Best forgotten.

marjoriebanks
30-07-2015, 12:54 PM
I had!

Onceinawhile
30-07-2015, 12:55 PM
David Van Zanten.

Best forgotten.

As forgettable as he was, he kept Andy driver in his pocket every time he played him. Unlike some..

Brightside
30-07-2015, 12:56 PM
David Van Zanten.

Best forgotten.

Im a big fan of Dollar.

Iggy Pope
30-07-2015, 12:56 PM
I had!

Robert Torrance was another disappointment.

Runs a cafe in the Weedge now. Met him a few times and he admitted he came to us at completely the wrong time.

Smartie
30-07-2015, 12:59 PM
David Van Zanten.

Best forgotten.

I thought that was Steps? :singing:

bill the hibby
30-07-2015, 01:01 PM
David Van Zanten.

Best forgotten.

The only notable thing van zanten done when involved with hibs was score an absolute screamer against us for St.midden.

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Robert Torrance was another disappointment.

Runs a cafe in the Weedge now. Met him a few times and he admitted he came to us at completely the wrong time.

I remember him, had a pretty good pedigree at the Saints, pity it didn't work out for him but we were a shambles at the beginning of the 80s

oneone73
30-07-2015, 01:07 PM
I thought Ian Cameron was decent.

Keith_M
30-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Has he definitely signed?

JimBHibees
30-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Bobby Thomson or was that Morton?

hibeenicol
30-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Barry lavety

Smartie
30-07-2015, 01:21 PM
I didn't mind Van Zanten.

It was always going to be difficult for him following on from Whittaker and he wasn't a patch on Whittaker going forward.

He was a pretty solid defender though and had a few notably excellent defensive performances against Andy Driver and even one iirc against McGeady.

The guy along from me used to really hate him though. He accidentally called him Denise Van Outen early on in his time at ER and the nickname stuck. With him anyway. Any time the ball was going towards that part of the pitch you'd hear the shrieks of "you're f****** s***** Denise! GTF Van Outen" etc etc. Not very constructive but hilarious.

Roxyhibee
30-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Iain Munro, 1973..? - Excellent player..

scoopyboy
30-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Jim Blair ~1969 - absolutely woeful

SteveHFC
30-07-2015, 01:47 PM
David Van Zanten.

Best forgotten.

Hero

johncrobertson@
30-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Jim Blair - Big fee / big expectations / poor player for Hibs!

3pm
30-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Did he not come from Partick?

James70
30-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Jim Blair was an expensive flop, a huge disappointment.

davidw
30-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Brian Hamilton League Cup Winner
Bary Lavety Half Time Pie Winner:hibees

Hamilton was indeed a League Cup winner. He was also utterly, utterly mince. I obsessively hated him. He would swan about as if God's gift, look up, shake his hair, then plant an ambitious 40 yard cross-field pass straight into the stand. Every time. Appalling player.

Lavety was very, very talented. Bit of a waste - think he had injury problems too..?

sleeping giant
30-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Neale Cooper? Or am I going daft ?

silverhibee
30-07-2015, 02:43 PM

It was always going to be difficult for him following on from Whittaker and he wasn't a patch on Whittaker going forward.

He was a pretty solid defender though and had a few notably excellent defensive performances against Andy Driver and even one iirc against McGeady.

The guy along from me used to really hate him though. He accidentally called him Denise Van Outen early on in his time at ER and the nickname stuck. With him anyway. Any time the ball was going towards that part of the pitch you'd hear the shrieks of "you're f****** s***** Denise! GTF Van Outen" etc etc. Not very constructive but hilarious.

Remember a game at Darkheid where Scott McDonald almost ended his (DVZ) career with a horrific challenge on him at the main stand side, i think eveyone in the stadium new what would be the outcome from the ref, even SM, SM would get a red, ref gave a yellow. :rolleyes:

He gave his all in games for us.

erin go bragh
30-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Hamilton was indeed a League Cup winner. He was also utterly, utterly mince. I obsessively hated him. He would swan about as if God's gift, look up, shake his hair, then plant an ambitious 40 yard cross-field pass straight into the stand. Every time. Appalling player.

Lavety was very, very talented. Bit of a waste - think he had injury problems too..?
Miller rated Hamilton. Paid 325k for him . Think we got a fee of the poppy cheats when he went there .
I liked basher but his fitness let him down . Will never forget his goal against them at ER in the 2/1 Harper scored the winner game .

GGTTH

oneone73
30-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Did he not come from Partick?

My bad. He started at St Mirren.

MSK
30-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Mark Fulton ?

SunshineOnLeith
30-07-2015, 02:57 PM
As forgettable as he was, he kept Andy driver in his pocket every time he played him. Unlike some..

Was always utterly bizarre in a very pleasing way that he had Driver completely figured out.

Stokesy's on fire
30-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Barry lavety

top lad! Came to a derby a few years ago and had a few pints in Murrayfield hotel with the Hibees supporters! Great day out!

Siralbertkidd
30-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Scored a hat trick against the huns though scoops, made it all worthwhile :wink:

Ray_
30-07-2015, 03:50 PM

Beat me to it, 45K, sold him back the following season for 18.5K, it was 1970, same year as we sold Peter Marinello [at the start of the year] & Peter Cormack in the April, "feed the Blair" was supposed to be a replacement for PC. Mind you, Willie Mac didn't get too many wrong. His most telling games for Hibs were most likely his two goals against Malmo [McBride hat-trick] and the two he scored at fog bound ER, when we beat the Huns 3-2, i'm sure Willie Johnson got sent off near the end.

superfurryhibby
30-07-2015, 04:17 PM

Hamilton was a decent foil to McGinlay during Pat's most productive spell at Hibs. Hamilton wasnae that bad, especially when you consider some of the dross that followed him at ER. Tidy enough on the ball and worked hard. One of an elite band of cup winners at Hibs and we got 250k from them.

Liked Basher, he would'nt be able to play in the modern game though. In truth he was a semi-fit but skilful fat bassa.

Someone mentioned Bobby Torrance. Great goal scorer elsewhere, abject failure at ER. Played under Betie Auld, so I suppose he was never really going to see much of the bad up front, no matter how clinical he was as a finisher.

allezsauzee
30-07-2015, 04:27 PM
ok by law of averages, we are due a good signing from St Mirren then! I think Ian Cameron was the worst out the ones I've seen though.

Franck Stanton
30-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Cannae believe some on here thought/think Brian Hamilton was a football player, total waste of a jersey imo when he left he stated " I would rather lick stamps in my sisters post office than play for Hibs again " Oh Really . When the yams found out just how bad he was and punted him he was in the papers asking for Hibs to come and save his football career , Aye so we will. Muppet of a man, never liked him in a Hibs jersey.

Wheat Hound
30-07-2015, 05:28 PM
We got £250,000 from Hertz for Hamilton.....he kick started their nosedive into admin I reckon!

.Sean.
30-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Absolutely loved Barry Lavety when I was a boy. Hero

ancient hibee
30-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Beat me to it, 45K, sold him back the following season for 18.5K, it was 1970, same year as we sold Peter Marinello [at the start of the year] & Peter Cormack in the April, "feed the Blair" was supposed to be a replacement for PC. Mind you, Willie Mac didn't get too many wrong. His most telling games for Hibs were most likely his two goals against Malmo [McBride hat-trick] and the two he scored at fog bound ER, when we beat the Huns 3-2, i'm sure Willie Johnson got sent off near the end.

He was sent off-for kicking Jim Blair!

Franck Stanton
30-07-2015, 05:59 PM
We got £250,000 from Hertz for Hamilton.....he kick started their nosedive into admin I reckon!

Ach well, suppose he did something right then. :wink:

Peevemor
30-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Brian Hamilton was nowhere near as useless as some people make out. He did a lot of unglamourous work, leaving Pat McGinlay to run upfield and grab goals and plaudits. He became a target for the boo-boys because they expected more from him due to the hefty fee paid - but that was hardly his fault. As for the stamp licking thing, some "supporters" think they they can give a player constant dog's abuse for years then they go mental when he makes a remark in return. Grow up FFS!

I for one felt sorry for him when the rocket he let off in the LC final came back off the post.

xyz23jc
30-07-2015, 06:29 PM

Defo! :agree:

Iggy Pope
30-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Hamilton was a decent foil to McGinlay during Pat's most productive spell at Hibs. Hamilton wasnae that bad, especially when you consider some of the dross that followed him at ER. Tidy enough on the ball and worked hard. One of an elite band of cup winners at Hibs and we got 250k from them.

Liked Basher, he would'nt be able to play in the modern game though. In truth he was a semi-fit but skilful fat bassa.

Someone mentioned Bobby Torrance. Great goal scorer elsewhere, abject failure at ER. Played under Betie Auld, so I suppose he was never really going to see much of the bad up front, no matter how clinical he was as a finisher.

It was me. And it was Eddie Turnbull he signed for and played under. Told me himself that it was the wrong move as Hibs were a great team in sharp decline. He wasn't wrong. Pretty much finished him.

Deansy
30-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Brian Hamilton just looked like a football-player until the game actually kicked-off. Opposing-players didn't even have to give him an early-doors bruising-tackle to put him off - a nasty look was sufficient !

portycabbage
30-07-2015, 06:33 PM

I once shouted "'mon David Van Basten!" at him in the hope he'd live up to his new name. It didn't work.

Lago
30-07-2015, 06:41 PM
:top marks
Brian Hamilton was nowhere near as useless as some people make out. He did a lot of unglamourous work, leaving Pat McGinlay to run upfield and grab goals and plaudits. He became a target for the boo-boys because they expected more from him due to the hefty fee paid - but that was hardly his fault. As for the stamp licking thing, some "supporters" think they they can give a player constant dog's abuse for years then they go mental when he makes a remark in return. Grow up FFS!

I for one felt sorry for him when the rocket he let off in the LC final came back off the post.

Ray_
30-07-2015, 06:47 PM
He was sent off-for kicking Jim Blair!

Bloody cheek Willie Johnson had, being it was likely to have been big Jim's best game in a Hibs jersey.

Do you remember Pat Stanton hitting the bar from near enough the half way line in that game?

Jonnyboy
30-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Arrived at ER via Man City but I just couldn't miss the chance to add Gerry Baker :greengrin

Billy Whizz
30-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Thank goodness we missed out on Jim Goodwin, Pat tried to sign him, but I believe he decided to stay with St Mirren

liamh2202
30-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Was it not his pass to Willie miller at pittodrie,, he fired a cross field pass right over millers head, Willie jumped up and caught it before it went in the stand. He got a straight red for handball . or did I dream this lol

Franck Stanton
30-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Was that the nearest he ever came to scoring for us ? Serious question . {Bit ironic it came back off "The Post" given his subsequent career of working in his sisters post office] oh and by the way I have never given any player "dogs abuse" in all my 57years supporting Hibs, I go by the rule "If I can't say something good about a player, then better to say nothing" [that is when they are playing for us]. As for doing "unseen work", did that very well, hid it from most if not all supporters.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Was it not his pass to Willie miller at pittodrie,, he fired a cross field pass right over millers head, Willie jumped up and caught it before it went in the stand. He got a straight red for handball . or did I dream this lol

That did happen, Liam but it was at East End Park :agree:

liamh2202
30-07-2015, 07:36 PM
That did happen, Liam but it was at East End Park :agree:

Thanks Jonny , was just looking though fitbaw stats and couldn't find a red for him at pittodrie. Although he was sent off a few times haha. Strange how certain memories stick as I would have been no older than 7/8 at that game

MWHIBBIES
30-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Thank goodness we missed out on Jim Goodwin, Pat tried to sign him, but I believe he decided to stay with St MirrenMany wanted him at the time, thought he was exactly what we needed.

Andy74
30-07-2015, 08:33 PM
It won't surprise anyone that I quite liked Brian Hamilton. Did his job well.

Smartie
30-07-2015, 08:53 PM

If his job was to ponce about in midfield flicking his hair and endlessly give the ball away then I agree with you.

Pretty Boy
30-07-2015, 08:56 PM
If his job was to ponce about in midfield flicking his hair and endlessly give the ball away then I agree with you.

For all his faults he's got a Scottish Cup and a League Cup winners medal in his cabinet.

My Grandad, an ex professional footballer btw, used to always rate him, said he was the type of player other players and managers appreciate.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2015, 08:57 PM

So did I, Andy. So did Pat McGinlay but we're in a minority I'm afraid :greengrin

Smartie
30-07-2015, 09:05 PM
He was in the first Hibs team that I used to go along and see regularly and I loved them. They were a great team.

I always preferred it when he wasn't in the team - Billy Findlay and David Farrell weren't great but they were the alternatives at the time and I preferred them both to Hamilton by a long way.

We were a decent midfield partner for Pat McGinlay away from having a superb team back then.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2015, 09:07 PM
He was in the first Hibs team that I used to go along and see regularly and I loved them. They were a great team.

I always preferred it when he wasn't in the team - Billy Findlay and David Farrell weren't great but they were the alternatives at the time and I preferred them both to Hamilton by a long way.

We were a decent midfield partner for Pat McGinlay away from having a superb team back then.

Interestingly, Pat always said he scored as many goals as he did because BH was in the team, covering for him when he (Pat) made those famou last minutes dashes into the box :greengrin

Smartie
30-07-2015, 09:10 PM
For all his faults he's got a Scottish Cup and a League Cup winners medal in his cabinet.

My Grandad, an ex professional footballer btw, used to always rate him, said he was the type of player other players and managers appreciate.

Yup, a decent medal haul when you consider the strength of the likes of Rangers at the time. And how many medals Gary MacKay, Henry Smith, Craig Levein et al managed between them too. You have to respect that.

He was the first player I heard people associate with the mysterious "unseen work" years before Brian Kerr came and turned it into an art form. It was also often said that he was a "player's player". I'm not a player though, I'm a fan who knows the square root of f all about playing the game and I just wasn't a fan of him.

In some ways I am quite fond of him though - he was the first real Hibs scapegoat that I used to witness taking dogs abuse. As bad as I thought he was it did get out of hand at times.

BIGK
30-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Was that the nearest he ever came to scoring for us ? Serious question . {Bit ironic it came back off "The Post" given his subsequent career of working in his sisters post office] oh and by the way I have never given any player "dogs abuse" in all my 57years supporting Hibs, I go by the rule "If I can't say something good about a player, then better to say nothing" [that is when they are playing for us]. As for doing "unseen work", did that very well, hid it from most if not all supporters.

Hamilton was pretty invisible against the ' smaller teams'. We used to joke that he used to take his shed onto the center circle to hide in. We were only teenagers at the time and even we could see it.
To give him his due he used to come out of his shed whenever we played Rangers who were a well known team at the time. Guess he was a boyhood Hun supporter looking back.

McSwanky
30-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Hamilton was pretty invisible against the ' smaller teams'. We used to joke that he used to take his shed onto the center circle to hide in. We were only teenagers at the time and even we could see it.
To give him his due he used to come out of his shed whenever we played Rangers who were a well known team at the time. Guess he was a boyhood Hun supporter looking back.
I seem to remember Hamilton having most of his better games away from Easter Road, where there wasn't so much hostility towards him.

tamig
30-07-2015, 10:26 PM
I seem to remember Hamilton having most of his better games away from Easter Road, where there wasn't so much hostility towards him.

Pat McGinlay wasn't the same player when Brian Hamilton missed any games. He was the proverbial "player's player". I liked him and thought some of the stick he received was a disgrace.

jdships
30-07-2015, 10:46 PM

Bob Crampsey said when Hibs signed him
" Hibs have signed the nearest anyone will get to signing a" football team" with taking Ian Munro "
Great player !!

monktonharp
30-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Ian Munro was a fantastic player, one of Alex Miller's best. Also liked Basher, a wee bit unfit at times but had a touch of class and scored a few. the Barry Lavety appreciation society is alive and well.

craigmounthibby
30-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Opinions, eh? I thought he was absolutely woeful for us. Like David Elliott, he had good times in Paisley, but honking at ER.

Forza Fred
31-07-2015, 03:45 AM

The Blair!

Undoubtedly one of our worst ever signings.

Around this time I played for what was one of the best Sunday amateur teams in Edinburgh.....Carlton Hibs.

As the name implies it was born out of the Carlton Branch of the Hibs Supporters Association.

We got our strips from Hibs....a set that was actually used against Airdrie But had run in some places when incorrectly washed.....I was the regular no10 and it turned out Jim Blair had worn it on the day Hibs wore them.

If ever I had a bad game..I was referred to as having played like JimBlair!

Forza Fred
31-07-2015, 03:48 AM

He played in Sydney for Canberra Cosmos and was his usual anonymous self until he got sent off in the first half.

I think he did it deliberately to avoid being anywhere near me in the second half.

Forza Fred
31-07-2015, 03:51 AM
Arrived at ER via Man City but I just couldn't miss the chance to add Gerry Baker :greengrin

Superb centre forward.

Him and Ronnie Simpson between them helped us avoid relegation

Forza Fred
31-07-2015, 03:52 AM

Wouldn't be too hard on the memory then........:greengrin

Ray_
31-07-2015, 05:22 AM
Ian Munro was a fantastic player, one of Alex Miller's best. Also liked Basher, a wee bit unfit at times but had a touch of class and scored a few. the Barry Lavety appreciation society is alive and well.

ET signed him in 1973, he left us in 1976 and I think it was Pat Stanton who brought him back in 1984.

JimBHibees
31-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Was Ally McLeod ex Buddies?

Tom Hart RIP
31-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Was Ally McLeod ex Buddies?

He was but moved to Southampton then to us. Met him in the FF few weeks ago. One of the most skilful players I've ever seen

JimBHibees
31-07-2015, 06:47 AM
He was but moved to Southampton then to us. Met him in the FF few weeks ago. One of the most skilful players I've ever seen

Ok cheers, his twice taken free kick v Dundee was brilliant.

heretoday
31-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Superb centre forward.

Him and Ronnie Simpson between them helped us avoid relegation

That's when I started watching Hibs. They weren't bad going forward. It was the other end that let them down. Ronnie sure was kept busy!

Bishop Hibee
31-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Neale Cooper? Or am I going daft ?

I've tried to repress memories of numpties like him! Think of a commanding skilful centre half who can tackle, is quick, good in the air and can play a pass. Then think of the opposite and you have Cooper. Mark Fulton wasn't much better.

Brian Hamilton was an enigma. He had a few good games and his fellow pros appreciated him but most fans couldn't stand him. His tendency to hide when the going got tough was infuriating.

I'm sure McGinn will buck the trend for taking turkeys from the Buddies.

southsider
01-08-2015, 08:19 AM

And a really guy. Spoke to him when he took my PE class at Boroughmuir about Pat's 5 o'clock goal. Those were they days. We never lost to them. Fans of a certain age will know.