PDA

View Full Version : Motd

Lago
08-08-2015, 09:36 PM
On a depressing day for hibs fans there is a bright side, MOTD is back, big grounds, big crowds, real grass and good skilful football:agree:

Alfred E Newman
08-08-2015, 09:38 PM
On a depressing day for hibs fans there is a bright side, MOTD is back, big grounds, big crowds, real grass and good skilful football:agree:

Not interested.

Tricla
08-08-2015, 09:59 PM

English fitba. Bothered.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2015, 10:08 PM
They laugh at the Scottish league for being predictable yet everyone already knows who their top 4 is going to be.

keep the faith
08-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Fake league completely owned and dictated by sky tv featuring mercenaries who can't get a game in Spain with no loyalties whatsoever.
I know loads who live for MOTD and the EPL and scoff at our own game.

If more swapped their sky subscriptions for attending Scottish football we would have a better quality more attractive product.
Give me the Scottish game every day of the week.

KWJ
08-08-2015, 10:39 PM
They laugh at the Scottish league for being predictable yet everyone already knows who their top 4 is going to be.

Most interesting it's been for a while I think.

Or I've just bought into the hype which they are incredibly good at building. It's the best marketed league in the world and the fans get right behind it, something we've never learned and I doubt we ever will on mass.

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Fake league completely owned and dictated by sky tv featuring mercenaries who can't get a game in Spain with no loyalties whatsoever.
I know loads who live for MOTD and the EPL and scoff at our own game.

If more swapped their sky subscriptions for attending Scottish football we would have a better quality more attractive product.
Give me the Scottish game every day of the week.Yeah, you'd never catch Real Madrid or Barcelona signing anyone from England. Except from Suarez, Ronaldo, Fabregas, Alonso, Bale, Mascherano, Pique, Vermaelem and Modric. I'm sorry but you're a moron if you think the premier leagues top players wouldn't get a game in Spain.

keep the faith
08-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Yeah, you'd never catch Real Madrid or Barcelona signing anyone from England. Except from Suarez, Ronaldo, Fabregas, Alonso, Bale, Mascherano, Pique, Vermaelem and Modric. I'm sorry but you're a moron if you think the premier leagues top players wouldn't get a game in Spain.

Was not quoting an actual stat mate. Just making a wild generalization around the (IMO) overrated EPL and the damage the love in at the expense of Scottish football is doing to our game.
Moron is a little harsh I think.

keep the faith
08-08-2015, 10:50 PM

Or I've just bought into the hype which they are incredibly good at building. It's the best marketed league in the world and the fans get right behind it, something we've never learned and I doubt we ever will on mass.

Great point. Until Scottish football (media and fans) learn to love and big up our game we will never see a return to its former heights.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2015, 11:05 PM

BBC experts all predict Chelse will win it and the other top 4 teams will be arsenal, Man U and Man City. Pretty predictable. There'll be a bit of excitement at the bottom before Bournemouth and Watford are relegated with one other.

The excitement must be for the UEFA cup places (that none of the teams really want to qualify for)?

Scouse Hibee
08-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Call it over rated, fake league or whatever you want to call it but if you're a football fan like me MOTD is entertaining and far better than the Scottish dross I have adopted to watch.

SlickShoes
08-08-2015, 11:24 PM
I enjoy watching English football, I also enjoy going to see hibs. Amazing that folk can like more than one thing.

I'm glad all football is back.

KWJ
08-08-2015, 11:33 PM
BBC experts all predict Chelse will win it and the other top 4 teams will be arsenal, Man U and Man City. Pretty predictable. There'll be a bit of excitement at the bottom before Bournemouth and Watford are relegated with one other.

The excitement must be for the UEFA cup places (that none of the teams really want to qualify for)?

Chelsea are the favourites but it's not by a distance like Man U used to be. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/winner

The top 4 will likely be the top 4 again but Liverpool fair upset the odds a couple years ago and almost won the title, Spurs have been in the top 4 too not that long ago and Southampton were up there for a good while last season.

The top 4 is a fifth of the league and the title could go to any of them, I'd say that's more exciting and competitive than most leagues.

I hate defending the EPL.

Sir David Gray
08-08-2015, 11:38 PM
I enjoy watching English football, I also enjoy going to see hibs. Amazing that folk can like more than one thing.

I'm glad all football is back.

So was I until about 15:02 yesterday afternoon! :boo hoo:

Baader
09-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Dont understand why you can't support Hibs and also enjoy watching highlights of England's Premier League. Yes the money is crazy but make no mistake the football on offer is good. Anyone ever seen the bottom clubs in La Liga? Personally I'm interested to see how Alex Neil does with Norwich and wish him well.

DH1875
09-08-2015, 01:22 AM
Dont understand why you can't support Hibs and also enjoy watching highlights of England's Premier League. Yes the money is crazy but make no mistake the football on offer is good. Anyone ever seen the bottom clubs in La Liga? Personally I'm interested to see how Alex Neil does with Norwich and wish him well.

Would take La Liga every and any day of the week over the English prem.

Pete
09-08-2015, 01:30 AM

They're both good in their own way. The four top leagues are like a different sport sometimes and it isn't necessarily healthy.

Steve20
09-08-2015, 04:45 AM
It's the "cool" thing to say that you're not bothered and only interested in Scottish Football. But Scottish Football is humpty. Yes only 4 teams can maybe win the English league but up here, only Celtic will win the Premier and let's be honest, only Rangers are winning the Championship.

HH81
09-08-2015, 06:38 AM

Really? On what basis is the football more exciting?

I guess if you like RM or Barca putting 3 or 4 on teams everyweek you will like it.

The premiership is much more exciting, faster flowing and better games IMO.

Hibby Bairn
09-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Chelsea are the favourites but it's not by a distance like Man U used to be. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/winner

The top 4 will likely be the top 4 again but Liverpool fair upset the odds a couple years ago and almost won the title, Spurs have been in the top 4 too not that long ago and Southampton were up there for a good while last season.

The top 4 is a fifth of the league and the title could go to any of them, I'd say that's more exciting and competitive than most leagues.

I hate defending the EPL.

Arsenal...Arsenal...Arsenal. This is their year.

Thecat23
09-08-2015, 06:53 AM
I really enjoy MOTD. The standard of football is far better and you see some cracking goals. Nothing wrong with supporting Hibs but also appreciating some good football down south.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 06:56 AM
It's the "cool" thing to say that you're not bothered and only interested in Scottish Football. But Scottish Football is humpty. Yes only 4 teams can maybe win the English league but up here, only Celtic will win the Premier and let's be honest, only Rangers are winning the Championship.

No - only 4 teams can finish in the top 4. Less than that can actually win it.

RyeSloan
09-08-2015, 07:38 AM
I enjoy watching English football, I also enjoy going to see hibs. Amazing that folk can like more than one thing. I'm glad all football is back.

Exactly. Although you've maybe taken it a bit far to suggest that you actually enjoy going to see Hibs ;-)

SlickShoes
09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Exactly. Although you've maybe taken it a bit far to suggest that you actually enjoy going to see Hibs ;-)

I've not been this season yet haha, will see what my opinion is after the Morton game...

Eyrie
09-08-2015, 10:10 AM
I watch the big games from down south and see some good matches and some dross. I long ago gave up on watching Scottish football unless Hibs are involved.

Jdawg
09-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Pundits on motd are awful along with GL's cheesy lines. No insight, Shearer especially.

From the commentary, how many times do they say "you dont get that much time in the PL" about the newly promoted teams. While it is is true, did you see the state of Sunderland's defending.

matty_f
09-08-2015, 10:32 AM
No - only 4 teams can finish in the top 4. Less than that can actually win it.

Luckily it appears it's only Scottish football where the league is decided after one game, and the winners aren't even the ones at the top of those leagues after that game.

GreenLake
09-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I enjoy watching the EPL and it is my favorite league but Hibs are my favorite team and whoever they play in whatever competition becomes the most important match at the time.

Baader
09-08-2015, 10:47 AM

No denying its a good league but it basically consists of Real Madrid and Barca hammering every other club bar about 2 until they meet each other. Bottom clubs never beat the top ones so there are very few upsets with everything stacked in favour of the big two. Reminds me of how football used to be somehere else actually...

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2015, 10:47 AM
I was at Everton v Watford yesterday ..... it was actually quite clever the way MotD managed to make 10 minutes of reasonably exciting highlights out of what was a pretty poor game of football ... a funny thing to say about a 2 - 2 draw, but at times it was boring, its hard to believe some of these players are on £50K a week. That was my 3rd visit to Goodison, the nicest thing to say about it is that its quaint ..... ER is much nicer. ...... special mention to the Watford fans who were tremendous. Did anybody see Channel 5s effort with their Championship coverage? what a mess ... it made Sportscene look like its directed by Steven Spielberg. .......................... My ticket for Everton was £44 :bitchy:

jdships
09-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Call it over rated, fake league or whatever you want to call it but if you're a football fan like me MOTD is entertaining and far better than the Scottish dross I have adopted to watch.

Got to agree with you there !
I took BT Sport last year and am able to watch games from a number of countries , world wide , and have to say am not totally convinced that EPL is that great in terms of entertainment .:greengrin

bingo70
09-08-2015, 11:00 AM
I rarely enjoy watching a premiership game but I enjoy motd when I catch it on.

I can't really be arsed with English football as it seems just like a big game of fantasy football for the rich, the stadiums all being the same abd lacking character is a turn off for me as well, basically I see most clubs as being the same down south in the premiership, I probably enjoy watching their championship more.

All that said when my boy is old enough to start going to games If Hibs haven't got their act together by then I can see him taking more of an interest in English football so will probably start to consider going to the odd game then. Pretty depressing thought thinking of him having a passing interest in hibs but supporting someone like Newcastle though.

stantonhibby
09-08-2015, 11:04 AM
I was at Everton v Watford yesterday ..... it was actually quite clever the way MotD managed to make 10 minutes of reasonably exciting highlights out of what was a pretty poor game of football ... a funny thing to say about a 2 - 2 draw, but at times it was boring, its hard to believe some of these players are on £50K a week. That was my 3rd visit to Goodison, the nicest thing to say about it is that its quaint ..... ER is much nicer. ...... special mention to the Watford fans who were tremendous. Did anybody see Channel 5s effort with their Championship coverage? what a mess ... it made Sportscene look like its directed by Steven Spielberg. .......................... My ticket for Everton was £44 :bitchy:

I caught some of that football league show last night....didn't realise it had moved from BBC1 after MOTD. Agree with your thoughts.....whilst the presenters were OK the format of having these random fans standing about staring blankly into the camera doesn't work and reminded me of the abomination that was Scotsport back in the day with Sarah O presenting. Clearly C5 thought they needed to try something different but much like the Wimbledon highlights programme this year won't be surprised if the 'extras' are ditched soon!

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
I caught some of that football league show last night....didn't realise it had moved from BBC1 after MOTD. Agree with your thoughts.....whilst the presenters were OK the format of having these random fans standing about staring blankly into the camera doesn't work and reminded me of the abomination that was Scotsport back in the day with Sarah O presenting. Clearly C5 thought they needed to try something different but much like the Wimbledon highlights programme this year won't be surprised if the 'extras' are ditched soon!
Yeh, it was like a blast from the past lol. Interestingly the guy driving my taxi on the way to the game said he would like to see the bigger Scottish clubs like the OF and us playing in a British league, he was surprised it has never happened.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Yeh, it was like a blast from the past lol. Interestingly the guy driving my taxi on the way to the game said he would like to see the bigger Scottish clubs like the OF and us playing in a British league, he was surprised it has never happened.

Sounds like he was fishing for a bigger tip! :-)

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Sounds like he was fishing for a bigger tip! :-)

Could be .... he was the one who brought it up :greengrin

Lago
09-08-2015, 12:38 PM
I really enjoy MOTD. The standard of football is far better and you see some cracking goals. Nothing wrong with supporting Hibs but also appreciating some good football down south.
Totally agree. Sat and watched some really entertaining football last night, also some less than inspiring defending, but overall I enjoy motd. For those who dislike the pundits do what I do, mute the tv and go on hibs net:greengrin

emerald green
09-08-2015, 01:25 PM

Everyone knows who our top ONE is going to be (for the 5th year in a row possibly, and however many more seasons thereafter). Now that is boring.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Everyone knows who our top ONE is going to be (for the 5th year in a row possibly, and however many more seasons thereafter). Now that is boring.

Every BBC pundit predicted Chelsea would win the league this year.

Carheenlea
09-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Football in general doesn't interest me at all these days. Enjoy following Hibs at home and on the road, and I'm an armchair Scotland fan, and that's as far as my footballing interests stretch.

Jdawg
09-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Totally agree. Sat and watched some really entertaining football last night, also some less than inspiring defending, but overall I enjoy motd. For those who dislike the pundits do what I do, mute the tv and go on hibs net:greengrin

Id rather stomach the pundits than read suicidle posts on here for 80mims following a hibs defeat.

emerald green
09-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Every BBC pundit predicted Chelsea would win the league this year.

So what? Doesn't mean they will. I note Chelsea drew at home to Swansea yesterday. Chelsea will have realistic competition from Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, and potentially one or two more like Liverpool and maybe Southampton.

Realistic competition for the title is not something Celtic will have IMO.

Lago
09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Id rather stomach the pundits than read suicidle posts on here for 80mims following a hibs defeat.
Yip it was pretty depressing last night, kept sane by laughing at Gary's silly wee beard.

Pretty Boy
09-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Football in general doesn't interest me at all these days. Enjoy following Hibs at home and on the road, and I'm an armchair Scotland fan, and that's as far as my footballing interests stretch.

Same for me really.

Follow Hibs religiously, try to get to a Newcastle game if Hibs aren't playing and that's about it.

I can't remember the last full game I watched on TV. I had MOTD on last night and lasted 15 minutes before watching a documentary about Everest on Netflix. Football, Hibs excepted, just bores me now. I'd go as far as to say if it wasn't for Hibs I wouldn't watch or follow football at all.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
So what? Doesn't mean they will. I note Chelsea drew at home to Swansea yesterday. Chelsea will have realistic competition from Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, and potentially one or two more like Liverpool and maybe Southampton.

Realistic competition for the title is not something Celtic will have IMO.

Southampton, Liverpool and probably arsenal are as realistic competition to Chrlsea as Aberdeen are to Celtic.

emerald green
09-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Southampton, Liverpool and probably arsenal are as realistic competition to Chrlsea as Aberdeen are to Celtic.

I disagree. Aberdeen have got no chance of beating Celtic to the title either. It's a one horse race in Scotland ever since the club formerly known as Rangers were liquidated.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 02:58 PM
I disagree. Aberdeen have got no chance of beating Celtic to the title either. It's a one horse race in Scotland ever since the club formerly known as Rangers were liquidated.

I think that was the point he was making.

davidw
09-08-2015, 03:03 PM

Well if you have "adopted" (?) to watch something you consider to be dross, I think that says more about you than anything else. Feel free to go and "adopt" to watch something else rather than slag it off.

As for the OP, if you think the sight of Gary Lineker's smug coupon is going to cheer people up after a day like yesterday, you are not only sadly mistaken, you are from a different planet far far away. An overpaid (from my licence fee) twat introducing an overpaid league, plus lack of insight from the even more overpaid (ditto) Shearer and co. And someone mentioned "dross"?

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Well if you have "adopted" (?) to watch something you consider to be dross, I think that says more about you than anything else. Feel free to go and "adopt" to watch something else rather than slag it off.

As for the OP, if you think the sight of Gary Lineker's smug coupon is going to cheer people up after a day like yesterday, you are not only sadly mistaken, you are from a different planet far far away. An overpaid (from my licence fee) twat introducing an overpaid league, plus lack of insight from the even more overpaid (ditto) Shearer and co. And someone mentioned "dross"?

After paying to watch Hibs for the last 23 years and continuing to do so, if I want to slag it off I will. I support Hibs through thick and thin and will never walk away but it doesn't mean I can't be honest about what is on show. Cheers for the advice though!

Lago
09-08-2015, 03:32 PM
:top marks
After paying to watch Hibs for the last 23 years and continuing to do so, if I want to slag it off I will. I support Hibs through thick and thin and will never walk away but it doesn't mean I can't be honest about what is on show. Cheers for the advice though!

emerald green
09-08-2015, 03:37 PM
I think that was the point he was making.

If so, fair enough.

The point I'm trying to make is that I believe it's a one horse race for the title in Scotland, whereas in England I believe several teams have got a chance of winning it. There's more serious competition.

davidw
09-08-2015, 03:54 PM

Touché. Fair enough.

Lineker's still a twat though...

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 03:55 PM
If so, fair enough.

The point I'm trying to make is that I believe it's a one horse race for the title in Scotland, whereas in England I believe several teams have got a chance of winning it. There's more serious competition.

1 runaway favourite, 2 possible challengers. That's it. We've got 1 runaway favourite with 1 possible challenger.

Jdawg
09-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Switching to sky for a second, Sounesd just said along the lines of if you play predictively then teams work you out and it's easy to play against. Probably sums hibs up at the moment.

Holmesdale Hibs
09-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Arsenal...Arsenal...Arsenal. This is their year.

Oh well. Another season of moaning about never replacing Viera (sp?), having a dodgy defence and trying to pass the ball in to the net it is then.

Lago
09-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Oh well. Another season of moaning about never replacing Viera (sp?), having a dodgy defence and trying to pass the ball in to the net it is then.
Only the first game of the season, calm calm.

emerald green
09-08-2015, 04:20 PM
1 runaway favourite, 2 possible challengers. That's it. We've got 1 runaway favourite with 1 possible challenger.

We'll need to agree to disagree then.

Particularly, there is no serious challenger to Celtic IMHO. Aberdeen might come second, but it will be many points behind the winners, maybe even more than the 17 points they finished behind Celtic last season.

EDIT: How many seasons in a row have Chelsea been champions?

heretoday
09-08-2015, 04:28 PM
A lot depends on Man City this season. They have the players although the defence could do with some additions. I don't know why they are not bidding for Stones along with Chelsea. No top side has a cast iron defence for sure.

My boys Everton will do well to finish in their time-honoured spot - seventh. :rolleyes:

Baader
09-08-2015, 06:53 PM

Gunners defence is good. Only Chelsea and Southampton let in more last season. And with Cech there they should be even better. Coquelin looks like he may finally fill the much lamented Viera role. As for your last point - guilty as charged!!

Perhaps only one player off winning the title. But serious contenders this year.