PDA

View Full Version : Squad: Right-sided CB/RB, a left-back and a left winger (goalscorer if I'm greedy)

TheFamous1875
17-08-2015, 03:40 PM
If we can get quality signings made for these positions I will be happy with our squad.

[all examples in no order or personal preference, just based on possible injury/form/tactics]:

Team:

Oxley.

Gray. [Right Centre-half.] Fontaine. Left-back.

Mcgeouch. McGinn.

Carmichael. Henderson. [Left-footed-winger.]

[Natural goalscorer/whoever's in form/Insall?.]

SUBS: Reguero; Hanlon, Bartley, Boyle, Keatings, Fyvie, Cummings.

Squad: Malonga, El-Alagui, Forster, Stanton, Harris, Martin, Dunsmore, Crane, L. Allan, Stevenson.

What do we all think of that? All bases are covered in my view; lots of options for squad rotation and we're not left short if someone becomes injured. I'd be very happy to make these signings and I believe we'd absolutely be able to challenge for the league championship all the way through the season if we get these signings and they're of a high quality.

J-C
17-08-2015, 03:43 PM
If we can get quality signings made for these positions I will be happy with our squad.

[all examples in no order or personal preference, just based on possible injury/form/tactics]:

Team:

Oxley.

Mcgeouch. McGinn.

Squad: Malonga, El-Alagui, Forster, Stanton, Harris, Martin, Dunsmore, Crane, L. Allan, Stevenson.

What do we all think of that? All bases are covered in my view; lots of options for squad rotation and we're not left short if someone becomes injured. I'd be very happy to make these signings and I believe we'd absolutely be able to challenge for the league championship all the way through the season if we get these signings and they're of a high quality.

Can only thank **** you're not managing Hibs.

Carmichael before Boyle?
No Cummings our top striker?
McGinn sitting deep beside McGeouch, both are attack minded, McGinn is also a natural left sided player.
Insall in the team, a player not signed but on trial and never played higher than semi pro?

Billy Whizz
17-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Can only think think **** you're not managing Hibs.

Brilliant

TheFamous1875
17-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Can only think think **** you're not managing Hibs.

:faf: :faf:

What's so bad about us making those signings like??

J-C
17-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Brilliant

Edited :greengrin

J-C
17-08-2015, 03:51 PM
:faf: :faf:

What's so bad about us making those signings like??

Nothing wrong with the signings you want, they make sense, just the team you put out, the position of certain players and players you've left out.

Steve20
17-08-2015, 03:55 PM
We need a goalscorer 100%.

TheFamous1875
17-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Can only thank **** you're not managing Hibs.

Carmichael before Boyle?
No Cummings our top striker?
McGinn sitting deep beside McGeouch, both are attack minded, McGinn is also a natural left sided player.
Insall in the team, a player not signed but on trial and never played higher than semi pro?

Right, okie-doke! Haha Like I say, it's just an example, it's not based on my preferences for team choice, I possibly could've made that clearer! Team choice wasn't based on any specific match or anything, it's just an example - such as Insall being picked to lead the line - it's hypothetical since we've not even seen him/signed him! It's a rough idea of how things could look halfway through the season or whatever. I agree with your points (I was also sure that when I posted that I'd put McGinn on the left as I know he's a leftie but I'll check it now) but I'd like to think that we would have these types of options throughout our season, where we can afford to not have a 'CDM' in the middle as we need to run at teams, say against an off form team at home, for example. Like I say, it's just an example of how things could look: no one can accurately ascertain how things will fare this early on in the season, so it's all just a bit of fun, speculation and guesswork!

MWHIBBIES
17-08-2015, 04:06 PM
We need a goalscorer 100%.We really don't, we have 4 strikers who will all get 20 goals this season if they play every week. We need more goals from midfield tbh.

hibbytam
17-08-2015, 04:10 PM
We need a goalscorer 100%.

We have 3. (1 currently injured) That's not our most urgent problem.

We need to get more goals from midfield, something that I think will be amended more through tactics/training than through buying new players.

we need a CB, preferably one who can dominate in the air, and so help prevent us losing the idiotic goals that we generally concede.

Franck Stanton
17-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Team:

Oxley.

Mcgeouch. McGinn.

Agree we need players in the positions you mention ....however the team you have picked is ,,,,,,well lets just hope we never have to play those players in those positions shall we.

Just my opinion but team I would like to see start majority of our games would be ...........

[new keeper] ok not gonna happen so Oxley [reluctantly]

Gray New R/C/Half Fontaine New L/B

Fyvie Bartley

Boyle Henderson McGinn

New c/f [Farid type hit/target man]

Subs : Rougero [Sp ?] Hanlon McGeoch Cummings Carmichael Keatings Stevenson

IMO we have " game-changers" on the bench and all are more than capable of first team starts if any of first 11 players injured/off-form.

J-C
17-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Right, okie-doke! Haha Like I say, it's just an example, it's not based on my preferences for team choice, I possibly could've made that clearer! Team choice wasn't based on any specific match or anything, it's just an example - such as Insall being picked to lead the line - it's hypothetical since we've not even seen him/signed him! It's a rough idea of how things could look halfway through the season or whatever. I agree with your points (I was also sure that when I posted that I'd put McGinn on the left as I know he's a leftie but I'll check it now) but I'd like to think that we would have these types of options throughout our season, where we can afford to not have a 'CDM' in the middle as we need to run at teams, say against an off form team at home, for example. Like I say, it's just an example of how things could look: no one can accurately ascertain how things will fare this early on in the season, so it's all just a bit of fun, speculation and guesswork!

Fair enough, I agree about the DM, we only need to play one if the FB's are bombing forward or we play against teams from the Premiership or Rangers etc.

I'd go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

Ox

Gray/Need Cover
New right footed CH/Forster
Fontaine/Hanlon
Stevenson/Crane

McGeouch/Henderson
Fyvie/Bartley/Martin
McGinn/Henderson/Stanton

Boyle/Carmichael/Insall
Cummings/Keatings/Malonga/Farid/Insall
Carmichael/another left winger/Insall

Smartie
17-08-2015, 04:12 PM
I think there are a few unknowns that we need to ponder before we jump in and commit to spending our remaining transfer budget.

1. Can Dunsmore and Crane REALLY be relied upon to provide cover for our first-choice fullbacks?

2. What is Keatings like, does he offer something different to what we already have?

3. What is the likelihood of Farid playing a reasonable part of the season?

4. How much do we have to spend? Significant because ideally we'd strengthen a few areas. But I really like Stubbs' "quality over quantity" mantra and it's important we get people in who are going to improve the team, or at least be trusted to come in and play a part from time to time and not just fill a squad number jersey.

Personally, I think a bit of decent defensive cover and we're there. I don't like Cummings and Malonga up front together but Keatings and Farid offer something different and would complement the other 2 very well.

If Keith Watson could be relied upon to be fit a bit more often then he'd be ideal, as he can cover all defensive positions if needed (a bit like Ian Murray did). I think that it is important to be able to vary our formation if required - we can't do the 3-5-2 now if even only one player gets injured - this must be addressed. It is important that the squad isn't so thin that we play into other teams' hands tactically because we simply don't have the numbers in to play certain ways.

offshorehibby
17-08-2015, 05:19 PM
If we can get Keatings and Farid fit i think either one would be a good pairing with JC. I would like to see us strengthen in defence though.

Sir David Gray
17-08-2015, 08:21 PM
We need at least two defenders to come in by the end of August.

Our lack of cover at the back is a cause for concern.

bill the hibby
17-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Really hope we get someone in to provide more competition for LB and I hope we sign someone to replace Hanlon, just doesn't fill me with any confidence at all

Ronniekirk
17-08-2015, 08:28 PM
We need at least two defenders to come in by the end of August.

Our lack of cover at the back is a cause for concern.

With Foster still injured i can't think Stubbs will be happy going to Ibrox without having signed cover ,as he will know we will need to putt in a shift ,and some hard tackles will be flying about ,so there must be a risk of a defender getting an injury .

Brightside
17-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Really hope we get someone in to provide more competition for LB and I hope we sign someone to replace Hanlon, just doesn't fill me with any confidence at all

Paul Hanlon will not be dropped any time soon. You need to work on your confidence and admire the composure of a talented footballer. :green grin

I do think a right sided defender will come in but it will be to play in a 3 at the back with 5 in midfield. I like Forster in there and if he can stay fit we'll be good....
What Hanlon provides is cover to allow a more direct defender like Fontaine to attach CFs. If Fonts is beaten Hanlon mops up. I think we are a much better team playing the three at the back and its in no way defensive.

Brightside
17-08-2015, 10:09 PM
With Foster still injured i can't think Stubbs will be happy going to Ibrox without having signed cover ,as he will know we will need to putt in a shift ,and some hard tackles will be flying about ,so there must be a risk of a defender getting an injury .

Forster is back in training.

Ronniekirk
17-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Forster is back in training.
Good to hear ,if push came to shove could he be on the bench on Sunday ?

Brightside
17-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Good to hear ,if push came to shove could he be on the bench on Sunday ?

Doubt it....he;s just running at the moment. Id put Bartley in the 3 v Rangers. He's played there in the past. Maybe play him just in front of F & H

BTW Handlng was at the kids musselburgh tourney at the weekend and I'm told everything looking good. Still months away obv but he's working out in the gym etc.

Ronniekirk
17-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Doubt it....he;s just running at the moment. Id put Bartley in the 3 v Rangers. He's played there in the past. Maybe play him just in front of F & H

BTW Handlng was at the kids musselburgh tourney at the weekend and I'm told everything looking good. Still months away obv but he's working out in the gym etc.

That's what I thought .you still hopefull of a defender being signed possibly this week or is it looking like dragging on

Brightside
17-08-2015, 10:34 PM
That's what I thought .you still hopefull of a defender being signed possibly this week or is it looking like dragging on

I'll be surprised if we don't here of 3 players this week. Insall Dylan and AN Other.... also chat of another more experienced striker.

Bad Habits
17-08-2015, 10:48 PM
"we need a natural goal scorer"

not like we have the leagues top score, who just two days ago scored after 35 seconds on the pitch......

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Would have liked to have signed a decent keeper, and cover for full backs.....That said I think we have a decent midfield, and a fit Farid and Keatings will really help JC along (not that JC is doing badly), just think they will create more for him......

Unseen work
17-08-2015, 10:54 PM
I think if it was a 352 it would be

Oxley
Gray hanlon fontaine
Boyle fyvie bartley mginn/henderson Stevenson
Cummings malonga

If there is no new signings. However expect us to announce Dylan and insall tomorrow. Dunno where Dylan would fit in however

AlbertK86
18-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I think if it was a 352 it would be Oxley Gray hanlon fontaine Boyle fyvie bartley mginn/henderson Stevenson Cummings malonga If there is no new signings. However expect us to announce Dylan and insall tomorrow. Dunno where Dylan would fit in however

UW do you have an inside track on them being announced or is it a hopeful shout