PDA

View Full Version : The new Libertines album

Northernhibee
22-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Terrible. Don't hold out hope for it I'm afraid to say.

Mr White
22-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Haven't been holding out a lot of hope for it tbh. Gunga din has flashes of their heyday but as sickboy would say deep down you know it's just ***** . 12 years of heavy drug abuse doesn't often improve artistic output really though I suppose.

Tyler Durden
23-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Terrible. Don't hold out hope for it I'm afraid to say.

Based on what exactly?

Northernhibee
23-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Based on what exactly?

I used to write for a few music websites and magazines, I still have some contacts and from the bits I've heard and the other bits they've heard we've all said the same thing - badly under-written and over-polished.

Tyler Durden
20-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Looks like your fears were unfounded here as the album is terrific IMO.

Certainly not over produced and overall sits comfortably with the first 2 albums. I think Anthem for Doomed Youth and this iteration of You're My Waterloo are as good as anything they've ever done. Pete has never sounded better. Few weak tracks but not many albums don't have. Great to hear the old Legs 11 tracks on the bonus disc too.

Much better than we could've reasonably hoped for IMO and the near universal positive reviews seem to agree

Northernhibee
20-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Looks like your fears were unfounded here as the album is terrific IMO.

Certainly not over produced and overall sits comfortably with the first 2 albums. I think Anthem for Doomed Youth and this iteration of You're My Waterloo are as good as anything they've ever done. Pete has never sounded better. Few weak tracks but not many albums don't have. Great to hear the old Legs 11 tracks on the bonus disc too.

Much better than we could've reasonably hoped for IMO and the near universal positive reviews seem to agree

Have to disagree on this one, thought it was the moment where the Libs become 'just another band'.

adhibs
20-09-2015, 07:07 PM
would say its a steady 6-7/10. far from excellent but definately not terrible. have listened a couple times and will probably have it on another couple before im bored of it.

Mr White
20-09-2015, 07:16 PM
would say its a steady 6-7/10. far from excellent but definately not terrible. have listened a couple times and will probably have it on another couple before im bored of it.

Really? 4 times before you're bored but it gets 7/10? Wow.
Don't think I'd give an album that high a rating if I thought I'd be bored of it 2 listens later.

adhibs
20-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Really? 4 times before you're bored but it gets 7/10? Wow.
Don't think I'd give an album that high a rating if I thought I'd be bored of it 2 listens later.

If i was buying physical copies and had a limited choice It'd get more listens. At a tenner a month to spotify with constant new releases, old stuff that's passed me by and artists to discover that are thrown up through the discovery feature, things are that easy accesible they have to be better than this libertines album to make me return to them months/years after their release.

Mr White
20-09-2015, 08:40 PM
If i was buying physical copies and had a limited choice It'd get more listens. At a tenner a month to spotify with constant new releases, old stuff that's passed me by and artists to discover that are thrown up through the discovery feature, things are that easy accesible they have to be better than this libertines album to make me return to them months/years after their release.
Yeah I subscribe to spotify too. I usually listen to music for about 6 hours a day so if an album bores me after 4 listens that means I think it's *****.

Each to their own likes, i've not listened to this one yet :greengrin

Tyler Durden
20-09-2015, 09:44 PM

I'm sure your approach is pretty common these days but I don't think I'd ever get into any band if I judged an album so quickly. Some of the stuff I love now took a while to take hold, you know?

I need to have the physical copy too, whether it's the CD or vinyl.

Anyway I suppose the measure of this album is whether people think it's worthy of mention with the first 2, 5-10 years later. I'm probably guilty of biase as I'm blitzing it on a daily basis.

Mr White
21-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Gave it a couple of listens today. Better than I expected actually. Could be a grower. The Milkman's Horse is a good track.

Baldy Foghorn
22-09-2015, 02:07 PM
After a few listens so far, I think it is excellent.