PDA

View Full Version : Credit to the board and Stubbsy

anon1875
15-08-2015, 12:38 AM
Celtic didn't have to buy Allan, could of easily got him for free at the end of the year. Who ever pushed for this deal to happen has to take a good deal of credit as this has been a really good bit of business for us. We now have some money to play with and two weeks to invest it in the squad, two new players of high quality and all of this for an unsettled player who was leaving at the end of the season for nothing. After a crap start to the season, things are starting to shape up quickly, lets **** morton tomorrow because I live in Greenock and won't be able to show my face for weeks GGTH.

Steve20
15-08-2015, 03:10 AM
The board and Stubbs deserve credit IF McGeouch actually signs. If it turned out to be just the £275k plus Henderson on a one year loan, then it's not that great a deal.

Big_Franck
15-08-2015, 03:14 AM
The board and Stubbs deserve credit IF McGeouch actually signs. If it turned out to be just the £275k plus Henderson on a one year loan, then it's not that great a deal.

There's not a hope in hell Dempster/Petrie would accept 275k and a youngster on loan for Scott Allan.

No idea where this 275k figure has come from but it's starting to take on mythical Griffiths 150k proportions.

Barney McGrew
15-08-2015, 04:29 AM
Hibs have played an absolute blinder here.

We've swapped a talented creative midfielder who has had his head turned and didn't want to be here any more, for a talented creative goal scoring midfielder who will be hungry to play and put 100% in every day. We get Celtic to pay his wages for the year and get a wad of cash for the privilege.

We'll still get Dylan over the next few days, and have royally pissed off the Govan hoardes in the process.

Win win doesn't even begin to cover it :hilarious

SquashedFrogg
15-08-2015, 06:41 AM

We've swapped a talented creative midfielder who has had his head turned and didn't want to be here any more, for a talented creative goal scoring midfielder who will be hungry to play and put 100% in every day. We get Celtic to pay his wages for the year and get a wad of cash for the privilege.

We'll still get Dylan over the next few days, and have royally pissed off the Govan hoardes in the process.

Couldn't have summed it up better.

jakeshibs
15-08-2015, 06:55 AM
I think this is good business, Allen wanted to go! it would of been difficult for Stubbsy to manage him.
we just need to ensure we get Dylan in the deal

DH1875
15-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Really depends on what's happening with Dylan does it not?

Betty Boop
15-08-2015, 07:52 AM

Yea and if he doesn't, its not such a good deal after all.

lyonhibs
15-08-2015, 07:54 AM

Yep. He signs up, great deal. He doesn't, pretty mediocre deal.

Onion
15-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Arguably the best piece of management in support of the football side of the business.... in years. Well done to LD, AS and everyone else involved. And well done to the Hibs supporters and Hibs players for their mature response to SA and the whole sorry affair.

All played a blinder :thumbsup:

lucky
15-08-2015, 08:45 AM
This does not look that good a deal £275k and kid on loan. If DM signs on a free then it sweetens it but I don't think deal as it is is that great.

Gerard
15-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Only the Hibs BOD know the amount of money that Hibs will get from Celtic to buy SA. I have confidence in our board to get the best deal possible.:wink:

Cabbage East
15-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Celtic wanted nearly half a million for DM. If he doesn't sign then the price for Allan would reflect that. But he will sign. The way the club has handled this has been bang on.

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2015, 08:51 AM
I see the usual negative posters are on here trying to put a negative spin on things....if you believe LD would accept just 275k plus loan signing for SA then think again. im sure Dylan will sign over next few days and if not then the fee will rise

Lee Marvin
15-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Some people really are out of touch if they think £275k plus a loan is what we received.

overdrive
15-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Some people really out of touch if they think £275k plus a loan is what we received.

Some people are really out of touch as well if they think that plus McGeough is a bad deal if it turns out McGeough comes. For a player who is out of contract soon, handed in a transfer request and was causing all sorts of trouble, it is a bloody good deal.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2015, 09:18 AM
It is not like Allan was a player who we have spent fortunes on either. We picked him up on a freezer. If he had stayed and signed a pre in January, there is every chance he would have been kept away from the first team, for team morale if nothing else. For me then, there are no negatives here. Those in charge have made the right decisions. The decision about wanting to leave was Allan's alone and out of our control.

Hibbyradge
15-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Some people are really out of touch as well if they think that plus McGeough is a bad deal if it turns out McGeough comes. For a player who is out of contract soon, handed in a transfer request and was causing all sorts of trouble, it is a bloody good deal.

Correct.

Why people can't see that baffles me.

In 139 days, Scott Allen was free to sign a pre-contract with our direct competitors.

We would have got nothing for him, but what's worse, is his commitment to our cause would have been in doubt. Not just in our minds, but his as well.

This way we get some cash to invest elsewhere in the team, a young starlet on loan who we don't pay for, and most probably, a seasoned player who most Hibs fans rate. And we wouldn't have had to give Allen a share of the fee since he asked for a transfer.

Someone with more knowledge of players' values and salaries may be able to put a price on all of that, but it's a great deal for a half hearted player who, deliberately or not, was causing unrest at the club, and who was only really with ours for another 4 1/2 months.

Smartie
15-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Will it ever be possible to work out how much we received?

Will "transfer fees received" appear in our accounts further down the line?

livi hibs 1875
15-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Got rid of a guy who did not want to be at the cabbage, got two of scotlands best talents in Henderson and Mcginn, hopefully or definitely who ever you believe mcgoosh and possibly a new defender and all of this without spending a penny, or have a player who would have left for nothing and caused huge problems for us internally , and finally got 3 or 4 news songs to sing , sash or cash , one of your own ....................... well done the mighty HIBERNIAN . Let's win today and get back on track ,ggtth

S4uzee
15-08-2015, 09:46 AM
As long as mcgeouch signs. It's vital we win today, no other result acceptable

JimBHibees
15-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Correct.

In 139 days, Scott Allen was free to sign a pre-contract with our direct competitors.

We would have got nothing for him, but what's worse, is his commitment to our cause would have been in doubt. Not just in our minds, but his as well.

This way we get some cash to invest elsewhere in the team, a young starlet on loan who we don't pay for, and most probably, a seasoned player who most Hibs fans rate. And we wouldn't have had to give Allen a share of the fee since he asked for a transfer.

Someone with more knowledge of players' values and salaries may be able to put a price on all of that, but it's a great deal for a half hearted player who, deliberately or not, was causing unrest at the club, and who was only really with ours for another 4 1/2 months.

Sums it up completely. Don't understand anyone who thinks otherwise.

Andy74
15-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Some people really out of touch if they think £275k plus a loan is what we received.

Sort of agree but the statement makes it look that way. When the McGeough part has more or less been factored in by everyone until that is done the deal won't look as good. We don't mention the cash amount but people will take the figure that's out there.

Springbank
15-08-2015, 09:57 AM
As long as mcgeouch signs. It's vital we win today, no other result acceptable

I agree with this

Get mcgeoch then it's good business

I'm puzzled why we let Celtic parade Allan when only half a deal has been sealed

Bring dylan in though and I'd agree it's been good business

And we need to win today

Lee Marvin
15-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Sort of agree but the statement makes it look that way. When the McGeough part has more or less been factored in by everyone until that is done the deal won't look as good. We don't mention the cash amount but people will take the figure that's out there.

Equally, mcgeough as part of the deal or his value on top of the agreed fee is 'out there' and has been widley reported.

Both dempster and stubbs seem delighted with the business from their comments - £275k plus a loan would give them no reason to be.

Hibs have played a blinder!

MSK
15-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Some people really are out of touch if they think £275k plus a loan is what we received.What was it then, I've read various figures ?

Lee Marvin
15-08-2015, 10:01 AM
What was it then, I've read various figures ?

I guess that depends on whether Dylan signs or not

Ringothedog
15-08-2015, 10:04 AM
I agree with this

Get mcgeoch then it's good business

I'm puzzled why we let Celtic parade Allan when only half a deal has been sealed

Bring dylan in though and I'd agree it's been good business

And we need to win today

The Dylan deal is seperate to the Allan/cash plus Henderson deal.

Andy74
15-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Equally, mcgeough as part of the deal or his value on top of the agreed fee is 'out there' and has been widley reported.

Both dempster and stubbs seem delighted with the business from their comments - £275k plus a loan would give them no reason to be.

Hibs have played a blinder!

I believe so too but until McGeough arrives there is some question over it.

Eric
15-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Correct.

I think the Hibs fans on here do.:wink:

Onion
15-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Correct.

And anyone thinking Allan would still be a Hibs player after January is kidding themselves. Hibs would be forced by Allan and the Huns to accept a token payment to get shot of him. Great bit of business by Hibs :top marks

Jim44
15-08-2015, 10:11 AM
The Dylan deal is seperate to the Allan/cash plus Henderson deal.

Deals can fall through, so in theory, and despite what the ITKers say about the cash increase for Allan in the event of a no no from McGeouch, the bottom line could be around £275K plus a loanee. Not so tasty but I suppose Stubbs can blow the cash on a very decent full back.

Onion
15-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Deals can fall through, so in theory, and despite what the ITKers say about the cash increase for Allan in the event of a no no from McGeouch, the bottom line could be around £275K plus a loanee. Not so tasty but I suppose Stubbs can blow the cash on a very decent full back.

Read that Celtic valued McGeough at £460k and had waived the fee as part of the Allan deal, so in theory Hibs should get £735k plus Henderson :cb

Lee Marvin
15-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Also, there is an argument that a happy Henderson will be better for us this season than an unhappy Allan. So, an extra £275k plus DM or £460k is brilliant.

I think people put too much emphasis on how important Allan was to us. He is a great player, but hearts didn't have him and they romped the league. We did, and finished 20 points behind them.

We can potentially be far stronger without him and the baggage he now comes with

ancient hibee
15-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Clearly the bottom line won't be £275K plus a loanee.We've been told it's a 3 player deal.If one payer drops out there will have to be an adjustment in the cash fee.

Caversham Green
15-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Will it ever be possible to work out how much we received?

Will "transfer fees received" appear in our accounts further down the line?

Yes, the fee will be shown as 'Gain on disposal of intangible fixed assets' in a separate line in the accounts to 31 July 2016.

I have a feeling it will be inflated by the notional fee for Dylan (who is virtually certain to sign IMO) and possibly even the loanee wages being paid by Celtc.

Spike Mandela
15-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Correct.

Here we go again though, getting excited about getting a small fee and an unproven youngster for a player we might have got nothing for in a few months time.

In the final analysis for the season it may turn out to be brilliant business by the board. On the face of it, it might appear so. If McGinn or Mcgeoch (should he sign)steps up to replace Allan or we play a different style that wins more games, so be it...happy days.

On the other hand, we have just sold our best player. Last years player of the Championship and our player of the season. The player that was all over our merchandising and season ticket literature. The player Stubbs has built the team around and who featured in all our pre season. A guy who clearly lifted the team from being rather ordinary when he came on as sub in our competitive games so far, with no hint of this business having affected his play as so many seem to assume it will.

Let's face it this is classic Hibs selling their best player after season ticket sales have dried up and relatively near the end of the window.

So yes it may be great business but we've done great business before to the detriment of the team and see where that has got us. I would rather see how our performances and season pan out before carrying the board shoulder high down Princes st.

Smartie
15-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Here we go again though, getting excited about getting a small fee and an unproven youngster for a player we might have got nothing for in a few months time.

In the final analysis for the season it may turn out to be brilliant business by the board. On the face of it, it might appear so. If McGinn or Mcgeoch (should he sign)steps up to replace Allan or we play a different style that wins more games, so be it...happy days.

On the other hand, we have just sold our best player. Last years player of the Championship and our player of the season. The player that was all over our merchandising and season ticket literature. The player Stubbs has built the team around and who featured in all our pre season. A guy who clearly lifted the team from being rather ordinary when he came on as sub in our competitive games so far, with no hint of this business having affected his play as so many seem to assume it will.

Let's face it this is classic Hibs selling their best player after season ticket sales have dried up and relatively near the end of the window.

So yes it may be great business but we've done great business before to the detriment of the team and see where that has got us. I would rather see how our performances and season pan out before carrying the board shoulder high down Princes st.

Good post.

Mixed feelings for me too.

Scott Allan was a joy to watch last season, we've not had a player as good as him for a while so his departure can't be viewed as a good thing. And in spite of all of the rumours he appeared (to me anyway) to still be giving us his all during matches.

His departure seemed almost inevitable in the end though, so getting decent cash with players in exchange as well as drawing a line under a great fiasco seems welcome at this stage. Especially when we all had to entertain the notion that he might actually leave for The Rangers which would have been unbearable.

Anyway, off to buy that season ticket…..

weecounty hibby
15-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Stop being so gloom and doom you miserable git. It wasn't that last Friday when you talked me into getting STs again. We got rid of someone who handed in a transfer request, got cash, one of the most highly rated youngsters in Scotland and hopefully DMc too. Anyway you get to be after nightshift😴😴😴

Spike Mandela
15-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Stop being so gloom and doom you miserable git. It wasn't that last Friday when you talked me into getting STs again. We got rid of someone who handed in a transfer request, got cash, one of the most highly rated youngsters in Scotland and hopefully DMc too. Anyway you get to be after nightshift

Not being doom and gloom (although I have had three hour kip off the nightshift.. thanks Mr strimmer man:greengrin). Just playing devil's advocate weecounty. We HAVE been down this road before many, many times.

Aldo
15-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Don't forget the 50k extravover the next 4 seasons should Smellic qualify for the group stages of CL. Potentially another 200k.

On the Dylan front I am confident he'll sign on.

ancient hibee
15-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Not being doom and gloom (although I have had three hour kip off the nightshift.. thanks Mr strimmer man:greengrin). Just playing devil's advocate weecounty. We HAVE been down this road before many, many times.

The one time it really worked for us was in signing Joe McBride to replace Colin Stein.

Spike Mandela
15-08-2015, 10:50 AM
The one time it really worked for us was in signing Joe McBride to replace Colin Stein.

Need to bow to your experience on that one auld yin.:wink:

ancient hibee
15-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Need to bow to your experience on that one auld yin.:wink:

I was upset when we didn't replace Gordon Smith:greengrin

emerald green
15-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Quote from EEN today:

"While he (McGeouch) won't be making an immediate move east, the EEN understands talks will be ongoing, with McGeouch likely now to be subject of separate negotiations while the initial reputed fee of £275,000 for Allan "plus extras" is expected to increase depending on the final outcome of what is a complex three-way discussion."

That sounds pretty good to me (if true / accurate) considering Hibs have got rid of a player who didn't want to be at ER, and was possibly affecting team morale (which is hugely important) and would have left for nothing at the end of the season.

It means that others like McGinn, Henderson and Fyvie really must step up and do the business now that Allan has left.

PS: I'm still curious as to what really prompted Celtic to sign Allan.

rcarter1
15-08-2015, 11:12 AM

This I am hoping is the key. Any team relying on a single superstar, needs all the others to be happy to work around this (Napoli/Maradonna). I much prefer a team of (near) equals, all pushing each other to do well. Its been a theme with us for the last while relying on a big hitter. In the season we finished 7th SPL, Fenlon had the audacity to say Hibs were a good team, which we weren't -it was because Griffiths was capable of scoring the goals that kept us respectable.

anon1875
15-08-2015, 11:44 AM
A lot of people bash Rod Petrie but hats off to the bigman, he's pulled a ****ing blinder here.

Alfred E Newman
15-08-2015, 11:55 AM

That's about how I see it as well. Historically we sell our best player , bank some money and use the remainder to bring in 2 or 3 players of lesser ability.
It might be that performances and results improve but how we ever build a settled team and get out of this endless spiral of producing players and losing them at the 1st opportunity I just don't know.

One Day Soon
15-08-2015, 12:04 PM

This is absolutely spot on.

We can cut it anyway we like but we arrived at the start of this season clearly unprepared for the first games in terms of fitness, squad and system and we have paid a price for that. Now we have also sold the player who was key to the system Stubbs wanted to play - against our will but nevertheless he's gone. We now have to adjust in-season and hope that the existing squad plus one, or we hope two, new players from Celtc make the difference. That is a far from ideal approach.

This he club has tried to make the best of a bad position. From that perspective IF we also get McGeoch then it looks like a reasonable so far as assets and cash are concerned, but that isn't the same as making it a good deal as far as the first team system and style are concerned - that remains to be seen.

The only acid test of all this that counts is the league games, league position and points accumulated. In that respect the jury is still well and truly out on Leanne, AS and Hibs. Let's hope it all turns around now.

From Rangers point of view this is the best outcome possible. They have gotten our best player and key playmaker off our books and they haven't had to spend a penny to do it. Job done by them, his agent and the popular media.

15-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Exactly. Obviously it would have been nice to keep Allan but as you say, he had his head turned and by all accounts was starting to get a bit big for his boots in training etc. so this was probably the best outcome. We don't want a player who thinks he's too good for us and doesn't want to be here.

Huns can try and convince themselves all they like that its a victory for them but they know fine well that they have been royally humiliated by all this.

GreenCastle
15-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Time will tell - I want results on the pitch.

Board and manager still have to deliver where it counts most.

high bee
15-08-2015, 12:40 PM
That's about how I see it as well. Historically we sell our best player , bank some money and use the remainder to bring in 2 or 3 players of lesser ability.
It might be that performances and results improve but how we ever build a settled team and get out of this endless spiral of producing players and losing them at the 1st opportunity I just don't know.

I have a feeling we will see McGinn and Cummings attract a lot of attention in the next few years. Hopefully we get a few years out of them 1st.

Caversham Green
15-08-2015, 01:11 PM

We'll never know for sure whether it was a good piece of business or not. Scott Allan might have gone on to have brilliant season and seen us run away with the league, he might have been a one-season wonder. We might run away with the league with the help of the two players coming in from Celtic.

However, through events that were outwith the club's control, Scott Allan's position at the club was close to untenable. If he stayed he would have been targeted by opposition players and fans and a section of our own fans. Every mistake he made would have been examined and magnified - imagine if he had failed to tackle his wee hun mate who then went on to score. Even if he just had an off-day (and by all accounts he had a few of those last season) he would have had the fans on his back very quickly.

That's the position we were in and I can't see any realistic way it was going to change unless Scott played out of his skin for the whole of this season so the most likely best course of action was to get rid for the best deal possible. Given the circumstances and player's somewhat dodgy CV I don't think we were likely to make a better deal. They certainly weren't forming a queue for him down here.

jacomo
15-08-2015, 01:37 PM
SA has left on our terms, not his. He was never 'one of our own' but a player we signed on a free last summer and with 12 months left on his contract.

I'll assume that AS genuinely wanted him to stay but in the circumstances we have done as well as possible.

iwasthere1972
15-08-2015, 01:48 PM

Totally agree. Nobody in England except Rotherham were interested in SA and I have my doubts that they were prepared to spend megabucks on him. Selling to Celtic was great business and good to get rid of him early. A big GIRUY to the Huns helped as well.

hibs0666
21-08-2015, 06:13 PM

Go on, say something positive about Hibs now. Unless you're really gutted at the news?

Onceinawhile
21-08-2015, 06:16 PM
A lot of people bash Rod Petrie but hats off to the bigman, he's pulled a ****ing blinder here.

It's been nothing to do with him.

Onion
21-08-2015, 06:20 PM

Is that you "big man" ?