PDA

View Full Version : Defence

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Simply put Hanlon is never good enough, he has been a regular starter in our decline since 2007, ive never rated him. Heard someone else claim that fontaine was the best we've had since Jones, wake up, the guys playing the likes of alloa and Dumbarton, plays against half decent players today and looked in no mans land. Stevenson signing an extension never filled me with much excitement, average player who looks good in the championship. David grey is the best of the bunch but he's been nowhere near as good as he was at the start of the season. I don't understand why stubbs hasn't attempted to freshen up the defence but today imo has shown its nowhere good enough.

craigmounthibby
25-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Bill, you're no' much of a Hibby.

bigwheel
25-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Simply put Hanlon is never good enough, he has been a regular starter in our decline since 2007, ive never rated him. Heard someone else claim that fontaine was the best we've had since Jones, wake up, the guys playing the likes of alloa and Dumbarton, plays against half decent players today and looked in no mans land. Stevenson signing an extension never filled me with much excitement, average player who looks good in the championship. David grey is the best of the bunch but he's been nowhere near as good as he was at the start of the season. I don't understand why stubbs hasn't attempted to freshen up the defence but today imo has shown its nowhere good enough.

I'd have Hanlon in before Foster every day of the week...More mobile, better on the ball and quicker....

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Bill, you're no' much of a Hibby.

Aye I'm a hibby, a hibby who's just sat and watched his team getting pumped 6-2 by our biggest rivals this season. Defence was posted missing for the 2nd half

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I'd have Hanlon in before Foster every day of the week...More mobile, better on the ball and quicker....

Never mentioned Foster cause lets face it the guys out injured all the time, injured in our last competitive game of last season, injured in the first competitive game of this season

Greenworld
25-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Stubbs out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

carnoustiehibee
25-07-2015, 02:14 PM
You can't slate Hanlon and Stevenson on here Bill

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 02:15 PM

I've noticed, god knows why, the two of them are bang average and that was shown today.

bigwheel
25-07-2015, 02:17 PM

I'm a Stevenson fan, have got into many debates on here defending him. He was poor today, actually he was equally poor last week at Dunfermline. He will have to improve or else he will deservedly be out of the team...Hanlon to me had a good first half sitting in front of the defence, The were others worse than him in defensive roles today..He would be nowhere near the first I would be concerned about.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 02:21 PM
What did Hanlon do wrong today? Strong in the tackle, coming forward with the ball, good distribution. What goal was he at fault for?

Fontaine was murder today.

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 02:24 PM
What did Hanlon do wrong today? Strong in the tackle, coming forward with the ball, good distribution. What goal was he at fault for?

The defensive side our squad in general just isn't good enough

hiberactive
25-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I've noticed, god knows why, the two of them are bang average and that was shown today.

You are spot on mate,been saying for years to guys that sit next to me,we will go nowhere with guys like Hanlon and Stevenson-very ordinary players who will give goals away every other week.

Leith Green
I'm a Stevenson fan, have got into many debates on here defending him. He was poor today, actually he was equally poor last week at Dunfermline. He will have to improve or else he will deservedly be out of the team...Hanlon to me had a good first half sitting in front of the defence, The were others worse than him in defensive roles today..He would be nowhere near the first I would be concerned about.

As well as stevenson did last season, i thought we needed to improve at left back.. He is a good option to have in the squad but i felt we needed more in an attacking sense at left back this season. The goalie is simply nowhere near good enough, and i think we need better than Hanlon.. I understand our other forwards are injured but Malonga isnt good enough either

Brightside
The defensive side our squad in general just isn't good enough

But Hanlon is clearly being picked out. Explain why.

Allant1981
They werent geat today but that back 4 and keeper had one of the best stats in scotland last year, again cant defend them for todays game but over the course of a season they will again stroll the 1st division imo

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 02:27 PM

Aye strong in the tackle. Like when he booted the boy up in the air when he was going no where to concede a needless free kick. Silly mistake. They score.

He had been good up until then though I'll give you that.

He then went back in to centre half when Forster went off and was part of a collective unit that lost a further 3 goals.

Can you never accept any criticism of him? Nobody on that pitch gets pass marks when you've just had a result like that.

The_Horde
Defence were dodgy. But the midfield left them exposed

Leith Green
Oh and the ball retention of our forwards is a complete joke..!

bookert
25-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Last season the Hanlon Fontaine partnership was one of the positives for me, breaking that up to accommodate forster was a mistake. I like Stevenson but we need a left back that van defend, pity we didn't get holt from Qos

Brightside
25-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Aye strong in the tackle. Like when he booted the boy up in the air when he was going no where to concede a needless free kick away. Silly mistake. They score.

He had been good up until then though I'll give you that.

He then went back in to centre half when Forster went off and was part of a collective unit that lost a further 3 goals.

Can you never accept any criticism of him? Nobody on that pitch gets pass marks when you've just had a result like that.

Which goal was he at fault for in the 2nd half. I'd like to know for my own education.

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Sorry underscore I thought he and the whole backline combined were poor today - the midfield balance was wrong too which didn't help until Allan came on, no one keen to keep the ball.

Hanlon was at fault for the first - no doubt about it and he does it often. There was no need to trip the player, just shadow and stay touch tight. For the second the centre halves were not marking anyone - they only had one player in that box to mark. Fontaine and Hanlon seemed to lack communication today.

It was a game where everything they hit went in have to say - you get games like that. Looking back on the chances we created first half we should have been going in two goals up. Composure was lacking - and a right foot as good as his left (Stanton).

That midfield combination today will never be seen again this season either - was my main worry pre-game. We need creative players centrally and we need Boyle and Carmichael back soon as anything.......Tavernier could have smoked a cigar today and put a deck chair up second half. No one prepared to go outside him.

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Which goal was he at fault for in the 2nd half. I'd like to know for my own education.

As I said. Part of a collective unit. Paul, I understand you're hurting after today's result but please don't take the criticism all to heart. Your mate Liam wasn't any better.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 02:31 PM
As I said. Part of a collective unit. Paul, I understand you're hurting after today's result but please don't take the criticism all to heart. Your mate Liam wasn't any better.

chortle chortle. so nothing then.

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 02:32 PM

If you'd like to go back and look at my OP you'll find he isn't the only one being picked out, I picked out the back 4. You're the one who picked Hanlon out.

Hiber-nation
25-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Sorry underscore I thought he and the whole backline combined were poor today - the midfield balance was wrong too which didn't help until Allan came on, no one keen to keep the ball.

Hanlon was at fault for the first - no doubt about it and he does it often. There was no need to trip the player, just shadow and stay touch tight. For the second the centre halves were not marking anyone - they only had one player in that box to mark. Fontaine and Hanlon seemed to lack communication today.

It was a game where everything they hit went in have to say - you get games like that. Looking back on the chances we created first half we should have been going in two goals up. Composure was lacking - and a right foot as good as his left (Stanton).

That midfield combination today will never be seen again this season either - was my main worry pre-game. We need creative players centrally and we need Boyle and Carmichael back soon as anything.......Tavernier could have smoked a cigar today and put a deck chair up second half. No one prepared to go outside him.

Saved me from thinking what to say...excellent summary. I think mine would have been a bit angrier though...

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2015, 02:33 PM

He doesn't need to have made any glaring mistakes to have had a bad game. Part of a defence that lost goals that were all so avoidable

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 02:33 PM
chortle chortle. so nothing then.

You originally said he wasn't at fault for any goals. You don't seem to have commented on the needless free kick?

I'd have to see the goals all again to be honest. As I said you could probably pick out 3 or 4 individuals in each. Just not poor wee Paul eh.

GreenPJ
25-07-2015, 02:47 PM
You originally said he wasn't at fault for any goals. You don't seem to have commented on the needless free kick?

I'd have to see the goals all again to be honest. As I said you could probably pick out 3 or 4 individuals in each. Just not poor wee Paul eh.

Needless? The boy was on the edge of the box and no challenge had been put in - he tried to make a challenge and mis-timed it. If the midfielders had challenged when the ball was out left he wouldn't have needed to make it.

Fontaine and Gray were particularly poor second half and Ox chucking them in didn't help. I thought Stevenson was poor and if we hadn't been forced into 2 subs through injury might have made way. Hanlon was good in the first half in the sweeper role but was susceptible when he went back to CH but would still have said he scored higher than the other 4 at the back.

Was impressed by Fyvie and Cummings first half as well as Hanlon. Stanton does something good followed by something daft (wants too much time on the ball). Martin started well and then faded and Lewis Allan is not ready for first team yet, too be fair never saw too much to suggest he ever will, can't get a piece of paper under him when he jumps but hope I am wrong.

Pete
25-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Warburton must have put something in their water . Very slow mentally but at least they can only improve.

Franck Stanton
25-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Gave away a needless and stupid foul in an extremly dangerous position which led to their equaliser. I know that rangers still had a lot to do to score, but score they did - as a direct result from this stupid free kick. Now I am not a Hanlon basher by any stretch of the imagination [ I defy anyone to find a post from me prior to today slating him], but he should be experienced enough by now not to have conceeded that free kick.

GreenPJ
25-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Gave away a needless and stupid foul in an extremly dangerous position which led to their equaliser. I know that rangers still had a lot to do to score, but score they did - as a direct result from this stupid free kick. Now I am not a Hanlon basher by any stretch of the imagination [ I defy anyone to find a post from me prior to today slating him], but he should be experienced enough by now not to have conceeded that free kick.

The Rangers boy was on the edge of the box not having been challenged and moving towards goal - hardly a situation where you can just jockey him, for me a challenge had to be made before he got into the box, ideally it wouldn't have been mistimed.

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Needless? The boy was on the edge of the box and no challenge had been put in - he tried to make a challenge and mis-timed it. If the midfielders had challenged when the ball was out left he wouldn't have needed to make it.

Fontaine and Gray were particularly poor second half and Ox chucking them in didn't help. I thought Stevenson was poor and if we hadn't been forced into 2 subs through injury might have made way. Hanlon was good in the first half in the sweeper role but was susceptible when he went back to CH but would still have said he scored higher than the other 4 at the back.

Was impressed by Fyvie and Cummings first half as well as Hanlon. Stanton does something good followed by something daft (wants too much time on the ball). Martin started well and then faded and Lewis Allan is not ready for first team yet, too be fair never saw too much to suggest he ever will, can't get a piece of paper under him when he jumps but hope I am wrong.

Yes needless. The boy wasnt even running towards goal.

JohnM1875
25-07-2015, 02:59 PM
In general we stood off far too much today. Challenges need to be put in and pressure needs to be put on the player on the ball. They had as much time as they wanted today with us just waiting on a misplaced pass. Truly awful. Thank god it wasn't a league game.

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes needless. The boy wasnt even running towards goal. As for midfielders, that's where Hanlon was in the first half, not as a sweeper.

He was playing like a DM sitting in front of the other 2 CH's.

carnoustiehibee
25-07-2015, 03:01 PM

His positional sense in the 2nd with holt was poor, and for most of the goals in 2nd.. His distribution isn't good. He's no demanding, aggressive and gets caught out with high balls.

Teams know,playing us that even going 1 goal down they will get chances and his poor all round defending gives other teams that confidence they will score

Brightside
25-07-2015, 03:02 PM
The Rangers boy was on the edge of the box not having been challenged and moving towards goal - hardly a situation where you can just jockey him, for me a challenge had to be made before he got into the box, ideally it wouldn't have been mistimed.

Ofcourse it had to be made...but it did lead to a foul. That of course means that on here its Hanlons fault that we've been poor the last few years. Anyone watching the game today with ANY knowledge of football would struggle to pull out Paul Hanlon as one of the worst players. For me Scott Martin was the only player who had a better game than him. But i would say that as I'm Paul Hanlon!

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 03:02 PM
He was playing like a DM sitting in front of the other 2 CH's.

Yeah And I thought he did quite well there for the first half an hour. When I saw the other poster use the word 'sweeper' I originally assumed he meant as part of a back 3 but on re reading I don't think he did mean that.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 03:04 PM
His positional sense in the 2nd with holt was poor, and for most of the goals in 2nd.. His distribution isn't good. He's no demanding, aggressive and gets caught out with high balls.

Teams know,playing us that even going 1 goal down they will get chances and his poor all round defending gives other teams that confidence they will score

Complete and utter tripe.

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:04 PM

Hanlon is a ball watcher, it's been his problem since day one at Hibs, he played as a DM until Forster went off and played quite well there, maybe a position we could play him in but as a CH he's shocking at times.

jdships
25-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Defence were dodgy. But the midfield left them exposed

:agree:
I watched the game on TV and right from the start the midfield was second best .
The young lads positioning to provide first line cover for the defence just wasn't good enough
Would imagine when the injuries clear we will see a great improvement in that department
:flag:

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Ofcourse it had to be made...but it did lead to a foul. That of course means that on here its Hanlons fault that we've been poor the last few years. Anyone watching the game today with ANY knowledge of football would struggle to pull out Paul Hanlon as one of the worst players. For me Scott Martin was the only player who had a better game than him. But i would say that as I'm Paul Hanlon!

So if you criticise someone that played in the defensive midfield role and latterly at centre half, in a game where we conceded 6 at home, you have no knowledge of the game? He cleaned everything up in the first half hour but didn't do that thereafter. So clearly he contributed to the extremely poor defensive display.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Stubbs out

Are you being serious? 😂😂😂

Greenworld
25-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Are you being serious? 😂😂😂
No LoL just feel that way just now

Pete
25-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Too many balls into the box weren't dealt with. They need to be stopped at source and if they aren't we need to be sharper as a unit.

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Too many balls into the box weren't dealt with. They need to be stopped at source and if they aren't we need to be sharper as a unit.

That's the problem when you have 2 wingbacks up field out of position, we need wide men to play 4-3-3.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Hanlon is a ball watcher, it's been his problem since day one at Hibs, he played as a DM until Forster went off and played quite well there, maybe a position we could play him in but as a CH he's shocking at times.

Haha. Where is the Fontaine thread?

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:24 PM

TBH you don't need one as there is a thread that you're replying to right now that involves Fontaine, if you want to have a go at him, carry on but the whole defence was a shambles today. Fontaine was probably our best player outwith Allan last season, he rarely makes that many mistakes per game, we'll call it a blip, if it was a regular occurrence then there will be threads. Hanlon has been at the heart of a very poor defence for 4-5 years now, a ball watcher who is constantly out of position, that's why he gets it tight from me.

familyman
25-07-2015, 03:25 PM
What defence?

gaz1875
25-07-2015, 03:28 PM
So if you criticise someone that played in the defensive midfield role and latterly at centre half, in a game where we conceded 6 at home, you have no knowledge of the game? He cleaned everything up in the first half hour but didn't do that thereafter. So clearly he contributed to the extremely poor defensive display.

The whole team were culpable not just Hanlon.

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 03:32 PM
The whole team were culpable not just Hanlon.

Erm did I ever say any differently? Inwas just responding to a poster who didn't think Hanlon had done too much wrong.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 03:34 PM
TBH you don't need one as there is a thread that you're replying to right now that involves Fontaine, if you want to have a go at him, carry on but the whole defence was a shambles today. Fontaine was probably our best player outwith Allan last season, he rarely makes that many mistakes per game, we'll call it a blip, if it was a regular occurrence then there will be threads. Hanlon has been at the heart of a very poor defence for 4-5 years now, a ball watcher who is constantly out of position, that's why he gets it tight from me.

You are 100% wrong. Good day.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Erm did I ever say any differently? Inwas just responding to a poster who didn't think Hanlon had done too much wrong.

As I said outside off Martin I thought he was our best player. And others have agreed on the other thread.

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:37 PM
You are 100% wrong. Good day.

WTF if you want to have a go at Fontaine start one and stop trying to be a smart arse.

Hibeesmad
25-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Stevenson and Fontaine were off form for me today, I thought Hanlon and Gray did alright

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 03:40 PM

Losing six goals is not good. In fact its quite grim.

B.H.F.C
As I said outside off Martin I thought he was our best player. And others have agreed on the other thread.

As I said he was decent in the first half hour. And they were all equally as bad thereafter IMO.

gaz1875

Yep I know, funny I didn't think he was the worst either, but agree with you he played well first 30 minutes, the midfield stood off and encouraged The Rangers onto the defence, Hanlon of course was part of that, but in these 30 minutes he picked up most of these players breaking though. When Foster went off no one done what Hanlon had been doing. Poor defensive display from the whole midfield and defence, I thought the Cummings and L Allan tried to close their defenders coming forward so have excused them.

J-C
25-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Yep I know, funny I didn't think he was the worst either, but agree with you he played well first 30 minutes, the midfield stood off and encouraged The Rangers onto the defence, Hanlon of course was part of that, but in these 30 minutes he picked up most of these players breaking though. When Foster went off no one done what Hanlon had been doing. Poor defensive display from the whole midfield and defence, I thought the Cummings and L Allan tried to close their defenders coming forward so have excused them.

That's why we cannot play a narrow midfield with wingbacks without a holding midfielder, he's the guy that reads the game and sweeps up in front of the 2 CH's, we didn't have one when Forster went off and we collapsed.

gaz1875
25-07-2015, 03:51 PM
That's why we cannot play a narrow midfield with wingbacks without a holding midfielder, he's the guy that reads the game and sweeps up in front of the 2 CH's, we didn't have one when Forster went off and we collapsed.

Yep, also we need to use the attacking full backs, Stevenson in the first half was almost on the edge of their box unmarked most of the half, he very rarely received the ball. I kept thinking had one of our wingers Boyle or Charmichael been fit we just might have used that space.

AlbertK86
25-07-2015, 04:30 PM
I have never been a fan of Hanlon or Stevenson but thought the first half hour Paul was absolutely fantastic. His confidence took a knock once he stupidly gave the free kick away.

Then once Lewis have the ball away for their second we fell apart. Not just Paul and Lewis

All defence - in fact whole team - just seemed to capitulate and let rangers dictate play

I'm confident once we get the likes of Bartley, Farid, Keatings, Carmichael and Boyle in and hopefully McGinn and McGeoch we will be a vastly improved team.

Roxyhibee
25-07-2015, 05:00 PM
WTF if you want to have a go at Fontaine start one and stop trying to be a smart arse.

He's hardly a smart arse - more like someone clueless who can't assess an effective defender over 90 mins, over a season or over several seasons.. Wildly defensive comments accepting continuing mediocrity and our current worst ever in history position.....embarrassing really..

Ronniekirk
25-07-2015, 07:13 PM

In the after match post mortem Craig Patterson made that very point and he is a balanced commentator .

Ronniekirk
25-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Peter Houston kept telling us that last season so I would have assumed we had been working on that defensively ,but wnen our shape and confidence goes any ball into the box can result in a goal

yekimevol
25-07-2015, 07:20 PM
It was the whole team today that was the issue you defend as an entire unit, the midfield did not support the defence that is my issue. Then theres the basic bit of not giving the ball away to the opponents, far to many times today passes were over and under cooked giving the receivers massive issues even if it got to them.

Brightside
25-07-2015, 07:38 PM
He's hardly a smart arse - more like someone clueless who can't assess an effective defender over 90 mins, over a season or over several seasons.. Wildly defensive comments accepting continuing mediocrity and our current worst ever in history position.....embarrassing really..

I'll take a wee step away from the forum for a while. Far too many people commenting on things they know nothing about. Bit they all know more than any manager we've had in recent years.

carnoustiehibee
25-07-2015, 07:51 PM
I'll take a wee step away from the forum for a while. Far too many people commenting on things they know nothing about. Bit they all know more than any manager we've had in recent years.

All those successful managers?

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2015, 08:00 PM

Hanlon can do no wrong, we know this. now deflect the blame to someone else and absolve Hanlon of any of the blame in a defence that conceded 6 goals. :rolleyes:

Its time we got rid of him and Stevenson, both are just not up to taking us forward as a team. All the back 4 or 5 when Hanlon went back were pish today, both these players are a constant in why we concede SO many ****y goals.

I know this wont be popular with some, but open your bloody eyes. These 2 are still making the same mistakes they made when they first broke into the team, and these mistakes are in the bloody 2nd division now.

Thegreenside
25-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Tbf Hanlon played most of the game as a dm but all goals we conceded where poor and he is part of the defensive unit

Scottie
25-07-2015, 08:32 PM
The whole team are a bunch of none bloody tacklers that's our problem.

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 10:11 PM
The whole team are a bunch of none bloody tacklers that's our problem.

Stanton for me had an absolute howler second half - at one point, at 6-2, he won a tackle in our box.......only to be stupidly 'out muscled' seconds later.....did the hard bit, yet was so slow and weak the next.

That for me is an issue Hibs have to deal with - the strength of the youngsters - they come in and look very weak physically for pro footballers. They may be easy on the eye in their age group but for me you have to start working on their physical game, in Scotland, early - Brown, Whittaker, Thommo, even Fletch.......yes they were young and developing but they all had right good dig and strength.

Our youngsters look like they would blow away in a strong wind. I was very very surprised at how slow and weak Sam looked today as the game wore on - I was at one point embarrassed for him (sadly).

JimBHibees
25-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Hanlon can do no wrong, we know this. now deflect the blame to someone else and absolve Hanlon of any of the blame in a defence that conceded 6 goals. :rolleyes:

Its time we got rid of him and Stevenson, both are just not up to taking us forward as a team. All the back 4 or 5 when Hanlon went back were pish today, both these players are a constant in why we concede SO many ****y goals.

I know this wont be popular with some, but open your bloody eyes. These 2 are still making the same mistakes they made when they first broke into the team, and these mistakes are in the bloody 2nd division now.

Tend to agree.

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Paul Hanlon's tackle for the first was atypical of him - he doesn't think at times and he needs to really really sharpen up - Gray was covering to his right and Templeton was moving away from goal. Touch tight, no rushing in. It was a schoolboy tackle which sadly he has in his game. Hibs were comfortable up to that point. Fine margins.

Hibby 2005
25-07-2015, 10:35 PM

Seriously? He's outmuscled most games and makes mistakes.

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 10:43 PM

To be fair however, first half there were three occasions where we conceded needless corners......Gray culpable for on if I recall (and Fontaine rightly gave him pelters), Forster another (not using his other foot.......huge bug bear of mine that pros can't use either foot under pressure) and then I think Stevenson........Hanlon's only error first half was the one that led to the first. And things like that change complexions of games.

He was excellent last season but against poor opposition most weeks. In the SPL I would tend to agree, Hanlon would get found out more often than not - however today all our team were found out.

As Stubbs said, glad it was today in a comp that doesn't mean anything.

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 11:04 PM

The centre halves play as a double act. If one is poor then the other has to step up and bail the other out
Today both were brutal tbh

B.H.F.C
26-07-2015, 12:12 AM

Superb. Your patronising comments about other people having no idea about football are utterly ridiculous.

HappyHanlon
26-07-2015, 07:47 AM

Hanlon looked solid for the first 20 mins and then he made that ridiculous tackle which led to the huns equalising. He also failed to stick a tackle in for their 2nd.

However, it would be incredibly stupid to pin it all on Hanlon, the whole defence were awful

Greenworld
26-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Correct anywhere in our penalty box hanlon is very weak always has been...

easty
26-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Correct anywhere in our penalty box hanlon is very weak always has been...

That's horse ****.

Greenworld
26-07-2015, 10:16 AM
That's horse ****.
Ok he is franz Beckenbauer

bigwheel
26-07-2015, 10:20 AM

Come on now...he's much more pacey than Beckenbauer.....he's at least 70 now :wink:

mmmmhibby
26-07-2015, 10:32 AM

This 100%

flash
26-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Spot on.

emerald green
26-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Paul Hanlon's tackle for the first was atypical of him - he doesn't think at times and he needs to really really sharpen up - Gray was covering to his right and Templeton was moving away from goal. Touch tight, no rushing in. It was a schoolboy tackle which sadly he has in his game. Hibs were comfortable up to that point. Fine margins.

I think this sums it up very well IMHO especially the bit in bold. Another foot or so and Collum would have given a penalty.

As it turned out, it was practically as good as a penalty, and that equaliser turned the whole game around, aided and abetted by a pub team goal number three.

I'm not singling Hanlon out. Defensively, Hibs were a total mess yesterday.

A substitute comes on (Miller FFS) and helps himself to a further two goals.

Allant1981
26-07-2015, 11:03 AM
That's horse ****.

He does get out muscled very often, for a CH he isnt very big

Forza Fred
26-07-2015, 11:35 AM

Totally agree.

It was indeed a needless foul from an experienced defender.

I can only assume he got 'caught up in the moment" for some reason as it appeared deliberate as opposed to clumsy.

easty
26-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Good yin you.

Makes one horse **** point, backs it up with another. Genius.

the da
26-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Aye I'm a hibby, a hibby who's just sat and watched his team getting pumped 6-2 by our biggest rivals this season. Defence was posted missing for the 2nd half

You where spot on bill especially re stevenson

Aldo
26-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Hanlon played MF until Forster got injured. As a collective only Cunmings for me can be devoid of criticism IMHO!

We capitulated big time and we still haven't learnt how to play against Der Hun.

Their 2 best players were Wallace and Travenier who strolled it... Wallace once again got the freedom of ER.

No complaints from me as we were poor al l round bar Cummings.

Folk have once again picked out Hanlon & Stevenson but what about the rest??

We had at least 5 players missing from the starting line up so I would say we get right back in the horse sort to speak and do the business next week.

But for folk to pick on 2 specific players is really pathetic and predictable.

J-C
26-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Hanlon played MF until Forster got injured. As a collective only Cunmings for me can be devoid of criticism IMHO!

We capitulated big time and we still haven't learnt how to play against Der Hun.

Their 2 best players were Wallace and Travenier who strolled it... Wallace once again got the freedom of ER.

No complaints from me as we were poor al l round bar Cummings.

Folk have once again picked out Hanlon & Stevenson but what about the rest??

We had at least 5 players missing from the starting line up so I would say we get right back in the horse sort to speak and do the business next week.

But for folk to pick on 2 specific players is really pathetic and predictable.

How many games won and goals scored last season, it's not that we don't know it's the fact they've sussed us out with 4-4-2 diamond, we cannot play 4 at the back with two flying wingbacks leaving space like they did, unless we play a DM. 3-5-2 has the back 3 covering for the wingbacks allowing the midfield to be more adventurous and the wingbacks to go forward.

Hanlon was doing ok sitting just in front of the other two CH's and we looked comfortable, it all went bad when Forster went off and we reverted to 4-4-2 diamond,no DM and midfielders all over the place.

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would've worked against Rangers but we don't have the personnel right now.

Until we get a full fit team out it's gonna be a struggle, still looks like we are thin on the ground players wise, even with a couple of mids seemingly coming in, the youngdters don't look ready and we have Stanton and Harris who both seem to have stagnated.

Aldo
26-07-2015, 01:38 PM
How many games won and goals scored last season, it's not that we don't know it's the fact they've sussed us out with 4-4-2 diamond, we cannot play 4 at the back with two flying wingbacks leaving space like they did, unless we play a DM. 3-5-2 has the back 3 covering for the wingbacks allowing the midfield to be more adventurous and the wingbacks to go forward. Hanlon was doing ok sitting just in front of the other two CH's and we looked comfortable, it all went bad when Forster went off and we reverted to 4-4-2 diamond,no DM and midfielders all over the place. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would've worked against Rangers but we don't have the personnel right now. Until we get a full fit team out it's gonna be a struggle, still looks like we are thin on the ground players wise, even with a couple of mids seemingly coming in, the youngdters don't look ready and we have Stanton and Harris who both seem to have stagnated.

I know JC but in the 0-2 game and even in our 1-0 win Wallace had the freedom of ER.
I see this as a blip (big one) but definitely recoverable.

Barring his goal Stanton didn't do anything. I also thought Martin, after a steady start fell out of the game.

Not sure how far away our injured players are but the sooner they are back the better.

J-C
26-07-2015, 01:53 PM
I know JC but in the 0-2 game and even in our 1-0 win Wallace had the freedom of ER.
I see this as a blip (big one) but definitely recoverable.

Barring his goal Stanton didn't do anything. I also thought Martin, after a steady start fell out of the game.

Not sure how far away our injured players are but the sooner they are back the better.

Just listened to his after game interview, said no one will leave this squad and he's looking to add to it, maybe couple new faces next week but definitely before Aug 8th, Carmichael, Bartley and Keatings to start training next week.

Re Wallace in those games, Gray was not fit, just back from injury and TBH I thought a lot of the team looked jaded plus Rangers had a better manager who organised them batter. Wait till we get our full team out with a couple of different players in there.

Aldo
26-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Just listened to his after game interview, said no one will leave this squad and he's looking to add to it, maybe couple new faces next week but definitely before Aug 8th, Carmichael, Bartley and Keatings to start training next week. Re Wallace in those games, Gray was not fit, just back from injury and TBH I thought a lot of the team looked jaded plus Rangers had a better manager who organised them batter. Wait till we get our full team out with a couple of different players in there.

We will see re players out. I suspect a couple of the younger players might go out on loan.

I think once we get them all back the squad looks ok. Still think we are 2 MF players down and wonder if we will see a replacement in the SA mould, should he be permitted to leave??

J-C
26-07-2015, 02:02 PM
We will see re players out. I suspect a couple of the younger players might go out on loan.

I think once we get them all back the squad looks ok. Still think we are 2 MF players down and wonder if we will see a replacement in the SA mould, should he be permitted to leave??

I think he was meaning more being sold rather than loans, he sounded resolute regarding players leaving, stipulated the fact abut 3 times, to me that means Allan is staying. If we can get McGinn and McGeouch then we'd be fine midfield wise but we still need cover at the back.

B.H.F.C
26-07-2015, 02:07 PM
How many games won and goals scored last season, it's not that we don't know it's the fact they've sussed us out with 4-4-2 diamond, we cannot play 4 at the back with two flying wingbacks leaving space like they did, unless we play a DM. 3-5-2 has the back 3 covering for the wingbacks allowing the midfield to be more adventurous and the wingbacks to go forward.

Hanlon was doing ok sitting just in front of the other two CH's and we looked comfortable, it all went bad when Forster went off and we reverted to 4-4-2 diamond,no DM and midfielders all over the place.

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would've worked against Rangers but we don't have the personnel right now.

Until we get a full fit team out it's gonna be a struggle, still looks like we are thin on the ground players wise, even with a couple of mids seemingly coming in, the youngdters don't look ready and we have Stanton and Harris who both seem to have stagnated.

I've saw a few folk mention how it all went wrong when Forster went off. But we'd already managed to lose 3 goals by that point, in the space of 7 or 8 minutes.

We can talk about shape and formation and so on all day but if players give away stupid free kicks, don't follow runs, don't mark players in the middle of the six yard box then it all counts for nothing.

Aldo
26-07-2015, 02:09 PM
I think he was meaning more being sold rather than loans, he sounded resolute regarding players leaving, stipulated the fact abut 3 times, to me that means Allan is staying. If we can get McGinn and McGeouch then we'd be fine midfield wise but we still need cover at the back.

I personally think SA is leaving but heay that's me.

I would be happy with Dylan and McGinn (not seen much to comment on tho).

Another CH is a must with injuries and suspensions.

I think there will be more coming and goings between now and end of transfer window. We need them in sooner rather than later tho!

J-C
26-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I've saw a few folk mention how it all went wrong when Forster went off. But we'd already managed to lose 3 goals by that point, in the space of 7 or 8 minutes.

We can talk about shape and formation and so on all day but if players give away stupid free kicks, don't follow runs, don't mark players in the middle of the six yard box then it all counts for nothing.

You're probably right, Forster was posted missing too but I don't think it was the shape at that time, more just down to basic schoolboy errors again. We looked even worse when we went 4 at the back

Smartie
26-07-2015, 03:25 PM
I think it is missing the point to look for one person to scapegoat and point the finger at for yesterday's performance.

We'd defended quite well for about 40 minutes and the biggest criticism you could make was that we gave away a couple of cheap corners.

The capitulation that followed was unexpected, inexcusable and really pretty worrying. It would be great if we could just blame it all on Oxley, Hanlon, Fontaine or whoever but the truth is that the goalkeeper, every defender and even the midfield had a horror show defensively yesterday. It might have been excusable if it was our first friendly against a better standard of opposition but it wasn't. It was our first competitive fixture against our biggest rivals and we fell so short it was frightening.

EVERY one of them was to blame and EVERY one of them needs to buck up their ideas. Fortunately, for all they were poor I have seen all of them do much better than that individually and collectively in the past so I would hope that if they buck their ideas up they will improve.

We definitely need to bring in bodies to push them on though. No player should be allowed to be complacent, take their place in the team for granted or expect to get away with a performance like yesterday more than once in a blue moon.

bill the hibby
26-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I think it is missing the point to look for one person to scapegoat and point the finger at for yesterday's performance.

We'd defended quite well for about 40 minutes and the biggest criticism you could make was that we gave away a couple of cheap corners.

The capitulation that followed was unexpected, inexcusable and really pretty worrying. It would be great if we could just blame it all on Oxley, Hanlon, Fontaine or whoever but the truth is that the goalkeeper, every defender and even the midfield had a horror show defensively yesterday. It might have been excusable if it was our first friendly against a better standard of opposition but it wasn't. It was our first competitive fixture against our biggest rivals and we fell so short it was frightening.

EVERY one of them was to blame and EVERY one of them needs to buck up their ideas. Fortunately, for all they were poor I have seen all of them do much better than that individually and collectively in the past so I would hope that if they buck their ideas up they will improve.

We definitely need to bring in bodies to push them on though. No player should be allowed to be complacent, take their place in the team for granted or expect to get away with a performance like yesterday more than once in a blue moon.

Good post. Few more bodies to keep everyone on their toes is what's needed.

emerald green
26-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Re Wallace in those games, Gray was not fit, just back from injury and TBH I thought a lot of the team looked jaded

How can a lot of the team look (or be) jaded in what was their first competitive game of the season?

If so, that's worrying. Jaded means tired out or lacking enthusiasm after having too much of something.

J-C
26-07-2015, 07:57 PM
How can a lot of the team look (or be) jaded in what was their first competitive game of the season?

If so, that's worrying. Jaded means tired out or lacking enthusiasm after having too much of something.

Look at the post again, I was answering about the end of last seasons play off games.

emerald green
26-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Look at the post again, I was answering about the end of last seasons play off games.

My mistake, sorry. I wasn't having a dig at you BTW, just misread. :rolleyes:

J-C
26-07-2015, 08:08 PM
My mistake, sorry. I wasn't having a dig at you BTW, just misread. :rolleyes:

:aok: