PDA

View Full Version : Initial season optimisim gone

thebausburst
16-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Like many I was really optimistic pre-season, buoyant by end of season performances and initial team investment/(re)signings. However, the Allan saga and the season start by Hibs and Rangers respectively have all but removed that initial optimisim and now IMO we go into out next meeting with Rangers with a great deal of pressure and trepidation. Lets be honest another drubbing by them and, even this early, it would take a massive turnaround over the course of the season to end up champs. AS rightly went on about the importance of the start to the season and not only did we give them a 3 point start straight away, we're not playing anything like we were/can, its like last season on repeat!

I'm not being deliberately negative just honest about how I feel, the fact we've just lost our best player and have been left with a laddie from Celtic does not make me feel any better!

FromTheCapital
16-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Remember, we went to the Hunnery last year in 2nd bottom and we won 3-1. It only takes one game to kick start a season and if we play to our potential then we are more than capable of beating Rangers, no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
16-08-2015, 12:15 PM
It's not gone from me. I'm glad the Allan saga is over and now we have a full week to prepare for the Huns with a squad of committed players.

thebausburst
16-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Remember, we went to the Hunnery last year in 2nd bottom and we won 3-1. It only takes one game to kick start a season and if we play to our potential then we are more than capable of beating Rangers, no doubt.

Yes and I really hope you're right, but they are a different proposition this year and IMO their new recruits look a cut above anything they had last season. Its going to take a dramatic turn around in performance to get anything out of that match,

FromTheCapital
16-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Yes and I really hope you're right, but they are a different proposition this year and IMO their new recruits look a cut above anything they had last season. Its going to take a dramatic turn around in performance to get anything out of that match,

That I agree with but with the introduction of McGeouch and Keatings potentially to our starting 11 next Sunday then who knows. Football is a funny game, anything can happen.

Ronniekirk
16-08-2015, 12:27 PM
It's not gone from me. I'm glad the Allan saga is over and now we have a full week to prepare for the Huns with a squad of committed players.

Would rather the Ibrox games was another three or four weeks down the line Don't think we are ready for this one based on yesterday's performance and still trying to integrate new players .

Rangers currently 4. 1 up and movement and clinical finishing in last third is a lot better than ours at present

I can't see us winning next week ,a draw would probably be a decent result But already they look a completely different team whereas we are still talking about issues we were highlighting last Season

I think it's still early days for us ,but am leaning more to looking at finishing second unless everything starts to click into place next week and we get a win .

At present the Initiative and Momentum appears to be with Rangers and that pains me to say that .

jacomo
16-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Cheer up. It's a long season and The Rangers have just had a massive setback. They can't unsettle us with bids for SA again. Let's show what we are made of.

tamig
16-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Like many I was really optimistic pre-season, buoyant by end of season performances and initial team investment/(re)signings. However, the Allan saga and the season start by Hibs and Rangers respectively have all but removed that initial optimisim and now IMO we go into out next meeting with Rangers with a great deal of pressure and trepidation. Lets be honest another drubbing by them and, even this early, it would take a massive turnaround over the course of the season to end up champs. AS rightly went on about the importance of the start to the season and not only did we give them a 3 point start straight away, we're not playing anything like we were/can, its like last season on repeat!

I'm not being deliberately negative just honest about how I feel, the fact we've just lost our best player and have been left with a laddie from Celtic does not make me feel any better!

Your user name is very apt! ☺

Hibernia&Alba
16-08-2015, 12:38 PM
It's very early days, but the OP is correct to say we can't afford to fall behind Rangers in the table. Next week is a big game; one we must be prepared for, and one which could have a big impact going forward. A win at Ibrox would be a massive boost.

thebausburst
16-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Your user name is very apt! ☺

Only being honest, only the most optimisitc fan would not agree surely!

Scouse Hibee
16-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Rangers wll romp the league, I said when we were relegated that I could see us down for three seasons at least. I still think that will be the case.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Jeez this thread makes me wanna slit my wrists...2 games into a long season some folk need to seriously get a grip...its Rangers not Brazil from 1970

Scouse Hibee
16-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Jeez this thread makes me wanna slit my wrists...2 games into a long season some folk need to seriously get a grip...its Rangers not Brazil from 1970

Nothing to do with two games in or needing to get a grip just my opinion on how I think we will fare.

thebausburst
16-08-2015, 01:01 PM

If you fancy it Hibs are now 5/1 for the league and 5/1 for next week?

Sir David Gray
16-08-2015, 01:01 PM
We are clear underdogs next week, I don't think there's any doubt about that. However that may go in our favour as all the pressure will be on Sevco.

We have gone there before and won. If a poor team managed by Colin Calderwood can get a 3-0 victory at Ibrox then anything's possible.

The Petrofac Cup game is of little relevance to next week's game. We didn't have Carmichael, Bartley or Boyle available for that match, who are all now fit again, Malonga went off injured after 20 odd minutes and was replaced by an 18 year old who had played just one previous first team match for us and we hadn't signed McGinn or Henderson for that game either.

If Steven Thompson had scored that penalty last week, St Mirren would have got it back to 2-2 and who knows what would have happened then.

If we play like we did at Dumbarton last week then we'll get hammered next week but I'm hopeful that we can put in a big performance and get the win.

truehibernian
16-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Have The Rangers had any injuries to key players as yet ? Long long season, lots can happen in the course of over 30-40 games.

Hibs have Farid, Keatings and Forster out, Boyle and Carmichael literally just come back, McGinn not 100% match fit with no pre-season under his belt.........as well as the Scott Allan stuff in the background.

Point is we go to Ibrox in a better position that when we played them in the Petrofac - first 45 minutes we were by far the better side. And that was with a weakened side (even in that game Malonga and Forster went off).

St Mirren had a very good 60 minutes v them at Ibrox and who knows what would have happened if they had scored the pen.........have faith my Hibee chums :agree::aok:

NAE NOOKIE
16-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Our pre season was nothing short of a disaster. To have so many players injured at the same time was not something we could have foreseen and then to lose Forster just compounded the agony. The Scott Allan saga obviously hasn't helped, but I have little sympathy for any player who thinks its an excuse for a below par effort. I am mystified by our failure to arrange a tough pre season game to give our defence a real test and IMO the manager fell down on that score.

The upshot of all this is that we are weeks behind where we should be and it showed yesterday. I am convinced we will get better, but by the time we do it might be too late. Its vital to get a result next Sunday, but if I'm being honest this game is coming 3 / 4 weeks too early for us, I will be over the moon if we can scrape a draw.

Dalianwanda
16-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Only being honest, only the most optimisitc fan would not agree surely!

I would agree that your optimism has gone. Doesn't mean everyone else's has to ;-)

Greencore
16-08-2015, 01:09 PM
If hibs have taught me anything in life it's this

We play better when we are under dogs.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Honestly not getting all this doom and gloom..yes The Sevconians have started well but they had shaky moments against us in 1st half at ER and against St Midden last week. Whereas we may have stared slowly but IMO we will only get stronger. Lot of football to be played over next 34 league matches...lets just have a bit of faith guys

Lago
16-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Weve hit the road limping rather than running:greengrin

E10 Rifle
16-08-2015, 02:17 PM
It will be about putting pressure on them right across the field. If Cummings and Boyle start and harass their defenders any time they get the ball and we build form the front - then we'll take them. If we stand off them, it'll be a different story.

Waxy
16-08-2015, 02:19 PM
If hibs have taught me anything in life it's this

We play better when we are under dogs.It'll have to be a pretty big dog.

Brightside
16-08-2015, 02:19 PM

"Im not being deliberately negative"? Well its not happening by accident pal.

SanFranHibs
16-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I am trying to be optimistic because as has been pointed out we have several players not fit just yet, key players who will be necessary if we are to challenge for the title and we will soon have this SA saga firmly behind us.

My only concern is the lack of consistent playing style. Even allowing for the personnel issues we seem unable to get the ball from the back to the front in a consistent way, frequently chopping and changing formations and showing very little conviction.

I just recall the way Stubbs teams approached games at the start of his tenure and they seemed to have all bought into his 'style'. Quick, short forward passes when possible and when not possible, quick, short backward/lateral passes to open up a forward pass. All done instinctively. They just seemed to know what they were doing as a team. I do worry as I just don't see it, even in our victories which we barely grind out. I appreciate we had games were our possession did not result in goals and if I recall correctly did we not in one game (Alloa?) have 23 shots to 3 or 5 and still did not win. But now we have difficulties even getting into shooting positions.

Once he has all his players available then there can be no excuses if we are still struggling/losing to part time teams.

However, I am not giving up just yet. The club have tried incredibly hard to improve the fortunes and M.O. of the club and the next couple of months or so will prove if Stubbs has progressed the team.

Anyhow, no great insights or bold predictions from me but we need to start playing with consistency and conviction and next week would a great time to make a statement regarding our title aspirations.

:flag:

Pete
16-08-2015, 02:28 PM
I would agree that your optimism has gone. Doesn't mean everyone else's has to ;-)

Exactly. People can be as honest as they like when it comes to justifying their gloomy outlook but something is wrong when they make comments suggesting everyone should be feeling the same way. Just when the fans and club get exactly what we need in terms of a starting point for the season we get one of our own who simply has to be all "honest" and post stuff that will only serve to bring people down.

Probably the worst type of post. Worse than the ones we regularly see with 5-1 shoehorned in somewhere.

rotherhamrob
16-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Don't worry lads, your optimism will return next week when we beat that shower by 2 clear goals.
Keep 2 upfront and press as if our lives depend on it, they look quite good going forward but have still to be really tested at the back.
Let's be the ones to put them in their place and where better to do it than in their own midden

16-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Rangers are looking like they have made good signing and they have gotten rid of a lot of their duds from last season. Giving them a 3 point lead at the very start obviously was not great but its a marathon not a sprint, many twists and turns still to come.

CmoantheHibs
16-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Since Stubbs has come in we have always looked at our best when teams come at us.Its when teams sit in we struggle.The huns will come at us.They push their full backs on all the time leaving big gaps.We will hit on the break.It is a big game but bring it on.Let see how their confidence is after we pump them.

hibsbollah
16-08-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm baffled as to why I should be pessimistic:confused: weve emerged from the Allan debacle after playing an absolute blinder. McGeough coming back is fantastic news, Henderson looks quality as well.

As a club we always emerge from crisis stronger. The Mercer saga and Hands off Hibs was followed the next season by Skol Cup glory in 1992, Brown and Thomsons transfer request in 2006/7 was followed by our last major trophy in 2007. We have plenty quality in the squad again, especially in midfield.

I know now they say a pessimist is never disappointed, but it's just, well, a bit depressing after awhile. I can see us humping the Huns. Yet again:lolrangers:

Ronster117
16-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Ok, last weekend was a sore one to take getting beat of a part time team, we won yesterday albeit not as convincing as We would have wanted, time to get behind the team and go to ipox and show them we are HIBERNIAN....fear no-one and are here to spoil their season. :flag:

Real Emerald
16-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Since Stubbs has come in we have always looked at our best when teams come at us.Its when teams sit in we struggle.The huns will come at us.They push their full backs on all the time leaving big gaps.We will hit on the break.It is a big game but bring it on.Let see how their confidence is after we pump them.

I agree we performed well against Rangers and Hearts last season but struggled with teams that sit in, although last season Rangers also struggled. I can't see them throwing away too many points this season but we'll continue to drop points if we can't put teams away like yesterday, it only takes a silly free kick like last week and points can be lost.

With that in mind I think we need to stay close to Rangers to have any chance of winning the league and I feel we mustn't lose next week or it could be very difficult to get back to them for the reasons I've stated. However, I'm optimistic we can get a result next week to get our season going.

Onion
16-08-2015, 03:01 PM
We are clear underdogs next week, I don't think there's any doubt about that. However that may go in our favour as all the pressure will be on Sevco.

We have gone there before and won. If a poor team managed by Colin Calderwood can get a 3-0 victory at Ibrox then anything's possible.

The Petrofac Cup game is of little relevance to next week's game. We didn't have Carmichael, Bartley or Boyle available for that match, who are all now fit again, Malonga went off injured after 20 odd minutes and was replaced by an 18 year old who had played just one previous first team match for us and we hadn't signed McGinn or Henderson for that game either.

If Steven Thompson had scored that penalty last week, St Mirren would have got it back to 2-2 and who knows what would have happened then.

If we play like we did at Dumbarton last week then we'll get hammered next week but I'm hopeful that we can put in a big performance and get the win.

Don't think this Sevco team will see it that way. Their tails are up, full house, new manager, they'll see this as a great chance to put Hibs in their place. A 6 point lead after 3 games would be a huge advantage this early. IMO to win this league, Hibs simply MUST take a lot of points of Sevco starting with next week.

AlbertK86
16-08-2015, 03:02 PM
I am trying to be optimistic because as has been pointed out we have several players not fit just yet, key players who will be necessary if we are to challenge for the title and we will soon have this SA saga firmly behind us. My only concern is the lack of consistent playing style. Even allowing for the personnel issues we seem unable to get the ball from the back to the front in a consistent way, frequently chopping and changing formations and showing very little conviction. I just recall the way Stubbs teams approached games at the start of his tenure and they seemed to have all bought into his 'style'. Quick, short forward passes when possible and when not possible, quick, short backward/lateral passes to open up a forward pass. All done instinctively. They just seemed to know what they were doing as a team. I do worry as I just don't see it, even in our victories which we barely grind out. I appreciate we had games were our possession did not result in goals and if I recall correctly did we not in one game (Alloa?) have 23 shots to 3 or 5 and still did not win. But now we have difficulties even getting into shooting positions. Once he has all his players available then there can be no excuses if we are still struggling/losing to part time teams. However, I am not giving up just yet. The club have tried incredibly hard to improve the fortunes and M.O. of the club and the next couple of months or so will prove if Stubbs has progressed the team. Anyhow, no great insights or bold predictions from me but we need to start playing with consistency and conviction and next week would a great time to make a statement regarding our title aspirations. :flag:

Your point about shooting positions doesn't match up to Yesterday

20 shots - 11 of which were on target

Throw in the two stonewall penalties we should have had and it is the same problem as last year ...... Poor conversion rate for the amount of shots we have

If we can get Keatings and Farid fit we'll be better

Henderson and McGinn both look not only combative but creative and not afraid to shoot

Confident we will do well once we gel with a fully fit squad

Mikey09
16-08-2015, 03:04 PM
If you fancy it Hibs are now 5/1 for the league and 5/1 for next week?

What are the odds for The Famous winning the Premiership??

Sir David Gray
16-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Don't think this Sevco team will see it that way. Their tails are up, full house, new manager, they'll see this as a great chance to put Hibs in their place. A 6 point lead after 3 games would be a huge advantage this early. IMO to win this league, Hibs simply MUST take a lot of points of Sevco starting with next week.

They're under huge pressure to get promoted this season, there's no doubt about that.

A third season in the Championship would be a disaster for them. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be great for us either but they fully expect to win the league this season and they'll see us as the only real threat to that aim so they'll be desperate to win next week.

bill the hibby
16-08-2015, 03:45 PM
See Rangers fans asking bookies on Twitter for odds of them going unbeaten all season...I can't help but think they're getting a tad carried away with themselves, I wish I could put into words how much I hate them and their fans, and the over confidence that comes with it.

Betty Boop
16-08-2015, 03:55 PM
See Rangers fans asking bookies on Twitter for odds of them going unbeaten all season...I can't help but think they're getting a tad carried away with themselves, I wish I could put into words how much I hate them and their fans, and the over confidence that comes with it.

To be fair Bill, a few on here were predicting we would 'skoosh' this league . :greengrin

SquashedFrogg
16-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Rangers wll romp the league, I said when we were relegated that I could see us down for three seasons at least. I still think that will be the case.

This for me.

Been saying for a while that we need to have realistic expectations. Like you Scouse, my mindset was that we were down for 2 seasons at least. The yams were preparing for the championship for 6/8 months so were always looking to get a flyer. Many come across as almost expecting us to get promoted this season as a given. The Rangers were always going to be a stronger proposition this season. They were dreadful last year and could only improve.

For me the important thing this season is to stay focused and continue building from last year. That covers everything that is happening at the club.

Yes, I want us to push on an challenge for promotion this season but I really fear about the reaction of many if this doesn't happen this season.

Cool heads and a realistic approach is required for me.

Turkish Green
16-08-2015, 04:11 PM
The Sevco of this season are not the Sevco of last season under fat Sally. They will drop points over the campaign but likely not enough for them to miss out on winning the league.

what worries me more is the fall in numbers at ER. Less than 9000 there yesterday for what I thought would be a decent game to watch.

Keith_M
16-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Am I allowed to say that I don't feel as optimistic as I did at the beginning of July?

The ongoing saga of Scot Allan has deflated me just a bit but, TBH, it's the results and performances so far that has removed a lot of that optimism.

I realise we've now got new players that have come in that could potentially make a difference, but I think I'll hold fire on deciding we're a genuine challenge for Rangers until I see us actually battering teams into submission every week, as they have done so far.

greenlex
16-08-2015, 04:12 PM
I spoke/posted about the nightmare scenario as far back as pre Christmas last year when it became clear Hearts were going to win the league. I knew If neither Rangers or Hibs got promoted then this season was going to be a huge ask to gain automatic promotion. Rangers were always going to strengthen but what I'm even more surprised is they appear to have it together so quickly.
I think we need to manage our expectations and just see his close we can get to winning this Championship. 2nd and promotion via the play offs is acceptable to me. Champions would be fantastic but I'm far from deflated. I expected it.

brog
16-08-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm always at a loss to understand why a Hibs fan would start a thread like this unless he feels that by sharing his misery he dilutes his misery. Last season we were long odds 3rd favs for the league, we finished 2nd. This season we're long odds 2nd favs for the league, anything better than 2nd is really a bonus. The objective is promotion, it really doesn't matter how we get there.

Waxy
16-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Reckon we all feel that we're going to be second best this season.Only Alan Stubbs and the players can change that by going on a good winning run starting next weekend.

Keith_M
16-08-2015, 04:20 PM
I'm always at a loss to understand why a Hibs fan would start a thread like this unless he feels that by sharing his misery he dilutes his misery. Last season we were long odds 3rd favs for the league, we finished 2nd. This season we're long odds 2nd favs for the league, anything better than 2nd is really a bonus. The objective is promotion, it really doesn't matter how we get there.

Letting off steam?

:dunno:

TBF, the message board is for people commenting and giving their opinion on Hibs and football in general and that's all he's done.

Surely people shouldn't be restricted to posting only positivity?

Soldiersteve
16-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Don't worry lads, your optimism will return next week when we beat that shower by 2 clear goals.
Keep 2 upfront and press as if our lives depend on it, they look quite good going forward but have still to be really tested at the back.
Let's be the ones to put them in their place and where better to do it than in their own midden
I agree with this 100%. The only way to play against Der Hun is simple: Attack! Attack!, Attack!
Drop the doom and gloom and let's start helping ourselves to victory!
:flag:

lord bunberry
16-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Reckon we all feel that we're going to be second best this season.Only Alan Stubbs and the players can change that by going on a good winning run starting next weekend.

I don't feel we're going to be 2nd best. If we win next week I think the majority will agree with me.

ahibby
16-08-2015, 05:13 PM

I agree The Rangers will romp the league. We should finish second though even if at the moment that looks like a tough nut to crack. It's the Championship team's sides turn to win the play offs this season so Hibs will go up as runners up, this time.

Pete
16-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Letting off steam?

:dunno:

TBF, the message board is for people commenting and giving their opinion on Hibs and football in general and that's all he's done.

Surely people shouldn't be restricted to posting only positivity?

They shouldn't but if people feel that posts are unnecessarily negative or that the timing stinks then they will rightly be challenged.

"Letting off steam" in a fashion that will probably have a negative impact on others is something a child does. That is unless the negative impact is your intention.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't feel we're going to be 2nd best. If we win next week I think the majority will agree with me.

Cant believe the Rangers love in on here today...its vomit inducing tbh. Yes they have improved from last season, we always knew they would...but if St Midden hadnt blew the pen last week, they would have blown a 2 goal lead!!
Today they looked decent BUT a pretty horrific defensive display from Alloa. If we can give a composed, in your face type of performace next week...im confident we can go there and get a positive result. They will attack us which plays right into our hands

Onion
16-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Wow, that didn't take much. Fact is, despite not playing well, we're only 3 points behind the Huns, still in the League Cup, got lots of decent players still to return, and fund to strengthen further.

IMO, we need the fans and players to hang in there, tough it out and see where we stand after Xmas.

FranckSuzy
16-08-2015, 05:45 PM
"Im not being deliberately negative"? Well its not happening by accident pal.

:tee hee:

oneone73
16-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Cant believe the Rangers love in on here today...its vomit inducing tbh. Yes they have improved from last season, we always knew they would...but if St Midden hadnt blew the pen last week, they would have blown a 2 goal lead!!
Today they looked decent BUT a pretty horrific defensive display from Alloa. If we can give a composed, in your face type of performace next week...im confident we can go there and get a positive result. They will attack us which plays right into our hands
This.

SquashedFrogg
16-08-2015, 06:09 PM

No sevco love in as far as I've seen? Just a reflective and realistic thread about our season so far and what people think about the season ahead?
I'll double check but I'm almost certain that's what fans forums are for?

ancient hibee
16-08-2015, 06:26 PM
The Sevco of this season are not the Sevco of last season under fat Sally. They will drop points over the campaign but likely not enough for them to miss out on winning the league.

what worries me more is the fall in numbers at ER. Less than 9000 there yesterday for what I thought would be a decent game to watch.

Second highest attendance in Scotland in fact.

Nutmegged
16-08-2015, 06:55 PM

I thought it could be three myself but felt we could get up second season best case scenario, with the yams and deidco in this League we were always gonna struggle, last year was an opportunity due to how dire Sevco were and we totally fluffed it in the Play-Off's

Hibernia&Alba
16-08-2015, 07:05 PM
I really don't want to think about a possible third season in the Championship when we're only two games into the second. I just want to get out of this division.

essexhibee
16-08-2015, 07:08 PM
We will beat them at Ibrox. :aok:

emerald green
16-08-2015, 07:46 PM
I've no idea who will win the Championship because it's far too early to say. Wait until the first round of fixtures is over. If any team has built up a decent points lead by then that team will probably win it unless the wheels come off for some reason.

The other factor which will have a bearing on the outcome is the number of injuries any particular club suffers. This can make or break a season.

That said, it's looking a bit ominous as The Rangers seem to have "upped their game" from last season. They are better, stronger, look fitter and better organised than they were under McCoist & McDowall. That has been achieved in a comparatively short period of time.

So, weighing things up, as far as next weeks game specifically is concerned, Hibs will have to be much better at Ibrox than their overall performances so far against Dumbarton & Morton if they are to avoid defeat IMO. Especially at the back, they must avoid conceding needless fouls around the box.

Final point is this. Will Hibs get a fair, consistent, and impartial set of officials with 45,000 screaming for everything for the Huns. I would say it's naive to think the officials are never influenced by that.

I'm not saying Hibs cannot win, but the odds are stacked against them.

Andy74
16-08-2015, 07:52 PM
We've got enough good players to get it together. We are certainly short of being prepared though with all the injuries. Who knows what our best team or formation is? Rangers look decent but they are also pretty short of numbers. All depends how they do with injuries.

I don't think we have that assuredness just now to go to Ibrox and boss them but who knows what Hibs team turns up just now?

B.H.F.C
16-08-2015, 07:59 PM
We've got enough good players to get it together. We are certainly short of being prepared though with all the injuries. Who knows what our best team or formation is? Rangers look decent but they are also pretty short of numbers. All depends how they do with injuries.

I don't think we have that assuredness just now to go to Ibrox and boss them but who knows what Hibs team turns up just now?

I agree with most of that. In terms of our best team, I don't think Stubbs would know that at the moment. I also agree that Rangers are only a couple of players being injured away from being a lot weaker.

We can improve a lot. We need to be more aggressive though, with and without the ball. We need to stop waiting on things happening. If we do that next week, we will just end up being pinned back.

Ringothedog
16-08-2015, 10:08 PM
What are the odds for The Famous winning the Premiership??

As if he would know ( ;

Ringothedog
16-08-2015, 10:13 PM

Please stop posting crap, the attendance yesterday was decent. What are you expecting for a championship game. There were 8500 hibs fans at the game. Stop trying to be an attention seeking negative poster.

Forza Fred
16-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Would rather the Ibrox games was another three or four weeks down the line Don't think we are ready for this one based on yesterday's performance and still trying to integrate new players .

Rangers currently 4. 1 up and movement and clinical finishing in last third is a lot better than ours at present

I can't see us winning next week ,a draw would probably be a decent result But already they look a completely different team whereas we are still talking about issues we were highlighting last Season

I think it's still early days for us ,but am leaning more to looking at finishing second unless everything starts to click into place next week and we get a win .

At present the Initiative and Momentum appears to be with Rangers and that pains me to say that .

I believe this is an accurate submission of our likely fortunes.

Whether we want to admit or not this season's Rangers outfit were always going to be a harder nut to crack than last season's.

They have regrouped much better than we have.

The mob across the city are the ones we accuse of being delude at times about their chances....most people posting here are simply being reasonable...doesn't mean they are negative Nellies.....personally I'd love to be able to post much more positive stuff ALL the time...but the team need to give me the raw materials to work with!

Mikey09
16-08-2015, 11:18 PM
As if he would know ( ;

:greengrin :yw:

Nutmegged
17-08-2015, 12:45 AM
Please stop posting crap, the attendance yesterday was decent. What are you expecting for a championship game. There were 8500 hibs fans at the game. Stop trying to be an attention seeking negative poster.

I don't really know what some people expect on pur gates, Hibs have about 8000 hardcore fanbase who will go most weeks at Easter Road, after that it fluctuates depending on how we're doing, a good Championship team could get 10-11k and a good Premiership Hibs team could get 12-14k with the yaks games hitting sell outs or near sell outs if we're doing well.

Just under 9000 is a decent figure for where we are, Its where we are thats the problem not the fans

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2015, 05:49 AM

Whether we want to admit or not this season's Rangers outfit were always going to be a harder nut to crack than last season's.

The mob across the city are the ones we accuse of being delude at times about their chances....most people posting here are simply being reasonable...doesn't mean they are negative Nellies.....personally I'd love to be able to post much more positive stuff ALL the time...but the team need to give me the raw materials to work with!

1000000000% spot on, and what i find more galling is how some folk are now telling me that i should be more positive, when they couldn't be positive when we actually did have some league success?

As you say Fred, the team need to give me a reason to be positive, i dont need to be told how to feel and act, because when the team does well and punches its weight or better, i'm as positive as any Hibs fan.

In fact, i'm more positive than some.

Gatecrasher
17-08-2015, 05:53 AM
Anyone who didn't see a good rangers team coming after last season were kidding themselves on and are now having to deal with reality. Even if they are 'skint' by rangers standards they have a much higher budget than us, playing good football and scoring for fun. This hasn't killed my early season optimism though as I think our team will get better, I saw enough on Saturday to know we won't miss Scott Allan and we will finish 2nd minimum. We have some depth in the squad and the players we have brought in look an improvement on last season.

The competition for 2 won't be as hard as St mirren look dire and we will pull away from the rest, its all about staying as close to rangers as possible and being there and taking advantage when they slip up.

DH1875
17-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Yip, beat rangers at the weekend and the optimisim will soon flood back on here.
Even if we don't win the league, what's all this 3 years talk. Finish 2nd and win the playoff, simple as that.

Smartie
17-08-2015, 08:33 AM
It's a traditional happy clappers vs doom and bloomers debate really.

Irrespective of which side you're on, even at this stage you must acknowledge there have been loads of mitigating factors.

2 games into the season and we've had to weather the "Scott Allan saga" - which I defy anyone to say wasn't totally destabilising - as well as a pretty brutal injury crisis which deprived us of almost all of our badly needed new players. Take 5 players out of the The Rangers team and see where they would be then.

So far we've lost at Dumbarton which I accept was an awful result (but not that much worse than the 0-0 Hearts got there last season whilst they were "doing a Hearts") and squeezed past Morton in a game that we dominated. A mixed bag, but nothing to extinguish early season optimism. Early season can throw up some odd results (Stranraer at home anyone) and it's much easier to come back from a dodgy August result than a May one.

Personally I saw Saturday as "glass half full" kind of day. We're not there yet but there were plenty of signs of encouragement.

Neck on block - I wouldn't swap our fully fit squad for that of Rangers'.

I think we'll come good.

bill the hibby
17-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Having to hear the hearts and Rangers supporters pish chat at work...how there's a chance the yams might win the league and how Rangers will have it wrapped up early doors...😴

Keith_M
17-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Having to hear the hearts and Rangers supporters pish chat at work...how there's a chance the yams might win the league and how Rangers will have it wrapped up early doors...

Just smile and make yourself a coffee, content in the knowledge that you've heard it all before.

"We are unbeatable", etc.

brog
17-08-2015, 09:31 AM

Freddie, as usual I agree with you :wink: but there's a big difference between being realistic about our chances & being unduly negative & pessimistic! IMO you're the former & the OP is the latter, in fact the OP is so pessimistic he doesn't know how to spell optimism!! :wink:

bill the hibby
17-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Just smile and make yourself a coffee, content in the knowledge that you've heard it all before.

"We are unbeatable", etc.

He amount of delusion from both sets of supporters is unbelievable, I think they fail to realise that the season finishes in May next year, not next week.

JimBHibees
17-08-2015, 09:35 AM
He amount of delusion from both sets of supporters is unbelievable, I think they fail to realise that the season finishes in May next year, not next week.

Anyone that genuinely thinks Hearts have a chance of winning the league needs some counselling.

bill the hibby
17-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Anyone that genuinely thinks Hearts have a chance of winning the league needs some counselling.

Honestly heard them saying 'hearts were 66/1 at the start of the season to win the league...I should've took it'

Chibs
17-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Think a straitjacket would be more appropriate.

pennyhibee
17-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Of course it would be great to win the league and go straight up but do you not think we are capable of beating the 11th placed team in the Premier to achieve this because if we cant what chances have we of doing well in that league I want us to go up but I want us to stay up there

Keith_M
17-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Of course it would be great to win the league and go straight up but do you not think we are capable of beating the 11th placed team in the Premier to achieve this because if we cant what chances have we of doing well in that league I want us to go up but I want us to stay up there

I'd much rather win the league and not have to go through a nerve racking extra 4/6 games.

Smartie
17-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I'd much rather win the league and not have to go through a nerve racking extra 4/6 games.

That would obviously be ideal.

For all the playoffs would be nerve-shredding I don't think they should be feared.

Last year's playoffs are quite unusual - The Rangers were guff and were very fortunate to stumble as far through as they did (our obvious shortcomings costing us dear in the end) and I don't think there will be any sides as good as last year's Motherwell who will drop into the playoffs this year. We're more likely to face a team like Butcher's Hibs team who I'd be confident that we'd wipe the floor with.

We do need to inject a bit more urgency to our play but we're not a million miles away from being a decent side.