View Full Version : Best bits of business...

20-07-2015, 06:26 PM
The 'biggest transfer' thread got me thinking.
Aside from home grown players, what were the best bits of business we've done in terms of buying a player and then selling? I'm possibly not doing very well but all I really come up with are Stokes, De La Cruz, Jones and Sproule.
Who did we do really well with? It's an area I think other teams have done way better with than us - is that just me remembering badly or is there a truth in it?

Bobo
20-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Darren Jackson.

20-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Leeann Dempster

20-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Has to be James Collins for me.

20-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Pat McGinlay. Got him for a wage. Came back to us he was still Celtcs top scorer for about another three months :greengrin

20-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Andy Goram
Pat McGinlay
Gordon Durie

20-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Do we have to have paid a fee for them to count?

David Murphy was free and was sold for 1.5m.

Lee
20-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Andy Goram (cost around 200k from memory and sold for 1m).

Sure we got decent profit from David Murphy too (although worth more!)

Paul Wright deserves an honourable mention too - was his fee that helped fund the Keith Wright fee if I remember rightly?

20-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Sol bamba?

20-07-2015, 07:10 PM
De la cruz not quite sure how we managed to get £2mill for him

MKHIBEE
20-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Colin Stein?

20-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Has to be Scot Brown.

Will start reading threads properly.

20-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Has to be Scot Brown.

Will start reading threads properly.

Was gonna be my choice. Got great service from him and a far better deal out of the transfer than Celtic IMO.

20-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Big Ulrik Laursen. Free transfer and sold him for over a million!

20-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Was gonna be my choice. Got great service from him and a far better deal out of the transfer than Celtic IMO.

What, still?

Great deal for us (and Scott) but he's been at Celtc 8 years now, club captain etc. He didn't have a great start under Strachan but I think they've been pretty happy with him since.

20-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Andy Goram
Ulrich Laarson
Didier Agathe

20-07-2015, 08:46 PM
What, still?

Great deal for us (and Scott) but he's been at Celtc 8 years now, club captain etc. He didn't have a great start under Strachan but I think they've been pretty happy with him since.

I'm by no means implying that he's been a bad signing, not at all - he took a long time to get going, but has been a good player, and a good captain, for them for a long time now.

However, I think we got the better end of the deal. They paid a lot of money for him, a great deal of that being on potential - and I don't think that potential has been fully realised.

Purple & Green
20-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned getting cash for Brian Hamilton

20-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Michael O'Neil £500k

20-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned getting cash for Brian Hamilton

Free transfer for Brian 'I'd rather lick stamps' Hamilton to Hearts

20-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Darren Jackson.

Aye, £400k out and £1.25m in from the hoops...decent business

Purple & Green
20-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Free transfer for Brian 'I'd rather lick stamps' Hamilton to Hearts

According to the herald it was 260k plus vat - winning!

20-07-2015, 10:34 PM
One of the best bits of business was the signing of Crunchie. Loved watching him play... Followed by the worst bit of business in swapping him for David Elliot!! Cheers Duffy!! :greengrin

20-07-2015, 10:41 PM
One of the best bits of business was the signing of Crunchie. Loved watching him play... Followed by the worst bit of business in swapping him for David Elliot!! Cheers Duffy!! :greengrin

Was worse than a swap! We got £25K for Crunchie and paid £100K for Elliott.

20-07-2015, 10:43 PM

He was utter pish. Nae wonder we got relegated.

20-07-2015, 10:46 PM

I thought there was a fee involved... For some reason just thought it was a straight swap. Jeezo that's even worse!!! Cheers Duffy!! :idiot:

20-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Andy Goram
Ulrich Laarson
Didier Agathe

How much did we get for Agathe as I don't think we got anything for him from Celtic?

20-07-2015, 11:47 PM
How much did we get for Agathe as I don't think we got anything for him from Celtic?

I thought we got 50K for him... Might be wrong.

20-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Made a bit of profit on Isaiah Osbourne

Whataball
21-07-2015, 12:23 AM
The 'biggest transfer' thread got me thinking.
Aside from home grown players, what were the best bits of business we've done in terms of buying a player and then selling? I'm possibly not doing very well but all I really come up with are Stokes, De La Cruz, Jones and Sproule.
Who did we do really well with? It's an area I think other teams have done way better with than us - is that just me remembering badly or is there a truth in it?

Doesn't fit on selling bit I don't think but Steve Archibald for me.

21-07-2015, 02:14 AM
Rudge?

21-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Pat McGinlay. Got him for a wage. Came back to us he was still Celtcs top scorer for about another three months :greengrin

IP, spoke to Pat's wife when he came back to us up at Dundee Utd and she said it was a mistake him going to Celtic. Said Her daughter was ellergic to peanuts ( if I remember correctly ) and that since joining Celtic she ( daughter ) had been offered peanuts, by total strangers. She said Pat attitude was that enough's enough and walked in to Celtic Park and asked for transfer and Celtic excepted his reasons and he came back to us.

21-07-2015, 08:45 AM
IP, spoke to Pat's wife when he came back to us up at Dundee Utd and she said it was a mistake him going to Celtic. Said Her daughter was ellergic to peanuts ( if I remember correctly ) and that since joining Celtic she ( daughter ) had been offered peanuts, by total strangers. She said Pat attitude was that enough's enough and walked in to Celtic Park and asked for transfer and Celtic excepted his reasons and he came back to us.

So we literally got him for peanuts?! :greengrin

21-07-2015, 08:47 AM
So we literally got him for peanuts?! :greengrin

Boom boom!

21-07-2015, 08:50 AM

How were the Stranger's to know his daughter had an allergy? Where they not just being friendly in a weegie sort of way?

Walter
21-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Who was the Dutch centre half who came in scored a couple of ogs and was then sold to west brom?

21-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Who was the Dutch centre half who came in scored a couple of ogs and was then sold to west brom?

Shelton Martis

21-07-2015, 08:58 AM

He was only with us for three months.

21-07-2015, 09:12 AM
How were the Stranger's to know his daughter had an allergy? Where they not just being friendly in a weegie sort of way?

Really not sure about how strangers knew, however as for being friendly they obviously are in their own sort of way lol.

One thing she ( pats Mrs ) did hint at was Hibs bought him back for the same price Celtic paid for him. Again not sure how much truth in the price we paid for him. But there was genuine disgust about the way her daughter was treated.

21-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Really not sure about how strangers knew, however as for being friendly they obviously are in their own sort of way lol.

One thing she ( pats Mrs ) did hint at was Hibs bought him back for the same price Celtic paid for him. Again not sure how much truth in the price we paid for him. But there was genuine disgust about the way her daughter was treated.

Celtc paid 520k and Hibs paid 420k to get him back.

Pat alway tried to explain signing for Celtc as being his missus' idea, as she had always been a Celtc Fan and was desperate for him to sign for her favourites. I never believed that as I thought he was probably just a bit worried what Hibs Fans might think if he admitted that he had signed for his boyhood heroes. TBH, I can't imagine it would have bothered most Hibbies, as he was a great servant to Hibs