boyle
allan
mcginn
carmicheal

malonga
keatings

Alfred E Newman
08-08-2015, 09:33 PM
When you look at these line ups they are soft as ****.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Alternatively to add a presence in the middle and a bit width.

Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley
McGinn
Allan

Boyle
Malonga
Harris

Wheat Hound
08-08-2015, 09:37 PM
There is one common denominator with everyone's teams.......Reguero might not be the answer but we need to try someone else in goals.

Andy74
08-08-2015, 09:37 PM
I don't think we've many options with fitness just now and no other defenders at the club.

Start McGinn instead of Allan.

Billy Whizz
08-08-2015, 09:46 PM
We've got a development game on Tuesday (that's if Hibs can be **sed to tell us when it's on), and would expect to see Boyle and Carmichael at least start, and give them some game time

IberianHibernian
08-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Wouldn`t expect Stubbs to know team till Friday or even Saturday since it`ll depend on fitness of half the team and possible arrivals ( MecGeoch would walk into that team IF match fit which I suppose he isn`t ) . Depressingly the defence will probably be the same since we don`t seem to have any alternative . Hopefully rumour of new centre half will be true and he`ll be fit to make debut against Morton allowing Hanlon to move to left back . If not could Crane play ? Would have Harris and Stanton on from the start - they both have a lot to prove but are more talented and motivated than alternatives ( they`ve both proved that on their day they can play in the premiership unlike others who`ve proved they`re good enough for championship at best ) . Up front Malongsa and Cummings ( no alternative who`s match fit ) .

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2015, 09:47 PM
When you look at these line ups they are soft as ****.Yeah, bring back Butcher and his hardmen.

SON OF PADDY
08-08-2015, 09:48 PM
When you look at these line ups they are soft as ****.

Really ?

3pm
08-08-2015, 09:48 PM
I don't think we've many options with fitness just now and no other defenders at the club.

Nonsense.

If he's sold, then maybe...

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Is this boy Reguero good?

Interesting that all the teams above have the same 4 in defence, despite over the last year letting us down time after time.

IberianHibernian
08-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Start McGinn instead of Allan.Agree with this . Should have been done today . Hopefully new arrivals this week will make team selection easier .

dmc1875
08-08-2015, 09:51 PM

Why and how can you not start allan? Still our best player, our play maker, works his socks off and attitude is still fine?

Hes a class act and key for us. He was the only player worth his salt today

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2015, 09:51 PM

Interesting that all the teams above have the same 4 in defence, despite over the last year letting us down time after time.

That's a fair point. Oxley simply has to be dropped, IMHO, but the defence is far too easy to get through also.

Andy74
08-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Nonsense.

If he's sold, then maybe...

Even if he is not. Talented boy but he was like a spoiled kid today. Others thought he played well. I thought he was playing for Scott Allan.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2015, 09:55 PM

Do we have any other options in defence? It's those 4 or untried kids.

Alfred E Newman
08-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Really ?

Yes.

IberianHibernian
08-08-2015, 10:07 PM

Interesting that all the teams above have the same 4 in defence, despite over the last year letting us down time after time.If Reguero wasn`t considered at least as good as Oxley why sign him so soon when there are always lots of goalies available ? As for 4 in defence , is it not because there`s no one else with Forster injured ? Last season Gray and Fontaine were great ( at least at this level ) when fit and Hanlon seemed to have improved beside Fontaine again at this level . Stevenson has been an obvious weak link for several years but is probably okay for this division . The question is , do we have money to sign better defenders to improve promotion chances and form base of team if / when we go up ?

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Do we have any other options in defence? It's those 4 or untried kids.

I suppose I'm trying to make the point (not very well) that Stubbs has made no additions defensively and we are suffering/going to suffer for it.

Also the keeper is now getting all of the blame for the teams defensive frailties.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2015, 10:11 PM
I suppose I'm trying to make the point (not very well) that Stubbs has made no additions defensively and we are suffering/going to suffer for it.

Yep agreed.

We have 5 1st team defenders, 1 of whom is injured. That's not good.

Re the keeper, I've been a defender of Oxley in the past but today was just really poor stuff. As were a couple of the goals v Rangers. If we had other defensive options I'd be calling for changes there as well.

J-C
08-08-2015, 10:17 PM
.........................Reguero.................. ......

Gray...........Hanlon..........Fontaine........Ste venson

........................Bartley................... .........

..........Allan..........................McGinn... ..........

Boyle/Carmichael........................................ .........
......................................malonga..... .............
.........................Cummings................. ................

ronaldo7
08-08-2015, 10:18 PM

Also the keeper is now getting all of the blame for the teams defensive frailties.

The back 5 were garbage today. Bullied off the ball, No final ball when in attacking areas, and terrible at free kicks.

They all have to take pelters tonight imo.

Andy74
08-08-2015, 10:21 PM
.........................Reguero.................. ......

Gray...........Hanlon..........Fontaine........Ste venson

........................Bartley................... .........

..........Allan..........................McGinn... ..........

Boyle/Carmichael........................................ .........
......................................malonga..... .............
.........................Keatings................. ................

I don't think we will see Keatings for a while if he has done his hamstring again.

J-C
08-08-2015, 10:27 PM
I don't think we will see Keatings for a while if he has done his hamstring again.

Oh yea forgot, I'll change it.

Biggie
08-08-2015, 10:29 PM
East stand AA12
West stand B5
West stand F16
FF stand G26
FF stand Upper N22
East stand H21
West stand FF10
West stand K28
FF stand G11
FF stand Upper AA9
East stand AA14
West stand B9
West stand upper C33
FF stand G29
FF stand Upper N29

😀

GreenCastle
08-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Zero competition at the back for places - players undroppable as no competition.

I don't rate Reguero - he's not the solution in goals and there is a reason he didn't make it at other clubs.

high bee
09-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Zero competition at the back for places - players undroppable as no competition.

I don't rate Reguero - he's not the solution in goals and there is a reason he didn't make it at other clubs.

Oxley didnt make it anywhere either and he has had a mare, Reguero may not be the long term answer but he needs a chance to prove himself.

Heisenberg
09-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Crane

McGinn
Fyvie
Allan

Carmichael
Malonga
Cummings

Borderhibbie76
09-08-2015, 07:22 AM
That's a fair point. Oxley simply has to be dropped, IMHO, but the defence is far too easy to get through also.

Oxley needs shown the door..massive mistake re-signing him and I fear it will cost us big time this season. He is woeful!! And I have to say Hanlon was pathetic yesterday...rarely won a 50/50 challenge all day.

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 07:37 AM
I hope we play mginn and Allan central together. I think both would bounce off each other as they might actually see what each other are going to do rather than reach to it

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 07:43 AM
See when Oxley is dropped does Hanlon or Stevenson become the scapegoat? Or is it still Malonga?

Just so I know who I should be moaning about.

BT58
09-08-2015, 07:50 AM
A new goalie. A new Ch.
3 at the back
5 in midfield
2 up top
--------------

Sign McGeough and partner him with McGinn. As SA wants to leave let him come on as a sub
ALL DAY TRAINING FOR 3 MONTHS

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 07:50 AM
See when Oxley is dropped does Hanlon or Stevenson become the scapegoat? Or is it still Malonga?

I have been one of oxleys biggest supporters on here but he was poor yesterday mate. I don't think it has anything to do with scapegoats , it was just obvious where we needed improving at the game

fishybeaver
09-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
McGinn
Allan
Carmichael

Cummings
Malonga

Replace Boyle with Harris (Boyle hasnt kicked a ball for months and shouldn't be rushed) and I think your spot on

Kaiserclem
09-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Reguero

Gray
Crane
Hanlon
Fontaine

Bartley
Fyvie
Allan
McGinn

Cummings
Keatings

Subs: Oxley, Stevenson, Boyle, Carmichael, Malonga, Martin, Stanton

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 08:07 AM
I have been one of oxleys biggest supporters on here but he was poor yesterday mate. I don't think it has anything to do with scapegoats , it was just obvious where we needed improving at the game

It's been coming for ages - he was fortunate Liam Craig was here last year or its have come earlier than now.

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 08:08 AM
I can't see past going three at the back tbh. We need width but I also think all our best players are center mids . so 352 would be how I would go

Reugero/oxley. (I have no idea how good reg is)

Gray. Fountaine Hanlon

Bartley/fyvie

Allan mginn
Boyle carmeichael
Malonga. Cummings

Obviously if all fit . if not maybe Harris wide And possibly Keating's up front.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 08:10 AM
I can't see past going three at the back tbh. We need width but I also think all our best players are center mids . so 352 would be how I would go

Reugero/oxley. (I have no idea how good reg is)

Gray. Fountaine Hanlon

Bartley
fyvie Allan mginn
Boyle carmeichael
Malonga. Cummings

Obviously if all fit . if not maybe Harris wide And possibly Keating's up front.

If we can get away with starting 12 players it's a good shout.

liamh2202
09-08-2015, 08:12 AM
If we can get away with starting 12 players it's a good shout.

Lol I meant fyvie/bartley as they both wanted to sit yesterday

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Lol I meant fyvie/bartley as they both wanted to sit yesterday

:aok:

CorrieHibs
09-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Ruegero
Gray
Crane
Hanlon (because Forster is injured)
Fontain

Boyle
Bartley
Allan
Carmichael

Keatings
Malonga

Gmack7
09-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Reguero

Gray
Crane
Hanlon
Fontaine

Bartley
Fyvie
Allan
McGinn

Cummings
Keatings

Subs: Oxley, Stevenson, Boyle, Carmichael, Malonga, Martin, Stanton

playing 4 CM doesn't work,we need width

malagahibby
09-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Paul Hanlon is hopeless
Really happy when his contract runs out

Kaiserclem
09-08-2015, 08:52 AM
playing 4 CM doesn't work,we need width

I agree but this is a starting 11 for next weekend and the wide players are not fit.

Gmack7
09-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I agree but this is a starting 11 for next weekend and the wide players are not fit.
There was 2 on the bench yesterday an Harris has played already

Kaiserclem
09-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Harris is not good enough IMO and if the other two are match fit then we should play them. but they are not match fit yet surely or he would have played them at some point?

Gmack7
09-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Harris is not good enough IMO and if the other two are match fit then we should play them. but they are not match fit yet surely or he would have played them at some point?

Harris is certainly good enough for the 1st division,AS must have felt the other 2 were fit enough to play even a small part of yesterdays game hence why they were on the bench,they will both be a little further down the fitness road next week

pontius pilate
09-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Reguero

Gary
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley

Boyle
Allan
McGinn
Carmichael

Cummings

Or
Reguero

Gray
Fontain
Hanlon
Crane

Bartley
Stevenson

Allan
McGinn
Fyvie

Cummings/malonga

fishybeaver
09-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Harris is certainly good enough for the 1st division,AS must have felt the other 2 were fit enough to play even a small part of yesterdays game hence why they were on the bench,they will both be a little further down the fitness road next week

What is a slight concern is the level which Carmichael \ Keetings and Boyle to some extent have played at recently, to get out the 1st division you need a SPL quality of player, these guys records would suggest they would struggle in the SPL. As much as Harris has under performed, he played 16 games at a higher level that we are currently playing last year, so I would give him the shout over these 3 rather than risk playing players who aren't 100%. If nowt else at least Harris has an assist to him name so far.

mmmmhibby
09-08-2015, 10:43 AM

I'd have thought "Just not good enough" rather than scapegoat(s) for the above players(except Dom). Scapegoat is a rather draconian term IMO lolol.

The Leith Dutch
09-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Gray Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson
------------Bartley
-----Allan ----------McGinn
Boyle------------------Carmichael
----------Malonga

One holding midfielder.
Allan and McGinn centre creativity.

Boyle and Carmichael can play wide or the former can use his pace centrally while Carmichael comes inside.

Malonga rather than Collins as he can hold the ball up and bring the other attacking midfielders into the game.

The lack of keeper is not a direct comment on Oxley but more the issue that dropping the keeper isn't quite the same as dropping other players.
If Reguero doesn't cut it and Oxley's confidence takes a massive hit from being dropped then we have a big, big problem (though some might argue we already do keeper wise).

Longer term I think we may have to try:

--Forster Fontaine Hanlon
----------Bartley
-------Allan McGinn
Boyle---Malonga---Carmichael
-----Farid Cummings

Possibly Allan and Malonga swap and Fyvie comes in if you need a bit more dig in Centre Mid.

Scooter
09-08-2015, 11:55 AM
------------Bartley
-----Allan ----------McGinn
Boyle------------------Carmichael
----------Malonga

One holding midfielder.
Allan and McGinn centre creativity.

Boyle and Carmichael can play wide or the former can use his pace centrally while Carmichael comes inside.

Malonga rather than Collins as he can hold the ball up and bring the other attacking midfielders into the game.

The lack of keeper is not a direct comment on Oxley but more the issue that dropping the keeper isn't quite the same as dropping other players.
If Reguero doesn't cut it and Oxley's confidence takes a massive hit from being dropped then we have a big, big problem (though some might argue we already do keeper wise).

Longer term I think we may have to try:

--Forster Fontaine Hanlon
----------Bartley
-------Allan McGinn
Boyle---Malonga---Carmichael
-----Farid Cummings

Possibly Allan and Malonga swap and Fyvie comes in if you need a bit more dig in Centre Mid.

Your 1st team is almost exactly the same I was going to post only change is I'd throw Keatings in

Thecat23
09-08-2015, 12:01 PM

Who says Oxley is a scapegoat? He's just a poor keeper! Folk who raised concerns about him re-signing have been proved right.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Who says Oxley is a scapegoat? He's just a poor keeper! Folk who raised concerns about him re-signing have been proved right.

He made one mistake last year and some folk were waiting on him to make another so they could hammer him.

Doesn't mean they're right.

J-C
09-08-2015, 12:10 PM
He made one mistake last year and some folk were waiting on him to make another so they could hammer him.

:greengrin:clapper:

the da
09-08-2015, 12:12 PM
There is one common denominator with everyone's teams.......Reguero might not be the answer but we need to try someone else in goals.

The common denominator regarding failure is stevenson

B.H.F.C
09-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Nonsence. I don't know anybody who 'wants'' him to lose a goal so they can criticise. The fact is that we've lost 8 in 3 games this season with him at fault for at least a couple. That's why he's getting stick.

The Leith Dutch
09-08-2015, 12:24 PM
He's just a poor keeper!

For the record I'm not a huge Oxley fan but - based on last season at least - I'm surprised people think he's a terrible keeper.

More so when I consider some of the crap keepers we've had in goal in recent years.
Yesterday and the Petrofac game aside he's been pretty average although I do think his distribution is very good.

It bemuses me that so many folk focus on the keeper and defence right now.
We're not going to - and never will - sign defenders and a keeper that don't make mistakes.

Our problem yesterday - as it was all last season - is not scoring enough goals:

Conceded last year:
Us: 32 Yams: 26 Sevco: 39
Scored last year:
Us: 70 Yams: 96 Sevco 69

Everything other than the 26 extra goals would suggest a close run competition but instead the points are almost exactly like the goals scored:
Us: 70 Yams 91 Sevco 67

Scoring less than 2 a game against this standard of opposition is where we lost it.

HibsNutter
09-08-2015, 12:26 PM

We don't exactly have many better options, only youngsters who won't have proved themselves better than what we currently have as yet. I'm astonished we haven't strengthened our defence thus far this transfer window.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Nonsence. I don't know anybody who 'wants'' him to lose a goal so they can criticise. The fact is that we've lost 8 in 3 games this season with him at fault for at least a couple. That's why he's getting stick.

I know loads of folk that won't admit it but are quite happy they've been "proved right".

He's to blame for at least a couple of the 8 we've let in yet no one else has had any part!'v the defence is a shambles and was last season - can't pin it all on the keeper.

The Leith Dutch
09-08-2015, 12:31 PM
The common denominator regarding failure is stevenson

I presume you're trolling.

Forget about whether anyone rates or doesn't rate Stevenson surely the simple fact is that our recent failings are not a direct result of being horrendously exposed at Left back?

Or put another way - pick the best left back in World football and sign him for Hibs and I still think we wouldn't have won the league last season or beaten Dumbarton yesterday.

PiemanP
09-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Reguero in for Oxley and Crane in for Stevenson. I can't confess to have seen either play for Hibs, but I really can't see how they could be any worse given Oxley and Stevenson's current form.

The rest of the team is OK personel wise, it's the tempo of the play that needs to change not the players. That said, with a midfield of Allan, Fyvie, Martin and Bartley we have zero width but that will hopefully come when Boyle and Carmichael can haul themselves off the treatment table.

steviehibsleith
09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
This thread makes dreadful reading not criticism of any posts just the reality that next week we will have the same back four and goalkeeper. The only injury we have in a defensive position is Forster who i am not convinced would make a difference even if fit. So AS why the hell is going on we have zip cover for our back four and more importantly there is no competition for any of these places. You have had plenty of time to see this surely we need as most are saying a CH and LB before the transfer window shuts or we can forget the league and by that i mean the playoffs.
A good solid defence from a Hibs team should have no issues whatsoever with part time opposition yet we have consistently conceded week goals . Good teams build on a solid defence we are pish and Hanlon and Stevenson need removing for this too change. Im still backing Stubbs but jesus everyone in Scottish football knows we are soft at the back.

Hibee Ryan
09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
McGinn
Fyvie
Allan

Malonga
Cummings

I like the starting line up but obviously they werent good enough against Dumbarton, we really need to get more runners into the box for crosses, too many times crosses were coming from out wide and we had Malonga and Cummings and that was it up against about 6 Dumbarton bodies. So wouldnt mind seeing this:

Oxley

Gray
Watson (if signed)
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Fyvie
Allan

Malonga
Keatings
Cummings

BT58
09-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Keatings is injured

Franck Stanton
09-08-2015, 02:55 PM
East stand AA12
West stand B5
West stand F16
FF stand G26
FF stand Upper N22
East stand H21
West stand FF10
West stand K28
FF stand G11
FF stand Upper AA9
East stand AA14
West stand B9
West stand upper C33
FF stand G29
FF stand Upper N29

This lot would have given Dumbarton a harder game.

Hibee Ryan
09-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Keatings is injured

Swap him with Carmichael or Boyle then, just someone more willing to get in the box

GreenCastle
09-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Some of these team selections are nonsense.

Carmichael and Boyle have been out for ages - it makes no sense to throw them into the deep end.

It does seem the players fans are picking on are Oxley, Hanlon and Stevenson.

What concerns we is like in preseason we have limited options and every part of the pitch players can play bad and know they won't be dropped.

We lack width and speed and has already been said - we are far too slow on ball and predictable. Teams park the bus and hit us on counter. We need to adapt to this.

Goalkeeper issue - Our 2nd choice isn't good enough

Defenders - can't remember the last left back we signed

Midfield - leadership and more goals / creativity needed

Strikers - Seems teams feel confident playing Cummings and Malonga - no current plan B if either struggle.

2 huge games coming up - pressure is on.

Unseen work
09-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately until the boys that have been out are match fit we have limited options. Either play them early and risk a longer injury or play young inexperienced boys who aren't ready.

Think we will see pretty much the same team, mcginn coming into the starting 11 tho

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2015, 03:31 PM
The common denominator regarding failure is stevensonIndeed, we actually never lost a game in the 130 years before signing him.

bill the hibby
09-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Lack of width and pace in the team is hampering us both in attack and defence. Too narrow to create anything going forward, no help for our full backs when the other team is attacking

Unseen work
09-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Lack of width and pace in the team is hampering us both in attack and defence. Too narrow to create anything going forward, no help for our full backs when the other team is attacking

I think in a way we play so narrow because of how good Scott Allan is.

Because he is brilliant and far too good at this level he creates us a lot of chances in a game. He provides all the attacking opportunities and everything positive goes through him.

If we never had him IMO we would of played with wingers a lot more last season and used their pace to get in behind and create opportunities. Because if we played the diamond without him we would struggle to create IMO.

Why not use both? Every team knows Scotty will get the ball when we are on the attack. If we had wingers who we could ping a quick diagonal too them, miss out the midfield and counter them. It would add variation to our game and be harder to defend. The wingers would also create more room for Allan in the middle as they would be cautious of there pace and not want to commit themselves.

GreenCastle
09-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Agreed playing 4 central midfielders just isn't the way forward - teams crowd he middle and we have zero width.

We desperately need some wide players playing and causing issues in behind.

Happily be more direct to get in behind teams.

3-5-2 worked well last season - if we had another CH we could do this.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Oxley (Don't think Stubbs will drop him)

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Carmichael
Allan
McGinn
Harris (Boyle not fit enough to start)

Malonga
Cummings

Waxy
09-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Carmichael and Boyle have been out for ages - it makes no sense to throw them into the deep end.

What concerns we is like in preseason we have limited options and every part of the pitch players can play bad and know they won't be dropped.

We lack width and speed and has already been said - we are far too slow on ball and predictable. Teams park the bus and hit us on counter. We need to adapt to this.

Defenders - can't remember the last left back we signed

Strikers - Seems teams feel confident playing Cummings and Malonga - no current plan B if either struggle.

2 huge games coming up - pressure is on.If our second choice goalie isn't good enough, why did we give him a contract?

Ronniekirk
09-08-2015, 09:03 PM
If our second choice goalie isn't good enough, why did we give him a contract?

We didn't give Our second choice keeper a chance last year ,and he is now No 1 for Partick Thistle The Spanish guy we have had one decent season for Inverness but had a solid consistent defence in front of him ,after that not sure he had a lot of game time in first teams ,but stand to be corrected as only going by memory

GreenCastle
09-08-2015, 09:28 PM
If our second choice goalie isn't good enough, why did we give him a contract?

Cheap option - simple

The_Horde
09-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Oxley (as reguero isn't any better)

Bartley Hanlon Fontaine

Boyle Fyvie Allan Mcginn Stevenson

Cummings Malongoals

Real Emerald
09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
For the record I'm not a huge Oxley fan but - based on last season at least - I'm surprised people think he's a terrible keeper.

More so when I consider some of the crap keepers we've had in goal in recent years.
Yesterday and the Petrofac game aside he's been pretty average although I do think his distribution is very good.

It bemuses me that so many folk focus on the keeper and defence right now.
We're not going to - and never will - sign defenders and a keeper that don't make mistakes.

Our problem yesterday - as it was all last season - is not scoring enough goals:

Conceded last year:
Us: 32 Yams: 26 Sevco: 39
Scored last year:
Us: 70 Yams: 96 Sevco 69

Everything other than the 26 extra goals would suggest a close run competition but instead the points are almost exactly like the goals scored:
Us: 70 Yams 91 Sevco 67

Scoring less than 2 a game against this standard of opposition is where we lost it.

100% agree with this. We should be able to lose silly goals and still have enough talent in our squad to comfortably out-score the vast majority of teams in this league. We are very rarely in a position where we are enough goals ahead to coast the match out. Scoring goals is our main problem, do that and we can worry about our defence in the Premiership.

J-C
09-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Defenders - can't remember the last left back we signed I can, McGivern, remember how well that turned out.

2 huge games coming up - pressure is on.

Diclonius
09-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Reguero

Bartley
McGinn Fyvie
Allan

Malonga Cummings

J-C
09-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Reguero

Bartley
McGinn Fyvie
Allan

Malonga Cummings

Dear god not the bloody diamond shape again, it's been sussed, we need other tactics like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 just not the bloody diamond again.

Diclonius
10-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Dear god not the bloody diamond shape again, it's been sussed, we need other tactics like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 just not the bloody diamond again.

I agree but I'm not sure we can employ any other effective formations with the players we currently have fit.

Hibeesmad
10-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley

Allan
Fyvie
McGinn

Malonga
Cummings

HoboHarry
10-08-2015, 02:05 AM
Cheap option - simple
Aye because our budget allows us the luxury of an expensive back-up. He has played in the league above us but don't let that get in the way of your comments. :rolleyes:

GreenCastle
10-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Aye because our budget allows us the luxury of an expensive back-up. He has played in the league above us but don't let that get in the way of your comments. :rolleyes:

Oxley was at Hull..

What league they come from doesn't always matter.

Happy to be proved wrong if he comes in and plays well.

I am more frustrated that our so called academy and goalkeeper coaches haven't produced or found a young GK who can make the step up for years.

Brightside
10-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Usual stuff on threads like this. Blaming individuals that people don't fancy based on no actual evidence. Ignore the fact aqain that the midfield are failing to do their jobs.

Personally I want to see us play 352. Bartley can play in there. This give us the width in midfield to stop us being run over on the wings. Or we just stop playing 4 rotating CMs and actually give players a defined role.

At the moment our full backs get hung out to dry and can't afford to go forward as LM and RM aren't doing their jobs.

The goalie is certainly lacking in confidence, and that is not helping the CHs.

At some point Stubbs need to look at his use of systems because we shouldnt be over run by a team like Dumbarton. Allan/Fyvie/Bartly/Martin. There is zero width in that midfield 4.

Ox

Bartley Hanlon Fontaine

Gray Allan Fyvie Carmichael Stevenson

Shaw Cummings

oneone73
10-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Usual stuff on threads like this. Blaming individuals that people don't fancy based on no actual evidence. Ignore the fact aqain that the midfield are failing to do their jobs.

Personally I want to see us play 352. Bartley can play in there. This give us the width in midfield to stop us being run over on the wings. Or we just stop playing 4 rotating CMs and actually give players a defined role.

At the moment our full backs get hung out to dry and can't afford to go forward as LM and RM aren't doing their jobs.

At some point Stubbs need to look at his use of systems because we shouldnt be over run by a team like Dumbarton. Allan/Fyvie/Bartly/Martin. There is zero width in that midfield 4.

Ox

Bartley Hanlon Fontaine

Shaw Cummings

Interesting. You'd start Shaw ahead of Malonga?

Brightside
10-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Interesting. You'd start Shaw ahead of Malonga?

a young boy who is gagging to impress. aye every time. Minimum to expect is effort. Stubbs has said himself there was a lack of effort from players. That's simply not good enough at any level. Fyvie may also get dropped...

Andy74
10-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Ox

Bartley Hanlon Fontaine

Shaw Cummings

So that isn't what you have done with Malonga?

Brightside
10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
So that isn't what you have done with Malonga?

Have I personally slagged him off? NO. But I think we need more urgency up top and we need players that close down quickly and put defenders under pressure. I don't see Malonga doing that in games. He has plenty of qualities but to my eyes he doesnt show desire to bust a gut.

Thecat23
10-08-2015, 08:43 AM

One mistake last year?? I'll crack the jokes 😂

He's dropped more cross balls than I care to remember, his shots to save ratio is one of the worst in the league last year. Somehow I think if he only made one mistake he wouldn't get the flack he's getting!!

Thecat23
10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Have I personally slagged him off? NO. But I think we need more urgency up top and we need players that close down quickly and put defenders under pressure. I don't see Malonga doing that in games. He has plenty of qualities but to my eyes he doesnt show desire to bust a gut.

I don't see Oxley command his box, he's not a good shot stopper so that's why I'd have our number 2 in goals. It's all about opinions! As for Malonga he does score goals but I agree his work ethic could be better.

GreenOnions
10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
I think the idea of 3-5-2 in this league especially is a good one because, in theory anyway, it allows us to have more players further up the park and to have width.

IMHO though - the problem with our application of it is that it has meant, in practice, that we are playing an extra defender. That has also restricted our ability to fit into the team players with pace.

I'd like to see a 3-5-2 but one which is more cavalier - allowing us pace in the wide areas. This would create a vulnerability defensively in the wide areas - sure - but I really fee that we have a much better chance of success in this league - particularly against teams who will be sitting in against us - if we err on the side of being over-attacking:

...........................Oxley

...........Gray.........Hanlon.......Fontaine

..........................Fyvie
Boyle..........Allan...........McGinn........Carmi chael

..................Cummings.....Malonga

Subs: Reguero, Stevenson, Bartley, Martin, L. Allan, Harris, Stanton

J-C
10-08-2015, 09:24 AM
I agree but I'm not sure we can employ any other effective formations with the players we currently have fit.

I can 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3

Ox

Fyvie McGinn

Boyle Allan Carmichael/Harris

Cummings/Mallonga

OR

Ox

Allan Fyvie McGinn

Boyle Cummings Malonga/Carmichael

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2015, 09:26 AM
One mistake last year?? I'll crack the jokes 😂

He's dropped more cross balls than I care to remember, his shots to save ratio is one of the worst in the league last year. Somehow I think if he only made one mistake he wouldn't get the flack he's getting!!

I've asked a few times for the mistakes he made but only ever got "Alloa and eh eh loads of others"

we are hibs
10-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Reguero

Gray
Fontaine
hanlon
crane

Carmichael
bartley
mcginn
Boyle

malonga
cummings

BoomtownHibees
10-08-2015, 09:51 AM
I've asked a few times for the mistakes he made but only ever got "Alloa and eh eh loads of others"

Raith away

PISTOL1875
10-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Reguero

Gray Hanlon Fontaine Crane

Allan Fyvie McGinn

Boyle Cummings Carmichael

4-3-3.. Would've also dropped Hanlon but no-one else to play in there.

green day
10-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Stubbs had the squad in at East Mains on Sunday (source - someone who was doing SFA coaching badges at the time). Presumably not to discuss how well it all went on Saturday !

Oh, and my source (not a hibs fan) made a point of mentioning that EM is a truly fantastic facility and he was quite surprised at how well run it all was !

500miles
10-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Unless we're playing 3-5-2 I don't see where Bartley, Fyvie and Allan all fit into the same team.

Fyvie does a bit of what Allan does, and a bit of what Bartley reputedly does.

When I saw Bartley against Montrose, I thought he was a bit cumbersome and looked best making up for his own mistakes and lack of pace, so I'd pick Fyvie every time.

We're a bit hamstung by injuries at the moment. Hopefully the return of the widemen and strikers will improve the conversion rate and quality of the chances made (although, we had about 15 according to the stats on Saturday, we should still be winning comfortably.)

Thecat23
10-08-2015, 12:05 PM

Alloa, Raith, few cross balls against QOS and the shots he just should be saving. The lack of saves that he produces is worrying! If you can't see his a dodgy keeper I honestly don't know what you are watching. It's not a man hunt it's a genuine concern that he's simply not good enough.

liamh2202
10-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Unless we're playing 3-5-2 I don't see where Bartley, Fyvie and Allan all fit into the same team.

Fyvie does a bit of what Allan does, and a bit of what Bartley reputedly does.

When I saw Bartley against Montrose, I thought he was a bit cumbersome and looked best making up for his own mistakes and lack of pace, so I'd pick Fyvie every time.

We're a bit hamstung by injuries at the moment. Hopefully the return of the widemen and strikers will improve the conversion rate and quality of the chances made (although, we had about 15 according to the stats on Saturday, we should still be winning comfortably.)

Yeh I'm unsure if we need a Bartley in 90% of games this year. Fyvie can do the donkey work and is also comfortable on the ball

The Leith Dutch
10-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Yeh I'm unsure if we need a Bartley in 90% of games this year. Fyvie can do the donkey work and is also comfortable on the ball

For most of the games we should be playing one sitting midfielder and the remaining 5 non defenders should be so threatening to the opposition that their midfield is driven back. Doesn't have to be cavalier and certainly shouldn't be long ball but far more direct. We're way too much like a low rent Arsenal in attack.

calumhibee1
10-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Allan
Martin
Fyvie
McGinn

Cummings
Malonga

Oxley quite simply needs to be dropped. Has he made a save yet this season? He seems to let in every shot he faces.

calumhibee1
10-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Alloa, Raith, few cross balls against QOS and the shots he just should be saving. The lack of saves that he produces is worrying! If you can't see his a dodgy keeper I honestly don't know what you are watching. It's not a man hunt it's a genuine concern that he's simply not good enough.

This 100%. He doesn't make many major howlers, he just never seems to save anything.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2015, 12:47 PM
a young boy who is gagging to impress. aye every time. Minimum to expect is effort. Stubbs has said himself there was a lack of effort from players. That's simply not good enough at any level. Fyvie may also get dropped...

Malonga worked his socks off on Saturday, I'm not sure if you're suggesting he lacked effort but nothing could be further from the truth imo.

His problem was, not for the 1st time, because the service was so poor he was having to drop 30/40 yards from goal to get on the ball. He was carrying a knock pre game and looked to be struggling midway through the 2nd half but continued to chase things down and try to show for the ball. Of the players on show on Saturday I'd say 8 or 9 of them have more of a case to answer than Malonga for their performances.

SlickShoes
10-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Malonga worked his socks off on Saturday, I'm not sure if you're suggesting he lacked effort but nothing could be further from the truth imo.

His problem was, not for the 1st time, because the service was so poor he was having to drop 30/40 yards from goal to get on the ball. He was carrying a knock pre game and looked to be struggling midway through the 2nd half but continued to chase things down and try to show for the ball. Of the players on show on Saturday I'd say 8 or 9 of them have more of a case to answer than Malonga for their performances.

Same as last season, Malonga is a quality player that tries his hardest. He is tall and gangly and when he is beating a man to the ball some people still don't think he is running fast enough.

Smartie
10-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Some of the balls into the box in the second half were decent enough though (I accept that a lot weren't). I don't think Malonga or Cummings do enough to find space and attack the ball when we get into decent position (or any of our midfielders) to turn a half-chance into a goal.

I like Malonga. He's deceptively quick, his touch his excellent and I just think that he's a good, clever player. He got his goal on Saturday and looked to be threat in behind them, especially in the first half.

But I don't think we can hide from the fact that something just doesn't work for us as a team in the final third. I don't know whether it is tactics, combinations of players or simply personnel because as individuals I like them all enough but have to acknowledge that all too often asa TEAM we're not good enough.

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2015, 03:55 PM

We seem to be up to 2 or 3 mistakes now.

My problem with it is that the defence as a whole are not up to it but because the 4 defenders in front of him all have their own fan club he's getting the blame pinned on him. It's all of them that are letting the opposition have one chance one goal.

Unseen work
10-08-2015, 11:28 PM
The "oxley never saves anything" chat really cracks me up

Alex Trager
11-08-2015, 12:44 PM
The "oxley never saves anything" chat really cracks me up

You have to agree with it however.

How many times last year did we batter teams not score then they went up and scored one out of one. It happened countless times.

He never inspires confidence at all. Its not as if he makes howlers. Hes jist not really good at doing the basics.

Brightside
11-08-2015, 12:56 PM

My problem with it is that the defence as a whole are not up to it but because the 4 defenders in front of him all have their own fan club he's getting the blame pinned on him. It's all of them that are letting the opposition have one chance one goal.

tbf my Paul Hanlon fan club is hardly running out of badges at the moment. :greengrin

Brightside
11-08-2015, 12:57 PM

I honestly think our midfield has a lot to answer to...they have a defensive job to do and they don't do it very well at the moment.

Smartie
11-08-2015, 01:02 PM
I honestly think our midfield has a lot to answer to...they have a defensive job to do and they don't do it very well at the moment.

You might be onto something.

We seem to swing from arguing about "we don't score enough goals - must be the strikers" to "we lose too many goals - must be the defenders" without ever really questioning our midfield.

Then there are the added nuances about the strikers possibly not closing players down well enough (defending), the quality of delivery into the box from the fullbacks and the lack of goals our CHs score from set-pieces.

Maybe we fall just a bit short in all areas?

Famous Fiver
11-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Just a thought.

Will Jim Duffy arrive by helicopter?

PISTOL1875
12-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Same as last season, Malonga is a quality player that tries his hardest. He is tall and gangly and when he is beating a man to the ball some people still don't think he is running fast enough.

:aok::aok::aok::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thum bsup:

ancient hibee
12-08-2015, 02:10 PM
It's a little dispiriting to read that our reserve goalie let in a bouncing 30 yarder.

hfc rd
12-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Allan
Fyvie
McGinn
Carmichael

Cummings

Alfred E Newman
12-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Allan
Fyvie
McGinn
Carmichael

Cummings

Who does the tackling and ball winning in that line up?

Unseen work
12-08-2015, 05:37 PM
You have to agree with it however.

How many times last year did we batter teams not score then they went up and scored one out of one. It happened countless times.

He never inspires confidence at all. Its not as if he makes howlers. Hes jist not really good at doing the basics.

Sorry but that is ridiculous. Its hardly his fault if they score with there first chance. Some he should do better with but to say he saves none is mental. Almost as crazy as the people that thinks cummings should score every shot he has

Hibeewilly
12-08-2015, 06:12 PM
It's a little dispiriting to read that our reserve goalie let in a bouncing 30 yarder.

Just been speaking to a guy that was at the game. It was a horrendous mistake. Although other positions need to be filled - this is the most crucial now IMHO. Very worrying. Just remembered the goal he lost at Dunfermline. I hope he is the answer but who knows

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-08-2015, 07:35 PM

Fyvie would be my guess.

The_Horde
12-08-2015, 07:37 PM

Them all.

Alfred E Newman
12-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Them all.

If only.

ronaldo7
12-08-2015, 07:45 PM

Trouble is, we have two dodgy keepers imo.

It seems the Goal keeping position is still one that haunts us.

GreenCastle
14-08-2015, 12:05 PM
4-1-3-2

Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley

McGinn
Fyvie
Stanton

Malonga
Cummings

With width from McGinn and Stanton - Bartley sitting in to protect from any counter attacks.

Fyvie stepping up and playing better now Allan has left.

Andy74
14-08-2015, 12:08 PM
I think the only change would be McGinn in for Allan.

SDavey1992
14-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Provided everything goes through in time for Saturday

Oxley

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
Fyvie
Mcgeough
McGinn

Malonga
Cummings

J-C
14-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Ox

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn

Boyle
Malonga
Cummings

subs...Reguero, Stanton, Martin, Carmichael, Crane, McGregor, Harris ( depends if Dylan and Henderson sign in time )

Ozyhibby
14-08-2015, 05:18 PM
What's everyone best call now on how we line up tomorrow?

PISTOL1875
14-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Reguero

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley
McGinn

Fyvie
Carmichael
Boyle

Cummings

4-2-3-1 , plenty of width and speed going forward. Also valuable game time for Boyle , Carmichael and Bartley The bad apathy about the Scott Allan debacle is away , it's time to out it behind us and get our season back on track... Starting tomorrow with Morton getting hammered...

bingo70
14-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Ruguero (think that's his name)

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Fyvie
Bartley
mcginn

Boyle
Cummings
Carmichael (or malonga if fit, I can't remember who's injured and who's not!)

Andy74
14-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Probably McGinn for Allan. Doubt we will go too mad after one game.

flash
14-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Crane

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn

Carmichael

Cummings
Malonga

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2015, 05:35 PM
I would hope to see Ruguero given a chance. Is Malonga fit, and, assuming the Allan transfer is completed in time, could we see the lads from Celtc on the bench?

Pretty Boy
14-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Having calmed down a bit after last Saturday, I'm not sure we'll see too many wholesale changes and a bit continuity won't go amiss, especially considering we'll likely have to be quite conservative and compact at Ibrox.

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley

McGinn
Martin
Fyvie

Cummings
Malonga

TheFamous1875
14-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Hard to to say, since we actually don't know what our squad will be like by tomorrow, but maybe this?

Oxley.

Gray. Hanlon. Fontaine. Stevenson.

Fyvie. Bartley. Martin.

Stanton.

Cummings. Malonga.

SUBS: Reguero; McGinn, Harris, Carmichael, Boyle, Dunsmore, L. Allan.

What I want it to be:

Reguero.

Gray. Hanlon. Fontaine. Stevenson.

Fyvie. Martin. McGinn.

Cummings. Malonga. Boyle.

SUBS: Oxley; Bartley, Stanton, Harris, Carmichael, Dunsmore, L. Allan.

FromTheCapital
14-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Oxley,

Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson

Bartley, Fyvie

Boyle, McGinn, Carmichael

Cummings or Malonga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
14-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Having calmed down a bit after last Saturday, I'm not sure we'll see too many wholesale changes and a bit continuity won't go amiss, especially considering we'll likely have to be quite conservative and compact at Ibrox.

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley

McGinn
Martin
Fyvie

Cummings
Malonga

This for me too

AlbertK86
15-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Would like to see

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Crane

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn

Carmichael / Boyle - dependant on who is fittest
Cummings
Malonga

Subs

Rugero
Stevenson
Stanton
Boyle/Carmichael
Martin
Harris
Allan

Or alternative 3-5-2

Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine

Boyle
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Crane

Cummings
Malonga

PeterboroHibee
15-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Oxley,

Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson

Bartley, Fyvie

Boyle, McGinn, Carmichael

Cummings or Malonga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what I would go with, with Malonga up front.

Im sure Stubbs will stick with diamond formation though, but its not been particularly convincing so far.

JimBHibees
15-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Would put Henderson straight in if available. Also start McGinn.