PDA

View Full Version : 5,953

Torto7062
01-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Really poor crowd today I bet Leanne and Stubbsy are wondering what else to do to bring in the fans

Sir David Gray
01-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Really poor crowd today I bet Leanne and Stubbsy are wondering what else to do to bring in the fans

I'm not sure that any club would have had much more than that for a home match in the 1st round of the League Cup against Montrose, with the exception of Celtic and Sevco.

It was always going to be a low crowd.

Waxy
01-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Yes it's a nationwide problem, not just ours.

01-08-2015, 07:37 PM
I wouldnt look to much into it tbh. Poor crowd yes but it was a 1st round tie with montrose (hardly glamerous for the walk up fan) and a lot of folk are still away on holiday etc.

GreenCastle
01-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Looked more in the stadium!

More than the Dumbarton game this time last season in the League Cup...

5066 for that one with more away fans!

2872 at Hamilton today
3307 at ICT
5207 at Killie today

These crowds should be more of a worry for the SPFL

Torto7062
01-08-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure that any club would have had much more than that for a home match in the 1st round of the League Cup against Montrose, with the exception of Celtic and Sevco.

It was always going to be a low crowd.

Cheaper prices,guaranteed win ;) chance to bring young ones to encourage them

I think THEM,Dons and UTD would easily have more.

Could understand if it was on TV :(

GreenCastle
01-08-2015, 07:41 PM

Yams had 6240 - with 250 Arbroath fans at game!

Torto7062
01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
11,225 against Rangers and 3500 were Ogres...

So we're down 2500 odd fans from last week...I hear what your saying ref other teams but Hibs are doing everything to entice the fans back and to me it doesn't seem to be working....

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2015, 07:46 PM
3pm on a Saturday and a game we're almost certain to win. Not seeing many reasons not to go.

Sir David Gray
01-08-2015, 07:46 PM

Hearts got a massive 300 more fans at their match against Arbroath the other night.

Aberdeen possibly would have done although I'm not certain about that.

Dundee Utd, no chance, they struggle to get much more than that for a lot of their league matches.

lord bunberry
01-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Let's not kid ourselves on that was a piss poor attendance today. We need a spark to get people back, a real sign that we've turned the corner.

Bishop Hibee
01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I thought the attendance was ok. Most of my mates who have STs were on holiday or didn't fancy paying £15 on top of the ST price.

high bee
01-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Hearts got a massive 300 more fans at their match against Arbroath the other night.

Aberdeen possibly would have done although I'm not certain about that.

Dundee Utd, no chance, they struggle to get much more than that for a lot of their league matches.

DUTD only managed 7200 in Feb when it was £5 to get in and they played ICT who took a good thousand. DUTD vs Partick in 2013, league cup, they had 3778.

Aberdeen played Alloa in the League Cup in 2013, they had 4900 at the game. In 2014 vs Livi they had 6454.

lord bunberry
01-08-2015, 08:02 PM
DUTD only managed 7200 in Feb when it was £5 to get in and they played ICT who took a good thousand. DUTD vs Partick in 2013, league cup, they had 3778.

Aberdeen played Alloa in the League Cup in 2013, they had 4900 at the game. In 2014 vs Livi they had 6454.
We're bigger than that ***** though

FromTheCapital
01-08-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm finding it hard to believe we've not sold out for Dumbarton! Only 700 tickets ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebrighibs
01-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Not a great attendance although the reality as others have stated, crowds are down probably down to holiday season. Also, it is difficult to get motivated for another season. It is the price we are paying for a lack of success on the pitch. No reflection on the current management on and off the pitch, but reality bites.

high bee
01-08-2015, 08:06 PM
We're bigger than that ***** though

Yes I don't think it matters really, it was in relation to the claim that those 3 would easily get higher attendances than us.

iwasthere1972
01-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Nearly 6,000. Not bad considering it's the first round, playing Montrose and unless you had a cup top up then you had to pay.

I've seen worse crowds in the English Championship for similar games.

greenginger
01-08-2015, 08:20 PM
45,197 " attendance " given for Celtic Park.

I saw some of the game on the telly. lucky if the place was a quarter full.

Nando™
01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm finding it hard to believe we've not sold out for Dumbarton! Only 700 tickets ffs

Still a whole week to go.

lord bunberry
01-08-2015, 08:40 PM

I think lots of people were put off by statements like "360 points will never be enough" only to be pleasantly surprised that it was.:wink:

green day
01-08-2015, 08:46 PM

It's a points issue, don't worry.

Those who have the requisite points can wait until last minute.

I didn't even bother looking as I only have the season ticket points plus a few from last year.

adhibs
01-08-2015, 09:01 PM

honestly? I know they cook the numbers big time but id say it was like a quarter empty

Sir David Gray
01-08-2015, 09:03 PM

They do exaggerate their attendances but there was more than 15000 there today.

Pretty Boy
01-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Is the attendance today not about standard for us in recent years in the early rounds of this competition when we draw lower league teams?

I definitely remember sub 7000 for at least a couple of midweek games in recent years.

7 Up
01-08-2015, 09:10 PM

Don't mean to be flippant, but not losing 2-6 to our league rivals would be a start. Last week will have dented early season enthusiasm amongst some of the more casual fans.

cabbageandribs1875
01-08-2015, 09:34 PM
only a team that wins consistently will get the fans drifting back, i wonder how many fans have been lost to the game forever due to the poor running of our club/poor home performances for the last several years

edwards
01-08-2015, 09:57 PM
only a team that wins consistently will get the fans drifting back, i wonder how many fans have been lost to the game forever due to the poor running of our club/poor home performances for the last several years

Hit the nail on the head I think the fans are still out there but it's up to the club to bring us success, last weeks result didn't help at all and if you want the fans through the door we have to win on a more regular basis.

brog
01-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Yams won the league in a canter, they truly believe they'll be top 3 this year & yet they had only 100 more fans for their game. It's not really all about success or lack of it, it's more down to Scottish football falling apart, not helped by starting the season with 2 minor cup games for which season tickets weren't valid. Can you imagine England starting next Sat with Chelsea-Hartlepool or Man U-Rochdale? We have no idea how to market our game!

Ronniekirk
01-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Not a great attendance although the reality as others have stated, crowds are down probably down to holiday season. Also, it is difficult to get motivated for another season. It is the price we are paying for a lack of success on the pitch. No reflection on the current management on and off the pitch, but reality bites.

We are where we are for reasons well documented . However given recent events the Board have made it clear they feel they are stepping up to the plate in trying to show ambition ,by not selling S. A and in signing John McGinn .
Leeann has issued e mails appealing for more backing from the fans to try and further realise that ambition and it's clear some are buying into that ,but if we can't start growing the support the law of diminishing returns sets in at some point ,and another season in the Championship is something we need to avoid .
We seem to be at the point where we say the team need to go on a winning run and hopefully that starts against Dumbarton .But the Board will be hoping that home attendances start to incrementally increase even by small amounts home game by home game ,as evidence that they are seeing fans gradually buying into what we are trying to do . Leeann inherited the mess,but is clearly striving to change things for the better ,but at some point we do need attendances to start creeping up .
Having our strongest first eleven with Good options from the bench capable of changing a game would help , but it's a catch 22 situation we are in ,and hopefully the first home leaugue game sees some reward on the attendance front to start building some forward momentum .

gegs70
01-08-2015, 11:42 PM
It kind of felt like another friendly. I wanted to go.but the kids had other thongs to do....I will also miss tye first home game of the season.

NAE NOOKIE
02-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Lets no all start wettin' oorsel FFS.

I missed today coz of a wedding and will miss the Morton game coz I have to be away. At this time of year these things happen. It was Montrose in a game we were near certs to win. Once August is over and the league kicks in things will pick up.

Onion
02-08-2015, 06:12 AM

I doubt it. They'll know that 7 years of abject failure, relegation and a nearly season will take a lot more than a war of words with the Huns to bring back fans. Unless we get a good start to the season, expect a lot of 6-7000 crowds at Er this season. We're down to the core.

Keith_M
02-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Is the attendance today not about standard for us in recent years in the early rounds of this competition when we draw lower league teams?

:agree:

I definitely remember sub 7000 for at least a couple of midweek games in recent years.

Not just lower league teams. We had roughly the same home support when we played Aberdeen in the cup about 3 years ago.

The plain fact is that early rounds of cup competitions are just poorly attended in general.

Brooster
02-08-2015, 07:00 AM
5953 isnt really too bad for a 1st round league cup tie against Montrose is it? I would like to see the league crowds average out at over 10k though.

Keith_M
02-08-2015, 07:22 AM
I decided to check the attendances for the first round Hibs played at home in the League Cup for the last 10 seasons.

Each of the below are the first game played at home in that competition. These are mostly 1st round games (in relation to Hibs) but, where these are are the 2nd round, I've added a (2) after it.

Year
League Cup

2006-07
v Peterhead 5,500

2007-08
v Motherwell (2) 7,000

2008-09
v Morton 6,329

2009-10
v Brechin 7,047

2010-11
- none -

2011-12
v Berwick 4,936

2012-13
- none -

2013-14
v Stranraer 6,431

2014-15
v Dumbarton 5,066

2015-16
v Montrose 5,953

+ Hearts attendance this weekend was almost exactly the same as ours.

lucky
02-08-2015, 07:25 AM
The fact is people can't keep forking out for football. ST, HSL, shares, Sky & BT I'm begging to question the amount I spend on football. Hibs are a hobby but ffs it's becoming like a second wife without all the joys!!!

Jack
02-08-2015, 08:57 AM
The fact is people can't keep forking out for football. ST, HSL, shares, Sky & BT I'm begging to question the amount I spend on football. Hibs are a hobby but ffs it's becoming like a second wife without all the joys!!!

You're absolutely right although I think there are a few out there who could do a bit more :-)

But that's really just scratching around for the last of the change in your pocket.

I think a bigger return will come from getting folk back, encouraging regular walk ups to commit to a season ticket, stuff like that. We need 'others' who have still got folding stuff in their pockets to part with that.

MB62
02-08-2015, 12:41 PM
3pm on a Saturday and a game we're almost certain to win. Not seeing many reasons not to go.

Six of us who would normally have been there were away on a family holiday at the weekend. I would suggest there were maybe quite a few others in a similar position.

Franck Stanton
02-08-2015, 12:53 PM
As the graph above shows, it was an average gate for the 1st round of the cup, nothing to get all hot and bothered about imo.

KeithTheHibby
02-08-2015, 12:58 PM

2872 at Hamilton today
3307 at ICT
5207 at Killie today

That is an abysmal crowd for the Killie game. I would imagine Dundee would have brought at least 1000 fans so to only get 4k home fans for the first game of the season is pathetic.

Alfred E Newman
02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Six of us who would normally have been there were away on a family holiday at the weekend. I would suggest there were maybe quite a few others in a similar position.

One of the reasons that a switch to a through the summer season would be a disaster for the game up here.

emerald green
02-08-2015, 06:35 PM
That is an abysmal crowd for the Killie game. I would imagine Dundee would have brought at least 1000 fans so to only get 4k home fans for the first game of the season is pathetic.

Kilmarnock's average attendance for season 2014/15 was 4,076. That was 7th highest out of the 12 Premiership teams.

Five teams in the Premiership had average attendances below 4,000. Only two teams in the Premiership reached average attendances of five figures - Celtic and Aberdeen.

Hibs average attendance was 10,170 (Championship).

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Kilmarnock's average attendance for season 2014/15 was 4,076. That was 7th highest out of the 12 Premiership teams.

Five teams in the Premiership had average attendances below 4,000. Only two teams in the Premiership reached average attendances of five figures - Celtic and Aberdeen.

Hibs average attendance was 10,170 (Championship).

10,170 is pretty damn good, all things considered. Get us back in the SPL with a decent side and we can get 15K.

emerald green
02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
10,170 is pretty damn good, all things considered. Get us back in the SPL with a decent side and we can get 15K.

It's very good considering how many Hibs matches last season were against teams with hardly any away support worth talking about - e.g. Alloa, Dumbarton etc.

The potential is there at HFC, there is no doubt about that. Just need a winning side (and promotion) of course.

bookert
02-08-2015, 07:34 PM
It's very good considering how many Hibs matches last season were against teams with hardly any away support worth talking about - e.g. Alloa, Dumbarton etc.

The potential is there at HFC, there is no doubt about that. Just need a winning side (and promotion) of course. we understandably continue to compare ourselves to the hearts. We need to hold our hand up and admit they have mustered support much better than us over the past year. I thought given the week we have had, the response of the club to the rangers bid, we would have shown up in Greater numbers yesterday to show commitment, I was really disappointed

marinello59
02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
we understandably continue to compare ourselves to the hearts. We need to hold our hand up and admit they have mustered support much better than us over the past year

No way. **** the Hearts.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Six of us who would normally have been there were away on a family holiday at the weekend. I would suggest there were maybe quite a few others in a similar position.Fair enough, I'll let you off :greengrin

bookert
02-08-2015, 08:35 PM
No way. **** the Hearts. Aye easy to say, they have how many season tickets, and how many last year when on our league. I just think leanne and the new regime.is the best thing thats happened to hibs in years, but they need to be supported.

bigwheel
02-08-2015, 08:41 PM
We have ended up in this league for quite different reasons than Hearts did....but like it or lump it, they are a club which is getting great numbers through their doors...I don't know what will be out catalyst, but we need something to get fans coming through our gates again...or else we will end up wth 8/9000 crowds all season. Not what Alan Stubbs and the team need to help them get back up...

Sir David Gray
02-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Aye easy to say, they have how many season tickets, and how many last year when on our league. I just think leanne and the new regime.is the best thing thats happened to hibs in years, but they need to be supported.

Their situation last season was quite unique though in the sense that they had a bit of a siege mentality and they had just seen their club come very close to going out of business. They were always going to rally round and turn up in large numbers.

.Sean.
02-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Maybe a lot of folk that would normally attend are on holidays etc? I know 8 or 9 folk, myself included, that couldn't attend due to weekends away and holidays. Wouldn't look too much into it.

Newhaven
02-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Almost 6,000 for a game NOT on a season ticket against a teapot club like Montrose. What did folk expect? Clubs like Hamilton, cup winners ICT and Killie would kill for a crowd like that on a regular basis.

Yes it's summer but as a support we've had many kicks in the teeth that have scunnered folk. A managerial merry go round, relegation and a member of the board who divides opinion have all contributed

It's time for the club NOT the fans to stand up and be counted. Roll up their sleeves and get out of this frankly dire second tier of Scottish football.

sesoim
02-08-2015, 10:27 PM
11,225 against Rangers and 3500 were Ogres...

So we're down 2500 odd fans from last week...I hear what your saying ref other teams but Hibs are doing everything to entice the fans back and to me it doesn't seem to be working....

I don't personally think they are. They could have charged a tenner, and if they wanted to generate more money, why not organize a decent friendly? Some of the signing (and re-signings) have been underwhelming, and obviously the poor result last week didn't help, so it's no wonder the crowd wasn't great. But then again, it was better than most of the SP sides could muster for most games, and at least their fans are getting to watch SP football. Also, the result and performance wasn't up to much considering where Montrose were last season - maybe that's what a lot of stay away fans expected.

Frankly, I think crowds will be lower this season because, cup games aside, we are basically filling in time till the play-offs. Being in this league is awful, fans are still angry, we lost the play-offs and flopped in the SC against Falkirk. I don't see that changing until we are back in the SP.

Personally, I think the club are lucky so many fans are still turning up and paying so much money into the club.

Gerard
02-08-2015, 10:35 PM
In time Leeann and her management team will do the things that will attract more people to watch our team. I can see an increase in STs every year and more walk up fans watching games. The reasons for this being that we are able to keep quality players like Scott Allan and sign players like John McGinn.This season it's important that we are promoted and that will be easier with the fans getting behind our team. I can see players coming through the Training Centre and the present squad getting better because of the training staff that work there. When you have excellent facilities and people who work in these facilities it tends to produce excellent players. There are many ways in which our fans can help make this happen, if possible via STs, HSL, Buying shares and Leith Links being 4 good ways to make this happen. Let's be positive as we have a lot of things to be positive about Hibs.

B.H.F.C
02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
The real indication of how crowds are looking will be against Morton in a fortnight.

League games struggled to get much above the 8k mark on most occasions last year. We've sold over 7k season tickets so it'll be interesting to see if we get much in the way of walk up supporters. The only way we'll increase that is by being in a proper title race, unlike last year.

CentreLine
02-08-2015, 10:41 PM
I don't personally think they are. They could have charged a tenner, and if they wanted to generate more money, why not organize a decent friendly? Some of the signing (and re-signings) have been underwhelming, and obviously the poor result last week didn't help, so it's no wonder the crowd wasn't great. But then again, it was better than most of the SP sides could muster for most games, and at least their fans are getting to watch SP football. Also, the result and performance wasn't up to much considering where Montrose were last season - maybe that's what a lot of stay away fans expected.

Frankly, I think crowds will be lower this season because, cup games aside, we are basically filling in time till the play-offs. Being in this league is awful, fans are still angry, we lost the play-offs and flopped in the SC against Falkirk. I don't see that changing until we are back in the SP.

Personally, I think the club are lucky so many fans are still turning up and paying so much money into the club.

Maybe it's time we realised that we are in danger of letting hahahahearts seem like the big club they keep trying to tell us they are in Edinburgh. Maybe it's time for Our fans to stop finding excuses to not support the team.
Maybe it's time we realise it is our club and the only way it can be successful is if we continue to turn up.
Or of course we can grumble from behind a keyboard giving any number of excuses and become part of a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's our club, let's stop moaning and cheer it back to the top.

HappyAsHellas
02-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Everyone I talk to about Hibs these days is upbeat and positive about what is happening to our club. The signings this season have been excellent although we have been unlucky on the injury front. Once the league campaign is under way and we are seriously challenging for the title then I think more lapsed fans will return. There is a feel good factor about the place that's been missing for too many years. On the pitch is ultimately where it counts and we have yet to see several new signings make their first appearances. The future is looking good and I feel sure that our crowds will rise accordingly. Most clubs in Scotland can only wish they had the infrastructure, facilities and organisation that we now have, not to mention our financial position as well. As someone else has said, once we are back in the premier we can expect to attract 15,000 every week. It's up to us to keep turning up to make this happen. Support the team - all of them, and we can win this.

bill the hibby
02-08-2015, 11:39 PM
This is how attendances work...when the team are doing well and winning, playing a decent standard of football, exciting to watch and are at the right end of the table, attendance is usually high for example hearts and particularly aberdeen in the past couple seasons. Attendances are usually low when a team is not where it should be i.e us just now. If we are battling it out with rangers this season all the way to the end I expect there to be a rise in attendance leading up to the end of the season. So let's not use the attendance from the weekend as a marker.

silverhibee
02-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Winning this league will improve crowds for next season, FFS we could sign Ronaldo right now and i doubt crowds would go up much :greengrin folk are seeing the club in this league for 2 seasons in a row, it will take an awful lot to get back lapsed supporters.

FranckSuzy
03-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Winning this league will improve crowds for next season, FFS we could sign Ronaldo right now and i doubt crowds would go up much :greengrin folk are seeing the club in this league for 2 seasons in a row, it will take an awful lot to get back lapsed supporters.

Which one? :tee hee: Spot on though, SH :agree:

It is holiday season, it is wedding season and it is also an early start to the football season - ergo there are many reasons why attendance was low on Saturday.

Oh and please don't compare us to Hertz. The only time you get an accurate crowd number for a home game at the PBS is when it's a cup game. There's also the small matter of ridiculously low ST prices and others have said, a siege mentality. We're not doing too bad, IMHO. GGTTH.

frazeHFC
03-08-2015, 07:10 AM
I couldn't make it cos I had other stuff on and a few of my mates did too. This is one reason why I don't want summer football.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2015, 07:14 AM
we understandably continue to compare ourselves to the hearts. We need to hold our hand up and admit they have mustered support much better than us over the past year. I thought given the week we have had, the response of the club to the rangers bid, we would have shown up in Greater numbers yesterday to show commitment, I was really disappointed

They were in real danger of going out of existance whilst we had just been relegated, the situations are/were far from comparable.

flash
03-08-2015, 07:29 AM

What a cheerless, draining post. The signings have been really good considering we are still in the Championship. What did you expect? I go to fitba to be entertained regardless of which division we are in and i think we will be this season.

Incidentally why are fans still angry? I don't know anybody who is angry, quite the reverse in fact. Everyone i know is encouraged that we finally appear to be getting things right off the pitch.

CentreLine
03-08-2015, 09:20 AM
They were in real danger of going out of existance whilst we had just been relegated, the situations are/were far from comparable.

Yes but do we want our supporters doing "walking away" and making hahahahearts look like a bigger club?

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 09:25 AM
I thought we'd already established that yesterday's crowd was about average for an early round league cup tie.

So why are some people still using it to beat the club over the head with?

Ozyhibby
03-08-2015, 09:49 AM
What a cheerless, draining post. The signings have been really good considering we are still in the Championship. What did you expect? I go to fitba to be entertained regardless of which division we are in and i think we will be this season.

Incidentally why are fans still angry? I don't know anybody who is angry, quite the reverse in fact. Everyone i know is encouraged that we finally appear to be getting things right off the pitch.

I'm still angry. I still can't believe how we ended up here and that not a single member of the board felt the need to resign. It's an absolute disgrace. I don't know how they sleep at night but I realise that these people look after number 1 first and foremost. So yes, I'm still angry and I doubt it will subside till we are out of this division. Hopefully that will be this season.

stantonhibby
03-08-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm still angry. I still can't believe how we ended up here and that not a single member of the board felt the need to resign. It's an absolute disgrace. I don't know how they sleep at night but I realise that these people look after number 1 first and foremost. So yes, I'm still angry and I doubt it will subside till we are out of this division. Hopefully that will be this season.

Are you 12 ?

Peevemor
03-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Are you 12 ?

I'll scweam and scweam and make myself thick...

bigwheel
03-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Ah....now I get it....you're running a parody account....very funny! "angry teenager routine" Hats off...

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2015, 10:52 AM

2872 at Hamilton today
3307 at ICT
5207 at Killie today

I watched a You Tube documentary on the rivalry between Schalke 04 and Dortmund. They were speaking to a Dortmund fan and asked him why their crowds are so huge, his reply was ( almost word for word ) "Dortmund is such a dump that the only reason folk know where it is, or care, is because of the football team so everybody supports it .. the same goes for Gelsenkirchen"

There is truth in that ..... My European geography aint bad, but until I started taking an interest in the Bundesliga I had never even heard of Gelsenkirchen, it was only when I googled Shalke 04 that I became aware of the city.

Though that accusation cant be levelled at Edinburgh it pretty well can be to the likes of Kilmarnock and Hamilton, its a pity that the communities in Scotland's smaller towns don't see their clubs as part of the towns identity and make more effort to support them.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Are you 12 ?

Hehe. Everyone is different. I still get p***** off every time I think about the damage that has been done. You are obviously cool with it. Each to their own.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I watched a You Tube documentary on the rivalry between Schalke 04 and Dortmund. They were speaking to a Dortmund fan and asked him why their crowds are so huge, his reply was ( almost word for word ) "Dortmund is such a dump that the only reason folk know where it is, or care, is because of the football team so everybody supports it .. the same goes for Gelsenkirchen"

There is truth in that ..... My European geography aint bad, but until I started taking an interest in the Bundesliga I had never even heard of Gelsenkirchen, it was only when I googled Shalke 04 that I became aware of the city.

Though that accusation cant be levelled at Edinburgh it pretty well can be to the likes of Kilmarnock and Hamilton, its a pity that the communities in Scotland's smaller towns don't see their clubs as part of the towns identity and make more effort to support them.

They do. Kilmarnock and Hamilton get bigger crowds than similar sized towns in England.

green&left
03-08-2015, 10:58 AM

No EPL on the tele, summer fixture. Kinda blows the argument that summe fitba will increase crowds and solve all our issues.

Your talking 2000 home fans for Hamilton and 2500 for ICT when you take into account away fans. Quite a worry for first game of the season and 3pm non-televised kick-offs.

Even speaking to a Celtic supporting workmate Parkhead was pretty dead on Saturday for their league winning "flag day", and for their up and coming away match to Partick, a few miles along the road, tickets for the celtic end are on general sale, which has never happened before.

Seems folk are bored with the whole setup...

Gordy M
03-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Is scotland not ranked in the top 5/6 best attended leagues in europe per head of population? Im sure i read that not so long ago?

edit - just looked and it the articles i found we were 2nd and 3rd. Not too bad.

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2015, 11:06 AM
They do. Kilmarnock and Hamilton get bigger crowds than similar sized towns in England.

Probably ..... But to be fair there's not much chance of Dover Athletic making it into the Europa league first round. Both Killie and Hamilton have decent facilities, it would be nice to see more folk turn out to fill them a bit.

Don't get me wrong ..... for one of Britain's more affluent cities the support Hibs get is pretty average and I wish more folk would get along to support us.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Is scotland not ranked in the top 5/6 best attended leagues in europe per head of population? Im sure i read that not so long ago?

edit - just looked and it the articles i found we were 2nd and 3rd. Not too bad.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/03/80fffdaa26fe952485b7bb4da9207a73.jpg

brog
03-08-2015, 11:11 AM

We are/were but unfortunately that's largely down to the bigot brothers. However some of our smaller teams are actually remarkably well supported considering the small population they have to draw on.

Caversham Green
03-08-2015, 11:12 AM

On the other hand, Reading is about the same size as Dundee but the football club gets bigger crowds than both the Dundee clubs combined.

scoopyboy
03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I'll scweam and scweam and make myself thick...

Violet Elizabeth, I presume

Bad Martini
03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
One game in to the "season"...
Not the Scottish Cup
Not the league
Still well in the summer holidays when the bulk of people will have planned and gone on holidays
...still we get a touch less than 6k and not much less than the yams, with attendances low across the country...

.....all this , and folk immediately start to drown in a sea of their own urine and self defeatist prophecies of doom? :rolleyes:

When the league kicks off, our crowds will increase steadily into September, just like everyone else in Scotland.

Meantime, there is tumbleweed blowing, somewhere....... :greengrin

Peevemor
03-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Violet Elizabeth, I presume

:wink:

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 11:26 AM
On the other hand, Reading is about the same size as Dundee but the football club gets bigger crowds than both the Dundee clubs combined.

Comparisons could get a bit embarrassing in some cases.

Liverpool is the same size as Edinburgh (roughly 450k) and both have two teams.

Liverpool and Everton's combined average home gates last season was 83,000

Hibs and Hearts' combined average home gates last season was 26,000

--------------------------------

Much better to compare us to Bristol (roughly 430k). Rover and City's combined average home gates last season was 19,000

Gordy M
03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
We are/were but unfortunately that's largely down to the bigot brothers. However some of our smaller teams are actually remarkably well supported considering the small population they have to draw on.
Yeh i suppose the point i was trying to make is that even tho scottish football is heavily critisized in some quarters, it is still well supported. I really enjoy scottish football and hate how tv money has skewed the game. I think sometimes 'we' are our own worst enemies in 'rubbishing' our game up here.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Comparisons could get a bit embarrassing in some cases.

Liverpool is the same size as Edinburgh (roughly 450k) and both have two teams.

Liverpool and Everton's combined average home gates last season was 83,000

Hibs and Hearts' combined average home gates last season was 26,000

--------------------------------

Much better to compare us to Bristol (roughly 430k). Rover and City's combined average home gates last season was 19,000

Merseyside has a population of about 1.4m and the North West has a population of about 16m people.
I would say Liverpool is more comparable to Glasgow.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Merseyside has a population of about 1.4m and the North West has a population of about 16m people.

Yep.

Aberdeen and Newcastle have relatively similar populations in the city yet one draws 45K+ a week, the other about 14k. However if you look at the wider area Tyneside has a population of nearly 900 000 whilst Aberdeenshire of 250 000.

Scottish football has to stop constantly comparing itself with the English leagues. Everyone else does it but we could massively help ourselves by focussing on what we are doing and not belittling our game by making comparisons with the steroid fuelled beefcake (figuratively speaking) that is the EPL and English Championship.

Sir David Gray
03-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Yep.

Aberdeen and Newcastle have relatively similar populations in the city yet one draws 45K+ a week, the other about 14k. However if you look at the wider area Tyneside has a population of nearly 900 000 whilst Aberdeenshire of 250 000.

Scottish football has to stop constantly comparing itself with the English leagues. Everyone else does it but we could massively help ourselves by focussing on what we are doing and not belittling our game by making comparisons with the steroid fuelled beefcake (figuratively speaking) that is the EPL and English Championship.

:agree: The biggest statistic that anyone needs to know is that on the final day of last season, 1.7% of Scotland's population attended a Scottish Premiership match and 0.7% of England's population attended an English Premiership match.

We can't compare sheer numbers with a country that has 10 times as many people than we do.

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM

How many football clubs are there in Merseyside?

How many in the North West of England?

If you took Merseyside as their catchment are and ignored the smaller clubs, then you should really take the Lothians and the Borders as being Hibs & Hearts catchment area, as there is only one other (much smaller) club. That'll give you 950,000.

However you slice it, Hibs and Hearts supports don't compare well.

Blaster
03-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Comparing a country with 55 million and 5 million. Not very fair is it.

We simply have too many clubs

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Maybe somebody should start a thread on Kickback titled '6,240' and see if they go into meltdown at the state of their Club.

happiehibbie
03-08-2015, 01:54 PM
I blame the KO time 3pm on a Saturday will never catch on

silverhibee
03-08-2015, 03:11 PM
I couldn't make it cos I had other stuff on and a few of my mates did too. This is one reason why I don't want summer football.

Were the singing section on strike on Saturday. :greengrin

bod
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM

And not a lot of £s entrance fee

Nutmegged
03-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Not true mate, I watched the game on Saturday and there was easily 40k+ there but in a Stadium that holds 60k then 20k of empty seats is going to look significant

Nutmegged
03-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Noticed this yesterday and think it could add to this topic, 126,466 fans attended the first full weekend of fixtures in Scottish Football this weekend with the Premiership and the 1st round of the League Cup, thats a trendous statistic especially when you consider ibrox was only half full and Easter Road was only just over a quarter full

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
How many football clubs are there in Merseyside?

How many in the North West of England?

If you took Merseyside as their catchment are and ignored the smaller clubs, then you should really take the Lothians and the Borders as being Hibs & Hearts catchment area, as there is only one other (much smaller) club. That'll give you 950,000.

However you slice it, Hibs and Hearts supports don't compare well.

You can make comparisons all day long ..... The greater Bristol area has a population of about a million people, but they aint exactly knocking down the doors at City or Rovers and there isn't a lot of competition locally.

Its a big rugby area though and they maybe get fans on their message boards telling each other what a great day out the rugby is .... you know, like we do on here sometimes.

Gatecrasher
03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Maybe somebody should start a thread on Kickback titled '6,240' and see if they go into meltdown at the state of their Club.
Maybe they won't because they have sold about double the season tickets we have.

Eyrie
03-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Maybe they won't because they have sold about double the season tickets we have.

And where were all those missing Yam season ticket holders? They can't all have been on holiday, playing golf, at a wedding or obeying a police curfew.

greenginger
03-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Not true mate, I watched the game on Saturday and there was easily 40k+ there but in a Stadium that holds 60k then 20k of empty seats is going to look significant

Yeah, I saw that on the highlights last night.

I was taking my figure from the last 10 -15 minutes I saw in the Percy before our game.

Parkhead was empty by that time, must have all p*ssed off to the pubs having seen enough.