PDA

View Full Version : On The Bright Side

Waxy
08-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Win our next two league games and all is forgiven.
Anyone remember losing 2-1 to Stranraer in 98?

Thecat23
08-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Sadly we had a good side there though. This time we don't!

H18 SFR
08-08-2015, 05:36 PM

That was a time when we had a solid squad and added further true quality to it. It's a different ball game now. I'd actually add that we had a really good manager back then too. Actually, second add, we had about 5 or 6 leaders on the park too. It's unrealistic to compare our current squad to that team.

Franck Stanton
08-08-2015, 05:37 PM
There's a "bright side" ?

liamh2202
08-08-2015, 05:39 PM
There's a "bright side" ?

Its one of these mythical things I've never seen in my time supporting his lol

ruthven_raiders
08-08-2015, 05:40 PM

I was just saying that to my wife. Thought at the time. Geez it's gonna be a long season, then we went on a record points total☺

stoneyburn hibs
08-08-2015, 05:43 PM

Remember that game well, this season is a different kettle of fish compared to then. We are battling against the Huns for the title this time, with a far inferior squad.
What a pish Saturday night.

Dalianwanda
08-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Who the **** knows what's going to happen

emerald green
08-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Read this, and the phrase clutching at straws came to mind. You never know with Hibs though, but I cannot see Hibs winning at Ibrox in two weeks time.

What's the use of winning at Ibrox and losing to teams like Dumbarton? That's not how league titles are won.

Sir David Gray
08-08-2015, 05:56 PM
On today's showing, we don't have a hope in Hell of winning at Ibrox in a fortnight.

scuttle
08-08-2015, 06:47 PM
ON TH BRIGHT SIDE
At least Butcher and his Newport Co got humped, some things never change

liamh2202
08-08-2015, 06:48 PM
ON TH BRIGHT SIDE
At least Butcher and his Newport Co got humped, some things never change

And we also don't have a fear of our unbeaten run coming to an end next week lol

Wheat Hound
08-08-2015, 06:59 PM
McGinn looked lively when he came on.
Hopefully Boyle and Carmichael can play next week.
Hopefully Oxley gets dropped (unlikely I know)

Allant1981
08-08-2015, 07:01 PM

Thing is we actually do have a decent team, get oxley out and possibly another defender in and thats a good team. Just need to hope they get the finger out

Carheenlea
08-08-2015, 07:27 PM
On the bright side, celebrated Father in Law's 70th birthday in Galway. Outside caterers, plenty beer, two bouncy castles in garden for kids.
Torrential rain, a super Saturday indeed.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2015, 07:29 PM
It's still good to be green, no matter what pish is on the park. Hibs may drive us mad, but there's always the next game.

Jim44
08-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Read this, and the phrase clutching at straws came to mind. You never know with Hibs though, but I cannot see Hibs winning at Ibrox in two weeks time.

What's the use of winning at Ibrox and losing to teams like Dumbarton? That's not how league titles are won.

No idea how we'll do against Sevco at Ibrox, but I'm certain that they won't lose as many games as us against so-called inferior teams. Their odds on price to win the league will strengthen after this weekends's matches.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-08-2015, 07:50 PM
We've got a nice stadium.

emerald green
08-08-2015, 07:53 PM
We've got a nice stadium.

And a state of the art training centre. One which clubs like Dumbarton can only dream about...

Cod Boy
08-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Produce nice videos for new strips

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Wait until all players are fit, and window closed/business concluded, before making such a judgement I would say......

theonlywayisup
08-08-2015, 08:02 PM
There was only one seagull, whereas last week there was a flock!!

Andy74
08-08-2015, 08:05 PM
McGinn looked very good and he was also shouting at the rest of the team to get going and show some urgency. Not that they listened. He's bigger than I thought he would be too.

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2015, 08:15 PM
McGinn looked very good and he was also shouting at the rest of the team to get going and show some urgency. Not that they listened. He's bigger than I thought he would be too.

Hard to say on short game time Today, but I think he is going to a great signing for us....

SON OF PADDY
08-08-2015, 09:45 PM
On the Bright side " I'm Proud to be a HIBBY " my mate's are unfortunately Jambo's !!!
Always look on the Bright side of life I say.

Shrekko
08-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Hard to say on short game time Today, but I think he is going to a great signing for us....

Horrible day generally but I agree with you re McGinn- he looked eye poppingly good. I'm even more stunned we managed to sign him now.

KWJ
08-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Jason Young scored an absolute screamer in that game. Think he got both their goals.

Mr White
08-08-2015, 09:57 PM
I was talking to my celtc supporting cousin about henrik larssons debut in the 97/98 season the other day. I bet some tic fans were cursing his dreadlocked ass as another scheidt signing when he set up chics winner on the opening day. Fast forward 9.5 months and they're celebrating a first league title in a decade and we've been relegated. Regardless of how disapointing today's performance and result is, I think it's important not to get too carried away in writing off our chances just yet. It's a long old season.

McKenzie
08-08-2015, 10:51 PM
There's still 35 games to go

IberianHibernian
08-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Positive side to now is that there are still more than 3 weeks to sign new players . AS and his team decided that our budget meant we could sign better than Craig and Robertson and that it was worth re - signing Oxley and Boyle etc

Waxy
09-08-2015, 08:23 AM
I was talking to my celtc supporting cousin about henrik larssons debut in the 97/98 season the other day. I bet some tic fans were cursing his dreadlocked ass as another scheidt signing when he set up chics winner on the opening day. Fast forward 9.5 months and they're celebrating a first league title in a decade and we've been relegated. Regardless of how disapointing today's performance and result is, I think it's important not to get too carried away in writing off our chances just yet. It's a long old season.couldn't have got of to a better start to a season that day, beating Celtic at home.Maybe the opposite can happen this time.

GreenLake
09-08-2015, 08:37 AM

The majority of the sides we face now look fairly sh*** in or above this division. We have only our blundering to fear.

Success is improbable looking at yesterday but far from impossible.

Keith_M
09-08-2015, 05:22 PM
In 98/99, we spent a fortune on players and our biggest rivals were Falkirk... who couldn't get promoted anyway because their Stadium didn't meet the criteria.

Different kettle of fish now.

sesoim
10-08-2015, 04:22 PM
That was a time when we had a solid squad and added further true quality to it. It's a different ball game now. I'd actually add that we had a really good manager back then too. Actually, second add, we had about 5 or 6 leaders on the park too. It's unrealistic to compare our current squad to that team.

:agree:

We struggled for our first few games, then we brought in Mixu.....

We then improved a bit but were still dropping some points until November, when we brought in Latapy....

We then won every league game bar one until the end of the season, and even added Sauzee with a few games to go.

All these players said they were attracted to the club because of McLeish. I don't think we could attract a Sauzee or Latapy to the club now even if we did have an internationally well known guy like McLeish in charge, not unless we were in the top four of the SPL and getting average crowds of 14k to 15k like we were a few years ago. Scottish football's stock has slumped and less players want to come here, but I still think we could be doing better with some of our signings.

Re-signing players like Oxley and Fyvie without having a serious look for better options smacks of apathy and a lack of ideas, and that doesn't reflect well on Stubbs and the hoard of assistants and coaches and technical this and thats he has brought to the club.

Smartie
10-08-2015, 04:34 PM
:agree:

We struggled for our first few games, then we brought in Mixu.....

We then improved a bit but were still dropping some points until November, when we brought in Latapy....

We then won every league game bar one until the end of the season, and even added Sauzee with a few games to go.

All these players said they were attracted to the club because of McLeish. I don't think we could attract a Sauzee or Latapy to the club now even if we did have an internationally well known guy like McLeish in charge, not unless we were in the top four of the SPL and getting average crowds of 14k to 15k like we were a few years ago. Scottish football's stock has slumped and less players want to come here, but I still think we could be doing better with some of our signings.

Re-signing players like Oxley and Fyvie without having a serious look for better options smacks of apathy and a lack of ideas, and that doesn't reflect well on Stubbs and the hoard of assistants and coaches and technical this and thats he has brought to the club.

There was also a core of very steady guys there who did a great job for us that season, like Justin Skinner, Paul Lovering and Stuart Lovell. Hartley had some decent performances and goals too.

We even managed to weather having a few dodgy centre-halves (Alex Marinkov, Derek Anderson) and Oli the goalie for much of the season.