PDA

View Full Version : What's needed?

Ozyhibby
15-08-2015, 04:21 PM
A quality right sided centre half, a striker and some urgency and mobility going forward with the ball.
Get that sorted and we might just crack it.

Ozyhibby
15-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Oh and about 5000 missing fans to come back to help fund it all.

rcarter1
15-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Oh and about 5000 missing fans to come back to help fund it all.

Or watch a video of Hamilton's performance today, an example of what can be done with 2000 home gates! Will be tough for us with most teams packing 10 men behind the ball, but while the extra 5000 would be nice, they aren't the main reason for our struggles.

lord bunberry
15-08-2015, 04:44 PM
I thought we were a bit more direct at times today, which was good to see. It's good to vary things to keep the opposition on their toes.

Waxy
15-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Keatings and Farid to get fit and challenge for places.

yekimevol
15-08-2015, 04:53 PM
We need a proper out ball up top and someone to hold the ball up, mix up the play between short and long balls.

Leith Green
15-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Screaming out for a quality centre half , a left back .. Still think we need better between the sticks too to win this division ( this could prove Stubbs achillies heel ) ...

Andy74
15-08-2015, 04:56 PM
We just need to settle into a formation a style and a team. We seem miles away from knowing any of that so it's very disjointed.

Leith Green
15-08-2015, 04:57 PM
We need a proper out ball up top and someone to hold the ball up, mix up the play between short and long balls.

The problem there is that we have keatings and farid injured.. Its at the back we are very very brittle, this is the area we must strengthen with players who will be first picks, not just squad players .

Brightside
15-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Screaming out for a quality centre half , a left back .. Still think we need better between the sticks too to win this division ( this could prove Stubbs achillies heel ) ...

Based on todays game we aren't screaming out for a quality centre half. But i do think we ned a Utility player to cover there and LB. All we need for me is a bit more urgency and drive, and to close down players quicker. Everything is down to midfield.

madhatter
15-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Width.

bill the hibby
15-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Thing that annoyed me about today is even though we were playing with pacey wingers, things were still far too slow going forward. The thing we need the most is 100 times more tempo

worcesterhibby
15-08-2015, 05:06 PM
3 points....and we got them. That's all that matters. The performances will get better, the football will get nicer to watch, the goals will come in numbers, but the most points you can get per game is 3 ....we got them = success. Everything else is fairly unimportant.

Brightside
15-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Width.

We had plenty width today - it was 451 in the first half... but they also played 451 and our wingers didn't make the runs to break the lines and create enough. It was just the usual square balls for most of the game. We really need to run at teams and draw more fouls.

SON OF PADDY
15-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I'll settle for a decent referee !!
The baldy blind hun we had today was embarrassing at best.

thebakerboy
15-08-2015, 05:09 PM
If anything happens to Gray , Hanlon Fontaine or Stevenson I think we are in deep doo doo for cover and therefore it is urgent to find experienced cover whether starters or back ups. If McGeoch comes then we will have him Fyvie Henderson McGinn Bartley Handling (when fit , still on crutches today ) Martin Stanton Boyle and Carmichael for midfield and Cummings Malonga Farid Keatings and Lewis Allen for upfront. That only leaves Forster and untried youngsters for defense.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Based on todays game we aren't screaming out for a quality centre half. But i do think we ned a Utility player to cover there and LB. All we need for me is a bit more urgency and drive, and to close down players quicker. Everything is down to midfield.

I disagree. Today's game isn't a benchmark. In bigger games we will concede. A quality right sided centre half to give us more balance. We don't need a utility player like a Keith Watson, we need someone to come in and properly push for a place.

I agree our midfield needs to be a lot better. But not all our failings are down to them. No way.

Ps, I'm not just having a go at Paul. I think the whole defence have been poor this season.

stoneyburn hibs
15-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Urgency, urgency, urgency.

madhatter
15-08-2015, 05:14 PM
We had plenty width today - it was 451 in the first half... but they also played 451 and our wingers didn't make the runs to break the lines and create enough. It was just the usual square balls for most of the game. We really need to run at teams and draw more fouls.

I'm sorry we played Boyle and Carmichael but if you think they were wide then I think you are ignoring a good 5 yards of the pitch. Every time it was cut inside. Need to stretch them wider and switch play faster - wingers must stay very close to the touchline, not 10-15 yards away.

Thecat23
15-08-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry we played Boyle and Carmichael but if you think they were wide then I think you are ignoring a good 5 yards of the pitch. Every time it was cut inside. Need to stretch them wider and switch play faster - wingers must stay very close to the touchline, not 10-15 yards away.

Spot on. We really much get down the flanks and stop cutting in.

Thecat23
15-08-2015, 05:21 PM

They don't go out wide enough and always look for the inside pass and not go down the line. It's frustrating because it glogged up the midfield every time and that made it easy for Morton to defend.

Stretching teams is how to make space, we don't do that enough but hopefully that will come.

GreenCastle
15-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Looked like a 4-1-4-1 until we changed it to 4-4-2

First half we started with width then we went very narrow with Carmichael tucking in.

No coincidence when we had width we looked more dangerous.

Considering we had 6 left footed players on the pitch in 2nd half we still don't have a left sided winger.

Calum68
15-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Definitely a centre half and a goal scorer. Hanlon looked shaky again and we never looked like scoring until Cummings came on. Hope Keatings or Farid get back soon. Malonga has a superb first touch but he's one of the laziest players I've seen. He looks totally disinterested half the time.

Franck Stanton
15-08-2015, 05:36 PM
NEED an out and out old fashioned centre forward. Stubbs played Malonga as the sole striker/hit man today and it just didn't work. Now I like Malonga, but not as a lone striker. Yes we have Farid to come back, [hopefully sooner rather than later], but with his injury record reckon we need a player who will start there week-in week-out. As for todays game, it was like night and day when Cummings came on, scored with his first touch, had one scrambled off the line and keeper made a great save [unfortunately] from a powerful header. He was only on the pitch for 25-30min and made a HUGE difference with his movement off the ball, gave our midfield players options they hadn't had for the first hour of the game.
Oh and could really do with a left back as well.

15-08-2015, 05:37 PM
A strong centre half to partner Fontaine. Hanlon for me is not the answer, making mistakes week in week out. Hanlon could be alright for back up but certainly not good enough to be our first choice.

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Looked like a 4-1-4-1 until we changed it to 4-4-2

First half we started with width then we went very narrow with Carmichael tucking in.

No coincidence when we had width we looked more dangerous.

Considering we had 6 left footed players on the pitch in 2nd half we still don't have a left sided winger.

Looked more 4-3-3 to me 1st half with the front 3 interchanging quite a bit. Didn't think it was very effective

PISTOL1875
15-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Wingers that actually stay wide and don't tuck in.........

GreenCastle
15-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Hanlon is too nice as a centre back. Decent at times but we need competition for the whole back 4.

A striker who can head and mix it up - Farid ideally but when will he be ready ?!!

We are still too nice a team and opposition teams sense that.

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Hanlon is a quality player, give me that over some horrible ugly center back (Michael Nelson anyone?) any day. Definitely need another defender maybe 2 and our 2 injured forwards to get back fit.

JJP
15-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Carmichael is not a pacey winger. He is skilful and evasive with a good cross on him but anyone that thinks we have signed a winger with pace will be disappointed.

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2015, 05:48 PM
A strong centre half to partner Fontaine. Hanlon for me is not the answer, making mistakes week in week out. Hanlon could be alright for back up but certainly not good enough to be our first choice.He is more than good enough to be our first choice, he had proven it time and time again. He is also playing on his weaker side every week which likely doesn't help.

What mistakes has Hanlon been making week in week out? He played fine today and vs Montrose, conceded a bad free kick vs Rangers and were very solid throughout last season.

S4uzee
15-08-2015, 05:54 PM
A left back to come and play not back up
A right sided CH to be a first pick(but could also cover RB if needed)
Mcgeouch

harpo
15-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Apart from natural width and urgency in the team, we lack natural leaders on the pitch. Kevin Keegan once said a team that wins you silverware has at least 5 leaders in the team. Sadly we have none.

Alfred E Newman
15-08-2015, 06:03 PM
We are too small and light weight in midfield and up front. The build up is too slow and predictable.
The same as last season really.
We need a strong aggressive leader in midfield and a big powerful front man . Cummings would score a barrowload of goals playing off a decent striker that could hold the ball up without falling on his erse.

Leith Green
15-08-2015, 06:24 PM

Im on holiday so missed todays game, so cant really give an opinion based on today. I can however base my opinion on parts of last season and also this season prior to today. Anbody who thinks the current back 5 will do the job of winning this league are seeing something im not. We need 2 signings to go right into that defence a lb & ch .. We also need a decent keeper, but Stubbs has already signed 2 ( 1 of which i struggle to understand)

My honest opinion is that Hanlon is decent and good enough as a squad player but a wee bit soft and naive, he gets caught out of position and misjudges things far too often. Stevenson is a fighter and another player you would have in your squad all day long, but his deliveries for a full back are quite pathetic at times, he also slows the play down in advanced positions, again not good enough. We need better players than oxley, hanlon, and stevenson to be winning this title. What shocks me most is that Stubbs seems to rate this 5 as a unit, this will be his downfall if he doesnt put it right imo..

kdhibees1
15-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Ormand, turnbull, Reilly, smith, Johnstone
Messi

Real Emerald
15-08-2015, 06:31 PM
We are too small and light weight in midfield and up front. The build up is too slow and predictable.
We need a strong aggressive leader in midfield and a big powerful front man . Cummings would score a barrowload of goals playing off a decent striker that could hold the ball up without falling on his erse.

That's my take on it too. We take too long to get forward and punish teams when we eventually get a numbers advantage. We seem to ponder, try to over pass and allow teams to get behind the ball again. Todays goal was a good example of what we should do more often.

I agree we need a big powerful CF too but we're probably hoping Farid will provide that when eventually fit. I hope this works out well but I do have some doubts.

Smartie
15-08-2015, 06:33 PM
A quality right sided centre half, a striker and some urgency and mobility going forward with the ball.

How about Jordan Forster, James Keatings and the belief that a few more decent results will bring?

It wasn't perfect today but I thought it showed a lot of promise.

The biggest positives for me were the options off the bench, the fact that Stubbs changed the game by making changes to personnel and formation early when it wasn't working and the positive impact that all our subs had.

That, and the performance of all the new boys. I thought Carmichael did well, clever player. Really like the look of McGinn, he looks brilliant and Henderson also had quality. Boyle offers us a totally different threat with his pace.

And Oxley's performance too. That was 100% what we need from a goalkeeper and I was starting to wonder whether that was a position we were going to need to look at again.

Leith Green
15-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Apart from natural width and urgency in the team, we lack natural leaders on the pitch. Kevin Keegan once said a team that wins you silverware has at least 5 leaders in the team. Sadly we have none.

I agree , and without wanting to coming across as sticking the boot into Hanlon and Stevenson ( which I genuinely aint - they have been decent servants to the club) you would think after 7-8 years playing 1st team football for hibs and coming through the ranks that we would get that out of these guys, which we clearly dont...

Alfred E Newman
15-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Messi

Supporters of a certain age will tell you, Messi couldn't lace Gordon Smiths boots.

high bee
15-08-2015, 06:37 PM
How about Jordan Forster, James Keatings and the belief that a few more decent results will bring.

It wasn't perfect today but I thought it showed a lot of promise.

The biggest positives for me were the options off the bench, the fact that Stubbs changed the game by making changes to personnel and formation early when it wasn't working and the positive impact that all our subs had.

That, and the performance of all the new boys. I thought Carmichael did well, clever player. Really like the look of McGinn, he looks brilliant and Henderson also had quality. Boyle offers us a totally different threat with his pace.

And Oxley's performance too. That was 100% what we need from a goalkeeper and I was starting to wonder whether that was a position we were going to need to look at again.

100% agree reference the news guys, once they settle in we will be looking even better. Oxleys best game for us IMO.

What encouraged me was that we were unlucky not to be more ahead because we were hitting the target an testing the keeper. As apposed to firing loads of efforts of target. Sam Stantons effort was a cracker.

truehibernian
15-08-2015, 06:39 PM
I Stanton, Harris and Lewis Allan will go out on loan and I think we will sign experience at the end of the window and it will be a surprising signing too :agree:

.....oh and an experienced utility defender.

familyman
15-08-2015, 06:46 PM
A left back and centre half and some pace and cohesion generally are required in the team ...still struggle to break down defence minded teams even after a full season of it.Malonga is not the answer...he is no target man.
The new arrivals look ok at first glance but too often they had no-one to pass the ball to..more training ground work needed there.
Hanlon still looks off pace even now.

Septimus
15-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Messi

Messi would not have got a game in that forward line.

E10 Rifle
15-08-2015, 07:03 PM
I Stanton, Harris and Lewis Allan will go out on loan and I think we will sign experience at the end of the window and it will be a surprising signing too :agree:

.....oh and an experienced utility defender.

I would keep Stanton, I think he'll be if use to us this season. If he'd been a new signing today we'd probably have been wetting ourselves at his 5 minute cameo

EskbankHibby
15-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Absolutely spot on.

Golden Bear
15-08-2015, 07:10 PM
What's needed? Elementary really.

The team needs to hit the ground running and make things happen rather than waiting on things to happen which they do at present.

bookert
15-08-2015, 07:38 PM
A strong centre half to partner Fontaine. Hanlon for me is not the answer, making mistakes week in week out. Hanlon could be alright for back up but certainly not good enough to be our first choice.
What was the mistake today? Just asking as I was at the game and missed ir

truehibernian
15-08-2015, 07:40 PM
I would keep Stanton, I think he'll be if use to us this season. If he'd been a new signing today we'd probably have been wetting ourselves at his 5 minute cameo

I like SS however he will go - either sold or on loan in my opinion.

Not a dig at you in any way but games last 90 not 5 minutes and for me he doesn't have a really good 90 in him - and he is weak physically for me.

I want both him and Harris to be a success but for me both need to work on their mindset and their strength - their natural skill is not in doubt for me. But this league needs players who are not afraid to get both on the ball, stuck in, and really take games on - whether 4-0 up or 2-1 behind - I want them to develop a real ruthless streak :agree:

Andy74
15-08-2015, 07:41 PM

I don't think Bartley is that small at 6'3". Neither are McGinn or Henderson. I wouldn't have Fyvie in the lightweight category either.

greenlex
15-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Definitely a centre half and a goal scorer. Hanlon looked shaky again and we never looked like scoring until Cummings came on. Hope Keatings or Farid get back soon. Malonga has a superb first touch but he's one of the laziest players I've seen. He looks totally disinterested half the time.

Apart from the very good saves by their keeper we didn't look like scoring.

Alex Trager
15-08-2015, 07:54 PM
We need a good quality left back.

E10 Rifle
15-08-2015, 07:56 PM
I like SS however he will go - either sold or on loan in my opinion.

Not a dig at you in any way but games last 90 not 5 minutes and for me he doesn't have a really good 90 in him - and he is weak physically for me.

I want both him and Harris to be a success but for me both need to work on their mindset and their strength - their natural skill is not in doubt for me. But this league needs players who are not afraid to get both on the ball, stuck in, and really take games on - whether 4-0 up or 2-1 behind - I want them to develop a real ruthless streak :agree:

That's fair enough - I just think the new signings get reviewed with a rosier tint in our spectacles than our own young talent. If he was new, and that had been his first appearance, I think we'd be demanding that he start next week or at least be given longer on the pitch. Instead we're saying get him out on loan! It's a funny old world. (and he's more talented than Carmichael if you ask me quietly)

Brightside
15-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Hanlon is a quality player, give me that over some horrible ugly center back (Michael Nelson anyone?) any day. Definitely need another defender maybe 2 and our 2 injured forwards to get back fit.

Exactly. I listened to someone in the west today slagging off Hanlon during a passage of play in the 2nd half where we were failing to clear the ball. The whole time it was Fontaine that was struggling. This total fallacy that Hanlon makes loads of errors is totally cemented in the head of some fans based on no evidence. Again today he was the only one coming forward out of defence and he does that because the midfield aren't showing for the ball and he's fed up firing 70 yd diagonal balls to stevenson. I may beat the Hanlon drum but thats because he is a quality centre half and almost every coach in the land will till you that.

But on here we get post after spot about him being shaky(?) and making mistake after mistake?? Ignore at least 6 pin point long passes, at least 20 headers and interception, and almost scoring a goal with a decent run.

truehibernian
15-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Exactly. I listened to someone in the west today slagging off Hanlon during a passage of play in the 2nd half where we were failing to clear the ball. The whole time it was Fontaine that was struggling. This total fallacy that Hanlon makes loads of errors is totally cemented in the head of some fans based on no evidence. Again today he was the only one coming forward out of defence and he does that because the midfield aren't showing for the ball and he's fed up firing 70 yd diagonal balls to stevenson. I may beat the Hanlon drum but thats because he is a quality centre half and almost every coach in the land will till you that.

But on here we get post after spot about him being shaky(?) and making mistake after mistake?? Ignore at least 6 pin point long passes, at least 20 headers and interception, and almost scoring a goal with a decent run.

Fontaine has been very poor by his (and our) high standards this early campaign - and I agree about your assessment of today.

I have been a big critic of Hanlon over the last few seasons, however last season he was one of our best players - my caveat is that for me, this is Paul Hanlon's level - he is not and will never be a player who reaches the heights of the English Championship, nor is he a leader, nor is he a top SPFL centre half - I certainly don't dislike him as a player however for me, if we don't win promotion this year he has to go - rationale being that he has been a constant (like wee Lewy) in a team that hasn't achieved.

I hope that the pair of them use that rationale to succeed and get us promoted. Alternatively they could try him in defensive midfield and we could get a proper 'winner' in the heart of defence.

matty_f
15-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Urgency, urgency, urgency.

Absolutely this. I think our style is too patient, i'd love to see us going at teams in the first twenty minutes with a view to having the game pretty much won in that time.

The_Exile
15-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Winger situation is frustrating. They must be being instructed to cut in though.

Brightside
15-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Winger situation is frustrating. They must be being instructed to cut in though.

It was disappointing that they didn't run at the players out wide...and also that Boyle ended up doing the pressing up front. Hopefully if Cummings starts next time they can keep the width.

CRAZYHIBBY
15-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Stokes would be a great addition imo

mca
15-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Think We Need More Confidence !!!.. :wink:

GreenLake
16-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Hanlon and Fontaine are not quite at their best but I think they will find it easier when the midfield and front line start playing together better. Midfield looks like they are waiting to see who is going to take control - a leader might be what we need the most.