PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor has left Rangers by mutual consent.

Pages : [1] 2

GlasgowHibee
24-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Get him signed up now.

Diclonius
24-08-2015, 01:59 PM
I can see him wanting to join as well considering he's one of us.

Hibbie_Cameron
24-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Just what we are needing IMO

S4uzee
24-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Get him signed up now.

Absolutely

kaimendhibs
24-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Take him in a minute

zlatan
24-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Thought they could have commanded a small fee for him so seems a strange one. You have to say this ticks every box for perfect signing for both parties.

TheFamous1875
24-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Thought they could have commanded a small fee for him so seems a strange one. You have to say this ticks every box for perfect signing for both parties.

He'll be signing for us very soon, I suspect.

keep the faith
24-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Yes please.

Platinum Scotty
24-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Strange one surely, he was their player of the year last year......but hey if we can get him :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2015, 02:16 PM
He'd be ideal, if we could sign him.

GlasgowHibee
24-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Perhaps this is who Stubbs has targeted when he said he wanted a defender? Mutual consent makes it sound like McGregor wants to come here too.

Godsahibby
24-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Has he not had a history of being permanently injured?

Moulin Yarns
24-08-2015, 02:20 PM
38 games for Der Hun and scored 4 goals as well.

Gordy M
24-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Probably left by mutual consent as didnt want to be seen to knock back a hibs bid for a hibs supporting player??

liamh2202

Certainly not in his young career .don't know his stats from st mirren and rangers

TheFamous1875

Yes, but it's always good to sign players who'll fit in with their teammates from the off :cb

Hibee87
Would tie in with what I heard last week

MB62
24-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Yes, exactly, get him signed :duck: :greengrin

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Mcgregor and Fontaine would be an outstanding pairing at centre half. He is a fellow Leither too, and a massive Hibs fan.!

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Certainly not in his young career .don't know his stats from st mirren and rangers

Think he had 2 serious ones, on opposite knees i think..

BH Hibs
24-08-2015, 02:23 PM
No for me mate. Was never impressed with him against us last season

rodhibs55
24-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Good Hibby, Decent Player, Sign Him.

S4uzee
24-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Can play CH plus RB which is what we need

easty
24-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Mcgregor and Fontaine would be an outstanding pairing at centre half. He is a fellow Leither too, and a massive Hibs fan.!

Hanlon was our best player yesterday. Why would he get dropped?

mmmmhibby
24-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Never shows a level of consistency for a sustained period of games in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. And McGinn was our best player IMO.

ballengeich
24-08-2015, 02:35 PM

He missed the 12-13 season, but's played virtually every game in the past two seasons.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Not sure about McGreggor.

Reminds me a bit of James McPake in that he makes a lot of last ditch blocks and tackles that some fans love but it's often his own poor decision making and positioning that puts him in such a where he has to.

I like defenders that make football look easy.

MB62
24-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Can play CH plus RB which is what we need

We need cover desperately for both positions mentioned above so it sounds like a decent move, IF he and us are interested.

Hibee87
24-08-2015, 02:41 PM

I believe he was out for a long time and done the opposite knee almost as soon as he came back. Hibs were interested in him around this time.

Im also led to believe he HAS signed for us, and fully expect it to be announced imminently. As he did not feature in squad for rangers last LC game I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a starting on wed if Gray is injured

easty
24-08-2015, 02:42 PM
We need cover desperately for both positions mentioned above so it sounds like a decent move, IF he and us are interested.

I'd be happy enough to have Darren McGregor at Hibs, he's a decent player, but Hanlons definitely better.

Billychaotic182
24-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Sign him now! Can't believe they let him go

Brightside
24-08-2015, 02:43 PM

McGregor and Hanlon would be better. Hanlon is a far better footballer than both.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Never shows a level of consistency for a sustained period of games in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. And McGinn was our best player IMO.

bollix. Our most consistent player last season.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 02:45 PM
I'd be happy enough to have Darren McGregor at Hibs, he's a decent player, but Hanlons definitely better.

Agreed 100%. Great squad signing. Would be good in a back 3, can cover injury, and can play RB. Should be announced soon.

easty
24-08-2015, 02:46 PM

:agree:

Been one of our better players every season for the last 5 years in my opinion.

JJP
24-08-2015, 02:46 PM
We could do with a right sided centre half and competition for places at the back. McGregor may be the man to fill that role. I wouldn't hold any performances for Rangers last season against him either. Their entire team last season was woefully unfit thanks to the awful McCoist/McDowell coaching set up. Fact that he is a Hibby doesn't hurt either but shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Since90+2
24-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Darren was never a massive football fan growing up. If you asked him he would say Hibs but he was always more interested in playing the game than supporting.

Danny_Hibee
24-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Good/hard defender but not comfy on the ball at all. Not ideal if we are wanting to build from the back

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Coming our way soon.

Similar to Keatings, wait until he is released before signing him.

It's cheaper don't you know.

Stokesy's on fire
24-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Get him signed up now.

agree and he's a hibee!! One of sevcos best players by far he's more than welcome.

bigwheel
24-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Coming our way soon.

Similar to Keatings, wait until he is released before signing him.

It's cheaper don't you know.

is that with info Scoops, or a hunch?

TheFamous1875
24-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Good/hard defender but not comfy on the ball at all. Not ideal if we are wanting to build from the back

Hanlon's great on the ball, so we're sorted for that option if needed. Personally, I just want us to get forward at pace and break teams down.

lyonhibs
24-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Not hugely enthused by that prospect. He was absolutely honking against us in the 4-0 and I'd prefer a signing that is a bit more "out of the box" thinking than a released Rangers player.

But we need defenders to push Hanlon and Fontaine, so I'll adopt the "in Stubbs we trust" approach here if he signs up.

JimBHibees
24-08-2015, 02:52 PM

Not sure about that was he even quoted for any of the player of the year awards.

There is definitely a player in Paul however he still to me has some of the same weaknesses he has had for a number of years. Could be more physical and commanding and concentration at times could be better. To counter balance that he reads the game well, has a decent turn of pace and distribution usually good. You might be right about Paul and McGregor being a decent partnership as they compliment each other quite well and would allow Paul to go to left centre back. McGregor would provide good competition which is required IMO.

Lee Marvin
24-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Take him in a heartbeat.

Hanlon was good on Sunday, but over the piece I would much rather have McGregor. Can cover right back too.

I reckon this is a stick on.

TheFamous1875
24-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Not hugely enthused by that prospect. He was absolutely honking against us in the 4-0 and I'd prefer a signing that is a bit more "out of the box" thinking than a released Rangers player.

But we need defenders to push Hanlon and Fontaine, so I'll adopt the "in Stubbs we trust" approach here if he signs up.

Not sure about that was he even quoted for any of the player of the year awards.

There is definitely a player in Paul however he still to me has some of the same weaknesses he has had for a number of years. Could be more physical and commanding and concentration at times could be better. To counter balance that he reads the game well, has a decent turn of pace and distribution usually good. You might be right about Paul and McGregor being a decent partnership as they compliment each other quite well and would allow Paul to go to left centre back. McGregor would provide good competition which is required IMO.

Spot on with that. There should be competition for all positions in the squad; the best squads always have this, and this is what we should have every year - a fully built squad with all the options and strength in depth. It's the basics.

Cabbage1875
24-08-2015, 02:57 PM
What attributes does Hanlon have, as a centre back remember, that make him better than McGregor?

The Hanlon love over the years has amazed me. I think people are blinkered by the fact he came through our youth system. He is a weak link for me and has been for many years where our club has been in a spiral of decline. Not blaming Paul solely for that but he has been a major contributor for me. Doesn't inspire/motivate; is weak in the air and in the tackle and gets bullied all too often.

Darren McGregor would be a massive upgrade for me and I really hope we have given him the nod.

Big Sexy Dave
24-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Heard he's signing for us. No idea how long the contract is though.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:04 PM
What attributes does Hanlon have, as a centre back remember, that make him better than McGregor?

The Hanlon love over the years has amazed me. I think people are blinkered by the fact he came through our youth system. He is a weak link for me and has been for many years where our club has been in a spiral of decline. Not blaming Paul solely for that but he has been a major contributor for me. Doesn't inspire/motivate; is weak in the air and in the tackle and gets bullied all too often.

Darren McGregor would be a massive upgrade for me and I really hope we have given him the nod.

He's a footballer. Many people have an outdated idea that CH's should just be big physical lumps that out jump everyone and send players and ball into row Z. Paul reads the game better than any CH in this league and most on the top league. This rubbish about him getting bullied comes out every time he misses out on one challenge in the game. Some on hear would rather he got booked every game.

Darren is a typical old fashioned CH. But he is not a ball player and that is the reason that Rangers are letting him go. He's a great addition to the squad but no way is a better player than Paul Hanlon.

Also this idea that he is somehow to blame for the decline of the team as he's the one that is still there... Why have none of the mgrs. replaced him when they have been busy replacing everyone else?

bigwheel
24-08-2015, 03:04 PM
There would be a certain irony, them trying to sign our player of the year - getting nowhere and us ending up signing their player of the year..

200+ first team games...i'd take him without a doubt.

Since90+2
24-08-2015, 03:11 PM
He's a footballer. Many people have an outdated idea that CH's should just be big physical lumps that out jump everyone and send players and ball into row Z. Paul reads the game better than any CH in this league and most on the top league. This rubbish about him getting bullied comes out every time he misses out on one challenge in the game. Some on hear would rather he got booked every game.

Darren is a typical old fashioned CH. But he is not a ball player and that is the reason that Rangers are letting him go. He's a great addition to the squad but no way is a better player than Paul Hanlon.

Also this idea that he is somehow to blame for the decline of the team as he's the one that is still there... Why have none of the mgrs. replaced him when they have been busy replacing everyone else?

Darren McGregor is faster , stronger , better in the air and harder in the tackle.

I also dont agree with your assessment that Hanlon reads the game better than almost every defender in the country. He is not even the best centre half at Hibs currently.

JimBHibees
24-08-2015, 03:14 PM

It really isnt rubbish though is it - I can remember watching Nish bullying him at ER a couple of years back, won every header. Cifcti used him as a ragdoll also. To me yep it is good he is a footballer however you do need the balance and it is an area he could improve. It is probably the reason he is still at Hibs as not sure he could cut it in England for that reason as players tend to be bigger and more physical.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Darren McGregor is faster , stronger , better in the air and harder in the tackle.

I also dont agree with your assessment that Hanlon reads the game better than almost every defender in the country. He is not even the best centre half at Hibs currently.

Ok. Faster, stronger, better but deemed not good enough for the current Rangers team that gave Hibs 4 glaring opportunities right in the area where the CHs should be.....

mmmmhibby

Nae bother then, you take happy-clapping to a whole new level dude.

easty

So would you say we conceded less goals than McGregor's Rangers side last season in spite of, rather than because of, Hanlon?

Hanlon reads the game really well. I'd love him to have a bit more bite to him, but that's not the sort of player he is. He's not weak in the air, he's not weak in the tackle and he does motivate.

We wouldn't even be in this division if he hadn't been injured, IMO.

If we sign McGregor, I bet it's not Hanlon who finds himself sitting watching from the bench.

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 03:17 PM

So because he played well yesterday we shouldnt look to improve if we can?? Thats just mad??

easty
24-08-2015, 03:18 PM
So because he played well yesterday we shouldnt look to improve if we can?? Thats just mad??

So because we might sign a boy who can play centre half, we drop the best player from our previous game? That's what would be mad.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:19 PM
It really isnt rubbish though is it - I can remember watching Nish bullying him at ER a couple of years back, won every header. Cifcti used him as a ragdoll also. To me yep it is good he is a footballer however you do need the balance and it is an area he could improve. It is probably the reason he is still at Hibs as not sure he could cut it in England for that reason as players tend to be bigger and more physical.

Of course he could improve... he's far from perfect.

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 03:21 PM
McGregor and Hanlon would be better. Hanlon is a far better footballer than both.

Would definitley give us good options at centre half when you throw Forster into the mix. 3 centre halfs would be a shout with Hanlon more of a sweeper..

Franck Stanton
24-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Agreed 100%. Great squad signing. Would be good in a back 3, can cover injury, and can play RB. Should be announced soon.

Opinion or do you have your usual insider info ? Personally I hope he does sign.

P.S. Well done with the McGeoch saga, you called it early and correctly - take note all you doubting Thomas's

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Nae bother then, you take happy-clapping to a whole new level dude.

nah just use my eyes and my experience to comment on players attributes. every player assessed on what they do on the pitch. Paul Hanlon is the least of Hibs problem.

Since90+2
24-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Ok. Faster, stronger, better but deemed not good enough for the current Rangers team that gave Hibs 4 glaring opportunities right in the area where the CHs should be.....

I am not sure you can blame him for not playing yesterday. The manager came in and has brought in his own players and changed things with is every managers prerogative, McGregor won Rangers player of the year last year and was generally the one player that always got pass marks from their fans.

Hanlon is physically weak for a centre half. He is bullied all too often and does not read the game anything like aswell as you say.

As someone else pointed out he has been at the heart of the defence during the clubs steady decline over the years. He cant be blamed for the decline himself , but he has to shoulder a responsibility for some of it.

A pairing of McGregor and Fontaine would be far superior.

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 03:25 PM
So because we might sign a boy who can play centre half, we drop the best player from our previous game? That's what would be mad.

I never said to drop him, and i never said when either.. I said him and fontaine would be a good pairing, whats the problem with that?

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Opinion or do you have your usual insider info ? Personally I hope he does sign.

P.S. Well done with the McGeoch saga, you called it early and correctly - take note all you doubting Thomas's

I think others have already called it. He is expected to be announced.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:28 PM
I never said to drop him, and i never said when either.. I said him and fontaine would be a good pairing, whats the problem with that?

I actually agree that a back 3 shows Hibs at their best... and Hanlon is best at Sweeper in that 3 as he is the best footballer.

Shrekko
24-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Why's it always Hanlon?

Paul's maybe not perfect but.. some of Fontaine's general wandering about positional play this year has been school-boyish.

madhatter
24-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Why are people arguing about who he should replace if he does come? Surely it is more about competition and if you dont play well in the last game then you are out?

McGregor could be great cover at RB at the moment as well. I'd rather have Hanlon and Fontaine pushed by someone. I think we'd be title contenders with two CBs (one who can play right back) and a LB (competition because Lewie hasnt been great this season).

I think we need more guile from midfield and strikers against lower opposition as they need more confidence in their ability. Hendo will hopefully inspire others as he seems to have tons of confidence. I don't think we really need to improve either midfield or attack. Defence is threadbare.

Thecat23
Hanlon is far from perfect and he does do some stupid things as times. But Sunday showed what he can do too, he was solid and played his best game in a while. Not sure if he finds it easier against better standard as he seems to struggle a bit against lesser teams if that makes sense.

Fontaine needs to up his game as well, good player but needs to be doing it week in week out. Oh and Id take Darren in a heart beat. My opinion for what it's worth he's a better footballer than Hanlon and Fontaine, but not sure about better in the air!

Brightside
Why's it always Hanlon?

Paul's maybe not perfect but.. some of Fontaine's general wandering about positional play this year has been school-boyish.

Yeh but Fontaine is big and strong and has tattoos.

GreenCastle
24-08-2015, 03:30 PM
We need competition for places - the back 5 (including GK picks itself currently).

With Gray and Forster injured - that leaves us 3 1st team defenders and 2 untried youngsters.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/team/first

Yes Dylan can play right back but more effective in midfield.

Players at the back can get away with mistakes and not be dropped - McGregor can play 2 positions - has experience and will bring leadership.

Still believe though we need another left sided winger and Mixu type striker - relying on Keatings and Farid is a gamble.

easty
24-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Well, aye, you didn't literally say you'd drop him, but you did say McGregor and Fontaine would be a good pairing...which kind of implies you'd drop him. I mean, I'm nae Sherlock Holmes, but I think I'd managed to work out from the lack of Hanlons name in the pairing that you would be dropping him.

TheFamous1875
24-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Darren McGregor would be a great signing - more of a 'no nonsense' centre half but that's maybe what we need. Paul Hanlon is an ever-improving star of our team and has been for a few years now. They're both different types of player; both options can be used for different situations. If it's a tussle with a big centre-forward that's expected, McGregor's your man; if it's a steady build from the back, positional awareness and intelligence that you need, Hanlon's the man. McGregor signing would be class; gives Hanlon, Fontaine, Forster AND Gray competition for positions which is what you need in a good squad. He's also a Hibee and a Leither and will be able to bring more understanding of what's expected at the club by the fans and the area to his teammates - you can never have too much of that in a dressing room.

He'd be an absolutely great signing for us - not a star by any means, but exactly what our squad needs.

McGregor, a left-back, a pacy left-footed-winger (star player) and we're ready.

Franck Stanton
24-08-2015, 03:37 PM
I think others have already called it. He is expected to be announced.

Thanks US, posted prior to reading every post, saw Scoopyboy's post, If it happens, good news.

Since90+2
24-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Kind of important for a centre half , no?

Franck Stanton
24-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Darren McGregor would be a great signing - more of a 'no nonsense' centre half but that's maybe what we need. Paul Hanlon is an ever-improving star of our team and has been for a few years now. They're both different types of player; both options can be used for different situations. If it's a tussle with a big centre-forward that's expected, McGregor's your man; if it's a steady build from the back, positional awareness and intelligence that you need, Hanlon's the man. McGregor signing would be class; gives Hanlon, Fontaine, Forster AND Gray competition for positions which is what you need in a good squad. He's also a Hibee and a Leither and will be able to bring more understanding of what's expected at the club by the fans and the area to his teammates - you can never have too much of that in a dressing room.

He'd be an absolutely great signing for us - not a star by any means, but exactly what our squad needs.

McGregor, a left-back, a pacy left-footed-winger (star player) and we're ready.

Agree with 99% of your post, only think if we do get McGregor we would effectively be playing with a back 3 and for most games wouldn't need a left back as such, more of a left wingback.

Shrekko
24-08-2015, 03:41 PM

It is, and I'd like to see him just stick to his strengths.

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Well, aye, you didn't literally say you'd drop him, but you did say McGregor and Fontaine would be a good pairing...which kind of implies you'd drop him. I mean, I'm nae Sherlock Holmes, but I think I'd managed to work out from the lack of Hanlons name in the pairing that you would be dropping him.

Quite bizzare post! Dont see why your making a big deal out of it tbh..

easty
24-08-2015, 03:44 PM

It can be a bonus aye, there have been plenty big strong centre halves who've been diddys though.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:45 PM

Give me a couple of ball players in there rather than a couple of doormen any day of the week.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2015, 03:52 PM
If this is true, i'm glad Stubbs is actively looking for someone to replace Hanlon.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:53 PM
If this is true, i'm glad Stubbs is actively looking for someone to replace Hanlon.

hahaha and you can £$%^ right off for starters!

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Personally i think fontaine is better than hanlon,and by quite a distance

Brightside
24-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Certainly not this season. Both are very different players and I like them both in the team.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2015, 03:58 PM
hahaha and you can £$%^ right off for starters!

:greengrin He did play well yesterday. :wink:

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Certainly not this season. Both are very different players and I like them both in the team.

I thought he helped Hanlons game improve last season. Thought they both played well yesterday. For me Fontaine is better though

B.H.F.C

I think Hanlon and Fontaine have both been equally poor so far this season.

They both played well yeaterday with Hanlon, perhaps, marginally better.

California-Hibs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJAsImrhVOU

I'd take him.

Thecat23
24-08-2015, 04:00 PM

That made me laugh 😁

Fontaine has been poor in fact I'll be honest up until the game yesterday both have been very poor in the couple of games played. Basic things like clearing their lines, talking to each other and defending set pieces they were like two guys off the street who'd just met and played for the first time.

Grey is another that's looked well off the pace. I think he's been carrying an injury as he's not looked half the player he was last season. Time to cut out the basic stuff guys and play like we did on Sunday! Well first half anyway.

Thecat23
24-08-2015, 04:01 PM
I think Hanlon and Fontaine have both been equally poor this year so far this season.

They both played well yeaterday with Hanlon, perhaps, marginally better.

Totally agree.

Smartie
24-08-2015, 04:04 PM
We've lost one goal in our last 2 games, a raker of a free-kick from near the corner flag and we're back to bickering about our centre-halves?

Fontaine, Hanlon and Forster are excellent players. As is Darren McGregor.

As it happens, so are David Gray (when fit) and Lewis Stevenson (when on form, as he normally is,hasn't been so much lately but was back to looking more like himself yesterday).

McGregor would be a superb signing. We need someone who can play centre-half, we need someone who can play right-back and we need players who aren't just squad players but those who will challenge and hold down first-team places. he ticks all boxes.

We also need to be able to be able to play our preferred formations even when we have players out injured i.e. not being able to play 3-5-2 just because Forster is injured is a disaster.

If McGregor joins then we are positively blessed in the defensive department.

Back to creating and taking chances then……..

Billychaotic182
24-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Sure he is a right back too so would be cover if Gray has picked up a knock

GreenCastle
24-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Considering we have several left footers...

Stevenson
Hanlon
Fontaine
McGinn
Henderson
Cummings
Stanton

I still don't think we have enough cover at left back and we need a decent fast left winger.

Caversham Green
24-08-2015, 04:17 PM
There would be a certain irony, them trying to sign our player of the year - getting nowhere and us ending up signing their player of the year..

200+ first team games...i'd take him without a doubt.

I'm wondering why Sevco didn't offer him as part of a deal for Allan - their player of the year plus cash for our player of the year doesn't sound too bad.

Also, if he's already signed as some are suggesting, have Hibs been tapping up a Sevco player?

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 04:22 PM
is that with info Scoops, or a hunch?

Somewhere in between.

tamig
24-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Can't agree with much of that. Hanlon has improved the physical side of his game hugely over the past couple of years. He rarely gets bullied these days and I'm not sure what makes you think he's poor in the air. He's also comfortable on the ball and is almost as comfortable with his right foot as his left. Really don't get your assessment at all tbh.

SaulGoodman
24-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Hanlon at LB??

Two birds one stone

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I am not sure you can blame him for not playing yesterday. The manager came in and has brought in his own players and changed things with is every managers prerogative, McGregor won Rangers player of the year last year and was generally the one player that always got pass marks from their fans.

Hanlon is physically weak for a centre half. He is bullied all too often and does not read the game anything like aswell as you say.

As someone else pointed out he has been at the heart of the defence during the clubs steady decline over the years. He cant be blamed for the decline himself , but he has to shoulder a responsibility for some of it.

A pairing of McGregor and Fontaine would be far superior.

Have you ever wondered why Paul plays RHS and Liam plays LHS?

I know the answer but I'm wondering if you do.

Borderhibbie76
24-08-2015, 04:27 PM
We've lost one goal in our last 2 games, a raker of a free-kick from near the corner flag and we're back to bickering about our centre-halves?

Fontaine, Hanlon and Forster are excellent players. As is Darren McGregor.

As it happens, so are David Gray (when fit) and Lewis Stevenson (when on form, as he normally is,hasn't been so much lately but was back to looking

more like himself yesterday).

McGregor would be a superb signing. We need someone who can play centre-half, we need someone who can play right-back and we need players who aren't just squad players but those who will challenge and hold down first-team places. he ticks all boxes.

We also need to be able to be able to play our preferred formations even when we have players out injured i.e. not being able to play 3-5-2 just because Forster is injured is a disaster.

If McGregor joins then we are positively blessed in the defensive department.

Back to creating and taking chances then……..

Im with you on this 100% smartie...defence is the least of our worries imo...yes we need a bkt more competition and signing mcgregor if tru will solve that.

But going by the first 3 league matches...its both creation and taking of chances that are the issue presently

Hibby 2005
24-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Enlighten us :-)

HibbyKeith
24-08-2015, 04:29 PM

He's fallen out with Stevenson? :D

bigwheel
24-08-2015, 04:31 PM
I really am astonished some of the view of Hanlon on this thread...weak as a Centre Back - maybe two years ago yes, Did those people not notice him bully Waghorn of the ball two of three times yesterday??

And as another poster says - why do you think Hanlon is playing RHS and Fontaine LHS....Does that suggest that Stubbs feels Hanlon is the weaker of the two??

Hanlon has turned into a good centre half . Would easily get a move if he chose too...

McGregor is a different player...and exactly the right mix of skills that will compliment what we have got..will be delighted if we sign him.

Greenworld
24-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Hanlon at LB??

Two birds one stone
Dont think he has the pace for full back

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cabbage1875
24-08-2015, 04:34 PM
I really am astonished some of the view of Hanlon on this thread...weak as a Centre Back - maybe two years ago yes, Did those people not notice him bully Waghorn of the ball two of three times yesterday??

And as another poster says - why do you think Hanlon is playing RHS and Fontaine LHS....Does that suggest that Stubbs feels Hanlon is the weaker of the two??

Hanlon has turned into a good centre half . Would easily get a move if he chose too...

McGregor is a different player...and exactly the right mix of skills that will compliment what we have got..will be delighted if we sign him.
Ah so you think it's Hanlon's choice he hasn't moved on?

I'm fully aware Hanlon has a fan club so it was probably silly to get involved. He certainly divides the support!

tamig
24-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Not a chance that has been the case so far this season.

StarMan10
24-08-2015, 04:35 PM
If he was to replace either of the centre-halfs I'd hope it was Fontaine as personally I think his positioning can be woeful at times. That and the fact he can't seem to direct a header on goal ever! Still think he's a useful player who has some standout games but I'd be happier with a Hanlon-McGregor partnership than Fontaine-McGregor.

easty
24-08-2015, 04:36 PM

I'm fully aware Hanlon has a fan club so it was probably silly to get involved. He certainly divides the support!

Fan club talk is cringey as **** in my opinion.

How are things in the 'Nae Paul Hanlons Allowed' club anyway?

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Im not getting this rhs / lhs thing.. Obviously i know they are both left footed, is the suggestion that stubbs rates hanlon more than fontaine because of that??

Leith Green
24-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Not a chance that has been the case so far this season.

Fair doos, and i wouldnt disagree with that. I was basing my opinion on them since Fontaine joined last year. To be honest this season has been a pig and a poke between them both. For what its worth i do like Hanlon ..

tamig
24-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Im not getting this rhs / lhs thing.. Obviously i know they are both left footed, is the suggestion that stubbs rates hanlon more than fontaine because of that??

I think the suggestion is that he's the more intelligent footballer, reads the game better and as a result the manager trusts him to play outside his "own" position.

EskbankHibby
24-08-2015, 04:45 PM
I thought McGregor looked slow and distribution not the best when seen previously. He is however a committed physical player and there is no way that Hanlon and Fontaine will go through the whole season injury an suspension free, same goes for Gray and Forster and he can cover there also.

The truth is that filling your team with footballers alone does not get you out of this league. We need to compete physically with teams who are well organised, get bodies behind the ball and play percentage/stuffy football. Handy for set pieces too, would welcome him.

Brightside
24-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I think the suggestion is that he's the more intelligent footballer, reads the game better and as a result the manager trusts him to play outside his "own" position.

That's a fact that the coaches will happily confirm if asked.

Jim44
24-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Get him signed up now.

Maybe the proviso was that he couldn't sign for Sevco's main rivals.:stirrer:

Andy74
Surely Rangers aren't just going to release a player so we can sign him?

Smartie
McGregor never struck me as the worst player any time we played Rangers last season.

The last time I remember him standing out in a game was in our game away to St Mirren not long before we were relegated.

It was fairly no-frills stuff but I thought he was superb. Stand in the right place, knock it away when it came near you etc, contributed a lot to their shut-out that day.

We had, of course, lost a goal from between our 2 centre-halves from the kick-off at the start of the match.

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 04:51 PM

The reason is because Fontaine can't play on the right whereas Hanlon can.

Paul would be better where Liam plays but when the two of them play together it is Paul that has to go right.

I want McGregor to sign as IMO we need 4 centre backs and for me two right and two left is the ideal mix. Also it can help with cover at both full backs.

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Time will tell Andy.

Same scenario as Hearts with James Keatings.

SaulGoodman
24-08-2015, 04:52 PM
The reason is because Fontaine can't play on the right whereas Hanlon can.

Paul would be better where Liam plays but when the two of them play together it is Paul that has to go right.

I want McGregor to sign as IMO we need 4 centre backs and for me two right and two left is the ideal mix. Also it can help with cover at both full backs.
How does Paul feel about playing LB? Is he comfortable there?

tamig
24-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Why wouldn't he be - he's played there often enough. Centre-half is his preferred position though.

Andy74
Time will tell Andy.

Same scenario as Hearts with James Keatings.

One pretty big difference, however.

scoopyboy

He preferred it at one time IIRC.

I guess it would depend who he was up against.

I would rather we signed a left back, used Lewis as cover and played Paul if it was really needed.

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 04:56 PM
One pretty big difference, however.

What is it.

Cabbage1875
24-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Fan club talk is cringey as **** in my opinion.

How are things in the 'Nae Paul Hanlons Allowed' club anyway?

He can do no wrong in many on this site's eyes. Funny he has never had a move or even really been linked with anyone.

Must come a time where something has to give.

Aldo
24-08-2015, 04:58 PM
If we do sign MacGregor wonder if we will play
3 5 2 with Boyle as one of the wing backs where he was very effective at the end of last season? Would possibly be the case dependant on Grays injury.

Aldo
24-08-2015, 05:00 PM
He can do no wrong in many on this site's eyes. Funny he has never had a move or even really been linked with anyone. Must come a time where something has to give. If you cannot see PH is a very intelligent and consistent footballer for this club then there is something far wrong. He was part of a defence that conceded the 3rd least goals in Scotland. He was also excellent yesterday!

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 05:01 PM
He can do no wrong in many on this site's eyes. Funny he has never had a move or even really been linked with anyone.

Must come a time where something has to give.

He has never had a move because he hasn't progressed as well as many would have liked including me.

He did have offers when Butcher told him he was free to go.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2015, 05:02 PM

He had a break clause if a bigger team came in for him apparently ;)

Stokesy's on fire
24-08-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm wondering why Sevco didn't offer him as part of a deal for Allan - their player of the year plus cash for our player of the year doesn't sound too bad.

Also, if he's already signed as some are suggesting, have Hibs been tapping up a Sevco player?

I thought the same regarding a Part Exchange deal

The things is Sevco are ran by dodgy crooks who have nae idea what they are doing.

cam75
24-08-2015, 05:04 PM
3-5-2 formation for me if we can ph at sweeper !
GGTTH

HibbyAndy
24-08-2015, 05:04 PM
So Rangers player of the year released and he is coming to us ? Cannae see it.

FranckSuzy
24-08-2015, 05:05 PM
David Farrell tweeted this, around 2 hours ago:

"Can't be often a player gets released and then moves up a League as will be the case with Darren McGregor" :confused: Unless he means in the 'class' leagues, of course :wink:

JimBHibees
24-08-2015, 05:06 PM
What is it.

We are in the same league.

jacomo
24-08-2015, 05:06 PM
If we do sign MacGregor wonder if we will play
3 5 2 with Boyle as one of the wing backs where he was very effective at the end of last season? Would possibly be the case dependant on Grays injury.

Yup, I also think DM can play wide right as well. Maybe not a right back but I'd be willing to try him there.

EDIT: I mean McGeoch btw, as it seems we are about to have 2 DMs in the squad.

bill the hibby
24-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Really hope this happens, can't see it to be honest but hopefully someone with solid info can give us a bit more insight in due course

Jonnyboy
24-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Every player in the team divides opinion!

Blaster
24-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Fraser Wright been released by St Johnstone too. Strange as he only signed a new contract 2 weeks ago

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 05:13 PM
We are in the same league.

I get that but Hearts weren't particularly happy when JK came to us and if they knew that was going to happen I don't think they would have agreed to cancel his contract.

Similarly if we had approached Rangers I'm sure they would have chased us.

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Really hope this happens, can't see it to be honest but hopefully someone with solid info can give us a bit more insight in due course

People have already said it is likely to happen in this thread.

Golden Bear
24-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Fraser Wright been released by St Johnstone too. Strange as he only signed a new contract 2 weeks ago

The Saintees would seem a more likely destination for D.Mc but let's wait & see.

SquashedFrogg
24-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Hanlon at LB??

Two birds one stone

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure Hanlon could easily slot into left back.

hibees 7062
24-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Just hours after being released by The Rangers, Fans News understands Darren McGregor has agreed personal terms with Hibernian . FB

Cabbage1875
24-08-2015, 05:22 PM
If you cannot see PH is a very intelligent and consistent footballer for this club then there is something far wrong. He was part of a defence that conceded the 3rd least goals in Scotland.

He was also excellent yesterday!

Question for you. Do you rate John Terry??
In the Championship. My opinion on Paul Hanlon has been formed over a number of years. He might have found his level actually!

Not sure what your point is re John Terry? Of course I rate him. A proper centre back.

Hamish
24-08-2015, 05:23 PM
The Saintees would seem a more likely destination for D.Mc but let's wait & see.

STV sports news for the North reporting DMcG is interesting St Johnstone.

3pm
24-08-2015, 05:24 PM
What are the peepul saying to it?!

Aldo
24-08-2015, 05:35 PM
In the Championship. My opinion on Paul Hanlon has been formed over a number of years. He might have found his level actually! Not sure what your point is re John Terry? Of course I rate him. A proper centre back. See

Franck Stanton
24-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Living in Dunbar I get the North STV news and just stated that McGregor is on St J's radar.

Jim44
24-08-2015, 05:40 PM
What are the peepul saying to it?!

They are quite complimentary for the most part and wish him well. Some say he is too slow and injury prone. I think they see him picking a club up quickly and one or to say they wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Hibs.

bill the hibby
24-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Would be likely st j's would be more attractive than us but would like to believe we could offer more wages with the money from SA's transfer...time will tell

StevieBoyKdy
24-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Worth a years contract, was one of there few half decent players from what I seen. Any news?

Ronniekirk
24-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Would be likely st j's would be more attractive than us but would like to believe we could offer more wages with the money from SA's transfer...time will tell

He is at an age when he would want to be playing first team football ,I can't see him dropping a league and wages to be defensive cover ,just because he supported Hibs .its not like he has made a fortune from the game . I would be more than happy if we signed him but don't think it's a given he has negotiated his release with the sole view of coming to us .

CB_NO3
24-08-2015, 06:31 PM
We spoke to Darren two weeks ago. No offer was made, just a chat. Darren does not have an agent at the moment. He has just had a baby so I am sure he will want to stay in Scotland.

mmmmhibby
24-08-2015, 06:32 PM
McGregor was at East Mains today...fellow hibby who was working down there spotted him.

erin go bragh
24-08-2015, 06:34 PM
People have already said it is likely to happen in this thread.

You heard anything scoops . Some folk think it's a done deal .

GGTTH

mmmmhibby
24-08-2015, 06:36 PM

GGTTH

Dunno about a done deal however he was down at East Mains earlier.

Hiber-nation
24-08-2015, 06:38 PM
We spoke to Darren two weeks ago. No offer was made, just a chat. Darren does not have an agent at the moment. He has just had a baby so I am sure he will want to stay in Scotland.

Cheers for that Bomber :wink:

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 06:43 PM

GGTTH

I was told last week we were interested from an excellent source.

I didn't think it was on the cards as I didn't see Rangers wanting to deal with Hibs after the Scott Allan saga.

Now that he's a free agent it becomes far more believable.

I did wonder when the news broke if the Cream Buns had maybe put a clause in the release that he couldn't sign for a club in the same division, then again they are that arrogant they probably don't care.

oneone73
24-08-2015, 06:44 PM

That's tapping up, isn't it? Good.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Why would they let him leave, if he's good?

erin go bragh
24-08-2015, 06:49 PM
I was told last week we were interested from an excellent source.

I didn't think it was on the cards as I didn't see Rangers wanting to deal with Hibs after the Scott Allan saga.

Now that he's a free agent it becomes far more believable.

I did wonder when the news broke if the Cream Buns had maybe put a clause in the release that he couldn't sign for a club in the same division, then again they are that arrogant they probably don't care.
Cheers . Would be a cracking signing .

GGTTH

Greencore
24-08-2015, 06:50 PM

Agreed

bill the hibby
24-08-2015, 06:54 PM

New managers tend to stick by players they have signed for the club, in this case warburtons first choices would be Kiernan and Wilson. Mcgregor obviously wouldn't have been happy sitting on the bench all season, only rangers and himself know the details of the mutual agreement though

KWJ
24-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Would've guessed he was about 24, thought he was quite a young guy at St. Mirren, clearly not as he's 30.

Still think he'd be a great signing, a huge improvement on Keith Watson as competition for RB and Centre half. Would also give us balance at CH as we currently have 2 lefties there.

Would instantly give us great depth in centre and right def with Forster there too.

Gmack7
24-08-2015, 07:16 PM
New managers tend to stick by players they have signed for the club, in this case warburtons first choices would be Kiernan and Wilson. Mcgregor obviously wouldn't have been happy sitting on the bench all season, only rangers and himself know the details of the mutual agreement though
Out of interest who are their back up CHs? ,if we sign DM we would have 4 and I've no idea who they have

monarch
24-08-2015, 07:18 PM

So we're about to sign another crock. When my wife was in that situation it took her about 6 weeks to resume normal duties.
:greengrin

GordonHFC
24-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Out of interest who are their back up CHs? ,if we sign DM we would have 4 and I've no idea who they have

Do they still have sallyplookyass?

yekimevol
24-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Provides cover at CB and RB; no brainier when you think that foster and gray have had issues recently.

liamh2202
24-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Provides cover at CB and RB; no brainier when you think that foster and gray have had issues recently.

Funny when I played along with him at cowdenbeath he played a lot of games at right back. More than capable out there

murray26
24-08-2015, 07:33 PM
I heard he signed today.. Hopefully true and announced soon..

bill the hibby
24-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Funny when I played along with him at cowdenbeath he played a lot of games at right back. More than capable out there

Funny you mention playing alongside him at cowden, my good pal Deano brett was telling me today that he made his first team debut alongside darren.

Colr
24-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Maybe they need his wage for someone else. They are skint afterall

Jim44
24-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Maybe they need his wage for someone else. They are skint afterall

Not according to Stubbs.:wink:

StevieC
24-08-2015, 07:56 PM
I am hearing he is about to sign for St Johnstone

bigwheel
24-08-2015, 07:57 PM

John Rankin, David Wotherspoon, Sean Welsh, Craig Brewster.....etc etc Clubs letting players go doesn't mean they aren't good..just not in the current managers first team plans....

bill the hibby
24-08-2015, 08:07 PM
I am hearing he is about to sign for St Johnstone

Hope not

IberianHibernian
24-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Why would they let him leave, if he's good?My first thought too . Want to get him off wage bill I suppose but if on that much money why would he want to leave ? Certainly can`t understand enthusiasm here about signing unless it`s just a short contract for injury cover .

B.H.F.C
24-08-2015, 08:17 PM
I thought he was only marginally better than the the other jokers Rangers had in defence last year. Purely because he had a bit commitment and would chuck himself in front of anything.

He'd probably be all right as a squad player but I don't think he's going to improve us.

KWJ
24-08-2015, 08:26 PM
I think it'd be extremely difficult for us to improve on our current 5 defenders especially as a perm signing.

MacGregor is streets ahead of Keith Watson and better than an unfit David Gray. Would be a great signing in my book, even more so considering the timing of having Gray and Forster out. Allows us to play 5-3-2 as well with him in a back 3 or right wing back.

Be well chuffed if we get him, and disappointed now if we don't.

stevie-bee
24-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Hope not

Was reading on the bbc website St Johnstone released a c/h today,

Andy74
24-08-2015, 08:46 PM

More inclined to believe that. I just doubt Rangers would let him walk away to sign for us. Particularly with recent events!

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 08:48 PM

Maybe he is going to Rangers.:greengrin:greengrin

bill the hibby
24-08-2015, 08:49 PM
@Kenny_Millar: @stushy93 Wouldn't surprise me at all if one player decides to play for their boyhood team this transfer window...Kenny Millar just tweeted me saying this, don't know if theres a lot we can take from that but wait and see I suppose

CB_NO3
24-08-2015, 08:49 PM
More inclined to believe that. I just doubt Rangers would let him walk away to sign for us. Particularly with recent events!
Rangers cant stop a released player from signing for anyone.

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Maybe he didnae tell Rangers he was signing for us. :greengrin

Anyhow Andy, I'm a fair man and I'll give you a wee wager if you want.

I say he will be a Hibs signing, you can take your pick of any club you wish.

1987green
24-08-2015, 09:06 PM
3 year deal signed

Brightside
24-08-2015, 09:12 PM
3 year deal signed

is he not 30? Why a 3 year deal?

Mr White
24-08-2015, 09:14 PM
is he not 30? Why a 3 year deal?

We wanted 4 he wanted 2 so we settled on 3 :greengrin

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 09:14 PM
3 year deal signed

It won't be a three year deal IMO.

1987green
24-08-2015, 09:20 PM
sorry typo 2 year
t

SteveHFC
24-08-2015, 09:21 PM
It won't be a three year deal IMO.

Any idea when he'll be announced?

scoopyboy
24-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Any idea when he'll be announced?

Can't see it being tonight. :greengrin

Before Stranraer game I would hope and expect.

SteveHFC
24-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Can't see it being tonight. :greengrin

Before Stranraer game I would hope and expect.

Still time :hyper

Mikey09
24-08-2015, 09:31 PM

One of the best posts I've read on here in a long time... :top marks

Golden Bear
24-08-2015, 09:45 PM
"Darren Mcgregor to Hibs. Imagine denying us of their player of the year and then taking ours"

Just been sent this post on Twitter from one of the more sensible rangers fans.

IberianHibernian
24-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Interesting that Rangers let him go a full week before window closes ( not sure if they could have waited till say October to release him but wouldn`t he have had to wait till next window to sign for a new club ? ) . There were a few threads here in summer about importance of getting signings in early etc but in the end all clubs rely on buying and selling right up to the bell so a week is a long time .

SMAXXA
24-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Heard he was away meeting hibs tonight and is desperate to sign. Should be announced tomorrow.

GreenCastle
24-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Heard he was away meeting hibs tonight and is desperate to sign. Should be announced tomorrow.

This is the kind of player I want :agree:

Think he will bring much needed experience and competition.

Now just a left sided defender / winger and fit striker!

greenginger
24-08-2015, 10:34 PM

That's probably why he was not released until today.

Would have made Warbo look pretty stupid to have released him last week in time for him to turn up and knock in a late equaliser in yesterday's game.

hibees 7062
24-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Inside The SPFL (http://www.hibs.net/AgentScotland?p=s)
@AgentScotland (http://www.hibs.net/AgentScotland?p=s)

Interestingly from the few Prem clubs that would likely want Darren McGregor, it'd be the Ch'ship club that could offer him the best deal

Nutmegged
25-08-2015, 01:20 AM
Inside The SPFL (http://www.hibs.net/AgentScotland?p=s)
@AgentScotland (http://www.hibs.net/AgentScotland?p=s)

Interestingly from the few Prem clubs that would likely want Darren McGregor, it'd be the Ch'ship club that could offer him the best deal

Usually accurate with their info, I'd be inclined to believe him/her.

Squealing pig
25-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Signing him is a must

rcarter1
25-08-2015, 05:33 AM
This is the kind of player I want :agree:

Think he will bring much needed experience and competition.

Now just a left sided defender / winger and fit striker!

With the obvious caveat that the player has to be decent quality, I totally agree. Teams over perform when their individuals are committed to the club.

Andy74
25-08-2015, 08:01 AM

No. But they didn't have to release him.

Andy74
25-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Maybe he didnae tell Rangers he was signing for us. :greengrin

Anyhow Andy, I'm a fair man and I'll give you a wee wager if you want.

I say he will be a Hibs signing, you can take your pick of any club you wish.

I believe you, just very odd Rangers would let him walk to come straight here.

hibs0666
25-08-2015, 08:07 AM

It reduces the wage bill in order to allow the loaf to bring someone else in.

JimBHibees
25-08-2015, 08:07 AM
No. But they didn't have to release him.

Maybe taking the practical decision of releasing him allowing themselves to bring another in. The timing after Sundays game is probably significant.

JimBHibees
25-08-2015, 08:08 AM

It is unusual however he probably doesnt fancy him and every chance McGregor was probably on a decent wage.

seanshow
25-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Forth1 now reporting Hibs interest in DM on their news update.

AlbertK86
25-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Would definitley give us good options at centre half when you throw Forster into the mix. 3 centre halfs would be a shout with Hanlon more of a sweeper..

This for me

I was Paul's biggest critic for long enough as he got bullied off the ball to easily

However when he was deployed as the sweeper behind Fontaine and Forster / Watson last season I thought this suited him perfectly. As underscore says he can read the game very well and I thought we looked really secure in that format

Him behind two ball winning CHs in games we will be under a lot of pressure IE Sevco and maybe the likes of Falkirk and Saints away would give Oxley and Gray and Stevenson more protection

scoopyboy
25-08-2015, 08:16 AM

I think it's their sheer arrogance Andy, either that or they were blind to the fact that we would sign him.

AlbertK86
25-08-2015, 08:19 AM
I think it's their sheer arrogance Andy, either that or they were blind to the fact that we would sign him.

Scoops I'll plump for the arrogance option ..... Unlike them to be honest 😂😂😉😉 !!!!

Iain G
25-08-2015, 08:37 AM
This for me

I was Paul's biggest critic for long enough as he got bullied off the ball to easily

However when he was deployed as the sweeper behind Fontaine and Forster / Watson last season I thought this suited him perfectly. As underscore says he can read the game very well and I thought we looked really secure in that format

Him behind two ball winning CHs in games we will be under a lot of pressure IE Sevco and maybe the likes of Falkirk and Saints away would give Oxley and Gray and Stevenson more protection

Was impressed he held his own against that big lump Sevconian have up front and eased him off the ball a few times on Sunday :agree:

lyonhibs
25-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Seemingly also having a look at Theo Robinson, a striker, according to the Daily Record at least. Which probably means he's nowhere near EM of course, but there we go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Robinson

Keith_M
25-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Scotsman article today, Hibs Want Darren McGregor (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/hibs-want-darren-mcgregor-after-rangers-release-1-3867839), reads like it's been lifted straight from this thread.

Iain G
25-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Scotsman article today, Hibs Want Darren McGregor (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/hibs-want-darren-mcgregor-after-rangers-release-1-3867839), reads like it's been lifted straight from this thread.

Funny isn't it, rumours get mentioned on here and we look to the traditional press for confirmation that there is some truth in the stories to confirm what has been posted on here.

In reality the press probably pick up these stories from the original rumours posted on here and recycle them, we latch onto these "proper stories" as confirmation of the rumours and it becomes a self perpetuating story that supports the original rumour by the further recyling of the original rumour...my brain hurts now!

alan1875
25-08-2015, 09:07 AM
I know he obviously hasn't signed yet but who was the last Scottish centre half we brought in, who was also an established/experienced pro?

Seems to have been a while...?

Fergos
25-08-2015, 09:09 AM
I know he obviously hasn't signed yet but who was the last Scottish centre half we brought in, who was also an established/experienced pro?

Seems to have been a while...?

James McPake?

GGTTH

alan1875
25-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Indeed, forgot about him.

Bill Milne
25-08-2015, 09:18 AM
In reality the press probably pick up these stories from the original rumours posted on here and recycle them, we latch onto these "proper stories" as confirmation of the rumours and it becomes a self perpetuating story that supports the original rumour by the further recyling of the original rumour...my brain hurts now![/QUOTE]

Good definition of Catch 22. :thumbsup:

Gettin' Auld
25-08-2015, 09:22 AM
He's what we need right now, I'd be happier enough with that signing.

The Harp Awakes
25-08-2015, 09:47 AM

It's a dream come true for the lad. When he left St Mirren, he had the option of 2 clubs to sign for; Rangers or Hearts. He was hoping Hibs would come in for him then but it didn't happen and he went to Rangers. Bought a house in Edinburgh towards the end of last season and has a new born bairn. The move to Hibs ticks all the boxes.

Nutmegged
25-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Whens the last time we managed to sign the reigning Rangers Player of the Year? Regardless of how crap they appeared that was voted on by their fans, that has to be a coup

bill the hibby
25-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Be more than happy with this signing

J-C
25-08-2015, 09:57 AM
McGregor would be a good signing, Forster has bags of potential but seems to have injury problem ( not like Hibs players eh ), my worry is Stubbs will revert back to three at the back, a system which is unnecessary against lesser teams.

Springbank
25-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Whens the last time we managed to sign the reigning Rangers Player of the Year? Regardless of how crap they appeared that was voted on by their fans, that has to be a coup

This summer we've signed hearts top scorer and gers poty.
Both have annoyed the fans of gers/hearts
Good business

.Louise.
25-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Official now.

hibee92
25-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Signed! Great signing well done Hibs

Mathias Jack
25-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Official now.

Signed! Great signing well done Hibs

Welcome Darren!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5654

Onceinawhile
25-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Confirmed.happy days

Steve20
25-08-2015, 10:07 AM
That's the type of signing we should be making. Delighted we've signed him. :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
25-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Welcome Darren - another progressive step up the career ladder for you.

:aok:

Hannah_hfc
25-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Confirmed! Excellent signing

Welcome to the Hibees!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

GreenArmyyy!
25-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Well done Hibs! Great swift movement considering his contract only ended yesterday! Tremendous!

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Its always nice to see a guy finally get the chance to play for the club he supports. If you read Allan Stubbs book you can see what it meant to him when he signed for Everton. I cant honesty say I have seen him ( McGregor ) stand out in a game ..... but I doubt commitment to the cause will be an issue.

Welcome home Darren http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Hibee87
25-08-2015, 10:45 AM
I believe he was out for a long time and done the opposite knee almost as soon as he came back. Hibs were interested in him around this time.

Im also led to believe he HAS signed for us, and fully expect it to be announced imminently. As he did not feature in squad for rangers last LC game I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a starting on wed if Gray is injured

Do i get an assist for this one? :)

GreenOnions
25-08-2015, 10:55 AM
McGregor would be a good signing, Forster has bags of potential but seems to have injury problem ( not like Hibs players eh ), my worry is Stubbs will revert back to three at the back, a system which is unnecessary against lesser teams.

I know what you're saying there as it often implies five defenders on the pitch instead of four. I think we now have the players who could allow us to have just the three outright defenders in the 11.

As long as you have a back three that are mobile then I'd like to see at least one of the wing-back positions occupied not by full-backs but by the likes of Boyle, Carmichael or Henderson. So you could have something along the lines of:

............................Oxley

...........McGregor/Gray..Hanlon..Fontaine

Boyle.................McGeouch.................Hen derson
..............Fyvie...................McGinn

...............Cummings......Malonga

Brightside
25-08-2015, 11:01 AM
I know what you're saying there as it often implies five defenders on the pitch instead of four. I think we now have the players who could allow us to have just the three outright defenders in the 11.

As long as you have a back three that are mobile then I'd like to see at least one of the wing-back positions occupied not by full-backs but by the likes of Boyle, Carmichael or Henderson. So you could have something along the lines of:

This 100%. A 352 is a great attacking system and would batter most teams in the league. Hanlon holds the middle and McGregor and Fontaine split wide to stretch the pressing attackers. We then have huge options in the middle of the park and out wide in midfield.

AlbertK86
25-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I know what you're saying there as it often implies five defenders on the pitch instead of four. I think we now have the players who could allow us to have just the three outright defenders in the 11. As long as you have a back three that are mobile then I'd like to see at least one of the wing-back positions occupied not by full-backs but by the likes of Boyle, Carmichael or Henderson. So you could have something along the lines of: ............................Oxley ...........McGregor/Gray..Hanlon..Fontaine Boyle.................McGeouch.................Hen derson ..............Fyvie...................McGinn ...............Cummings......Malonga

Agree

Maybe swap fyvie and mcgeogh around

GreenOnions
25-08-2015, 11:19 AM
This 100%. A 352 is a great attacking system and would batter most teams in the league. Hanlon holds the middle and McGregor and Fontaine split wide to stretch the pressing attackers. We then have huge options in the middle of the park and out wide in midfield.

I am wondering whether Alan Stubbs is actually planning for something like this. He hasn't seemed particularly bothered (so far) about signing out-and-out full-backs.

A problem last season when we played 3-5-2 was that we didn't really have enough cover if one of our more central defenders was unavailable. Now I feel we have Forster, McGregor, Gray, Hanlon and Fontaine - all of whom are quite mobile and could play in a three.

If we wanted to tighten things up a bit we could use either Gray in the right wing-back position or Stevenson on the left. However, against most teams in this division I don't think we'd need that and reckon we should be trying to get as many forward-thinking and pacey of our players on the pitch as possible. I'm not convinced that our use of the ball from wide areas has been as good as it could be from Gray and Stevenson so using naturally more attacking players there should help

B.H.F.C
25-08-2015, 11:24 AM
I don't think he will be looking at a 352 as a long term formation. I don't think you need to play with 3 centre halves in this league. More likely to see something along the lines of the last two games imo.

Unseen work
25-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I can see us going for a team like

...........................Oxley.........
.......Mcgregor....hanlon. ..Fontaine
Boyle...mcgeouch...Fyvie....Henderson...Mcginn
...............Cummings......keatings/malonga/farid

PatHead
25-08-2015, 11:36 AM

Amazing how much things have changed since we got relegated. The team that day was :-

Williams,
Maybury, Nelson McGivern Stevenson,
Craig Robertson Stanton
Heffernan (Tudur Jones - 83' )
Haynes (Harris - 8' ) Cummings

Substitutes

Harris (Thomson - 68' ) Cairney, Collins, Tudur Jones, Murdoch, Forster, Thomson

Definitely Stubbs team now

Franck Stanton
25-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I can see us going for a team like

...........................Oxley.........
.......Mcgregor....hanlon. ..Fontaine
Boyle...mcgeouch...Fyvie....Henderson...Mcginn
...............Cummings......keatings/malonga/farid

Agree 100% - and we would batter most, if not all teams in this division with that team. Happy days have just arrived folks, happy days.

Brightside
25-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Amazing how much things have changed since we got relegated. The team that day was :-

Williams,
Craig Robertson Stanton

Substitutes

Harris (Thomson - 68' ) Cairney, Collins, Tudur Jones, Murdoch, Forster, Thomson

That really is an awful list.

ShadesLongThrow
25-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Is McGregor cup tied or will we see him tomorrow night?

wills
25-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Good signing, delighted for the lad. On a side issue Hanlon did start as a midfielder, and not a bad one from what I'm told.

wills
25-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Williams,
Craig Robertson Stanton

Substitutes

Thats scary, I'll have nightmares now cheers

Brightside
25-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Good signing, delighted for the lad. On a side issue Hanlon did start as a midfielder, and not a bad one from what I'm told.

as a kid yes. he wont become a midfielder again just coz this lad has signed.

erin go bragh
25-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Is McGregor cup tied or will we see him tomorrow night?

Not cup tied . Good chance we will see him Wed night .

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
25-08-2015, 01:31 PM
That was bloody quick! Nice one.

GreenOnions
25-08-2015, 02:33 PM

Williams,
Craig Robertson Stanton

Substitutes

It was lucky for us that day we were able to bring on Tudur-Jones to shut up shop :-/

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2015, 05:50 PM

Williams,
Craig Robertson Stanton

Substitutes

Jesus, Maybury, Nelson, McGivern, Haynes......What a horrific team going into that massive game.....