PDA

View Full Version : Set Plays

Billy Whizz
23-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Am I right in thinking that all the goals we've lost so far in the league this season, have come from set plays from the opposition?

Andy74
23-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I think so. Whilst ours generally drift away.

Smartie
23-08-2015, 10:24 PM
It has to be said that ours are utter garbage and have been for a while.

We had one decent one when McGinn took a decent free-kick to Fontaine today but that was it.

Given how much we have the ball in the final third we really need to improve this side of our play.

For me, AGAIN, it is a movement issue. You see the odd half-decent ball getting played in that no-one has the pace, anticipation or enthusiasm to get anywhere near.

Let's not even get started on throw-ins.

high bee
23-08-2015, 10:33 PM
We should reintroduce that corner routine when all the players group together then bomb burst just before the corner is taken.

Throw ins are bizarre, we seem to find a marker rather than be found by a marker.

The sooner we accept that JC can't score free kicks the better. Surely there must be someone in the first team who can strike a decent free kick. McGinn perhaps?

PatHead
23-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Said for a while that we do not score enough goals from corners.

When you consider the amount of corners we get we have a very poor conversion rate.

GreenArmy1875
24-08-2015, 07:03 AM
It frustrates me the lack of imagination at Hibs for years with set pieces. Do something different every so often. It confuses the opposition if nothing else. I try to teach my Under 17s set pieces and doing something clever, they are just picking it up now and using them and it's crazy how easy they are and how effective they can be.

CL0762
24-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Am I right in thinking that all the goals we've lost so far in the league this season, have come from set plays from the opposition?

Yes and ours are absolutely hopeless and have been for a very long time.

The amount of set pieces we waste is incredible.

JimBHibees
24-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Said for a while that we do not score enough goals from corners.

When you consider the amount of corners we get we have a very poor conversion rate.

Have we Farid aside really got any powerful headers of the ball. Both current centre halfs arent IMO hugely dominate in the air hence causing some of our defensive fragility.

Hibee_Craig7062
24-08-2015, 08:12 AM
It has to be said that ours are utter garbage and have been for a while.

We had one decent one when McGinn took a decent free-kick to Fontaine today but that was it.

Given how much we have the ball in the final third we really need to improve this side of our play.

For me, AGAIN, it is a movement issue. You see the odd half-decent ball getting played in that no-one has the pace, anticipation or enthusiasm to get anywhere near.

Let's not even get started on throw-ins.

My main bug bear in 25 years of watching hibs....throw ins!!

PeterboroHibee
24-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Have we Farid aside really got any powerful headers of the ball. Both current centre halfs arent IMO hugely dominate in the air hence causing some of our defensive fragility.

Forster is really good on set pieces, but thats about it.

If we dont have anyone who is particularly powerful in the air though, thats even more reason to be creative. Yesterday most of our free kicks were either just floated in (which must be so easy to defend against), or over hit. Its definitely another thing we need to improve on!

SlickShoes
24-08-2015, 08:28 AM
We may as well shoot from every free kick and corner because they almost always come to nothing, we pose no threat lifting these balls in to the box.

Also yes, all of our goals conceded in the league are from free kicks directly in to the net.

Meanwhile we would have won every game we have played at a canter if we could put away our chances.

JimBHibees
24-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Forster is really good on set pieces, but thats about it.

If we dont have anyone who is particularly powerful in the air though, thats even more reason to be creative. Yesterday most of our free kicks were either just floated in (which must be so easy to defend against), or over hit. Its definitely another thing we need to improve on!

Jordan is good at attacking free kicks in an attacking sense however an area he needs to work on IMO is defending as he does get caught out at times. Can remember Paterson scoring two in a derby not so long ago.

hhibs
24-08-2015, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Hibee_Craig7062;4449723]My main bug bear in 25 years of watching hibs....throw ins!![/QUOTe

Beggars belief,basic football fundamentals,but why?

Lago
24-08-2015, 12:53 PM
The 1 corner and virtually every free kick we had were over hit, to see the ball going for a opposition goal kick or to their keeper does my nut. Throw in why does it take sooooo long to take a throw in, no wonder our players are all covered.

MrRobot
24-08-2015, 02:38 PM
We do have a solution to this - sign Riordan for FK's and corners:cb:greengrin

GreenCastle
24-08-2015, 02:41 PM
I actually think Fontaine and Hanlon should be scoring more from attacking set plays - what often happens is they jump too early and head it over.

Watch the next time Hibs get an attacking corner - also look at the lack of people starting deep and attacking the back post.

Our corners to goal stats are horrendous - we do seem to get above average amount of corners and I can't even remember the last goal we scored from one.

Smartie
24-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Occasionally we do play balls in that on the face of it look like they're too deep.

But none of them look impossible to get onto if a player has made the right run.

It's the way the players that the ball is being delivered to move that is most often the problem.

Have a look and see if Scott Allan sets up a few goals from corners and free-kicks this season, and it's not because his delivery just got better by going to Parkhead.

ancient hibee
24-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Fontaine and Hanlon continually get their heads to corners and just as often the opposing goalie then takes a bye kick.Against Morton Fontaine lunged at one corner or free kick and took it right off Malonga's head.

emerald green
24-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Surely Hibs must practice attacking set plays at training? Even if they do, the squad does seem to lack a serious arial threat.

Billy Whizz
24-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Surely Hibs must practice attacking set plays at training? Even if they do, the squad does seem to lack a serious arial threat.

Surely they don't honestly practice direct free kicks

HappyAsHellas
24-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Seem to remember Stanton taking a corner when SA was injured and Fontaine scored from it last season. SA came back and never hit a decent corner yet. Throw ins are a joke - the last person who could use them to our advantage was, I believe, Darren Jackson. Nope, can't think of anyone since then.