PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris

fishybeaver
18-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Dundee Utd & Motherwell looking at Harris according to an ex Livingston player...dunno how he would know tho...anyone heard anything?

J-C
18-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Dundee Utd & Motherwell looking at Harris according to an ex Livingston player...dunno how he would know tho...anyone heard anything?

Loan or permanent?

TBH since his ankle break then his father's death, the laddie has been pretty poor and nowhere near the player that broke onto the scene, maybe a fresh start is what's needed.

bill the hibby
18-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Loan or permanent?

TBH since his ankle break then his father's death, the laddie has been pretty poor and nowhere near the player that broke onto the scene, maybe a fresh start is what's needed.

Very unfortunate, two things that are more than likely to take his mind off the game for a while

fishybeaver
18-08-2015, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=J-C;4444830]Loan or permanent?

TBH since his ankle break then his father's death, the laddie has been pretty poor and nowhere near the player that broke onto the scene, maybe a fresh start is what's needed.[/QUOTE

Didn't say just that the SPL sides were look at him.

CapitalGreen
18-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Loan or permanent?

His father died in 2012 before he broke into the first team...

Thecat23
18-08-2015, 12:59 PM
His father died in 2012 before he broke into the first team...

That's right. It was before he made his debut so I can't see that effecting him on the park. Seemed a prospect at first as well!

He lost his form a bit before he was injured and since he's been back he's not shown enough for me to merit a place in the team. I think Stubbs telling him if he found a club he could go says it all. Him, Handling and Stanton should be tearing up this league yet they are very soft!

All three I'd be happy to see go if we could get a few in to replace them.

Purehibee_MYB
18-08-2015, 01:03 PM
That's right. It was before he made his debut so I can't see that effecting him on the park. Seemed a prospect at first as well!

He lost his form a bit before he was injured and since he's been back he's not shown enough for me to merit a place in the team. I think Stubbs telling him if he found a club he could go says it all. Him, Handling and Stanton should be tearing up this league yet they are very soft!

Agree with you mostly TC but I'd like to see Stanton given more of a chance. That's unlikely to happen due to competition in the midfield so maybe just a loan for him for now and we can see how he does elsewhere first.

Smartie
18-08-2015, 01:04 PM
I think we'd be mental to let him go at this stage.

There's no denying he hasn't contributed enough since his injury.

Buy we're not exactly over-run with options out wide, and certainly not options who have pace. What happens if Boyle picks up another injury?

He's not had a run of games to let us down of late - the odd fleeting appearance when he has looked good (Dunfermline) and not so good (Montrose).

He's the kind of guy that I'd love to have on the bench on Sunday - last 10, tiring legs - may just be the opportunity he needs.

We're very quick to write players off.

Thecat23
18-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Agree with you mostly TC but I'd like to see Stanton given more of a chance. That's unlikely to happen due to competition in the midfield so maybe just a loan for him for now and we can see how he does elsewhere first.

Stanton is the best out the three. Maybe a loan deal would be best for him! Ive nothing against any of these players, I just don't think they are good enough. If you aren't doing it in this league then you aren't good enough.

GreenArmyyy!
18-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Buy we're not exactly over-run with options out wide, and certainly not options who have pace. What happens if Boyle picks up another injury?

He's not had a run of games to let us down of late - the odd fleeting appearance when he has looked good (Dunfermline) and not so good (Montrose).

He's the kind of guy that I'd love to have on the bench on Sunday - last 10, tiring legs - may just be the opportunity he needs.

I'm sorry but that is rubbish, Harris has had more than enough chances to be a success in the first team, second half against Falkirk and once he came on as a sub at Tynecastle, those are the only two times I recall Harris having a positive impact. We can't keep donating wages to players who are never going to make it at Hibs. Harris has some potential but unfortunately I don't see that bearing fruits whilst he is with Hibs. If Boyle were to get injured we can easily change formation so that shouldn't have a bearing on it. We have more than enough options at our disposal.

Thecat23
18-08-2015, 01:24 PM

I don't think anyone is quick to write him off. How many chances do we give someone before we say actually he just isn't good enough? If he was Stubbs wouldn't have said he's free to find himself a new club! Cut our loses with Alex and try get someone else in.

His loan with Dundee started ok then he was benched and never really played did he? I know Hartley wasn't fussed about him coming back!

Onion
18-08-2015, 01:49 PM

Unfortunately, this season we need every player to be at the top of their game and pulling their weight. Harris is a shadow of the lad who broke into the Hibs team 2 years ago, following his ankle injury, and might need to move on to move on. Sometimes it just takes a fresh start to get a player going again.

Smartie
18-08-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry but that is rubbish, Harris has had more than enough chances to be a success in the first team, second half against Falkirk and once he came on as a sub at Tynecastle, those are the only two times I recall Harris having a positive impact. We can't keep donating wages to players who are never going to make it at Hibs. Harris has some potential but unfortunately I don't see that bearing fruits whilst he is with Hibs. If Boyle were to get injured we can easily change formation so that shouldn't have a bearing on it. We have more than enough options at our disposal.

I've been very critical of Harris in the past - he drives me nuts because there's no doubt he should be doing better.

According to some we're on the point of signing McGeoch - our umpteenth central midfielder, we're nearly going to have as many as Fenlon had at this rate.

The Rangers' weaknesses have been discussed and most people would agree that their weakness is probably their pace at the back, so why we're all so keen to get rid of one of our few pacy players is a bit of a mystery to me.

If you don't have pace in your team then you get plodding side-to-side passing football with no cutting edge - which is rapidly becoming our trademark.

I just think he's worth another shot - I thought he looked lively against Dunfermline, didn't do so well against Montrose but still managed to create the opening goal with a well-weighted pass. Hasn't had a chance since (even though I would have pitched him on in the Dumbarton game when it was running away from us).

If we're going to write him off and get rid then we better have a quick wide player coming in.

bod
18-08-2015, 02:16 PM
wouldn't loose any sleep if Harris were to leave ,hasn't done enough the times i've saw him

Ozyhibby
18-08-2015, 02:20 PM
The Rangers' weaknesses have been discussed and most people would agree that their weakness is probably their pace at the back, so why we're all so keen to get rid of one of our few pacy players is a bit of a mystery to me.

When was the last time you seen Harris out pace anybody? Since the injury, the pace is just not there. He's more tentative going forwards than any of the midfielders we have at the club and usually doubles back to play the safe ball.
I think once McGeogh arrives that the 3 players will have been replaced and Stanton and Harris will go on loan.

Smartie
18-08-2015, 02:30 PM
When was the last time you seen Harris out pace anybody? Since the injury, the pace is just not there. He's more tentative going forwards than any of the midfielders we have at the club and usually doubles back to play the safe ball.
I think once McGeogh arrives that the 3 players will have been replaced and Stanton and Harris will go on loan.

At Dunfermline. Beat his man all ends up on the right, got a decent cross over and was unlucky not to get an assist.

Which is what sometimes happens when you play right footed players on the right. I'm sure Carmichael is capable of this too, if played on the right like he was at QotS.

Harris seemed to be mainly on the left against Montrose which makes you want to cut in a bit more. Which he did well when he played the pass in for the first goal in that game.

I'm not saying he's been outstanding but he's made enough of a contribution in fleeting appearances to be worth another shot.

eastterrace
18-08-2015, 02:39 PM

last ten tiring legs , were does this myth come from. these guys are athletes , so running about for 80 mins wont surely knacker them. as for harris sorry the lads not got it, compare him to some hearts youngsters and he is way behind them.

last ten tiring legs, were does this myth come from, these guys

J-C
18-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Why then when I mentioned him not being mentally strong enough the usual suspect posters shoot me down citing this as a reason for his poor form, I knew he lost his father but didn't know when, I just think he's bottled it after his break and won't get back to that level again, it happens in football.

J-C
18-08-2015, 02:59 PM
At Dunfermline. Beat his man all ends up on the right, got a decent cross over and was unlucky not to get an assist.

Which is what sometimes happens when you play right footed players on the right. I'm sure Carmichael is capable of this too, if played on the right like he was at QotS.

Harris seemed to be mainly on the left against Montrose which makes you want to cut in a bit more. Which he did well when he played the pass in for the first goal in that game.

I'm not saying he's been outstanding but he's made enough of a contribution in fleeting appearances to be worth another shot.

Think Carmichael is a left footer who plays on the right, maybe be wrong but don't think I am.

Purehibee_MYB
18-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Think Carmichael is a left footer who plays on the right, maybe be wrong but don't think I am.

Put in a fair few crosses from the left with his right foot on Saturday

Alfred E Newman
18-08-2015, 05:40 PM
My first impression of Carmichael is that his is no better than Harris. We seem to be continually bringing in new players who are no better that the players moved out to accommodate them.

Beefster
18-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I presume that Dundee weren't desperate to keep Harris then?

lord bunberry
18-08-2015, 05:45 PM
If there's no benefit to us in sending him out on loan then we should just keep him. It's strange that he seems to be in demand at a higher level than us, yet is deemed not good enough for us.

Alfred E Newman
18-08-2015, 05:52 PM
If there's no benefit to us in sending him out on loan then we should just keep him. It's strange that he seems to be in demand at a higher level than us, yet is deemed not good enough for us.

Exactly.

Gmack7
18-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Or Boyle

Blaster
18-08-2015, 05:57 PM
My first impression of Carmichael is that his is no better than Harris. We seem to be continually bringing in new players who are no better that the players moved out to accommodate them.

A bit early to be judging him, no? One game in after an injury. Scott Allan looked average in his first few games for us

nickwhibs
18-08-2015, 05:58 PM
I've been very critical of Harris in the past - he drives me nuts because there's no doubt he should be doing better.

According to some we're on the point of signing McGeoch - our umpteenth central midfielder, we're nearly going to have as many as Fenlon had at this rate.

If you don't have pace in your team then you get plodding side-to-side passing football with no cutting edge - which is rapidly becoming our trademark.

I just think he's worth another shot - I thought he looked lively against Dunfermline, didn't do so well against Montrose but still managed to create the opening goal with a well-weighted pass. Hasn't had a chance since (even though I would have pitched him on in the Dumbarton game when it was running away from us).

If we're going to write him off and get rid then we better have a quick wide player coming in.

I agree.

Pretty Boy
18-08-2015, 06:06 PM
How many good games has Harris actually had for Hibs? As in games were he really stood out as being something special.

Hearts at Tynecastle and the 2nd half of a semi final v Falkirk are the only 2 I can think off. He showed a fair few glimpses but his form was already dipping prior to the injury that is often seen as the catalyst for his downturn in performance. For reasons I don't understand after ripping apart Hearts and Falkirk in the games mentioned he seemed to lose confidence to just go past a man and was always looking to go inside or offload the ball. Maybe that was on instruction from the manager at the time but he never seems to have got over it.

There's only so long you can wait for a player to come good. His injury was a long time ago now, the loan move last year started well but fizzled out pretty quickly and he's not really impressed enough in the games he's had this season. If an offer comes in for him that is acceptable to club and player I can't say I'd be overly upset to see him go. Looked like he had bags of potential but it hasn't really worked out and I doubt it ever will at ER.

Beefster
18-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Or Boyle

I was under the impression that they had offered Boyle a contract.

fishybeaver
18-08-2015, 07:17 PM
They were but Stubbs said no back in May, it was in the EEN

Beefster
18-08-2015, 07:23 PM
They were but Stubbs said no back in May, it was in the EEN

Cheers. If it was in the EEN, I'm inclined to believe it. In the Hibs.net tradition though, we have posters claiming the exact opposite!

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2015, 07:25 PM
How many good games has Harris actually had for Hibs? As in games were he really stood out as being something special.

Hearts at Tynecastle and the 2nd half of a semi final v Falkirk are the only 2 I can think off. He showed a fair few glimpses but his form was already dipping prior to the injury that is often seen as the catalyst for his downturn in performance. For reasons I don't understand after ripping apart Hearts and Falkirk in the games mentioned he seemed to lose confidence to just go past a man and was always looking to go inside or offload the ball. Maybe that was on instruction from the manager at the time but he never seems to have got over it.

There's only so long you can wait for a player to come good. His injury was a long time ago now, the loan move last year started well but fizzled out pretty quickly and he's not really impressed enough in the games he's had this season. If an offer comes in for him that is acceptable to club and player I can't say I'd be overly upset to see him go. Looked like he had bags of potential but it hasn't really worked out and I doubt it ever will at ER.

He should have been grabbing the Montrose game by the scruff of the neck, to impose himself, but apart from his involvement in the opening goal, I was disappointed with him........

Thecat23
18-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Cheers. If it was in the EEN, I'm inclined to believe it. In the Hibs.net tradition though, we have posters claiming the exact opposite!

I'd believe anyone on here before that rag. Barry Anderson and the rest haven't a clue about both Edinburgh clubs!!

fishybeaver
18-08-2015, 07:29 PM

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-won-t-extend-alex-harris-dundee-deal-1-3738066

KWJ
18-08-2015, 07:32 PM
The 2 decent games comment seems mental to me.

He was an absolute stand out from the moment he was brought in (to a piss poor team) for his break through season. As soon as the team picked up the ball they went looking for him and he delivered on plenty of occasions.

An away game at Killie springs to mind when he danced in from the touchline and spanked one home.

Since the injury he's not been the same player for sure but you have a short memory if you didn't think he was a class act before then.

Like with Stanton the next season, far too much pressure too soon.

Can't disagree with that though. If any teams are looking at him now, I don't know why they'd then make an approach from what he's shown since the injury.

Hope he comes good of course.

eastmainsmsh
18-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Cracking player hope he can fulfil his potential with us

Pretty Boy
18-08-2015, 08:11 PM
The 2 decent games comment seems mental to me.

He was an absolute stand out from the moment he was brought in (to a piss poor team) for his break through season. As soon as the team picked up the ball they went looking for him and he delivered on plenty of occasions.

An away game at Killie springs to mind when he danced in from the touchline and spanked one home.

Since the injury he's not been the same player for sure but you have a short memory if you didn't think he was a class act before then.

Like with Stanton the next season, far too much pressure too soon.

Can't disagree with that though. If any teams are looking at him now, I don't know why they'd then make an approach from what he's shown since the injury.

Hope he comes good of course.

I accept he's had more than 2 good games, that was unfair and poorly worried rather than an accurate reflection of what I think.

The point still stands though that the belief he may well come good is based on a few good games before his injury. Since then I've seen little to suggest he's going to make the grade at Hibs. He played 14 games for Hibs pre injury and has played 36 since as well as 15 for Dundee and has got nowhere close to that early form.

Smartie
18-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I accept he's had more than 2 good games, that was unfair and poorly worried rather than an accurate reflection of what I think.

The point still stands though that the belief he may well come good is based on a few good games before his injury. Since then I've seen little to suggest he's going to make the grade at Hibs. He played 14 games for Hibs pre injury and has played 36 since as well as 15 for Dundee and has got nowhere close to that early form.

I do think that there are mitigating factors though.

A lot of those appearances were under Butcher - the less said about his team the better.

The vast majority of his opportunities seem to have been the last 10 minutes here or there, often in games we're chasing. It's not everyone who can make an impact under those circumstances.

The most damning thing re Harris imo is the simple fact that he's never managed to convince Stubbs that he's worthy of a run in the team and that is the most important thing.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Such a shame how it's gone. He broke through about the same time that Jamie Walker was getting in the Hearts side and Harris was on a different level. In the two years since, Walker-and his sisters pants-have left Harris miles behind. The injury has played a big part in that, however it's now more than 2 years since his ankle break. It's just not happening for him sadly. Butcher rushing him back didn't help either

IberianHibernian
18-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Hope Harris stays or at worst goes on loan till New Year then comes back . Understandably he`s being compared with Boyle and Carmichael . From what I`ve seen Boyle is very fast but has yet to prove he can make a big impression at Championship level let alone higher and Carmichael much the same ( he was linked to us when Fenlon was manager so has looked good in second tier for a few years now ) . Hopefully both will do well with us this season and next season in top league . Harris has already shown he`s good enough ( and a lot more ) in top league (he was outstanding in every game in late 2012/13 ) and even off form shows ability that others have yet to show .

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Such a shame how it's gone. He broke through about the same time that Jamie Walker was getting in the Hearts side and Harris was on a different level. In the two years since, Walker-and his sisters pants-have left Harris miles behind. The injury has played a big part in that, however it's now more than 2 years since his ankle break. It's just not happening for him sadly. Butcher rushing him back didn't help either

I don't think Harris was anywhere near being on a different level to Walker at that time far from it to be honest. He's on a different level now right enough though. Sadly he has not progressed as I thought he might for what ever reason and I fear he may fall out of the game altogether though I hope not.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I don't think Harris was anywhere near being on a different level to Walker at that time far from it to be honest. He's on a different level now right enough though. Sadly he has not progressed as I thought he might for what ever reason and I fear he may fall out of the game altogether though I hope not.

That 2-1 win at Tynecastle he was. I fear he may fall out the game as well, really hope not.

DH1875
19-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Did Stubbs say that Harris was free to find a new club? I thought at the time it was only Stanton & Handling.

J-C
19-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Did Stubbs say that Harris was free to find a new club? I thought at the time it was only Stanton & Handling.

Harris was not mentioned at the same time but since then he's probably been put in the same bracket as the other two, IMO I think he was testing the players resolve, either step up or ship out, this was their final chance to prove they deserve to be here, Stanton has shown a good few glimpses and Handling has been unfortunate.

we are hibs
19-08-2015, 08:38 AM

Are you seriously judging a player after 1 game?

RoscoHibby
19-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Really hope it works out for Harris and as such for hibs as well. So much in that we need pace to get down the outside of teams, and I'm sure in the training tests n what not, there is no one quicker. The thing that really stuck out for me with Harris, was how effortless it seemed for him to hit top speed in a few strides and just burn past people. I dont think the playing on the left hand side helps him that much. Been mentioned the game against the yams where he made mchattie look like a drunk just stumbling out the pub, he was played on the right.

If I was Stubbsy, I'd have him doing extra training just taking on a left back and pinging over crosses a few times a week, build him up, make him feel 10ft tall. Wingers/wide men all thrive on confidence, everyone knows this, are we doing anything to try help the laddie? We may well be, but I just think we've got a really good asset here and we're getting nothing back from him (appreciate a lot of this has to come from the player himself) but look at sproule, I'd probably say Harris has more natural skill, but pace will get you pretty far in the game as long as you can do the basics fairly well...

Also, as mentioned above, these 'athletes dont tire after 80 mins' line is absolute nonsense, if a defender has had a busy time for the preceeding 80 mins, he's not gonna be as sharp and quite as pacey as he was in the 1st min, they're just not, am sure teams analysts will agree from seeing the data. If we're leading 1-0 with 10 to go on sunday, I'd bring harris on for cummings for example, just stand him up front and ready to hit them on counter, no hun will catch him in a foot race, the rest is up to the laddie.

Seems a nice lad by all accounts, really hope it turns for him.

fishybeaver
21-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Signed for QOS apparently

Jim44
21-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Signed for QOS apparently

Can I be first to say it....... he'll come back to haunt us.:greengrin

heretoday
21-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Really hope it works out for Harris and as such for hibs as well. So much in that we need pace to get down the outside of teams, and I'm sure in the training tests n what not, there is no one quicker. The thing that really stuck out for me with Harris, was how effortless it seemed for him to hit top speed in a few strides and just burn past people. I dont think the playing on the left hand side helps him that much. Been mentioned the game against the yams where he made mchattie look like a drunk just stumbling out the pub, he was played on the right.

If I was Stubbsy, I'd have him doing extra training just taking on a left back and pinging over crosses a few times a week, build him up, make him feel 10ft tall. Wingers/wide men all thrive on confidence, everyone knows this, are we doing anything to try help the laddie? We may well be, but I just think we've got a really good asset here and we're getting nothing back from him (appreciate a lot of this has to come from the player himself) but look at sproule, I'd probably say Harris has more natural skill, but pace will get you pretty far in the game as long as you can do the basics fairly well...

Also, as mentioned above, these 'athletes dont tire after 80 mins' line is absolute nonsense, if a defender has had a busy time for the preceeding 80 mins, he's not gonna be as sharp and quite as pacey as he was in the 1st min, they're just not, am sure teams analysts will agree from seeing the data. If we're leading 1-0 with 10 to go on sunday, I'd bring harris on for cummings for example, just stand him up front and ready to hit them on counter, no hun will catch him in a foot race, the rest is up to the laddie.

Nice family too.

RMQ1967
21-08-2015, 03:29 PM

I don' think that fitness, speed or ability are the issue for AH. What frustrates me when watching him (similar to Wotherspoon) is what he does when we don't have the ball. He seems to float around aimlessly - not really demanding the ball or making runs in order to receive it - just seems content for the play to go on around him. Maybe it is a confidence thing but maybe he just doesn't have the drive & desire required to make himself an essential part of the play.

Big_Franck
21-08-2015, 03:56 PM
As he has joined another team in the same league on loan, I presume that we have inserted a clause stating that he can't play against us? We'd be idiots not to.

fishybeaver
21-08-2015, 04:00 PM
As he has joined another team in the same league on loan, I presume that we have inserted a clause stating that he can't play against us? We'd be idiots not to.

He cant as its only a lone deal.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2015, 04:00 PM
He's never been the same since he stopped playing behind Ryan McGivern, they had a wonderful understanding.

Ozyhibby
21-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I don' think that fitness, speed or ability are the issue for AH. What frustrates me when watching him (similar to Wotherspoon) is what he does when we don't have the ball. He seems to float around aimlessly - not really demanding the ball or making runs in order to receive it - just seems content for the play to go on around him. Maybe it is a confidence thing but maybe he just doesn't have the drive & desire required to make himself an essential part of the play.

He is nowhere near as good as Wotherspoon. Not even close.

Diclonius
21-08-2015, 04:35 PM
He's never been the same since he stopped playing behind Ryan McGivern, they had a wonderful understanding.

Didn't Harris usually play on the right at his peak? The 2-1 at Tynecastle where Caldwell scored the winner comes to mind.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Didn't Harris usually play on the right at his peak? The 2-1 at Tynecastle where Caldwell scored the winner comes to mind.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but there were a few times when they did link up well for some very good goals and assists by Harris. :greengrin

bill the hibby
21-08-2015, 05:16 PM

The move against falkirk in the semi

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2015, 05:41 PM
The move against falkirk in the semi

:agree: The goal against killie when it was abandoned.

IberianHibernian
21-08-2015, 05:43 PM
It was a bit tongue in cheek, but there were a few times when they did link up well for some very good goals and assists by Harris. :greengrin

Goal in match at Kilmarnock that was abandoned at half time was a good example - he scored a great goal from McGivern pass . Realised it was tongue in cheek.
When does his contract with us finish ? If 2016 presumably he won`t be back .

w pilton hibby
21-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Goal in match at Kilmarnock that was abandoned at half time was a good example - he scored a great goal from McGivern pass . Realised it was tongue in cheek.
When does his contract with us finish ? If 2016 presumably he won`t be back .

Harris is contracted until summer 2017.

Jim44
21-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Just like to add that the morons on FF are saying we are bigots and Stubbs is getting pelters for allowing one of our players to go to a rival team in the Championship. They just don't get it do they?

Forza Fred
21-08-2015, 10:22 PM
I wish the laddie well, that goes without saying.

Fitba is a tough game to make a living at, with one constantly being judged, and your ability being publicly questioned, with no guarantee of the length your career may last for before joining the unemployment queue.

Having said that....I never got caught up in the hype about him.

I remember watching him when he first broke into the team and questioning what all the publicity was about, as in my view he only seemed to be able to beat a man one way, and it took clubs all of thirty seconds to work out how to negate his obvious pace.

As I say I wish him well, just like all those other laddies who just were not good enough to be long term Hibs players,despite their desires and hopes. Not anyone's fault, just a question of natural ability.

IberianHibernian
21-08-2015, 11:02 PM

Fitba is a tough game to make a living at, with one constantly being judged, and your ability being publicly questioned, with no guarantee of the length your career may last for before joining the unemployment queue.

I remember watching him when he first broke into the team and questioning what all the publicity was about, as in my view he only seemed to be able to beat a man one way, and it took clubs all of thirty seconds to work out how to negate his obvious pace.

As I say I wish him well, just like all those other laddies who just were not good enough to be long term Hibs players,despite their desires and hopes. Not anyone's fault, just a question of natural ability.In case of Harris would say his failure to convince Stubbs he`s worth keeping is certainly not down to a " question of natural ability " . He`s probably first Hibs player since Riordan who`s good with both feet and he can certainly pass and finish better than most of the players who are still at ER . Having ( re ) signed Boyle and Carmichael it`s undertsandable that they get preference but it`ll be interesting to see which if any of the three have a good season in the Championship . Hopefully all 3 .

Thecat23
21-08-2015, 11:08 PM
In case of Harris would say his failure to convince Stubbs he`s worth keeping is certainly not down to a " question of natural ability " . He`s probably first Hibs player since Riordan who`s good with both feet and he can certainly pass and finish better than most of the players who are still at ER . Having ( re ) signed Boyle and Carmichael it`s undertsandable that they get preference but it`ll be interesting to see which if any of the three have a good season in the Championship . Hopefully all 3 .

I've not seen anything from him that he's a better finisher than most at ER. If he's good with both feet he doesn't show it enough. I think everyone wanted him to do well but looking at this I'd say his days at ER under Stubbs is over!

Forza Fred
21-08-2015, 11:14 PM
I've not seen anything from him that he's a better finisher than most at ER. If he's good with both feet he doesn't show it enough. I think everyone wanted him to do well but looking at this I'd say his days at ER under Stubbs is over!

Pretty much sums my views.

And if he is such a good finisher....how many goals did he score for us exactly?

As I say, not decrying him in any way, just don't think he meets most people's expectations when it comes to regular first team ability.

Unseen work
22-08-2015, 12:40 AM
Pretty much sums my views.

And if he is such a good finisher....how many goals did he score for us exactly?

As I say, not decrying him in any way, just don't think he meets most people's expectations when it comes to regular first team ability.

I think he has scored with 2 in his career? The semi final for us and 1 for Dundee which was a massive deflection. He scored a good goal for us when he first came through but the game got abandoned iirc

J-C
22-08-2015, 12:47 AM

As I say I wish him well, just like all those other laddies who just were not good enough to be long term Hibs players,despite their desires and hopes. Not anyone's fault, just a question of natural ability.

I'm with you here, never got the hype wit Harris, bags of pace, could beat his man with it but nothing much afterwards, a bit like wee Ivan, once teams sussed how to play him he was ineffective, been very disappointed with all our youngsters in the past 3-4 years, they all look weak in body and mind.

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2015, 12:58 AM
I'm with you here, never got the hype wit Harris, bags of pace, could beat his man with it but nothing much afterwards, a bit like wee Ivan, once teams sussed how to play him he was ineffective, been very disappointed with all our youngsters in the past 3-4 years, they all look weak in body and mind.Even the one who scored 20 goals last season?

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 01:07 AM
I'm disappointed we're letting him go he's never had a run in a hibs team that's been playing well. Every time he gets a chance we seem to be in a bit of a rut. I would've kept him and brought him off the bench when we were winning games to get his confidence up. I also think it's a mistake loaning him to a team that made the playoffs last season.

Pete
22-08-2015, 01:52 AM
I'm disappointed we're letting him go he's never had a run in a hibs team that's been playing well. Every time he gets a chance we seem to be in a bit of a rut. I would've kept him and brought him off the bench when we were winning games to get his confidence up. I also think it's a mistake loaning him to a team that made the playoffs last season.

To be honest mate I'm thinking that if he was going to make it then he would have by now. I'm just hoping that he is a late developer in certain departments and he proves me wrong.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-08-2015, 06:21 AM
One of my pals got a move to QoTS recently aswell, will be asking him how Harris gets on.

Borderhibbie76
22-08-2015, 07:58 AM

Completely agree with you...seen nothing to suggest Harris is a finisher at all and his Hibs days under Stubbs are deffo numbered. Other than 1 or 2 decent performances around the Falkirk semi of 2013... he has done nothing since, either here or Dundee to suggest he is worth keeping. I wish him well at QOS

Jim44
22-08-2015, 08:10 AM

I don't think this has gone unnoticed but I'm sure Stubbs has weighed it up and is comfortable with it. The mischief maker in me would like to think that this move is a wee wind up for Sevco but probably not.

squire
22-08-2015, 08:29 AM
I do feel sorry for Harris. Pat Fenlon and Malmo broke him. I was watching the match and our only tactic was to look for Harris to do something. That was our game plan and the whole weight of expectation was on him as the only bright spark in the team with a bit of ability.

We lost Griffiths and there was no one else but Harris to shoulder the burden. All this on a guy who was 18 and had played probably less than 10 first team games. He burst into the scene and looked fantastic, he was young, with blistering pace and made a major impact. He would have been walking on clouds but a better manager would have protected young talent.

But to have your whole Club's expectations on 1 young inexperienced player was far too much far too soon. I really felt sorry for him having all this pressure on his shoulders. The result was obviously demoralising for everyone and of course he got badly injured a couple of weeks later. If it wasn't the Malmo/injury scenario at the beginning of that season, he would have been burnt out by Christmas in my opinion.

heretoday
22-08-2015, 08:48 AM

I thought we weren't allowed to say the M word on here any more!

Ronniekirk
22-08-2015, 09:03 AM
I do feel sorry for Harris. Pat Fenlon and Malmo broke him. I was watching the match and our only tactic was to look for Harris to do something. That was our game plan and the whole weight of expectation was on him as the only bright spark in the team with a bit of ability.

We lost Griffiths and there was no one else but Harris to shoulder the burden. All this on a guy who was 18 and had played probably less than 10 first team games. He burst into the scene and looked fantastic, he was young, with blistering pace and made a major impact. He would have been walking on clouds but a better manager would have protected young talent.

But to have your whole Club's expectations on 1 young inexperienced player was far too much far too soon. I really felt sorry for him having all this pressure on his shoulders. The result was obviously demoralising for everyone and of course he got badly injured a couple of weeks later. If it wasn't the Malmo/injury scenario at the beginning of that season, he would have been burnt out by Christmas in my opinion.

You have missed out the role Butcher played He brought him back into a struggling team when he wasn't ready at Pittodrie and we lost a goal as Alex didn't close down the player ( might have been Flood ) who hit a wonder strike .
Butcher continued to play him when you could see his confidence was low and didn't protect him .he never really recovered from that .

Forza Fred
22-08-2015, 09:21 AM

No disrespect but sometimes I think we can be guilty of over analysing situations.

The football highway is littered with the wrecks of young, lauded 'stars of the future' who never quite managed the transition from 'youth superstar' to top drawer professional footballer.

One of the qualities required to make it in the professional ranks is resilience, that ability to overcome and bounce back from adversity.

At the end of the day, Alex is no different to thousands of aspiring footballers who have flirted with the possibility of becoming long term professional players, and while each and everyone if them may have had some outstanding characteristics to their game, they just were not the full required package.

That's how I see Alex I'm afraid.

I think he will have a future in football, but in the lower divisions.

As I say, many have dreams and ambitions, but most don't quite make it the top level....

squire
22-08-2015, 10:00 AM
No disrespect but sometimes I think we can be guilty of over analysing situations.

The football highway is littered with the wrecks of young, lauded 'stars of the future' who never quite managed the transition from 'youth superstar' to top drawer professional footballer.

One of the qualities required to make it in the professional ranks is resilience, that ability to overcome and bounce back from adversity.

At the end of the day, Alex is no different to thousands of aspiring footballers who have flirted with the possibility of becoming long term professional players, and while each and everyone if them may have had some outstanding characteristics to their game, they just were not the full required package.

That's how I see Alex I'm afraid.

I think he will have a future in football, but in the lower divisions.

As I say, many have dreams and ambitions, but most don't quite make it the top level....

I'm not saying Harris would have made it and gone on to star for a Premiership team.

I was trying to make the point about how we have declined as a club and a youth player was being looked upon by his manager as the only tactic to win games. Without Leigh we were so poor and Harris was expected to step up to the plate in my opinion. He may have had talent but what young, inexperienced player can take that responsibility as star player?

Next came the Butchering. I don't know what was going on and I agree with the other post saying he was pushed back too quickly with unrealistic expectations of carrying an under performing team.

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 10:04 AM
To be honest mate I'm thinking that if he was going to make it then he would have by now. I'm just hoping that he is a late developer in certain departments and he proves me wrong.
You may be right, but I'd like to have given him another chance in a team full of confidence. I just can't see what hibs are gaining from this deal.

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 10:05 AM
I don't think this has gone unnoticed but I'm sure Stubbs has weighed it up and is comfortable with it. The mischief maker in me would like to think that this move is a wee wind up for Sevco but probably not.
:greengrin It is quite funny when you think about it.

Jim44
22-08-2015, 10:05 AM
I think this is one of these times when a four year deal (if I remember rightly) has worked against us.

J-C
22-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Even the one who scored 20 goals last season?

Jeez! it was plainly obvious I was talking about Stanton and Handling but no it had to be another smart arse comment on hibs.net again, get so ****ing fed up with peoples sarcy comments on this site, it's no wonder the guys ITK stop posting info when all they get is cheeky sarcy posts aimed at them.

jacomo
22-08-2015, 04:00 PM
I think this is one of these times when a four year deal (if I remember rightly) has worked against us.

Not if he comes back from this loan a better player.

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Jeez! it was plainly obvious I was talking about Stanton and Handling but no it had to be another smart arse comment on hibs.net again, get so ****ing fed up with peoples sarcy comments on this site, it's no wonder the guys ITK stop posting info when all they get is cheeky sarcy posts aimed at them.Eh okay.

Alfred E Newman
22-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Not if he comes back from this loan a better player.

Seemingly laid on the first goal today.