PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings v Morton

KWJ
15-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Scrappy game but pretty open and not lacking in chances, as said in the match thread it was lacking in urgency.

I watched the game from midway through the first half so can't comment on before that.

Oxley - 9 - Didn't have a great deal to do but looked composed and was very useful in possession, starting moves quickly. Great block from one on one.

Stevenson - 7 - Started the move to Hanlon knocking over with a wonder ball to gray. Usual engine up and down the left to mixed results.

Hanlon - 6 - Not overly troubled, got the foot in when required and probably should've scored.
Fontaine - 6 - Much like Hanlon, maybe too many long balls.
Gray - 7 - Bombed on down the right and got the assist for Cummings.

Bartley - 6 - Very strong, won the ball back a few times but just didn't seem to be what we needed today.

Fyvie - 7 - Looked very tidy, don't recall seeing him give it away and involved in most of our good play. Would be 8 but as the game was lacking in fluidity he could've probably done more to control it.

McGinn - 7 - Much like Fyvie above, difference was that he took a few shots at goal one of which pulled a good save.

Carmichael - 5 - Done some really good things but was very much his mistake that required Oxley to keep us at 0-0. Gave the ball away a fair bit too but because he was trying to make things happen. Still optimistic about him.

Boyle - 6 - Lively, hungry and exciting. Gave the ball away a bit too but had a good game, just suffered a bit form the whole team not quite clicking together.

Malonga - 5 - I like King Dom but he wasn't quite involved enough where he needs to be, not sure that was all his fault though. Suffered from lack of team cohesion.

Cummings - 9 - Great from the instant he came on, well taken and timed goal and the best link up play I've seen him have.

Henderson - 7 - Could be a huge influence on our season. Hope we don't go long to him too often.

Stanton - 7 - Not on long, didn't do anything wrong and had a decent shot right at the end.

Overall the team played well individually but not as a unit, we need to up the intensity.

fishybeaver
15-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Scrappy game but pretty open and not lacking in chances, as said in the match thread it was lacking in urgency.

I watched the game from midway through the first half so can't comment on before that.

Oxley - 9 - Didn't have a great deal to do but looked composed and was very useful in possession, starting moves quickly. Great block from one on one.

Stevenson - 7 - Started the move to Hanlon knocking over with a wonder ball to gray. Usual engine up and down the left to mixed results.

Hanlon - 6 - Not overly troubled, got the foot in when required and probably should've scored.

Bartley - 6 - Very strong, won the ball back a few times but just didn't seem to be what we needed today.

Fyvie - 7 - Looked very tidy, don't recall seeing him give it away and involved in most of our good play. Would be 8 but as the game was lacking in fluidity he could've probably done more to control it.

McGinn - 7 - Much like Fyvie above, difference was that he took a few shots at goal one of which pulled a good save.

Carmichael - 5 - Done some really good things but was very much his mistake that required Oxley to keep us at 0-0. Gave the ball away a fair bit too but because he was trying to make things happen. Still optimistic about him.

Boyle - 6 - Lively, hungry and exciting. Gave the ball away a bit too but had a good game, just suffered a bit form the whole team not quite clicking together.

Malonga - 5 - I like King Dom but he wasn't quite involved enough where he needs to be, not sure that was all his fault though. Suffered from lack of team cohesion.

Cummings - 9 - Great from the instant he came on, well taken and timed goal and the best link up play I've seen him have.

Henderson - 7 - Could be a huge influence on our season. Hope we don't go long to him too often.

Stanton - 7 - Not on long, didn't do anything wrong and had a decent shot right at the end.

Overall the team played well individually but not as a unit, we need to up the intensity.

Thought Carmichael looked poor, Boyle done ok and should have had a penalty, Hanlon wasn't at his best either, but a wins a win

LaMotta
15-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Thought Carmichael looked poor, Boyle done ok and should have had a penalty, Hanlon wasn't at his best either, but a wins a win

Oxley best Hibs player.....no idea how Fyvie got MOM..

hibee_girl
15-08-2015, 05:31 PM
A 9 for Oxley?! He was good granted but nothing spectacular, he just finally did the basics well!

Thecat23
15-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Oxley done very well today. That's the performance we need every single week not one in 6 or 7. So this should give him confidence.

Unseen work
15-08-2015, 05:37 PM
I thought oxley doesn't save shots?

Good to see him getting praise by some, some will as usual say it was standard and he merits a 5.

If you give negative comments you've got to be prepared to give the positive ones too.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Oxley played well today. I thought he was a wee bit fortunate with the save from the cut back early as he just palmed it back into danger although it was instinctive so that's harsh. The 1 on 1 save was superb and if he plays like that every week the criticisms will die down quickly enough.

Iain G
15-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Carmichael was lively, got on the ball and got rightly fruatrated when his team decided to stand like statues, we reqlly need to move around more when not in possession and give players options for the pass. He was worth more than a five, there is a footballer in there

15-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Boyle was my MOTM, used his pace well and was a handful for them to deal with.

Cummings gave us a spark up front and obviously won us the game.

Liam Henderson looks a good player, very pleased with him. Great first impression.

Hanlon for me is not the answer. To many errors every week. Fontaine would be a much better player if he was partnered with someone stronger and more trustworthy IMO.

Fyvie had a bit of an off day for me, to many heavy first touches and bad passes that gave away the ball.

McGinn looks a decent player but same as Fyvie, lost the ball too often through bad passes.

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Ox - Very solid, 2 good saves first half.

Grey - Poor start but grew well into the game, great cross for the goal.

Hanlon - Easy day for both center halfs really, still leave me a bit worried when we're only 1 up but that is the whole team not just the defense.

Fontaine - See Hanlon

Lewis - Nothing of note really, needs to work on his crossing.

Fyvie - Done well, at the heart of everything we positive, great ball to Grey for the goal.

Bartley - Solid enough but not really needed in home games IMO, very defensive.

McGinn - Impressed, very one footed though.

Boyle - Quick, gets stuck in, teams are scared of him. Will be important this season especially in away games.

Dom - Not really his day, should have scored at least 1. Don't think he is very good up front on his own.

Carmichael - didn't really do anything, not sure how fit he is.

Subs

Henderson - Very good, more to come hopefully.

Sam - N/A

Cummings - Brilliant, great goal could have had more looks very sharp.

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2015, 06:01 PM
i thought PH was poor today and gave away another needless foul in the first half just outside the box, boyle had a good game, carmichael ok, great move for the goal from fyvie/gray/muffin man, some nice touches from Mcginn(sp) very few seagulls today as well

15-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Didn't think over all it was a GREAT performance, against teams like Morton we really should be winning comfortably but at the end of the day 3 points is 3 points and we so desperately needed them.

lucky
15-08-2015, 06:07 PM

Some very high marks there. It was an average performance where no one should have got more than a 7. Mcginn was our best player. Oxley was never a 9 made 1 save which was fairly standard blocking one

Brightside
15-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Haha right what this time?? Cmon point out the hanlon failures today?

green day
15-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Oxley was never a 9 made 1 save which was fairly standard blocking one

Made two v good saves in the first half, IIRC

MyJo
15-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Oxley - 7 - done basics well and kept us in the game with couple of good saves

Stevenson - 6 - solid performance, nothing spectacular but contributed well.

Hanlon - 6 - wasn't really troubled during the match and coped well with what was thrown at him.

Fontaine - 6 - a few reckless tackles but other than that a tidy performance and coped well with Mortons attacks

Gray - 7.5 - brilliant ball for Cummings goal and was a threat bombing down the wing.

Carmichael - 6 - clearly short of match sharpness but very promising debut from the lad.

Fyvie - 8.5 - deserved Motm. Was all over the park and bossing things in midfield

McGinn - 7 - isn't afraid to have a dig from range and played some excellent passes.

Bartley - 6 - some really good defensive work but lost possession a few times and the game seemed to pass him by a bit at times

Boyle - 7.5 - endless energy and constantly chasing down balls, great play should have been rewarded with a goal and a penalty today.

Malonga - 5 - I try really hard to like malonga but he did nothing of value that I seen today, a better striker could have had us 3 or 4 up in this game.

Cummings - 7.5 - changed the game, the boy is class and done brilliantly well today with the Time he was given.

Henderson - 6.5 - really really like the look of this guy, big, strong and fast. great awareness and some excellent play from him today. Great bit of business to get him for the season.

Stanton - 5 - little time to make an impact when he got on. Helped is close out the game.

Fergus52
15-08-2015, 06:25 PM
A 9 for Oxley?! He was good granted but nothing spectacular, he just finally did the basics well!

Made a couple of great saves at 0-0, his reflexes were top class today.

E10 Rifle
15-08-2015, 06:29 PM
It was a decent performance today but not much else. Plenty of possession and pretty comfortable but we would often give it away in the final third, particularly in the first half. We looked a bit vulnerable on the break from corners or set-pieces as we keep Carmichael back while the CH's push up, and better teams might punish us from that. I thought Fyvie, McGinn and Gray were our best players - but only a bit better, nothing outstanding. Malonga on his own up front doesn't work for me, he gives himself an awfully hard-time when he misses chances and seems to get really down and then drift out of games. If we're going to use Boyle and Carmichael I'd like to see them hit the by-line more often - particularly the latter. I think Henderson looks like a good piece of business after his 15-20 mins and that McGeoch could fit in nicely just ahead of Fyvie, McGinn and him - so I hope that piece of business gets done. We could do with our other strikers being fit, but hats off to Cummings.

For Morton, I thought they were well organised but couldn't see a goal coming for them unless we stuffed up. And how that wasn't penalty I will never know. Ref has no excuses, he was right there with a clear view and had it been given, and then converted then we might have seen a different, slightly more positive performance. Cest la vie - it's 3 points.

Centre Hawf
15-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Oxley (7) - Had not a lot to do but what he did he done well. Great 1v1 stop mid first half to keep it 0-0.

Gray (6) - Got up and down the park, deliveries were mixed and he was beaten too easy a few times but was okay.
Hanlon (7) - Thought he and Fontaine looked a lot better today, a lot more assured and less stupid fouls given away around the penalty box like previous weeks.
Fontaine (7) - See Hanlon
Stevenson (7) - Didn't seem to have as much issues as Gray but his deliveries were sometimes questionable.

Fyvie (6) - Thought he gave the ball away a lot, like that he never shys though but we really need him to just up his level that little bit more.
McGinn (8) - His range of passing is really nice, like how he looked up for runs in behind quite often. Nice to mix it up.
Bartley (6) - made a few good tackles and broke the play up at times but to be honest I don't feel he's the man to start these types of games where we need to be taking the games to teams, will do well at Ibrox though when under pressure.

Carmichael (5) - Not the greatest of debuts but his fitness has to be taken into account. Good to see him finally.
Boyle (7) - Thought he pressed really well and in the first 15/20 minutes was our best player, faded out a little bit but his pace and closing down was always useful, welcome back.
Malonga (5) - Drops a bit too deep to try and link midfield and attack and by doing so leaves the area he needs to be empty. I like him but he was a tad anonymous in a strikers sense, however he showed all the usual nice touches and link up with some players, needs to play with someone around him I feel.

Cummings (8) - Thought he changed the game when he came on, gave us a real threat going forward and like Malonga seemed to link up well with other players but this time remained in the attack. Great response from being dropped, that can't be said enough.
Henderson (6) - Showed some nice touches and looked a fair size. Would like to maybe see him start at home in these games over Bartley if the onus is on us to attack and get 3 points.
Stanton (5) - Not a lot of time, didn't get involved too much and I think the one time he did he may have given the ball away.

fishybeaver
15-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Haha right what this time?? Cmon point out the hanlon failures today?

His disruption was quite poor and he gave away a few stupid fouls, point is we all know he can do better, I do rate him as being decent and reliable, I just felt today he was not at his best.

Golden Bear
15-08-2015, 06:41 PM

:agree:

That's about spot on

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Very little pass marks.

We have to get out this league and the way we played today doesn't inspire confidence.

McGinn and Henderson stood out.

Boyle and his pace is incredibly valuable to us and we can't afford him to be injured.

Really disappointed in Fyvie as he was unwilling to go forward and didn't look hungry. The whole defence was poor and shaky. Malonga was ok, Cummings wanted it when he came on.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

KWJ
15-08-2015, 06:48 PM

It wasn't just that he did well keeping a clean sheet, he started our plays in the manner we needed with good, quick throws to players in space, Carmichael in particular.

Golden Bear
15-08-2015, 06:51 PM
It wasn't just that he did well keeping a clean sheet, he started our plays in the manner we needed with good, quick throws to players in space, Carmichael in particular.

The Net statisticians will be scratching their nappers after today's display. He made 3 point blank saves in the first half - not bad for a guy who supposedly NEVER saves a thing.

:stirrer:

Fogzie
15-08-2015, 07:15 PM
The Net statisticians will be scratching their nappers after today's display. He made 3 point blank saves in the first half - not bad for a guy who supposedly NEVER saves a thing.

:stirrer:
That part of his game was fine. But he is so slow in getting the ball back into play. I know we were winning the game but we should be pressing for more goals against these teams rather than hang in for 1-0.

E10 Rifle
15-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Oxley best Hibs player.....no idea how Fyvie got MOM..

There's no exact science to it - MOM was chosen by my mate on his stag :cheers:

Hiber-nation
15-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Really disappointed in Fyvie as he was unwilling to go forward and didn't look hungry.

Apart from the fantastic piece of play that created the winner? He wasn't man of the match but was miles better than last week.

I was happy enough with most of that today considering we had 2 lads one their first start after injury and Boyle coming back but Malonga offered absolutely nothing and I can find no excuse for him.

David Gray was rotten in the first half and I was getting a bit worried abut him but thankfully he came storming back to his best in the 2nd.

snedzuk
15-08-2015, 07:59 PM
That part of his game was fine. But he is so slow in getting the ball back into play. I know we were winning the game but we should be pressing for more goals against these teams rather than hang in for 1-0.

Frustrating he takes so long at bye kicks but I reckon he's been instructed to do that. His distribution today in the first half from hand was quick and brilliant - made a lot better passes from hand today than others managed with their feet.!

Jonnyboy
15-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Very little pass marks.

We have to get out this league and the way we played today doesn't inspire confidence.

McGinn and Henderson stood out.

Boyle and his pace is incredibly valuable to us and we can't afford him to be injured.

Really disappointed in Fyvie as he was unwilling to go forward and didn't look hungry. The whole defence was poor and shaky. Malonga was ok, Cummings wanted it when he came on.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Agree withy this. As an aside, I was delighted to see him getting stuck into the challenge on a few occasions. Not a hint of him worrying he might get hurt

overdrive
15-08-2015, 09:10 PM
The guy behind me had some sort of weird man crush on Carmichael and thought he was great but thought that McGinn was horrendous until the last 5 mins. I'm not sure if he was watching the same game as me.

Cummings changed the game. Oxley was decent for once although I'm annoyed he's gone back to time wasting like he did for much of last season. We've missed Boyle.

Higgy115
15-08-2015, 09:40 PM
First game of the season for me. Firstly Morton were no great shakes and when playing similar teams, I would hope an early goal would allow more freedom in our play and hopefully a few comfortable victories.

I reckon huge abundance of midfield talent there, Carmichael without doubt knows what to do when in possession more movement and dark I say more bodies ahead will really suit him and McGinn who both can see a pass and I reckon hit a ball when on. Bartley will be more useful against better teams in what he does and Fyvie also will be more effective when under pressure. Only 20 odd minutes but reckon Henderson looks the part, was told by Celtc supporting mates that top class, genuinely think he could the man to win us promotion.

Know little about Keatings but may be most suited playing in front of what we have.

LaMotta
15-08-2015, 11:12 PM
There's no exact science to it - MOM was chosen by my mate on his stag :cheers:

Haha! That science being your mate drank too much!!!!

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Oxley ..... 7 ...... couple of great saves and his distribution was good.

Gray .... 6 ..... grew into the game, but seems a wee bit off his usual form.

Fontaine .... 6 ..... got into a fankle at one point, but was steady enough.

Hanlon ... 6 .... run of the mill game for him.

Stevenson .... 6 .... under little pressure, but he needs to look for a target when he crosses.

Fyvie .... 7 .... did his best to run the game.

Boyle .... 7 .... worked hard and made some good runs.

McGinn .... 7 ..... I liked the look of him, a bit short with some of his long passes, but dug in and not afraid to shoot.

Bartley ... 6 .... very defensive minded, but looks strong and reasonably quick ... gonna be useful at places like Ibrox

Carmichael .... 6 .... got onto the ball quite a bit, but didn't really take anybody on and get into the box .. probably a wee bit short of fitness though.

Malonga .... 6 ..... I thought he did ok, but thought he could have done better in front of goal.

Subs:

Henderson .... 7 .... If that 20 minutes is a sign of whats to come .... yippee !

Cummings .... 7 .... Looked well up for it and made a real difference ... great reaction to being left out.

Stanton .... 4 ..... not enough time to be really involved.

I do feel sorry for the players having to try and make these types of game watchable .... the game is usually squeezed into the last 3rd and its difficult to play defence splitting passes or pick out a forward with 10 men in front of you. There was a point in the 2nd half where even at 1 - 0 down Morton didn't even bother trying to pressure a Hibs throw in 10 yards from our byline, but instead dropped back into their own half. Finding a way round that is the secret to winning this league I suppose ..... scoring early would certainly help.

gegs70
16-08-2015, 03:42 AM
Wasn't at the game today but sounds as if an improvement is required? Ibrox next week too....

TheReg!
16-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Upside down on Lanark road ........yeah I was born this way;-)

HappyHanlon
16-08-2015, 07:57 AM
The match itself was dreadful but we managed to break down a stubborn Morton side.

Oxley: 6 - Done all the basics right, look confident and his distribution was spot on (probably his best attribute)

Gray: 6 - looked suspect at times defensively during the first half, still an attacking threat and his cross to Jase for the goal was inch perfect

Hanlon: 6 - Just another game for him

Fontaine: 6 - see above

Lewy: 6 - Needs to work on his crossing but played fairly well

Fyvie: 6 - great pass to Gray in the build up to the goal but a player of his calibre should be dominating the midfield. Some of his passing was a bit wayward.

McGinn: 7 - Probably still lacking in fitness but he dug in well and it's good to see a midfielder who's not afraid to shoot. My MOTM

Bartley: 6 - Still adjusting to the style of football/opponents in this country but he's strong and muscled his way onto the ball a few times. Be interesting to see him next week at Ibrox

Carmichael: 5 - Clearly lacking match fitness so not gonna be too harsh on him. Just didn't happen for him.

Boyle: 6 - Added the pace to the team and used it when closing down keeper on number of occasions. Again, match fitness is an issue here but it's great to see him back.

Malonga: 6 - Possibly a bit wasteful in front of goal but he showed some neat touches and wasn't afraid to track back. I think he could benefit by having someone like Keatings beside him.

Subs

Cummings: 6 - match winner. Added an extra dimension to the squad.

Henderson: 6 - I want to give him 7 but i'm gonna refrain. Looks a quality player. Can hold the ball up, strong in possession. I'd start him next week.

Stanton: 4 - Late sub so never really had a chance to get going.