PDA

View Full Version : Team vs Sevco

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Will be a very tough game, but hopefully we can get something from it! Rangers will be constantly attacking so therefor we may to defend and sit deep more than we'd like.

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
Henderson
Boyle

Cummings

truehibernian
15-08-2015, 09:56 PM
No McGeouch :cb:greengrin

Brightside
15-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Will be a very tough game, but hopefully we can get something from it! Rangers will be constantly attacking so therefor we may to defend and sit deep more than we'd like.

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
Henderson
Boyle

Cummings

Danny replaced with Dylan.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Danny replaced with Dylan.

You expecting him to sign this week likes? If so when?

DH1875
15-08-2015, 10:15 PM
You expecting him to sign this week likes? If so when?

That's what I'd like to know.

Big_Franck
15-08-2015, 10:22 PM

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
Henderson
Boyle

Cummings

I'd go with the same team. I'm confident we'll not get beat with that side.

Andy74
15-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
Henderson
Boyle

Cummings

McGinn will play I'd think.

S4uzee
15-08-2015, 10:33 PM
I would like to go 3-5-2 with Boyle up top but we don't have enough fit CBs to do this

TheFamous1875
15-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Must starts for next week:

Boyle (terrifying pace that will show up their shaky defence)
Cummings (right place @ right time)
Bartley (physical battle)
Henderson (physical battle and skill and goal threat)

Other than that, back four is stays the same as we don't have other options just now
In midfield, it's a toss between Fyvie/McGinn and possibly McGeouch (in Stubbs we trust)
Dominique starts up front I reckon; I imagine him being flanked by both Boyle and Cummings doing the running while he holds the ball up for them to make runs. I think this is our best option against them.

Team for next week:

Oxley.

Gray. Hanlon. Fontaine. Stevenson.

FF/JMc/DMc. Bartley. Henderson.

Cummings. Malonga. Boyle.

truehibernian
15-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I'd switch Boyle and play him left to assist Lewis and also give Tavernier grief - I don't think he could live with Martin's pace.

Malonga on the bench for me too - this game needs players who press - he doesn't.

TheFamous1875
15-08-2015, 10:57 PM
I'd switch Boyle and play him left to assist Lewis and also give Tavernier grief - I don't think he could live with Martin's pace.

Malonga on the bench for me too - this game needs players who press - he doesn't.

Can Carmichael press? I'd pick him over Malonga if he's a grafter (wasn't there today but have read he wasn't that clever). I'd also prefer Cummings in the middle being fed by wingers, rather than cutting in from the wing. Put Carmichael on the right wing as an orthodox winger, and Boyle on the left cutting in.

tamig
15-08-2015, 10:58 PM

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
Henderson
Boyle

Cummings

Wheres McGinn?

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley ... in front of the back 4

Boyle
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

Malonga / Cummings .... not sure which

hctroubador
15-08-2015, 11:56 PM
I would like to go 3-5-2 with Boyle up top but we don't have enough fit CBs to do this

But is there enough quality at CB of a three?

Bronson
16-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley

McGinn
Fyvie
Boyle

Cummings
Malonga

I'd play to hit them on the counter. 1 up top doesn't work, we've seen it fail too many times (including the first half against Morton earlier). I've noticed that Rangers push both full backs very high up the pitch at the same time and it leaves them very exposed if teams can counter quickly. I've thrown Boyle into the midfield purely due to his raw pace, could be a secret weapon in exploiting them on the counter but Henderson impressed me today so he might be worth a start. Bartley is a must for this game, sitting in front of that back 4 and sweeping up, vital when we could find ourselves under the cosh at times.

Pretty confident that this team is capable of beating Rangers, they're not the great shakes they think they are and I'd love to see us bring them right back down to earth.

JimBHibees
16-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

Think it will be along these lines. Only change may be if we sign a defender in the meantime.

Lee Marvin
16-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

This will almost certainly be the team.

GreenOnions
16-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

I also agree with this team. It was good to see Cummings responding well to losing his starting place yesterday. However, I would still havehim on the bench at Greyskull as Malonga has the ability to hold the ball up to allow the likes of Boyle, Henderson and McGinn to come into play. Jason to come on with 20 to go and score the winner again :-)

The Leith Dutch
16-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Wheres McGinn?

Based on yesterday he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Had some dubious moments especially first half but you could see he looked a quality player imo.

And while it was only a cameo yesterday I think Henderson definitely starts.

Like the fact they're big guys as well.
Not saying you can't play if you're short but I think we have suffered from overly small players for a while.

ancient hibee
16-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Unless we increase the intensity and strength in the midfield by about 50% compared to yesterday we'll get slaughtered.

AlbertK86
16-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Whatever team we play we will need to do something to counter their full backs

Tavernier ripped us down our left last game and Wallace looks back to his best compared to beginning of last season

Might be tempted to put Boyle or Henderson out left mid to try and keep tavernier at bay....

4-5-1

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeoch - hopefully - if not Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Henderson

Boyle

Subs

Reguero
New Ch - hopefully
Dunsmore
Stanton
Carmichael
Cummings
Malonga

Unseen work
16-08-2015, 10:45 AM
I think we will sign a new centre half by the game and go
3-5-2

............................,,Oxley

..........New centre back....Hanlon....Fontaine

Gray.................Bartley...................... .stevenson
...................fyvie.......................... ,,mginn

......................Boyle..................Cummi ngs..........

Wonder if mginn would feel comfortable playing left wing back instead of Stevenson, or Boyle there instead so we could get Liam Henderson in.

Smartie
16-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Unless we increase the intensity and strength in the midfield by about 50% compared to yesterday we'll get slaughtered.

It is a totally different game to yesterday though and will require a very different approach.

We did well last year against Rangers and Hearts, we did ok against the lower teams but struggled most against the streetwise middle teams packing defences and hitting us on the break.

We don't need to dominate possession and create lots of chances at Ibrox. We need to graft, close players down, restrict their chances and hit them on the break at pace (more like Morton were trying to do to us yesterday).

Games like these will be the ones where Bartley really shows his worth, Oxley will need to dominate his area and deal with all high balls so they don't get any belief that they'll pick up cheap goals (to be fair to him he did this well last season in all games against them).

The centre-halves need to be switched on for 90 minutes and not make any of the idiotic mistakes we made against them in the Petrofac cup game.

We'll need to soak up a bit of pressure but still carry a threat on the break. Boyle's pace will be key.

I don't think we can read too much from the last couple of games though.

This is different. I'm quite confident that we have enough options in our squad to do well in this game but tbh if you offered me a point right now I'd bite your hand off.

FromTheCapital
16-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine

Boyle
Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch/Bartley
Henderson

Keatings/Farid (pray)
Cummings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Horde
16-08-2015, 12:35 PM
I'll be very surprised if we pick up anything against Rangers.

However, here's my team.

Oxley

New defender(Watson?) Hanlon Fontaine

Gray Henderson Bartley Mcginn Stevenson

Malonga

Boyle

J-C
16-08-2015, 12:42 PM
4-5-1

Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Henderson
Bartley
McGeouch
McGinn

Cummings

Sir David Gray
16-08-2015, 01:44 PM
I'll be very surprised if we pick up anything against Rangers.

However, here's my team.

Oxley

New defender(Watson?) Hanlon Fontaine

Gray Henderson Bartley Mcginn Stevenson

Malonga

Boyle

Stubbs confirmed last week that Keith Watson had moved on as he was injured during pre-season so he was unable to take part in any of the friendlies. He then went to train at Aberdeen but I don't think anything's come of that either.

We certainly do need a couple of defenders to come in though.

1van Sprou7e
16-08-2015, 01:57 PM
------------------------------the ox
----------------------gray---hanlon---fontaine
boyle--mcginn/mcgeouch--bartley--fyvie--stevenson
---------------------cummings---malonga

GreenLake
16-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Whatever team we play we will need to do something to counter their full backs

Tavernier ripped us down our left last game and Wallace looks back to his best compared to beginning of last season

Might be tempted to put Boyle or Henderson out left mid to try and keep tavernier at bay....

4-5-1

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeoch - hopefully - if not Carmichael
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Henderson

Boyle

Subs

Reguero
New Ch - hopefully
Dunsmore
Stanton
Carmichael
Cummings
Malonga

Tavernier looked good again today as did Warthog.

It's odd that Wigan play us in La Manga then the huns sign two of their players. Do we have double agents among our scouts?

ancient hibee
16-08-2015, 06:19 PM
It is a totally different game to yesterday though and will require a very different approach.

We did well last year against Rangers and Hearts, we did ok against the lower teams but struggled most against the streetwise middle teams packing defences and hitting us on the break.

We don't need to dominate possession and create lots of chances at Ibrox. We need to graft, close players down, restrict their chances and hit them on the break at pace (more like Morton were trying to do to us yesterday).

Games like these will be the ones where Bartley really shows his worth, Oxley will need to dominate his area and deal with all high balls so they don't get any belief that they'll pick up cheap goals (to be fair to him he did this well last season in all games against them).

The centre-halves need to be switched on for 90 minutes and not make any of the idiotic mistakes we made against them in the Petrofac cup game.

We'll need to soak up a bit of pressure but still carry a threat on the break. Boyle's pace will be key.

I don't think we can read too much from the last couple of games though.

This is different. I'm quite confident that we have enough options in our squad to do well in this game but tbh if you offered me a point right now I'd bite your hand off.

If we stand off like we did against Morton we'd be as well not going.

southern hibby
16-08-2015, 06:53 PM
We need to DOMINATE the midfield and by that I mean challenge them before they find any space. If our full backs get enough cover from midfield when they attack we will stop them from down the wings.
I would like to see us keeping 2 or 3 players forward when they get a corner, this would mean that need to keep 3 back to defend our 2 or even 4 back to defend our three. I know this is highly unconventional however we leek goals from cross balls and this would really have them stretched rather than allowing them to dictate the game.
Remember they are going to expect to hammer us especially after the fiasco at ER, but if we keep it tight and we can get in their faces and our players every so often say to their players Mate what are you doing at this ****ty little team even a diehard blue nose would rather join Celtic than play beside you lossers it might just rile them enough to do something rash.
Anyway irrespective of the score I'll be there supporting the Hibs knowing with the biggest smirk that they never got one of their own to join them after all the huffing and puffing they did to get him.

GGTTH

thebakerboy
16-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Think we need to take a defensive start to this match and given that we only have 2 centre backs we have a problem at the back. So my starting line up will be as follows if McGeouch signs.

Oxley
Gray Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson

Fyvie Bartley

McGeouch/Boyle Henderson McGinn

Malonga.

If we sign a Centre back I think we will line up in a 5 1 3 1 set up

Oxley

Gray NewCB Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson

Bartley

Henderson Fyvie McGinn

Malonga

I prefer Malonga to Cummings because I thought he did well yesterday and is able to hold the ball up better.
IMHO our biggest problem is that we develop the play at a very slow pace and in general need to up the pace a bit.

GreenCastle
17-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Lack of options means the back 5 picks itself (assuming Gray's injury was just cramp on Saturday).

Midfield and going forward we are starting to see more of a challenge for places.

Henderson
McGinn
Fyvie
Boyle (must play - speed)
McGeouch
Bartley

Pretty strong 5 - though do we need Bartley and do we play 4 or 5 in midfield?

Up top - Malonga and Cummings both different - I think we play better with them together - playing 1 up top would allow the Sevco full backs to push on more.

I didn't watch the Alloa game - assume Sevco still playing 4-3-3 ?

I don't think we are good enough to defend effectively so would be inclined to attack them - 4-1-3-2 and with SPEED!

J-C
17-08-2015, 07:16 PM
4-5-1 inverted xmas tree

Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Fyvie

McGinn
Henderson

Boyle
Carmichael

Cummings.

Fyvie holding, McGinn/Henderson as the engine in the middle, with Boyle and Carmichael out wide to keep the fullbacks busy, Cummings has more energy than Malonga for this system

Gray and Stevenson need to be disciplined and keep their shape and not get caught up field, we need to keep our shape and hit them on the counter, like we did in the win there last season when we played 3 at the back.

Heisenberg
17-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Oxley

Bartley
Fontaine
Hanlon

Gray
Fyvie
McGinn
Henderson
Stevenson

Cummings
Boyle

Since90+2
18-08-2015, 05:32 AM
If we play with a back 3 we will get hammered.

Rangers threat is from their attacking wingbacks so we need a flat back 4 with the two wide midfield players doubling up and helping the fullbacks.

rcarter1
18-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Tavernier looked good again today as did Warthog.

It's odd that Wigan play us in La Manga then the huns sign two of their players. Do we have double agents among our scouts?

Scott Allan?

Brightside
18-08-2015, 06:37 AM
If we play with a back 3 we will get hammered.

Rangers threat is from their attacking wingbacks so we need a flat back 4 with the two wide midfield players doubling up and helping the fullbacks.
Disagree. A flat 4 allows opposing wing backs to dominate. We MUST go 5 across the middle and ensure we are pressing up to stop their wingbacks attacking. Do that and we win the game.

The Leith Dutch
18-08-2015, 06:46 AM
4-5-1 inverted xmas tree

Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Fyvie

McGinn
Henderson

Boyle
Carmichael

Cummings.

Fyvie holding, McGinn/Henderson as the engine in the middle, with Boyle and Carmichael out wide to keep the fullbacks busy, Cummings has more energy than Malonga for this system

Gray and Stevenson need to be disciplined and keep their shape and not get caught up field, we need to keep our shape and hit them on the counter, like we did in the win there last season when we played 3 at the back.

I reckon this is pretty much bang on for what we should do.
I'd also have Fyvie doing the holding role. Bartley is very ponderous from what I've seen and doesn't seem to have the discipline of win ball / short pass / resume position.

My biggest concern with that team right now - and granted it's very early days with the guy - is Dan Carmichael.
He didn't really look like a wide player to me.

Brightside
18-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Disagree. A flat 4 allows opposing wing backs to dominate. We MUST go 5 across the middle and ensure we are pressing up to stop their wingbacks attacking. Do that and we win the game.

Ox

Bartley-------Hanlon---------Fontaine

---------------Fyvie

--Mcgeough Henderson McGinn Boyle

--------------Carmichael.

--------------Cummings

Carmichael will support behind Cummings but drops in when we defend, and we end up with 6 across the park.

S4uzee
18-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Ox

Bartley-------Hanlon---------Fontaine

---------------Fyvie

--Mcgeough Henderson McGinn Boyle

--------------Carmichael.

--------------Cummings

Carmichael will support behind Cummings but drops in when we defend, and we end up with 6 across the park.

No Gray?

Brightside
18-08-2015, 08:39 AM
No Gray?

No traditional full backs in there at all.... :wink:

J-C
18-08-2015, 08:43 AM

Rangers front three will give a back three loads of problems, it worked for us last year because they played two up top and were very ponderous, we need to stop Tavernier and Wallace from charging down the wings, so wide midefielders plus fullbacks are a must and hit them on the counter.

I reckon this is pretty much bang on for what we should do.
I'd also have Fyvie doing the holding role. Bartley is very ponderous from what I've seen and doesn't seem to have the discipline of win ball / short pass / resume position.

My biggest concern with that team right now - and granted it's very early days with the guy - is Dan Carmichael.
He didn't really look like a wide player to me.

Carmichael came to us as a wide attacking midfielder, who can also play through the middle, whoever we use we need cover out wide to stop their threat. Stubbs problem at the end of last season was he thought our diamond would beat most teams but didn't see that McCall was a good manager who sussed it out, he needs to be tactically more aware, it's his only downfall.

Smartie
18-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Rangers front three will give a back three loads of problems, it worked for us last year because they played two up top and were very ponderous, we need to stop Tavernier and Wallace from charging down the wings, so wide midefielders plus fullbacks are a must and hit them on the counter.

Carmichael came to us as a wide attacking midfielder, who can also play through the middle, whoever we use we need cover out wide to stop their threat. Stubbs problem at the end of last season was he thought our diamond would beat most teams but didn't see that McCall was a good manager who sussed it out, he needs to be tactically more aware, it's his only downfall.

I agree that this has been a big fault of his in the past.

But he changed the game on Saturday with his substitutions and formation change which was very refreshing to see.

He's also had a good look at Rangers already this season when we played them in the Petrofac Cup.

This is only his second year as a manager and I think he's already getting better tactically.

I'd be astonished if we go with the diamond again - that would be suicide.

I think we've got plenty of other options that could see us get something from this match.

CorrieHibs
18-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie (if Dylan isn't signed)
Bartley
McGinn
Henderson

Malonga

JimBHibees
18-08-2015, 03:26 PM
I agree that this has been a big fault of his in the past.

But he changed the game on Saturday with his substitutions and formation change which was very refreshing to see.

He's also had a good look at Rangers already this season when we played them in the Petrofac Cup.

This is only his second year as a manager and I think he's already getting better tactically.

I'd be astonished if we go with the diamond again - that would be suicide.

I think we've got plenty of other options that could see us get something from this match.

A big fault really? I would say he has been pretty tactically astute and can get his team to play a number of systems well.

Most of the games we lost last season had little to do with tactics more about conceding poor goals in games we dominated.

MyJo
18-08-2015, 09:00 PM
_________________Oxley

Gray_____Fontaine_____Hanlon_____Stevenson

________________Bartley
________Fyvie____________McGinn
Boyle____________________________Henderson
_______________Cummings

Wheat Hound
18-08-2015, 11:15 PM
_________________Oxley

Gray_____Fontaine_____Hanlon_____Stevenson

________________Bartley
________Fyvie____________McGinn
Boyle____________________________Henderson
_______________Cummings

That looks good to me

J-C
18-08-2015, 11:48 PM
A big fault really? I would say he has been pretty tactically astute and can get his team to play a number of systems well.

Most of the games we lost last season had little to do with tactics more about conceding poor goals in games we dominated.

Sticking with the diamond when Rangers came to ER at the end of the season (22nd March ) was tactically naive, Wallace ran rampage that day and we lost 0-2.

JimBHibees
19-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Sticking with the diamond when Rangers came to ER at the end of the season (22nd March ) was tactically naive, Wallace ran rampage that day and we lost 0-2.

Was it? Maybe we should have defended a bit better.

J-C
19-08-2015, 10:55 AM

It was nothing to do with bad defending, McCall set his team up to negate our shape, Gray and Stevenson were pushed right back and we had zero out ball and width, hence the middle of the park where all our playmaking came from was stifled. Stubbs just assumed what worked in the other wins over Rangers would work again, he said in his pre match interview that he wasn't worried about Rangers, it was up to Rangers to worry about us and stop us and that they did, he got cocky and over confident because of the run we'd been on.

JimBHibees
19-08-2015, 10:58 AM
It was nothing to do with bad defending, McCall set his team up to negate our shape, Gray and Stevenson were pushed right back and we had zero out ball and width, hence the middle of the park where all our playmaking came from was stifled. Stubbs just assumed what worked in the other wins over Rangers would work again, he said in his pre match interview that he wasn't worried about Rangers, it was up to Rangers to worry about us and stop us and that they did, he got cocky and over confident because of the run we'd been on.

Nothing to do with the players? There wasnt a huge amount in that game and Rangers first goal was about their only chance and was going wide until deflected in. We were coming back into it until Collum scored the second finishing it off.

Smartie
19-08-2015, 10:59 AM

I thought he was tactically outdone by McCall in their encounters last season. That "2-0" game at Easter Road was crying out for a tactical change at half-time and Stubbs couldn't/wouldn't/didn't see it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Stubbs is tactically inept, far from it. He's mad some brilliant tactical moves at times - discovering the diamond in the first place, putting together a handy-looking 3-5-2, ditched the 4-5-1 from early last season when it became apparent we didn't have the personnel to use it.

Given his relative inexperience I think he's pretty good tactically and he doesn't seem to make the mistakes too often so he's learning.

But there have most certainly been occasions when he's been outdone.

And I'd say that his inability to find a way to break down ultra-defensive sides has probably been his biggest failing so far, so I was delighted to see him reshuffle things to get the goal and the win on Saturday.

J-C
19-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Nothing to do with the players? There wasnt a huge amount in that game and Rangers first goal was about their only chance and was going wide until deflected in. We were coming back into it until Collum scored the second finishing it off.

Must've watched a different game then, I saw a Rangers team set up with more purpose, who stopped our two marauding wingbacks from getting out of their own half, Rangers came to get a draw and got lucky with the win, we expected to thump Rangers again and the management and players were over confident, he didn't change things in the 2nd half when it was obvious that we should've matched them with the 3-5-2, a system we've used and were confident in.

Iain G
19-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I'd be tempted to play Sammy and let him run at them again, he scored a very good goal in the Petrofac cup and they didn't like someone running directly at that defence, maybe play him outwide and cutting back in?. We need to get width into midfield and full back positions to double up on their fullbacks, would go for a 4-4-1-1 I think...though getting Henderson in there woudl be a good plan as he played from that wide midfield position when he came on.

Oxley

Boyle Fyvie Bartley McGinn Stanton/Henderson

Cummings

ahibby
19-08-2015, 11:20 AM
I thought he was tactically outdone by McCall in their encounters last season. That "2-0" game at Easter Road was crying out for a tactical change at half-time and Stubbs couldn't/wouldn't/didn't see it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Stubbs is tactically inept, far from it. He's mad some brilliant tactical moves at times - discovering the diamond in the first place, putting together a handy-looking 3-5-2, ditched the 4-5-1 from early last season when it became apparent we didn't have the personnel to use it.

Given his relative inexperience I think he's pretty good tactically and he doesn't seem to make the mistakes too often so he's learning.

But there have most certainly been occasions when he's been outdone.

And I'd say that his inability to find a way to break down ultra-defensive sides has probably been his biggest failing so far, so I was delighted to see him reshuffle things to get the goal and the win on Saturday.

I agree with much of what you say except I am not so sure that he can make changes to turn a game around. Maybe there are one or two examples of when he has but I can't think of many when we have came from behind to win due to changes he has made during a game.

I suspect that his reason for playing Malonga for much of the game last Sat. up front on his own, was his way of giving his planned starting eleven and setup real game time before coming up against The Rangers this week. I think that's how he plans to play against Rangers. Having given that setup sixty minutes last Sat. he then introduced Cummings to give us two up front and that paid off. Could he have brought Cummings on earlier or played two up front from the start? Perhaps he was concerned about our apparent/obvious defensive frailties and decided on caution. When you look at the break away Morton had to go one on one with our keeper in the first half you think well maybe he was right to play only one up front against Morton, to start with. I suspect he will go with Malonga up front on his own on Sunday. If it's 0-0 in to the second half (which I very much doubt), then he'll introduce a second forward as he did last weekend because we can assume the longer the game goes on without them scoring the more chances they will take at the back. I believe he only has one plan for Sunday no matter what the score is by half time. We will see if I'm right.

Smartie
19-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I agree with much of what you say except I am not so sure that he can make changes to turn a game around. Maybe there are one or two examples of when he has but I can't think of many when we have came from behind to win due to changes he has made during a game.

I suspect that his reason for playing Malonga for much of the game last Sat. up front on his own, was his way of giving his planned starting eleven and setup real game time before coming up against The Rangers this week. I think that's how he plans to play against Rangers. Having given that setup sixty minutes last Sat. he then introduced Cummings to give us two up front and that paid off. Could he have brought Cummings on earlier or played two up front from the start? Perhaps he was concerned about our apparent/obvious defensive frailties and decided on caution. When you look at the break away Morton had to go one on one with our keeper in the first half you think well maybe he was right to play only one up front against Morton, to start with. I suspect he will go with Malonga up front on his own on Sunday. If it's 0-0 in to the second half (which I very much doubt), then he'll introduce a second forward as he did last weekend because we can assume the longer the game goes on without them scoring the more chances they will take at the back. I believe he only has one plan for Sunday no matter what the score is by half time. We will see if I'm right.

Fair points.

I thought he did well on Saturday - his change brought and immediate difference and the goal. I think it was the goal rather than his change that changed the rest of the match (Morton had to come out a bit more then) but credit where it's due. Henderson and Stanton also put in positive performances off the bench.

In his defence, he hasn't always had a multitude of options off the bench. It was good to see the quality that we had in reserve on Saturday. At the start of last season you were still looking for Heffernan, Handling and a totally out-of-sorts Harris to come on and change games and that just wasn't going to happen (and yes, I accept that he may have done better with the subs available during games like the semi-final).

At Dumbarton we still had a lot of players coming back from injury and a real dearth of attacking options having started with Cummings and Malonga so I think again his hands were tied a bit there.

KeithTheHibby
19-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Stop the full backs and we stop them playing. Simple.

Franck Stanton
19-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Stop the full backs and we stop them playing. Simple.

Simple to say, not so simple to do. :wink:

Hibeesmad
21-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeough
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

Cummings

TheReg!
21-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeough
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

Cummings

100% mate 👍🏻

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Boyle

Cummings

Think we could do with Boyles pace and Bartley's height and strength. I'm not a fan one the one up top although I think we will go with that.

spudhib
21-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Oxley
Bartley
Henderson Fyvie McGeouch McGinn
Boyle

AlbertK86
21-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Oxley Gray Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson Bartley Henderson Fyvie McGeouch McGinn Boyle

Yep like that team

trev the hat
21-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeough
McGinn
Fyvie
Henderson

Cummings

The first 4 in that midfield are too similar for me with not enough authority in the physical sense. Talented for sure but maybe more steel required to get 3 points.

overdrive
21-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Oxley

Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson

Bartley

Boyle, McGeouch, McGinn, Henderson

Cummings

J-C
22-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeouch
Bartley/Fyvie
Fyvie/Henderson
McGinn

Cummings

McGinn is a natural left footer and can play on the wide left if needed.

hibbymick
22-08-2015, 06:43 AM
we need to make sure were up to speed on our left side of defence. Ive watched rangers recently and they seem to be making a point of splitting the defence open down that side.

lucky
22-08-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure DM will come straight into the team. I think it will be
Ox
Gray Hanlon Fountain Stevenson
Bartley Fyvie
Boyle Henderson McGinn
Malonga

AlbertK86
22-08-2015, 07:11 AM
we need to make sure were up to speed on our left side of defence. Ive watched rangers recently and they seem to be making a point of splitting the defence open down that side.

I'd play 5 across the middleware Henderson out left to try and keep Tavernier at bay. McGinnis tucked just inside to support him

One things for sure Lewis and big fonts need to remain really focussed and switched on for the whole game

If we can close them down high up the park I think we will stop them getting any rhythm

Ggtth

Zazu62
22-08-2015, 09:38 AM
What worries me is the referee, if there's 45,000 Huns screaming at him every 5 minutes he will end up giving them a penalty or something 😒

JimBHibees
22-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure DM will come straight into the team. I think it will be
Ox
Gray Hanlon Fountain Stevenson
Bartley Fyvie
Boyle Henderson McGinn
Malonga

Agree with that team apart from Liam Fontaine in for Fountain :greengrin

Really need the defence to be at it tomorrow.

Tha Cabbage Kid
22-08-2015, 10:18 AM
I think Boyle should come off from the bench an do a Ivan intro and score 3

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Tha Cabbage Kid
22-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Mcgeough and Carmichael on the wing with Henderson no. 10 position And Cummings in the middle

J-C
22-08-2015, 10:33 AM
We need to make sure our fullbacks play as that, no bombing forward willy nilly and leaving gaps, discipline is the key. Push forward by all means but not recklessly, 5 in across the middle and hit Rangers on the break, with the wide men pushing Rangers WB's back.

Leighonel
22-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Mcgeough and Carmichael on the wing with Henderson no. 10 position And Cummings in the middle

Did Dylan not play wide last year? I think as a wingback. He tended to drift inside too much. I think he should play more centrally.

J-C
22-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Did Dylan not play wide last year? I think as a wingback. He tended to drift inside too much. I think he should play more centrally.

He did in the cup semi, was bloody frustrating watching him cutting in instead of staying wide, I'm not one for square pegs in round holes, it's never worked for us in the past, play to our strengths.

Leighonel
22-08-2015, 11:00 AM
He did in the cup semi, was bloody frustrating watching him cutting in instead of staying wide, I'm not one for square pegs in round holes, it's never worked for us in the past, play to our strengths.

Exactly, especially when we have other players who are more suitable to play out there.

I'd go:

The Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie
McGeouch
McGinn
Carmichael

Cummings

silverhibee
22-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Oxley

Gray
Fontainne
Bartley
Hanlon

Boyle
Fyvie
Henderson
McGinn
Carmichael

Malonga

Alex Trager
22-08-2015, 11:18 AM
What worries me is we now have an abundance of players for the cm role.

And they are all very similar, as far as I can see, in terms of their game.

We need width. It is so clear to me.

McGinn is a welcome addition however as he takes a chance now and then and hits a shot.

Hopefully exactly what we need.

IanM
22-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Oxley plays well we win
There, I've said it

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Oxley
Bartley
Henderson Fyvie McGeouch McGinn
Boyle
No Cummings? I will be shocked if he doesn't start. I don't know what he has to do to convince some people.

spudhib
22-08-2015, 11:47 AM
No Cummings? I will be shocked if he doesn't start. I don't know what he has to do to convince some people.

Big fan of JC just feel Boyles pace is a must to occupy their defence though he will need McGinn and Mcgeoch to go beyond also.

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Big fan of JC just feel Boyles pace is a must to occupy their defence though he will need McGinn and Mcgeoch to go beyond also.
Pace is all well and good but Boyle is hardly prolific.

thebakerboy
22-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Well I am in the minority but I don't see what Boyle brings to the team and I thought that Carmichael looked like a lost boy last week , also think we will start with 1 up and that is not playing to Jasons strength so my team to start is

Oxley

Fyvie Bartley

Mcgeouch Henderson McGinn

Malonga

500miles
22-08-2015, 07:11 PM
....................Oxley
........Hanlon..........Fontaine
Gray............Bartley.........Stevenson
.....Boyle.........Fyvie...........McGinn
.............Malonga.Cummings

trev the hat
22-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Henderson
McGeouch
McGinn

Cummings
Malonga

rosshfc95
22-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Oxley plays well we win
There, I've said it

Problem is he rarely plays well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Godsahibby
22-08-2015, 08:05 PM
I cant see Mcgeough starting the game, he must be weeks behind everyone else fitness wise he cant of played in many games.

Lago
22-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Cummings scores goals, he has to play.

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Cummings scores goals, he has to play.
:agree: He should be the first name on the team sheet

NorthNorfolkHFC
22-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Henderson
McGeouch
McGinn

Cummings
Malonga

Yeah, this team.

Looking forward to seeing another left back as well in the coming weeks.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Lago
22-08-2015, 09:01 PM
:agree: He should be the first name on the team sheet
Correct:top marks

Northernhibee
22-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Oxley

Bartley
Fyvie McGinn
Henderson

Cummings Malonga

B.H.F.C
22-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Oxley

Bartley
Fyvie McGinn
Henderson

Cummings Malonga

The way their full backs are playing it would be absolute suicide to go with a diamond in midfield.

Northernhibee
22-08-2015, 09:19 PM
The way their full backs are playing it would be absolute suicide to go with a diamond in midfield.

I fear being closed down in the middle of midfield with their fitness. I have to be honest. Maybe a 4-5-1.

matty_f
22-08-2015, 10:04 PM
We need Boyle to start, his pace is crucial to stopping their full backs bombing forward.

I'd be very tempted to play Cummings up front on his own and have Henderson and Boyle either side of a middle three of Bartley, Fyvie and McGeouch or McGinn.

Back four picks itself due to a lack of options, and Oxley deserves to keep his place after a good showing last week.

lord bunberry
22-08-2015, 10:31 PM
We need Boyle to start, his pace is crucial to stopping their full backs bombing forward.

I'd be very tempted to play Cummings up front on his own and have Henderson and Boyle either side of a middle three of Bartley, Fyvie and McGeouch or McGinn.

Back four picks itself due to a lack of options, and Oxley deserves to keep his place after a good showing last week.
I'd be tempted to play Boyle instead of Gray, his best games were at right back last season. Or even play them both with Gray on the right side of a back 3

matty_f
22-08-2015, 10:34 PM
I'd be tempted to play Boyle instead of Gray, his best games were at right back last season. Or even play them both with Gray on the right side of a back 3

That could be a good shout.