:flag::flag:

Billy
05-08-2015, 11:02 PM

monktonharp
05-08-2015, 11:31 PM
many HAPPY returns. :flag:

Greencore
05-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Happy birthday hibernian, here's to another 140 years GGTTH.

matty_f
06-08-2015, 01:26 AM
Happy birthday to the greatest football club there is.

WillowbraeHibby
06-08-2015, 04:35 AM
Happy Birthday Hibernian Football Club.... Mostly heartache in my time, with the odd moments of glory... But yer still my Club...

GGTTH :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::aok:

​140.... STILL GOING STRONG....

Waxy
06-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Happy birthday Hibees.

ALF TUPPER
06-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Happy Birthday Hibernian FC. :applause:

weecounty hibby
06-08-2015, 06:19 AM
Happy birthday Hibernian. The classiest football club there is

St Pats Branch
06-08-2015, 06:20 AM
And if you know your history....

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/history/

EdinMike
06-08-2015, 06:53 AM

Brilliant ! Happy birthday Hibernian !

southsider
06-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Brilliant ! Happy birthday Hibernian !

So are we the oldest "Irish" team, still playing, in the world ? The oldest team, again still playing, wearing green in the world ?

micka_weer
06-08-2015, 07:03 AM
Happy 140th 😀

O'Rourke3
06-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Happy Birthday to us

Waxy
06-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Party in St Marystreet halls.
It's still there. Wonder if people can still get access to it?

EdinMike
06-08-2015, 07:26 AM
So are we the oldest "Irish" team, still playing, in the world ? The oldest team, again still playing, wearing green in the world ?

Now that is a very good question, which I would want an answer to...

Bostonhibby
06-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Now that is a very good question, which I would want an answer to...
First to wear the green.[emoji106]

Hibby Gav
06-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Happy birthday to the greatest football club there is.

Says it all !

ggtth

EdinMike
06-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Are there Irish Gaelic Football teams before us or are we talking "Soccer"

matty_f
06-08-2015, 08:05 AM

That was really interesting, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

southsider
06-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Are there Irish Gaelic Football teams before us or are we talking "Soccer"

Cliftonville are the oldest existing football club, founded 1878 and are original members of the Football Association of Ireland, founded in 1879. So we are therefore the oldest "Irish" football club in the world. We really need to shout this from the fooftops to Glasgow and the world.

erin go bragh
06-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Happy birthday Hibernian fc ,Hib Hib hooray . 140 years and still going strong

GGTTH

southern hibby
06-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Was at a wedding in Easter road reception in the main stand and had a walk around the cabinets with all the old strips information etc. I saw a map and history of Hibs there and it said Hibs very first game was against hearts on Christmas Eve 1875.
This would go against ( albeit very small time scale ) the information that we started playing in 1876 against teams. Or it could be we got to play games before joining the association.
Either way I'm proud of our history, our determination to make it ( join the association) and most of all our football club.
GGTTH

SON OF PADDY
06-08-2015, 08:45 AM
My fellow HIBERNIAN supporters,It's a Proud day to be a HIBBY Happy Birthday to the Team that would not Die. GGTTH

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Scottish team.

FranckSuzy
06-08-2015, 09:00 AM
It will be an honour and privilege to accept a donation tonight from the HSA towards KfK STs, which is entirely appropriate given it's our 'birthday'. Hibernian: doing things the right way since 1875.

bigwheel
06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Isn't it wonderful to think on the young men who at this time , many years ago, created our believed club. We have a lot to thank them for - their memories live on!

GGTTH

liamh2202
06-08-2015, 09:17 AM

Nope , don't know if your fishing but I follow a scottish team from leith not an 'Irish' team

Feed McGraw
06-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Happy Birthday Hibs - love you xx.

Andy74
06-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Nope , don't know if your fishing but I follow a scottish team from leith not an 'Irish' team

I would think that as well as who the club was founded by, people are making a reference to the name of the club, which does mean 'Irish' so you do follow an 'Irish' team.

So sad that people can't separate the country of Ireland from the political crap our friends in the West are still into. Any mention of Ireland and people start to want to distance themselves.

Anyway, 140 years is a great achievement.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2015, 09:32 AM
I would think that as well as who the club was founded by, people are making a reference to the name of the club, which does mean 'Irish' so you do follow an 'Irish' team.

So sad that people can't separate the country of Ireland from the political crap our friends in the West are still into. Any mention of Ireland and people start to want to distance themselves.

Liam never mentioned politics but, simply stated we are a Scottish team, seems fair enough to me.

1875godsgift
06-08-2015, 09:35 AM

Indeed!

Happy Birthday Hibernian 💚💚💚💚💚

Proud of where we come from and proud of where we're going.

liamh2202
06-08-2015, 09:50 AM

I have been brought up supporting a local team from Leith. Not once have I ever classed hibs as an Irish team, yes I know our history but do I see any relevance of our history in today's society ? No. This thread aside the only time I see public celebration of our history is points scoring against Celtic or using it as an excuse to get involved in the very political issues you have just accused me of. ( the only games you will see tri colours at er are against hearts and rangers.) So yes I believe 140 years after our formation we should celebrate a community club in leith , followed by a diverse support and not get hooked up on being an Irish club which clearly we are not

The Harp
06-08-2015, 09:57 AM
... Back on topic!
Happy Birthday Hibernian.
Here's to the next 140.
Still here and still striving.
God Bless the Hibs!

liamh2202
06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
... Back on topic!
Happy Birthday Hibernian.
Here's to the next 140.
Still here and still striving.
God Bless the Hibs!

Indeed

Blaster
06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Scottish team founded by Irishmen

Simple really

Andy74
06-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Liam never mentioned politics but, simply stated we are a Scottish team, seems fair enough to me.

You've both come on the thread to make the point we aren't Irish though, why the need? It's in the name, it is part of our history and therefore our present and it's not something we have to disassociate ourselves with for any reason.

Saying you don't support an 'Irish' team when the name means 'Irish' is a little odd. I think we all know we don't play in Ireland.

I don't think we need this argument any time the meaning of our club name is mentioned.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2015, 10:21 AM
You've both come on the thread to make the point we aren't Irish though, why the need? It's in the name, it is part of our history and therefore our present and it's not something we have to disassociate ourselves with for any reason.

Saying you don't support an 'Irish' team when the name means 'Irish' is a little odd. I think we all know we don't play in Ireland.

I don't think we need this argument any time the meaning of our club name is mentioned.

We're still not an 'irish' team though, we're Scottish. Anyway, I'm out.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Happy Birthday Hibs 💚

The Harp
06-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Party in St Marystreet halls.
It's still there. Wonder if people can still get access to it?

Still think we should have a plaque on the exterior of the building (at a high enough height to avoid vandalism) highlighting the fact that we were formed there on this date in 1875. Back in the day, the St Pat's scout troop had their concerts in the Halls so I was in there then as a kid. More recently I attended a Council course in the building. Pretty sure it's now the Edinburgh Training and Conference Venue. Might not be too difficult to gain access and have a look around.

Pretty Boy
06-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Well said.

Proud of our beginnings, proud of our history and proud of our present.

Here's to the next 140.

The Harp Awakes
06-08-2015, 10:53 AM
It would have been a proud occasion for Canon Hannan and Michael Whelehan if they were around today. They would scarcely have believed the Club would still be here 140 years on, given the struggles it had to survive in the early years.

Hibernian, the team that would not die.

Waxy
06-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Still think we should have a plaque on the exterior of the building (at a high enough height to avoid vandalism) highlighting the fact that we were formed there on this date in 1875. Back in the day, the St Pat's scout troop had their concerts in the Halls so I was in there then as a kid. More recently I attended a Council course in the building. Pretty sure it's now the Edinburgh Training and Conference Venue. Might not be too difficult to gain access and have a look around.I can imagine the scenes in the halls the night we took the Scottish cup there in 1887.No matter what Hibs mean to anyone, the story of our first 20 years is an incrediblle story.Yes there should be a plaque put up there i agree.

liamh2202
06-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I can imagine the scenes in the halls the night we took the Scottish cup there in 1887.No matter what Hibs mean to anyone, the story of our first 20 years is an incrediblle story.Yes there should be a plaque put up there i agree.

Yes would have been amazing. Only to be topped by taking the cup back to Leith in 2016

St Pats Branch
06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Hibernian, the team that would not die.

Maybe for another thread but 2015 marks 25 years since Wallace Mercer tried and failed to kill us off.

We're a club with a unique, special history and one we should be proud of both on and off the field.

Glory Glory

BSEJVT
06-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Although is not all been a bed of roses, supporting Hibs has given me some of the happiest moments of my entire life.

The good times far far outweigh the bad.

We are and always have been a club that did the right thing and stood up for what we and who we believed in.

Glory Glory to the Hibees.

1two
06-08-2015, 12:49 PM

You're absolutely correct, having played in the Scottish leagues for 140 years we are very much a Scottish team.

However to not recognise our Irish routes and modern asssociation to that would be a disservice and denial of the unjust treatment of our founding fathers.

"Football was played in the Meadows and when the Club applied to join the Edinburgh Football Association, the Club were informed that they must first apply to Scottish Football Association, who in turn informed the Club that they only catered for Scotsmen and that Irish were not permitted. In 1876, Hibernian Football Club were finally admitted to the Edinburgh FA and after playing at numerous venues, land was acquired for the first Hibernian Park, which was situated where Bothwell Street now stands."

It's nothing to be ashamed of and doesn't liken is to that west coast club in any way - if that is indeed what you're concerned about!

southsider
06-08-2015, 01:04 PM
As it is our birthday hope we are allowed a little fun. Out of our 140 years I have been going to ER for 50 years which is approx. 35% of our life. Who can claim the longest ?

liamh2202
06-08-2015, 01:20 PM
As it is our birthday hope we are allowed a little fun. Out of our 140 years I have been going to ER for 50 years which is approx. 35% of our life. Who can claim the longest ?

Hats off 26 years for me, first game when I was two. Sometimes wonder what I done to deserve it at such young and age haha

Kato
06-08-2015, 01:40 PM
I have been brought up supporting a local team from Leith. Not once have I ever classed hibs as an Irish team, yes I know our history but do I see any relevance of our history in today's society ? No. This thread aside the only time I see public celebration of our history is points scoring against Celtic or using it as an excuse to get involved in the very political issues you have just accused me of. ( the only games you will see tri colours at er are against hearts and rangers.) So yes I believe 140 years after our formation we should celebrate a community club in leith , followed by a diverse support and not get hooked up on being an Irish club which clearly we are not

There are plenty people who celebrate Hibs roots without resorting to point scoring or flag waving, but you are conveniently ignoring them.

Hibs fans form a broad church. There's room for everyone to see all facets of the club and it's history.

e.g. You mention Leith a lot ignoring Hibs are an Edinburgh team, formed in Edinburgh by guys living and working in Edinburgh.

We just happen to play near Leith.

liamh2202
06-08-2015, 01:44 PM
There are plenty people who celebrate Hibs roots without resorting to point scoring or flag waving, but you are conveniently ignoring them.

Hibs fans form a broad church. There's room for everyone to see all facets of the club and it's history.

e.g. You mention Leith a lot ignoring Hibs are an Edinburgh team, formed in Edinburgh by guys living and working in Edinburgh.

We just happen to play near Leith.

I'm not ignoring them buddy and I'm interested in our history, but I think its plain wrong to label us an Irish team in this day in history and something that I find is only usually hung on to by the flag wavers ;) . The Leigh/Edinburgh thing is splitting hairs.

The_Sauz
06-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Happy birthday Hibernian Football Club.......140 years without cheating :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
06-08-2015, 01:57 PM
happy burfday to HFC :flag: couldn't give a toss if we were founded by those nawty kaffliks :cb although i'm sure there's a very small amount of hibs fans that would like to sweep our beginnings under the carpet, even my late auld man used to tell me he disliked seeing all the priests in the main stand, but that was the old days and we moved on from that decades ago, all are welcome:thumbsup:

PatHead
06-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Many Hibby returns everyone.

PatHead
06-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Maybe for another thread but 2015 marks 25 years since Wallace Mercer tried and failed to kill us off.

We're a club with a unique, special history and one we should be proud of both on and off the field.

Glory Glory

Being marked at our first home game as is the 140th anniversary.

sauzee1966
06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Also my son's birthday now aged 8. Born the same day we beat hearts 0-1

Although is not all been a bed of roses, supporting Hibs has given me some of the happiest moments of my entire life.

e good times far far outweigh the bad.

We are and always have been a club that did the right thing and stood up for what we and who we believed in.

Glory Glory to the Hibees.

The Pointer
06-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Happy Birthday Hibs!

Been watching you since 1969 and now my bairns (well - in their twenties!) are both Hibees.

:flag:

Cheshire Hibby
06-08-2015, 08:06 PM
First ever post and great to say happy birthday to our club. :flag:GGTTH

Seekyit
06-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Happy Birthday, Hibernian Football Club.

:flag:

monktonharp
07-08-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm not ignoring them buddy and I'm interested in our history, but I think its plain wrong to label us an Irish team in this day in history and something that I find is only usually hung on to by the flag wavers ;) . The Leigh/Edinburgh thing is splitting hairs.cant get what you are on about when saying flag wavers. I want to wave a Palestinian flag when next at the holy ground, and if anyone objects then tough! our club has survived for such a long time when many would have been glad to see it die. don't ever forget that.

liamh2202
07-08-2015, 07:28 AM
cant get what you are on about when saying flag wavers. I want to wave a Palestinian flag when next at the holy ground, and if anyone objects then tough! our club has survived for such a long time when many would have been glad to see it die. don't ever forget that.

Good for you.