. 😁 Scottish Football is and will be rotten until major change happens. I watched some games at ER and honestly think to myself how some of these guys are pros. Not Hibs players (well not all) but mostly opposition.

Some utter ***** gets played most weeks, same with the Scottish Prem. id love to see some youth coming through who are exceptional but you never see it sadly!

Edit.. He was good enough back then but the tactics and players around him weren't.

That's how I see this division, it's an awful standard and why I struggle to get too enthusiastic about any good Hibs players just now.

I do think the top division isn't that bad, folk are too quick to compare it to English football though.

Thecat23
25-08-2015, 10:20 PM
That's how I see this division, it's an awful standard and why I struggle to get too enthusiastic about any good Hibs players just now.

I do think the top division isn't that bad, folk are too quick to compare it to English football though.

I don't compare English football. I watch German, Itailian, Spanish and the quality compared to Scottish really is huge. You just have to look at how our teams done in Europe.

I'm like yourself when it comes to Hibs players, they aren't ever going to be very good because if they were they wouldn't be here. As long as we have better than the rest I'm happy enough.

JimBHibees
26-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Good player with plenty potential, not well managed at Hibs I suspect and the clogfest that is Scottish football may well not have appealed to him or aided his progress.

To be fair to the kid who was very young and raw when at Hibs he had played at Altricham where you would imagine he would be treated as badly or perhaps worse than he was in the Raith game. Got to be said i think MacLean reffed that game and didnt protect him as well as he should have along with overruling a correctly raised offside flag for a Raith goal.

As an aside I was down at Sunderland with my kids team last season and one of the Sunderland community coaches mentioned Duncan as a player to keep an eye on which I dont think I hid my surprise too well, "Really" :greengrin and told him he wasnt hugely impressive when at Hibs but was very raw at the time and he was playing in a very poor team. Saw a bit of Duncan in the under 21 tournament in the summer and he has obviously come on alot as a player and also physically. Hope the kid does well.

Bostonhibby
26-08-2015, 10:02 AM
To be fair to the kid who was very young and raw when at Hibs he had played at Altricham where you would imagine he would be treated as badly or perhaps worse than he was in the Raith game. Got to be said i think MacLean reffed that game and didnt protect him as well as he should have along with overruling a correctly raised offside flag for a Raith goal.
[emoji106] Probably didn't fancy a serious injury having survived that and not convinced he'd have any motivation to work with butcher and mad Maurice either

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Pleased for the lad that he appears to have come on since he was at ER. He did get a bit of a kicking when he was here, but he was a wee bit unlucky in that regard, I highly doubt the Scottish leagues are any worse than most leagues, look at some of the challenges you see in the English leagues on the telly.

At times with us he didn't seem to know what he was going to do with the ball himself, I guess he has matured a bit since then.

GreenArmyyy!
26-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Anyone who couldn't see or didn't think this lad had bags of ability are blind. He was battered senseless by opposing teams in the SPL who seemed to set up looking to injure him. He will be a success in the future.

Bad Martini
26-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Sometimes I am astounded by the revisionism on here...

The laddie played well for us in every game he played (and that was far less than it should have been). He didnt ask to have the **** kicked out him and that injured him. However, I recall sitting in the East Stand on more than one occassion and watching him battering down the wing or chasing hopeless balls.

UNLIKE, the fannies he was surrounded by on the pitch...some of whom were many years his senior and should have known better and given a ****.

I dont know where this Wattmore wasnt good enough for Hibs pish comes from I really dont. Source: My eyes, as seen sitting in the middle of the east for the entire season and watching lots of lazy, overpaid, underworked tubes and we all know where that took us.

As for his prosperity now, I am genuinely not surprised and (I rarely do as I dont give one when players leave us) wish the laddie well. He tried and grafted, got his legs booted every time and still kept coming back for more.

That said, Im sure he'll be giving a **** about what some revisionist thinkers up here believe he is worth...:aok:

Thecat23
26-08-2015, 11:18 AM

The laddie played well for us in every game he played (and that was far less than it should have been). He didnt ask to have the **** kicked out him and that injured him. However, I recall sitting in the East Stand on more than one occassion and watching him battering down the wing or chasing hopeless balls.

UNLIKE, the fannies he was surrounded by on the pitch...some of whom were many years his senior and should have known better and given a ****.

I dont know where this Wattmore wasnt good enough for Hibs pish comes from I really dont. Source: My eyes, as seen sitting in the middle of the east for the entire season and watching lots of lazy, overpaid, underworked tubes and we all know where that took us.

As for his prosperity now, I am genuinely not surprised and (I rarely do as I dont give one when players leave us) wish the laddie well. He tried and grafted, got his legs booted every time and still kept coming back for more.

That said, Im sure he'll be giving a **** about what some revisionist thinkers up here believe he is worth...:aok:

:top marks

WeeRussell
26-08-2015, 11:21 AM
It's a fair point there, but I'm still sticking to my point.  Scottish Football is and will be rotten until major change happens. I watched some games at ER and honestly think to myself how some of these guys are pros. Not Hibs players (well not all) but mostly opposition.

Scotland has produced plenty good young players over the past few years. Unfortunately not many of them stick around at Hibs (or even Scotland).

Probably the best example: Ryan Gauld was a youth player who came through and is exceptional.

Too many too quick to stick the boot into Scottish football because SKY tell them the English Premier league is the best in the world. May not attract the same calibre of player as other countries, but we're not all that bad. The Dundee derby a couple of weeks back was still better viewing than any other match I've watched on TV this season.

It's not Scottish Football's fault if Duncan Watmore looked average at times. I've not seen anything of him, other than a scluffed first goal for Sunderland two weeks ago, to have an opinion on how good he is now.

Alfred E Newman
26-08-2015, 11:21 AM
I don't think it matter what he was like when he was here, he was only on loan, probably to toughen him up.

Thecat23
26-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Scotland has produced plenty good young players over the past few years. Unfortunately not many of them stick around at Hibs (or even Scotland).

Probably the best example: Ryan Gauld was a youth player who came through and is exceptional.

Too many too quick to stick the boot into Scottish football because SKY tell them the English Premier league is the best in the world. May not attract the same calibre of player as other countries, but we're not all that bad. The Dundee derby a couple of weeks back was still better viewing than any other match I've watched on TV this season.

It's not Scottish Football's fault if Duncan Watmore looked average at times. I've not seen anything of him, other than a scluffed first goal for Sunderland two weeks ago, to have an opinion on how good he is now.

The Dundee derby was good to watch totally agree there. But how many youngsters come through and do well these days? just a handful over a few years is terrible it really is and shows the youth set ups are very poor. We are an ageing model and need to adapt to new ways of playing and training IMO.

I don't buy into Sky or any of that ***** either that is not what i'm basing anything on. I'm saying they have a far better calibre of players down south hence why they make major finals. Again on the evidence of Spanish, Italian and German football, Scotland is a very, very poor product! It's not sticking the boot in it's a fact.

WeeRussell
26-08-2015, 11:29 AM
The Dundee derby was good to watch totally agree there. But how many youngsters come through and do well these days? just a handful over a few years is terrible it really is and shows the youth set ups are very poor. We are an ageing model and need to adapt to new ways of playing and training IMO.

I don't buy into Sky or any of that ***** either that is not what i'm basing anything on. I'm saying they have a far better calibre of players down south hence why they make major finals. Again on the evidence of Spanish, Italian and German football, Scotland is a very, very poor product! It's not sticking the boot in it's a fact.

Fair enough points :aok:

Hopefully we'll be appearing at the major finals next year though:greengrin

Shrekko
26-08-2015, 11:30 AM

How's it revisionism?

Do you have any examples of specific posters who said he was great at the time and are now saying he's terrible?

It's just basically people who have a different opinion to yours.

My rough recollection was that Watmore looked like he had potential, didn't deliver much, and peoples opinions on him werent that strong either way. I'm glad he's doing well as he seemed a nice lad, but I just can't see where the revisionism is and no matter how aggressive your posting style is I still can't see it.

Thecat23
26-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Fair enough points :aok:

Hopefully we'll be appearing at the major finals next year though:greengrin

Really hope so too. Been way to long a wait! 👍🏼

Boyle89
26-08-2015, 01:24 PM
How many games did he play? I only saw the raith game and he looked good in that game. Done well for himself. Was he not non league a couple years ago?

Smartie
26-08-2015, 01:33 PM
He looked decent whenever I saw him.

Which was all to infrequently because whenever he was fit he was getting lumps kicked out of him. Understandably he was injured for much of his time with us.

I reckon coming to us will have been an invaluable experience for him. He was clearly a talented laddie but if there is one thing that would make you appreciate being at an EPL club then that would be getting screamed at by the likes of Butcher and Malpas whilst playing for a struggling SPL club.

He'll have gone straight down the road and screwed the nut, desperate never to have to sink to our level again.

bigwheel
26-08-2015, 01:52 PM
I have to say my recollection of Whatmore was that he looked good and got kicked off the park against Raith...came back a few weeks later as a sub and didn't do too much. Started a game a week or so later and didn't particularly get hammered, but didn't do anything to suggest he should be starting...he was then largely unused as I recall - not sure if it was due to injury or just Butchers terrible management. He had some fleeting sub appearances but remained pretty invisible for the rest of his stay..

Craig_HFC
26-08-2015, 01:56 PM
I'll never understand why people constantly compare the Scottish leagues to the English, German or Spanish leagues.

You're lucky if there's 6 million people in Scotland and there's more than that in London alone! England has a population of over 60 million, Germany has well over 50 million people and Spain is similarly sized. There is a far greater chance that there will be better players coming from those countries simply because there is far more people. It's just probability.

The coaching in Scotland (and the UK in general tbf) is miles behind our continental cousins, everybody knows that, but comparing the Scottish game to the English, German & Spanish games is ridiculous and unfair imo.

We're far too hard on ourselves and far too many people believe the hype that Sky feeds us that the English Premier League is the 'greatest league in the world'. The Scottish league is of much better quality than it's given credit for and it's completely frustrating that it's constantly slagged off by it's own supporters.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Good on him, wish him be very best!

Steve20
26-08-2015, 02:02 PM

And those people were right at the time.

Just because he's going alright now doesn't mean he wasn't awful when he played for us. He was awful. Players get better.

Smartie
26-08-2015, 02:07 PM
I'll never understand why people constantly compare the Scottish leagues to the English, German or Spanish leagues.

You're lucky if there's 6 million people in Scotland and there's more than that in London alone! England has a population of over 60 million, Germany has well over 50 million people and Spain is similarly sized. There is a far greater chance that there will be better players coming from those countries simply because there is far more people. It's just probability.

The coaching in Scotland (and the UK in general tbf) is miles behind our continental cousins, everybody knows that, but comparing the Scottish game to the English, German & Spanish games is ridiculous and unfair imo.

We're far too hard on ourselves and far too many people believe the hype that Sky feeds us that the English Premier League is the 'greatest league in the world'. The Scottish league is of much better quality than it's given credit for and it's completely frustrating that it's constantly slagged off by it's own supporters.

(I don't know if this is aimed at me?)

I agree with you 100%.

Our viewing figures suggest that the viewing public are a lot more interested in our game than others would have us believe too.

I've watched a few games involving Scottish teams and a few involving English teams so far this season. I have enjoyed the games involving Scottish teams much more than the ones involving English teams.

But - if your post was aimed at me - the point I was trying to make was that rather than say Scottish football is crap, I was just trying to point out how awful an experience being at Hibs must have been for Watmore. Struggling club, he WAS booted off the park more aggressively than any player I have watched in recent years, terrible management team and fans constantly on the team's back. You simply cannot make any argument that his time at Hibs will have been anything other than absolutely miserable, totally irrespective of how good or bad Scottish football may be.

I'd like to think that it would be very different for any player joining us now. I'd go as far as to say that with Stubbs' youth coaching credentials from his time down South, the good squad atmosphere we seem to have re-discovered, the pressure to win every week etc etc that we'd be an ideal club for a promising young player from down South to come up to and get first team experience.

Craig_HFC
26-08-2015, 02:15 PM

I agree with you 100%.

Our viewing figures suggest that the viewing public are a lot more interested in our game than others would have us believe too.

I've watched a few games involving Scottish teams and a few involving English teams so far this season. I have enjoyed the games involving Scottish teams much more than the ones involving English teams.

But - if your post was aimed at me - the point I was trying to make was that rather than say Scottish football is crap, I was just trying to point out how awful an experience being at Hibs must have been for Watmore. Struggling club, he WAS booted off the park more aggressively than any player I have watched in recent years, terrible management team and fans constantly on the team's back. You simply cannot make any argument that his time at Hibs will have been anything other than absolutely miserable, totally irrespective of how good or bad Scottish football may be.

I'd like to think that it would be very different for any player joining us now. I'd go as far as to say that with Stubbs' youth coaching credentials from his time down South, the good squad atmosphere we seem to have re-discovered, the pressure to win every week etc etc that we'd be an ideal club for a promising young player from down South to come up to and get first team experience.

No my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just venting about the comparisons between Scottish football and English/German/Spanish football!

stoneyburn hibs
26-08-2015, 02:30 PM
He really couldn't have came to us at a worse time. Butcher in charge of a squad devoid of confidence, I think everyone was happy with what he produced against Raith despite having lumps kicked out of him.
His performance that day was what we were all crying out for, something to get you out of your seat in those dark days.
He never really played that well after that. Butchered.
Good luck to the boy.

JimBHibees
26-08-2015, 02:34 PM

I agree with you 100%.

Agree totally it is very easy to parrot criticism of the game to be honest especially so when the supposed leaders of the game, talk it down also. There is no comparison between the size and resources of the league in this country and other much bigger ones who are also disproportionately bloated by TV deals.

I think there are a reasonable number of decent young players in the country and the increase in Scottish players playing in the EPL reflects this. They need an opportunity though and teams like Dundee United have done a cracking job in this regard and hopefully the same will happen at ER. There is no doubt though decent young coaches like Stubbs are very much the way forward for a club of our size than previous managers.

CockneyRebel
26-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Can't see that statement getting much support. I've been watching Scottish football for more than 30 years and it has gone steadily downhill. All the young talent can't get on a southbound bus quick enough and those that stay mostly do so because nobody else wants them. You can't build a team like McLean did at Dundee United nowadays as players don't hang around long enough. You can't blame players for chasing the ££s but it means you get very few settled sides and it shows.

Craig_HFC
26-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Can't see that statement getting much support.

Nope, however the rest of the sentence is the reason why.

Eyemouth Hibby
26-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Anyone who couldn't see or didn't think this lad had bags of ability are blind. He was battered senseless by opposing teams in the SPL who seemed to set up looking to injure him. He will be a success in the future.

Agreed - We just didn't have a clue how to use him effectively or motivate him. Hope he does well - seemed a decent kid

WHAM
26-08-2015, 08:18 PM

I agree mate.

And a lot of the ones who take great pleasure in proclaiming that "Scottish fitba is *****" are the ones who have never had any interest in putting some money back into the game up here by actually going along to matches...but instead would rather "support" their English team by watching the EPL from the comfort of their sofa.

Give me Hibs any day 💚

ancient hibee
26-08-2015, 08:32 PM

I have to say that this is nonsense. 40/50 years ago Scottish clubs were winning European trophies and the national team were qualifying for World Cup finals.Scottish clubs continued to give English and European teams stiff competition -the population comparisons were no different then to what they are now.The difference is that the level of skill in Scottish football is abysmal now as can be seen by the results against foreign teams.This has been caused by the poor ownership of Scottish clubs over the past 30 years who have had no
ambition and haven't had a scooby on how to build the game on the relative success we had.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2015, 07:33 AM

Why do people always quote population levels when they want to defend or decry a nations football achievements? Has Scotland shrunk since it turned out the glut of talent that used to bless the English leagues?

HoboHarry
28-08-2015, 02:49 AM
Can't see that statement getting much support. I've been watching Scottish football for more than 30 years and it has gone steadily downhill. All the young talent can't get on a southbound bus quick enough and those that stay mostly do so because nobody else wants them. You can't build a team like McLean did at Dundee United nowadays as players don't hang around long enough. You can't blame players for chasing the ££s but it means you get very few settled sides and it shows.
It was managers like Jim McLean who caused the Bosman ruling. Perhaps it would have happened in the fullness of time anyway but the ridiculously long contracts they were bullying young players into signing went a long way to seeing that the tables needed to turn.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 09:16 PM
I see he set up the winner for England U-21's tonight v USA U-23's. I dinnae remember much about him so won't comment on what he was like with us.

maturehibby
04-09-2015, 08:54 PM
I see he set up the winner for England U-21's tonight v USA U-23's. I dinnae remember much about him so won't comment on what he was like with us.

He played against Raith Rovers in the Cup and was running rings round them until the put the boot in to him several times injuring the lad quite badly and resuting in him being subbed and was out for a while with the injury - never the same afterwards when he came on - a wee bit like the Alex Harris story at ER

147lothian
05-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I have to say my recollection of Whatmore was that he looked good and got kicked off the park against Raith...came back a few weeks later as a sub and didn't do too much. Started a game a week or so later and didn't particularly get hammered, but didn't do anything to suggest he should be starting...he was then largely unused as I recall - not sure if it was due to injury or just Butchers terrible management. He had some fleeting sub appearances but remained pretty invisible for the rest of his stay..

Aye that's my recollection too, in the Raith am he ran the show and looked a danger every time he put a foot on the ball you could always see that he was a great talent ruined by Butchers hoof ball tactics IMO just imagine a Watmore, in a Stubbs team

HoboHarry
13-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Just read on the BBC that this past week he received a first class degree in economics and business management this week. Well done to the young man......

Alex Trager
13-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Just read on the BBC that this past week he received a first class degree in economics and business management this week. Well done to the young man......

I do recall him saying he was studying just invade he never managed it as a football player

portyhibernian
13-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Remember the Raith game on his debut very well, absolutely disgraceful treatment they gave him that day. Booting him at every opportunity.

Hamish
13-09-2015, 07:59 PM
I was at the SOL today and Duncan came on. He didn't have a lot of time to impress. I was in the away end but he got a huge cheer from the Sunderland fans who seem to rate him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-10-2015, 08:01 AM
I've been away in Greece this week and bumped into two lads that studied at Newcastle.

We got chatting about football and turns out the lads were best mates with young Duncan and popped up to watch and socialise with him regularly.

Thought I'd share some of the things that he mentioned. Firstly he said he thought Hibs was a cracking place and loved his time here however he mentioned that the atmosphere was poisonous and he was told by management to "keep it simple" and not try anything fancy so as not to anger the fans.
Said he thoroughly disliked Terry which he was saddened by as he wanted to like him being an England legend.
Interestingly his pal made a big deal of James Collins who Duncan said was an idiot who drank far too much. He also said there was a guy signed who thought he was amazing and pretty much bullied Duncan ie, not passing in training etc. I think it may be Haynes.
Anyway found it all interesting but did enjoy Edinburgh and said the club had a lot of potential.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Fenriz
16-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Interesting stuff, NorthNorfolk. Infuriating to hear what was going on behind the scenes at that time! Always thought Watmore looked like he had plenty of potential but it seemed to have been drained out of him by the end of his loan.

frazeHFC
16-10-2015, 06:01 PM
For a promising player with clear ability with the ball at his feet it was an awful Hibs team to have to come in to. Reckon he might have shined elsewhere. Good for him though that he's doing well back at Sunderland.

snooky
16-10-2015, 06:26 PM

:agree: The laddie had talent but his shin-pads were far too thin.

Needed a pair of these http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.votesprout.com/replica-images/replica-weapons-AB0076.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.votesprout.com/churburg-sabeton-foot-armour&h=475&w=475&tbnid=auVMpA7nuUWQ4M:&docid=sSYkT2kSnTdgTM&ei=K0EhVrKsI8bo-QGNg57QDQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CEsQMyhIMEg4kANqFQoTCPLtrOXOx8gCFUZ0PgodjYEH2 g

broondog
17-10-2015, 12:38 AM
thought he was excellent in flashes for us but ultimately he was playing in a team low on confidence so couldn't realise his full ability. he has also improved since he left so im not too surprised really

eastmainsmsh
17-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Reminds me of Nick barmby good luck Duncan

NorthNorfolkHFC
17-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Sadly, he loved Edinburgh and really thought Hibs could be a big club.

He was an articulate guy and said he felt let down by terry butcher as he, as an Englishman held him in high regard.

The list was endless but I really detest butcher et al for the poisonous atmosphere he created and allowed.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2015, 06:44 AM
thought he was excellent in flashes for us but ultimately he was playing in a team low on confidence so couldn't realise his full ability. he has also improved since he left so im not too surprised really

Thought he was very poor and can count his excellent flashes on one hand. A young lad with potential thrown in at the wrong time,at the wrong club,by the wrong manager.Hopefully he will go on to carve a succesful career in the game.

bigwheel
17-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Thought he was very poor and can count his excellent flashes on one hand. A young lad with potential thrown in at the wrong time,at the wrong club,by the wrong manager.Hopefully he will go on to carve a succesful career in the game.

Agree with this - other than his first game , he never really put in a performance - a lot of that will have been down to the manager and the team performance - some down to him. That said - delighted he is progressing and wish him all the best in the future !

Smartie
17-10-2015, 09:38 AM

I disagree that he was very poor but I agree that it was the wrong time, at the wrong club and by the first manager.

I'd add that his debut (with hindsight) was also the wrong game to throw him into. Raith's treatment of him that day was scandalous - in my 20+ years of following Scottish football that was the most obviously cynical performance I've seen in physically targeting an individual player. It was disgraceful. And I've SEEN Airdrieonians play.

Lesser men than Watmore might let it get to him (we've seen enough shrinking violets at Hibs go into decline after being with us over the past few years). His time at Hibs wasn't great but I can't think of anyone who would have thrived under those circumstances. At least he stood up and did his best and he did have his moments.

Great credit to him for learning from the experience and kicking on to become the excellent player that he now is.

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2015, 09:45 AM
I disagree that he was very poor but I agree that it was the wrong time, at the wrong club and by the first manager.

I'd add that his debut (with hindsight) was also the wrong game to throw him into. Raith's treatment of him that day was scandalous - in my 20+ years of following Scottish football that was the most obviously cynical performance I've seen in physically targeting an individual player. It was disgraceful. And I've SEEN Airdrieonians play.

Lesser men than Watmore might let it get to him (we've seen enough shrinking violets at Hibs go into decline after being with us over the past few years). His time at Hibs wasn't great but I can't think of anyone who would have thrived under those circumstances. At least he stood up and did his best and he did have his moments.

Great credit to him for learning from the experience and kicking on to become the excellent player that he now is.

Not so sure he fits the excellent player description just yet.

Smartie
17-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Not so sure he fits the excellent player description just yet.

A fair point and maybe that was overdoing it a bit.

But when he was with us he was getting kicked off the park and struggling to make an impact for a team who were plummeting out of the SPL.

He's now impressing the fans at a big club in the English Premiership, a tough physical league with a lot of good players.

To be even getting a sniff at that level then he must be doing something right and he deserves praise for the spirit that has seen him rise above the setbacks he suffered when he was with us.

Relatively speaking, and certainly compared to every footballer we will see this season - he is an excellent player.

Slim Shady
16-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Just come on for England 21s - getting beat 1-0 with 15 to play. Won a penalty, scored one and skinned two on the wing to set up a 3rd.

3-1 final score and wins Man of match award.

mim
16-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Just come on for England 21s - getting beat 1-0 with 15 to play. Won a penalty, scored one and skinned two on the wing to set up a 3rd.

3-1 final score and wins Man of match award.

Incredible the difference he made.

England went from stodgy and clueless to ripping the Swiss to pieces.

Watmore had a great chance a few seconds after coming on and sidefooted over the bar, He then had a header that their keeper saved.

10 minutes later he has been brought down for the equalising penalty and scored the winner.
He then laid on a third in injury time and then fired a shot miles over the bar.

Man of the match and only on the park for 18 minutes.

Famous Fiver
16-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Well done Duncan!!!

Enjoy your champers, you deserve it.

greenlex
22-11-2015, 02:18 PM
New four year deal at Sunderland for the laddie.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Came on as a sub tonight, away to Crystal Palace and performed really well. The Cats won 1-0 :greengrin

Billy Whizz
23-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Came on as a sub tonight, away to Crystal Palace and performed really well. The Cats won 1-0 :greengrin

I'm still not convinced by him, seems to have bulked up though

Jonnyboy
23-11-2015, 08:59 PM

Only time will tell, I guess :agree:

Andy74
23-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Looks more developed certainly.

He has ability alright but he's still looking a bit raw in his decisions.

Billy Whizz
23-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Only time will tell, I guess :agree:

And you've more experience than me to judge him!
I love the way that he runs at defenders, just not convinced that he's top quality

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Sunderland fans are buzzing at him signing his new deal. They were worried he was going to move to a bigger club. I'm absolutely convinced he'll go all the way

Bronson
23-11-2015, 10:18 PM
I liked him at hibs, he was clearly a talented player but he was stuck in probably the worst hibs team ever. Glad to see him doing well for himself, one of the very few I don't blame for that Butcher debacle.

stanton_4
24-11-2015, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0KzPhDGCII

FastEddieFelson
24-11-2015, 04:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34910871

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Sky app comparing him to Pedro this morning, Defoe comparing him with Gareth Bale this afternoon

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-11-2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34910871

Beat me to it haha

ancient hibee
24-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Sky app comparing him to Pedro this morning, Defoe comparing him with Gareth Bale this afternoon

I could compare him to Bale as well.He's nowhere near the level Bale was.He may do OK in the Championship next season.

147lothian
25-11-2015, 03:59 PM
I thought Watmore was always destined to make I in the game, its not his fault he played in probably the worst Hibs team ever and an archaic hoofball system that Sunday League teams gave up years ago

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-11-2015, 09:00 PM
I could compare him to Bale as well.He's nowhere near the level Bale was.He may do OK in the Championship next season.

No offence but I reckon Jermaine Defoe who has watched them both break through at Spurs and Sunderland and had them both as teammates is in a decent place to make such a claim. Bale was a left back at Watmores age who had shown a lot of potential but was nowhere near the player he is now

Colr
25-11-2015, 09:34 PM
I liked him at hibs, he was clearly a talented player but he was stuck in probably the worst hibs team ever. Glad to see him doing well for himself, one of the very few I don't blame for that Butcher debacle.

Aside from being in a crap Hibs team managed by our worst ever manager, I recall Watmore getting next to no protection from referees and being booted off the park. But, hey! That is Scottish football for you. He will not be back for more

hibbysam
27-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Aside from being in a crap Hibs team managed by our worst ever manager, I recall Watmore getting next to no protection from referees and being booted off the park. But, hey! That is Scottish football for you. He will not be back for more

That Scottish cup defeat to Raith was some of the worst thuggery I've seen on a pitch for many a year. He was booted from the moment he stepped onto the pitch!

Velma Dinkley
27-11-2015, 06:24 PM
This guy did nothing at hibs. Then he got injured and did even less. He may go on to be a very good footballer but he certainly wasn't when he was with us. Our manager didn't ask him to be bad at passing, crossing, tackling, shooting etc.

Broken Gnome
27-11-2015, 06:40 PM
This guy did nothing at hibs. Then he got injured and did even less. He may go on to be a very good footballer but he certainly wasn't when he was with us. Our manager didn't ask him to be bad at passing, crossing, tackling, shooting etc.

Did nothing before getting injured in his first 45 minutes of football?

Velma Dinkley
27-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Did nothing before getting injured in his first 45 minutes of football?

Did he do something?

Broken Gnome
27-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Did he do something?

Enough to be the only Hibs player worth kicking the crap out of, aye.

Velma Dinkley
27-11-2015, 07:09 PM

He did absolutely nothing. Good luck to him, though.

Billy Whizz
27-11-2015, 07:16 PM

Was it not Calum Booth who was kicking him?

Broken Gnome
27-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Was it not Calum Booth who was kicking him?

Seem to remember it was a tactical merry-go-round to avoid mass bookings. Cunning.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Wrong order. He had an outstanding debut against Raith where he got kicked to bits from the very first minute. How he lasted the 90 mins I'll never know. He never played for about 7 weeks as a result and then struggled for consistency in an awful team on a horrendous slide with the worst manager to ever grace us. Could tell in the first 10 mins against Raith that he was a player. Sadly they had obv watched the YouTube clip of him that we had all watched on here and decided to kick the **** out of him

147lothian
27-11-2015, 09:39 PM

If that's the case why were the Raith players taking turns to scythe him down in the first game he played for us?

silverhibee
27-11-2015, 10:09 PM
If that's the case why were the Raith players taking turns to scythe him down in the first game he played for us?

And he picked up a niggle/injury (bruising on the bone) in that game and made several comebacks from spells out with the injury, but never really fully got going due to the injury.

Good luck to the lad, seems to be a very sensible chap.

Velma Dinkley
27-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Wrong order. He had an outstanding debut against Raith where he got kicked to bits from the very first minute. How he lasted the 90 mins I'll never know. He never played for about 7 weeks as a result and then struggled for consistency in an awful team on a horrendous slide with the worst manager to ever grace us. Could tell in the first 10 mins against Raith that he was a player. Sadly they had obv watched the YouTube clip of him that we had all watched on here and decided to kick the **** out of him

Nonsense, unfortunately. He might become a great player. I hope he does. But it's a myth that he was battered. He was treated like every player in that game. Then his performance was the result of everyone and everything else? It makes no sense.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Nonsense, unfortunately. He might become a great player. I hope he does. But it's a myth that he was battered. He was treated like every player in that game. Then his performance was the result of everyone and everything else? It makes no sense.

He was singled out in that game from kick off. Definitely wasn't treated like anyone else on the park

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-11-2015, 11:15 PM
And he picked up a niggle/injury (bruising on the bone) in that game and made several comebacks from spells out with the injury, but never really fully got going due to the injury.

Good luck to the lad, seems to be a very sensible chap.

Correct. His injury from that game caused a long spell out-I actually remember it being discussed on here if his loan deal had been cancelled. He then had on/off injuries for the rest of his spell

DAVE1875
28-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Just scored against Stoke

Famous Fiver
28-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Can't believe there are some on here who don't think he is a player.

Lucky his career didn't end that day against Raith. Speaks volumes that he came back from it.

Nothing but good things to say about him. Sunderland will find it hard to hold on to him.

I agree we have had some pretty ordinary loan players (and then some) but Duncan was not one of them.

Tom Hart RIP
28-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Watmore and youngster Sam Stanton were the only players who could hold their heads high, the former making a real nuisance of himself as he ran at defenders, created openings and won free-kicks galore on the outskirts of the box

Copied from Scotsman report of Raith game.

Tom Hart RIP
28-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Best Hibs youngsters debut I saw was John Collins v Man City then Mickey Weir. Duncan Watmore was third unless I'm forgetting someone??

SausageSurprise
28-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Best Hibs youngsters debut I saw was John Collins v Man City then Mickey Weir. Duncan Watmore was third unless I'm forgetting someone??

Zemamma?

Holmesdale Hibs
28-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Can't remember him doing much for Hibs. There was the odd time between injuries that he looked ok but that was it. Didnt stand out in a shocking Hibs side.

Famous Fiver
28-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Opinions, eh.

You think he's cr*p.

I think he's EPL standard.

Funny old world.

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2015, 08:42 PM
The boy might be decent now (I've not seen him) but the myth is growing about the Raith game - be interesting to see what folk are saying about it in a year or 2.

Maybe the epl defences could give him a wee kick and his bottle will crash again.

Booked4Being-Ugly
28-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Opinions, eh.

You think he's cr*p.

I think he's EPL standard.

Funny old world.I don't think anyone's saying he's crap. What some are saying is that during his time with Hibs he was poor, which he was.

Despite him proving myself and others wrong that he is turning out to be a really good player shouldn't distort the fact he wasn't that good at Hibs. I'm not having a go though - I'm just trying to put a bit of perspective on the spin that he was somehow brilliant for us and just never got a chance.

In hindsight Watmore was still developing and maturing mentally and physically whilst on loan to us and the loan period obviously helped his development more than it helped Hibs.

I wish him all the best.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Unless I am missing something , this player was only on loan and there was never any real likelihood of him being our player, so it is not a missed opportunity or even close to the myth of Vaz Te? Just another beat ourselves up for no reason thread. Suppose there was no game the day right enough.

Lucius Apuleius
28-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Personally thought he was going to be a great player for us. My memory is also of him being kicked off the park in the first game. Would have kicked the confidence right out of him and certainly don't blame him for not turning on for a loan team after that. Glad he is doing well.

ekhibee
28-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Replaced Defoe in the game against Stoke today, scored a good goal and was highly commended by Lineker et al in the MOTD studio. He's a good, intelligent young player who will do well in the game. It's just a pity that his period of time with us wasn't the happiest for him. Just my opinion.

NAE NOOKIE
29-11-2015, 10:19 AM
An interesting thread this one .... it might have started as a Duncan Watmore thread ( well done to the laddie ) but it should perhaps now be headed 'lets batter Scottish football'

No our game isn't full of cloggers, I wouldn't say its any worse than any other league around the world for foul play. I agree Watmore did get a kicking in the Raith game, but the whole point is that was unusual which is why it was so noticeable.

In the whole of last season and what there has been of this one I defy anybody to point to an instance ( apart from possibly the Huns in the 2nd ER league game last season and St Mirren this season ) were a team had kicking Hibs off the park as part of their game plan and that's in a division that some folk would have you believe is stuffed with teams full of cloggers.

Scottish football has in the main always been of the physical variety and even the great Aberdeen and Dundee Utd teams of the 80s could dish it out when required, especially Aberdeen.

Famous Fiver
29-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Duncan attracted the unwanted attention of no less a clogger in Shawcross yesterday, so there's more than Raith think he is worth kicking.

He got the same rough treatment against Partick at Firrhill when he was with us but almost pulled us round single handedly with a good goal. One of the best players we have had at Easter Road in the last three seasons.

Just a pity we could not have had Allan, McGinn and Watmore all in the same team. Would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Spike Mandela
29-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Hibs were just a step on his career path and his learning curve. He was farmed out to toughen him up in the same way as we send young players out to lower league teams.

It still amazes me on here how some are so shocked that young players get better as they get older and gain experience. He wasn't a poor player with us, he was an inexperienced one who perhaps had some poor performances. Greater footballing minds had already assessed there was great potential in the lad and good luck to him.

superfurryhibby
29-11-2015, 12:39 PM
We're in danger of a wee bit of revisionism here. He was given very rough treatment by Raith, but it was no more than the full bloodied type of tackle that the likes of Mickey Weir faced week in, week out during his career.

I suppose the modern standard is a tad different though. Must admit to missing the blood and guts of football from the 70's and 80's.

On his debut Watmore looked raw, but talented. Promising and no more. Unfortunately, his issues with injury prevented him making much of a contribution thereafter.

I seem to remember Tam McManus's debut being a bit similar, v them at Tynecastle. He got some rough treatment too.

Thecat23
29-11-2015, 12:41 PM

I think you'll find your talking nonsense. He was clearly singled out that day and his touch and speed was causing Raith problems and they booted him off the park. Not a myth as it was right in front of my own eyes.

The lads a player and it's laughable some of the comments on here. He was injured for a long time and played in one of the worst Hibs sides I've seen. So folk just assume he's crap.

Famous Fiver
29-11-2015, 12:44 PM
As did George Best when confronted with a certain Derek Johnstone at ER.

Some on here would have it that George Best wasn't up to much because he got kicked up and down the park or am I reading it wrong?

Watmore is,and was, when he was at Easter Road, a player. End of.

Heisenberg
29-11-2015, 12:58 PM
You could tell he was good. Just a shame he got badly injured then when he came back wasn't up to speed and playing in a horrendous team who were badly out of form. Good luck to the lad, seemed like a genuinely nice guy with a level head.

FranckSuzy
29-11-2015, 01:12 PM
The boy might be decent now (I've not seen him) but the myth is growing about the Raith game - be interesting to see what folk are saying about it in a year or 2.

Maybe the epl defences could give him a wee kick and his bottle will crash again.

:confused:

Thecat23
29-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Totally baffled by this post!

TheFamous1875
29-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Everything, and I mean absolutely EVERYTHING (injuries, Butcher, tactics, team spirit, Club malaise) went against him and everyone at Easter a Road at that time. It would've been nothing short of miraculous for him to perform to his potential at that time. Even our best player of that half of the season Sam Stanton crumbled. Paul Hanlon the single biggest lost to our cause, IMO. Glad to see him doing so well, though, he seems a good lad. Just a shame he couldn't do it in the green and white!

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Totally baffled by this post!

That doesn't surprise me to be honest.

There's no doubting he was in the end of a couple of heavy tackles v Raith but there's a few folk now close to proclaiming that it was the arrival of Messi II. That's what the myth is.

If that's the part you don't understand.

FranckSuzy
29-11-2015, 04:28 PM

There's no doubting he was in the end of a couple of heavy tackles v Raith but there's a few folk now close to proclaiming that it was the arrival of Messi II. That's what the myth is.

It's the bottle crashing again bit I don't get, if you'd care to enlighten this mere mortal? :aok:

Thecat23
29-11-2015, 04:45 PM

Far from being anywhere near Messi. The lad clearly had talent and did take few heavy tackles.

Part that I'm baffled by is you saying he bottled it? Like FS I'd like to know what you mean? Clearly you know something?

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2015, 04:47 PM
It's the bottle crashing again bit I don't get, if you'd care to enlighten this mere mortal? :aok:

Took a couple of heavy tackles and was rarely to be seen again. The real Messi just gets up and gets on with it.

Thecat23
29-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Took a couple of heavy tackles and was rarely to be seen again. The real Messi just gets up and gets on with it.

But I thought we weren't meant to compare him to Messi? The lad got injured plain and simple, nothing to do with him bottling it.

Glory Lurker
29-11-2015, 04:53 PM
He was obviously learning the game when he was with us. He wouldn't have been out on loan otherwise. It was totally clear at the time though that he had talent and the potential to be a good player.

FranckSuzy
29-11-2015, 04:56 PM

You're the one who mentioned Messi, can't see anyone else doing so. Anyway, Watmore was out for weeks after the Raith game so I'm pretty sure the medical staff must have thought better of telling him to "just get up and get on with it".

Aldo
29-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Not long after he signed I spoke with Gordon Chisholm Sunderland youth coach posted this at time) and back then they had high hopes for him, although still raw! He had watched him at the RR game and thought the Ref was very poor and didn't protect him.

Having seen highlights of him in recents weeks he has filled out has done very very well.

Good on him and I wish him all the best.

If he continues the lad has a bright future ahead of him!

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2015, 05:17 PM
You're the one who mentioned Messi, can't see anyone else doing so. Anyway, Watmore was out for weeks after the Raith game so I'm pretty sure the medical staff must have thought better of telling him to "just get up and get on with it".

He played 9 times yet never recovered from that first game.

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2015, 05:31 PM
After the Raith game he was out for 5 weeks. He only started another 3 games for us, scoring against Partick Thistle. The rest of his games were as a sub.
In all he made 10 appearances and was never on a winning side and only drew a couple or so

Thecat23
29-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Not long after he signed I spoke with Gordon Chisholm Sunderland youth coach posted this at time) and back then they had high hopes for him, although still raw! He had watched him at the RR game and thought the Ref was very poor and didn't protect him.

Having seen highlights of him in recents weeks he has filled out has done very very well.

Good on him and I wish him all the best.

If he continues the lad has a bright future ahead of him!

Spot on. I also think he'll do very well.

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2015, 05:38 PM
He graduates with a first class degree in economics from Newcastle Uni next week. Great achievement whilst training full time at Sunderland.

Liam89
29-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Jeez, who cares whether he was good for us or not in the 5 games he played. WHO CARES?!

Famous Fiver
29-11-2015, 07:16 PM
I care.

This is a forum for Hibs fans to exchange ideas thoughts and opinions on all things Hibs, past present and future.

If you don't like it go somewhere else.

robinp
29-11-2015, 08:01 PM
He graduates with a first class degree in economics from Newcastle Uni next week. Great achievement whilst training full time at Sunderland.

Was just about to post about this. He was speaking a few weeks ago about how his degree was important to him and now it's done he can, for the first time, concentrate 100% on his football.

Jack Hackett
29-11-2015, 08:31 PM
I care.

This is a forum for Hibs fans to exchange ideas thoughts and opinions on all things Hibs, past present and future.

If you don't like it go somewhere else.

+1

As for Duncan...1 league start and 6 subs with 2 goals to his credit compares very favourably with Steven Fletchers 8 starts and 5 subs with 4 goals. The boy is going places and I wish him every success

147lothian
29-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Personally thought he was going to be a great player for us. My memory is also of him being kicked off the park in the first game. Would have kicked the confidence right out of him and certainly don't blame him for not turning on for a loan team after that. Glad he is doing well.

That's what I remember of him too, he stuck out like a sore thumb, was kicked all over the park got injured and we never saw any more performances like his first game, all the best to him thanks for the memories, a player who was always going to make good in the game

147lothian
29-11-2015, 11:04 PM
I think you'll find your talking nonsense. He was clearly singled out that day and his touch and speed was causing Raith problems and they booted him off the park. Not a myth as it was right in front of my own eyes.

The lads a player and it's laughable some of the comments on here. He was injured for a long time and played in one of the worst Hibs sides I've seen. So folk just assume he's crap.

Spot on!

The_Exile
29-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Jeez, who cares whether he was good for us or not in the 5 games he played. WHO CARES?!

Trying to figure out but can't realistically compute the mentality of someone who clicks into a thread which is actually titled 'Duncan Watmore' to profess he doesn't care about Duncan Watmore. Were you expecting the lottery numbers? You're like the miserable auld woman over the road from me who bought a pair of shoes 2 sizes too wee for her feet so she could have something in her life to complain about. Anyway, carry on. :greengrin

Broken Gnome
30-11-2015, 05:21 AM
This thread has lost all logic with today's news that Richie Towell is off to Brighton and could be Premiership next year. And even said he'd been "lucky" enough to have worked with Colin Calderwood previously.

How long before the guy that does all the Irish-based interviews is along to say 'told you so'???

portyhibernian
30-11-2015, 11:46 AM
I liked Watmore, was very raw but you could tell there was a player in there. Remember the Raith game, they were a disgrace that day booting him at pretty much every opportunity. Good luck to him, glad to see him do well.

Stuarty27
30-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Watmore was rubbish for us and in my opinion did not try a leg when he was here. He along with a number of players contributed to relegation.

Up there with the likes of Soares, Francomb, right back from Wolves his name escapes me, Haynes and Boteng with truly horrific loan signings we have had over the years.

allezsauzee
30-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Watmore was rubbish for us and in my opinion did not try a leg when he was here. He along with a number of players contributed to relegation.

Up there with the likes of Soares, Francomb, right back from Wolves his name escapes me, Haynes and Boteng with truly horrific loan signings we have had over the years.

Absolute bunkum, always looked like he was trying and good luck to the laddie

147lothian
30-11-2015, 03:40 PM

It sounds like you missed the Raith game? Then saw some half fit appearances, Watmore, has the pace and skill to gain a 4 year contract in the Premiership, the others you mention can't even do that in the spl.

FranckSuzy
30-11-2015, 10:51 PM

Respectfully, that's a load of p***.

147lothian
03-12-2015, 07:47 AM

I bet you had a re-think after posting that one?

easty
03-12-2015, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't agree that he didn't try, but he was ****.

Aye he got kicked about against Raith, but that doesn't nullify the fact he did nothing else in the other games. The fact he's gone on to do well, or that he clearly had potential are irrelevant to what he actually did in a Hibs shirt.

Give it a few years, if Feruz goes on to do well, will we ignore the fact that he did nothing for us, and blame his non performances on other players not giving him the right passes, or him never quite being match fit?

Saint Hibee
10-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Well, there you go: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/10/sunderland-duncan-watmore-graduates-first-class-degree-newcastle

Famous Fiver
10-12-2015, 05:32 PM
If you by any chance read this, congratulations Duncan.

Some achievement and I admire you very much for what you have done.

Best wishes for the future.

truehibernian
10-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Well, there you go: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/10/sunderland-duncan-watmore-graduates-first-class-degree-newcastle

Us economics graduates ken whits goan on 😉
Seems a great lad and very grounded - refreshing to see. Such a shame he played under Butcher and not Stubbs.

All the best Duncan.

Carheenlea
10-12-2015, 05:39 PM

Well done Duncan :agree: Can`t have been easy juggling this along with top level football.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-12-2015, 10:18 PM

0/10 for this post. Simply wrong on every level

frazeHFC
27-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Just seen an article stating he scored a hat-trick, and Steven Fletcher scored 2, in a 6-0 closed doors match win against Newcastle.

Obviously just a 'friendly' match but doing well for himself!

What a PR disaster. Newcastle battered 6-0 by Sunderland in a 'behind closed doors' friendly! #nufc (https://twitter.com/hashtag/nufc?src=hash) #safc (https://twitter.com/hashtag/safc?src=hash)

147lothian
28-01-2016, 08:39 AM
IMO if you ask any player if they are fit while on loan, of course they will say yes, I can imagine Butcher asking Watmore that very question, then some people seeing half fit appearance after missing the Raith game and forming a misguided opinion on the players potential.

I say well done to the lad, he went through the worst example of a talented player being singled out I have seen, along with incompetent refereeing that allowed it to happen.

I would have loved to see Watmore play in a Stubbs team