PDA

View Full Version : Stanton

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Thought he was really good at times today and was unlucky not to score. Looked more like the player he was under TB.

staunchhibby
01-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Thought he played well today.

fishybeaver
01-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Thought he played well today.

Though him and Harris done no bad today

ancient hibee
01-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Both he and Harris were pushed off the ball far too easily.Unless they can inject far more urgency into their game they have no future at Hibs.Pity because they both have football in them.I put it down to the coaching by the old coaches in the youth set up.You often read successful footballers saying you must win your battle before you can start playing.They never seem to be in the battle and don't impose themselves.We can't afford to have players like that in the team.

01-08-2015, 06:48 PM
I like Stanton. He has a lot of developing to do but theres certainly a player in there. I feel he can be a bit light weight at times though.

tamig
01-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I like Stanton. He has a lot of developing to do but theres certainly a player in there. I feel he can be a bit light weight at times though.

I said on a thread last season that Stanton should be spending the whole summer in the gym at East Mains working with the sports science gurus to build himself up. That clearly hasn't happened.

staunchhibby
01-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Sam does go to the gym outwith East Mains.

01-08-2015, 07:24 PM
I said on a thread last season that Stanton should be spending the whole summer in the gym at East Mains working with the sports science gurus to build himself up. That clearly hasn't happened.

I agree. If he can bulk up a bit and become a bit tougher then it would benefit him greatly.

adhibs
01-08-2015, 07:53 PM
had some realy good moments today. seems to be one who could either develop into a quality player or disapear completely

Bishop Hibee
01-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I thought Harris was the better of the two. Neither will be in the first XI if we have a fully fit squad to choose from.

Frank Moon
01-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Sorry but a few nice touches and runs is all we got from him and Harris. They are not influential enough and I don't think they are good enough if we want to push on. That was Montrose today and they didn't stick out at all.

Eyrie
01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Stanton started poorly before improving, but given the standard of opposition today he had a platform to do better.

I though Harris played well, although he passed up a good chance to shoot in the second half. Also used his pace effectively a few times in defence.

I'd put both out on loan for this season though.

GreenLake
01-08-2015, 09:47 PM
He looked rusty at first and miss hit the ball a few times but got better and did well over the whole game.

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Sorry but a few nice touches and runs is all we got from him and Harris. They are not influential enough and I don't think they are good enough if we want to push on. That was Montrose today and they didn't stick out at all.Both got assists but don't let the facts bother you.

Pretty Boy
01-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Thought Stanton was ok today, especially in the 2nd half. Had one good run and shot and a lovely bit of footwork and a good shot after it. He also hits a decent corner, better than Allan imo.

He still doesn't seem strong enough though. It was commented on by the coaches at ER last season but he still looks like a boy. End of the day he's going to be a squad player this season, 5th or 6th choice in the middle of the park when everyone is fit and he's good enough for that. If the last couple of weeks has been a chance for him to force himself into the team then it's not happened.

Frank Moon
01-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Both got assists but don't let the facts bother you.
When we have all the players fit they will not be in the team. That I believe is a fact for Stubbs.

Big L
02-08-2015, 08:26 AM
He is a squad player but could be much better if he bulked up, same for Harris. The weight will come on and they will be worth the wait!!

02-08-2015, 08:59 AM
I cant believe some people are saying Harris had a good game. He had a few nice touches and a couple of runs but thats it. It was Montrose we were playing. Against these teams players like Harris should be using it as there chance to shine but he really did not impress. I fear against bigger teams Harris will get lost. I like Stanton but he can also sometimes fall out the game to easily.

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I cant believe some people are saying Harris had a good game. He had a few nice touches and a couple of runs but thats it. It was Montrose we were playing. Against these teams players like Harris should be using it as there chance to shine but he really did not impress. I fear against bigger teams Harris will get lost. I like Stanton but he can also sometimes fall out the game to easily.

Have to agree mate, I thought Harris was really poor, almost anonymous at times especially in first half...he will be loaned out by end of August as has no chance of a game once Carmichael and Boyle are fit

bookert
02-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Thought stanton played well yesterday and hope he gets more starts this season. I fear for harris I want him to be the player that burst on the scene against Falkirk in the cup semi, but he looks reluctant to take players on and that was against (with respect) montrose.

ancient hibee
02-08-2015, 11:39 AM
I know old codgers get stick for the "old days"but they should sit Harris down in front of footage of Arthur Duncan and show how a player can prosper by giving 100% all the time and run and run and run some more until he destroyed the full back-he wasn't full of football but he was full of guts in an era full of defenders for whom the ball was a minor part of their game.

BSEJVT
02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I sometimes think we judge our own home grown players far more harshly than outsiders brought in.

We expect Stanton and Harris to dominate games, but it seems more wishful thinking than any past history that fuels those expectations.

After where they have been in terms of playing / confidence, we should be glad that that they are again contributing something.

Maybe they will break through or return to form, maybe not.

But saddling them with unrealistic expectations at this stage of the career / re-development and then castigating them when they fail to achieve those unrealistic expectations is helping no-one.

southern hibby
02-08-2015, 11:52 AM
One thing I've been impressed this season with Stanton ( yes I know it's just started ) is he has his head up and looking at where he is running with the ball rather than looking at the ball.
On the other hand pat is not a child anymore and needs to start pushing players around and not get pushed around

GGTTH

Tyler Durden
02-08-2015, 12:30 PM
I can see why people mention they both need to build themselves up but IMO it's more important to have pace or acceleration. When both broke into the team they would glide past players. Now they very rarely beat their man. It seems like a confidence thing as the ability is there but we've been saying that for 18 months now

Harris in particular seems to think he is doing well if he keeps the ball rather than realising he is there to produce goals and assists. Yes he got one assist yesterday but it was really disappointing stuff overall

Lago
02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
I know old codgers get stick for the "old days"but they should sit Harris down in front of footage of Arthur Duncan and show how a player can prosper by giving 100% all the time and run and run and run some more until he destroyed the full back-he wasn't full of football but he was full of guts in an era full of defenders for whom the ball was a minor part of their game.
Agree Arthur Duncan played with out fear and still holds the record for league apperances for Hibs.

Hiber-nation
02-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Spot on. Even when Arthur didn't have the beating of the full back (Stuart Kennedy of Aberdeen springs to mind) he'd keep at it and just keep winning corners.

500miles
03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Stanton needs to work on his strength and learn to play in behind the striker. As things stand, he's a fantastic option from the bench - much like Sproule was. Stanton can find space in unprepared defences and ping a ball like no one else in the team.

We would be foolish to let that go.

Iggy Pope
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Stanton needs to work on his strength and learn to play in behind the striker. As things stand, he's a fantastic option from the bench - much like Sproule was. Stanton can find space in unprepared defences and ping a ball like no one else in the team.

We would be foolish to let that go.

Agreed. And the talk on the Random Crap thread is a worry for me as I am sure that if Aiden Connolly was anything other than decent, MacNamara wouldn't want to lose him from his squad and the player wouldn't fancy a step down. Unless Connolly needs 'toughened up' as well? Hope to goodness it's not coming to that.

Based on Saturday, I can't see how wee Boozy has benefitted at all from his spell at Dundee either. Although I wish I could.