PDA

View Full Version : Surprised.

Mango Man
25-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Is anyone else pleasantly surprised at how many players we have been able to sign for this season? I thought with being in this division a 2nd year there would have meant noticeable cutbacks, good to see us investing in the squad for a change. I know we got rid of a few players too but it seems like we have done well with replacements and more.

:flag:

Peevemor
25-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Is anyone else pleasantly surprised at how many players we have been able to sign for this season? I thought with being in this division a 2nd year there would have meant noticeable cutbacks, good to see us investing in the squad for a change. I know we got rid of a few players too but it seems like we have done well with replacements and more.

I genuinely believe that the aim was to get promoted at the first attempt, but I also think that the club will have budgeted for a 2nd season on the championship.

Keith_M
25-08-2015, 01:19 PM
The sale of Scot Allan will have assisted quite a bit, as I'm not convinced we would have had the money to pay the salaries of both McGregor and McGeouch without the fee for Allan.

However, it proves that the club are re-investing money from player sales back into the playing budget.

Now, if only we could start getting the results....

:wink:

Onion
25-08-2015, 01:31 PM

Stubbs and Leanne look like high achievers who know what they're doing. For good, understandable reasons, last season was beyond us, but they'll be even more determined to get us up this time even if we have to go through the PO's. We'll be much better prepared as a club/unit. Expect us to strengthen further Jan.

Smartie
25-08-2015, 01:32 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised this pre-season too. On the face of it Carmichael, Keatings, Boyle, McGinn, Henderson and McGeoch should all add significantly to our threat going forward (our biggest weakness last season). We've been knocked off-course by the Scott Allan saga and had a couple of bad results against The Rangers (even if the performances didn't really reflect that) but there's still plenty to be encouraged by and it is still very early in the season.

I've been pleasantly surprised during all of Stubbs' transfer windows so far.

There's a bit of me wonders where the money's coming from though? This year we've signed Fyvie, The Rangers POTY from last year, McGeoch on a permanent deal. Last year Scott Allan, Malonga and Liam Fontaine all had decent pedigree before joining the club.

None of these chaps will have joined for just sweeties.

Maybe it is all just season ticket sales and shares (and the Scott Allan money) and it does all balance out. It will be interesting to see the accounts for the next few years.

And if the sums do all add up, it will make me wonder even more wtf was going on for the 7-8 years or so before Stubbs joined, as we saw the golden generation sold off and any money we had squandered on utter garbage.

Peevemor
25-08-2015, 01:40 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised this pre-season too. On the face of it Carmichael, Keatings, Boyle, McGinn, Henderson and McGeoch should all add significantly to our threat going forward (our biggest weakness last season). We've been knocked off-course by the Scott Allan saga and had a couple of bad results against The Rangers (even if the performances didn't really reflect that) but there's still plenty to be encouraged by and it is still very early in the season.

There's a bit of me wonders where the money's coming from though? This year we've signed Fyvie, The Rangers POTY from last year, McGeoch on a permanent deal. Last year Scott Allan, Malonga and Liam Fontaine all had decent pedigree before joining the club.

Maybe it is all just season ticket sales and shares (and the Scott Allan money) and it does all balance out. It will be interesting to see the accounts for the next few years.

And if the sums do all add up, it will make me wonder even more wtf was going on for the 7-8 years or so before Stubbs joined, as we saw the golden generation sold off and any money we had squandered on utter garbage.

I think you just answered your own question.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2015, 01:44 PM

I think they've possibly invested with a view to recouping a fair bit in a few years time. McGinn getting a 4 year deal surprised me. I think they'll be looking at getting 2 good years from him with a view to selling him on at a point where he still holds good value as he'll still have a good length of time on his deal.

Onion
25-08-2015, 01:47 PM

Chance to play in front of the Hibs fans at ER swung it :aok:

monarch
25-08-2015, 01:58 PM

To be fair a large amount was spent on ground improvements and East Mains. However there's no denying that we took our eye off the ball regarding the quality of replacements. The fact is that Petrie and STF are good businessmen but lacked the passion of being real football supporters. I believe that Leeann has filled this void.

CockneyRebel
25-08-2015, 02:09 PM
The sale of Scot Allan will have assisted quite a bit, as I'm not convinced we would have had the money to pay the salaries of both McGregor and McGeouch without the fee for Allan.

However, it proves that the club are re-investing money from player sales back into the playing budget.

Now, if only we could start getting the results....

:wink:

Don't forget that we now have Allan's wages freed up also.

Lucius Apuleius
25-08-2015, 02:17 PM
To be fair a large amount was spent on ground improvements and East Mains. However there's no denying that we took our eye off the ball regarding the quality of replacements. The fact is that Petrie and STF are good businessmen but lacked the passion of being real football supporters. I believe that Leeann has filled this void.

I agree. I have always said that infrastructure must come before product. The realignment of the debt is in my opinion why we are now able to bring these players in. I personally think most of them would be capable of playing in the Premiership so hopefully we will find out next season. Hopefully he will also add to the squad before then too.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2015, 04:16 PM
I agree. I have always said that infrastructure must come before product. The realignment of the debt is in my opinion why we are now able to bring these players in. I personally think most of them would be capable of playing in the Premiership so hopefully we will find out next season. Hopefully he will also add to the squad before then too.:greengrin

This is where we have fallen down IMO ...... Failure to fill in the corners. No standing section in the FF. No helipad. We will continue to struggle until these issues are addressed.

Dempster !!! :grr: