PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Hibs Vs The Rangers

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure our first pick matches Rangers, sadly.

Based on one really bad performance? They also put us out of this cup last year. Granted we werent as bad that day

calmac12000
Simply not good enough, we've managed the difficult feat of making the Hun's look average! Much as people will say this was a meaningless fixture and I agree, in terms of morale it sends out a shocking signal for the season!

Heisenberg
They are so far ahead of us it's scary.

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 01:25 PM
The manager chose to resign or extend the contract of the entire backline and today they looked shambolic.

So are you saying he shouldnt have re signed them?

Forza Fred
25-07-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure our first pick matches Rangers, sadly.

Nor even more sadly does the mentality of our players.

I don't know where we go from here.....any hope of 'doing a Hearts' surely is lying wrecked on the side of the highway now.

One Day Soon
We've barely strengthened a side that finished just ahead of a shambolic Rangers that have since shed much of their overpaid huddies and comedy managers.

The injured new boys better turn out to be much better than they seem, if we have any serious ambition to fight for the title.

Exactly as predicted in the thread during last season's The Rangers v Motherwell play off.

We have: not strengthened, our best player is about to leave for our opponents or at best be unsettled for us all season, we will not get a like for like replacement for him, Rangers have strengthened, we need signings and are scrapping about for them as the season is starting and the game setting the tone for the season against what should be our main title rivals makes clear that we aren't their rivals.

Play-offs again this season for us - if all goes well.

truehibernian
The fragility of Hibs is startling, even accounting for weakened side and injuries - no leadership in midfield, first time in a long time our whole backline have had mares, each and every one of them.

Fitness levels a huge worry, Stanton in particular looks so very very weak - shame for Scott Martin, he wasn't being guided at all second half and didn't know his role.

You get games where they score from every chance - sadly this was not only a game where they were clinical, but they looked composed and strong, despite their keeper being rank and nearly gifting us three goals.

Is it a Hibs thing to tell our left footed players to not use their right foot ? Shocking that pro footballers are not able to use both in tight situations or shooting opportunities - woeful in fact.

Stubbs - you weren't even outsmarted today - their players are supremely fit. Ours are not - what have they done pre-season to have them so sluggish and injury prone ?

And Malonga needs to grow a pair - he knew he was having a bad game, shades of the derby there I think, just didn't fancy it.

Thank god that wasn't the season league opener.

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 01:27 PM
We haven't recruited any better ones.

And it's not great when not one new outfield player you have signed seems close to bring fit. That's bad recruitment so far.

As far as i know it was only boyle who was injured when signed?

Jim44
They are so far ahead of us it's scary.

If we can hold on to SA we have a chance of second place or at least a playoff spot. How we fare from there is anyone's guess. Roll on reconstruction.

RUSSELL LATAPY
All over the place in second half every attack looked like they would score.

Since90+2
25-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Fontaine and Gray yes. Stevenson, Hanlon and Oxley no.

We will see over the course of the season if Stubbs was right but the signs don't look good after today I would say.

J-C

Maybe we needed better or even stronger competition for places, no one is pushing Stevenson, Oxley is poor, and Hanlon is as bad as ever, plus Forster seems now very injury prone.

One Day Soon
Nor even more sadly does the mentality of our players.

I don't know where we go from here.....any hope of 'doing a Hearts' surely is lying wrecked on the side of the highway now.

People seriously thought we might 'do a Hearts'?

Gatecrasher
Remember when loads of folk were saying rangers are ***** and have no money? That was hilarious

fatbloke
25-07-2015, 01:29 PM
First time we've conceded 6 at home in a domestic game since 1960. Says it all.
Christ ahve just lost an argument then I didnae think we ever had 5 yes 6 no. ah well onward and upward still think we will win the league.
:flag:

steviehibsleith
25-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Paul Hanlon Lewis Stevenson with these two constants in our team this will happen. Hanlon had interest in him when he was younger but last few years nothing and has any other team ever shown interest in Stevenson what does this tell you . They are at Hibs because every other team have better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
25-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Well, the replay stopped at Gray body checking the defender implying a foul.

Well, he strayed into an offside position, and he reacted to the linesman as he turned away to celebrate, so he was definitely flagged offside, like it makes a difference.

One Day Soon
Remember when loads of folk were saying rangers are ***** and have no money? That was hilarious

Anyone contradicting that view at the end of last season was pilloried for it.

B.H.F.C
That was shambolic. Same players making the same mistakes. Our injured players would have given us more options up top but wouldn't have helped at the back.

Allant1981
Maybe we needed better or even stronger competition for places, no one is pushing Stevenson, Oxley is poor, and Hanlon is as bad as ever, plus Forster seems now very injury prone.

I agree we need another LB, oxley was poor today but wasnt anywhere near this poor last season so hopefully just a one off

number9dream
25-07-2015, 01:31 PM
embarrassing. has to be some serious positive activity in the transfer market this week. the fitness is shocking as well compared to them

'Triple sessions just encourage slow football', maybe that Dutch geezer was right...

Gatecrasher
25-07-2015, 01:32 PM

That opinion has been posted regularly throughout the summer not just last season

J-C
25-07-2015, 01:33 PM
'Triple sessions just encourage slow football', maybe that Dutch geezer was right...

Hibs looked like it was the end of a hard campaign, pre season friendlies for match fitness against smaller teams, less injuries and a confident squad.

Iain G
25-07-2015, 01:35 PM
That was a shambles, but some good signs first half, we have most of our new signings to come in and still time to strengthen the team, dont panic just yet!!!

One Day Soon
25-07-2015, 01:36 PM
That opinion has been posted regularly throughout the summer not just last season

And so it should have been.

Last season we were told that the aim was to win the league while the club's activities showed that the best they were planning for was the play offs.

I haven't heard the script for this season. Have they said they expect/are aiming to win the league yet?

jacomo
25-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Paul Hanlon Lewis Stevenson with these two constants in our team this will happen. Hanlon had interest in him when he was younger but last few years nothing and has any other team ever shown interest in Stevenson what does this tell you . They are at Hibs because every other team have better

This was pretty much the best defence in the league last term. Not panicking yet.

number9dream
I feared the worst when Allan was left out but my worst fears have been well and truly surpassed!
Atrocious all across the park. Defence shambolic, midfield faded badly after bright start. Fyvie anonymous.
I hope Bartley brings a bit of dig and physicality to the middle of the park.
Cummings maybe the only one to get pass marks? Even the normally dependable Gray went off the boil.

Pretty Boy
Maybe those of us who were branded drama queens when suggesting we were ill prepared for the season ahead weren't just looking for an excuse to be negative after all.

Huge wake up call with how far behind we are in our prep today and we're probably 6 weeks away from having a 1st choice squad up to speed. The similarities to last year are there to see.

J-C
25-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Stubbs wants to forget 3-5-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond, play 4-3-3 which can easily turn into a 4-5-1 when defending.

Oh and we need shot of Malonga, looked uninterested and couldn't wait to get off, his shot mid half from the pen spot was a joke.

truehibernian

10 minutes of madness before half time cost us the game - that and poor poor finishing.

Cummings should have buried the header. Fontaine should have scored. Malonga should have scored. Stanton should have scored hitting it with his right. First half The Rangers were not in it.

Hanlon makes a totally unnecessary tackle as he so prone to do - set piece - goal.

Oxley gets the ball, no pressure......decides to float a ball to Stevenson, who if loses it, there is no Hibs man to pick up loose ball. Rest is a culmination of Hanlon and Forster making a shambles of marking.

Third goal - deary me, basic - Oxley at fault.

Fourth, fifth and sixth, all from left side, Hibs no shape, Stanton and Stevenson switching off, not closing down.

I can take a defeat but that second half performance was simply shocking. To allow Halliday the freedom of Leith for the killer 4th was basic basic defending from a wide area.

However - trying to get a positive from this - that was a weakened Hibs side and a full strength, as it stands, The Rangers side.

We have to prevent crosses - it's such a basic thing in football, either cutting them out or anticipating and attacking them. Hibs were standofffish and sluggish.

We need to get Boyle and company match fit, quick - I'm now hugely concerned at the knocks and injuries Hibs players are picking up. To have so many get injured there has to be a reason, not just bad luck.

zitelli62
lets see how we are with a full strength team im still confident we will win the league

B.H.F.C
25-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Maybe those of us who were branded drama queens when suggesting we were ill prepared for the season ahead weren't just looking for an excuse to be negative after all.

Huge wake up call with how far behind we are in our prep today and we're probably 6 weeks away from having a 1st choice squad up to speed. The similarities to last year are there to see.

Yep. We are miles away. This whole Allan stuff hasn't helped and need resolved now.

One Day Soon
25-07-2015, 01:40 PM

That's where I was at during the Rangers/Motherwell play off last season PB. Nothing has changed except that Rangers have strengthened and improved. Our best player is now unsettled and if he is either missing or not firing on all cylinders we are then half the team we would otherwise be. We are clearly not ready for the league start and that's only two weeks away.

magpie1892
25-07-2015, 01:41 PM

But hun are *****, and they don't have any money. Hibs were just benevolent enough to make them look like Real Madrid today.

One Day Soon
lets see how we are with a full strength team im still confident we will win the league

There is absolutely no chance of that whatsoever.

J-C
This was pretty much the best defence in the league last term. Not panicking yet.

Gray and Lewis should be left to be defenders, it's what they're decent at, the wingback scenario get's them out of position and exposes the 2 ch's, when Forster went off we didn't have a DM and it showed, they opened us up at will, we need to have a flat back 4 if we play without a DM.

Smartie
25-07-2015, 01:42 PM
People seriously thought we might 'do a Hearts'?

Yep. I did.

We weren't far off last year and we've added to the squad. We've lost our way recruitment-wise in recent weeks but I thought we were on the right track. Remember that "doing a Hearts" is consistently beating the lesser teams in the league. I thought we had more than enough in our squad to be able to do that.

As it happens all of the additions to the squad are injured and our main man from last year has had his head turned.

We've been knocked out a diddy cup and we've learned that we can't expect to beat The Rangers if we play the way we play today. We've also got a long time until the transfer window closes so if we need to bring players in at least we have time (if not a great deal of money) to do it.

One Day Soon
But hun are *****, and they don't have any money. Hibs were just benevolent enough to make them look like Real Madrid today.

Good to hear from you bud. I expect the Bravehearters will probably still be pushing this line all the way to the play offs.

Franck Stanton
]It's the defence that's been the problem today[/B] and that's the one area of the team where it was all first team players.

Was really just the defence Sunny ? Yes they were terrible, a lot of unforced stupid schoolboy errors [ie Fontaine has bell left side of penalty area, no rangers man within 10 yards of him, he makes a dogs ear of his kick and passes it straight to rangers player who promptly says thanks mate, puts the ball back across goal and they score]. I would suggest that our midfield was also non-existent today, over-ran in fact, thus putting more pressure on our defence and creating nothing in an attacking sense. Apart from the first 35 min we were nothing short of abysmal all over the park.

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2015, 01:43 PM

ssshhhhhh :shhhsh!:

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Fourth, fifth and sixth, all from left side, Hibs no shape, Stanton and Stevenson switching off, not closing down.

If Stanton hadn't switched off in the last minute against Hamilton we wouldn't have been playing in this poxy league or cup.
The boy is just not good enough and needs moved on.

PeeJay
25-07-2015, 01:45 PM
The simple truth is we are a poorly run and poorly managed club with lots of "average" players who lack basic skills ... having watched "highlights" of our friendlies and their friendlies, nothing surprises me about this result.

One Day Soon
25-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Yep. I did.

We weren't far off last year and we've added to the squad. We've lost our way recruitment-wise in recent weeks but I thought we were on the right track. Remember that "doing a Hearts" is consistently beating the lesser teams in the league. I thought we had more than enough in our squad to be able to do that.

As it happens all of the additions to the squad are injured and our main man from last year has had his head turned.

We've been knocked out a diddy cup and we've learned that we can't expect to beat The Rangers if we play the way we play today. We've also got a long time until the transfer window closes so if we need to bring players in at least we have time (if not a great deal of money) to do it.

The league starts in two weeks. The level we should have been at by this stage today was to either beat Rangers or to at least look very fit, very confident and very dominating. We were none of these. They have had to do more rebuilding than us yet they are clearly further down the curve in terms of being ready for the new season. We were well behind Hearts last season and I think we have gone backward from there.

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 01:46 PM
The simple truth is we are a poorly run and poorly managed club with lots of "average" players who lack basic skills ... having watched "highlights" of our friendlies and their friendlies, nothing surprises me about this result.

Away and dont talk rubbish

J-C
25-07-2015, 01:47 PM
If Stanton hadn't switched off in the last minute against Hamilton we wouldn't have been playing in this poxy league or cup.
The boy is just not good enough and needs moved on.

I'm afraid you're right, these young lads have had enough chances to stake a spot but they fold when they play games like this, hopefully thr rumours of McGinn and McGeouch are true.

SkintHibby
25-07-2015, 01:47 PM

Hilarious!

bill the hibby
25-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Well well well...don't even know where to start with that, embarrassing, absolute wake up call, hope we're ready to play second fiddle once again.

PeeJay
25-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Away and dont talk rubbish

Yeah, 2-6 at home I must be misinterpreting that somehow - still, if you're happy with that great!:faf:

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Injury list now reads,

Boyle
Carmichael
Keatings
El Alagui
Forster
Malonga
Handling

Fyvie looked like he'd picked up a wee knock, Gray seemed to struggle last 20 minutes (defending).

Arguably going into the first league game weaker than last season with those lads out.

To have a third of your squad out injured is not just bad luck surely ? And first teamers too !

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Att: 11,225

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Yeah, 2-6 at home I must be misinterpreting that somehow - still, if you're happy with that great!:faf:

Where did i say i was happy with todays result?

Thecat23
25-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Injury list now reads,

Boyle
Carmichael
Keatings
El Alagui
Forster
Malonga
Handling

Fyvie looked like he'd picked up a wee knock, Gray seemed to struggle last 20 minutes (defending).

Arguably going into the first league game weaker than last season with those lads out.

To have a third of your squad out injured is not just bad luck surely ? And first teamers too !

Couldn't agree more with this!

Heisenberg
25-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Injury list now reads,

Boyle
Carmichael
Keatings
El Alagui
Forster
Malonga
Handling

Keatings will be back training next week. Carmichael not long after. It's a terrible way to be going into the season though, none of them will be match fit.

Jim44
25-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Injury list now reads,

Boyle
Carmichael
Keatings
El Alagui
Forster
Malonga
Handling

Couldn't agree more with this!

Are you saying that the recent well publicised criticism of Stubbs' training methods may have some substance?

PeeJay
25-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Where did i say i was happy with todays result?

How can you claim I'm talking rubbish on the back of that result and where we are as a team/club, and then pick me up for saying you are "happy"? I assume you disagree with me - based on what, I wonder? :confused:

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Are you saying that the recent well publicised criticism of Stubbs' training methods may have some substance?

Who knows Jim, I'm not a sports scientist - mind it's easy to run that extra yard, make that lunging tackle, have a burst of speed, when you are 2 or 3 goals up - our game last season (4-0) showed that. Nearly everything they hit they scored or indeed a man was making that extra burst to get to it. That can be a combination of things, poor play, poor positioning, not aware of who is near you.

But it's unusual to have so many out at the same time and in pre-season. Could be combining training on astro and real grass, could be weak joints and muscles........Stanton in particular (and Harris) don't look strong physically. You need upper body strength. They look spindly if that makes sense. Maybe they need less training with the football, as they have natural talent, but more on their core strength.

Looking back at the game, first half, Hibs were on the front foot, snapping into challenges and pressing - soon as the third went in they get a huge huge lift, as it's essentially 3 goals in 10 minutes they've scored.........energy and vitality is easy when you are 3-1 up with fans lapping it up. But we looked weak from 60 onwards despite getting the penalty. Again it's the age old adage - you have to concentrate after you score and we literally swiched off and failed to man mark. Defending you should always have a man to mark. Watch Stanton for the last 3 goals (and where Lewis was goodness only knows).......basic basic stuff and Stubbs will be livid with them.

It was Hibs that should have been going in 3-1 up at half time - instead it's Hibs of old and we capitulate too readily. Simple defending too that's the annoyance for me - The Rangers are not that much better, just looked sharper and fitter today for me.

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 02:14 PM
How can you claim I'm talking rubbish on the back of that result and where we are as a team/club, and then pick me for saying you are "happy"? I assume you disagree with me - based on what, I wonder? :confused:

Have a read back what you wrote, we played badly today yes but to say we are badly run etc is just garbage

PeeJay
25-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Have a read back what you wrote, we played badly today yes but to say we are badly run etc is just garbage

OK - I read it back - I reckon I'm right, results like today's and our league standing suggest I'm probably more right than you (to me anyway:greengrin) -
No doubt, we'll see at the end of the season ... I don't mind being proved wrong

Allant1981
25-07-2015, 02:20 PM
OK - I read it back - I reckon I'm right, results like today's and our league standing suggest I'm probably more right than you (to me anyway:greengrin) -
No doubt, we'll see at the end of the season ... I don't mind being proved wrong

Our league standing, we finished second last year, not to bad considering how bad a start we had and this season hasnt even started yet, again to say we are badly run and badly managed is just wrong, you are basing that on todays terrible performance/result

Franck Stanton
25-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Who knows Jim, I'm not a sports scientist - mind it's easy to run that extra yard, make that lunging tackle, have a burst of speed, when you are 2 or 3 goals up - our game last season (4-0) showed that. Nearly everything they hit they scored or indeed a man was making that extra burst to get to it. That can be a combination of things, poor play, poor positioning, not aware of who is near you.

But it's unusual to have so many out at the same time and in pre-season. Could be combining training on astro and real grass, could be weak joints and muscles........Stanton in particular (and Harris) don't look strong physically. You need upper body strength. They look spindly if that makes sense. Maybe they need less training with the football, as they have natural talent, but more on their core strength.

Looking back at the game, first half, Hibs were on the front foot, snapping into challenges and pressing - soon as the third went in they get a huge huge lift, as it's essentially 3 goals in 10 minutes they've scored.........energy and vitality is easy when you are 3-1 up with fans lapping it up. But we looked weak from 60 onwards despite getting the penalty. Again it's the age old adage - you have to concentrate after you score and we literally swiched off and failed to man mark. Defending you should always have a man to mark. Watch Stanton for the last 3 goals (and where Lewis was goodness only knows).......basic basic stuff and Stubbs will be livid with them.

It was Hibs that should have been going in 3-1 up at half time - instead it's Hibs of old and we capitulate too readily. Simple defending too that's the annoyance for me - The Rangers are not that much better, just looked sharper and fitter today for me.

Well put, would also add that not only did they look sharper and fitter [which are bad enough on their own] they also wanted it more than we did. Very disappointing to say the least.

bigwheel
25-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Well put, would also add that not only did they look sharper and fitter [which are bad enough on their own] they also wanted it more than we did. Very disappointing to say the least.

They didn't look sharper and "wanted it more" for the first 40 minutes...the must have been pinching themselves they were 2-1 up at half time...it's easy to want the ball when you are 3-1 , 5-2 up....we gave them most of these goals. No doubt they are a better team than last season. But let's keep this in perspective. They weren't that good today...not until we gifted them some goals anyway. Get a decent keeper in and I still fancy us to match them all the way.

emerald green
25-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I said at the end of last season that The Rangers would have better, younger, fitter, and stronger players this season than they had last season.

I hate to say it, but that was amply demonstrated on our ground today, and the Huns have hardly played a handful of games together yet. It didn't help that Hibs seemed to totally collapse in the second half and looked inferior to the Huns in every department. That's the real worrying thing, and yes Hibs had players missing, but 2-6 at home FFS.

I also posted last season that Hibs seemed (to me anyway) to frequently start the second half of matches very slowly. Well, nothing changed in that respect today, losing a goal in the first minute of the second half. A goal, quite frankly, which would have disgraced a Sunday pub league team.

I wonder if those folk who claimed / predicted Hibs would walk this league are having second thoughts after today? I personally don't care about this diddy competition (potentially two more injuries picked up?) but today was yet another embarrassing day for Hibernian FC and its supporters.

As far as team morale is concerned, no further comment needed. I wouldn't think this afternoon would have done much to encourage Scott Allan to stay at ER either.

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 02:36 PM
They didn't look sharper and "wanted it more" for the first 40 minutes...the must have been pinching themselves they were 2-1 up at half time...it's easy to want the ball when you are 3-1 , 5-2 up....we gave them most of these goals. No doubt they are a better team than last season. But let's keep this in perspective. They weren't that good today...not until we gifted them some goals anyway. Get a decent keeper in and I still fancy us to match them all the way.

They were solid, kept their shape, knew their jobs.

That Hibs first 11 will never be our first 11 this season - but we had no shape second half that was a concern. Fyvie didn't take control and calm things down, neither did Fontaine, your experienced pros you look to to get the team calm again.

Indeed at 3-1, had Lewis not made a pigs ear of the cut back we could have been back in it much earlier and competing again in a composed way. Killer goal, and the worst to concede for me, was the 4th. Boy Halliday had all the time in the world to take, look up, place and score. Not one midfielder pressing him - embarrassing.

After the 4th it was keep ball from The Rangers and like you say, gifted goals as the heads were down.

Franck Stanton
25-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Opinions eh, when they were 1-0 down they didn't give up the ghost, kept playing their way back into the game and went in winning 2-1 at half time. Came out in second half and showed the urgency all over the park that we should have but didn't . As soon as they equalised we seemed to go into our shell and just gave up. Now I am not saying they [rangers] are a good team, - but today they didn't have to be, IF we play like that again [hopefully we wont], against anybody, well the result will just be the same. The hibs players appeared not to have any pride in the jersey today, treated the game as a training game, and got exactly what they deserved. Just my opinion, not saying I am 100 % right but that's my take on it. Agree with you re keeper and the fact we can match up to them, just we didn't do so today.

bigwheel
25-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Opinions eh, when they were 1-0 down they didn't give up the ghost, kept playing their way back into the game and went in winning 2-1 at half time. Came out in second half and showed the urgency all over the park that we should have but didn't . As soon as they equalised we seemed to go into our shell and just gave up. Now I am not saying they [rangers] are a good team, - but today they didn't have to be, IF we play like that again [hopefully we wont], against anybody, well the result will just be the same. The hibs players appeared not to have any pride in the jersey today, treated the game as a training game, and got exactly what they deserved. Just my opinion, not saying I am 100 % right but that's my take on it. Agree with you re keeper and the fact we can match up to them, just we didn't do so today.

Can't disagree with much of that...we certainly gave away goals that would crush any chance of winning.....

hibbydog
25-07-2015, 02:42 PM

Good post.

But I can't accept a Hibs team not being as fit or as up for it as the opposition.

The minimum we should expect is 100% effort and concentration for 90 minutes, regardless of the score.

If any Hibs player doesn't have the desire for that then they know where the door is.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-07-2015, 02:46 PM
We might have been missing all our new players, but we played with a team that should know each other well from last season. They looked like they had never played together before. Awful
Rapid improvement needed ASAP. We cannot afford to be 14 points off the pace by October, like last season.

Hiber-nation
25-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Sam Stanton has a problem - you'd have thought that scoring a goal like that would have given him confidence. Instead he just disappeared. In the 2nd half if you were being harsh you could say he hid.

Dobosz83
25-07-2015, 05:14 PM

Boom. On the money, I was labelled this on Tuesday night. During the Dunfermline match day thread I thought we were poor and unfit.

Hibs were a disgrace today. Buckled to the pressure and dropped our best player. The game was over when i saw the team sheet, didn't expect a humiliation though,

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2015, 05:45 PM
The thing that was worrying me, was quite a lot of folk were talking up our chances even though i personally dont think we are as strong now as we were last season.

And they were basing this on The Rangers being weaker and having no money to spend. Well they have spent money assembling a team, and are willing to spend more.

The Rangers even on today's performance are no world beaters, but we need to improve dramatically to get anywhere near what we saw today.

Franck Stanton
25-07-2015, 05:53 PM
The thing that was worrying me, was quite a lot of folk were talking up our chances even though i personally dont think we are as strong now as we were last season.

And they were basing this on The Rangers being weaker and having no money to spend. Well they have spent money assembling a team, and are willing to spend more.

The Rangers even on today's performance are no world beaters, but we need to improve dramatically to get anywhere near what we saw today.

Have to be, it was the same players that played today [ok if you want to be pedantic with the exception of Scott Martin]

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Have to be, it was the same players that played today [ok if you want to be pedantic with the exception of Scott Martin]

Aye because we often started with Stanton and Martin in the midfield, and Allan up front for over an hour. And Scott allan was normally a sub we sent on when we were playing catchup against Sevco??

The_Horde
25-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Our first team is as strong but you're right, our depth just isn't good enough yet. It will be though.

Hibs were the better side first half. And 6-2 flattered. We'll be ready for them next time.

JimBHibees
25-07-2015, 06:14 PM
They were solid, kept their shape, knew their jobs.

That Hibs first 11 will never be our first 11 this season - but we had no shape second half that was a concern. Fyvie didn't take control and calm things down, neither did Fontaine, your experienced pros you look to to get the team calm again.

Indeed at 3-1, had Lewis not made a pigs ear of the cut back we could have been back in it much earlier and competing again in a composed way. Killer goal, and the worst to concede for me, was the 4th. Boy Halliday had all the time in the world to take, look up, place and score. Not one midfielder pressing him - embarrassing.

After the 4th it was keep ball from The Rangers and like you say, gifted goals as the heads were down.

Completely agree third and fourth goals were genuinely pub league.

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Aye because we often started with Stanton and Martin in the midfield, and Allan up front for over an hour. And Scott allan was normally a sub we sent on when we were playing catchup against Sevco??

And Hanlon in midfield

Andy74
25-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Our first team is as strong but you're right, our depth just isn't good enough yet. It will be though.

Hibs were the better side first half. And 6-2 flattered. We'll be ready for them next time.

I think we need to see how we have done replacing Robertson and McGeough before we can say our first team is just as strong.

Hannah_hfc
25-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Just reading on twitter Forster could be out for 3 weeks with hamstring injury.

I don't think I've seen an injury list like this

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
25-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I've just re-watched most of the match, that performance today was right up there with some of the shockers under Butcher, Calderwood and the likes.

We must win against Dumbarton in the league.

emerald green
25-07-2015, 07:35 PM

The bit in bold. This can't be right surely? I kept reading on this forum that The Rangers were skint and they had no money. :wink:

Since90+2
25-07-2015, 07:38 PM
The bit in bold. This can't be right surely? I kept reading on this forum that The Rangers were skint and they had no money. :wink:

They are skint (at least in comparison to their previous incarnation and their Glesga pals) but they have definitely improved on today's showing.

emerald green
25-07-2015, 07:53 PM
They are skint (at least in comparison to their previous incarnation and their Glesga pals) but they have definitely improved on today's showing.

What exactly do you mean by "skint" then?

Where has the money come from to pay for the (three year I think) contracts of a new management team, and the several players they have already signed, plus making a bid (albeit derisory) for Scott Allan. A sum Hibs amongst many other clubs can only dream about offering for a player's signature.

I cannot believe someone like Warburton, with his financial background in the City of London, would agree to take up his post knowing he possibly might not get paid! Would their new signings, and their agents, agree to sign for The Rangers if they were "skint".

I would be very surprised if they had the financial clout of Celtic, but that applies to every other team in Scotland.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2015, 07:56 PM
I didn't actually think Sevco were that great. We just collapsed.
Same problem as last year though. Didn't take our chances when we were on top.

Gatecrasher
25-07-2015, 08:00 PM

Where has the money come from to pay for the (three year I think) contracts of a new management team, and the several players they have already signed, plus making a bid (albeit derisory) for Scott Allan. A sum Hibs amongst many other clubs can only dream about offering for a player's signature.

I cannot believe someone like Warburton, with his financial background in the City of London, would agree to take up his post knowing he possibly might not get paid! Would their new signings, and their agents, agree to sign for The Rangers if they were "skint".

I would be very surprised if they had the financial clout of Celtic, but that applies to every other team in Scotland.
:agree: It's all a load of pish

Since90+2
25-07-2015, 08:01 PM

They released how many players , 10? Their wage bill is probably lower than it was last season. H

Of course they have more financial clout than us. That will always be the case , but they are shopping in a market not too far from us IMO which is lower Championship / league 1 and 2.

They never had (or have) any intention of buying Scott Allan as they would know we won't sell for anything less that around 500k and they don't have that kind of money. Their aim was to disrupt their closest rivals best player and it appear to have worked.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2015, 08:06 PM
They released how many players , 10? Their wage bill is probably lower than it was last season. H

Of course they have more financial clout than us. That will always be the case , but they are shopping in a market not too far from us IMO which is lower Championship / league 1 and 2.

They never had (or have) any intention of buying Scott Allan as they would know we won't sell for anything less that around 500k and they don't have that kind of money. Their aim was to disrupt their closest rivals best player and it appear to have worked.

How do you know this? :confused:

matty_f
25-07-2015, 08:09 PM

Possibly an educated guess given they've been signing free transfers from Wigan (AFAIK), or picking up players for nominal fees like Holt. I think if they had more money to spend then they'd likely have been spending it.

I don't know if they've got money or not, given the paltry terms they offered for Allan though, it hardly smacks of them being flush...

At a guess, I'd say they have more money than us though, even if they only used season ticket money with no other investment that would be the case.

Since90+2
25-07-2015, 08:10 PM

They offered what £175,000? They knew fine well it's miles from what we would accept and then leaked it to the press to unsettle SA. It's worked.

We will find out in the next week if they have the money or not. If they really want SA, and it would certainly be hugely popular with their fans, they will cough up a higher price and no doubt leak it out again. My guess is this won't happen.

Add to the fact Allan would be looking for a good wedge and they would want him on a lengthy contract you are probably looking at £2 million plus for the deal. We shall see.

emerald green
25-07-2015, 08:23 PM

So if their wage bill is probably lower than it was last season, how does that translate into them being skint? They have more financial clout than Hibs, but they are skint. So what does that make Hibs?

FWIW, their wage bill is probably not all that different to what it was last season I suspect, but I don't know that for a fact. I'm not party to that sort of information. I don't know what the terms of their new players contracts are for example. That's usually private & confidential. I'm not sure if they have settled with McCoist either. I heard they had been paying him ridiculous money. So again I ask what do you mean by "skint"?

I'm not so sure they would make an offer for Allan, then increase that offer once it was rejected, purely with the intention of disrupting their closest rivals best player. I think they genuinely wanted to sign Allan, and still do. The fact that it may have caused problems for Hibs is of course an added bonus for them.

I'm not defending them BTW. Disgusting, arrogant sectarian club and supporters.