PDA

View Full Version : Crops.

greenginger
22-08-2015, 09:15 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/english/interview-alex-cropley-on-his-jousts-with-rangers-1-3865719

:thumbsup:

oneone73
22-08-2015, 09:32 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/english/interview-alex-cropley-on-his-jousts-with-rangers-1-3865719

Sometimes,I feel really privileged to have seen the Tornadoes in their pomp. And other times, I could weep for the opportunities that were missed. That team could have won much much more.

Hamish
22-08-2015, 09:43 AM
A player who would be worth a fortune these days. A wand of a left foot. A privilege to have seen him play.

You can tell by the comments under the story how he well he was respected.

Keith_M
22-08-2015, 10:00 AM
It's amazing to think that a player that played in a good Hibs team then Arsenal and Villa, has to work as a Taxi Driver for a living.

I wonder how much a player as good as he was would be making today.

Allant1981
22-08-2015, 10:27 AM
It's amazing to think that a player that played in a good Hibs team then Arsenal and Villa, has to work as a Taxi Driver for a living.

I wonder how much a player as good as he was would be making today.

I had an ex player wanting a job with me and he played in the spl, the 1st division and the championship down south. He would have been on a good few grand a week down south as well as it was quite a good team he was with.

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Echoed echoed and echoed.

He was my first Hibs hero, and still up there as my favourite ever.

My oldest played with one of his sons in London. Am I jealous?

Too freaking right :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
22-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Fabulous memories. Favourite came from the TV. David Coleman waxing lyrical at Cropley's passing(Elland Road) as we played Leeds off the park twice in the UEFA cup. "You don't see passes like that every day" Yes you did!

I've used this before but he was put practicing his golf at Portobello and Towerbank were playing. I got a "Well played wee man" from someone I'd having trouble talking to today such was his status. :greengrin

Interesting wee anecdote about the shooting targets at Ibrox too.:wink:

Cheshire Hibby
22-08-2015, 11:34 AM

Quite simply a gifted player who played in a team that could/should have won more. Oh to have players of his ability now. Just class.

greenginger
22-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Alex, and big brother Tam used to be regulars in the Sunday morning kick about on the pitches up from Portobello Golf course back in the mid 60's when we were all about 14/15 years old.

It was all very informal ,no refs, strips or anything. We'd all be wearing gym shoes or baseball boots except Alex.

He'd have his football boots with inch long steel studs. He did'nt take prisoners even then ! :greengrin

GreenLake
22-08-2015, 11:51 AM
He tells wonderful stories, especially with his feet on the pitch.

Onion
22-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Talk about great players. Crops used to live in Tarvit Street when playing for Hibs and sometimes came down to the Meadows for a kick about with everyone else on a Sunday. I was a few years younger than him and still remember how small and slight he was "in real life" but a giant of a player on the field. What a talent.

Seveno
22-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Crops and Pat Stanton are my all time favourite players. I met him at a wedding a number of years back and was awe struck. Then quite dumbfounded one night to find myself being driven by him in a taxi. If it had been Pele, I wouldn't have felt more honoured.

SonOfDavidFrancey
22-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Sometimes,I feel really privileged to have seen the Tornadoes in their pomp. And other times, I could weep for the opportunities that were missed. That team could have won much much more.

Agreed. That hibs team should have done what Aberdeen did 10 years later. The ridiculous suspension rules that ruled out Edwards. The Brownlie leg break. I'm sure they would have had a genuine shout at the Cup Winners Cup that year.

Hillsidehibby
22-08-2015, 01:12 PM
I have the programme from his testimonial at Portsmouth

Lago
22-08-2015, 01:17 PM
I am with you, they were marvellous to watch and I truely believe that the slow but continued fall in stature can be measured from the time that team broke up. Even the golden generation couldnt match them, good as they were.

Tom Hart RIP
22-08-2015, 01:49 PM

My feelings exactly. Great team but Brownlie Stanton and Cropley could have played for any of the top teams in England

WoreTheGreen
22-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Crops v s allen night & day apart. Heart of a lion gracefull and skillfull.his brother Tam was a coach at Nittengrange a great guy.I bet SA will not be driving taxies when he chucks it AC made it down south enough said

Tom Hart RIP
22-08-2015, 02:04 PM
I was at his book launch at ER and a group of Arsenal fans turned up to pay tribute.
Also I am certain that I read in shoot or a similar magazine that Ossie Ardiles described him as his most difficult opponent in a Q&A.
Nobody ever believes me when I say that but I am 100% certain. Anyone else see that or am I going mad???

Roxyhibee
22-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Quite simply a gifted player who played in a team that could/should have won more. Oh to have players of his ability now. Just class.

Was a pleasure as a new Hibee watching the Hibs in those days - the 60's gave me Cormack, Martin, Hamilton, Scott, Marinello, Stevenson, Quinn, MacNamee... Then the 70's with Stanton, Brownlie, Edwards, Blackley, Schaedler, Gordon, ORourke, - and Cropley - and many others around that time.

Maybe this is why my generation moan about the mediocrity that's being accepted at Easter Road the past several years and the blind faith defence by many of any criticism of current players. It really is difficult watching some of our players (especially defenders) this past few seasons being held up as great signings /re signings. Jeez..

As examples, Stanton and Cropley were top drawer midfielders who were considered highly skilled players in their day. But - they were fierce, committed, hard tacklers too and it's no exaggeration to say they could easily teach some current defenders on how to time a tackle. Because, they had technique and bottle..

Kato
22-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Agreed. That hibs team should have done what Aberdeen did 10 years later. The ridiculous suspension rules that ruled out Edwards.......

....and Stanton, and Blackley.

Pat put it down to Aberdeen's Chairman and son more or less running the SFA in the early 80's (remember he was there as Ferguson's assistant, so experienced both aspects).

Read the last chapter of his book "The Quiet Man", and he's in no doubt that if Hibs had had that kind of representation in Glasgow we would never have suffered some of the SFA's more ridiculous suspensions.

Chibs
22-08-2015, 03:26 PM
An exceptional talent that I had the privilege to see as a young teenager.
He was also in a team of the most talented footballers that have graced Easter Road.
Pretty sure this link has been posted many times but I never tire of watcing.
Crops goal is something special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM

emerald green
22-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Was a pleasure as a new Hibee watching the Hibs in those days - the 60's gave me Cormack, Martin, Hamilton, Scott, Marinello, Stevenson, Quinn, MacNamee... Then the 70's with Stanton, Brownlie, Edwards, Blackley, Schaedler, Gordon, ORourke, - and Cropley - and many others around that time.

Maybe this is why my generation moan about the mediocrity that's being accepted at Easter Road the past several years and the blind faith defence by many of any criticism of current players. It really is difficult watching some of our players (especially defenders) this past few seasons being held up as great signings /re signings. Jeez..

As examples, Stanton and Cropley were top drawer midfielders who were considered highly skilled players in their day. But - they were fierce, committed, hard tacklers too and it's no exaggeration to say they could easily teach some current defenders on how to time a tackle. Because, they had technique and bottle..

:agree: Especially the bit in bold.

Also, anyone who is hard enough to break John Greig's toe in a tackle has my utmost admiration. I don't think it was deliberate BTW. Cropley just went in hard.

He was quite fearless for a slightly built guy. Tremendous player. Even had a team named after him - Liberton Cropley.

Bostonhibby
22-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Alex, and big brother Tam used to be regulars in the Sunday morning kick about on the pitches up from Portobello Golf course back in the mid 60's when we were all about 14/15 years old.

It was all very informal ,no refs, strips or anything. We'd all be wearing gym shoes or baseball boots except Alex.

He'd have his football boots with inch long steel studs. He did'nt take prisoners even then ! :greengrin
Yep, they used to visit/stay with the lady we knew as granny cropley who lived in the balconies at magdalene. Same backgreen as us.

Loved him great player and central to a great footballing Hibs team. Best I have seen by some way.

McD
22-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Based on your very detailed description of those players and your comments on your generation, I'd guess your a similar age to my old man, who often waxes lyrical about the Tornadoes, 40 odd years later can rhyme them off without hesitation. And also is rather underwhelmed with the current lot.

also, Alex and Tam are my dad's cousins :greengrin

IberianHibernian
22-08-2015, 07:50 PM
An exceptional talent that I had the privilege to see as a young teenager.
He was also in a team of the most talented footballers that have graced Easter Road.
Pretty sure this link has been posted many times but I never tire of watcing.
Crops goal is something special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVMThank you for that . I missed one league Derby between about 1969 and 1983 and it had to be 01.01.73 I always remember that the next Derby was a 4 v 1 defeat at Tynecastle at the start of 73 / 74 . When folk stopped me in the street in Roseburn after the match to ask me the score and I said 8 v 0 for Hibs people believed me .

Wee Scottie Dug
22-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Yep, they used to visit/stay with the lady we knew as granny cropley who lived in the balconies at magdalene. Same backgreen as us.

Loved him great player and central to a great footballing Hibs team. Best I have seen by some way.

Same balconies as me ..... I was 2/5 and the crops were 2/18 from memory - used to get a wee game with them out in the back-green now and again when they would let the younger ones have a game. There were some other good players amongst them , the droudge brothers , the o'donnels etc. great times. Alec still played with us whilst at Hibs but we were all sworn to secrecy :greengrin

Bostonhibby
22-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Same balconies as me ..... I was 2/5 and the crops were 2/18 from memory - used to get a wee game with them out in the back-green now and again when they would let the younger ones have a game. There were some other good players amongst them , the droudge brothers , the o'donnels etc. great times. Alec still played with us whilst at Hibs but we were all sworn to secrecy :greengrin
Same era and memories[emoji106]

We were in the opposite far corner of the backgreen. No really a green at all evil gravel stuff and four metal poles every 12ft or so.

BSEJVT
22-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Alex Cropley was a great player, hard,greater passer and good shot on him too.

Don't know if he was very quick or not but was supremely fit and got up and down the park easily

I think that the route of travel since the Tornadoes has been pretty steadily downhill with the odd blip.

I think one of the telling factors in that time is how relatively few players we have picked up from other Scottish clubs that made an impact at ER.

Certainly post Alex Miller days they have been few and far between.

I count myself privileged to have watched the Tornadoes and there style of football and some of their games will stay with me till I die.

Ggtth

Wee Scottie Dug
22-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Same era and memories[emoji106]

We were in the opposite far corner of the backgreen. No really a green at all evil gravel stuff and four metal poles every 12ft or so.

Looked upon them as natural goalposts and tried to avoid the ones in the middle of the pitch :wink:

IberianHibernian
22-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Alex Cropley was a great player, hard,greater passer and good shot on him too.

Don't know if he was very quick or not but was supremely fit and got up and down the park easily

I think that the route of travel since the Tornadoes has been pretty steadily downhill with the odd blip.

I think one of the telling factors in that time is how relatively few players we have picked up from other Scottish clubsthat mad an impact at ER.

Certainly post Alex Miller days they have been few and far between.

I count myself privileged to have watched the Tornadoes and there style of football and some of their games will stay with me till I die.

GgtthCropley was a great player who played in a Hibernian team which had 3 or 4 at least other outstanding players but think it`s only fair to say that all our rivals have also noted the shortage of talented players since Cropley`s time at ER . Cropley was replaced by Ian Munro who was a very good player but not nearly as special as Cropley . The decline in talent was not just a Hibs thing and remember that for all the talk of the Tornadoes we were a poor team in the late 1970s even though we were top of the league and in Europe in October 1978 , got nearest to winning SC in 1979 than in any time in 113 years ( calculating from now ) we were relegated in 1980 . We haven`t picked up players from other Scottish clubs because there haven`t been many available who are really going to make a difference - the odd one who is good has gone to England or Celtic / Rangers . This started before Alex Miller not after - the Miller regime was a long tortuous one that set us back many years but that`s another thread . This is about Cropley that I agree was a fantastic player .

Sergey
22-08-2015, 09:56 PM
You wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with him today.

Pete
23-08-2015, 12:09 AM
You can tell by the comments under the story how he well he was respected.

I can't speak for other rivalries but this is one element of the Edinburgh one that I really like. When it comes to the players from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and even the 80s, the talent of the player is generally appreciated before allegiances come into it. Club greats should be above petty rivalries, especially those from the eras I quoted who were genuinely playing for a jersey and not the pay check.

You couldn't meet a nicer guy to speak to and very humble considering the greatness he achieved. People might think it's a shame that he drives cabs when players of his ability nowadays would be millionaires but he's not the only one. I remember him saying that he used to work when the football was on and had fans of all descriptions giving him their expert opinions on the game in general from the passenger seat. How he reacted depended on what mood he was in but he didn't have to say much to make their jaws drop.:greengrin

Bukta#8
23-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Crops and Pat Stanton are my all time favourite players. I met him at a wedding a number of years back and was awe struck. Then quite dumbfounded one night to find myself being driven by him in a taxi. If it had been Pele, I wouldn't have felt more honoured.

For every hibby's taxing needs "city cabs" just think possibly having crops or geebsy ferrying you to your destination or go to central and possible get Neil Berry