PDA

View Full Version : Crowds - long term problem

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Only 11,000 there today for a game against Rangers. 7500 Hibs fans.
That's lower than we would have got for a St. Mirren game a few years ago.
For all the lard work being put in by Leeann to re-engage the supporters, it appears as the fans are just not buying it.
Not sure what it's going to take to change this but it will need to happen soon.

QMU-1875
25-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Wonder why they are staying away? It's one humiliation after another.

emerald green
25-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Today's result will have thousands returning to ER (not). That's very much another downside to today's result sadly.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 02:55 PM
For all the lard work being put in by Leeann to re-engage the supporters, it appears as the fans are just not buying it.
Not sure what it's going to take to change this but it will need to happen soon.

Diddy cup
Holiday time
Some folk thought it too expensive

Mikey09
25-07-2015, 02:55 PM
I know I really have no right to criticise as I haven't been able to get to Easter Road due to work commitments but when myself and my daughter took our seats in the East today 10mins before kick off I was astounded by how empty the FF and West stands were... Scary.

Alfred E Newman
25-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Performances like that won't have the fans rushing back that's for sure. The Scott Allan carry on will not help matters and even although I have a season ticket, I must admit it is making me wonder if it is worth the bother.

magpie1892
25-07-2015, 02:57 PM

We would not have got more than 11,000 for a first round Challenge Cup game against St Mirren 'a few years ago'. Please...

Future17
25-07-2015, 02:57 PM

A lot of people are on hols at this time of year so probably not the time to compare attendances.

However, Hibs need to get the potential fans (outside the hardcore) excited about coming to ER to watch football. In our current circumstances, that is a very hard task.

hibsmad
25-07-2015, 02:58 PM

It's a ***** cup that few fans care about winning. I've got my season ticket this year, for the first time in 6 years, but I never had the slightest interest in going today. When we only have 7,500 fans for a league game against them then I'll be worried. Not worried about an attendance for the first round of the petrofac cup.

Nevi_SOL
25-07-2015, 02:59 PM
I know a lot of season ticket holders that weren't there myself included for different reasons. It's the petrofac cup christ

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-07-2015, 02:59 PM

😂😂😂

***** cup
Maybe a bit pricey for some
People are still on holiday
It was on TV
Lunchtime kick off.

Lago
25-07-2015, 03:02 PM
The only thing to get people back is consistently winning games, playing attractive football would be the iceing on the cake.

lucky
Diddy cup
Holiday time
Some folk thought it too expensive

I was surprised that over 11000 turned up. Next week we won't get over 7000. Football is expensive. ST, shares, HSL and additional cash for cup games. Add in that we are in the second tier of Scottish football for the second season in a row. LD is doing a good job but reality Calderwood/Fenlon/Butcher ripped the heart out of the club along with Petrie. It's going to take a lot of effort and patience to turn the club around and to get the crowds back to the Mowbray era

Pete
To look at today's crowd and try and use it as evidence of a "long term problem" is beyond negative.

Andy74
25-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Aye bring on the summer football.

Keith_M
25-07-2015, 03:03 PM
We would not have got more than 11,000 for a first round Challenge Cup game against St Mirren 'a few years ago'. Please...

St Mirren wouldn't have brought 3,500 Fans, so the comparison is pointless.

MSK
25-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Wonder why they are staying away? It's one humiliation after another.Humiliation ? Behave yersel, today had no importance for me, I even went shopping with the wife, come the important games, the ones that I actually give a **** about then I will be there, today imo was just another bounce game 👍

zitelli62
25-07-2015, 03:06 PM
how about a premier league team to watch every other week im sure that would bring the crowds back

eastterrace
25-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Humiliation ? Behave yersel, today had no importance for me, I even went shopping with the wife, come the important games, the ones that I actually give a **** about then I will be there, today imo was just another bounce game 

spot on mate i couldnt have cared about today, some pish cup, i do worry about the score tho.

JohnM1875
25-07-2015, 03:12 PM
spot on mate i couldnt have cared about today, some pish cup, i do worry about the score tho.

100% agree. Couldn't care less about the cup competition. But we shouldn't be getting beat 6-2 at home from anyone!

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 03:15 PM

Ye just cannae help yerself, can ye?

25-07-2015, 03:18 PM
It's a ***** cup that few fans care about winning. I've got my season ticket this year, for the first time in 6 years, but I never had the slightest interest in going today. When we only have 7,500 fans for a league game against them then I'll be worried. Not worried about an attendance for the first round of the petrofac cup.

:agree:

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I didn't go as I had to get my car serviced at 11 am, and it was on Alba and has been said, crappy wee cup, I'll be there when the season properly starts.

NAE NOOKIE
25-07-2015, 03:21 PM
I am usually one of five and today was just myself because everybody was away on holiday .... 12:30 Kick off. Live on free to view telly, and a small competition. This is hardly the game to use as a barometer of our crowds this season.

Play like we did in the second half and it will be though !!!

sbell1875
25-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Scary thing is they're asking for the same amount for the Montrose game next week.

CB_NO3
25-07-2015, 03:23 PM
You get the super hero fans on this board that try and justify our position as well. We are, what we are. A failed miserable football club. Facts are facts. We are still paying for the major F ups of Farmer and Petrie. The joys of being a Hibby.

erin go bragh
25-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Thought the crowd was ok considering its a joke cup , live on normal tv and an early k o .

GGTTH

MSK
25-07-2015, 03:26 PM
spot on mate i couldnt have cared about today, some pish cup, i do worry about the score tho.Stubbs knows what he needs, today's game is a good learning curve, Stubbs will know what he needs before the season starts, I'm confident about that

emerald green
I got a text message from a lapsed Hibs fan after the game, and his question was "what the f*** happened this time".

Results like today's are NOT going to get former supporters back to ER, whether it's a crap cup or not.

Alfred E Newman
Scary thing is they're asking for the same amount for the Montrose game next week.

How much was it? Cup top up for £30 and 2 games before the season starts in earnest is not bad value.

MSK
25-07-2015, 03:28 PM
I got a text message from a lapsed Hibs fan after the game, and his question was "what the f*** happened this time".

Results like today's are NOT going to get former supporters back to ER, whether it's a crap cup or not.Todays result has no bearing on my decision to renew, haven't as yet but will next week, along with the wife

SkintHibby
25-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Ive now accepted we are a club in terminal decline and every passing day we are haemorraging fans - sometimes forever.

The humiliations on the pitch seem never ending.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Ye just cannae help yerself, can ye?

You don't think it's a concern?

sbell1875
25-07-2015, 03:34 PM
How much was it? Cup top up for £30 and 2 games before the season starts in earnest is not bad value.

£15 for adults today and the same next weekend.

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Long term decline is that more kids want to wear Barcelona tops than even the Tim's and Huns in Glasgow.

emerald green
Todays result has no bearing on my decision to renew, haven't as yet but will next week, along with the wife

That's great, but you are not a lapsed supporter if you are renewing a season ticket.

The person who text me (and the many other lapsed supporters I'm referring to) is a former long term supporter of the club who stopped attending matches at a few seasons ago, and will have no reason to return following results like todays.

magpie1892
St Mirren wouldn't have brought 3,500 Fans, so the comparison is pointless.

Much like the thread.

jacomo
25-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Aye bring on the summer football.

Never been convinced that switching to summer football would have the transformative effect that people claim for it.

Today's crowd shows why - so many alternatives, especially for families, on summer weekends, even if not away on holiday.

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 03:41 PM
You don't think it's a concern?

Nope, not even slightly concerned.

Hearts scooshed the league last season and barely had that figure in home Scottish Cup ties against Celtic in the last two seasons.

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 03:43 PM

Never been convinced that switching to summer football would have the transformative effect that people claim for it.

Today's crowd shows why - so many alternatives, especially for families, on summer weekends, even if not away on holiday.

Bring on the snow and howling gales. Cannae wait.

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 03:46 PM
That's great, but you are not a lapsed supporter if you are renewing a season ticket.

The person who text me (and the many other lapsed supporters I'm referring to) is a former long term supporter of the club who stopped attending matches at a few seasons ago, and will have no reason to return following results like todays.

If we had won 6-2 today would he have bought as season ticket?

Nah, thought not.

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Humiliation ? Behave yersel, today had no importance for me, I even went shopping with the wife, come the important games, the ones that I actually give a **** about then I will be there, today imo was just another bounce game 👍

Was another humping in a long line. Not good.

MSK
25-07-2015, 03:52 PM

Nah, thought not.Yip, excuses now being churned out left right and centre

NAE NOOKIE
25-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Ive now accepted we are a club in terminal decline and every passing day we are haemorraging fans - sometimes forever.

Hardly ...... FFS we had 5 players missing and our best player on the bench with his head turned to mince, add to that Malonga going off to be replaced by a raw teenager after half an hour and its not exactly the game to justify that level of panic. Terminal decline my arse.

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2015, 03:53 PM

The vast majority of replies will be about the football, Petrie, TV, blah, blah, blah.

The reality is that most people have had and will have less money in their pocket because we've been in an economic car crash for a few years and the way it's played out has meant that working people in Scotland are really starting to feel it now.

Folk simply don't have the money. It's easier to blame other things though.

Pete
25-07-2015, 03:54 PM

What Morrisey song is that from?

CraigHibee
25-07-2015, 03:54 PM
I've got cup top up and missed today as I'm on holiday

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2015, 03:55 PM
What Morrisey song is that from?

:greengrin

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 03:57 PM
:greengrin

**** the hearts.

ALF TUPPER
25-07-2015, 04:01 PM
😂😂😂

***** cup
Maybe a bit pricey for some
People are still on holiday
It was on TV
Lunchtime kick off.

Yep. All of the above

emerald green
25-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Nah, thought not.

Possibly not, I don't know and neither do you. But that's not the point.

If the score had been reversed, there's surely more chance that people will consider that things really have changed for the better on the pitch, results-wise. Folk will say things like..."6-2 for Hibs - that's brilliant!" What do you think they say when they hear today's result?

Anyone who thinks that Hibs getting trounced 6-2 at home to The Rangers, who many on this board were calling "crap" recently, is going to encourage lapsed supporters back to ER, never mind go to the expense of a season ticket, are living in cloud cuckoo land IMO.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 04:29 PM
The vast majority of replies will be about the football, Petrie, TV, blah, blah, blah.

The reality is that most people have had and will have less money in their pocket because we've been in an economic car crash for a few years and the way it's played out has meant that working people in Scotland are really starting to feel it now.

Folk simply don't have the money. It's easier to blame other things though.

Crash not affect the yams?

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 04:35 PM

If the score had been reversed, there's surely more chance that people will consider that things really have changed for the better on the pitch, results-wise. Folk will say things like..."6-2 for Hibs - that's brilliant!" What do you think they say when they hear today's result?

Anyone who thinks that Hibs getting trounced 6-2 at home to The Rangers, who many on this board were calling "crap" recently, is going to encourage lapsed supporters back to ER, never mind go to the expense of a season ticket, are living in cloud cuckoo land IMO.

I obviously wasn't happy with the score but my point was your texter is probably a lost cause irrespective of what happened.

I can't imagine any Hibs fan whatsoever would be cheering on hearing todays result but if that was the sole reason for not returning to Easter Road then they are probably right in staying away.

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Are you suggesting they are a sustainable long-term financial model?

Would sort of contradict some of your previous posts.

The point I was making and the point I would hope you would agree with is that clubs have to deal with their fanbase having less disposable income.

I think that's the biggest reason for crowds being down.

derekduval
25-07-2015, 04:44 PM
I gave up my season ticket 2 years ago and generally can't be arsed. This season I will probably make 4 or 5 home games a couple of aways and a trip to hampden if we get there. Today my options were phone my mates who are lapsed season ticket holders, take my kids who had a birthday party so that was out, watch at home or in the pub or go to work and listen on the radio. I went to work. Unfortunately people have to many options nowadays. And this all before you bring in the excuses that it's too expensive (not including today), tv, constant change of days times, gettin football fix from sky, the fact we are ***** and constantly let the fans down. The main problem for the club is once you break the habit it's very difficult to get back in the routine, I certainly don't have the money burning a hole in my pocket or the time. Sad but true I just can't be bothered anymore and there's a few thousand just like me.

marinello59
25-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Terminal decline? I know you love sticking the boot in to the club you claim to support but that's OTT even by your standards.

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 04:47 PM

The charity thieves are irrelevant unless you want to go down the same path to hell.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Are you suggesting they are a sustainable long-term financial model?

Would sort of contradict some of your previous posts.

The point I was making and the point I would hope you would agree with is that clubs have to deal with their fanbase having less disposable income.

I think that's the biggest reason for crowds being down.

The only point I was making is that their crowds are going up and ours are falling. Money is tight for both sets of fans so I don't see that as the reason for the decline at our club.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 04:49 PM

I would suggest that people have already made up their minds long before this game. Folk that want to watch Hibs this season will do so, folk that never had any intention will just use this as yet another reason on their long list.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 04:53 PM
I would suggest that people have already made up their minds long before this game. Folk that want to watch Hibs this season will do so, folk that never had any intention will just use this as yet another reason on their long list.

Its a shame that people have a long list. :-(

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 04:53 PM
To look at today's crowd and try and use it as evidence of a "long term problem" is beyond negative.
Exactly Peter. It was a game in a cup that no one really cares about, and season tickets weren't valid. Our league attendances will tell us where we are regarding numbers.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Its a shame that people have a long list. :-(

Some folk always will, other folk rip up old lists and start a fresh.

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 04:58 PM

Results like today's are NOT going to get former supporters back to ER, whether it's a crap cup or not.
Some people will never be happy though. I can't understand why fans need an excuse to go back. We've always been ***** ever since I first went to see them 30 years ago. If people are waiting for the good times they better be patient.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Some people will never be happy though. I can't understand why fans need an excuse to go back. We've always been ***** ever since I first went to see them 30 years ago. If people are waiting for the good times they better be patient.

Yep me too, my attendance is not governed by performance or success.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Hardly ...... FFS we had 5 players missing and our best player on the bench with his head turned to mince, add to that Malonga going off to be replaced by a raw teenager after half an hour and its not exactly the game to justify that level of panic. Terminal decline my arse.

This is my positive take on today. :agree:

A pre-season friendly for me.

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 05:03 PM

Is it the pies? :wink:

Onion
25-07-2015, 05:06 PM

I'm surprised it was that high TBH. Meaningless cup, horrible opposition, sick fans, Hibs on the back foot again pre-season. Hibs badly need a few pieces of good news to pick things up again.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Is it the pies? :wink:

Nope it'sit's the banter :-)

emerald green
25-07-2015, 05:08 PM
I obviously wasn't happy with the score but my point was your texter is probably a lost cause irrespective of what happened.

I can't imagine any Hibs fan whatsoever would be cheering on hearing todays result but if that was the sole reason for not returning to Easter Road then they are probably right in staying away.

Nope, definitely not a lost cause. I know he would very likely come back to ER if Hibs were to, say, go on a winning run and ultimately win promotion. Might not buy a season ticket, but would turn up at more games and PATG.

Basically, get an attractive winning team on the pitch that can compete again at Premiership level. Judging by today, that's still a long way off sadly.

See above.

Alfred E Newman
25-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Exactly Peter. It was a game in a cup that no one really cares about, and season tickets weren't valid. Our league attendances will tell us where we are regarding numbers.

As it was a cup tie, cup top ups were valid.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Nope, definitely not a lost cause. I know he would very likely come back to ER if Hibs were to, say, go on a winning run and ultimately win promotion. Might not buy a season ticket, but would turn up at more games and PATG.

Basically, get an attractive winning team on the pitch that can compete again at Premiership level. Judging by today, that's still a long way off sadly.

See above.

Ifs, buts and maybes, my point still stands.

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 05:16 PM
As it was a cup tie, cup top ups were valid.
But most don't have a cup top up

25-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm a ST holder but wasn't there today. I was working and normally I'd have been gutted at missing the game but tbh I really didn't give a **** about going. Yes it was against the huns but, in my mind anyway, no more than just another pre-season game. I suspect many others shared my disinterest in the petrofac cup hense the lower than normal turn out. Plus, it is July, many people are still away on holiday or skint after a holiday.

Poor attendance but wouldn't look to much into it for this game.

Alex Trager
25-07-2015, 05:39 PM
I can safely say the reason I was not there, thankfully in retrospect, is because I am abroad.

I can imagine this is applicable to others too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I can safely say the reason I was not there, thankfully in retrospect, is because I am abroad.

I can imagine this is applicable to others too

Well my friend your going to have to organise your holidays for the close season in future :greengrin

Pretty Boy
25-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Likewise.

If it was I'd probably have been in attendance for about 4 seasons out of my 29 years on the planet.

Alex Trager
25-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Well my friend your going to have to organise your holidays for the close season in future : greengrin

I still have over a week in Asia to go.
As far as I see it. You guys have to go to work etc whilst I get to wallow. In peace ;)

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Likewise.

If it was I'd probably have been in attendance for about 4 seasons out of my 29 years on the planet.

I think your exaggerating with 4 :greengrin

IberianHibernian
25-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Every time there`s a thread about low crowds, missing thousands etc I wonder what time people are comparing present crowds with . Back in 1960s and 70s we`d get over 30000 for Derbies ( half crowd Hibbies at both grounds ) and European nights ( 20000 Hibbies and a lot of neutrals ) but since 80s with loads of football on TV , higher prices etc crowds have more or less been like today . In the time of the Tornadoes there were loads of home games with crowds of about 6000 ( open terraces didn`t help ) . In last 15 years crowds went up with good Sauzee / Latapy team and again with Riordan / GOC etc and slowly but surely in late 2012 when team was on great run of results but increases were not massive . In short I don`t think there are as many Hibbies as we think and it would take several years of sustained success and / or much better marketing to change that . If we`d beaten Falkirk in semi we`d have sold 30000 tickets for the final probably more but many of them would have been fans of other clubs .

Baldy Foghorn
25-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Get to another Final and 20k will appear, not all that bad is it

ionahibby
25-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Terminal decline? I know you love sticking the boot in to the club you claim to support but that's OTT even by your standards.

Tbf skint hibby has a point. I gave up a season ticket 2 years ago generally due to work commitments but i still try to make most home games and a few away games. Even for me now it's come to a point where im left to go to games on my own simply because the 3 mates i used to go with have given up and despite numerous occasions trying to persuade them they ain't coming back. I suspect that is a common theme throughout Hibs supporters at the moment.

MSK
25-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Tbf skint hibby has a point. I gave up a season ticket 2 years ago generally due to work commitments but i still try to make most home games and a few away games. Even for me now it's come to a point where im left to go to games on my own simply because the 3 mates i used to go with have given up and despite numerous occasions trying to persuade them they ain't coming back. I suspect that is a common theme throughout Hibs supporters at the moment.He has a point ? What point ? We have sold over 7000 season tickets, we have a state of the art training centre, a UEFA compliant stadium, finances secure, a competitive team being built, so other than being in the championship and today's poor result at what point does terminal decline kick in ?

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 06:41 PM

Wur doomed.

IWasThere2016
25-07-2015, 06:43 PM
The only thing to get people back is consistently winning games, playing attractive football would be the iceing on the cake.

Throw in some homegrown talent and there is the only USP that matters..

Canon Hannan
25-07-2015, 06:43 PM
He has a point ? What point ? We have sold over 7000 season tickets, we have a state of the art training centre, a UEFA compliant stadium, finances secure, a competitive team being built, so other than being in the championship and today's poor result at what point does terminal decline kick in ?

Football can change quickly. Keep the faith. At least we have potential.

MSK
25-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Football can change quickly. Keep the faith. At least we have potential.Nah **** it, what's the point, let's just wallow in the doom and gloom

Baldy Foghorn
25-07-2015, 06:48 PM
He has a point ? What point ? We have sold over 7000 season tickets, we have a state of the art training centre, a UEFA compliant stadium, finances secure, a competitive team being built, so other than being in the championship and today's poor result at what point does terminal decline kick in ?

:top marks

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 06:50 PM
I know, but apart from that

bod
25-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Get to another Final and 20k will appear, not all that bad is it

only if they hand out vouchers once you've entered the ground Steven,none of this 2 or 4 per season tkt/share holder malarky,1 per person

Lago
Tbf skint hibby has a point. I gave up a season ticket 2 years ago generally due to work commitments but i still try to make most home games and a few away games. Even for me now it's come to a point where im left to go to games on my own simply because the 3 mates i used to go with have given up and despite numerous occasions trying to persuade them they ain't coming back. I suspect that is a common theme throughout Hibs supporters at the moment.
Agree, and football in general is not the draw it once was, but then its not alone golf clubs have seen a sizable drop in memberships for example.

3pm
Throw in some homegrown talent and there is the only USP that matters..

Cannae beat conditional support! :aok:

MSK
25-07-2015, 06:53 PM
I know, but apart from thatThe pies are still **** !! Now that's terminal decline !!

Greenblood70
25-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Scottish football is on its arse, has been for the past 5 or 6 years and will continue to be. I speak as a longstanding season ticket holder but frankly the standard other then the odd few players is deplorable. Most of my fellow season ticket holders these days only still go to socialise and grab a few pints with their pals.

The cost doesn't help but it's not the main reason, let's be honest it's cos we've been in terminal decline over the last half a dozen years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
25-07-2015, 07:06 PM
11000 was a poor turnout. Even the huns cheered it.

ionahibby
25-07-2015, 07:11 PM

We are in the championship for a 2nd season and have had a poor result to add to many we have had, there is your terminal decline!

emerald green
25-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Nah **** it, what's the point, let's just wallow in the doom and gloom

I can only speak for myself here, but I suspect others feel the same way.

It's not a case of wallowing in doom and gloom. Is it completely unreasonable, on a fans forum, for long suffering supporters to express their deep disappointment in such a crushing defeat, on our pitch, and the manner of that defeat?

For me personally, it was made all the worse today by the fact that I simply did not see it coming. No way did I think Hibs would be beaten today by such a scoreline, although I wasn't buying some of the ill informed garbage that The Rangers were p*** and Hibs would walk all over them. I've followed Hibs for far too long to buy any of that rubbish.

Pete
25-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Agree, and football in general is not the draw it once was, but then its not alone golf clubs have seen a sizable drop in memberships for example.

Golf or following a "crap" football team is too much effort for a lot of people nowadays. It's easier to do something that involves sitting on your arse with a remote or a control pad.

Feed McGraw
25-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Every time there`s a thread about low crowds, missing thousands etc I wonder what time people are comparing present crowds with . Back in 1960s and 70s we`d get over 30000 for Derbies ( half crowd Hibbies at both grounds ) and European nights ( 20000 Hibbies and a lot of neutrals ) but since 80s with loads of football on TV , higher prices etc crowds have more or less been like today . In the time of the Tornadoes there were loads of home games with crowds of about 6000 ( open terraces didn`t help ) . In last 15 years crowds went up with good Sauzee / Latapy team and again with Riordan / GOC etc and slowly but surely in late 2012 when team was on great run of results but increases were not massive . In short I don`t think there are as many Hibbies as we think and it would take several years of sustained success and / or much better marketing to change that . If we`d beaten Falkirk in semi we`d have sold 30000 tickets for the final probably more but many of them would have been fans of other clubs . The biggest crowds ever were when terraces were open and there was certainly not LOADS of home games of 6000 in the time of the Tornadoes. Hibs fans have been let down too many times over the years to maintain large crowds, but a winning, entertaining team, would still get many coming back and give us home crowds the envy of most Scottish clubs.

Carheenlea
25-07-2015, 08:45 PM
We don`t have as big a support as what we like to think we do. Yes, we can rustle up big numbers for Hampden days out and occasional important league games, but the numbers properly supporting the club seem to dwindling at an alarming rate.

Hiber-nation
25-07-2015, 08:50 PM
The pies are still **** !! Now that's terminal decline !!

You're telling me. I thought LD was improving the catering. Cold with nasty gristly bits in the middle....won't bother again this season!

tanfield
25-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Humiliation ? Behave yersel, today had no importance for me, I even went shopping with the wife, come the important games, the ones that I actually give a **** about then I will be there, today imo was just another bounce game 👍

This!

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 08:52 PM

See above.

So basically he doesn't want to watch Hibs until they are good again, meantime me, you and another 7000+ season ticket holders are trying like f*** to get us back to our rightful place.

What a bloody selfish approach.

When you next text him tell him he's my hero.

matty_f
25-07-2015, 08:55 PM
So basically he doesn't want to watch Hibs until they are good again, meantime me, you and another 7000+ season ticket holders are trying like f*** to get us back to our rightful place.

:top marks

Scottie
25-07-2015, 08:57 PM
We don`t have as big a support as what we like to think we do. Yes, we can rustle up big numbers for Hampden days out and occasional important league games, but the numbers properly supporting the club seem to dwindling at an alarming rate.
:agree: Money is tight for most these days and there is better ways to spend hard earned cash than on the Hibs unfortunately in most people's opinions.

Even if the prices were a fiver to get in these days we'd struggle to get 15k every other week.

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 08:57 PM
We are in the championship for a 2nd season and have had a poor result to add to many we have had, there is your terminal decline!

Are you saying there is no way back for Hibs?

Terminal means the end does it not?

emerald green
25-07-2015, 09:09 PM

It's a matter of opinion, I suppose, whether you consider someone who has/had supported Hibs for many years selfish because he/she decided he/she basically had enough disappointments watching the club he loves.

Not everyone has the same level of commitment to supporting a club as you (and dare I say me) I'm afraid. If Hibs were "good again", as you put it , Hibs would probably have more than 7,000 season ticket holders. Maybe nearer 9-10,000 IMO.

Presumably your jibe "tell him he's my hero" applies to everyone who has stopped going to ER? No need IMO.

Besides that, my point remains that results like today's do not help in getting folk back to ER. Would you not agree with that?

scoopyboy
25-07-2015, 09:25 PM
It's a matter of opinion, I suppose, whether you consider someone who has/had supported Hibs for many years selfish because he/she decided he/she basically had enough disappointments watching the club he loves.

Not everyone has the same level of commitment to supporting a club as you (and dare I say me) I'm afraid. If Hibs were "good again", as you put it , Hibs would probably have more than 7,000 season ticket holders. Maybe nearer 9-10,000 IMO.

Presumably your jibe "tell him he's my hero" applies to everyone who has stopped going to ER? No need IMO.

Besides that, my point remains that results like today's do not help in getting folk back to ER. Would you not agree with that?

You have made valid points and I take them on board.

However do these so called fans who love the club but don't attend not realise we have a better chance of improving if they all come back.

I cannot bring myself to respect so called Hibs fans who seem to delight in telling mates who still attend that we are dafties and they are the clever ones.

Hearts won't kill us with their 5-1 cup win, Rangers won't kill us with their 6-2 win today. The only ones who will kill Hibs are Hibs fans that jack it and then moan like f*** about it.

Of course results like todays do not help get people back but what can you and I do about it other than try to encourage people to go?

Alfred E Newman
:agree: Money is tight for most these days and there is better ways to spend hard earned cash than on the Hibs unfortunately in most people's opinions.

Even if the prices were a fiver to get in these days we'd struggle to get 15k every other week.

Makes you wonder how Hearts manage to shift 14000 season tickets.

Cabbage1875

For Joe Punter its not about the stadium or tickets we have sold. On the park is where it counts. It's very difficult to argue there's not a 'terminal decline' in that respect, which is the most important aspect to your normal fan.

Another embarrassing capitulation in a long line of embarrassing collapses today. Hopefully Stubbs got a fright today and we see some more incomings in the next few weeks. That squad is short for me, even with the guys out injured today.

iwasthere1972
25-07-2015, 09:27 PM
11000 was a poor turnout. Even the huns cheered it.

Thought that was pretty decent considering that it's even less important than the diddy cup.

I remember back in 2004 or thereabouts there only being about 7,500 at Easter Road for a Scottish Cup Tie against the old Rangers.

A few good results starting against Montrose and today will be quickly forgotten.

FranckSuzy
25-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Only a few weeks ago, folk were saying they weren't even bothered about this game, that it's a crap competition, we shouldn't even bother playing in it etc, but now we're in free-fall/nothing's changed/the players are *****e after one game in the Petrofac Cup, 2 full weeks before the season starts.....:confused:

emerald green
25-07-2015, 09:43 PM

However do these so called fans who love the club but don't attend not realise we have a better chance of improving if they all come back.

I cannot bring myself to respect so called Hibs fans who seem to delight in telling mates who still attend that we are dafties and they are the clever ones.

Hearts won't kill us with their 5-1 cup win, Rangers won't kill us with their 6-2 win today. The only ones who will kill Hibs are Hibs fans that jack it and then moan like f*** about it.

Of course results like todays do not help get people back but what can you and I do about it other than try to encourage people to go?

You also make valid points with which I entirely agree, especially the bit in bold. The guy we were talking about would never say those of us who still attend are dafties and he's a clever one. He genuinely hates to see Hibs lose. That's why I would never sarcastically tell him he's my hero as you previously put it. I don't think that would help to be honest.

It's a chicken and egg situation. HFC need fans to come back to give the manager & CEO money to improve the squad, but many will not come back until the squad is improved first, and the team are winning regularly and/or get out of this league.

I try to encourage lapsed fans to return when I bump into them in the street, pub, wherever. But as you and I both agree, results like today's don't help one little bit. As I posted earlier, I was stunned by what happened today. I never saw a 2-6 coming in a million years especially having taken the lead in the match. I think the Orcs were genuinely amazed too. :aok:

GreenCastle
25-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Makes you wonder how Hearts manage to shift 14000 season tickets.

Hibs would have the same amount if they had won the Scottish Cups and league like they did last season.

Success brings fans to the stadium - simple.

JollyGreenGiant
25-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Having renewed 3 season tickets again, buying shares and forking out for the kids strips etc, there was no way I was pay £35 for me and my 2 kids to go to this diddy wee cup game today - just back from holiday and skint!

£10 for kids is what put me off and no surprise to me that FF Lower was empty.

But notwithstanding that, we will be there as usual when the real games start!

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 10:22 PM

:top marks You sum up what it's like to be a hibee. Most of the time I ****in hate them, but deep down I love them. But no matter what happens I'll go with my mates and watch them. Forever.

Canon Hannan
26-07-2015, 05:07 AM

Scoopy you are a true Hibby. I mean that honestly. I can't get to games as I follow my lad every Saturday but still love the Hibs. Hibernian are lucky to have 7000 fans like your good self.

why don't the Board open the West Stand to away supporters like Celtic, Hearts and Sevco while we are struggling? That's an extra 2000 fans at £20 per game? It would also move our fans into a more compact West Stand. I would also close some of the FF corners and even the East. Keep the fans together for now until we improve.

scoopyboy
26-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Scoopy you are a true Hibby. I mean that honestly. I can't get to games as I follow my lad every Saturday but still love the Hibs. Hibernian are lucky to have 7000 fans like your good self.

why don't the Board open the West Stand to away supporters like Celtic, Hearts and Sevco while we are struggling? That's an extra 2000 fans at £20 per game? It would also move our fans into a more compact West Stand. I would also close some of the FF corners and even the East. Keep the fans together for now until we improve.

Canon, I regard myself as a true Hibby but am not claiming to be an uber fan or better than any other Hibs fan.

I am in a position whereby I can go to games, financially, time wise and work wise. Not all of us are in the same boat and I realise and appreciate that.

It's the fans (and we all know some I'm sure) who could go but choose not to and then slate the club or fellow fans for doing so that get to me sometimes.

With that in mind I would have no issue in giving visiting fans a section of the west until such times we are in a better place. When I recall my early years Hearts, Rangers and Celtic all got the away end and the south wing stand of the main stand. Rangers would have shifted the extra 2000 tickets no problem and it would have meant extra money.

bingo70
26-07-2015, 06:46 AM
I really don't enjoy it any more tbh. The reason I still go is probably a combination of blind loyalty, habit and getting some time to myself (having a young laddy is hard work!). I completely understand why folk have given up and stopped going.

I've been saying to myself the last few years I'll give it one more year, realistically though I'll keep on going until my boy is old enough to go, if once he's old enough if he's not interested I'll probably decide to call it a day then if there's not been any improvement.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-07-2015, 07:00 AM

I don't know the answer to this but if you consider the fans that followed Rangers till they went belly up then transitioned to a new team on lower divisions that might give you a competitor. As for the anthill mob over the other side of town their existence seemingly swing in the balance dependent on their attendance. Their support is also a different demographic perhaps less impacted by the financial state of the nation.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Only a few weeks ago, folk were saying they weren't even bothered about this game, that it's a crap competition, we shouldn't even bother playing in it etc, but now we're in free-fall/nothing's changed/the players are *****e after one game in the Petrofac Cup, 2 full weeks before the season starts.....:confused:

The wonders of the Internet. How many dating sites are full of people who pretend to be something their not...

bingo70
26-07-2015, 07:09 AM

It's the way we lost though, if we'd lost by a goal or two people won't have been arsed.

Conceding 6 goals to our closest rivals when we were meant to have an advantage over them at the start of the season is concerning imo

HappyHanlon
26-07-2015, 07:20 AM
We should use the Fringe to bring a few more fans in.

Why not advertise the club at Waverley or the Airport? Why not have someone selling tickets at a kiosk at top of Waverley steps? Maybe a couple of coaches to take fans down at 2:15 (gives potential punters scope to nip into club store and get scarf/strip etc...)

ER is situated about 10-15 mins walk from Waverley and is not signposted anywhere except at top of ER and heading down towards the stadium itself.

Don't know about you, but first thing I do when I go abroad is see who the local team is and where their stadium is.

Need to start building connections and we might make some new fans. Granted they'll no be at most games but they'll have boosted revenue streams for matches against Morton and Raith.

I'm_cabbaged
26-07-2015, 07:44 AM
I said it a few years ago and I'll say it again. Back in the days of the great adventure a family season ticket worked out cheaper than an adult and one child. These bairns saw some cracking football and not to mention a few trips to hampden. By the time it came to pay for themselves they were witnessing a pile of keek. I know my two were like that and found better things to do with their time. Although they've both got st's this year it's not for the football, but to go for a pint with me on a Saturday.

Forza Fred
26-07-2015, 11:15 AM

This.

It's still pre season in most people's eyes.

Mind you, the result/performance certainly doesn't help.