PDA

View Full Version : Ally McLeod former player

htfc
19-08-2015, 02:19 AM
Hi everyone,
Was on here a few years back trying to get in contact with the former Hibs footballer, Ally McLeod. I never managed to track him down and I am just wondering if anyone knows what he is up to these days, or where I can contact him?

Thanks and good luck for the season
htfc

Canon Hannan
19-08-2015, 06:01 AM
Can I help?
send me a pm thanks.

Hi everyone,
Was on here a few years back trying to get in contact with the former Hibs footballer, Ally McLeod. I never managed to track him down and I am just wondering if anyone knows what he is up to these days, or where I can contact him?

Thanks and good luck for the season
htfci

E10 Rifle
19-08-2015, 08:39 AM
One of my favourite Hibs memories involves him. Playing Dundee in the cold and wet at ER we were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. McLeod curled it into the top corner only for the ref to disallow it as he hadn't blow his whistle. At the re-take McLeod just curled it into the same top corner causing not one but two great 'sways' among the hundred or so young pups huddled together on the old terrace. We must have looked ridiculous in the great expanse of concrete but boy did we enjoy it. Super Ally.

JimBHibees
19-08-2015, 10:46 AM
One of my favourite Hibs memories involves him. Playing Dundee in the cold and wet at ER we were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. McLeod curled it into the top corner only for the ref to disallow it as he hadn't blow his whistle. At the re-take McLeod just curled it into the same top corner causing not one but two great 'sways' among the hundred or so young pups huddled together on the old terrace. We must have looked ridiculous in the great expanse of concrete but boy did we enjoy it. Super Ally.

Was it not the other top corner rather than the same one.

Peevemor
19-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Top right then bottom left. 100%

E10 Rifle
19-08-2015, 11:04 AM

'sigh'

highland hibbee
19-08-2015, 11:34 AM

My favourite Ally McLeod story is one by Tony Higgins. After George Best made his Hibs debut, Eddie Turnbul, spat the dummy that one of the Hibs players wouldn't pass the ball to Georgie. Anyway it came out somehow that Eddie was laying the blame at Ally. At training next day, Tony asks Ally, " is it true that it's you who wasna passing to George, is it you Eddie was meaning?" To which Ally replies, "He couldnae lace ma boots!" True story, allegedly ,

Monktonhall 7
19-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Ally was BTG at an HSL presentation with Grant Stott etc At the back end of last season. Might be worth giving the HSL guys a shout or the Supporters rep, Frank or Amit to make contact.

JimBHibees
19-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Are you sure thought both were high? :greengrin

Keith_M
19-08-2015, 12:18 PM
I have two main memories of Ally McLeod.

The first is of him taking the absolute worst penalty I have ever seen, at Brockville in 1980/81. He sauntered up to the ball and his kick only resulted in the ball trundling into the Goalie's waiting arms. He made up for it by scoring the winning goal.

My second is a more general memory, of him being so laid back that he would have made Malonga look hyper-active.

WoreTheGreen
19-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Really clever guy razor sharp one liner's slow in movement bit quick football brain . Really good player . One one of the old school like a fag and a beer

whiskyhibby
19-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Yes it was I was there behind the goal as a very young Hibs fan, what a player he was, hugely skilled and talented but couldn't run to save his life [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roxyhibee
19-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Great player with a razor sharp brain but only applied minimum effort to get the ball at his feet to show his amazing talents. Must have been a nightmare in training..

Another total footballer at the same time, Andy Ritchie of Morton was very similar in skill level and sweat output.!

Should have had them both on at half time with a ba' last Saturday to give us at least some entertainment for our money..!?

Keith_M
19-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Great player with a razor sharp brain but only applied minimum effort to get the ball at his feet to show his amazing talents. Must have been a nightmare in training..

Another total footballer at the same time, Andy Ritchie of Morton was very similar in skill level and sweat output.!

Should have had them both on at half time with a ba' last Saturday to give us at least some entertainment for our money..!?

Funny thing is I was thinking of Ritchie when I was writing my comment.

I realise these things are objective but I would have said Ritchie was a better player. Still can't believe he never went on to bigger and better things.

southsider
19-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Aly was a fab player but loved a moan. We were away to Dundee Utd when Aly had a right go at a young player (Pat Carroll ?) Big George Stewart was captain and told Aly to calm down. Aly told George to ****** off so George whacked him. Ref did not know what to do but neither got sent off.

Hibrandenburg
19-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Watching him move on the ball was like the special effects in the "Matrix" films.

greenpaper55
19-08-2015, 01:55 PM
There was a game at tyncastle where it was 0-0 with a few minutes remaining and Ally was brought on as a sub, this was after he had been out for months with injury and did he not go and score in the last minute or so-we were lucky to get out of the old enclosure alive !.

Hiber-nation
19-08-2015, 03:35 PM
There was a game at tyncastle where it was 0-0 with a few minutes remaining and Ally was brought on as a sub, this was after he had been out for months with injury and did he not go and score in the last minute or so-we were lucky to get out of the old enclosure alive !.

I remember him coming back after injury and scoring a late winner at tynie, can't remember him being a sub though. Carnage after the game right enough!

heretoday
19-08-2015, 03:48 PM

Yes although I thought it was an equaliser he scored in the final minutes. An enraged Jambo in a raincoat ran out from the stand enclosure and had a go I think!

Perhaps I'm mixing it up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mepPmVNnTK0

greenpaper55
19-08-2015, 03:56 PM
I remember him coming back after injury and scoring a late winner at tynie, can't remember him being a sub though. Carnage after the game right enough!

You might be right and it could have even been an equaliser ! was i even there ? the old memory and all that !.

Colr
19-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Remember seeing him and Andy Ritchie as the two overage players for Scotland U-21s against Norway U-21s back in the 70s.

Sublime football from the idlest looking pair in football at the time.

StevieC
19-08-2015, 05:22 PM
I remember a late equaliser at Tynecastle late 70's. Absolute carnage with pitch invasions and battles in the terracing.

gorgie greens
19-08-2015, 06:13 PM

My first derby at Tynie was the delayed New Year's Day game ,sure it got played on the 26th Jan ,was a school night ,and Ally won us the game 1-0 and it maybe same game ,remember all the fun n games trying to take the corner of the shed from the yams all game ,
Ah the good old days

Hiber-nation
19-08-2015, 06:20 PM
You might be right and it could have even been an equaliser ! was i even there ? the old memory and all that !.

I was thinking of this evening game although I can't remember what Ally's goal was like http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17253

The 1-1 draw was this game http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17166. Total carnage during and after the game.....

Then there was this game that all but relegated them :greengrin http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17180

stantonsboots
19-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Funny thing is I was thinking of Ritchie when I was writing my comment.

I realise these things are objective but I would have said Ritchie was a better player. Still can't believe he never went on to bigger and better things.no danger ally McLeod was a genius

SuperAllyMcleod
19-08-2015, 08:44 PM
I was thinking of this evening game although I can't remember what Ally's goal was like http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17253

The 1-1 draw was this game http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17166. Total carnage during and after the game.....

Then there was this game that all but relegated them :greengrin http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17180

My favourite player (hence the name) - I was at all three of these games but the 1-0 win sticks in the memory - particularly with Ally's trademark celebration of one arm in the air as he took the shortest route back to his half for the centre - he didn't waste energy running around celebrating a goal!

IberianHibernian
19-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Derbies at Tynecastle . Remember Ally scoring late winner ( 1 v 0 for us going on 6 v 0 though ) in ajanuary midweek Derby after New Year match was postponed . Also very late equaliser with header in an August match on a very hot day . Very heated match with Gerry O`Brien getting red card . This was only a year or so after King Paddy`s very late equaliser in Gorgie . Got to remember that in the 70s Hearts were nowhere near us so for them to beat us would be like us beating Celtic or much better now .

blackpoolhibs
20-08-2015, 06:18 AM
He used to run as if he had piles, but his skill level, vision and passing ability was superb. I remember when we signed him, the main thing that i remember being reported was he'd scored 4 goals against the old huns in one game.

It was a real shame he played for us when he did, i'd have loved to have seen him in a better Hibs team. :top marks

Kato
20-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Remember him playing as an over-age player in an Under 23 International at ER against Norway(?). 5-1 Scotland, four assists from McLeod and scored one himself. Every single player on the park far fitter than him but he was by far the quickest thinker. Great display.

Keith_M
20-08-2015, 09:51 AM
During McLeod's time at Hibs, his scoring rate was 1 in 3 (71 goals in 208 games)

That's not particularly great for an out and out striker but, as others have said, he had the misfortune to play in what was a very poor team during most of his time at Hibs and would have been interesting to see what he could have managed in a better side... or if he wasn't quite so lazy ;)

Kato
20-08-2015, 09:55 AM
out and out striker

But for a midfielder, which is what he really was, it's an outstanding return.

Keith_M
20-08-2015, 09:57 AM
But for a midfielder, which is what he really was, it's an outstanding return.

Not my recollection, definitely a striker.

Glesgahibby
20-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Remember it well!!
'allys the king of them all!'
GGTTH!!!

heretoday
20-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Actually, given the fact that Best was acquired merely to put bums on seats, I would say that at the time Ally McLeod was probably better than him.

superfurryhibby
20-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Remember Ally well. A pudding face and wee skinny legs, never the most athletic of players, but very skilful. Hibs fans took a while to warm to him, I do remember he took pelters for his laconic style. He also took a few years to settle in, struggling to claim a first team place when the fat one was our main man.

As some of pointed out, he figured mostly when the tornadoes were done and the club was in decline. His goals ratio is pretty impressive, all things considered.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Actually, given the fact that Best was acquired merely to put bums on seats, I would say that at the time Ally McLeod was probably better than him.

I agree.

IberianHibernian
20-08-2015, 09:37 PM
At the time he was a bit like Allan , Robertson and others we`ve signed who`ve failed to make an impression or not had a chance in England . He went from St Mirren to Southampton after scoring all 4 goals for St Mirren in a 4 v 1 League Cup win ( probably famous groups ) at Ibrox . Got a lot of abuse from our fans for being slow and lazy but was a great finisher ( Riordan was 20kg lighter but was similar as a great finisher ) and was real quality . Certainly brightened up many matches at a time when quality of entertainment had dropped a lot after Tornadoes .

Keith_M
21-08-2015, 08:25 AM
At the time he was a bit like Allan , Robertson and others we`ve signed who`ve failed to make an impression or not had a chance in England . He went from St Mirren to Southampton after scoring all 4 goals for St Mirren in a 4 v 1 League Cup win ( probably famous groups ) at Ibrox . Got a lot of abuse from our fans for being slow and lazy but was a great finisher ( Riordan was 20kg lighter but was similar as a great finisher ) and was real quality . Certainly brightened up many matches at a time when quality of entertainment had dropped a lot after Tornadoes .

:agree:

He could also teach the current lot how to actually cross the ball into the box.