PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Speedy
07-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Any early recommendations?

So far I seen:

Andrew Maxwell - great show, well worth a watch

Paul Sinha - pretty good. Well worth a fiver, decent enough but other things I'd prioritise at full price

Hal Cruttenden - Decent enough and made me laugh.

Not seen him yet but if you're looking for freebies then Joel Dommett is worth seeing.

easty
07-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I've not been to see anything yet, but have tickets for Stewart Lee, Tony Law and Hot Dub Time Machine.

I'll be going out to see a few of the newer comedians at some point, picked at random probably. Last year ended up going to see a few decent ones that way.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Going to see Max and Ivan The End tonight, had some good reviews.

At the moment the Fringe is just annoying me. Restaurants, hotels and bars that know about it all year yet leave their orders to the last minute then moan when we can't get them 10000 plastic pint glasses at 45 minutes notice.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Just out of said show above and would thoroughly recommend. Probably the best £6 I have spent this year.

A few reviews describing them as the next great British comedy double act and whilst I was sceptical before seeing the show I can.quite believe it now. Really funny, probably the best Fringe show I've seen in 5 years.

brianmc
07-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Going to see Craig Hill on Wednesday at EICC - should be good :-)

Speedy
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Going to see Craig Hill on Wednesday at EICC - should be good :-)

His show is normally very good.

Got reluctantly dragged along one year but always enjoyed it since.

Saw Charlie Baker tonight. Laughed in bits but it wasn't great. First show this year I wish I hadn't bothered.

The_Horde
07-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Raymond Mearns free show at beehive. Worth it

jodjam
08-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Andrew Maxwell was excellent. One of the best I've seen.

Daniel Sloss was very good. A comedian who can have you laughing and then sad in an instant.

Going to see Rob Beckett, Jerry Sadowitz and Freddie Flintoff.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for other tips.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm going to see Patrick Kielty. That's all I've got booked so far.

SuperAllyMcleod
08-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Justin Moorehouse and Henning Wein were both excellent although I was a little disappointed with Ed Byrne.

I've got Katherine Ryan tickets and expect her to be good.

Speedy
08-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Went to see Checkpoint 22 today. Funny play about 2 graduates experience working at Glastonbury.

Good laugh, would recommend - definitely at 2 for 1 Monday and Tuesday.

Speedy
08-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Mark Forward - terrible, utter dross. About 75% of his audience didn't buy into it at the start and he isolated them.

Frazerbob
08-08-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm coming down on the 26th for my annual Festival soiree. Got tickets for Mark Watson, So This Is What We Voted For with Vladamir McTavish, Alun Cochrane, James at Ross Bandstand, Scotland v Rest of the World BBC recording and Late n Live (if we're still standing). Then back down on 29th for the Raith game and the Tattoo.

Gutted to be missing our yearly boys night out to Jerry Sadowitz but can't get down to any of his nights.

The Hibee Harp
09-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Saw Andrew Lawrence the other night. Very, very disappointing.

Very few laughs and all his best jokes are already on his Twitter feed.

BroxburnHibee
09-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Sampled some off the free fringe today - it can be a bit hit or miss, just do a bit research first.

Saw a show called 'Jollyboat' at Movement in the Cowgate. Highly amusing hour.

DarrenSQH
10-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Mark Forward - terrible, utter dross. About 75% of his audience didn't buy into it at the start and he isolated them.

I saw him this weekend and he was great.

Speedy
10-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Yeah he really seemed to split the room. There were 5 in our group, 3 thought he was crap and 2 thought he was really good.

Also saw Dark Side of the Mime last night. Pretty obscure; quite creepy in places but also some funny moments and overall pretty entertaining.

Just seen Carl Donnelly & Chris Martin's podcast (guest Christian O'Connell) - was good, ideal freebie to pass the time in the afternoon.

CapitalGreen
10-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Just seen Carl Donnelly & Chris Martin's podcast (guess Christian O'Connell) - was good, ideal freebie to pass the time in the afternoon.

Did they mention what other guests they had planned for this? I'm planning on going along one day this week or next.

Speedy
10-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Did they mention what other guests they had planned for this? I'm planning on going along one day this week or next.

No, didn't say. Will probably find it on twitter or something though.

Mr Grieves
10-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Saw Andrew Lawrence the other night. Very, very disappointing.

Very few laughs and all his best jokes are already on his Twitter feed.

He was very good a few years ago but he's lost the plot recently. Comes across as very bitter.

Anyway, rarely get to see proper shows now, it's all about the kids stuff with my 3 year old son-

Mr tiger goes wild - based on a kids book and good fun for adults and young kids.

Dr Bubble - wee man loved it, good for kids under 10.

Greenworld
10-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
11-08-2015, 12:07 PM
This year I have tickets for

Wings in my Heart at Fountainbridge

Drum Tribe at the Gilded Baloon

The AniMotion Show at Heriots School

ALso at the Book Festival

Lin Anderson and Christobel Kent

Val McDermid with Niamh Nic Daeid and Gill Arbuthnot

Tony Juniper

and Caroline Lucas

If I have time I will try and get along to Butterfly Rammy at the Stand in St Andrews Square

All of that in 3 days.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Off to see Trainspotting tomorrow night.

Have spoken to a few people who have been along and all have said it's a good adaptation so looking forward to it.

TRC
11-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Lillian boutte jazz singer is always a brilliant show.

jodjam
12-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Was sitting next to Nicholas Parsons at the Pleasance on Sunday. Doing ok for 92 year old

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Anyone been to the freefestival site at the arches on Market Street?

David_D
13-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Went to see a free fringe show Puppet Fiction (based on Pulp Fiction). Was a very enjoyable hour, it is on at the Counting House every day at 2.45.

Speedy
13-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Went to see a free fringe show Puppet Fiction (based on Pulp Fiction). Was a very enjoyable hour, it is on at the Counting House every day at 2.45.

Saw that as well, it was good. Looks like they vary the scenes each day so worth going to see again.

Since my last post I've seen:

So you think you're funny - Couple of decent acts - Luca Capani was definitely the standout, will try to catch his show
Joel Dommett - really enjoyed it but maybe not quite as good as his last show
Jollyboat - cheers for the recommendation BroxburnHibee. I didn't get all the references but it was a very good show. Geeks will love it :greengrin
Get your own back: Live - reasonably entertaining, not the best show ever but the nostalgia made up for it
Stuart Laws - not too bad, started slowly but picked up. Decent for free fringe.
Christian O'Connell - not bad but wouldn't rush back

Back to work now so unfortunately back to reality.

Pretty Boy
13-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Went to see Trainspotting last night.

Really enjoyed it. It's hard to do anything massively original with Trainspotting but thes.guys gave it a good go. Changed a few of the characters about and focussed on a lot of the black humour in the book eg the 'traditional breakfast', the job interview or the bookies toilet.scene. On saying that the scene of Begbie battering a pregnant June or the portrayal of Tommys descent into addiction is really hard hitting and uncomfortable.

It was an interesting set up. You go into a 'rave' with all the main characters dancing and the seating is in amongst the set with a lot of interaction.between chatacters and audience. One thing I thought was genius was the different smells that floated through the room from the smell of bo and stale sweat during the rave scene through a sickly sweet smell when they were cooking up smack to.the stench of ***** and fried food during another scene.

It was also good to see a show so politically correct with graffiti such as 'jambo ****', '**** Wallace Mercer' and 'Hibees' as well as Renton looking superb in his 1972 Scottish Cup final shirt.

danhibees1875
14-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Used to work at the festival when I was a student and go to loads of shows for free. The whole thing is fairly expensive now so I've been to a few things and will try to get to the odd other show when possible.

Foil arms and hog- really funny sketch comedy
Pete firman- magician/ comedian
Festival of the spoken nerd- if you're a bit geeky and appreciate a bit of physics/ maths humour then this is definitely worth a visit.

Been to a couple others, but those were the highlights.

Got to a couple of free shows too which have been decent. Think I'll try to go to a couple of the "fast fringe" type shows where you get 5-15 minutes per comedian to showcase their stuff.

patch1875
17-08-2015, 07:44 PM
If your looking for a show to take the kids too try Morgan & West's magic show it's great!

They do an adults show also.

easty
17-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Saw Tony Law and Stewart Lee yesterday. Both very worth seeing, Stewart Lee was excellent though.

Mon Dieu4
17-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Just in from watching Frankie Boyle who was in relentless form, didn't miss anyone :greengrin

Speedy
18-08-2015, 07:55 AM
I was at the Gilded Balloon Gala on Saturday.

Lasted almost 4 hours. Highlight for me was Tommy Tiernan, I'd never heard of him before but he was brilliant.

Matty_Jack04
18-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Got tickets for Tom stade tomorrow night at the assembly rooms looking forward too it, spending most of the day in and around town so any pointers or free show recommendations would be welcome got my mrs and her bro and sis in law coming through from the Weege so I'd like to at least look like I know what I'm doing with the festival lark :wink:

MSK
18-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Got tickets for Tom stade tomorrow night at the assembly rooms looking forward too it, spending most of the day in and around town so any pointers or free show recommendations would be welcome got my mrs and her bro and sis in law coming through from the Weege so I'd like to at least look like I know what I'm doing with the festival lark :wink:Havent had the chance to see Tom Stade this year, and was really hoping to get to one of his shows, saw him a couple of years ago at the Pleasance then last year at the Assembly rooms in George Street, brilliant gigs.

Matty_Jack04
18-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Havent had the chance to see Tom Stade this year, and was really hoping to get to one of his shows, saw him a couple of years ago at the Pleasance then last year at the Assembly rooms in George Street, brilliant gigs.

Ive been wanting to see him for a while so really looking forward to it, the crowd I'm going with hadn't heard of him so the pressure is on but he's brilliant I'm sure he won't fail me

MSK
18-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Ive been wanting to see him for a while so really looking forward to it, the crowd I'm going with hadn't heard of him so the pressure is on but he's brilliant I'm sure he won't fail meIm sure he won't disappoint mate, his crowd interaction is great, I remember going to his preview show at the Pleasance and he interacted with a young Chinese lad in the front row about them holidaying in Afghanistan, very clever and brilliant. Let us know how it goes 👍

Mr White
18-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I was at the Gilded Balloon Gala on Saturday.

Lasted almost 4 hours. Highlight for me was Tommy Tiernan, I'd never heard of him before but he was brilliant.

We saw tommy tiernan 5 or 6 years ago and he was funny as.

Scouse Hibee
19-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Any reccomendations for this Friday night, for something I am likely to get tickets for me and the missus?

TRC
19-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Any reccomendations for this Friday night, for something I am likely to get tickets for me and the missus?

If you loke Jazz this is well worth a visit.
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/lillian-boutte-crescent-city-cutie

CallumLaidlaw
19-08-2015, 11:05 AM
If your looking for a show to take the kids too try Morgan & West's magic show it's great!

They do an adults show also.

I took my lad to see "Funz and Gamez Tooz" at the Assembly george square gardens. Good fun for the kids but absolutely hilarious for the adults!!

Matty_Jack04
20-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Im sure he won't disappoint mate, his crowd interaction is great, I remember going to his preview show at the Pleasance and he interacted with a young Chinese lad in the front row about them holidaying in Afghanistan, very clever and brilliant. Let us know how it goes 

He was Brilliant mate, cheekbones where in agony by the end met the man himself at the end too well worth a visit if you can manage it

Chip shop Joe
20-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Went to see Jason Byrne who was, as always, bloody brilliant!

Also saw Game of Thrones the musical which was great and a must see if you are a fan of the TV series.

CallumLaidlaw
21-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Went to see Jason Byrne who was, as always, bloody brilliant!

Also saw Game of Thrones the musical which was great and a must see if you are a fan of the TV series.

Good stuff, I'm going to both these shows on wednesday as well as Andrew Maxwell & Mark Watson :aok:

Jack
22-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Went to see Craig Hill playing with his selfie last night.

Must be more than half a dozen times now and still the tears are running down my cheeks.

If anyone hasn't seen him I'd suggest sitting down the front.

MSK
23-08-2015, 08:09 AM
He was Brilliant mate, cheekbones where in agony by the end met the man himself at the end too well worth a visit if you can manage itExcellent stuff, probably won't get the chance to see him this time round but defo pencilled in for next year 👍

hibeelady
23-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Just seen Ian Stirling - pretty good for £10 and stood outside at the end to thank people for coming

Speedy
24-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Since my last post I've seen:

Michael Che - brilliant! Had never heard of him before but I'd definitely recommend.

Javier Jarquin: Card Ninja - good fun show. Will see in again in future shows.

Andrew Lawrence - see what people meant about him coming across as bitter. Funny at the start though and his message is quite thought provoking, even if it does come across as a lecture.

Puppet Fiction - different scene this time, enjoyed it just as much second time round.

bigwheel
24-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Just seen Ian Stirling - pretty good for £10 and stood outside at the end to thank people for coming

And a Hibee ! :)

danhibees1875
24-08-2015, 11:19 PM
And a Hibee ! :)

I seen him at the start of the festival. I thought he was really good but didn't know he was a hibee! Even better! ☺

Pretty Boy
25-08-2015, 07:08 AM
This years funniest joke announced:

'I deleted all the German contacts from my phone. It's Hans free.'

It always amazes me that with hundreds of acts to choose from the funniest joke is so often won by something that sounds like it came straight from a Christmas cracker.

Frazerbob
25-08-2015, 03:33 PM
This years funniest joke announced:

'I deleted all the German contacts from my phone. It's Hans free.'

It always amazes me that with hundreds of acts to choose from the funniest joke is so often won by something that sounds like it came straight from a Christmas cracker.

Apparently he had another joke about German sausages but that was the wurst!

The best was a few years ago......Hedgehogs, why can't they just share?

Love that ****!

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-08-2015, 11:35 PM
My cat is recovering from a massive stroke was the winners personal favourite.

johnbc70
26-08-2015, 12:39 PM
conjunctivitis.com that's a site for sore eyes.

easty
26-08-2015, 12:51 PM
It's prob not my favourite ever festival joke but I did laugh quite a bit at this one -

Stewart Lee on James Corden relocating: "Our loss is America's loss".