PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Ferguson

DH1875
21-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Getting a testimonial this season against Villarreal. Erm....why?

Geo_1875
21-07-2015, 10:09 AM

Is he still playing?

Scouse Hibee
21-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Surely the money is going to charity?

sbell1875
21-07-2015, 10:18 AM
I see Wayne Rooney has agreed to play.

Interesting to see the response he gets from the Everton fans (assuming it is them he'll be playing for).

DH1875
21-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Surely the money is going to charity?

No idea about that. I was just wondering why he was getting one. Though he gave up playing years ago and must be well into his 40s. I know he's been on their coaching staff for a while, but a testimonial?
Wayne Rooney is playing for Everton in the game so it should draw a decent crowd IMO.

Scouse Hibee
21-07-2015, 10:36 AM
I see Wayne Rooney has agreed to play.

Interesting to see the response he gets from the Everton fans (assuming it is them he'll be playing for).

Pretty mixed going by some of the responses on local paper social media sites.

Future17
21-07-2015, 10:37 AM
No idea about that. I was just wondering why he was getting one. Though he gave up playing years ago and must be well into his 40s. I know he's been on their coaching staff for a while, but a testimonial?
Wayne Rooney is playing for Everton in the game so it should draw a decent crowd IMO.

I believe the suggestion is that he should have got one at the time he stopped playing but didn't, so they're making up for it now. I think he may still be coaching at the club.

He's a cult hero to some Everton fans (including Rooney) which probably sums them up as I reckon most people just think he's a ****.

Greencore
21-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Loved big Dunc when he played for Everton. Apart from Liverpool and Grimsby I have family connections with Everton. Wonder if Stubbs will be keeping an eye on the game.

DH1875
21-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Did he play 10 yeas at Everton?

Steve-O
21-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Did he play 10 yeas at Everton?

Yes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Ferguson

Steve-O
21-07-2015, 10:54 AM
No, 6 but then how hard is it to google like I did.

Obviously quite hard since you missed his first spell of 4 years there :wink:

J-C
21-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Obviously quite hard since you missed his first spell of 4 years there :wink:

Haha yep, I just noticed that and deleted, forgot about his 1st spell there.

Biggie
21-07-2015, 11:41 AM
awe JC :doh:

Big L
21-07-2015, 12:36 PM
The most expensive player ever based on minutes actually played, he must have cost Newcastle £500k a game! Testimonial my A..e!!

easty
21-07-2015, 12:58 PM
He's a cult hero to some Everton fans (including Rooney) which probably sums them up as I reckon most people just think he's a ****.

I'm no Everton fan, but I think he's class.

duncs
21-07-2015, 01:01 PM
I happen to be down that neck of the woods, so I'll be attending.

Well worth reading Alan Patullo's In Search of Duncan Ferguson book that came out last year, it's very good.

Future17
21-07-2015, 01:41 PM

Each to their own I suppose. I could (almost) be persuaded that there was a case for him being a legitimate cult hero, as he could certainly be compelling to watch at times, but his off-field behaviour pushed it too far me.

I'm all for the appeal of a flawed genius but 4 convictions for assault (and the circumstances which led to them) is no brand of class in my book.

emerald green
21-07-2015, 06:36 PM

Yea "Duncan Disorderly" is real "class". He's got a great record...

"Big Dunc" made himself unavailable for selection for his national team due to a dispute with the SFA.

Nine red cards during his playing career, and a three month prison sentence following an on-field assault (head butt) on John McStay of Raith Rovers while playing for the Huns.

He's had four convictions for assault, including the most famous one mentioned above. He was always good with "headers" was "Big Dunc".

Scouse Hibee
21-07-2015, 07:14 PM
I loved the story about the guy that broke into his house and was leathered by the big fella when he caught him.

Hibby Bairn
21-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Very highly thought of as a coach.

lord bunberry
21-07-2015, 07:32 PM
I loved the story about the guy that broke into his house and was leathered by the big fella when he caught him.
I remember that as well. I always had the image in my head of big Dunc charging down the stairs thinking I can hit this **** and not get done for it.

stoneyburn hibs
21-07-2015, 07:39 PM

I could be wrong but I think it was more than one he skelped.

Scouse Hibee
21-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I could be wrong but I think it was more than one he skelped.

The boy was a junkie and tried to hit Ferguson with a vodka bottle, spent two days in hospital afterwards and tried to get him done for assault, the Police rightly so wouldn't entertain his claims.

stoneyburn hibs
21-07-2015, 07:48 PM
The boy was a junkie and tried to hit Ferguson with a vodka bottle, spent two days in hospital afterwards and tried to get him done for assault, the Police rightly so wouldn't entertain his claims.

Cheers, I think I must be watching too many movies. 😃