PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward..

GreenCastle
27-07-2015, 08:55 AM
The result on Saturday was a sore one - mainly due to the fact we controlled most of the 1st half and then fell apart in spectacular form.

None of us expected to lose by that margin in the opening game.

However in reality no trophies have been given out yet and our objective this season is promotion.

We have 3 games before we play Sevco again on 23rd August.

Between now and then we need to win all 3 games and gain some confidence back.

It doesn't give us much time to get the injured players back but I except a couple to feature surely.

What I feel needs sorted is our transfers to bring the players we still require in and to end this Allan nonsense once and for all. The window shuts early September and we can't have it going on in background and a repeat before we play them again.

Ending the nonsense and bringing players in will also boost the fans morale and being positivity back to us.

The weekends result has now made them strong favourites for the title - we are the underdogs and we need to use that to our advantage and the players need to think many have written them off and use it as motivation.

27-07-2015, 10:28 AM
It was a bad result because it was sevco and it's never nice getting beat to that horrible mob. I couldn't care less that we are out of that cup, if fact i'm glad we are, we don't need more games added into our season that could risk injuring a player for our more important games. It was no more than a glamourised pre-season friendly as far as i'm concerned.

They are league favourites now and are all very confident that they will stroll the league. Thats fine by me. History has shown that hibs rarely do well as being favourites. Being the underdog suits us just fine. Let sevco and there moronic fans get carried away. The team they played is pretty much their full team, they haven't been able to see ours yet so we may have a few surprises in store for them.

bill the hibby
27-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Despite what I've said on other threads, I do think it's hard to judge how we'll perform once we are back to full fitness. We had the better of rangers before they scored their goal and I remember sitting thinking it's the best I had seen us playing in a while. We should have been 2 if not 3 up before they scored had Stanton done the same with his right foot as he has with his left when he was through on goal. I do think when our injuries heal and we bring in another couple of bodies, things will be a lot closer than they were on Saturday over the course of the season.

Geo_1875
27-07-2015, 10:39 AM
It was a bad result because it was sevco and it's never nice getting beat to that horrible mob. I couldn't care less that we are out of that cup, if fact i'm glad we are, we don't need more games added into our season that could risk injuring a player for our more important games. It was no more than a glamourised pre-season friendly as far as i'm concerned.

They are league favourites now and are all very confident that they will stroll the league. Thats fine by me. History has shown that hibs rarely do well as being favourites. Being the underdog suits us just fine. Let sevco and there moronic fans get carried away. The team they played is pretty much their full team, they haven't been able to see ours yet so we may have a few surprises in store for them.

They were favourites last season and finished 3rd. I don't think we can predict how the league will look next May based on a Petrofac Training Cup first round tie.

Deansy
27-07-2015, 10:48 AM
The result on Saturday was a sore one - mainly due to the fact we controlled most of the 1st half and then fell apart in spectacular form.

None of us expected to lose by that margin in the opening game.

However in reality no trophies have been given out yet and our objective this season is promotion.

We have 3 games before we play Sevco again on 23rd August.

Between now and then we need to win all 3 games and gain some confidence back.

It doesn't give us much time to get the injured players back but I except a couple to feature surely.

What I feel needs sorted is our transfers to bring the players we still require in and to end this Allan nonsense once and for all. The window shuts early September and we can't have it going on in background and a repeat before we play them again.

Ending the nonsense and bringing players in will also boost the fans morale and being positivity back to us.

The weekends result has now made them strong favourites for the title - we are the underdogs and we need to use that to our advantage and the players need to think many have written them off and use it as motivation.

Good luck with that hope - the SMSM have the 'bit between the teeth' now and this season it'll be going all-out in it's support for their team. The thought of another season in the Championship and Championship-level entertainment at their press-conferences, fills our intrepid hacks with dread !!

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Apart from being a wake up call what happened on Saturday isn't going to define our season.

In my opinion though this pre season is shaping up, for different reasons, to be as bad as last year. This time though its not really Hibs fault ..... its pretty hard to work on formations etc when half your first picks are injured. The only criticism I would level at us is a failure to arrange a friendly against a team who would have given our defence a real test .... even at the cost of a 2 or 3 goal defeat. To me Saturday was as much down to lack of organisation and concentration than anything.

Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine and Stevenson were all pretty decent in the big games last year .... but we lost a few daft goals through poor concentration, not least in the SC semi .... its something we must work hard on.

If we can get our unfit players up to speed and add 2 or 3 more of good quality we are pretty bloody far from being a lost cause. The only thing is that just like last year we will be using the first quarter of the season to get an idea of what our best team is and bed in any new guys we might still bring in ..... we are gonna need a bit of luck, never something in big supply when it comes to us ...... If we can start with 2 wins and a draw at Ibrox I will be more than happy.

Bad Martini
27-07-2015, 11:53 AM
We could (and should) have beaten them on Saturday. Thats not bias, thats a fact. Based on the small matter of our giving it to them on a plate with some bad defending and Oxley making a total Jimmy Dunt of the near post effort...with some other mistakes, damage done.

Mistakes. **** ups. Nonsense. Bad thinking. Bad decisions.

NOT, outplayed, out muscled and out thought for 90 mins. Not even, with our best players.

And whilst we're being revisionist, can someone who genuinely believes that our season will be based on that ***** on Saturday remind of the result from the same fixture last season..............and then the subsequent games againts the huns and the head to head?

Not to let facts, genuine statistics and common sense get in the way of the hysteria mind, just so I know eh? :na na::greengrin

:thumbsup:

GreenCastle
27-07-2015, 12:10 PM
I am happy for Sevco to get carried away - while they may use it to go from strength to strength it's not always the case.

I agree about Saturday being a severe wake up call - a few things to think about.

1 - Why so few pre-season games and against mostly weaker opposition?

2 - Experience and squad depth - I understand we may be on budget but do we actually do medicals when new players sign? We have lost experience when Robertson and Craig left - not saying they are the answer but they had these qualities.

3 - Cummings and Allen up front aren't going to phase players like Danny Wilson - as soon as Malonga went off - pschologically we were up against it. Key our strikers get fit soon.

4 - As many have stated our fitness isn't as bad as many may think - though chasing a game is demorisiling and can make you feel like chasing shadows at times.

5 - Malonga and Forster - how long will they be out - that would be 7 players out injured now.

6 - Oxley - he had a poor game Saturday but he is better than the back up we have. The Sevco keeper looked suspect at times. The Hibs Academy should look at themselves and ask why they aren't producing any keepers - shocking over the last few years.

7 - If Sevco are playing 4-3-3 this season and pressing from front / stopping teams play from the back - we need a plan B and some physical presence in the middle and up front.