PDA

View Full Version : Question We NEED a finisher !

Scottie
23-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Arguably 3 or 4 sitters missed today at important times of the game.
You can't expect to leave Glasgow with anything if you don't take any of them.

Sooooo

So who should Stubbs and the club be targeting before the end of the transfer window that's in our price range as we need a goal getting forward who can get us goals and also hold the play up for us when needed like games like today.

Mr White
23-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Stevie may on loan would be good. Unlikely though I admit.

Gmack7
23-08-2015, 07:18 PM
What's Billy McKay doing,he would fit the bill

Badge
23-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Zeefluk

yekimevol
23-08-2015, 07:35 PM
I want a targetman, think JC and farid can get the goals. I would take Jon Daly as he is a free agent these days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33984746

The_Exile
23-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Said before the season started we should've gone for John Sutton, still stand by that, we need someone of that mould up front IMO, although think the goals will come eventually, just a slow start....again!

Squealing pig
23-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Insall

lord bunberry
23-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Cummings will score plenty, but we need someone else to share the burden.

emerald green
23-08-2015, 07:42 PM
What Hibs, or any successful team, need is players all over the park chipping in with goals - forwards, midfield, and defenders. Lack of composure / ruthlessness in front of goal is why Hibs lost today.

Top class strikers are unlikely to want to play in the Scottish Championship. These guys are worth their weight in gold, and can command wages far higher than Hibs can pay unfortunately. Therefore, the players Hibs do have need to step up and start putting more of their chances in the back of the net.

If they can't do that, Hibs won't win enough matches to win this league.

Bishop Hibee
23-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Maybe Keatings or Farid? Cummings will score 20 plus again if played regularly.

thebakerboy
23-08-2015, 07:47 PM
We have enough strikers and the goals will come , it is defenders we are very very short of and hope this will be sorted this week otherwise with Foster and Gray injury prone , if anything happens to the other three we are up the creek without a doubt.

rcarter1
23-08-2015, 07:50 PM
I think a focus on finishing in training would be a good start. Its all about confidence and composure though. Its far too early to throw in the towel, and even if we go up via playoffs then its job done. A bit more emphasis on getting people into scoring positions when attacking (and then having the fitness to get back) could make all the difference. We have the ingredients of an SPL team, we just need to believe that, and make it so!! :flag:

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I thought we were not too bad today and it was only poor finishing that cost us the game. We have to be more clinical in front of goal. Too much is expected from Cummings and he desperately needs a strong frontman to help him. Farid might be the man but he is no use sitting in the stand and Molonga is just not good enough.

Purple & Green
23-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Yep, this. The defence and midfield don't contribute enough goals. I'm sure they could with a tweak of tactics.

B.H.F.C
23-08-2015, 07:58 PM
We need our whole team to start chipping in with goals instead of just relying on the likes of Cummings. Or any one player for that matter.

Steve20
23-08-2015, 08:15 PM
If Cummings is our best striker then that shows we have a problem. He's alright, but should really be no more than a backup striker. Misses a ridiculous amount of easy chances.

We need promoted this season.

Forza Fred
23-08-2015, 08:17 PM
What Hibs, or any successful team, need is players all over the park chipping in with goals - forwards, midfield, and defenders. Lack of composure / ruthlessness in front of goal is why Hibs lost today.

Top class strikers are unlikely to want to play in the Scottish Championship. These guys are worth their weight in gold, and can command wages far higher than Hibs can pay unfortunately. Therefore, the players Hibs do have need to step up and start putting more of their chances in the back of the net.

Too much sense talked here:wink:

emerald green
23-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Too much sense talked here:wink:

Cheers FF. :aok:

B.H.F.C
23-08-2015, 08:24 PM
If Cummings is our best striker then that shows we have a problem. He's alright, but should really be no more than a backup striker. Misses a ridiculous amount of easy chances.

Who are we going to get in the championship that will score more than him?

Not getting enough goals throughout the team is more of an issue than Cummings.

He's far from perfect, and should have scored today. But he got 21 last year. No Hearts striker even got close to that but their mates all helped out by chipping in from midfield. Even defenders got a decent number.

erin go bragh
23-08-2015, 08:59 PM

Well 21 goals last season ( his first full team season ) would say he is .
GGTTH

frazeHFC
24-08-2015, 08:07 AM
I think we have a decent amount of goal scorers up front in the squad, we are just unlucky that 2 are out injured (Keatings and El Alagui). Boyle back will help and hopefully Insall can step up at this level.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2015, 09:22 AM

He's not the problem really. As the leagues top scorer last season he could easily say I've done my job, what about everyone else - especially the midfield.

Mikey09
24-08-2015, 09:57 AM
When Keatings and Farid are fit we will be much stronger up front. Can't believe some of the stick JC gets from some though.... Do some people wait for certain players to make mistakes and then come on here and question there ability, desire, fitness, attitude?! Did I miss anything? :rolleyes:

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2015, 10:00 AM
We need something. In the first three games alone we must have wasted a dozen clear chances.

Thecat23
24-08-2015, 10:01 AM
We need a Mixu type player to bully defenders. If not another small striker will just be a waste of money.

rodhibs55
24-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Cummings got 21 last season, Malonga got, I think it was 18 (and he was missing for six weeks due to African nations so potentially another couple) This being the case, two 20 goal a season strikers. Add Farid and Keatings into the mix who are both capable of double figures would suggest that strikers are not our issue, it is other areas of the park that need to contribute more.

In my opinion, what we need is a Pat McGinley type who hits double figures from midfield.

Smartie
24-08-2015, 10:47 AM
We need a Mixu type player to bully defenders. If not another small striker will just be a waste of money.

Mixu transformed us the first time he signed.

At the time I was disgusted that we'd gone for him. I had mates who supported Aberdeen who slaughtered him for being too slow and just crap.

I think he's the most important signing we've ever made, more important than Latapy or Sauzee to that team. Our results changed as soon as he arrived.

He scored goals and held the ball up brilliantly for the midfield to get up and support. You could knock it into him short or long and he'd do his stuff. Magnificent player.

Cummings would benefit massively from having a Mixu/ Brewster type up there with him. As it is, I think he's improving all the time and doing well for us but I just think there's something about our play that is lacking.

I was watching the goals on Sportscene last night and was interested to see Aberdeen's second goal. Hayes got to the bye-line, floated a great ball over and Rooney beat all the defenders to a header. It's a goal you would never see Hibs score in month of Sundays. We don't have the wide players to beat a man (then get a decent delivery in) or the striker with the size, strength or desire to get on the end of it. It's unbelievable the decent positions we get into but don't have a clue what to do.

I don't know what the answer is.

WeeRussell
24-08-2015, 11:07 AM
I thought we were not too bad today and it was only poor finishing that cost us the game. We have to be more clinical in front of goal. Too much is expected from Cummings and he desperately needs a strong frontman to help him. Farid might be the man but he is no use sitting in the stand and Molonga is just not good enough.

Yes he is. His application and attitude may be up for debate. His ability most certainly shouldn't be.

Turkish Green
24-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Cummings will score plenty given the right conditions and the right partner.

We do not have the right player for Jason to play off of. Malonga is not a target man. We need someone who is strong on the ball whom Cummings and Malonga can play off. Against the lower teams in the league we will need to prize open a 10 man defence. As last season went I do not see this being Cummings, Malonga Boyle or El Alagui. We need someone that we can target with a long high pass who can hold the ball up and bring Cunnings into play.

Maybe Stubbs can ask Harry nPotter if he knows anyone that would fit the profile.

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I think we have enough strikers to be going on with ... short of getting the likes of Stevie May on loan its unlikely we can improve on what we have.

Our big problem is composure and basic technique.

The more I see Cummings chance that the keeper saved yesterday the weaker ( technique ) and more badly placed ( composure ) his shot looks. He has a good habit of cutting in from the right and getting a shot off .... 1 out of 3 or 4 works the keeper, the rest invariably go over the bar.... Heid ower the ba son !

Against Morton Malonga shanked a great chance 6 yards out he should have scored with .... how often does he get free but finish with a weak / tame effort.

With Liam Henderson yesterday it has all about composure ( I concede he may have been tired ) but both times he rushed his effort ... especially the first one. I agree the midfield goals return is dreadful .... thankfully McGinn looks like a player who doesn't need much encouragement to shoot.

Finally, something I bang on about all the time which happened countless times against Morton and again yesterday. Why oh why when we have a player on the ball at the edge of the box out wide does nobody make for the near post? .......... The opposition have their job made so much easier not having to cover a near post run ..... If I had films of Hibs last 10 games I bet I could show the coaching staff a score of times where the other sides defenders cleared the ball from the middle of the 6 yard box because none of them had to pick up a Hibs forward going for the near post.

lord bunberry
24-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Cummings will score plenty given the right conditions and the right partner.

We do not have the right player for Jason to play off of. Malonga is not a target man. We need someone who is strong on the ball whom Cummings and Malonga can play off. Against the lower teams in the league we will need to prize open a 10 man defence. As last season went I do not see this being Cummings, Malonga Boyle or El Alagui. We need someone that we can target with a long high pass who can hold the ball up and bring Cunnings into play.

Maybe Stubbs can ask Harry nPotter if he knows anyone that would fit the profile.
I agree with and I think El Alagui is the perfect partner for Cummings. It's whether we can get him fit and playing for the whole season that worries me. I know nothing about Keatings so I can't comment on him.

Northern Hibby
24-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Insall

Really looking forward to this lad joining, I think it's the unknown quantity thing, well that and him scoring the goals he has at the level he is and coming through unscathed, the defenders at that level love a tackle so he should, theoretically, be able to handle the physical side.

lord bunberry
24-08-2015, 12:21 PM
I think we have enough strikers to be going on with ... short of getting the likes of Stevie May on loan its unlikely we can improve on what we have.

Our big problem is composure and basic technique.

The more I see Cummings chance that the keeper saved yesterday the weaker ( technique ) and more badly placed ( composure ) his shot looks. He has a good habit of cutting in from the right and getting a shot off .... 1 out of 3 or 4 works the keeper, the rest invariably go over the bar.... Heid ower the ba son !

Against Morton Malonga shanked a great chance 6 yards out he should have scored with .... how often does he get free but finish with a weak / tame effort.

With Liam Henderson yesterday it has all about composure ( I concede he may have been tired ) but both times he rushed his effort ... especially the first one. I agree the midfield goals return is dreadful .... thankfully McGinn looks like a player who doesn't need much encouragement to shoot.

Finally, something I bang on about all the time which happened countless times against Morton and again yesterday. Why oh why when we have a player on the ball at the edge of the box out wide does nobody make for the near post? .......... The opposition have their job made so much easier not having to cover a near post run ..... If I had films of Hibs last 10 games I bet I could show the coaching staff a score of times where the other sides defenders cleared the ball from the middle of the 6 yard box because none of them had to pick up a Hibs forward going for the near post.
The thing with Cummings is that he's getting better every time I see him. Apart from his miss yesterday I thought he was a constant threat, but he didn't have enough support.

Jack
24-08-2015, 12:22 PM
We need 100 goals this season.

I don't care who scores them.

Smartie
24-08-2015, 12:38 PM
The thing with Cummings is that he's getting better every time I see him. Apart from his miss yesterday I thought he was a constant threat, but he didn't have enough support.

I agree entirely.

It bugs me - I see him improving as a player all the time, he doesn't deserve any stick. Yet we still don't quite do enough in the final third.

I thought he was really unlucky with his chances. I can't believe that he's getting any stick for the second one - on his weaker side, running onto it yet he brought a decent save from the keeper. The block from the "scissors kick" type chance was just brilliant defending.

Maybe Farid is the man to play with him?

lord bunberry
24-08-2015, 01:22 PM
I agree entirely.

It bugs me - I see him improving as a player all the time, he doesn't deserve any stick. Yet we still don't quite do enough in the final third.

I thought he was really unlucky with his chances. I can't believe that he's getting any stick for the second one - on his weaker side, running onto it yet he brought a decent save from the keeper. The block from the "scissors kick" type chance was just brilliant defending.

Maybe Farid is the man to play with him?
I really hope Farid comes back and they both score a barrow load.

stokesmessiah
24-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Any ideas how long before we see Farid back up and running?

Franck Stanton
24-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Yes he is. His application and attitude may be up for debate. His ability most certainly shouldn't be.

I think Malonga has a lot of ability, skill, and even commitment [will surprise a few on here anyone claiming that], however.........for all the attributes he has, they are just not the ones we as a team require at this moment in time. We are crying out for a "Target " man, a big strong old fashioned centre forward, yes in the Mixu type mould, perhaps we already have one in Farid, however we need him now and fit enough to stay in the team for the vast majority of the seasons games. Daly has been mentioned, I would gladly take the Dundee Unt version of Daly but not the servco one. We have strikers who would compliment a target man - Cummings and Keatings, even Carmichael on occassion.
In short , Malonga is a good player but just not any use to us in the system we adopt.

Hibiza
24-08-2015, 02:13 PM
replace the full strikers we have totally inept.

HappyAsHellas
24-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Malonga and Cummings scored nearly 40 between them last season, and the majority in games with ten opponents behind the ball and therefore space at a premium. Inept, it most certainly is not. In the final play off game Farid caused havoc with his aerial strength, and if he gets fit and plays regularly, then the other strikers will have more to feed off. Midfield have to chip in with more but I think we will score more than last season. Sadly we have to be patient for another couple of weeks till everyone gels or is fit. Still think we'll do it this season though. GGTTH

BH Hibs
24-08-2015, 05:33 PM
replace the full strikers we have totally inept.

Que?

Alfred E Newman
24-08-2015, 08:52 PM

It's no use having ability if your attitude and application are no good. He is a luxury we can't afford.

KWJ
24-08-2015, 09:00 PM

What this man said.