PDA

View Full Version : The 140th birthday party?

Pretty Boy
15-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but the club made mention during the week today would be a celebration of 140 years of Hibs and the 25th anniversary of Hibs. What happened?

I was in the ground at 2.20ish and apart from a 30 second interview with Mickey Weir at half time and the announcer guy mentioning it about 15 times in every sentence I didn't notice anything different from any other match day. Did I miss something?

hibee_girl
15-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Was thinking the same at the game.

Was expecting a piper to be there today as they've been practicing all bloody week, well it was either someone at Hibs or one of my neighbours :greengrin

Peevemor
15-08-2015, 08:21 PM
It was the world pipe band championship today, hence the practicing I imagine.

thebakerboy
15-08-2015, 08:25 PM
The £5 for a programme , and the guy in front of me got the last Hands Off Hibs Badge , was a bit much so no programme for me today.Don't really care that it was a special large edition , think club could have left it at normal price or maybe a £1 more.

hibee_girl
15-08-2015, 08:26 PM
It was the world pipe band championship today, hence the practicing I imagine.

Ah, it maybe was one of my neighbours then :greengrin

SaulGoodman
15-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Seen some guy having a go at some poor wee lassie selling programmes like it was her fault they were £5

That was about it tbh.

sbell1875
16-08-2015, 12:01 AM
The £5 for a programme , and the guy in front of me got the last Hands Off Hibs Badge , was a bit much so no programme for me today.Don't really care that it was a special large edition , think club could have left it at normal price or maybe a £1 more.

The programme didn't merit the £5 charge. First one I'd bought in a long, long time and I won't be buying one again anytime soon.

Overall, I think the celebrations were a bit of a letdown which is a real shame.

CL0762
16-08-2015, 12:30 AM
The programme had the 'Hands off Hibs' on the back and a two page spread near the end that was it.

Quite rubbish tbh.

SteveHFC
16-08-2015, 12:52 AM
Happy 140th Birthday Hibs.

**** the Hearts. :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

GreenLake
16-08-2015, 05:14 AM
140 years is a short time in a geological time scale. I wonder how Hibs will be after 1400 years. Perhaps Easter Road will pop up out of the ground to variable tier levels up to 140,000 seats depending on League, Cup or Champions league games. Everyone will be dropped at the game by an Uber air drone and they will serve sushi and cocktails at half time. Premium season ticket holders will have tall seats on the side of the pitch and have access to a lounge up the player tunnel for food and drinks before the game, at half time and after the final whistle. The Scottish newspapers will be digital only, but full of impartial and intelligent articles. Referees will be carefully selected from far of lands and monitored by a panel of the most respected ex-players and continually evaluated for performance and lack of bias.

marinello59
16-08-2015, 05:27 AM
I'd take any reason to celebrate all things Hibs but there has to be a buy in from all parties to make an event special. Apart from a banner displayed by the singers were there any chants at all from the crowd to mark the occasion? For some fans 140 years is a strange one to be making an extra fuss about. 100, 150 etc makes more sense to some with 140 being no more significant than 139 or 141. Perhaps. :greengrin

Steve-O
16-08-2015, 05:44 AM
There's a retro jersey 'on sale' in the online shop, but it says 'no stock' in every size! Typical Hibs!

alnewhaven
16-08-2015, 05:45 AM
140 years is a short time in a geological time scale. I wonder how Hibs will be after 1400 years. Perhaps Easter Road will pop up out of the ground to variable tier levels up to 140,000 seats depending on League, Cup or Champions league games. Everyone will be dropped at the game by an Uber air drone and they will serve sushi and cocktails at half time. Premium season ticket holders will have tall seats on the side of the pitch and have access to a lounge up the player tunnel for food and drinks before the game, at half time and after the final whistle. The Scottish newspapers will be digital only, but full of impartial and intelligent articles. Referees will be carefully selected from far of lands and monitored by a panel of the most respected ex-players and continually evaluated for performance and lack of bias.

That was credible until you said impartial and intelligent articles in the media! Am sure they will still be skewed towards Sevco 3412

E10 Rifle
16-08-2015, 10:31 AM
They should definitely try to get the Skol Cup winning team back together at the least. We need to say thanks to a few of them for bringing us back to life - particularly Murdo, who probably left on a sour note thanks to Miller, but was absolutely outstanding for us at that time.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2015, 10:33 AM
They should definitely try to get the Skol Cup winning team back together at the least. We need to say thanks to a few of them for bringing us back to life - particularly Murdo, who probably left on a sour note thanks to Miller, but was absolutely outstanding for us at that time.

Would be a great idea.

Having Budgie interviewed at HT should put thousands on the gate just for the comedy value.

E10 Rifle
16-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Would be a great idea.

Having Budgie interviewed at HT should put thousands on the gate just for the comedy value.

Budgie versus our Tannoy system - awesome :greengrin

Mr White
16-08-2015, 10:37 AM
:agree: I'd love to see budgie back, absolute legend.

Gatecrasher
16-08-2015, 10:38 AM
There's a retro jersey 'on sale' in the online shop, but it says 'no stock' in every size! Typical Hibs!
Did hibs not tweet yesterday that they sold out and are getting more in next week?

E10 Rifle
16-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Would be an idea to get a celebratory dinner together with each table hosted by a member of the squad. Looks like Budgies table would need to be a big one, with the cloths probably wipeable and plastic cutlery. Messy :party:

GreenLake
16-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I was at a party in Hollywood held for the new team in LA called LAFC which has not yet formed. Magic Johnson is one of about 20 owners and the new team will start playing in 2018 in a $250m South Central LA purpose built stadium.

It is interesting to witness the birth of a soccer club and makes me wonder what it was like for the huns a few seasons ago.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2015, 10:54 AM
I was at a party in Hollywood held for the new team in LA called LAFC which has not yet formed. Magic Johnson is one of about 20 owners and the new team will start playing in 2018 in a $250m South Central LA purpose built stadium.

It is interesting to witness the birth of a soccer club and makes me wonder what it was like for the huns a few seasons ago.

Are they the replacement 'franchise' for Chivas USA?

GreenLake
16-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Are they the replacement 'franchise' for Chivas USA?

That is a very good question and a potential point of conflict. The new owner has said he wants nothing to do with Chivas USA. It's an MLS franchise for Los Angeles and the owner of Chivas FC (Mexico) has nothing to do with it.

I imagine there will still be plenty of Chivas USA fans without a vehicle to vent their former rivalry with the LA Galaxy who might want to support this new club.

Thus, 140 years later, soccer clubs still form in the midst of social and cultural issues.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-08-2015, 11:14 AM
For some fans 140 years is a strange one to be making an extra fuss about. 100, 150 etc makes more sense to some with 140 being no more significant than 139 or 141. Perhaps. :greengrin

Thats how I see it.

Argylehibby
16-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Did hibs not tweet yesterday that they sold out and are getting more in next week?

The club were not expecting this to be as popular as it was with people queuing to get in when the shop opened. I spoke to the shop manager yesterday and there will be a delivery next week, I think it's the rest of the initial order, plus there has been another order placed for more still.

Robinho08
16-08-2015, 08:39 PM

I went down to the shop two hours before the game and got the last medium. Only S and XL left.