PDA

View Full Version : St mirren's Steven Thompson penalty miss.

doddsy
08-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Does anyone else think he deliberately set up to miss the penalty he blasted way over the bar against Rangers last night. He lined up just a couple of feet from the ball and leaned back when hitting the ball with his kicking foot scything through the bottom of the ball which is a sure-fire way of blasting the ball over the bar.

My opinion is that he deliberately missed the penalty.

Anyone else think the same?

Doddsy

Since90+2
08-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Does anyone else think he deliberately set up to miss the penalty he blasted way over the bar against Rangers last night. He lined up just a couple of feet from the ball and leaned back when hitting the ball with his kicking foot scything through the bottom of the ball which is a sure-fire way of blasting the ball over the bar.

Doddsy

Why would he?

He is just *****.

FromTheCapital
08-08-2015, 08:16 AM
I think his intention was to aim high in to the roof of the net. I don't think any professional footballer would deliberately miss a penalty, even if he is one of 'them'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxy
08-08-2015, 08:17 AM
That was my first impression of it. Looked like he didn't want to score and i couldn't have taken a worse pen.

Keith_M
08-08-2015, 08:24 AM
I think his intention was to aim high in to the roof of the net. I don't think any professional footballer would deliberately miss a penalty, even if he is one of 'them'.

Apparently he's not.

Gmack7
08-08-2015, 08:25 AM
he was total shoŁte the whole time he was on,as expected

Pretty Boy
08-08-2015, 08:26 AM

Is Thompson not a St Mirren fan?

Or is he the same.type of Buddies fan as Chick Young?

ian cruise
08-08-2015, 08:31 AM
I think he's a boyhood StMirren fan. Was just a shan penalty. Probably got overexcited at the thought of scoring for his boyhood club against his old club and f'd it.

sbell1875
08-08-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm far from an expert but his technique when taking the penalty last night was shocking. I can see exactly why people think it was a deliberate miss.

FromTheCapital
08-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Apparently he's not.

Really? Genuinely thought he was!

SanFranHibs
08-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Would just do what Skacel done when Dundee Utd were in a penalty shootout with that mob from Georgie.......avoid taking one.

FromTheCapital
Is Thompson not a St Mirren fan?

Or is he the same.type of Buddies fan as Chick Young?

Turns out he's not! Always came across as one of them on Sportscene etc

danhibees1875
Could say the same about Liam Craig's at *****castle last year to be fair.

FromTheCapital
08-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Would just do what Skacel done when Dundee Utd were in a penalty shootout with that mob from Georgie.......avoid taking one.

Think he should avoid them, whoever they are playing mate!

MrRobot
08-08-2015, 08:40 AM
This thread is embarassing. Luckily not all Hibs fans are paranoid wrecks. Starting to sound like them.

matty_f
08-08-2015, 08:42 AM
It was just a bad penalty, there's no way he meant it.

high bee
08-08-2015, 08:43 AM
It was a horrendous penalty, he liked it like he'd never played football before.

GordonHFC
08-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I think Thompson will be this season's Kris Boyd.

Billy Whizz
08-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Think he was trying to copy Beckham's effort from the world cup

Hermit Crab
08-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Morton Weighorst did. https://youtu.be/mKPBIS3_BSo

Scouse Hibee
08-08-2015, 09:09 AM

Doddsy

First game in and it's started, it was a crap penalty that is all you see plenty of them.

Ronniekirk
08-08-2015, 09:15 AM
He is a St Mirren supporter. He didnt play a lot last season due to injury and you could see his overall game wasn't great last night A bit rusty . But it was a horrendous penalty .

Boyle89
08-08-2015, 09:22 AM
It was a honking attempt. I can see why people might think he meant to miss it but it was just a terrible pen nothing more.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Thought that teams had nominated penalty takers and that person would train on it during the week.

Hibby Bairn
08-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Don't be ridiculous.

Quite like Thompson. Comes across as quite intelligent and articulate on TV. Talks a bit of sense.

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Don't be ridiculous.

Quite like Thompson. Comes across as quite intelligent and articulate on TV. Talks a bit of sense.

but only when he's not tossing spears at human beings

Frazerbob
08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
What a pathetic thread.

CentreLine
08-08-2015, 09:44 AM

That was my impression immediately he stepped up. I was going

Doddsy

Yes. Thought that immediately he stepped up he looked like he was distracted and making choices. Nothing about the way he set up or took the penalty looked convincing. I would like to give home the benefit of the doubt but he certainly got a big cheer from the home fans as he went off and nothing ironic in their accolade.

DH1875
08-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Rather than being a hun, maybe he just had Ł5k on a rangers win.

(Disclaimer for any lawyers looking in. Just joking, I don't think he ment to miss it).

iwasthere1972
08-08-2015, 09:54 AM

You're forgetting that 'them' died a few years ago. :agree:

Golden Bear
08-08-2015, 09:55 AM
This thread is embarassing. Luckily not all Hibs fans are paranoid wrecks. Starting to sound like them.

:agree: :paranoid:

I've only read the posts up to this point and I don't intend to read the remainder.

Embarrassing IS the word.

Paisley Hibby
08-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Doddsy

Sorry mate but I think you should leave that kind of paranoid nonsense to the Celtic fans. It's embarrassing.

Jim44
08-08-2015, 10:08 AM
With BT Sport and media bias concerns, along with paranoid conspiracy fever, it's going to be a long hard season. I wish we could just enjoy the fitba'.

stubru59
08-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Don't believe for one minute that he meant to miss the penalty. But everything about him in the lead up suggested he would.

Jones28
08-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Seriously? :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-08-2015, 10:42 AM
He's a St Mirren fan!
I take it nobody seen his two pens towards the end of last season, against Killie(I think). St Mirren won 4-1(I think) and Thompson scored two pens. It was the first game after he had speared McGinn so was obv on a mission to make up for it. I remember laughing at his technique for both pens and saying to my mate that I had never seen anything like it. I couldn't believe he had scored them both. Last night was just as weird.
You don't deliberately miss pens

Beefster
08-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Thank **** I'm not the only one that thinks the same.

SunshineOnLeith
08-08-2015, 11:58 AM
It's a conspiracy.

Gordy M
08-08-2015, 12:00 PM
I see that the 'gfa will do everything to see rangers promoted' posters were nowhere to be seen when the penalty was given last night?? The whole conspiracy thing whether players or refs is just embarrassing!!

SanFranHibs
08-08-2015, 12:26 PM

As unlikely as I think it is.....can't say I feel embarrassed. I think I can walk around Edinburgh today without hanging my head in shame.

But should we lose to Dumbarton....

:greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
08-08-2015, 12:30 PM
:agree: :paranoid:

I've only read the posts up to this point and I don't intend to read the remainder.

Embarrassing IS the word.

I prefer 'hilarious'.

Stupid people are funny.

erskine-hibby
08-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't for one minute think he deliberately missed it, though I said to my boy that I thought he was playing for rangers (jokingly ) last night, due to his general game...very poor.

FRes Hibbie
08-08-2015, 12:37 PM
This thread is hilarious.

calmac12000
08-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Don't believe for one minute that he meant to miss the penalty. But everything about him in the lead up suggested he would. Watching his run up etc., it was clear he made a total ***** of it!
Must admit BT's coverage lends itself to conspiracy theories. They still seem to think Sevco are the same team as they were when they won 9 in a row- hopefully eerie cd will teach them to be a tad more realistic!

silverhibee
08-08-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm far from an expert but his technique when taking the penalty last night was shocking. I can see exactly why people think it was a deliberate miss.

I watched the game with someone who has scored a few penalties and missed some as well, and he said straight away that he was missing this, don't think he meant to miss it but the short run up (2 steps) and leaning back was only going to be one out come, hitting a zombie in row X, hopefully in the face. :greengrin

vanNISHtelroy
08-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Doddsy

We let McCoist take a penalty against Rangers...he lined up his body making it obvious where it was going and passed it that way, I'm sure he was devastated. Could be wrong but I think Paul Wright who would usually take our penalties was playing.

LaMotta
08-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

Agreed.

No idea why players feel the need to put a penalty high though - statistically speaking its just daft as it gives you an extra way to miss it.

ekhibee
10-08-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm sure he is a St mirren fan, but he's never, ever hid his sympathies for Sevco. I remember him coming out with a right load of ***** after a Hibs v Sevco game. Don't think he missed the penaly deliberately, but didn't really seem that bothered that he had.

Argylehibby
10-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Don't think it was deliberate and when they won the league cup a couple of years back it was all over the media about him scoring for his boyhood heroes in the final so pretty sure he is a genuine st. Mirren fan. I can't stand him on sportscene though, the fact that he has twice accused our players of cheating to get his team mate sent off has always irked me almost as much as the fact we as a club never challenged it. I don't think LD would be so quiet if it was repeated again this season

Sir David Gray
10-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Doddsy