PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Spike Mandela
15-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Scored again for Norwich.

I have long since thought that Whitty is the member of the 'Golden generation' that has carved out the best career.

Very underated at Hibs. Man of the match for me in '07 cup final, played International, Europa League final, Premiership, chips in with goals.....a very talented laddie.

ScottB
15-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Him or Fletcher for sure, probably helped by the fact neither were idiots / wasters off the field. Neither the most naturally talented, but both able to put the effort in to sustain what talent they did have.

Bostonhibby
15-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Scored again for Norwich.

I have long since thought that Whitty is the member of the 'Golden generation' that has carved out the best career.

Very underated at Hibs. Man of the match for me in '07 cup final, played International, Europa League final, Premiership, chips in with goals.....a very talented laddie.

:agree: Class is permanent, on and off the pitch a good man - seen him at the Canaries a couple of times and very comfortable at EPL/Championship level.

TRC
15-08-2015, 03:48 PM
On a side note watmore just scored for sunderland

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Said on here before, grew up with Whitty and his attitude when he first signed for Hibs was incredible. He totally had his head screwed on, never touched a drop of bevvy on nights out(until he was well established [emoji4]) and put everything into it. Complete contrast to another boy in our year at school who signed for Hibs at the same time and one that signed, and made the first team, for Hearts who took the opposite approach to things. He deserves all the success he's had

Lago
15-08-2015, 04:55 PM
:top marks
Said on here before, grew up with Whitty and his attitude when he first signed for Hibs was incredible. He totally had his head screwed on, never touched a drop of bevvy on nights out(until he was well established [emoji4]) and put everything into it. Complete contrast to another boy in our year at school who signed for Hibs at the same time and one that signed, and made the first team, for Hearts who took the opposite approach to things. He deserves all the success he's had

Baldy
15-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I don't believe that Whittaker has ever had a bad word to say about Hibs, he has always said he was grateful for Hibs giving him the opportunity and even when he went to the old Rangers, he never slagged us off ...

a class guy on and off the pitch

Jonnyboy
15-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I don't believe that Whittaker has ever had a bad word to say about Hibs, he has always said he was grateful for Hibs giving him the opportunity and even when he went to the old Rangers, he never slagged us off ...

a class guy on and off the pitch

Agreed :agree: Very good player

Pretty Boy
15-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Always liked Whittaker.

He's proof of how far hard work and dedication will get you and deserves his time at the top level.

Golden Bear
15-08-2015, 09:19 PM
A model pro and a good football player. No frills and he doesn't need them.

West hamBERNIAN
15-08-2015, 09:32 PM
On a side note watmore just scored for sunderland

Very nearly won me £900, just needed millwall to score 😳😷

Lago
15-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Watching motd and Steven Whittaker was terrific. Great goal always remember him at ER.

MartinfaePorty
15-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Especially as he was played left back or left midfield in his early days under Williamson. Great feet and ability to drive into the box.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Couple of comments above that play down his natural skill IMO.

My abiding memory of Whittaker is the Dnipro game, think we were 3-1 down, they had a corner and the ball finds its way to him on the six-yard line.

Some would have punted it up the field, nothing wrong with that, given the situation.

Some would have tried to move the ball out to the flank, punting it or looking for a pass even, nothing wrong with that, given the situation.

Whittaker controlled the ball and then worked his way out through the centre of the penalty box, dribbling past three challenges IIRC before moving the ball on.

It was exquisite to watch. I think that's one of the factors that has lead to him managing to do fine to hold a place in an EPL team - not that he should be dribbling out his box but more that he is technically proficient enough to do so.

He's talented enough - that combined with what appears to be the right attitude has served him in good stead.

Baader
16-08-2015, 01:45 AM
Very underrated during his time with us. A very good player. As an aside I think Fletcher is probably regressing in a side that already looks like they will struggle to stay up.

Mr White
16-08-2015, 07:10 AM
His goal in the 4 nil win over dundee at easter road in Mowbrays first season was one of my favourites that year. Ran from the halfway line skipping past challenges, one-two with GOC and smashed it into the top corner. Lovely goal.

lucky
16-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Best RB I've seen at Hibs in 35 years. Also played a part in helping us win the League cup

HibbyAndy
16-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Always liked Whitty.

BoomtownHibees
16-08-2015, 09:15 AM
His mum and dad were down watching him yesterday as well. No better time to get yourself a goal

16-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Always felt that Whittaker is the least talked about of the "golden generation" group that left us. He's just gotten on quietly with his career and done very well out of it. Good on him.

Totally agree that he was under rated when with us.

ancient hibee
16-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Have never understood why various managers have moved him around positions when he is a terrific right back.

overdrive
16-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Especially as he was played left back or left midfield in his early days under Williamson. Great feet and ability to drive into the box.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's because left midfield was generally his position - I remember watching him in reserve or under 21 games whichever it was before he made the breakthrough and this where he mostly played (sometimes on the right). Williamson played him at fullback (I think actually as a wingback).

I remember reading an interview where he said he saw an opportunity when Mowbray was appointed to become a regular in the team as there was no recognised right back at the club. Mowbray went round the players asking what their favoured position was and he said right back despite having little experience there.

GreenLake
16-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Best RB I've seen at Hibs in 35 years. Also played a part in helping us win the League cup

Who played for the two years after Brownlie left? :greengrin

DavieRoy
16-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Sky Sports News HQ did this with them in June ahead of the Scotland v Qatar game at Easter Road.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9875590/scotland-face-qatar-at-easter-road

I think the 10 minute version may still be On Demand on the Sky Box.

Menu, Catch Up, Sky Sports, Scottish football tab for On Demand.