PDA

View Full Version : Should we have signed Daly

WestStandMoaner
24-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Just watched STV news and reported Raith Rovers signed John Daly, the Raith manager said a big club in their division tried to sign him last night but he shook hands with Raith and kept to his word.

Was it Hibs?

3pm
24-08-2015, 05:50 PM
No, we shouldn't have signed him.

stantonsboots
24-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Just watched STV news and reported Raith Rovers signed John Daly, the Raith manager said a big club in their division tried to sign him last night but he shook hands with Raith and kept to his word.

Was it Hibs?I think it was probably us but I'm glad we didn't get him.He done nothing at rangers and is constantly injured and we have enough of that already.He was a good player in his day though

Jim44
24-08-2015, 05:55 PM
On BBC news Strachan says that Griffiths refused a loan move to Hibs last year in favour of staying at Parkhead. I remember him opting to work for a place at Parkhead but had forgotten or didn't know about him coming to us.

Sir David Gray
24-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Was it Hibs?

Either us or St Mirren.

Apart from Sevco, who obviously didn't try to sign him, we're the only two clubs in the league which a Raith Rovers manager is going to describe as a "big club".

Pete
24-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Probably St.Mirren.

Franck Stanton
24-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Be interesting to read the comments on .Net IF he scores the winner against us when we next play RR

easty
24-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Be interesting to read the comments on .Net IF he scores the winner against us when we next play RR

Nade did that...I wouldnt have signed him either though.

GreenArmyyy!
24-08-2015, 07:09 PM
No, he's awful.

Bostonhibby
24-08-2015, 07:14 PM
No, we don't need to be any slower - still a no even when he inevitably scores against us for Raith.

overdrive
24-08-2015, 07:15 PM
On BBC news Strachan says that Griffiths refused a loan move to Hibs last year in favour of staying at Parkhead. I remember him opting to work for a place at Parkhead but had forgotten or didn't know about him coming to us.

It happened twice. It was the big Hibs related transfer deadline story. It was said that Hibs had agreed the move with Celtic but then Celtic pulled out at the last minute - I don't think anything was said about Griffiths refusing the move. Then later in the year it was rumoured he would joining one of these "emergency" loans.

thebausburst
24-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Was it Hibs?

Probably, wish we'd got him a fit Daly is a handfull and would of been a significant improvement on Malonga!

Brightside
he's garbage and i wouldn't have in my 5 a side team.

greenlex
Higdon is a better option IMO.

yekimevol
24-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Proper targetman, capable of winning the ball in the air ... Yeah that is the striker we've needed for a few years now to give us a different dimension of attack; cant believe we have missed out on him.

overdrive
24-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Daly would have been decent cover at both centre forward and centre half. Probably nothing more than cover mind you.

Mark79
24-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Knees of glass and about as pacey as me.

No cheers.

Gordy M
24-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Probably, wish we'd got him a fit Daly is a handfull and would of been a significant improvement on Malonga!

Honestly mate, you were on another thread saying our strikers were inept??? And you want to sign john daly?? Really??

McKenzie
24-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Naw, the main reason being he's pish. The other being he's slower than nade.

KWJ
24-08-2015, 09:38 PM
**** no.

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Proper targetman, capable of winning the ball in the air ... Yeah that is the striker we've needed for a few years now to give us a different dimension of attack; cant believe we have missed out on him.

A few years ago I would have agreed.

Thecat23
24-08-2015, 09:40 PM

Possibly one of the funniest posts on .Net 😂

Daly is horrific and finished! Nothing else really to add.

Baldy Foghorn
24-08-2015, 09:42 PM

We play them on Saturday, two things, Daly won't score winner, We will win.....

Thecat23
24-08-2015, 09:43 PM
We play them on Saturday, two things, Daly won't score winner, We will win.....

This.

Ronniekirk
24-08-2015, 10:01 PM
It's a simple straight forward no from me If Raith Rovers have signed him ,good luck to them .

St Mirren are desperate for a few players given they have one out of a possible nine points from their start to season .
I often come on here and moan about Hibs ,but I still turn out to watch them .I can get into St Mirren games for nothing and usually take in a few games a Season and I can Categorically State without any hesitation ,I could not go and watch them regularly ,but I did wear my Hibs top ,and enjoyed watching them beat Hearts in that Cup a Final a few years back . But like a lot of Clubs after winning Finals ,That Team was broken up ,and the Cup run masked thier poor leaugue form that year ,and it got worse and it came as no surprise to me they were relegated last season
Ian Murray has his work cut out for him ,and the more they loose out on players the more desperate they will be to bring in players to appease the Fans .

Hibby Gav
24-08-2015, 11:32 PM
When he left Dundee Utd yes....now...no....god no

ggtth

Smartie
24-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Surely St Mirren already have Steven Thomson for the "over-age, talented but ultimately too slow" position?

Can't see them being interested, unless they are following the Sevco "Ally's grandad army" recipe that brought them failure via the playoffs last season?

I'd have taken the Untied version of a few years ago in a heartbeat but not this latest version. Past it.

Iain G
25-08-2015, 05:13 AM
Possibly one of the funniest posts on .Net 😂

He could be this season's Nade for Raith....

Tom Hart RIP
25-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Scotsman reporting that we made a late bid to sign him.

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2015, 05:24 AM
He could be this season's Nade for Raith....Yeah, him scoring 6 goals is a decent bet. Nade was nothing special, just a solid target man for a ***** team.

Daly is a donkey, we have 4 better forwards and 3 better center halfs.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-08-2015, 05:49 AM
If we made a late bid for him, I can only conclude yon Stubbs felly had a 12 pinter straight after training.

Ronniekirk
25-08-2015, 07:25 AM

Surprised , and wouldn't of wanted him ,but if he signs for Raith Rovers we will be able to see what impact he makes and if he stays fit .Would of thought at the very least we would of wanted to put him through his paces at East Main before offering him a contract :confused:

rodhibs55
25-08-2015, 08:02 AM
No Danger he is finished.

jdships
25-08-2015, 08:35 AM
No Danger he is finished.

:agree::thumbsup:

green day
25-08-2015, 08:40 AM

Scotsman wouldnt know there erchie from their elbow.

Given how we have done our business so far - it would surprise me if we had sat down with JD just because he happened to be at Ibrox working for the radio.

He doesnt exactly fit the Stubbs mould does he?

Andy74
25-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Big guy to cover for a bit up front with Farid out and also at the back. Yes, I could see us being interested.

Brightside
25-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Apologies I will rephrase. I do not believe that the reporters of the Scotsman newspaper are the best at their craft. Barry Anderson et al would struggle to write up the specials in Little Chef.

CallumLaidlaw
25-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Capital City Press on twitter are usually bang on the money with Hibs stuff, and they've basically said we attempted to get Daly.

Andy74
25-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Capital City Press on twitter are usually bang on the money with Hibs stuff, and they've basically said we attempted to get Daly.

I can't imagine we'd have gone all out but worth asking about a cheap short term deal. He'd obviously agreed the Raith thing though do fair play for sticking to it.

HibeeMassive
25-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Heard this morning that Daly was only looking for a very short term contract until he can line up a move to the states, Hibs were looking for a slightly longer deal.

Either way, I'd still be much happier with a fit Farid... (if we can keep him fit)

Keith_M
25-08-2015, 10:53 AM
No.

H18S NX
25-08-2015, 10:56 AM
absol*******utely NOT

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2015, 03:23 PM
RR supporter told me Today we inquired about him, but he had a "gentleman's agreement" with McKinnon. Fair play to Daly for honoring that, but not a player that I would have wanted at Hibs, slow and injury prone.......

We must be seeking additional goal scoring options then.................

scoopyboy
25-08-2015, 03:26 PM
I was told he was offered to Hibs but we weren't interested.

Either way I couldn't care and I'm happy he's signed with Raith.

He might bag a winner against Sevco.

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2015, 03:51 PM
I was told he was offered to Hibs but we weren't interested.

Either way I couldn't care and I'm happy he's signed with Raith.

He might bag a winner against Sevco.

Stubbs saying we may have a couple more coming in.....

erin go bragh
25-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Hell no . Slower than a week in the jail .

GGTTH

scoopyboy
25-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Stubbs saying we may have a couple more coming in.....

Working late Brockie, when did he say that?

I would have thought a left back and a striker but I'm guessing.

I don't think Jamie Insall is the striker, if he signs then I think we will still get another two players.

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Working late Brockie, when did he say that?

I would have thought a left back and a striker but I'm guessing.

I don't think Jamie Insall is the striker, if he signs then I think we will still get another two players.

Quoted in one of the morning papers

Billy Whizz
25-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Quoted in one of the morning papers

I'm presuming Darren is one of them

thebausburst
25-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Possibly one of the funniest posts on .Net 

Check your facts - Daly has a record of almost 1 in 2 for Rangers (50 played 21 goals), issue has been injury and then not getting his game. I don't understand how on this forum you post a view and there is always some smart trying to ridicule you as a bafoon.

allezsauzee
25-08-2015, 05:11 PM
He's about as mobile as Arthur Daley nowadays so no....that said he'll probably score (hopefully no more than a consolation) against us on Saturday

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Check your facts - Daly has a record of almost 1 in 2 for Rangers (50 played 21 goals), issue has been injury and then not getting his game. I don't understand how on this forum you post a view and there is always some smart trying to ridicule you as a bafoon.How many of those goals in the 2nd and 3rd divisions? Scored maybe 3 last season.

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm presuming Darren is one of them

He was quoted as saying delighted to sign Darren, and we might see a couple more coming in?

bigwheel
25-08-2015, 05:51 PM
He was quoted as saying delighted to sign Darren, and we might see a couple more coming in?

On Hibs TV today he said that a striker is now the only position he is looking to add....the most important attribute is that the striker they sign 'knows where the back of the net is'...his quote, :-)

Billy Whizz
25-08-2015, 06:00 PM
On Hibs TV today he said that a striker is now the only position he is looking to add....the most important attribute is that the striker they sign 'knows where the back of the net is'...his quote, :-)

Will the striker be Insall?

bigwheel
25-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Will the striker be Insall?

well, his record seems to suggest that he can score goals, albeit never at the level we are playing at...I get the feeling that it will be someone with a bit more experience than that. My guess is that it will be a last day deal, when players and clubs sort out who they are keeping and who is going out on loan...

Billy Whizz
25-08-2015, 06:06 PM
well, his record seems to suggest that he can score goals, albeit never at the level we are playing at...I get the feeling that it will be someone with a bit more experience than that. My guess is that it will be a last day deal, when players and clubs sort out who they are keeping and who is going out on loan...

He did say in the interview that he has irons in the fire, maybe you're right it will be a last day signing.
Insall's still with us, wonder where this leaves him

emerald green
25-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Why would Hibs need to sign Daly if El Alagui is nearing a return to full fitness. Or is that not the case?

Sir David Gray
25-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I'd rather sign John Daly, the golfer.

IanM
25-08-2015, 06:58 PM
We should just raid Dunfermline for Fayssal El-Bakhtaoui. 10 goals already this season

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2015, 08:10 PM

That would help :greengrin

Andy74
25-08-2015, 08:12 PM
We should just raid Dunfermline for Fayssal El-Bakhtaoui. 10 goals already this season

I thought when we played them that he did some good things but was also pretty wasteful. Think he might be at his level.

IanM
25-08-2015, 08:36 PM
I thought when we played them that he did some good things but was also pretty wasteful. Think he might be at his level.

Could be right, just seems to be able to find the net. Brace against Dundee tonight

craigmounthibby
25-08-2015, 10:58 PM
That would help :greengrin
Jon Daly? No. Levein player.

DH1875
27-08-2015, 09:31 PM
See that he was in todays papers saying that it was us that came in for him last minute.

My_Wife_Camille
27-08-2015, 09:42 PM
A fit Jon Daly would have been a great signing for us in this division. He'll do well for Raith