PDA

View Full Version : Why was this a free kick?

CockneyRebel
02-08-2015, 02:16 PM
JC runs toward opposition goalie who beats him to the ball and picks it up. JC turns and starts walking away. Goalie takes drop kick and cocks it up, belting into JC's back. Ref down the other end of the pitch gives a free kick against JC. Could anyone explain to me where a foul was committed? Was it bad refereeing or am I talking mince?

The linesman on the east touchline - horrific performance.

ManBearPig
02-08-2015, 02:18 PM
It's mental if he had intentionally got in the way much like Riordan did against hearts keeper a few years back its a free kick as the ball is considered to be getting kicked in one fluid movement. But this was more like makalamby against Aberdeen moment.

Never a FK

liamh2202
02-08-2015, 02:19 PM
JC runs toward opposition goalie who beats him to the ball and picks it up. JC turns and starts walking away. Goalie takes drop kick and cocks it up, belting into JC's back. Ref down the other end of the pitch gives a free kick against JC. Could anyone explain to me where a foul was committed? Was it bad refereeing or am I talking mince?

The linesman on the east touchline - horrific performance.

Its against the rules to impede a goalkeeper when attempting to distribute the ball. In other words its up to JC to get out the way unfortunately

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Its against the rules to impede a goalkeeper when attempting to distribute the ball. In other words its up to JC to get out the way unfortunately

He never impeded him.

liamh2202
02-08-2015, 02:27 PM
He never impeded him.

I missed it but if he was close enough to have the ball kicked off him then I would suggest he did?

CockneyRebel
02-08-2015, 02:30 PM

JC was walking away from the keeper, he was not standing still so I don't see how it could be seen as impeding the keeper. The keeper can see JC quite clearly and JC does not have a rear view mirror. The keeper was totally at fault, the ball bounced back to him anyway so we gained no advantage and IMO it should have been just play on.

It made not the slightest difference to the match so I won't moan any more, I just get so annoyed at officials who seem to make it up as they go along.

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 02:38 PM
I missed it but if he was close enough to have the ball kicked off him then I would suggest he did?

He was walking away with his back to the keeper!

The_Sauz
02-08-2015, 02:50 PM
We lost a goal in Aberdeen a few years back when big Maka tried to kick the ball up-field, when Miller took a step in front of him, and then the ball hit him and went into the net....goal given!
The old rule was...You can't move with the keeper when he is kicking from hand :agree:

Chibs
02-08-2015, 03:44 PM
He never impeded him.
One of the best goals I have ever seen was scored by George Best against England and was disallowed for no reason.:greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdSpwVZ2MM

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 03:47 PM
One of the best goals I have ever seen was scored by George Best against England and was disallowed for no reason.:greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdSpwVZ2MM

Disallowed goals against England are not debatable :-)

Bayern Bru
02-08-2015, 04:23 PM
We lost a goal in Aberdeen a few years back when big Maka tried to kick the ball up-field, when Miller took a step in front of him, and then the ball hit him and went into the net....goal given!
The old rule was...You can't move with the keeper when he is kicking from hand :agree:

Looks more like Miller was blocking him and Maka booted the ball off him to try and get a free-kick or prove a point and instead sold a goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8tAcWp64g

Was a bonkers game. Aluko missed a penalty, Murray was sent off and of course, Maka's howler.

Here's our team: Ma-Kalambay; van Zanten, Jones (O’Brien 67), Bamba, Murray; Thicot, Rankin, Chisholm, Stevenson; Fletcher (Johansson 81), Riordan. Subs not used: McNeil, Keenan, Campbell, McCormack, Cropley.

ancient hibee
02-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Cummings was 3/4 yards away with his back to the goalie who either miskicked or deliberately (in which case it was a sending off and a penalty) kicked it at Cummings who had his back turned.The ref also had his back turned so guessed at what happened.

liamh2202
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Cummings was 3/4 yards away with his back to the goalie who either miskicked or deliberately (in which case it was a sending off and a penalty) kicked it at Cummings who had his back turned.The ref also had his back turned so guessed at what happened.

Lol a penalty and red for what? Ho many times do players play the ball off another play.. What a strange statement

ancient hibee
02-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Lol a penalty and red for what? Ho many times do players play the ball off another play.. What a strange statement

I didn't say he played the ball off Cummings-I said if he deliberately kicked it at him-a totally different thing.

percy veer
02-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Would love to know the ref at this game?

MSK
02-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Would love to know the ref at this game?John Beaton

liamh2202
02-08-2015, 05:59 PM
I didn't say he played the ball off Cummings-I said if he deliberately kicked it at him-a totally different thing.

Not at all . you can deliberately kick the ball off an opponent can you not ?

CockneyRebel
02-08-2015, 08:12 PM

Only if you want to get booked - you get booked for throwing the ball at a player never mind kicking it!

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Of course you can, see it all the time to win a throw in or goal kick.

greenlex
02-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Of course you can, see it all the time to win a throw in or goal kick.

Playing the ball off an opponent is completely different from kicking the ball at an opponent. There is a difference. One might get you a throw in, corner or goal kick. The other will get you a red.

greenlex
02-08-2015, 08:30 PM

See above.

Future17
02-08-2015, 08:36 PM

He never impeded him.

Lol a penalty and red for what? How many times do players play the ball off another play.. What a strange statement

You do enjoy a bit of :stirrer: don't you? :greengrin

At first on this thread your suggesting that being close enough to have the ball kicked off you is "impeding" a player, then you change tack to suggest that players kick the ball of other players all the time?

If you're going to be a :troll: then at least be consistent!

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Playing the ball off an opponent is completely different from kicking the ball at an opponent. There is a difference. One might get you a throw in, corner or goal kick. The other will get you a red.

Yes I know, I answered the question of whether you could kick the ball off an opponent.

liamh2202
02-08-2015, 08:40 PM
You do enjoy a bit of :stirrer: don't you? :greengrin

At first on this thread your suggesting that being close enough to have the ball kicked off you is "impeding" a player, then you change tack to suggest that players kick the ball of other players all the time?

If you're going to be a :troll: then at least be consistent!

It was in relation to two different conversations.. I am biased as I'm a keeper lol. But if you noticed I did say I didn't see the incident in question. In a game though you can deliberately kick a ball off an opponent.

Future17
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
It was in relation to two different conversations.. I am biased as I'm a keeper lol. But if you noticed I did say I didn't see the incident in question. In a game though you can deliberately kick a ball off an opponent.

That explains it! :greengrin

I know what you're saying, but it's against the laws of the game to "impede" any player. There has to be specific guidance given to refs on these situations otherwise keepers could just whack the ball off opposition players whenever they felt like it, safe in the knowledge that they'll get the free kick.

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but it sounds like a classic example of the ref not having seen the incident and guessing at what has happened whilst taking the safe option.

Centre Hawf
02-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Cummings knew what he was doing. He wasn't walking away he was standing side on trying to entice the keeper into fluffing his kick, which is fair enough, but he ran the risk of getting caught with the ball which he did. Foul.