PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Draw

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Live now on BBC Red Button (or the BBC Sport website) but ALL continents being drawn at the same time. CONCACAF just done and Oceanian about to be drawn.

Part of me is conflicted because I loathe FIFA and everything they represent right now but of course, from a Scotland/USA perspective, I'm interested to see who we get.

Whilst few people probably care, the CONCACAF draw came out like this:

Group A

Honduras
Mexico
Curacao/El Salvador
Canada/Belize

Group B

Panama
Costa Rica
Grenada/Haiti
Jamaica/Nicuragua

Group C

Trinidad & Tobago
United States
St Vincent & Grenadines/Aruba
Antigua & Barbuda/Guatemala

LaMotta
25-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Live now on BBC Red Button (or the BBC Sport website) but ALL continents being drawn at the same time. CONCACAF just done and Oceanian about to be drawn.

Part of me is conflicted because I loathe FIFA and everything they represent right now but of course, from a Scotland/USA perspective, I'm interested to see who we get.

Group A

Honduras
Mexico
Curacao/El Salvador
Canada/Belize

Group B

Panama
Costa Rica
Grenada/Haiti
Jamaica/Nicuragua

Group C

Trinidad & Tobago
United States

How many teams from conker café can qualify?

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Round 1

American Samoa
Cook Islands
Samoa
Tonga

Group A

Tahiti
Papa New Guinea
Winner Round 1
New Caledonia

Group B

New Zealand
Fiji
Vanuatu
Solomon Islands

Top 3 from each group advance to a 'round 2'.

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:24 PM
How many teams from conker café can qualify?

Winner of each group plus the best runner up playing an inter-continental knockout.

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:29 PM
The South American draw feels hopelessly pointless - they're all in one big group anyway - all this dictates is when they play who?

LaMotta
25-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Winner of each group plus the best runner up playing an inter-continental knockout.

Ta. Mexico, Costa Rica and USA to qualify I suppose with Honduras and T&T and Jamaica fighting for play offs.

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Matchday 1

Chile vs Brazil
Bolivia vs Uruguay
Argentina vs Equador
Bolivia vs Paraguay
Columbia vs Peru

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Somalia/Niger v Cameroon
South Sudan/Mauritania v Tunisia
Gambia/Namibia v Guinea
Sao Tome e Principe/Ethiopia v Congo
Chad/Sierra Leone v Egypt
Comoros/Lesotho v Ghana
Djibouti/Swaziland v Nigeria
Eritrea/Botswana v Mali
Seychelles/Burundi v Congo DR
Liberia/Guinea-Bissau v Ivory Coast
Central African Republic/Madagascar v Senegal
Mauritius/Kenya v Cape Verde
Tanzania/Malawi v Algeria
Sudan v Zambia
Libya v Rwanda
Morocco v Equatorial Guinea
Mozambique v Gabon
Benin v Burkina Faso
Togo v Uganda
Angola v South Africa

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:43 PM
The big European countries have to go into the big groups because of commercial 'central licensing' :rolleyes:

Says it all for me.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Good draw for us so far, only the top seeded team to come and i'm confident we can finish above the teams we've already been drawn with.

jonty
25-07-2015, 04:59 PM
England. could have been worse. :rolleyes:

Sylar
25-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Group A

Netherlands
France
Sweden
Bulgaria
Belarus
Luxembourg

Group B

Portugal
Switzerland
Hungary
Faroe Islands
Latvia
Andorra

Group C

Germany
Czech Republic
Northern Ireland
Norway
Azerbaijan
San Marino

Group D

Wales
Austria
Serbia
Republic of Ireland
Moldova
Georgia

Group E

Romania
Denmark
Poland
Montenegro
Armenia
Kazakhstan

Group F

England
Slovakia
Scotland
Slovenia
Lithuania
Malta

Group G

Spain
Italy
Albania
Israel
FYR Macedonia
Liechtenstein

Group H

Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Greece
Estonia
Cyprus

Group I

Croatia
Iceland
Ukraine
Turkey
Finland

**** right off! :rolleyes:

HibbyAndy
25-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Very decent group

tamig
25-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Group A

Honduras
Mexico
Curacao/El Salvador
Canada/Belize

Group B

Panama
Costa Rica
Grenada/Haiti
Jamaica/Nicuragua

Group C

Trinidad & Tobago
United States

What's the significance of the "/" characters? Do these teams have to play off just to make the groups?

SlickShoes
25-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Not a bad group at all, can't complain really.

Sylar
25-07-2015, 05:03 PM
What's the significance of the "/" characters? Do these teams have to play off just to make the groups?

Yes :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
Could have been a lot lot worse.

col02
Could have been better but could have been worse too. Spain and Italy in the same group - ouch!

Pretty Boy
25-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Usually England always get a piss easy group and Scotland get a shocker.

In this instance I think both teams will be satisfied without being delighted. Not bad, not great.

HibbyAndy
25-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Do the top 2 qualify ?

Pete
25-07-2015, 05:05 PM
We got England??

Ya **** er :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Yaaas only Slovakia to worry about the rest are minnows, great group for England.

Benny Brazil
Do the top 2 qualify ?

Think top team qualify - 2nd goes into playoff

Nevi_SOL
Do the top 2 qualify ?

Top team qualify runners up are in play offs

Pete
25-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Yaaas only Slovakia to worry about the rest are minnows, great group for England.

Agree. They are your only real challengers for second place.

Sir David Gray
25-07-2015, 05:08 PM

:faf: Aye right, bring it on!

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 05:10 PM
:faf: Aye right, bring it on!

Bring what on? It's the World Cup qualifiers,Scotland don't do qualification.

tamig
25-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Yes :agree:

Cheers bud. That's a bit harsh as the minnows in UEFA all go straight in.

Eyrie
25-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Scotland like to get knocked out early - it avoids the elevated hopes and crashing disappointment that happens every time to our neighbours :na na:

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Scotland like to get knocked out early - it avoids the elevated hopes and crashing disappointment that happens every time to our neighbours :na na:

The positive to take from getting knocked out early is that it takes away the fear of being knocked out early

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Win-Win for me. I'd love to watch Scotland in the World Cup but happy with the consolation of enjoying a beer whilst watching 'them' get pumped out!

I'll watch any sport (which is almost all) where 'they' get beat ...

Eyrie
25-07-2015, 06:38 PM
The positive to take from getting knocked out early is that it takes away the fear of being knocked out early
:top marks

Win-Win for me. I'd love to watch Scotland in the World Cup but happy with the consolation of enjoying a beer whilst watching 'them' get pumped out!

I'll watch any sport (which is almost all) where 'they' get beat ...
I'm old enough to remember Scotland in World Cups - you're not missing anything.

The only England team that I loath is their rugby team. Oddly I don't mind their football team, although I'd never support them.

SJNB Hibby
25-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Top team qualify runners up are in play offs

Only 8 of the 9 runners up

Mikey09
25-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Malta!!!! Fantastic!!! Was in Malta when we played them in 93. Jim Leighton played in goals that night. Was one of the best weeks of my life!! :greengrin

Haymaker
25-07-2015, 08:47 PM
England v scotland, ya beauty!

Scottie
25-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Great draw for us IMO.

If we can get the scheduling right with the games we have a great chance this time of qualifying. (hopefully)

iwasthere1972
25-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Wales who were in pot 1 appear to have a harder group than us. By us I mean Scotland.

Nando™
25-07-2015, 10:02 PM
F***ing Lithuania again :sairhead:

Bad Martini
25-07-2015, 10:25 PM
****ing hell man. I thought they wouldve challenged us with a few half decent teams. Germany, Spain, Italy etc.

... And who this team who keep losing in semifinal against germany on penalties!?!?!? :greengrin

We fans will know what real loyal support is according to uncle woy when they come up here.

Brawwwwww. Cheers woy

Sir David Gray
25-07-2015, 10:25 PM

Bring on the English!

Scotland under Gordon Strachan are a different animal and I'm quite confident about qualifying from that group.

We'll be coming...:wink:

JohnStephens91
25-07-2015, 10:37 PM

Apologies, but that is incorrect regarding CONCACAF qualifying. The top two in each of the three groups go onto the six-team round robin, which is called the Hexagonal. Each team plays twice in that section of qualifying.

The top three in the Hexagonal then go through to the World Cup, with the fourth place team entering the inter-continental play-off.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Bring on the English!

Scotland under Gordon Strachan are a different animal and I'm quite confident about qualifying from that group.

We'll be coming...:wink:

You're always coming but you never arrive.

J-C
26-07-2015, 01:31 AM
A good group for a change, in with a chance.

Pete
26-07-2015, 01:55 AM
A good group for a change, in with a chance.

:agree:

No disrespect to the others but the playoffs at the very least are a realistic target.

Makes a change not to get a **** of a group.

Forza Fred
26-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Live now on BBC Red Button (or the BBC Sport website) but ALL continents being drawn at the

ALL?

Are you sure?

I didn't see the telecast but surely ASIA wasn't drawn?

Pete
26-07-2015, 03:41 AM

How many months of this type of craic do we have to look forward to?

:saltireflag

Col2
26-07-2015, 04:44 AM
Excellent draw. If you look at some of the other groups that 3rd seeded teams got and we came out of it very well.

No nasty trips, dodgy countries and some great places to visit for the TA, except maybe England.

IF we keep progressing like we are then the double header with England will be very tasty. Makes a change for Englad to get a tough game in a qualifier.

Onion
26-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Excellent draw. If you look at some of the other groups that 3rd seeded teams got and we came out of it very well.

No nasty trips, dodgy countries and some great places to visit for the TA, except maybe England.

IF we keep progressing like we are then the double header with England will be very tasty. Makes a change for Englad to get a tough game in a qualifier.

Agreed, we'll look forward to the EvS match much more than they will. We've nothing to lose and will be huge underdogs against the soon-to-be-crowned World Champions. Our main challenge will be matching the Engerlish against the other teams. IMO we need to get at the Engerlish early on.

Sylar
26-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Apologies, but that is incorrect regarding CONCACAF qualifying. The top two in each of the three groups go onto the six-team round robin, which is called the Hexagonal. Each team plays twice in that section of qualifying.

The top three in the Hexagonal then go through to the World Cup, with the fourth place team entering the inter-continental play-off.

Ah, cheers S&S. I wasn't 100% confident in my answer but I missed the draw and the pre-amble :aok:

ALL?

Are you sure?

I didn't see the telecast but surely ASIA wasn't drawn?

All remaining continents were drawn. I think Asia was drawn back in April? I still find it really odd that Australia are part of the Asia setup.

erin go bragh
26-07-2015, 08:43 AM

FFs . So we could win our group and still not qualify. You sure about that mate .

GGTTH

Since90+2
26-07-2015, 08:45 AM
FFs . So we could win our group and still not qualify. You sure about that mate .

GGTTH

If we win the group we will qualify automatically with the 8 best runners up going into a playoff.

erin go bragh
26-07-2015, 08:50 AM
If we win the group we will qualify automatically with the 8 best runners up going into a playoff.

Cheers SL . It's the other groups that have to double qualify.

GGTTH

Hibrandenburg
26-07-2015, 09:47 AM

Guess that's why we're so popular with the ladies.

PatHead
26-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Don't think it is as easy as a lot of folk think. Slovakia have a 100% record in Euro qualifying including a home win over Spain and an away win in Ukraine

Billy Whizz
26-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Fixtures out at 1pm today I believe

cabbageandribs1875
26-07-2015, 10:59 AM
not a bad draw for us, at least we avoided the real big guns in football( Germany, Italy,Spain)for a change :agree:

hibee_girl
26-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Fixtures out at 1pm today I believe

They are already out, saw them on Twitter earlier

https://twitter.com/scottishfa/status/625236762382737408

H18sry
26-07-2015, 11:10 AM
:wink:

Billy Whizz
26-07-2015, 11:25 AM

Did I see you in the TV getting interviewed after the game?

Billy Whizz
26-07-2015, 11:29 AM

10th June 2017 for scotland v England at Hampden

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-07-2015, 12:25 PM
All away trips to look forward to, happy days!

SteveHFC
26-07-2015, 02:42 PM
10th June 2017 for scotland v England at Hampden

Sure Police Scotland will be happy with that one!.

Really good draw for us. A lot of people seem to be saying Slovakia should be easy opponents for us. Slovakia are on a really good run at the moment. Reckon it'll be between us and them for 2nd.

Pretty Boy
26-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Sure Police Scotland will be happy with that one!.

Really good draw for us. A lot of people seem to be saying Slovakia should be easy opponents for us. Slovakia are on a really good run at the moment. Reckon it'll be between us and them for 2nd.

As unpalatable as it probably is for Scotland fans I think they really need to hope England win all their other games and hope Scotland can take something in Bratislava and beat Slovakia at Hampden.

If that happens 2nd place should be sorted.

Sylar
26-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I agree it could have been worse but it's far from an easy draw.

Slovakia (as pointed out) are playing well right now, Slovenia were excellent at the 2010 World Cup and were unfortunate not to go beyond the group stages. They've struggled a wee bit in this qualifying campaign but the spread of where their players come from means they'll be no pushovers. Then there's our auld pal's Lithuania...

Our weeks 3-7 fixtures are tricky, particularly back to back away games in Bratislava and London.