PDA

View Full Version : Fitness

bill the hibby
26-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Was it only me who thought the team started to tire quickly yesterday? They looked streets ahead in terms of fitness

3pm
26-07-2015, 04:26 PM
At what stage did you notice this? What is 'quickly'?

scuttle
26-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Was it only me who thought the team started to tire quickly yesterday? They looked streets ahead in terms of fitness

Thought this myself yesterday ,looked heavy legged at times

jacomo
26-07-2015, 05:10 PM
I asked this yesterday - is it possible that we have pushed our squad in order to build stamina for the whole season?

We are still in pre-season - hesitant to draw too many conclusions as this early stage.

Pretty Boy
26-07-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm sure Stubbs and the rest of the coaching staff know what they are doing but I can't help thinking we really haven't played many pre season games. 4 if you include the Wigan kick about and most players have only had limited game time. Is that not a lot less than usual?

The season has started, and for those who don't acknowledge the challenge cup, definitely starts next week and that seems like not a lot of game time to me.

Baldy Foghorn
26-07-2015, 05:18 PM
One thing the player's are not is unfit.....In terms of fitness now, to fitness at start of last season we are well ahead.

J-C
26-07-2015, 05:24 PM
One thing the player's are not is unfit.....In terms of fitness now, to fitness at start of last season we are well ahead.

What they are is not match fit, big difference, the trip to La Manga was a waste, 4-5 decent pre season games would've been better prep.

Centre Hawf
26-07-2015, 05:25 PM
One thing the player's are not is unfit.....In terms of fitness now, to fitness at start of last season we are well ahead.Aye but in terms of our division rivals we look well behind and it showed yesterday. I'm sure the fitness regimes are still being implemented to an extent but that fact that Rangers signed most of their team recently and played the same if not one less game than us worries me that they looked streets ahead of us in terms of fitness.

Haymaker
26-07-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm sure Stubbs and the rest of the coaching staff know what they are doing but I can't help thinking we really haven't played many pre season games. 4 if you include the Wigan kick about and most players have only had limited game time. Is that not a lot less than usual?

The season has started, and for those who don't acknowledge the challenge cup, definitely starts next week and that seems like not a lot of game time to me.

:agree: Seems a lot less, although yesterday might have been the final game as it were before the seasons starts next week.

truehibernian
26-07-2015, 05:28 PM
For me I don't think the team were unfit, I think the game ran away from them at key times - it's so easy to find an extra two yards, make a lung bursting run to tackle or keep ball in play, to retain the ball, when you are 3 or 4 goals to the good - on the other side, it's easy to withdraw into your shell, not be keen to take a pass, feel sorry for yourself when you are on the receiving end.

We had a 17 year old anchoring and an 18 year old up top - never kicked a ball in anger at this level. Yet if you'd stopped the game at 35 minutes and asked 1) who are the better side and 2) who look the fittest, it would have been Hibs. Yesterday it was the mental side of the game that let the team down - they withdrew and were fragile - that needs worked on.

All in all the result and direction of the game was a perfect storm - Malonga goes off, we miss chances, they score 3 in 10 minutes, we have a goal ruled out for offisde, Forster goes off so we lose a bit of strength and set piece armoury, we failed to close down in key areas and everything they hit, literally, they scored from.

I watched the game again and from 60 onwards we lacked a leader. I also counted around 6 gilt edged chances to score - again at key times. With a very understrength side and our key man not on the pitch until 60 minutes or so........

I'd be way way more concerned if we lost 6-2 and didn't create anything at all - facts are we did and were nowhere near clinical enough.

Baldy Foghorn
26-07-2015, 05:32 PM
What they are is not match fit, big difference, the trip to La Manga was a waste, 4-5 decent pre season games would've been better prep.

Not what the coaches think.......

bill the hibby
26-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I too am starting to think what the benefits of la manga were. We didn't look match fit, we looked unfitter than the Huns did, we've picked up a few injuries since returning...what were the benefits?

J-C
26-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Not what the coaches think.......

Don't care what they think right now, it's my opinion which I'm giving on a message board, they needed match fitness which they are very short of.

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2015, 06:48 PM
All this fitness and match fitness talk makes me laugh it really does. Do people think that 90 minutes in a friendly is really that different to 90 minutes in a training match? The same old nonsense is trotted out time again about our fitness when things don't go well for us. When you make mistakes and lose silly goals heads drop as does confidence, at the same time the opposition get a lift from this and begin to play with more confidence and make it look easier. Suddenly certain people think they know more about fitness and training methods than our management team and fitness experts.

cabbageandribs1875
26-07-2015, 06:49 PM
we should have kept scott robertson, bit o dig :agree:

(sigh) :(

ancient hibee
26-07-2015, 07:03 PM
The reason they looked fitter than us is that after half an hour they had more of the ball than us.The team chasing the ball always looks slower.In the first 30 minutes we made them look pedestrian because we were using the ball well.

hibs0666
26-07-2015, 07:09 PM
I too am starting to think what the benefits of la manga were. We didn't look match fit, we looked unfitter than the Huns did, we've picked up a few injuries since returning...what were the benefits?

But you're in panic mode.

3pm
26-07-2015, 07:10 PM
we should have kept scott robertson, bit o dig :agree:

(sigh) :(

Steady.

greenlex
26-07-2015, 07:43 PM
We shouldn't be confusing tiring and capitulating. After they scored the 4th so quickly after we had just hauled ourselves back in the game. The heads undoubtably went down.

jdships
26-07-2015, 07:51 PM
The reason they looked fitter than us is that after half an hour they had more of the ball than us.The team chasing the ball always looks slower.In the first 30 minutes we made them look pedestrian because we were using the ball well.

That says it for me :thumbsup:
Jock Wallace used to laugh about his traing on the sand dunes at Gullane .
" You may think you are bum fit after this but you are not really up to the mark until you are " Match Fit"
That applies to ALL sports !!

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2015, 07:59 PM
That says it for me :thumbsup:
Jock Wallace used to laugh about his traing on the sand dunes at Gullane .
" You may think you are bum fit after this but you are not really up to the mark until you are " Match Fit"
That applies to ALL sports !!

Fitness levels from Jock Wallace's time are incomparable, players these days are athletes as opposed to 40 a day men.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Fitness levels from Jock Wallace's time are incomparable, players these days are athletes as opposed to 40 a day men.

Bang on, in these days these they had 6/7 weeks holiday and came back a stone overweight. The sand dunes were to get them back into some sort of shape

Baldy Foghorn
26-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Don't care what they think right now, it's my opinion which I'm giving on a message board, they needed match fitness which they are very short of.

Oh right, so your opinion is worth more than the Hibs fitness staff and coaches....Cool:aok:

familyman
26-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Hmm, we gave up too soon and so got heavy legged.S A managed to run past several players but he was not playing 90 mins...I think we were not as fit as Rangers yes, but it is too early really to expect 100% fitness.
A lack of pace seems to prevail just now and Malonga even 100% fit seems no match for Miller speed wise at any rate.
If the team play ball watching football (Hanlon) then we will always look slower as we respond too late too often to what is actually going on tactic wise.If it was just fitness it would be easily fixed ,sadly there is a lot more going on or rather not going on based on that last game.
Let us put it aside and move on now...stay upbeat it was just one game albeit a grim start.Alan Stubbs will sort it out behind the scene ..

jdships
27-07-2015, 08:00 AM

You believe there are no smokers in football these days ?
latapay enjoyed a fag as do a few SPfL players
If you think Jock Wallace's training methods didn't produce fit athletes you are mistaken !!
We trained twice a day three days a week which is more than happens in most clubs nowadays .

bigwheel
27-07-2015, 08:12 AM
If you think Jock Wallace's training methods didn't produce fit athletes you are mistaken !!
We trained twice a day three days a week which is more than happens in most clubs nowadays .

The science has moved on though.....Wallace's old school methods are not the optimum way to get people fit now, and the game is a whole lot faster...I've no doubt they were athletes back in your day...but Athlete's of today are on a different level...even at our club

hibs0666
27-07-2015, 08:19 AM

Even today's mediocre Hibs team would wipe the floor with the tornadoes due simply to improved fitness.

Gettin' Auld
27-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Even today's mediocre Hibs team would wipe the floor with the tornadoes due simply to improved fitness.

I'm sure they would. The remaining tornado's will be pensioners now. :wink:

hibs0666
27-07-2015, 10:05 AM

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em in. :wink:

Gettin' Auld
27-07-2015, 10:20 AM
I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em in. :wink:

:aok:

J-C
27-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Oh right, so your opinion is worth more than the Hibs fitness staff and coaches....Cool:aok:

Well with me being a fully qualified personal trainer and sport nutritionist, I'd say I have a fair bit of knowledge concerning this than you have. I played rugby at a high level, represented Scotland at American football and played until I was 41, I think I am fairly qualified to speak on such matters.

Keith_M
27-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Well with me being a fully qualified personal trainer and sport nutritionist, I'd say I have a fair bit of knowledge concerning this than you have. I played rugby at a high level, represented Scotland at American football and played until I was 41, I think I am fairly qualified to speak on such matters.

Any recommendations on how to build my Abs?

:greengrin

Gatecrasher
27-07-2015, 11:35 AM
We shouldn't be confusing tiring and capitulating. After they scored the 4th so quickly after we had just hauled ourselves back in the game. The heads undoubtably went down.

Exactly what I was going to post, Rangers had their tails up and we had just got ourselves back into the game when they scored again. No doubt the heads went down and we lost the momentum. We were the fittest I had seen us for years last season the same coaches won't have us tiring after an hour.

J-C
27-07-2015, 11:36 AM

Apart from the obvious lose the fat :greengrin

Core is more important and abs can be a bit genetic too, some people have bulging ones, where others have larger flatter ones. Weighted crunches using a cable, kneel down with the cable behind your head, pick a decent weight and crunch down. Also lying on your back with legs 6ins off the floor, doing scissors/circles/opening legs back and forth is very good for lower abs, that's about all you need to do.

Baldy Foghorn
27-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Impressive, hand your CV into Club:aok:

I never claimed to be in the know regarding fitness, but I saw the players recently, and saw how fit they all looked. In fact close up you really see how toned they are, as opposed to seeing them from the Stands, I was very surprised by that.

I trust Hibs and their staff to know what they are doing.

Forza Fred
27-07-2015, 11:51 AM
It appears that on this thread we appear desperate to avoid suggesting our fitness levels are high.

Almost in Don't mention the war fashion.

I'll put my tin hat on and say that Rangers DID seem fitter than us.

When you are less fit mistakes are more forthcoming.

And recently Celtic stated that Leigh Griffiths improved form was down to him finally attaining a level of fitness that was acceptable at Celtic.....implying that the standard he met at Hibs was not acceptable to Celtic.

Steven Fletcher also talked a couple of years ago about the higher expected fitness levels down South than what he was used to at Easter Road.

Some players may only have so much ability and there ain't much we can do about that, but there is no reason why they can't be super fit.

Against Rangers we certainly looked second best in the fitness as well as footballing stakes.

Forza Fred
27-07-2015, 11:53 AM
It appears that on this thread we appear desperate to avoid suggesting our fitness levels are high.

Almost in Don't mention the war fashion.

I'll put my tin hat on and say that Rangers DID seem fitter than us.

When you are less fit mistakes are more forthcoming.

And recently Celtic stated that Leigh Griffiths improved form was down to him finally attaining a level of fitness that was acceptable at Celtic.....implying that the standard he met at Hibs was not acceptable to Celtic.

Steven Fletcher also talked a couple of years ago about the higher expected fitness levels down South than what he was used to at Easter Road.

Some players may only have so much ability and there ain't much we can do about that, but there is no reason why they can't be super fit.

Against Rangers we certainly looked second best in the fitness as well as footballing stakes.

Obvious editing error......first sentence should end with words 'are NOT high'

Apologies

offshorehibby
27-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Steven Fletcher also talked a couple of years ago about the higher expected fitness levels down South than what he was used to at Easter Road..

Management has changes since these 2 players were at Easter Road, the well being and fitness of players have moved on considerably since Griffiths left. We have proper fitness coaches and sports science people in place. My bench mark will be 8th August.

J-C
27-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Impressive, hand your CV into Club:aok:

I never claimed to be in the know regarding fitness, but I saw the players recently, and saw how fit they all looked. In fact close up you really see how toned they are, as opposed to seeing them from the Stands, I was very surprised by that.

I trust Hibs and their staff to know what they are doing.

You see I have never said they were not fit, my words were match fit, a huge difference. No matter all the running, weights, plyometrics etc, match fitness can only be gotten in games, we never had enough pre season games to sharpen up our game play, it stood out during the second half.

In fact the more I read your posts, you come across as very aggressive and anyone who disagrees with your way of thinking is dismissed out of hand, your posting on the Scott Allan thread is a perfect example, you must be a joy to live with.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2015, 01:52 PM

No comparison I'm afraid.

jdships
27-07-2015, 02:01 PM
No comparison I'm afraid.

Let's just respect each others opinions ( unlike others above )move on and leave it like that :greengrin:wink:

Unseen work
27-07-2015, 02:26 PM

Squat and deadlift helps bring them on rapidly! Improves your core as a whole vastly. High intensity interval training cuts the fat and builds the muscle very well for the toned look. Searching for it on YouTube will show you a lot of different excercises! Work for 20 seconds and rest for 40 for a couple of Sets and you will be buzzing 👍🏻

ancient hibee
27-07-2015, 05:56 PM

The old ones are the best:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
27-07-2015, 06:57 PM
You see I have never said they were not fit, my words were match fit, a huge difference. No matter all the running, weights, plyometrics etc, match fitness can only be gotten in games, we never had enough pre season games to sharpen up our game play, it stood out during the second half.

In fact the more I read your posts, you come across as very aggressive and anyone who disagrees with your way of thinking is dismissed out of hand, your posting on the Scott Allan thread is a perfect example, you must be a joy to live with.

:aok: Thanks for those kind words.......

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Let's just respect each others opinions ( unlike others above )move on and leave it like that :greengrin:wink:

Aye awrite then :-)

Kato
27-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Exactly right.