PDA

View Full Version : Changes to offside rule this season

Twiglet
31-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Apparently the offside rule this season has been changed. Wasn't even aware of it until I saw it on Luke Shanley's twitter tonight.
It's meant to make an offside infringement clearer, but I'm not so sure.

Are there changes to UEFA rules too or is it just the SFA in their wisdom that has changed the rules?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/scottish-football-offside-rule-changes-for-new-season-1-3846232

bill the hibby
31-07-2015, 11:21 PM
It's my understanding that officials in Scotland give whatever decision they like. There will be referee's this season who enforce this new rule and some who won't. In fact this could make things even less clearer.

Ronniekirk
31-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Watched the Stevie may goal which is part of video footage to illustrate new change and you can argue that Witherspoon s actions could of affected the goalkeeper ,however the keeper was already diving to try and make the save and was unable to so referee overruled linesman and gave it ,so interesting one Hadn't seen this highlighted anywhere until now

Jim44
01-08-2015, 02:19 AM
Watched the Stevie may goal which is part of video footage to illustrate new change and you can argue that Witherspoon s actions could of affected the goalkeeper ,however the keeper was already diving to try and make the save and was unable to so referee overruled linesman and gave it ,so interesting one Hadn't seen this highlighted anywhere until now

As far as I can see, the referee simply made a huge blunder. Forget about the new rule, Wotherspoon was offside when May shot. Undisputably offside and doesn't need a new rule to stop the goal being awarded.

brog
01-08-2015, 06:48 AM
As far as I can see, the referee simply made a huge blunder. Forget about the new rule, Wotherspoon was offside when May shot. Undisputably offside and doesn't need a new rule to stop the goal being awarded.

Not true I'm afraid. The offside rule really hasn't changed for many years but the guidance re interpretation has. The key words were always (I paraphrase) "seeking to gain an advantage". From the 70s on that phrase was almost ignored & goals were chalked off for no good reason. It got to the stage where every goal created by say the likes of Stanley Mathews would be ruled out as he was in an offside position after he cut the ball back. From about 10 to 15 years ago the original wording was re-emphasised so that attacking teams usually got the benefit of the doubt. Now they've moved a bit back in the other direction. Make no mistake though this change in guidance is not for the benefit of football, it's to make it easier for our refs. Of course if they allowed them to explain their decisions!!

Keith_M
01-08-2015, 07:49 AM
.....Of course if they allowed them to explain their decisions!!

"Well obviously the Sellik player was marginally offside but Ah let the goal stand, as Ah couldnae be bothered wi the hassle of an official complaint fae Sellik and then havin ma windaes panned in...again.

Oh and thur fans woulda put a private detective oan tae me and funoot Ah was in the Orange Ludge, which widnae look good either."

Billy Whizz
01-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Haven't watched it again yet, but Rangers 1st goal last week from the free kick, 2 Rangers players were the other side of the wall when he took it, were they offside or interfering with play?

bigwheel
01-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Haven't watched it again yet, but Rangers 1st goal last week from the free kick, 2 Rangers players were the other side of the wall when he took it, were they offside or interfering with play?

Thats true...they were clearly deliberately blocking Oxley's view of the ball

Tom Hart RIP
01-08-2015, 08:00 AM
I remember years ago when Dundee United (Kevin Gallagher??) scored a 30 yarder in the cup final against Celtic which was ruled out for a team mate standing in an offside position nowhere near the goals.
One of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Billy Whizz
01-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Thats true...they were clearly deliberately blocking Oxley's view of the ball

Should it have counted

bigwheel
01-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Should it have counted

well, reading the new rules - I would say No. But i'm not sure of any nuances....

southsider
01-08-2015, 08:05 AM
As Bill Shankley once said "if they wurny seeking to gain an advantage they shoundny be oun the pitch".

hibbysam
01-08-2015, 08:48 AM

I watched it at the time, and I'm 90% sure they ran back onside before the free kick was taken.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2015, 08:52 AM
As Bill Shankley once said "if they wurny seeking to gain an advantage they shoundny be oun the pitch".

Read my signature for the exact words ;-)

bigwheel
01-08-2015, 08:59 AM
I watched it at the time, and I'm 90% sure they ran back onside before the free kick was taken.

...pretty sure they didn't

ardecos
01-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Read my signature for the exact words ;-)

But is that how Bill Shankley pronounced it? :)