PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Jim Scott (Hibernian 1958-67)

--------
21-08-2015, 08:03 PM
I just realised it's Jim Scott's 75th birthday today. Many happy returns, Jim! :not worth

Alfred E Newman
21-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Happy birthday Jim. Thanks for the memories.

eastterrace
21-08-2015, 08:37 PM
he was one of my favorite player back then, great dribbling skills.

Jonnyboy
21-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Happy birthday Jim. Thanks for the memories.

Ditto. Quality player :agree:

Roxyhibee
21-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Ah, Jim Scott.! One of my early heroes when I first went along in the early/mid 60's to see you with Pat Quinn, Neil Martin, Peter Cormack, Eric Stevenson.....can still see the small black and white pictures of your faces on rosettes they used to sell at the ground, haha.

Well, happy birthday Jim and thanks for some great young boyhood memories. That was an excellent team...

eastterrace
21-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Ah, Jim Scott.! One of my early heroes when I first went along in the early/mid 60's to see you with Pat Quinn, Neil Martin, Peter Cormack, Eric Stevenson.....can still see the small black and white pictures of your faces on rosettes they used to sell at the ground, haha.

Well, happy birthday Jim and thanks for some great young boyhood memories. That was an excellent team...

they were all quality players, no like the pish we watch now.

inglisavhibs
21-08-2015, 08:45 PM
I just realised it's Jim Scott's 75th birthday today. Many happy returns, Jim! :not worth
Not sure why but we called him"dough legs" . Some great memories watching that team.

--------
21-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Not sure why but we called him"dough legs" . Some great memories watching that team.

Maybe because he wasn't all that quick over the ground?

But he made up for it with phenomenal close control. A very fine player and a true gentleman. He and Alex opened a pub in Falkirk together. Both genuine guys.

Golden Bear
21-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Happy birthday Jim. I blame you and your teammates for turning me into a Hibby and making me suffer all these years!

Great days and the masochist tendancies in me wouldn't have changed any of them. Well maybe not.

Lago
21-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Happy birthday Jim. I blame you and your teammates for turning me into a Hibby and making me suffer all these years!

Great days and the masochist tendancies in me wouldn't have changed any of them. Well maybe not.
Me too. Happy days

ozhibs
22-08-2015, 01:53 AM

Me too the barstewards: agree:

Forza Fred
22-08-2015, 04:43 AM
Goodonya jim.

A superb player with the best dribbling skills I have seen in a Hibs jersey.

He would invite defenders to tackle him on the right side touch line, beat them on the outside, to be at a point where it seemed he HA D to cut inside...then beat the next one on the outside, and just when you thought he had done the impossible..he would beat the next one on the outside before whipping a cross in.

A linesman's nightmare!

heretoday
22-08-2015, 07:16 AM
I saw him later at Crystal Palace. John Yogi Hughes ex-Celtic was there too. I remember Scott used to take the pens at Hibs, rolling them into the corner. Joe Davis took over the job.

The Harp
22-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Happy 75th Birthday Jim (sorry it's a day late). You were a joy to watch in your time at Hibs. Hope the years have been kind to you.

SJNB Hibby
22-08-2015, 10:20 AM
He ended up at Palace, via Newcastle I believe, during their first couple of years in the old Division 1, had lost some pace by then, but was a good entertainer

Alfred E Newman
22-08-2015, 12:19 PM
they were all quality players, no like the pish we watch now.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

madsen5
22-08-2015, 05:19 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Agreed happy birthday Jim, that's the kind of quality player we used to take for granted 😎

Jonnyboy
22-08-2015, 09:57 PM
I saw him later at Crystal Palace. John Yogi Hughes ex-Celtic was there too. I remember Scott used to take the pens at Hibs, rolling them into the corner. Joe Davis took over the job.

Never forgave him for breaking Bobby Duncan's leg. Ref never even gave a foul :grr:

--------
22-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Never forgave him for breaking Bobby Duncan's leg. Ref never even gave a foul :grr:

Oh yes. That Hughes (as opposed to Yogi who played for and managed us) was a very nasty piece of work.

I was at that game and I was convinced then that Hughes deliberately set out to do Bobby serious damage - and succeeded. Bobby was potentially a top-class right-back who could have played at the very highest level in the game. After the injury he was never the same player.

I'm still absolutely certain that Hughes deliberately stamped n Bobby's leg as Bobby went past him with the ball. Bobby had had Hughes in his pocket from kick-off and Hughes didn't like it.

As you say, John - no booking, no free-kick, and the Celtic fans chanting "Yogi ... Yogi ... Yogi ..." as the St Andrew's Ambulance guys carried Bobby off on a stretcher. Both the tibia and fibula were broken, IIRC - he must have been in agony. Stein subbed Hughes a couple of minutes later - if he hadn't some of our players would have dealt with him as he deserved - and probably been given lengthy suspensions for their trouble.

However, Jimmy Scott and his elder brother Alex were, as I've said, thorough gentlemen and capable of making a football do things Hughes couldn't ever have even imagined. Sadly, Alex died in 2002, in his early 60's.

It's not often a football club signs a player as a direct replacement for his younger brother, as we did with Alex after Jim moved to Newcastle.

Jonnyboy
22-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Oh yes. That Hughes (as opposed to Yogi who played for and managed us) was a very nasty piece of work.

I was at that game and I was convinced then that Hughes deliberately set out to do Bobby serious damage - and succeeded. Bobby was potentially a top-class right-back who could have played at the very highest level in the game. After the injury he was never the same player.

I'm still absolutely certain that Hughes deliberately stamped n Bobby's leg as Bobby went past him with the ball. Bobby had had Hughes in his pocket from kick-off and Hughes didn't like it.

As you say, John - no booking, no free-kick, and the Celtic fans chanting "Yogi ... Yogi ... Yogi ..." as the St Andrew's Ambulance guys carried Bobby off on a stretcher. Both the tibia and fibula were broken, IIRC - he must have been in agony. Stein subbed Hughes a couple of minutes later - if he hadn't some of our players would have dealt with him as he deserved - and probably been given lengthy suspensions for their trouble.

However, Jimmy Scott and his elder brother Alex were, as I've said, thorough gentlemen and capable of making a football do things Hughes couldn't ever have even imagined. Sadly, Alex died in 2002, in his early 60's.

It's not often a football club signs a player as a direct replacement for his younger brother, as we did with Alex after Jim moved to Newcastle.

This. I agree 100% Doddie :agree:

Billy McKirdy
23-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Happy Birthday Jim, I was too young to see him play but he was in the Hibs team that beat Valencia 2-0 in the Fairs Cup the night I was born almost 50 years on the 8th September, I also got to know his son Jim quite well when we worked for the same company in the 1990s, I gave him my copy of Pat Stanton's book to give to his old man to read. :thumbsup:

Forza Fred
23-08-2015, 01:18 AM

I was in the coo shed that day, and in those days all that separated the rival fans was a row of polis standing on a stairway.

I remember that the exchange of bottles and cans between the two sets of supporters was the worst I have ever seen it.

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2015, 07:28 AM
I was in the coo shed that day, and in those days all that separated the rival fans was a row of polis standing on a stairway.

I remember that the exchange of bottles and cans between the two sets of supporters was the worst I have ever seen it.

Happy days! :greengrin

eastterrace
23-08-2015, 07:16 PM

yes remember it well ended up on the pitch when the mass battle in the cow shed was going on.