PDA

View Full Version : Calm Down, Calm Down

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Now the dust has settled, and despite the massive disappointment of yesterday let's remember we have played and lost ONE game in the league.
Fitness
La Manga
Signing Crocks
Stubbs
And so many other factors have been blamed on here, FFS talk about pressing a panic button. The first game and folk have written us off already! Give it a chance eh.

Northernhibee
09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Now the dust has settled, and despite the massive disappointment of yesterday let's remember we have played and lost ONE game in the league.
Fitness
La Manga
Signing Crocks
Stubbs
And so many other factors have been blamed on here, FFS talk about pressing a panic button. The first game and folk have written us off already! Give it a chance eh.

:top marks

Stuarty27
09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Take it you didn't travel through, get stuck in traffic on M8 which took over 2 hours to get there, stuck In traffic in Dumbarton for 45 minutes after the game?

Take it you didn't watch the manner of the defeat. The obvious lack of fight and belief?

No wonder folk are peed off.

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Take it you didn't travel through, get stuck in traffic on M8 which took over 2 hours to get there, stuck In traffic in Dumbarton for 45 minutes after the game?

Take it you didn't watch the manner of the defeat. The obvious lack of fight and belief?

I know its little consolation but I'm trying hard to be positive. Next time I will post a quicker way out of Dumbarton to avoid those stupid lights at milton

BigT-Hibeez
09-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Fitness
La Manga
Signing Crocks
Stubbs

You forgot we got pumped 6-2 recently.. I'm worried..

Waxy
09-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Fitness
La Manga
Signing Crocks
Stubbs
And so many other factors have been blamed on here, FFS talk about pressing a panic button. The first game and folk have written us off already! Give it a chance eh.Yes and lots of worse things have happened in the past that put yesterdays one result into perspective.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 07:56 AM

And after all that we have still only played one game, of course people were peed off, every right to be but let's not pack up and give in after ONE game. Yes I wasn't there, I am in Liverpool for the weekend but that doesn't alter my sentiment, the day I write a team off after one game regardless of whether I was there or not is the day I will pack in and take up tiddlywinks!

Thecat23
09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Pumped 2-6 by The Rangers at home.

Look unfit.

Lost 2-1 to part time Dumbarton yes that DUMBARTON.

Allan causing unrest.

Oxley, Hanlon and Stevenson looking poor.

Playing with 4 central midfielders.

No cover for the defence if we get injuries or suspensions.

Yep can we all just calm down it's not as if we have over reacted before and things turned out alright is it.

We're in the championship FFS instead of calming down how about folk sit up and notice that this is unexceppable! The more we brush off these results the more we start to except sub standard performances. It's embarrassing nothing more nothing less.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
You forgot we got pumped 6-2 recently.. I'm worried..

Nope I haven't forgotten at all.

Forza Fred
09-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Yes and lots of worse things have happened in the past that put yesterdays one result into perspective.

I think that perspective is though, ...there are two part time teams in the league and we lost to one of them.

It was important that we got a good result, not only for the three points we are now behind Rangers, but for ongoing confidence

Hibs fans are right to be concerned, and it is natural that they post thief concerns on a forum like this...one that exists off that very purpose.

Jim44
09-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Same old, same old, it never changes. We have yet another useless performance resulting in yet another damaging result. Of course a lot of us are going to moan our guts off and of course some are going to be 'philosophical' and shrug it off. It's the way are and the way it's been for years. The real worrying thing is that the ones who panic at the early signs of pending failure are always right.

Alfred E Newman
09-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Same old, same old, it never changes. We have yet another useless performance resulting in yet another damaging result. Of course a lot of us are going to moan our guts off and of course some are going to be 'philosophical' and shrug it off. It's the way are and the way it's been for years. The real worrying thing is that the ones who panic at the early signs of pending failure are always right.

For once I agree with you Jim :wink:
We just seem to lurch from one crisis to another and the supporters are right to be concerned.
Even if we beat Morton next week a loss to Rangers at Ibrox could see us 6 points behind after only 3 games and more or less out of it before the season gets going.
That's what happened last season and we never recovered. Ok, we are more or less certain to make the play offs one way or another but as we saw this year that is no guarantee of success.
I think there was an optimism amongst the support that we would hit the ground running and even Stubbs said the same thing. As it is , thanks largely to the Allan fiasco and the now predictable injuries, we are no where near ready to challenge for the title .

Gordy M
09-08-2015, 08:42 AM
For once I agree with you Jim :wink:
We just seem to lurch from one crisis to another and the supporters are right to be concerned.
Even if we beat Morton next week a loss to Rangers at Ibrox could see us 6 points behind after only 3 games and more or less out of it before the season gets going.
That's what happened last season and we never recovered. Ok, we are more or less certain to make the play offs one way or another but as we saw this year that is no guarantee of success.
I think there was an optimism amongst the support that we would hit the ground running and even Stubbs said the same thing. As it is , thanks largely to the Allan fiasco and the now predictable injuries, we are no where near ready to challenge for the title .
And yet if we win our next two games then we will be at least on the same points as the rangers?? Lets not throw the towel in just yet. We have a few players to return and i think we will see another two signings. Still a long long way to go.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Look unfit.

Allan causing unrest.

Yep can we all just calm down it's not as if we have over reacted before and things turned out alright is it.

We're in the championship FFS instead of calming down how about folk sit up and notice that this is unexceppable! The more we brush off these results the more we start to except sub standard performances. It's embarrassing nothing more nothing less.

You must be easily embarrassed

My_Wife_Camille
09-08-2015, 08:56 AM
I remember these posts telling us to calm down when Mowbray finished 4th after coming 3rd the year before...

then when Collins only finished 6th

then when Mixu barely scraped into the top 6

then when Yogi had us 4th after a horrendous run from February onwards

then when Clalderwood finished 10th we were told to calm down

then when we finished 11th under Fenlon

then when we got relegated

then after our awful start and disappointing finish last season in the Championship

Now we've started off this season with a 6-2 defeat and a horrible defeat to a part time team and we are still being told to calm down!

You can dress it up how you like but this reaction is not a knee jerk reaction to one bad game, it's now the 16th game we've failed to win out of 37 since being relegated.

The only constants at this club over the last 10 years have been decline, Rod Petrie and fans being told to calm down.

hibsbollah
09-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Agree with the OP. I sometimes wonder how many of the posters who come on here to rage after every defeat actually remember what club we support? We are Hibs. We've been **** for quite a while. We've had embarrassing performances, results and soap operas for quite a while. We last won anything on a wonderful day in 2007 and the last eight years have been unremitting misery for the most part.

its ONE game into the season ffs. Personally I'm looking forward to taking my laddie to ER next week to see if we can bounce back. I just hope there's not some spittle flecked joker sitting behind me, who can't get his hole and has had a ***** week at work, screaming obscenities at his own team, which is a fairly commonplace occurrence these days.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Agree with the OP. I sometimes wonder how many of the posters who come on here to rage after every defeat actually remember what club we support? We are Hibs. We've been **** for quite a while. We've had embarrassing performances, results and soap operas for quite a while. We last won anything on a wonderful day in 2007 and the last eight years have been unremitting misery for the most part.

its ONE game into the season ffs. Personally I'm looking forward to taking my laddie to ER next week to see if we can bounce back. I just hope there's not some spittle flecked joker sitting behind me, who can't get his hole and has had a ***** week at work, screaming obscenities at his own team, which is a fairly commonplace occurrence these days.

Top post......

hibsbollah
09-08-2015, 09:01 AM
I remember these posts telling us to calm down when Mowbray finished 4th after coming 3rd the year before...

then after our awful start and disappointing finish last season in the Championship

You've identified a pattern, obviously. The equally obvious question is, So why is anyone surprised and outraged when we lose a season opener?

H18S NX
09-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Look unfit.

Allan causing unrest.

We're in the championship FFS instead of calming down how about folk sit up and notice that this is unexceppable! The more we brush off these results the more we start to except sub standard performances. It's embarrassing nothing more nothing less. :top marks

Smartie
09-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Fitness
La Manga
Signing Crocks
Stubbs

Going against the grain but I actually think this is a good post.

I was there, it was garbage and it was inexcusable. I'm not doing the "taking positives" line (well apart from McGinn looking like a player) and don't wish to defend the indefensible.

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got. That team yesterday wasn't different enough from what we ultimately failed with last season so whilst we might have hoped that it would be enough to beat Dumbarton, ultimately it wasn't.

The players Stubbs has signed are good players and will compliment what we already have well - it is very unfortunate that they aren't fit.

That combination of players yesterday will do nothing. Collectively that defensive unit will never work - this MUST be addressed. I'm hoping Stubbs will admit his mistake with Oxley, can him and either try Reguero or get someone else in.

Those midfielders playing that way ail never create the chances that Malonga and Cummings will score. The delivery from wide was generally poor but there were also some very decent balls played in. The lack of desire from the strikers and attacking midfielders to get in the 6 yard box and attack the ball was lamentable, utterly brutal. I like Malonga and Cummings as players and we can defend how many they scored last season but they are a major part of why we - as a team - don't score enough goals.

McGinn looked quality.

Farid would get in about those balls getting flashed across the box, as would (I am sure) a nippy wee poacher like Keatings. Carmichael and Boyle have pace and trickery to beat men out wide and get crosses in.

I am a Lewis fan but he had another poor game yesterday imo, we need to be considering an alternative there.

Forster's injury was a major disappointment and I can't wait to see him back. TBH I'd be tempted to stick him up front. At least he'd attack these balls that we put into the box. Hanlon struggles from time to time against physical players but yesterday he was torn a new one by Gary Fleming (who?) and looked all at sea.

It was a bad day at the office but within our squad we already have a lot of the solutions albeit they are injured. We also have a few week of the transfer window to go to potentially bring players in (and see an end to the Scott Allan saga one way or another too).

It was very poor yesterday but more than ever we need to "keep the heid".

carnoustiehibee
09-08-2015, 09:08 AM

Now we've started off this season with a 6-2 defeat and a horrible defeat to a part time team and we are still being told to calm down!

You can dress it up how you like but this reaction is not a knee jerk reaction to one bad game, it's now the 16th game we've failed to win out of 37 since being relegated.

The only constants at this club over the last 10 years have been decline, Rod Petrie and fans being told to calm down.

Great post

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Can't remember anyone saying calm down after we were relegated?

superfurryhibby
09-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Can't remember anyone saying calm down after we were relegated?

What is the point?

Can you enlighten us as to your views, as all you seem to want to do is take the pesh out of others who at least state what they believe.

An earlier post said that we had lost 16 out of 37 games in this league since relegation. For me that is staggering, embarrassing and simply not good enough. Can you say why you think it's ok?

My_Wife_Camille
09-08-2015, 09:20 AM
You've identified a pattern, obviously. The equally obvious question is, So why is anyone surprised and outraged when we lose a season opener?
Surprised? No. Outraged? Well that's 'Obvious', as you put it.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 09:23 AM
What is the point?

Can you enlighten us as to your views, as all you seem to want to do is take the pesh out of others who at least state what they believe.

An earlier post said that we had lost 16 out of 37 games in this league since relegation. For me that is staggering, embarrassing and simply not good enough. Can you say why you think it's ok?

Awful lot of precious wee souls on here, that seem to be embarrassed when we lose a game.... Not really worth my while debating with those that want to chuck towel in early doors....

stantonhibby
09-08-2015, 09:32 AM
What is the point?

Not quite... 16 games we have failed to win apparently. Helps if you read the post before you go for the hyperbole overload.

My_Wife_Camille
09-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Awful lot of precious wee souls on here, that seem to be embarrassed when we lose a game.... Not really worth my while debating with those that want to chuck towel in early doors....
That's my point, it's not early doors and it's not just the reaction to losing one game. It's yet another blow nearly 10 years into a state of constant decline which has left us in the 2nd tier of Scottish Football for a second season. We are literally experiencing the lowest period of the clubs history right now and it's not good.

My_Wife_Camille
09-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Not quite... 16 games we have failed to win apparently. Helps if you read the post before you go for the hyperbole overload.
Yeah he read the post wrong but it's still a valid point. Dropping points in 16 out of 37 games in the championship is pretty awful, I'm sure you would agree.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 09:37 AM
That's my point, it's not early doors and it's not just the reaction to losing one game. It's yet another blow nearly 10 years into a state of constant decline which has left us in the 2nd tier of Scottish Football for a second season. We are literally experiencing the lowest period of the clubs history right now and it's not good.

Do you think it won't improve?

superfurryhibby
09-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Fair point about the number of games, not seeing any other hyperbole though.

My point was about the way some folk think it's ok to rip anyone who dissents, yet rarely seem to have any answer beyond that they are right?

Failure to win games is rather fundamental to why folk are hacked off, no?

Oscar T Grouch
09-08-2015, 09:45 AM
The way I see it? It's a game of football, and in all honesty, I was disappointed but it was the first game in a long season. I find it hard to get upset or embarrassed by a game. Yeah we lost to Dumbarton, does it mean the season is over already? No of course not. Does it mean we're a bad team? Some on here would have you believe it, but no we're not a bad team. we will finish this campaign 1st or 2nd because over the course of a whole season our qualities will show.

What do those who are apoplectic after one game, what's your suggestions? Sack the manager? Get rid of LD? Do you not see the changes happening at the club? Did you think that the changes were going to miracliously change us overnight from what we've been over the last few years?

While I am disappointed with yesterday's results, I still see us heading in the right direction, I still see us as one of the best teams in the league. I know most on here don't agree with my assessment but hey ho that's really something I don't care about at all. I try and reserve my indignation for other things that really matter in life and not a game of football.

I'm off to enjoy the rain in Galloway and read my book. TTFN 👋🏼

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 09:48 AM
The way I see it? It's a game of football, and in all honesty, I was disappointed but it was the first game in a long season. I find it hard to get upset or embarrassed by a game. Yeah we lost to Dumbarton, does it mean the season is over already? No of course not. Does it mean we're a bad team? Some on here would have you believe it, but no we're not a bad team. we will finish this campaign 1st or 2nd because over the course of a whole season our qualities will show.

What do those who are apoplectic after one game, what's your suggestions? Sack the manager? Get rid of LD? Do you not see the changes happening at the club? Did you think that the changes were going to miracliously change us overnight from what we've been over the last few years?

While I am disappointed with yesterday's results, I still see us heading in the right direction, I still see us as one of the best teams in the league. I know most on here don't agree with my assessment but hey ho that's really something I don't care about at all. I try and reserve my indignation for other things that really matter in life and not a game of football.

I'm off to enjoy the rain in Galloway and read my book. TTFN 

:top marks:flag:

My_Wife_Camille
09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Of course I think it will improve. But I also thought it would improve under Mixu, Yogi, Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher and it kept getting worse.

Anyway, I think we're going at this at completely different angles. I actually agree with you that the ones writing off our chances of winning the league are doing so a bit early. My point was more that the anger and disgust at yesterday's performance and result is more than justified given the events of the last 8-10 years and cannot be put down to just a knee jerk reaction.

stantonhibby
09-08-2015, 09:49 AM

I'm off to enjoy the rain in Galloway and read my book. TTFN 👋🏼

Far too sensible a post ! Well said.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-08-2015, 09:53 AM
My point was more that the anger and disgust at yesterday's performance and result is more than justified given the events of the last 8-10 years and cannot be put down to just a knee jerk reaction.

Couldnae agree more, although some of the views were a tad extreme. I suppose thats what a forum is for.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Of course I think it will improve. But I also thought it would improve under Mixu, Yogi, Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher and it kept getting worse.

Anyway, I think we're going at this at completely different angles. I actually agree with you that the ones writing off our chances of winning the league are doing so a bit early. My point was more that the anger and disgust at yesterday's performance and result is more than justified given the events of the last 8-10 years and cannot be put down to just a knee jerk reaction.

:aok:

Eyrie
09-08-2015, 10:36 AM

I'm off to enjoy the rain in Galloway and read my book. TTFN 

Good post.

There are more serious problems both in the world and in our individual real lives than Hibs continuing ability to frustrate and disappoint us. That doesn't stop us caring about Hibs but it does provide some perspective.

Thecat23
09-08-2015, 10:59 AM
You must be easily embarrassed

Not really no. But Hibs seem to embarrass themselves often!

mjhibby
09-08-2015, 11:24 AM
And yet if we win our next two games then we will be at least on the same points as the rangers?? Lets not throw the towel in just yet. We have a few players to return and i think we will see another two signings. Still a long long way to go.

While i am as cheesed off as the next guy. just two t hings worry me at the

mjhibby
09-08-2015, 11:34 AM

While i am as cheesed off as the nextguy. just two things worry me at the moment. Our lack of cover in defence. And the number of injuries we have. Until we solve these issues a play off place is the best we can hope for. Not surprised at ydays result with so many either injured or not ready. We will as usual be playing catch up but if we get a fit settled team im confident we can challenge for top spot. Plus sevco aren't likely to do what hertz did last year .

The Leith Dutch
09-08-2015, 11:37 AM

familyman
09-08-2015, 11:54 AM
[
Ok one game, but look at how were are playing and look at the previous 2 games as well!!
Cultural change maybe behind the scenes ,on the park same old attitude..to hard work...as ever you get back what you deserve , except for the fans who get back what exactly?
QUOTE=superfurryhibby;4436202]Fair point about the number of games, not seeing any other hyperbole though.

My point was about the way some folk think it's ok to rip anyone who dissents, yet rarely seem to have any answer beyond that they are right?

Failure to win games is rather fundamental to why folk are hacked off, no?[/QUOTE]

PeeJay
09-08-2015, 12:01 PM
The way I see it? It's a game of football, and in all honesty, I was disappointed but it was the first game in a long season. I find it hard to get upset or embarrassed by a game. Yeah we lost to Dumbarton, does it mean the season is over already? ...

Well, actually it's the 2nd competitive game of the season - we got gubbed 2-6 at home to a new Rangers outfit.

The point is not that the season is over, the point is the Club/players/manager/coaching staff do not seem to realise that the season has actually started ... enjoy your book and the rain ... :greengrin

emerald green
09-08-2015, 12:10 PM

its ONE game into the season ffs.

The bit in bold. So that's OK then? Unremitting misery! Hibs fans have no right to express any displeasure about that fact? Or should they just bury their heads in the sand and kid on they are happy with this?

It may be one game into the season, but yesterdays result was simply the latest in a long line of disappointing, and very damaging, results for Hibernian FC and their long suffering supporters.

I "remember" what club I support alright. Results like yesterdays mean that there are going to be fewer and fewer of us doing that.

Keith_M
09-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Fitness
La Manga
Signing Crocks
Stubbs

It's nice you're trying to remain positive but the fact is we have already lost two competitive games out of three, the only win against a team from two leagues below.

We started badly last season, due to lack of preparation and lack of time to sort the team. We all presumed this would not be an issue this season, as the management has been in place for the whole summer, but it appears that history is repeating itself.

We do have new signings but not one of them were ready to start immediately, due to injury or fitness concerns. Those injury concerns include new signings (Keatings) and current players (e.g. Farid)

If we want to win the league this season, then losing to Dumbarton is completely unacceptable. One poster stated that on the Match Thread yesterday and was attacked for it by a number of posters, but he was right, so I'm going to repeat for emphasis and stick to this view...

If we want to win the league this season, then losing to Dumbarton is completely unacceptable

Lago
09-08-2015, 12:54 PM
You do have to wonder if it will, as I said on another post this is like the continuation of last seaso rather than the start of a new and hopefully better season. And the reason for some precious people posting is because like me they care!

Lago
09-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Ive been going to ER since i was 6, 24 yrs a season ticket holder and I Love My Club,unconditionally. I've seen the great the good, bad and downright ugly, but i will never stop going. I have hospitality booked for the Morton game and I'm bringing two guys who've never been to a football game in their lives. I will be proud to welcome them into our stadium, and I'm looking forward to the game. I know we have problems which go back years and years, but i think we all need to pull together and support the team. If we are on their backs from the first minute on saturday, you can be sure there will be no improved performances. I understand the frustration and anger of many of the posters but please lets just get behind the team and the club, and hope that we can start to see some light at the end of the tunnel(which seems to be a bloody long tunnel!).
Make sure you give the 2 guys plenty of strong drink before kick off.:greengrin

Kojock
09-08-2015, 01:07 PM

It wasn't the fact we got beat yesterday it was the manner in which we lost. I saw nothing yesterday to suggest it will improve anytime soon.

emerald green
09-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Ive been going to ER since i was 6, 24 yrs a season ticket holder and I Love My Club,unconditionally. I've seen the great the good, bad and downright ugly, but i will never stop going. I have hospitality booked for the Morton game and I'm bringing two guys who've never been to a football game in their lives.

Everything will be just fine then. Hope they/you enjoy the game. :greengrin

Real Emerald
09-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Ive been going to ER since i was 6, 24 yrs a season ticket holder and I Love My Club,unconditionally. I've seen the great the good, bad and downright ugly, but i will never stop going. I have hospitality booked for the Morton game and I'm bringing two guys who've never been to a football game in their lives. I will be proud to welcome them into our stadium, and I'm looking forward to the game. I know we have problems which go back years and years, but i think we all need to pull together and support the team. If we are on their backs from the first minute on saturday, you can be sure there will be no improved performances. I understand the frustration and anger of many of the posters but please lets just get behind the team and the club, and hope that we can start to see some light at the end of the tunnel(which seems to be a bloody long tunnel!).

I'm a life long supporter and long time season ticket holder too and always go along to support and encourage my team. However, this is a fans forum where people discuss the fortunes of our club and right now there is surely no surprise that other lifelong fans are extremely worried and pissed off with the latest in a long line of setbacks. Discussing it and showing concern doesn't mean we will be any less behind our team on Saturday.

Real Emerald
09-08-2015, 01:25 PM
NO i completely agree with you and i was in no way trying to suggest otherwise, i was merely giving my thoughts and hopes for the Morton game specifically, and the season in general. I joined the forums to have just such discussions and to read other folks opinions. I also have the fears and worries of many of the other posters, however i was just trying to give my perspective. If i offended anyone then i apologise.

No offence taken. I just don't think that it should be assumed that having a moan on here means you start out to slate the team from the kick of in the next game. It's much better to vent the frustration on here rather than at the players in a game, so I agree with your point but just wanted to clarify my position.

Lucius Apuleius
09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Positives where we can find them.This time last season certain people were saying we were that bad we could be relegated again.Not seen anybody saying that yet.

Oscar T Grouch
09-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Well, actually it's the 2nd competitive game of the season - we got gubbed 2-6 at home to a new Rangers outfit.

The point is not that the season is over, the point is the Club/players/manager/coaching staff do not seem to realise that the season has actually started ... enjoy your book and the rain ... :greengrin

Like I said I think we will be in the top two come the end of the season. I have been supporting us long enough to know about bad starts 😜
Rains off now but next doors bull hasn't shut up all day, sorta making me hungry for steak 😈
Excellent book too, the Klemperer Diaries 1933-45, well worth a read. 👍🏻

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Positives where we can find them.This time last season certain people were saying we were that bad we could be relegated again.Not seen anybody saying that yet.

Yep and we finished above Rangers.

Keith_M
09-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Yep and we finished above Rangers.

Apparently a very different Rangers to this year, though.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Apparently a very different Rangers to this year, though.

A very different Hibs side too when we actually get them on the pitch.

PeeJay
09-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Like I said I think we will be in the top two come the end of the season. I have been supporting us long enough to know about bad starts 
Rains off now but next doors bull hasn't shut up all day, sorta making me hungry for steak 
Excellent book too, the Klemperer Diaries 1933-45, well worth a read. 

Great choice of book, read that a few years back, and German television actually made a decent series on it too ...

It's almost 40 C over here, some rain would be quite welcome now ...

.... our game at Ibrox should show us if this limp start is just a blip on the path to promotion

Keith_M
09-08-2015, 05:25 PM

I certainly hope so.

:wink:

tamig
09-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Exactly. Far too many losers around here.

Thecat23
09-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Exactly. Far too many losers around here.

Am I a loser for raising issues with the pre season? Or the players we signed being injured? Or the manner in the way we lost yesterday was the same why we lost so many last season? Or the fact our keeper isn't good enough no matter how many folk on here think he is or turns a blind eye to the shocking saves to shot ratio he has?

I've not thrown any towel in, but I am concerned we haven't learned from last seasons failures. Folk think coming second in this league is fine, I don't we should be winning it.

tamig
09-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Am I a loser for raising issues with the pre season? Or the players we signed being injured? Or the manner in the way we lost yesterday was the same why we lost so many last season? Or the fact our keeper isn't good enough no matter how many folk on here think he is or turns a blind eye to the shocking saves to shot ratio he has?

I've not thrown any towel in, but I am concerned we haven't learned from last seasons failures. Folk think coming second in this league is fine, I don't we should be winning it.

Steady. I never named names but there are a few folk on the numerous post-yesterday meltdown threads effectively conceding the league already and coming out with all sorts of defeatist pish. They are losers in my book.

HibsMax
09-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I don't think people should be calming down, but I think it's too early to reach for the razor blades. We shouldn't be accepting a season open loss again Dumbarton, not if we have any aspirations for the future. It's not the end of the season but it sets the tone. How will this one result affect the next five? A great away win would be a confidence boost and a positive start to the season. Now some fans are already pissed off (and I don't blame them).

What really matters is how the team deals with this and how they perform over the next couple of matches. If this is really nothing to worry about, it will be nothing more than a poor start to an otherwise great season. But if this is the start of a slippery slope, I think we'll find more and more fans starting to panic.

silverhibee
09-08-2015, 07:08 PM

That's the worry.

Ronniekirk
09-08-2015, 07:10 PM

I share a lot of your concerns but wasn't at the game yesterday so not as raw as you but still pissed off
But we ain't going to resolve all these issues , only Stubbs his back room team and the players can with se new signings that hopefully aren't just squad players

I won't be using this result to avoid going next week but equally I won't just post positive posts for the sake of it
As always opinion gets polarised into two camps and as always the truth is in between the two .Will see what changes Stubbs makes for Mortpn game ,and hope some injured players get some more game time off the bench .But think the injury situation means it could be a few weeks yet before we have our best eleven on the pitch and Farid will be even longer So I think we just have to hang in there just now and see where we are at the end of August
But I can't believe anyone expected us to get beat yesterday before the game started and by all accounts it was a collective off day with some having very poor games .It wasn't the start we were led to believe we would make ,but it is now time to start moving on to the next game Moan The Hibees

ancient hibee
09-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Not being at the game makes comment difficult but here goes anyway:greengrin:greengrin

At the Rangers game the vital goal was the first from a free kick-we were in control at the time-it was so obvious what was going to happen as we formed what must be the smallest wall in Scottish football-it was like 4 of the 7 dwarves and the wicked witch came along and banged the ball over the top of them-was it the same yesterday?

Defending in this division is abysmal.Last season when we came up against(in most games) two lines of four it was pointless playing the ball back and forwards around halfway-first because we were never going to draw anyone out and second it gave the opposition time to form up. We should have been getting the ball in early-catching them turning-or playing it wide at pace-we seemed unable to do either of these-we never seemed prepared to make one pass if we could make half a dozen-shooting from outside the box was a complete no-no.All defenders know that the easiest team to play against is the one that plays in front of you all the time-that I'm afraid was us.I thought that these were our biggest faults last season and expected to see them rectified.Have they been?Perhaps the new players when fit will change the method but if we are playing the same old way I'm disappointed in the coaching staff.

Lago
09-08-2015, 07:12 PM

Your spot on, its time we got angry to many just accept mediocrity.

Big L
09-08-2015, 07:15 PM
I think we are to open, I would like to see us playing a 4-2-3-1. I think Hanlon had a very good 30 min sitting in front of the back 4 against sevco before it all went sh---y, I have always thought that is his best position, I would like to see him and Bartley together as the holding players, that would give the backs license to get forward, at the moment when they go forward we are exposed!. I also think that the Allan situation is having a very negative affect and we should punt him!

tamig
09-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I think we are to open, I would like to see us playing a 4-2-3-1. I think Hanlon had a very good 30 min sitting in front of the back 4 against sevco before it all went sh---y, I have always thought that is his best position, I would like to see him and Bartley together as the holding players, that would give the backs license to get forward, at the moment when they go forward we are exposed!. I also think that the Allan situation is having a very negative affect and we should punt him!

I would still question why anyone would think we need two holding midfielders in this league.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Get angry, what do you suggest, open letters, storming the reception?

Big L
09-08-2015, 07:28 PM
I would still question why anyone would think we need two holding midfielders in this league.
My thinking is that we either do that or get a new back 4 ( wheres the dosh coming from) the current lot weren't good enough last year and they haven't improved, that plus a goalkeeper who in my opinion is *****, he was ***** last year as well! We need to tighten it up IMO.

renato
09-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Not being at the game makes comment difficult but here goes anyway:greengrin:greengrin

At the Rangers game the vital goal was the first from a free kick-we were in control at the time-it was so obvious what was going to happen as we formed what must be the smallest wall in Scottish football-it was like 4 of the 7 dwarves and the wicked witch came along and banged the ball over the top of them-was it the same yesterday?

Defending in this division is abysmal.Last season when we came up against(in most games) two lines of four it was pointless playing the ball back and forwards around halfway-first because we were never going to draw anyone out and second it gave the opposition time to form up. We should have been getting the ball in early-catching them turning-or playing it wide at pace-we seemed unable to do either of these-we never seemed prepared to make one pass if we could make half a dozen-shooting from outside the box was a complete no-no.All defenders know that the easiest team to play against is the one that plays in front of you all the time-that I'm afraid was us.I thought that these were our biggest faults last season and expected to see them rectified.Have they been?Perhaps the new players when fit will change the method but if we are playing the same old way I'm disappointed in the coaching staff.

Good post, agree with all of this. Probably the umpteenth person saying this for the umpteenth time....pace, width and intensity, key to blowing these defensive and stuffy teams away.

Kojock
09-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Get angry, what do you suggest, open letters, storming the reception?

You tell us. You seem to be the guy in the know. You were in La Manga and your big mate is a fans rep. Tell us what is happening to make you so confident that we will fare any better than we did last season.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 08:04 PM
You tell us. You seem to be the guy in the know. You were in La Manga and your big mate is a fans rep. Tell us what is happening to make you so confident that we will fare any better than we did last season.

Eh no.......

Kojock
09-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Eh no.......

To what part? Your not in the know or your not prepared to tell us what you know.

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Get angry?, you should try enjoying the day out at the football for a change. What exactly does getting angry achieve ?

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 08:18 PM
To what part? Your not in the know or your not prepared to tell us what you know.

I have made my feelings known on various other threads. I am not repeating myself, and I am not in the know either...............

Kojock
09-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Get angry?, you should try enjoying the day out at the football for a change. What exactly does getting angry achieve ?

I saw Willie Gibson getting angry yesterday and his performance and attitude was better than anyone playing for us.

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 08:22 PM
I saw Willie Gibson getting angry yesterday and his performance and attitude was better than anyone playing for us.

What has that got to do with fans getting angry ?? People getting angry kills the atmosphere and makes it poisonous for everyone around them. A bit of life perspective wouldn't go a miss

Kojock
09-08-2015, 08:26 PM
What has that got to do with fans getting angry ?? People getting angry kills the atmosphere and makes it poisonous for everyone around them. A bit of life perspective wouldn't go a miss

You asked what getting angry achieved and I answered you. You didn't specify fans or players.

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 08:28 PM
You asked what getting angry achieved and I answered you. You didn't specify fans or players.

I'm sure the poster who posted the comment was talking about the fans getting angry..........Hence his not accepting mediocrity comment afterwards

Kojock
09-08-2015, 08:29 PM
I have made my feelings known on various other threads. I am not repeating myself, and I am not in the know either...............

Well the tone of your postings suggest that you have an angle on things happening at ER

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Well the tone of your postings suggest that you have an angle on things happening at ER

You seem to "know" me, but I have no idea who you are.....The thing is with writing, is that it can be easily taken the wrong way, misinterpreted....

HoboHarry
10-08-2015, 02:42 AM
So tell me, if your child were to fail an exam, would you get angry and shout and bawl abuse at the child or help them work through whatever issue was causing them to fail?

HibeeHutch
10-08-2015, 04:05 AM
First game of the season 1998/99 Hibs 1 Stranraer 2. Bad start but good season.

Pete
10-08-2015, 04:06 AM
...accept mediocrity.

Aaaargh....One game in!!'

Instant bannings for use of this phrase is the way forward. :-)

HFC 0-7
10-08-2015, 06:58 AM
So tell me, if your child were to fail an exam, would you get angry and shout and bawl abuse at the child or help them work through whatever issue was causing them to fail?

Hobs have been failing exams now for so long now they must be in their forties! They are no child now. Rubbish comparison!

The Leith Dutch
10-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Aaaargh....One game in!!'

Instant bannings for use of this phrase is the way forward. :-)

Yes please. One of the weakest arguments around.

Don't want the entire first team hung from the lamp posts every time we lose a game?
You obviously accept mediocrity.

Septimus
10-08-2015, 07:16 AM

No. I would have ensured that the child had prepared as well as possible to meet the challenge of the examination.

I watch my Hibs on Hibs TV. So therefore I have seen the Rangers and Montrose games. In both of these matches the team looked lethargic and unprepared. From what I have read this lethargy seems to have been carried forward to Dumbarton.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Don't want the entire first team hung from the lamp posts every time we lose a game?
You obviously accept mediocrity.

I've told you a million times, stop exagerating!

Keith_M
10-08-2015, 08:50 AM

lord bunberry
10-08-2015, 08:57 AM
It's nice you're trying to remain positive but the fact is we have already lost two competitive games out of three, the only win against a team from two leagues below.

We started badly last season, due to lack of preparation and lack of time to sort the team. We all presumed this would not be an issue this season, as the management has been in place for the whole summer, but it appears that history is repeating itself.

We do have new signings but not one of them were ready to start immediately, due to injury or fitness concerns. Those injury concerns include new signings (Keatings) and current players (e.g. Farid)

If we want to win the league this season, then losing to Dumbarton is completely unacceptable. One poster stated that on the Match Thread yesterday and was attacked for it by a number of posters, but he was right, so I'm going to repeat for emphasis and stick to this view...

If we want to win the league this season, then losing to Dumbarton is completely unacceptable
It may be unacceptable, but it doesn't mean we can't win the league.

Andy74
10-08-2015, 09:13 AM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/fans-extrapolate-whole-season-from-first-game-20150810100941

CockneyRebel
10-08-2015, 09:43 AM
I share a lot of your concerns but wasn't at the game yesterday so not as raw as you but still pissed off
But we ain't going to resolve all these issues , only Stubbs his back room team and the players can with se new signings that hopefully aren't just squad players

I won't be using this result to avoid going next week but equally I won't just post positive posts for the sake of it
As always opinion gets polarised into two camps and as always the truth is in between the two .Will see what changes Stubbs makes for Mortpn game ,and hope some injured players get some more game time off the bench .But think the injury situation means it could be a few weeks yet before we have our best eleven on the pitch and Farid will be even longer So I think we just have to hang in there just now and see where we are at the end of August
But I can't believe anyone expected us to get beat yesterday before the game started and by all accounts it was a collective off day with some having very poor games .It wasn't the start we were led to believe we would make ,but it is now time to start moving on to the next game Moan The Hibees

My concern is that, when/if we get our best eleven on the park, it appears that the back up players are not up to the job and with our track record it ain't likely that we will see out the season injury free.

Ronniekirk
10-08-2015, 09:51 AM
My concern is that, when/if we get our best eleven on the park, it appears that the back up players are not up to the job and with our track record it ain't likely that we will see out the season injury free.

I think it's fairly clear already we won't see out the season injury free ,but I don't think we could of anticipated the number of injuries especially the new players this early in the season ,and that's going to hamper us going to ibrox no question about that

HFC 0-7
10-08-2015, 10:04 AM
I think it's fairly clear already we won't see out the season injury free ,but I don't think we could of anticipated the number of injuries especially the new players this early in the season ,and that's going to hamper us going to ibrox no question about that

There is also the issue that the back four plus the goal keeper that started against Dumbarton are probably our strongest. The injuries are not effecting that part of our team really and yet it is very weak!

The Leith Dutch
10-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Totally agree - we have 7 senior attacking players (Farid, Cummings, Malonga, Keatings, Boyle, Allan & Carmichael) of which 4 are either injured or just coming back like Boyle. Add to that the fact that Allan has been benched for major parts of the first two games.

I think you could say having that level of injuries and unavailability concentrated in a particular area of the team is something that, with our squad size/composition, we can't sustain.

It's a bit of a double edged sword too - aside from not having the players to choose from there also aren't the players pushing those in possession of the jersey.
Not criticising Malonga or Cummings but it would surely benefit them having Farid and Keatings pushing hard for selection.

hibsbollah
10-08-2015, 10:39 AM
So that's OK then? Unremitting misery! Hibs fans have no right to express any displeasure about that fact? Or should they just bury their heads in the sand and kid on they are happy with this?

Eh, no. I wasn't saying this at any point. And I think you know that.

NAE NOOKIE
10-08-2015, 11:19 AM
I am trying to calm down, but that's quite hard to do when the nightmare scenario that faces us in the next 2 games comes into play. Morton got a draw with Falkirk at the weekend, a team we all agree is probably the 3rd or 4th best in the league. If they get a draw against us on Saturday ( a loss is inconceivable ) and we lose at Ibrox a week later ( as things stand a real possibility ) then 3 games in we will almost certainly be 8 points and who knows how many goals behind the Zombies. If that happens we have to be thinking 2nd ........ but IMO that was something that was always going to be a possibility ...... anybody who seriously thought at the start of the season that the Zombies wouldn't be a tougher prospect than last season is incredibly naïve. For me, taking the long view, the one possibility that gives me hope is that unlike the Zombies the likelihood is that if we make the play off final we wont have to face as tough a prospect as Motherwell turned out to be for them. Its more likely that we will face a team in free fall .................. That being said, we must be prepared for a tough battle. Tell you what though, too many results like Saturday and 2nd is gonna be a push. Is the league lost? ..... no. ....... Will it be lost of we don't start showing a bit of guts, character and not least of all inventiveness? ... yes.

Cauld Bovril
10-08-2015, 11:32 AM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/fans-extrapolate-whole-season-from-first-game-20150810100941

:greengrin Saw this earlier and thought of .Net

Diclonius
10-08-2015, 11:41 AM

I was just about to post the exact same thing!

emerald green
10-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Eh, no. I wasn't saying this at any point. And I think you know that.

Not really. So what were you saying? :confused:

Bad Martini
10-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle of the polarised thinking.

Whilst it's never to early to start thinking about the options and work out what needs doing and actually do it (notice I didnt use the panic word), it is one game....

The truth lies in the middle. One bad game can lead to two. Equally one game is one game.

The next game will test our strength. We do need to win it. But lets no be stupid here; the rangers ARE pish. They WILL drop points too. As I said, somewhere in the middle of the polarised views here I reckon reality lies; we will come good and they will **** it up.....its inevitable. Lets hope that swings our way more quickly than last season as I also believe once we DO get started and confidence starts growing, we should (on paper and in reality) give the huns a good hard time of it....

GGTTH :aok:

HappyHanlon
10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
First game of the season 1998/99 Hibs 1 Stranraer 2. Bad start but good season.

I think the opposition is a lot stronger and we don't have a Latapy or Sauzee type of player to call upon.

Smartie
10-08-2015, 04:32 PM
I think the opposition is a lot stronger and we don't have a Latapy or Sauzee type of player to call upon.

The importance of Paatelainen to that team is often underestimated.

Our fortunes turned as soon as big Mixu showed up.

Northernhibee
10-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Broken Gnome
11-08-2015, 08:12 AM

I was JUST going to post that.

Though twelve odd hours late is a lifetime in internet terms.

Andy74
11-08-2015, 10:27 AM
I was JUST going to post that.

Though twelve odd hours late is a lifetime in internet terms.

Ahem. Nearer 24 for the original post on this thread. :wink:

Broken Gnome
11-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Ahem. Nearer 24 for the original post on this thread. :wink:

Reading every post on a thread and not just jumping on the most recent thing you see is fanciful nonsense.