PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hegarty post match comments

stanton_4
04-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Interesting comment from the big fella regarding how the patience of the fans benefitted the team. Makes me wonder how many managers in the past have used the Hibs fans impatience against us.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/33753455

Baldy Foghorn
04-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Would say most teams when playing away from home, always try to stifle the home team, and try to get the home fans to turn on the home team due to impatience, frustration etc. We are no different to every other team including Celtic or Chelsea for that matter....

brog
04-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Would say most teams when playing away from home, always try to stifle the home team, and try to get the home fans to turn on the home team due to impatience, frustration etc. We are no different to every other team including Celtic or Chelsea for that matter....

Aye but Celtc & Chelsea's expectations may reasonably be higher than ours! 😉

--------
04-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Paul Hegarty was very positive and gracious there - a pity more managers can't be like that.

The big guy was a class act when he was playing - terrific player for United and Scotland.

Iggy Pope
04-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Aye but Celtc & Chelsea's expectations may reasonably be higher than ours! 

They expect to win every home game. Me too.

Iggy Pope
04-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Paul Hegarty was very positive and gracious there - a pity more managers can't be like that.

The big guy was a class act when he was playing - terrific player for United and Scotland.

Agree with this. A great player and I always believed his background meant he was a Hibby. Later found this not to be quite the case, but he was part of a brilliant United side. He would have looked good in a Hibs strip. Sadly unthinkable at the time as we were largely very *****.

Jonnyboy
04-08-2015, 06:59 PM

Spot on, Doddie :agree:

Nevi_SOL
04-08-2015, 08:06 PM

I agree. Was good to hear an honest manager. Big respect

Tinribs
04-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I had a bit of a senior moment watching Hegarty being interviewed, i didn't read the BBC description of who was talking and thought to myself, i know that old guy from somewhere. Was a little shocked when i realised it was PH, who i remember watching in his prime. We all get older, but it made me think :agree:

givescotlandfreedom
05-08-2015, 02:03 AM
Hegarty was very passionate on the touch line and kicking every ball from the dugout. Good to see.

IWasThere2016
05-08-2015, 05:20 AM
Cousin to a poster in here, Paul is a gent.

Spoke to him last a year or so ago and he is a class act.

--------
05-08-2015, 09:28 AM
I had a bit of a senior moment watching Hegarty being interviewed, i didn't read the BBC description of who was talking and thought to myself, i know that old guy from somewhere. Was a little shocked when i realised it was PH, who i remember watching in his prime. We all get older, but it made me think :agree:

You think Paul Hegarty looks OLD???????????????????

Jings - wait till you get to my age, mate.

(Dribble, dribble, drool smilie.)

fatbloke
05-08-2015, 11:13 AM

I worked beside Paul as an 18 year old at Scottish Widows before his move to DUFC. Quiet unassuming guy glad he had success as a player and hope he has some as a manager/coach.

jaba1875
05-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Montrose class :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
05-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Paul came across very well in his interview. Hope the best for him and his team this season.

IberianHibernian
05-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Agree with this. A great player and I always believed his background meant he was a Hibby. Later found this not to be quite the case, but he was part of a brilliant United side. He would have looked good in a Hibs strip. Sadly unthinkable at the time as we were largely very *****.I can remember a brother of his , Kevin , who played briefly for Hearts , getting light hearted abuse from our fans in the Cave for playing for them and Hearts fans being wound up for having one of us in their ranks . He was obviously known by a lot of our support . Was part of a great Dundee United team which probably deserved much more recognition than they got .

Mibbes Aye
05-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Very good player in a side that was often very, very good.

He was of a generation where to be a central defender or central midfielder meant you faced really stiff competition to get a Scotland cap.

I remember 1982 - Hegarty didn't make it to Spain despite Dundee United really starting to emerge as a force.

When you look who did go though, it tells a story - Miller, McLeish, Narey, Hansen and Evans. All but Narey had or would win European trophies (Narey would have to settle for a runners-up medal) and all would win league championships. With the two Aberdeen players it was multiple domestic trophies. As for Hansen, can you imagine a Scottish player playing at centre-half in three European Cup winning sides now? Essentially they would have to be good enough for Bayern or Barca.

Different times :greengrin

Tinribs
06-08-2015, 01:12 AM
Very good player in a side that was often very, very good.

He was of a generation where to be a central defender or central midfielder meant you faced really stiff competition to get a Scotland cap.

I remember 1982 - Hegarty didn't make it to Spain despite Dundee United really starting to emerge as a force.

When you look who did go though, it tells a story - Miller, McLeish, Narey, Hansen and Evans. All but Narey had or would win European trophies (Narey would have to settle for a runners-up medal) and all would win league championships. With the two Aberdeen players it was multiple domestic trophies. As for Hansen, can you imagine a Scottish player playing at centre-half in three European Cup winning sides now? Essentially they would have to be good enough for Bayern or Barca.

Different times :greengrin

The thing is though, they were. Changed days aye, but those guys were world class :wink:

Iggy Pope
06-08-2015, 03:21 PM
I can remember a brother of his , Kevin , who played briefly for Hearts , getting light hearted abuse from our fans in the Cave for playing for them and Hearts fans being wound up for having one of us in their ranks . He was obviously known by a lot of our support . Was part of a great Dundee United team which probably deserved much more recognition than they got .

Indeed. I also remember Tom O'Maley telling me he had taught Paul Hegarty.(Although, not how to play football obviously). A St. Anthony's boy then, and, without starting a flag debate, a good chance of being a Hibby. Possibly not, but still a great player for his club and probably still revered by Arabs everywhere.
We got Billy Kirkwood!