PDA

View Full Version : How ready are we?

Ozyhibby
21-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Now that pre season is done and we are about to start competitive games, how ready do people think we are?
The business we have done so far
In
Keatings
Carmichael
Ruegero
Bartley

Out
Craig
Robertson
Mcgeogh
Cerny
Dje Dje
Watson

From that I think we are weaker than we finished last season, especially given that none of the new signings are fit to play.
We will start almost the same team on sat as finished last season against Rangers with Stanton replacing Mcgeogh and probably Forster replacing Craig.
We really need these injuries to clear up or we could end up making another slow start.

Sir David Gray
21-07-2015, 11:05 PM
We certainly require at least another two signings to come in, possibly three.

Certainly not worrying about that at the moment though, considering the league season doesn't start for another two and a half weeks.

GreenCastle
21-07-2015, 11:07 PM
I'm hoping we can just get through Saturday with a win then it gives us some more time to get others back.

I would say we have 13 fit 1st team players (The 11 who played against Dunfermline plus Harris and our sub GK Ruegero) - the rest are youngsters - the games and experience has been good for them pre-season but we can't expect too much too soon.

The rest as we know are either injured, recovering from injury or not match fit (Bartley).

I have confidence in our starting 11 - but it's the plan B and impact from the bench that concerns me.

Would have been good to have kept hold of Robertson and Dylan out of those who have departed and would have felt much more prepared for Saturday.

We needed 1 or 2 before Danny got injured - with him being out till Xmas at earliest we need a minimum 2.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm assuming we are still keen on Mcgeogh but I don't think we can wait too long. We can't take the risk that it does not happen and we end up with nobody.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Looking at that, I would say we are far from ready. Very unlucky with these injuries

B.H.F.C
21-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Work to do. Not panicking yet as the transfer window is open for a month and a bit. I think we have a strong 11 in this league, but we need a stronger squad. Yes we have injuries but that will happen along with suspensions during the season.

Worried how often we will see Farid with the injury problems he has.

lord bunberry
21-07-2015, 11:38 PM
We're more ready than we were last season. I don't think we're weaker than we finished last season, the only regular starters we've lost is Robertson and McGeough. Hopefully the new signings will be fit by the time the league season starts in a couple of weeks.

Brightside
21-07-2015, 11:38 PM
So we got rid of the "dead weights" that most of the board slagged off the last two years. We have kept the players we need and want, and added. Also our young players are a year older. If you like it or not those players need to step up this year ( as and when required). If you look at the squad fully fit its very good for the league we are in. Or another 1000 could buy season tickets and we could buy other player or two?

To say we are weaker is daft.

Jim44
21-07-2015, 11:44 PM
We're probably ready to win quite a few games in the Championship, but I think we're probably vulnerable enough to lose matches we're expected to win. Do we have the strength in depth to put up a sustained challenge against a Sevco team which won't be as poor as some think they will be? In my opinion the answer's no. We could do with a few more signings, which may very well be on the cards.

greenlex
22-07-2015, 02:15 AM
We're not. Injuries have hampered pre season for the new guys. So they will be weeks behind the rest. The youngsters are not ready to step up bar maybe Crane, Martin and possibly Lewis Allan into the squad. Only saving grace I think our main rials are just as bad. I'm not fussed about the Petrofeck cup but a win against them would be nice. League cup at home we should have enough but we really need to be at it the first league game.right now we are not ready.

Forza Fred
22-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Looking at that, I would say we are far from ready. Very unlucky with these injuries

Unlucky we may be, but it seems almost traditional now that we start the season with several players injured.

May be luck, or do we need to look closer at the whole preparation/signing thing?

Seems to happen very year.

3pm
22-07-2015, 07:12 AM

It's not really IMO.

We are not as strong in midfield. You could also argue the same in defence.

Swapping Keatings for Dje Djede should make us stronger.

The_Horde
22-07-2015, 07:18 AM
After the rangers game we should be more ready, only worry I have is the new boys haven't had any game time.

Thecat23
22-07-2015, 07:23 AM
So we got rid of the "dead weights" that most of the board slagged off the last two years. We have kept the players we need and want, and added. Also our young players are a year older. If you like it or not those players need to step up this year ( as and when required). If you look at the squad fully fit its very good for the league we are in. Or another 1000 could buy season tickets and we could buy other player or two?

That's the big question, will the young lads step up? If they get Injured like Danny who is there to cover? We are weaker In midfield there is no question of that. I think we have a strong starting 11 when all are fit but if we get Injuries and suspensions I fear we may struggle. So In my opinion we are slightly weaker at this moment In time.

Pretty Boy
22-07-2015, 07:42 AM
The only one of our new signings, as in players who haven't played in a Hibs jersey before, that has had any game time is the one least likely to play regularly this season.

We have signed well, we are stronger than at this point last year and have kept important players. However we are vulnerable going into the new season. It's going to take a few weeks yet to get players up to speed and that's a worry. As a starting 11 we look decent but strength in depth is non existent as it stands.

J-C
22-07-2015, 07:45 AM
I think compared to last season we are well ahead and almost ready, we kept all majority of the team, extended a few contracts and brought in players in areas we needed strengthened, unfortunately these new players have picked up injuries pre season.

My biggest worry is Farid, he seemed to struggle with injuries at Brentford and this has carried on here, will he ever get over these injuries and could they be serious enough to end his career, not the severity of them but the fact he never seems be able to get over them enough to be fit to play.

I'm a bit worried that Cummings and Malonga haven't scored a few goals pre season, these are the games to get your shooting boots on and we seem very lightweight up top with 2 strikers injured and a young untested development player as backup.

I'd also like to know did Keatings and Carmichael pass a fitness test when fully fit, or were they signed with the small injuries and the management team were happy these injuries were not serious and would heal fairly quickly?

Are we ready, well by the looks of the squad that is fit, NO but a look at the squad in general we are still 2 short of being ready.

we are hibs
22-07-2015, 07:47 AM
If all our injured players were fit then we would be. Right now for Saturday I'd say we aren't ready.

Brightside
22-07-2015, 07:52 AM
That's the big question, will the young lads step up? If they get Injured like Danny who is there to cover? We are weaker In midfield there is no question of that. I think we have a strong starting 11 when all are fit but if we get Injuries and suspensions I fear we may struggle. So In my opinion we are slightly weaker at this moment In time.

What I don't get is people saying we need another two midfielders. Were are these players going to play when we have a fully fit squad? In midfield we have a selection of about 7 to choose from and that's before we go down to development team.

andrew70
22-07-2015, 07:52 AM

This 100%

I would say we definitely need another two players. A centre mid - really wanted Holt but now hopefully the McGeouch rumours are true.

We need defensive cover. I really don't think Keith Watson is the answer tbh.

Blaster
22-07-2015, 08:07 AM
As long as we are ready for 8 August that's the main thing. Hope we win on Saturday but if we lose won't be end of the world. We'll beat Montrose and then the real business starts

Another midfielder in before the Montrose game and Watson to sign and I would be happy with that

J-C
22-07-2015, 08:07 AM
What I don't get is people saying we need another two midfielders. Were are these players going to play when we have a fully fit squad? In midfield we have a selection of about 7 to choose from and that's before we go down to development team.

They'd be backup/rotation players, at the moment we have Stanton as the only one with experience and a youngster in Martin, it'll all depend on the system Stubbs plays, either 3 or 4 in the middle, right now I'd say a flat 4-4-2 would be our starting team shape with the players available.

Don't know where you're getting 7 midfielders, we have Allan, Fyvie, Stanton, Handing ( long term injury )Bartley and Martin. Carmichael, Boyle and Harris are all attacking wide men, that leaves us 5 midfielders to fill either 3 or 4 spaces plus cover, lets hope we don't get more injuries or suspensions.

B.H.F.C
22-07-2015, 08:10 AM

Two is maybe pushing it but we certainly need at least one.

We know Allan and Fyvie can do a job and we know what we are getting from them. The new boy has a decent pedigree. But beyond that we don't know 100% that we have players capable of doing a job. We'd be more hoping they can step up.

Keep reading about how things will look when everybody is available. But how often will everybody be available is the question. We only have 4 or 5 missing at the moments and that has us down to the bare bones. Just look at the bench at Dunfermline on Saturday. Couple injuries with suspensions throughout the season and I can't imagine there will be too often where everyone is available.

Brightside
22-07-2015, 08:24 AM
They'd be backup/rotation players, at the moment we have Stanton as the only one with experience and a youngster in Martin, it'll all depend on the system Stubbs plays, either 3 or 4 in the middle, right now I'd say a flat 4-4-2 would be our starting team shape with the players available.

Don't know where you're getting 7 midfielders, we have Allan, Fyvie, Stanton, Handing ( long term injury )Bartley and Martin. Carmichael, Boyle and Harris are all attacking wide men, that leaves us 5 midfielders to fill either 3 or 4 spaces plus cover, lets hope we don't get more injuries or suspensions.

Boyle, Harris, Carmichael ALL play in midfield (esp in a 442). I actually see Carmichael playing the no10 role for us rather than as a winger.

J-C
22-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Boyle, Harris, Carmichael ALL play in midfield (esp in a 442). I actually see Carmichael playing the no10 role for us rather than as a winger.

They're wide men though, it's in the middle we are short. We have 5 players for 3 spaces, one a young laddie from development, that gives us 4 real players, if we have any more injuries etc we'll be in trouble cover wise, getting McGeouch would certainly help.

Thecat23
22-07-2015, 08:35 AM

As I say bud our midfield is very inexperienced and Harris, Stanton and Handling haven't done it when giving their chance. So if they don't start well or get injured who comes in? We need experience in there and I'm not sure Stubbs is confident of putting in the young boys just yet.

In fact weren't they told they were free to go on loan or find a club? That to me says Stubbs doesn't think they are ready! One good thing is Harris seems to have played well in the pre season games so hopefully he kicks on from here. If not we are in trouble.

Brightside
22-07-2015, 08:42 AM
They're wide men though, it's in the middle we are short. We have 5 players for 3 spaces, one a young laddie from development, that gives us 4 real players, if we have any more injuries etc we'll be in trouble cover wise, getting McGeouch would certainly help.

I agree on that. Stubbs still trying to get him. If it doesn't happen we will see a lot of game time for Martin this season.

J-C
22-07-2015, 08:53 AM
I agree on that. Stubbs still trying to get him. If it doesn't happen we will see a lot of game time for Martin this season.

The midfield trio will be Allan, Fyvie and Bartley, with at the moment Stanton and Martin as backup, which shows we need another in, remember also that Stubbs told Stanton and Handling that they were free to go if they wished but could stay and fight if they wanted, that basically means they'll be purely backup and not considered main players, hence why we need another to give the other 3 competition.

number9dream
22-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Is Crane ready to step in at left-back? If so, Stevenson is another midfield option.

Gatecrasher
22-07-2015, 08:57 AM
I think we are a little unfortunate with injuries at the moment but I think we are more or less ready, maybe another CB.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2015, 09:03 AM
I think we are a little unfortunate with injuries at the moment but I think we are more or less ready, maybe another CB.

We don't have goals in our midfield even when everyone is fit.

Hiber-nation
22-07-2015, 09:08 AM

Didn't have goals maybe? Allan's scored 2 already in pre-season.

Definitely need 1 or 2 more in but I think folk are panicking a bit due to who we're playing on Saturday.

andrew70
22-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Is Crane ready to step in at left-back? If so, Stevenson is another midfield option.

No he's not. Having seen Crane play their for the Development team he'd be a far better option than Stevenson in midfield.

We need goals to win this league but for me we are looking too much like last year. Lots of fine, aesthetically pleasing football without a cutting edge. Hopefully S.Allan can score more from his area of the field but we need Keatings and Carmichael back to offer us that different dimension.

JimBHibees
22-07-2015, 09:12 AM
No he's not. Having seen Crane play their for the Development team he'd be a far better option than Stevenson in midfield.

We need goals to win this league but for me we are looking too much like last year. Lots of fine, aesthetically pleasing football without a cutting edge. Hopefully S.Allan can score more from his area of the field but we need Keatings and Carmichael back to offer us that different dimension.

We do still seem one paced hopefully Keatings and Carmichael improve that.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Didn't have goals maybe? Allan's scored 2 already in pre-season.

Definitely need 1 or 2 more in but I think folk are panicking a bit due to who we're playing on Saturday.

Def not about sat. This is about avoiding silly draws on a weekly basis in games where we dominate inferior opposition.
Hearts didn't win the league because of their head to head against us or Sevco. They won because they took their chances against the weaker teams in the league. We need to make sure we do the same, and right from the off this season.

lord bunberry
22-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Stanton scores goals from midfield.

J-C
22-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Stanton scores goals from midfield.

How many has he scored for the 1st team?

Hibby Bairn
22-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Season starts 8th August for me. Still 17 days away.

portyhibernian
22-07-2015, 10:17 AM
I'd say we need another defender and definitely at least one midfield player in. I'd also have offered Robertson another year. We should push for the title with the current squad anyway but 2 or 3 players out at the same time and we're toiling.

J-C
22-07-2015, 10:21 AM
I'd say we need another defender and definitely at least one midfield player in. I'd also have offered Robertson another year. We should push for the title with the current squad anyway but 2 or 3 players out at the same time and we're toiling.

We did offer Robertson a contract but on less money, he refused.

lord bunberry
22-07-2015, 10:22 AM
How many has he scored for the 1st team?
I'm not sure but he scored a few last season. Considering the amount of games he played his return was probably the best of all our midfielders.

J-C
22-07-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure but he scored a few last season. Considering the amount of games he played his return was probably the best of all our midfielders.

Sammy last season played 28 times scoring 3 goals ( 1 in the league ), the season before he played 33 games and another 3 goals ( 2 in the league ), in total he's played 64 games and scored 6 goals ( 3 in the league ), not a great return is it a goal every 10 games or so.

I hope you're not looking at the development squad as that doesn't count, it's when he plays for the main team that is important.

lord bunberry
22-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Sammy last season played 2 times scoring 3 goals ( 1 in the league ), the season before he played 33 games and another 3 goals ( 2 in the league ), in total he's played 64 games and scored 6 goals ( 3 in the league ), not a great return is it a goal every 10 games or so.

I hope you're not looking at the development squad as that doesn't count, it's when he plays for the main team that is important.
Most of his games were as a substitute last season. I agree though he isn't prolific, but he's the one player in the midfield who could get us goals. He struggled to break into what was probably the best midfield in the league last season.

Unseen work
22-07-2015, 11:47 AM
I can't believe the amount of stick Cummings and malonga are getting.

It is Cummings first full season and he was top goal scorer and scored in the majority of big games.

Makonga banged in a fair few and was away the the Africa cup of nations.

If they scored with 90% of there chances they wouldn't play in this league.

People really need to realise what league we are in.

J-C
22-07-2015, 12:01 PM
I can't believe the amount of stick Cummings and malonga are getting.

It is Cummings first full season and he was top goal scorer and scored in the majority of big games.

Makonga banged in a fair few and was away the the Africa cup of nations.

If they scored with 90% of there chances they wouldn't play in this league.

People really need to realise what league we are in.

Nobody's having a go but even though they scored a good few goals, they could've scored a lot more, also they had no competition for places and at times their play was a bit inconsistent, which was seen when Malonga came back from Africa, he only perked up when Farid returned to action and he was dropped fro the team. We are desperate for proper width and guile to open up stubborn teams, something we struggled to do quite a few times last season.

NAE NOOKIE
22-07-2015, 01:48 PM
We are way off being as ready as we could have been. When nearly half of our possible stating 11 have had no game time and some of them haven't even played together that's not good preparation. Add to that the fact that we need cover at left back, another good midfield player and probably cover for central defence and we are not where we would want to be by this stage I'm guessing.

Ronniekirk
22-07-2015, 03:48 PM

Allan is looking to score more and will be given licence to shoot more often and Fyfie got two last season so with a full pre season behind him I see no reason why he wouldn't score more
bartlely is a big lad so hopefully may get on the end of headers and chip in and if we have one more midfielder to bring in hopefully it will also be someone who can chip in Stanton if played has shown he is capable but just needs to produce the goods when he gets his chances Boyle if he recaptures form of last few games would be an asset and he has shown he can play a variety of positions for us Carmichael I have not seen a lot of so remains to be seen where he will fit in
We then up front have Farid and Keating's to return to add firepower to two of last seasons top scorers in this league
Maybe I am missing something but I am excited about this season more so than I was at the start of last season
Lewis could well get five pllus goals and great Fontaine and hanlon will all get a couple each so we have goals in this team no question
How we break teams down if they come to Easter Road to defend is still something we need to prove we can now deal with