PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

Hibs90
08-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Just having a look at the match stats and it is not good viewing.

Possession 60%
13 shots, 5 on target

Continuation of last season. All this talk about emulating Hearts and dominating and getting off to a flying start yet it's the same tactics as last season? Slow build up play with no width until the full backs go forward which then leaves us short at the back. Did anyone of the management team not pick up on this last season at all and have it addressed for this season? It is costing us games! When we eventually get forward after a slow move, we are scrambling to get back and giving away cheap fouls which lead to goals and I have to be honest when I say it is very worrying that this has clearly not been worked on for this season.

We need to change tactics, and go at teams, with a quick tempo! Questions have to be asked on this front for me.

ballengeich
08-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Possession 60%
13 shots, 5 on target

Continuation of last season. All this talk about emulating Hearts and dominating and getting off to a flying start yet it's the same tactics as last season? Slow build up play with no width until the full backs go forward which then leaves us short at the back. Did anyone of the management team not pick up on this last season at all and have it addressed for this season? It is costing us games! When we eventually get forward after a slow move, we are scrambling to get back and giving away cheap fouls which lead to goals and I have to be honest when I say it is very worrying that this has clearly not been worked on for this season.

We need to change tactics, and go at teams, with a quick tempo! Questions have to be asked on this front for me.

:top marks

PISTOL1875
08-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Possession 60%
13 shots, 5 on target

That's exactly the tactic Hertz were doing last season mate.. They would get the early goal which then killed off their opponents of keeping it tight for the first 15-20 mins...

liamh2202
08-08-2015, 05:23 PM
I think we have a false emphasis on patience at the club. Its not a case of needing to be patient in this league. We need to go out there and take a grip of the game

KeithTheHibby
08-08-2015, 05:26 PM
I think we have a false emphasis on patience at the club. Its not a case of needing to be patient in this league. We need to go out there and take a grip of the game

Correct. We need to have the billy big time attitude and let teams know we are Hibs and we are too good to be in this division.

Canon Hannan
08-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Correct. We need to have the billy big time attitude and let teams know we are Hibs and we are too good to be in this division.
Unfortunately we are not.
no quality and no investment.
Same old.
Sad.
lost interest now.
lost interest 5 years ago. The supporters who attend are heroes and hardcore. I respect them.

liamh2202
08-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Same old.
Sad.
lost interest now.
lost interest 5 years ago. The supporters who attend are heroes and hardcore. I respect them.

I disagree. Player for player we are right up there. Is as a team we are short. Attitude,commitment,work rate and imagination is where we need to improve

GreenArmy1875
08-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Anyone that thought we would have emulated Hearts needs their head checked. Playing 4 central midfielders doesn't work for me in this league. It was obvious last season and bizarre that we have continued this system

liamh2202
08-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Anyone that thought we would have emulated Hearts needs their head checked. Playing 4 central midfielders doesn't work for me in this league. It was obvious last season and bizarre that we have continued this system

I hope when Boyle is fit we play wide men.

tamig
08-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Same old.
Sad.
lost interest now.

No investment? You can't be serious.

LeithMike
08-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Possession 60%
13 shots, 5 on target

This is spot on. Hibs are easy to defend against as everything comes through the centre (where none of the midfielders have the pace to run ahead of the play) or relies waiting on the full-backs to get up the park and try and cross from 30-40 yards out (which is easy to cut out or defend).

This was evident in many games last year including games we won as well as lost. The Falkirk semi is the most obvious example. It's a myth that we create lots of chances. I'd like to hear Stubbs' views on why he tries to play so narrow.

The hardest ball to defend against is the cut-back from the by-line. Hibs never get there. I was hoping Hibs would play a proper 4-4-2 with width or 4-3-3 with one central striker this season but I don't think that Stubbs wants to play this way. I hope I'm wrong.

3-5-2 is not the answer either. Centre halves are usually the poorest footballers on the park so we should not have three of them. Worked in 2000-01 as we had Franck.

Not sure if Boyle and Carmichael are both right-footed but both need to be in the team ASAP. Stevenson and Gray will also look a bit better with some protection, a player to pass down the line to (rather than back inside) and a player to overlap.

Gmack7
08-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately we don't seem to have any, we certainly don't have a plan B,to be honest I'm not sure what plan A is

Hibs90
08-08-2015, 06:13 PM
This is spot on. Hibs are easy to defend against as everything comes through the centre (where none of the midfielders have the pace to run ahead of the play) or relies waiting on the full-backs to get up the park and try and cross from 30-40 yards out (which is easy to cut out or defend).

This was evident in many games last year including games we won as well as lost. The Falkirk semi is the most obvious example. It's a myth that we create lots of chances. I'd like to hear Stubbs' views on why he tries to play so narrow.

The hardest ball to defend against is the cut-back from the by-line. Hibs never get there. I was hoping Hibs would play a proper 4-4-2 with width or 4-3-3 with one central striker this season but I don't think that Stubbs wants to play this way. I hope I'm wrong.

3-5-2 is not the answer either. Centre halves are usually the poorest footballers on the park so we should not have three of them. Worked in 2000-01 as we had Franck.

Not sure if Boyle and Carmichael are both right-footed but both need to be in the team ASAP. Stevenson and Gray will also look a bit better with some protection, a player to pass down the line to (rather than back inside) and a player to overlap.

Totally agree :agree:

semaj64
08-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Possession 60%
13 shots, 5 on target

Yes it is evident w do not have plan B. Even today and apologies for mentioning but Heart made changes and tactics for 2nd half against Dundee that's what we need and also the belief that we can win as we did latter half of last season. It is the fist game and so disappointing today lest hope they get it sorted

Gmack7
09-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Playing 4 CM across the middle is ridiculous,it was an issue last year and looks like it was again yesterday.We have to use our wide men to supply the amunition/goals and not the full backs,we should be getting at teams in this division from the 1st whistle with pace

superfurryhibby
09-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Seems that most folk have been able to spot one of the flaws in our tactics. The lack of width and the over elaboration created by having so much of the play filtered through the middle does make it easy to defend against us.

I didn't go to many games last season and had the temerity to make this observation after the Arbroath cup tie. Totally shot down in flames by the folk who will not tolerate a discouraging word on here though. Things were still going well at that point, but it was all quite predictable.

Here's hoping that the new signings get fit quickly and that Stubbs finds a blend that allows us to start winning games, starting next week. If we reach the end of August 9 points behind the Hun then that will be season over.

J-C
09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Seems that most folk have been able to spot one of the flaws in our tactics. The lack of width and the over elaboration created by having so much of the play filtered through the middle does make it easy to defend against us.

I didn't go to many games last season and had the temerity to make this observation after the Arbroath cup tie. Totally shot down in flames by the folk who will not tolerate a discouraging word on here though. Things were still going well at that point, but it was all quite predictable.

Here's hoping that the new signings get fit quickly and that Stubbs finds a blend that allows us to start winning games, starting next week. If we reach the end of August 9 points behind the Hun then that will be season over.

I said last season and also this season that 4-2-3-1 is the system we should play, we have the players to do so but Stubbs seems intent on playing 2 strikers, even a 4-3-3 with 2 inside forwards like Arsenal etc would work. Hopefully when they are fit a midfield of Bartley, Allan and McGinn (Fyvie, Stanton) and a front three of Keatings, Cummings and Boyle (Malonga, Carmichael)