PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Oduwa

Mikey09
17-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Ok. So I'm sure the debate will be the "Have some respect" camp v's the "great entertainment" brigade!
After coming on as a sub against Alloa,, and looking a decent player by the way, what's your thoughts on his flick over the full backs head trick?! Personally I don't like it. Nothing wrong with beating a man with a piece of skill but in my opinion that's taking the piss. For one, it's disrespectful, and two, he's no good enough to pull it off! As I said he looks a decent player but have some respect pal. You're playing Alloa FFS. I wish there had been time for the full back to give him a wee dig back and put him on his arse.

HappyHanlon
17-08-2015, 11:03 AM
I'd imagine the lad is eager to impress both Warburton and Spurs.

If the Alloa boy was that annoyed, he'd have taken a yellow by halfing him.

Put it this way, if it was Boyle or Carmichael doing that, we'd be loving it.

greenginger
17-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Doing it to other full time professionals , fair enough.

Taking the p*ss out of a part-timer who has just finished a shift down the mines is a poor show.

Deserves halfing next time. :greengrin

Kojock
17-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Ok. So I'm sure the debate will be the "Have some respect" camp v's the "great entertainment" brigade!
After coming on as a sub against Alloa,, and looking a decent player by the way, what's your thoughts on his flick over the full backs head trick?! Personally I don't like it. Nothing wrong with beating a man with a piece of skill but in my opinion that's taking the piss. For one, it's disrespectful, and two, he's no good enough to pull it off! As I said he looks a decent player but have some respect pal. You're playing Alloa FFS. I wish there had been time for the full back to give him a wee dig back and put him on his arse.

I would hate if a Hibs player does that to one of the Huns on Sunday, total lack of respect for a fellow pro. :wink:

Andy74
I don't buy any of this respect stuff. If someone has skill to do something with a football then that's great, let them get on with it.

S4uzee
The best bit about it was it didn't even come off, the Alloa player got his body infront of him and won a free-kick

hibbymick
17-08-2015, 11:11 AM
He wouldve been stretchered off in my day.

WeeRussell
17-08-2015, 11:18 AM
I don't buy any of this respect stuff. If someone has skill to do something with a football then that's great, let them get on with it.

Same for me - never understood anyone getting annoyed by a player skinning someone with great skill.

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2015, 11:20 AM

I don't know if I would ...... I saw Steven Fletcher pull off an outrageous trick in a derby match, but it was obviously done without malice aforethought and got him past his marker brilliantly. It sounds like this guy was showboating and as far as I'm concerned it makes him a prime candidate for a broken leg. When you are 5 - 1 up against a great team perhaps you have earned the right to show off, when its against a bunch of honest part timers on £200 a week it shows an utter lack of respect for your fellow pros.

Imagine if that defender had been Eric Schaedler or Willie Miller .... the guy would be in traction for months.

HappyHibby93
17-08-2015, 11:21 AM
If he pulled it off then fine, fair play to the lad. But he never. So for me it's just a red face for the boy. Have a vivid memory of sauzee doing it to a livi player when we beat them 3-0 in the Scottish cup semi - final. He pulled it off, and I don't think many hibees that day were annoyed about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfc rd
17-08-2015, 11:22 AM

This.

GreenCastle
17-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Nothing wrong with it - makes the game more entertaining.

Wish players were more skill full.

Next we will be saying a toe poke / bash is bad way of scoring goals ! Most under used finishing method.

Usual pre-historic football views..that don't like change.

Deansy
17-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I would hate if a Hibs player does that to one of the Huns on Sunday, total lack of respect for a fellow pro. :wink:

Eh - 'Respect' and the 'Hun's all in the same sentence :confused:

rosco-hibee
On most occasions if a player has the skills to try a trick or two then let him get on with it.

In this case, it was a The Rangers player and therefore cannnot be commended. It was disrespectful, malicious and just plain unprofessional. 3 match ban please.

bill the hibby
Didn't even come off...non story as usual, more of a let's draw attention to the huns and how good their players are kind of story, yawn

steve75
17-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Can't believe the defender complained.

He, poorly, tried a bit of skill (not a particularly hard piece of skill at that).

The defender positioned himself well and made him look an arse. He can try it as much as he wants against us.

The_Sauz
17-08-2015, 11:28 AM
I remember some old French guy :sauzee: doing that to Barry "The Crab" Ferguson at ER a few years back (think it was the 1-0 game), and as the ball came down from the flick over his head, Barry turned around and was further embarrassed when the same French guy shoved it through his legs :greengrin
Now that was HIBS CLASS :thumbsup:

WeeRussell
17-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Didn't even come off...non story as usual, more of a let's draw attention to the huns and how good their players are kind of story, yawn

I severely doubt the OP intended it that way.

Perhaps you would be happier if we discussed how good Hearts' players are?

Mikey09
17-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Nothing wrong with it - makes the game more entertaining.

Wish players were more skill full.

Next we will be saying a toe poke / bash is bad way of scoring goals ! Most under used finishing method.

Usual pre-historic football views..that don't like change.

Calm down man... It's just a debate! I actually said I like a player beating a man with a nice piece of skill. However I do think the reason for doing it varies. Some do it to instantly create a chance or score a goal. Others do it to look good as if to say I'm way better than my opponent... Showboating if you like. In this case that's what he did. I agree with you re the toe poke. Wee Romario was the master of it.

Brightside
17-08-2015, 11:38 AM

I'm all for it. More of this please.

pennyhibee
17-08-2015, 11:44 AM
I remember some old French guy :sauzee: doing that to Barry "The Crab" Ferguson at ER a few years back (think it was the 1-0 game), and as the ball came down from the flick over his head, Barry turned around and was further embarrassed when the same French guy shoved it through his legs :greengrin
Now that was HIBS CLASS :thumbsup:

That was the classiest of class:hibees

JimBHibees
17-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Absolutely brilliant to see players trying these sorts of things. It is meant to be entertainment after all.

Can remember the footage from that brilliant Leeds side of the seventies who were playing keep ball and taking the mickey against Southampton I think it was which had the inevitable shocking challenge at the end of it.

Mikey09
17-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Dunno what you are trying to imply with that statement. Did you read my post? Was just starting a debate about it. When did I draw attention to how good their players are? Maybe I should start a thread being as negative as possible about Hibs, slating players performance, questioning the managers decisions... Might keep some happy. Am outta here. :rolleyes:

bill the hibby
17-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Dunno what you are trying to imply with that statement. Did you read my post? Was just starting a debate about it. When did I draw attention to how good their players are? Maybe I should start a thread being as negative as possible about Hibs, slating players performance, questioning the managers decisions... Might keep some happy. Am outta here. :rolleyes:

Sorry don't mean your OP I mean the media drawing attention to it, not directed towards you

Smartie
17-08-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm all for it. Great to see players trying to entertain the crowd and pull off tricks when the game is well and truly won.

Even better that the guy on £200 a week made an utter tool out of him by reading it perfectly.

bill the hibby
17-08-2015, 11:54 AM
I severely doubt the OP intended it that way.

Perhaps you would be happier if we discussed how good Hearts' players are?

As ive said it was directed towards the media drawing attention to it not the OP

Future17
17-08-2015, 12:04 PM
The defender's brother plays for Hearts...does that make a difference? :greengrin

Lago
17-08-2015, 12:04 PM
What next give the part time teams a goal of a start? Respect for goodness sake its not boys football.

Baader
17-08-2015, 12:08 PM
The entertaining part was the defender won the ball and got a freekick.

heretoday
17-08-2015, 12:13 PM
How come Michael Chopra is playing for Alloa? He's only 31 and still a pretty good player. He should be playing for us.

Thecat23
17-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Remember football is about enjoying yourself and entertaining the fans if you can.

I'd love to see more folk with the ability to do these things. I don't care if you are part time/full time or under 10's. If you can rip the ***** out the opposition do if!!

As others say, I've never got this respect rubbish! It's a game plain and simple if anything there is to much respect going on. Hearts were spot on when they won 10-0. Folk saying at the time they should take the foot of the gas why??? If a team is gash tough pump them silly and teach them how to defend.

WeeRussell
17-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Remember football is about enjoying yourself and entertaining the fans if you can.

I'd love to see more folk with the ability to do these things. I don't care if you are part time/full time or under 10's. If you can rip the ***** out the opposition do if!!

As others say, I've never got this respect rubbish! It's a game plain and simple if anything there is to much respect going on. Hearts were spot on when they won 10-0. Folk saying at the time they should take the foot of the gas why??? If a team is gash tough pump them silly and teach them how to defend.

Agree with every bit of that. And re the bit in bold - I think it would be more disrespectful to 'take pity' on a team and 'take the foot off' than to hammer them by a few more goals.

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2015, 12:38 PM

Fine with me, shake his hand after the game and give him respect then. Being offended is a choice. No different to nutmegging someone in my opinion.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2015, 12:47 PM
No issue with what Oduwu did, a bit cocky but his intent was to beat the man in an inventive way.

I think there are issues when players can.be dosrespectful though, I remember a game at Ibrox a few years back where Andrei Kamchelskis stopped the ball, stood on it and saluted the crowd. That is just taking the piss imo and is a world apart from what Oduwu did.

Thecat23
17-08-2015, 12:54 PM
No issue with what Oduwu did, a bit cocky but his intent was to beat the man in an inventive way.

I think there are issues when players can.be dosrespectful though, I remember a game at Ibrox a few years back where Andrei Kamchelskis stopped the ball, stood on it and saluted the crowd. That is just taking the piss imo and is a world apart from what Oduwu did.

Sure that was at Hampden against Ayr Utd! He stood on it and raised his hand to his eyes as if the sun was in it while looking into the box for a player to cross too!

Thought it was funny to be fair!

Baader
17-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Cheating is disrespectful. Players diving or simulating contact. Showing a bit of skill and doing something different? No issue with that. It is, after all, supposed to be entertainment.

calumhibee1
17-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. If the lad is willing to try it and he pulls it off then the defender/other teams manager or whoever is complaining should be more concerned about the fact they have been made to look so foolish and look to improve to stop it happening again rather than moaning about respect.

CallumLaidlaw
17-08-2015, 01:23 PM
I didnt particularly like it. If he'd done it against us for example, and pulled it off, then fair enough. But to do it against a part time team in the last few minutes when they were clearly struggling physically, just smacks of being a bit of a billy big baws.

I bet he doesnt try it against English reserve players!

Mikey09
17-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Sorry don't mean your OP I mean the media drawing attention to it, not directed towards you

No worries. Don't read the papers, it was just my opinion. :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-08-2015, 02:18 PM
The boy seems to be quite full of himself from what I've read, if he can back it up though then fair enough.

GreenCastle
17-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Calm down man... It's just a debate! I actually said I like a player beating a man with a nice piece of skill. However I do think the reason for doing it varies. Some do it to instantly create a chance or score a goal. Others do it to look good as if to say I'm way better than my opponent... Showboating if you like. In this case that's what he did. I agree with you re the toe poke. Wee Romario was the master of it.

Wasn't having a go at you personally :aok:

I think entertainment is part of the game and who decides what is allowed and what's not - if it's within the laws of the game then lets the players entertain.

I know Neymar has done this previously and nearly caused riots in the stands / on the pitch but I personally see nothing wrong with it. It does draw attention to yourself which fellow pro's may take offence to.

Like the Romario reference :thumbsup:

frazeHFC
17-08-2015, 02:27 PM
The entertaining part was the defender won the ball and got a freekick.

Yeah, tbh I don't see the hype about a bit of skill that goes straight to the defender.

He will be a tricky customer for us no doubt however.

GreenCastle
17-08-2015, 02:30 PM
The one thing Sevco do seem to have is some decent wide players / wingers / full backs who are attack minded with speed.

I'm amazed we haven't added more speed to our team - you can see even when Boyle plays he causes teams issues.

GreenArmyyy!
17-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Sure that was at Hampden against Ayr Utd! He stood on it and raised his hand to his eyes as if the sun was in it while looking into the box for a player to cross too!

I remember it differently, Forfar away in a cup match? 0-6 Rangers I think....

Bostonhibby
17-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Nae problem with what the boy did, never actually worked out and the defender could have nailed him if he wanted to.

Maybe the guy is just trying to be the next ted McMinn.:wink:

matty_f
17-08-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm all for players doing stuff out of the ordinary. Imagine if Ronaldo or Ronaldinho or Messi were told not to bother doing tricks. Half the problem in Scotland is that natural talent and flair gets coached out of players for exactly this sort of thing.

GreenCastle
17-08-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm all for players doing stuff out of the ordinary. Imagine if Ronaldo or Ronaldinho or Messi were told not to bother doing tricks. Half the problem in Scotland is that natural talent and flair gets coached out of players for exactly this sort of thing.

:agree:

So many players pass pass pass...

They are taught this at a young age at Academies.

If you take a risk and say make a bad dribble you give the ball away you look bad then are released by clubs as they like to play it safe.

There are a lack of wingers / dribblers coming through youth academies as they are obsessed with the passing players.

Players need to be encouraged to take risks and they may loose the ball but they may also be the game changers in a close game.

CB_NO3
17-08-2015, 03:23 PM
I think he should get a 3 game ban personally.

Onceinawhile
17-08-2015, 03:28 PM
I remember it differently, Forfar away in a cup match? 0-6 Rangers I think....

Was definitely Ayr United at hampden.

SJNB Hibby
17-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Agree with every bit of that. And re the bit in bold - I think it would be more disrespectful to 'take pity' on a team and 'take the foot off' than to hammer them by a few more goals.

Agreed---remember the flack Benitez took a few years back when Liverpool were up 2-0 against Everyon, and he seemed to indicate to ease up

Galahibby
17-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Don't see a problem with it really, other than it was a pretty crap effort. If you're going to try and take the piss out of someone, at least make sure you can actually pull it off.

Eyrie
17-08-2015, 06:47 PM
No problem with him trying it, but the highlight for me wasn't the flick - it was the defender getting both the ball and the foul.

O'Rourke3
17-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Immediate reaction was it was disrespectful. I do however think its ok to try these things. Just dont complain when jobbing defenders who dont try to get on Showboat with their Tekkers continually hack and foul you.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

emerald green
17-08-2015, 07:23 PM
He wouldve been stretchered off in my day.

:agree: His card's marked now. Every clogger in this league will be waiting for him.

Sir David Gray
17-08-2015, 07:51 PM
If a player has the ability to perform some trick with a football then I'm all for it.

Just a shame he didn't have the ability to pull it off at the weekend and he made an arse of it.

weonlywon6-2
17-08-2015, 08:36 PM
He made an arse of it though so don't get all this skill thing.
I felt it was embarrassing and made him look a fool.
Very different story had it worked

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Was definitely Ayr United at hampden.

Yup, defo was. Still remember him doing it.

As for Neymar's trick in the cup game last season, the reaction from the defenders was a joke. He done them big time but it was great skill and done for a genuine reason. He beat the guy and would have been in on goal if he hadn't been hacked down and chased off the pitch. Wasn't just doing it to take the piss for no reason, there was a purpose.

SonOfDavidFrancey
17-08-2015, 11:16 PM
He made an arse of it though so don't get all this skill thing.
I felt it was embarrassing and made him look a fool.
Very different story had it worked

This. Just tracked down the highlight expecting to see some sublime
Moment. Actually saw a failed showboat.

jacomo
18-08-2015, 12:53 AM

:agree:

jacomo
18-08-2015, 12:54 AM

But deserved ridicule if it doesn't come off.

The Leith Dutch
18-08-2015, 06:35 AM
The one thing Sevco do seem to have is some decent wide players / wingers / full backs who are attack minded with speed.

I'm amazed we haven't added more speed to our team - you can see even when Boyle plays he causes teams issues.

Spot on. Boyle is the only pace we have and if Gray and Stevenson aren't at the races we have no real width.

Also find it difficult to get balance in the current squad if we play with width - really need to have wingers in pairs so it opens up an attacking 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 based on wide playing forwards. Carmichael didn't really look like he was going to hit the byline.

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Spot on. Boyle is the only pace we have and if Gray and Stevenson aren't at the races we have no real width.

Also find it difficult to get balance in the current squad if we play with width - really need to have wingers in pairs so it opens up an attacking 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 based on wide playing forwards. Carmichael didn't really look like he was going to hit the byline.

I'm presuming Carmichael is all one footed and was playing on the wrong side hence his preference to cut inside every time?

Billy Whizz
18-08-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm presuming Carmichael is all one footed and was playing on the wrong side hence his preference to cut inside every time?

He generally played right side for Queens

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Imagine a player trying to be skilful and entertain. We need to kick this out of Scottish football. Is that really what some are saying?

And as for the defender saying "do it again and I'll half you" - why didn't he just half him when he had the chance? Boys all mouth and no action. Pussy.

Speedy
18-08-2015, 07:57 AM
If he wants to do that then let him. Particularly if he can't do it properly.

Keith_M
18-08-2015, 08:10 AM

The galling thing about that was that the very same Rangers players were complaining about an opposition player 'showboating' the week before, at least that was there defence against one of their players trying to cut him in half for it.

Mikey09
18-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Imagine a player trying to be skilful and entertain. We need to kick this out of Scottish football. Is that really what some are saying?

And as for the defender saying "do it again and I'll half you" - why didn't he just half him when he had the chance? Boys all mouth and no action. Pussy.

No. The point I was making is what counts as taking a man on with a bit of skill or pace, and trying to make a tit of a part time player by showboating. Nobody mentioned cutting out skill. Like it or not it's showboating. Would he have tried it if the game was 0-0 or they were losing?! No chance cause the darling of the media Warburton would have crucified him. As I said, I like seeing skill and technique but there is defiantly things for trying in training not for games. It's taking the piss pure and simple. Opinions though eh?! :thumbsup:

Kato
18-08-2015, 10:28 AM

STV showed a clip last night but edited out the defender winning the ball.