PDA

View Full Version : Stop Rangers fullbacks & you stop Rangers

Springbank
18-08-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm going to ibrox this Sunday

Like a few others I think I've seen the good and bad in this Rangers team.

The centre backs and goalie are there for the taking...but we need to shoot whenever and wherever the opportunity comes. No tip tap. We need to be ruthless as they are a vulnerable shaky backline.

Rangers midfield lacks creativity and the main reason they play at pace and with width is coming from their two full backs.

I'd play 2 wingers

I'd tell the forwards to fill the space vacated by the fullback when they bomb on

And with a Hibs midfield of good passers I'd say the minute you win the ball play a first time ball, blind, into the Rangers full back area

That way the Rangers need to think twice (so far everyone has played into their hands) plus Boyle in particular can burn the exposed centre halves for pace

That's my gameplan

CorrieHibs
18-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Totally agree with that. Tavernier looks a class act and is very good and dangerous at going forward.

I think our midfield is stronger though. We need to use boyle's pace as Wilson and the other one do not look comfortable at all. I think this game would be ideal for Farid as well. (pity he is injured though).

Keith_M
18-08-2015, 08:12 AM
It's a nice plan but it relies on wingers and pace, which seems to be exactly what Hibs have been lacking.

Stubbs seems to set his team out more with 'patience' in mind. I'd love to see him try something different for a change.

Ronniekirk
18-08-2015, 08:23 AM

The centre backs and goalie are there for the taking...but we need to shoot whenever and wherever the opportunity comes. No tip tap. We need to be ruthless as they are a vulnerable shaky backline.

Rangers midfield lacks creativity and the main reason they play at pace and with width is coming from their two full backs.

I'd play 2 wingers

I'd tell the forwards to fill the space vacated by the fullback when they bomb on

And with a Hibs midfield of good passers I'd say the minute you win the ball play a first time ball, blind, into the Rangers full back area

That way the Rangers need to think twice (so far everyone has played into their hands) plus Boyle in particular can burn the exposed centre halves for pace

That's my gameplan

We are t exactly clinical finishers yet ,but maybe this game will see players have an edge that might change that .The ox needs to build on his point blank saves from Saturday as he will be needed
Not sure what our line up will be as we now have options ,but we need to keep our discipline even if we go a goal behind.
On last Saturday's performance not sure this is a game for Carmichael starting .
Bartley s tackling will be needed as he looks strong but if we allow rangers to play in and around our box with their passing and movement giving away cheap free kicks is something we need to cut out .

Agree boyles pace will be utilised but they will be aware of that so think he may have license to switch positions and see where he gets best return .

Big Noisy Hostile crowd need silenced and only way to do that is frustrate them and take our chances when they come
The Orck s are already viewing this as a Title decider so they are overconfident

looking forward to it ,but still think it's a few weeks too early for us as a team ,based on Saturdays tentative showing in the first half ,and trying to embed new players into team .Any hesitancy will be exploited as their tails are up given how freely they have been scoring ,although St Mirren showed they are vulnerable at the back ,and when pressure was on to get the third goal they were making a meal of it ,and even Deano had good fortune when the third went in .
Moan the Underdogs

Onion
18-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Overall, still think this Hibs team are better suited to playing on the counter than chasing games, as they had to with Morton. The Huns will come at us from the off now that they're invincible. If Hibs defence & mids can withstand this, we'll definitely have a chance of doing damage on the break.

Heisenberg
18-08-2015, 08:27 AM
You could say the exact same thing about Hibs. Our fullbacks are the only way we attack down the wings, other than that it's all too narrow and through the middle.

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Ive been saying the same as the OP for the last week or so.

I'd play 4-5-1 so we have plenty cover down the wings, and get carmichael & boyle to push Wallace and Tavernier back. Tavernier is excellent going forward, but not great at the back. I also think we need to put pressure on Keirnan, and their keeper as they are their weak links.

I'd go with

Oxley

Stevenson
Hanlon
Fontaine
Gray

Carmichael
Fyvie
McGinn
Henderson
Boyle

Cummings

southern hibby
18-08-2015, 08:46 AM
My game plan is hack maim kill. But seriously said in another thread about their full backs getting crosses in and us being pants at defending crosses. Needs to be stopped from the start. Also in their face at every opportunity and wind them up non of this nice nice stuff.
Wind them up about SA being a true blue and would rather join the lesser greens than playing with lossers like them. Every opportunity wind them up. They did it to us via media do it to them make them angry and they'll do rash things.
Not really the way I want my football played but they need to be put back in their box.

GGTTH

JimBHibees
18-08-2015, 08:49 AM
It's a nice plan but it relies on wingers and pace, which seems to be exactly what Hibs have been lacking.

Stubbs seems to set his team out more with 'patience' in mind. I'd love to see him try something different for a change.

Boyle on one side and maybe McGinn the other, naturally left sided and quite athletic and determined. Not his favoured position but maybe do a job.

we are hibs
18-08-2015, 09:07 AM
I hope we put pressure on their goalie when he has the ball at his feet - his kicking is horrific and we could benefit from having someone quickly closing him down

Gmack7
18-08-2015, 09:13 AM
If we play the diamond their fullbacks will have a field day. We must have width

Keith_M
18-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Boyle on one side and maybe McGinn the other, naturally left sided and quite athletic and determined. Not his favoured position but maybe do a job.

Worth a try

:aok:

Hibrandenburg
18-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Keep the fullbacks on the back foot, if they're permanently on the defensive they can't be a threat. Don't know how the **** we're gonna do that though.

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Totally agree with the OP ...... Everything good the Huns do comes from their full backs, stop them and you give yourself a chance, that's why I would like to see Bartley played almost like a sweeper, covering for whichever full back pushes up the park .. force them to play narrow.

Thecat23
18-08-2015, 01:02 PM

I'd play 2 wingers

That's my gameplan

Very good post and I totally agree.

For the record they are very confident of three points this week and will come out the traps quick. If we can contain them and stop the wing backs playing we could well cause damage!

FromTheCapital
18-08-2015, 02:53 PM
We're asking to be beaten if we don't start with wingers. I'd like to see us possibly go with Boyle up against Wallace to try and stretch him as I don't think Wallace is that good under pressure and Henderson out on the left against Tavernier with McGinn, Bartley and Fyvie operating in the middle of the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
18-08-2015, 02:55 PM
We're asking to be beaten if we don't start with wingers. I'd like to see us possibly go with Boyle up against Wallace to try and stretch him as I don't think Wallace is that good under pressure and Henderson out on the left against Tavernier with McGinn, Bartley and Fyvie operating in the middle of the park.

I think that is what Stubbs will do.

Brightside
18-08-2015, 02:58 PM
They have just signed up a young lad from Arsenal for a season loan too. Hate to say it but he is bringing in high quality players.

CorrieHibs
18-08-2015, 03:25 PM
They have just signed up a young lad from Arsenal for a season loan too. Hate to say it but he is bringing in high quality players.

You never know with these youngsters from the EPL. We signed a arsenal defender on loan who never worked out.

JimBHibees
18-08-2015, 03:31 PM
You never know with these youngsters from the EPL. We signed a arsenal defender on loan who never worked out.

In saying that I think Warburton's knowledge in these areas will be slightly more advanced than Terry's was. :greengrin.

FromTheCapital
18-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I think that is what Stubbs will do.

I hope so. They're definitely shaky at the back but we need to make our chances count, we haven't done that so far this season.

Stine
18-08-2015, 03:35 PM

If this is true and they have signed him, they have a top player. Zelalem is one of the star players in the Arsenal Youth. Played for the first team in League cup and is tipped for the very top. Issues like attitude and so on aside this kid is the most talented player in the league by a distance. I hope he doesn't show that talent. I am massively gutted because as a big Arsenal fan this is my worst nightmare.

JimBHibees
18-08-2015, 03:40 PM
If this is true and they have signed him, they have a top player. Zelalem is one of the star players in the Arsenal Youth. Played for the first team in League cup and is tipped for the very top. Issues like attitude and so on aside this kid is the most talented player in the league by a distance. I hope he doesn't show that talent. I am massively gutted because as a big Arsenal fan this is my worst nightmare.

Lets remember Boateng was Arsenal u21 captain though. :greengrin

Is he not a midfielder?

Stine
18-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Lets remember Boateng was Arsenal u21 captain though. :greengrin

Is he not a midfielder?

Yeah centre mid. Can play behind striker or deeper. I remember my excitement about Boateng as well. How wrong I was. But I have seen Zelalem play quite a few times and this kid can play. He will be a joy to watch. I just hope he can't stand the climate up here. Or discovers what an awful mistake he has made signing for that lot.

This is still to be confirmed of course, so there is hope yet.

Borderhibbie76
18-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Yeah centre mid. Can play behind striker or deeper. I remember my excitement about Boateng as well. How wrong I was. But I have seen Zelalem play quite a few times and this kid can play. He will be a joy to watch. I just hope he can't stand the climate up here. Or discovers what an awful mistake he has made signing for that lot.

This is still to be confirmed of course, so there is hope yet.

I wish Stubbs and Hibs would hurry up and get a few new faces in. ..things haven't half slowed down in this window after a promising start. A few new faces are needed in particular a striker and a central defender and if I'm being greedy another left back

Michael
18-08-2015, 04:56 PM

I'd heard a lot of good things about Zelalem...based on that I'm actually quite surprised he can't do better than Scottish second tier? Could be a good signing for them...but then again Boateng came from Arsenal...

Stine
18-08-2015, 05:04 PM
I'd heard a lot of good things about Zelalem...based on that I'm actually quite surprised he can't do better than Scottish second tier? Could be a good signing for them...but then again Boateng came from Arsenal...

I am surprised as well. Physically he is still a bit lightweight but he is only 18. Maybe not wanting to throw him into Championship football just yet.

truehibernian
18-08-2015, 05:32 PM
The Rangers play Ayr tomorrow in the Petrofac.........be interesting to see their line up.

One thing I noted first half in the heavy defeat was their inability to mark Dom - last season was the same, his movement can sometimes go unrecognised. IIRC he had a couple of early chances in the game that would have got us off to a flyer. Last season he dropped deep and migrated out wide (Lewy's goal at Ibrox). In the play off at Ibrox he had two glorious chances to score, the header especially - again he was free in the box.

If Dom is on his game I think we will have a really good chance.

gorgie greens
18-08-2015, 06:35 PM
We were gash when we played the 442 system ,we need 2 attacking full backs and a driving midfield and get their full backs defending rather than attacking us

ancient hibee
18-08-2015, 08:23 PM
If ever there was a game to keep their full backs turning this is it.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-08-2015, 09:49 PM

This

Scooter
18-08-2015, 10:43 PM
4 of their 5 goal against alloa was either created or scored by a full back.

Gray RB
Fontaine CB
Hanlon CB
Stevenson LB

Bartley DMD

Fyvie CM
McGinn CM

Boyle AMR
Carmichael AML

Cummings ST

As someone said I'd almost tell Boyle and Carmichael to stay up and get Bartley to come over and cover what ever side they are attacking and if they lose it knock it into the vacated full back position