PDA

View Full Version : Hibs following in Northern Ireland

Iceman1875
22-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Over in Northern Ireland for a few days with work and spotted a couple of guys in Hibs shirts in Lurgan which took me by surprise!

Do we have a big support over here?

At Easter Road we play...

Newry Hibs
22-07-2015, 12:50 PM
There's me (and my 2 sons - though they have been kind of pressganged into it).

Been over here for 10 years or so. Not seen any Hibs tops. There was a guy in the Celtc shop who said he was a Hibby.

Some people seem to know a Hibby - but not seen any evidence. Others have been to see them when in Edinburgh.

Keith_M
22-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Other than a few guys that have moved there for work/family reasons, I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of Hibbies in Nothern Ireland, or the Republic either.

Jonny1875
22-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Very little supporters in Ireland, have seen and know some Hearts supporters however and they like to tell me they are supported quite well over here. I travel over usually once or twice a season.

hibbybrian
22-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Some years back the NI Hibs Supporters held annual Tributes to the likes of Turnbull, Reilly, Stanton and Duncan, who all attended. There was a website but I think it's expired.

There is a section Irish Hibs, for NI and Republic of Ireland supporters Clubs on the Bounce

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Irish-Hibs

:flag:

Vini1875
22-07-2015, 02:41 PM
There are a few but like everywhere else it's a few rather than hundreds. There seems to be Hibbys everywhere, we do get around. I was in Glencoe the other week and the guy working the chair lift had a Hibs trackie on. I was in West Belfast last month and passed a guy wearing a Hibs top.

Lucius Apuleius
22-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Can say fir definite there is one in Antrim. 😋

Derry Hibee
22-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Meeeee :) my new away top has just arrived, so there is at least one Hibs top on the go in NI today!

Iceman1875
22-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Good to know guys! Glad I wasn't seeing things!

Jonny1875
22-07-2015, 03:39 PM
There are a few but like everywhere else it's a few rather than hundreds. There seems to be Hibbys everywhere, we do get around. I was in Glencoe the other week and the guy working the chair lift had a Hibs trackie on. I was in West Belfast last month and passed a guy wearing a Hibs top.

Could have been me, tho i dont that frequently as Celtic men bore me with their ***** talk.:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
22-07-2015, 04:00 PM
The Mr White man cometh... Perhaps the newest expat fresh off the ferry (but back for The Rangers game)

Mr White
22-07-2015, 04:49 PM
The Mr White man cometh... Perhaps the newest expat fresh off the ferry (but back for The Rangers game)

Aye I'm here on holiday for now :greengrin

Taking up residence full time shortly though in Bangor. I don't expect to meet many hibs fans over here and tbh probably won't be going out of my way to discuss scottish football with the natives!

EdinMike
22-07-2015, 04:52 PM
I know my cousin and his family in Newry are amazing Hibees. Don't know too many others on NI though...

Pretty Boy
22-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Tbh in my experience Scottish football is far less supported in NI and ROI than a lot think.

There is undoubtedly a fair few Celtic and Rangers fans and a smattering of others but I've always encountered far more Man Utd and Liverpool fans, especially amongst the younger generation, than the former. I've also found a lot of the younger generation in Belfast seem far less interested in the sectarian baggage that goes with following the former OF than their Glasgow/Scottish counterparts, maybe because it was real to them as opposed to a game based on a few vague bigoted ideals passed down from a parent.

Horse
22-07-2015, 05:38 PM
I have lived in the Newry area for around 14 years and know there are a few exiled hibbys round these parts - both my daughters aswell as a good few nieces/nephews have also been press-ganged into it! I meet other Hibbys all around Ireland from time to time but Irish folk have a strange obsession with the English Premiership (they talk of it as if they were English themselves and not as if they are talking about a foreign league!) so it's difficult to see how Scottish Football could ever compete with Man U/Liverpool for support over here. Judging by this forum we might be slowly but surely taking over Newry however!

Iggy Pope
22-07-2015, 05:48 PM
As has been confirmed elsewhere, NI Hibs were very well organised a few years back with some extraordinary functions.
I was in touch with them for a while and proudly retain my NI Hibs t-shirt (emblazoned with the dear Saint's isle).
Shame if they've lapsed.

We had a few Dublin Hibbies too and they used to frequent on here. Maybe still do. I remember them getting stick at the friendly in Cork from some locals for their affiliation. To their credit they never gave a ****. Amongst them they had a relative that had played for Hibs in the 20s. Cant remember the details. The Hi-B bar was beckoning.....some night.

HGSP.

Smartie
22-07-2015, 05:49 PM
There was a girl I went to Uni with whose brother was a Hibby.

They had no links to Scotland other than that she came over to Uni to Dundee to study.

He had never been over to see us play at that point but absolutely loved Mixu Paatelainen. I'm fairly sure he later moved to Edinburgh and came to watch us regularly.

They had grown up around the Falls Road area and he loved the passion of Scottish football but was seriously against the whole Celtic/Rangers and bigotry stuff.

They were really good folk actually, she was sound too. They had a few interesting stories about growing up around there.

Pretty tenuous links but there may be a few who have picked up on us for those reasons.

Billy Whizz
22-07-2015, 05:56 PM
You guys from over the water, keep up supporting the Hibees

majorhibs
22-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Tbh in my experience Scottish football is far less supported in NI and ROI than a lot think.

There is undoubtedly a fair few Celtic and Rangers fans and a smattering of others but I've always encountered far more Man Utd and Liverpool fans, especially amongst the younger generation, than the former. I've also found a lot of the younger generation in Belfast seem far less interested in the sectarian baggage that goes with following the former OF than their Glasgow/Scottish counterparts, maybe because it was real to them as opposed to a game based on a few vague bigoted ideals passed down from a parent.

Having just spent last 6 months while place of work was in shipyard in Belfast, I was well surprised at the lack of coverage of live in Scotland games, did have one VERY "interesting" night in only place I could find anywhere showing Scottish games, the NISB supporters club, our 2-0 victory against the new club, where they were giving it large about how much they hated these "Hibees b#*#*#*s" & I really had to sit on my hands as the goals went in, one auld guy was half onto me, but I got away wi it! But wouldnae be trying that twice.
Whatever the reasons they have for not showing Scottish Football, the fact youve got full English coverage & no general Scottish coverage is going to make any sort of interest in the Scottish game kind of like trying to persuade the locals that its an easier hike up Everest than it is up Arthurs seat. A non starter. If you stayed there would you be interested in a league you never saw, but your Man Us & Liverpools, best supported by my reckoning over there, (Belfast) were on every week?

Jonny1875
22-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Having just spent last 6 months while place of work was in shipyard in Belfast, I was well surprised at the lack of coverage of live in Scotland games, did have one VERY "interesting" night in only place I could find anywhere showing Scottish games, the NISB supporters club, our 2-0 victory against the new club, where they were giving it large about how much they hated these "Hibees b#*#*#*s" & I really had to sit on my hands as the goals went in, one auld guy was half onto me, but I got away wi it! But wouldnae be trying that twice.
Whatever the reasons they have for not showing Scottish Football, the fact youve got full English coverage & no general Scottish coverage is going to make any sort of interest in the Scottish game kind of like trying to persuade the locals that its an easier hike up Everest than it is up Arthurs seat. A non starter. If you stayed there would you be interested in a league you never saw, but your Man Us & Liverpools, best supported by my reckoning over there, (Belfast) were on every week?

Your very lucky to get out of there alive pal, well known for one section of the community here not to be welcome lets say. Scottish football is shown however its only Celtic and Rangers and obviousily you dont get many bars that are frequented from supporters of both clubs, always just one. The most recent game i watched was the Hibs and huns play off in my local and all the Celtic men acted like Hibs supporters even though they couldnt give a toss about anything to do with Scottish football apart from when Celtic play the huns or play in Europe.

Fergos
22-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Lived in both Belfast, just off the Dublin road and Dublin itself down Pearce street.

Often wore my Hibs tshirt round Dublin, it was the year of the Since 1875 logos etc.....my local was the legendary Pearce Tavern and despite being in there often and involved in many a lock in they never got the fact that I was a proud Hibee and from Edinburgh....always going on about the plastics and Glasgow....a few did know however the story behind how Celtic were formed and how we paved the way for their existence. Left them a Hibs scarve on my last night and it was still up when I was back a few years back.

There was a small band of Irish Hibees in Dublin at one point I'm sure, gathered in a pub on the north side. Not sure what happened to them!

Both great City's and People.

GGTTH

Iceman1875
22-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Lived in both Belfast, just off the Dublin road and Dublin itself down Pearce street.

Often wore my Hibs tshirt round Dublin, it was the year of the Since 1875 logos etc.....my local was the legendary Pearce Tavern and despite being in there often and involved in many a lock in they never got the fact that I was a proud Hibee and from Edinburgh....always going on about the plastics and Glasgow....a few did know however the story behind how Celtic were formed and how we paved the way for their existence. Left them a Hibs scarve on my last night and it was still up when I was back a few years back.

There was a small band of Irish Hibees in Dublin at one point I'm sure, gathered in a pub on the north side. Not sure what happened to them!

Both great City's and People.

GGTTH

Great post Mate.

Heading to Dublin in a few weeks for a weekend away, any Hibs friendly pubs I should look out for?

Ggtth

Agnes Gordon
22-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Been following Hibs from here in Belfast since 1970 and never met another local fan.
Took my moniker name from the name of the lady in the club shop many years ago who used to post me my purchases.

Daughter is now at uni in Edinburgh so great to be able to see the team again more frequently.

GGTTH