PDA

View Full Version : Players using 1 foot.

hibbycraig
27-07-2015, 01:14 PM
This has been a pet hate of mine forever. After scoring with his left on saturday, Stanton had another 2 clear opportunities to shoot but the ball was on his right side. Went on to lose possesion after trying to get the ball on his left. After the way their keeper flapped at the first we should of been testing him at every opportunity. Surely as a pro footballer you should be able to use both feet effectively?!

andrew70
27-07-2015, 01:21 PM
This has been a pet hate of mine forever. After scoring with his left on saturday, Stanton had another 2 clear opportunities to shoot but the ball was on his right side. Went on to lose possesion after trying to get the ball on his left. After the way their keeper flapped at the first we should of been testing him at every opportunity. Surely as a pro footballer you should be able to use both feet effectively?!

I tend to agree however the 'best player in the world' uses his left foot nearly all of the time. Sam should have shot but maybe that was down to confidence more than not wanting to use his right foot.

hibbycraig
27-07-2015, 01:25 PM
I would of thought after putting us 1 up he would of been full of confidence. Not a dig at sam btw. It annoys me when any player does it.

Keith_M
27-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I tend to agree however the 'best player in the world' uses his left foot nearly all of the time. Sam should have shot but maybe that was down to confidence more than not wanting to use his right foot.

Maybe, but just think how good he could be if he used both feet!

27-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I would of thought after putting us 1 up he would of been full of confidence. Not a dig at sam btw. It annoys me when any player does it.

I'm delighted he got a goal. Theres a player in there somewhere but so far we haven't seen to much of it. Hopefully the goal gives him a bit more confidence in front of goal. He might get more of a chance this season with Handling being out long term.

emerald green
27-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Players who are equally good with both feet are worth their weight in gold. Not many going the rounds in the Championship that I can think off.

No doubt there will now be an avalanche of posts giving names now! :greengrin

Mark79
27-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Players who are equally good with both feet are worth their weight in gold. Not many going the rounds in the Championship that I can think off.

No doubt there will now be an avalanche of posts giving names now! :greengrin

What's Derek riordan up to these days?

emerald green
27-07-2015, 07:29 PM
What's Derek riordan up to these days?

That didn't take long. :aok:

Teo10
27-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Messi uses both :greengrin

heretoday
27-07-2015, 07:40 PM
My dad who played for Elgin and Buckie made me wear a boot on my left foot and a gymshoe on my right and gave me a heavy old leather ball to kick around.

Fathers did that sort of thing back in the day!

Despite being a natural "righty" I became a left winger and eventually left back at a reasonable level of football. They don't bother with that now obviously.

It always amuses me that Leighton Baines of Everton is said to be worth millions. If he could kick with his right foot he'd be priceless!

Weststandwanab
27-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Connect a 9v Battery to the testicles so that every time the stronger foot is used a wee reminder is jolted to you.

Fletcher would have been a far better player by the time he left.

Deansy
27-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Agree - hopefully it's seen as something to work on by AS & Co.

jdships
27-07-2015, 10:24 PM
My dad who played for Elgin and Buckie made me wear a boot on my left foot and a gymshoe on my right and gave me a heavy old leather ball to kick around.

Fathers did that sort of thing back in the day!

Despite being a natural "righty" I became a left winger and eventually left back at a reasonable level of football. They don't bother with that now obviously.

It always amuses me that Leighton Baines of Everton is said to be worth millions. If he could kick with his right foot he'd be priceless!

Well well well
My uncle David , who played for Hibs in 1920's , did exactly the same for me almost word for word
I was a natural " rightie " and ended up in pro football as a No11. Didn't have the same power , obviously in my left foot but could cross a ball and have a "poke" with my left
Wonder whayt you and I might be worth if we were playing today !!:greengrin

Mind you Davie Cooper did pretty well with just " one foot" !!:wink:

Baader
27-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Im left footed but my right is just as good as my left thanks to my Dad encouraging me to use my weaker foot when I was young. I find it pretty staggering how many professional footballers can't use both feet. I would say that should be a minimum requirement. It really does change the way you have to play football.

Andy74
27-07-2015, 11:03 PM
This chat only tends to come up with left footed players who aren't as strong on the right.

Brightside
28-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Its all down to poor coaching at younger age groups. If you aren't forcing kids to strike the ball with both feet by the time they are 8, they have no chance learning when they are 16,17.

number9dream
28-07-2015, 07:08 AM
If Stanton lacks confidence after he's just popped in a goal from 20 yards, then it's never going to happen for him...
Not the only player heavily reliant on one foot though, tends to apply to most at this level.
Martin had a great chance to drive on and shoot with his left after Rangers keeper's second duffed clearance but messed up by passing it on to L Allan.
You would hope our younger players would put in extra time working on their weaknesses.

Brightside
28-07-2015, 07:33 AM
If Stanton lacks confidence after he's just popped in a goal from 20 yards, then it's never going to happen for him...
Not the only player heavily reliant on one foot though, tends to apply to most at this level.
Martin had a great chance to drive on and shoot with his left after Rangers keeper's second duffed clearance but messed up by passing it on to L Allan.
You would hope our younger players would put in extra time working on their weaknesses.

Im not aware of any of our players being two footed. You get what you pay for.

LaMotta
28-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Its all down to poor coaching at younger age groups. If you aren't forcing kids to strike the ball with both feet by the time they are 8, they have no chance learning when they are 16,17.

Not always the case. I broke my right leg at 18 and during my recovery spent three months using only my left foot. Result i was then able to use both feet on the pitch!

bill the hibby
28-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Im not aware of any of our players being two footed. You get what you pay for.

To be fair though you could go through a number of teams in the EPL where players are only able to use one foot, I vey rarely seen beckham (for example) use his left foot but was still world class. But being two footed would help remarkably!

stubru59
28-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Professional players should be able to pass and shoot with either foot. No excuses.

Brightside
28-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Not always the case. I broke my right leg at 18 and during my recovery spent three months using only my left foot. Result i was then able to use both feet on the pitch!

Might be a little extreme to break kids legs at 18 just to get them using the left....but I like the idea. :greengrin

Bad Martini
28-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Professional players should be able to pass and shoot with either foot. No excuses.

:greengrin

Really? They should...but they can't, and they won't. As has been noted, such skills cost money. Not all professionals are equal...would you expect the laddie paid a few hundred quid a week learning his trade to accomplish the same feat (<<< you see what I done there :greengrin) as someone like Messi ? Both "professionals" and both paid to play fitba?

Skills can be taught. Greatness and natural talent, cannot.

And, you get what you pay for.:aok:

Disc O'Dave
28-07-2015, 12:32 PM
If you kicked the ball with both feet, wouldn't you fall over?

stubru59
28-07-2015, 12:59 PM
:greengrin

Really? They should...but they can't, and they won't. As has been noted, such skills cost money. Not all professionals are equal...would you expect the laddie paid a few hundred quid a week learning his trade to accomplish the same feat (<<< you see what I done there :greengrin) as someone like Messi ? Both "professionals" and both paid to play fitba?

Skills can be taught. Greatness and natural talent, cannot.

And, you get what you pay for.:aok:

I expect (don't often get) professional fitba players to be able (through time, practice and dedication) to make a pass, or take a shot with either foot.
Not asking much.:greengrin

liamh2202
28-07-2015, 01:09 PM

He he

A point I would make is these guys weaker foots are probably far superior to all our stronger foots. Everyone is going to have a naturally better foot growing up and if you develop both feet it would always be the case... Should they neglect their stronger foot to concentrate on their weaker foot? Or should they keep develop their strong foot to be stronger ?

stubru59
28-07-2015, 01:18 PM
He he

A point I would make is these guys weaker foots are probably far superior to all our stronger foots. Everyone is going to have a naturally better foot growing up and if you develop both feet it would always be the case... Should they neglect their stronger foot to concentrate on their weaker foot? Or should they keep develop their strong foot to be stronger ?

That's generally why they get paid to play the game and we don't. Having a dominant foot should not preclude a professional player from being able to use either foot.

liamh2202
28-07-2015, 01:25 PM
That's generally why they get paid to play the game and we don't. Having a dominant foot should not preclude a professional player from being able to use either foot.

Can they 'not' use it though or do they think there may be a better option sometimes than taking a shot that probably won't be good enough to beat a professional goalkeeper? The game is easy from the stands and I think people underestimate the difference in quality between the pros and guys that think they have played a decent standard down the park

haagsehibby
28-07-2015, 01:30 PM

A pet hate of mine is people writing "would of" and "should of" when they mean "would have" and "should have" !:wink:

Mr White
28-07-2015, 08:45 PM

That's what my 4 year old tries to do when I tell him he should learn to use both feet. The results are usually quite entertaining :greengrin