PDA

View Full Version : The Harris 'penalty' incident

matty_f
18-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I thought Harris was clearly pulled back and should have had a penalty. Harris stayed on his feet and the ref have nothing, and this is one of the main reasons players go down at the slightest touch.
Referees need to recognise and give fouls when players try to stay on their feet. When they don't they only add to the diving problem that football has, IMHO.

Baldy Foghorn
18-07-2015, 08:03 PM
I thought Harris was clearly pulled back and should have had a penalty. Harris stayed on his feet and the ref have nothing, and this is one of the main reasons players go down at the slightest touch.
Referees need to recognise and give fouls when players try to stay on their feet. When they don't they only add to the diving problem that football has, IMHO.

Definitely a pen Matty.....

sbell1875
18-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Right in front of me, stick-on pen.

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Ref seemed in good position too! Anywhere else on the pitch and it's a clear foul

Boyle89
18-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Think the ref knew it was a pen but after already having given a red card he wasn't going to give a pen aswell.

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Think the ref knew it was a pen but after already having given a red card he wasn't going to give a pen aswell.

That crossed my mind. Happens regularly when a referee puts conscience before laws of the game.

Shocking decision (regardless if only a friendly)

These guys get paid very well

greenlex
18-07-2015, 08:23 PM
There was a clear handball pen incident too. Gave it the other way!!!!! Also the ball was clearly over the line for a goal. Two games in an poor decisions already.

Carheenlea
18-07-2015, 08:29 PM
I wasn`t there today so didn`t see the incident, but the point the OP makes is a good one.

The only way you are going to get a penalty is if you go down, and we see on a weekly basis players going down at the slightest of touches in order to claim them. You can make contact and not commit a foul as such, but in situations like appears to have happened today, if penalty's are awarded when a clear infringement has occurred but the player has still remained on his feet, and referees award a penalty, it may go some way in discouraging players from throwing themselves to the floor at any given opportunity.

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2015, 08:41 PM
I wasn`t there today so didn`t see the incident, but the point the OP makes is a good one.

The only way you are going to get a penalty is if you go down, and we see on a weekly basis players going down at the slightest of touches in order to claim them. You can make contact and not commit a foul as such, but in situations like appears to have happened today, if penalty's are awarded when a clear infringement has occurred but the player has still remained on his feet, and referees award a penalty, it may go some way in discouraging players from throwing themselves to the floor at any given opportunity.

Agreed.

It was so obvious it wasn't rue. Kudos to Harris for now making a meal of it. He had every right to fall down/go mental at referee.

What gets me is that the ref/lino must've seen it. (If a player runs towards goal then is pulled back it's obvious)

Harris didn't dive, or make a meal...

Technology needed for me. Some dude/dudette watching that on a monitor would've seen it easy.

Craig_HFC
18-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Stonewaller. Ref had a 'mare overall.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

jabis
18-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Anyone got any footage off the game?

Mikey09
18-07-2015, 11:08 PM

Was working today and watched my local amateur side play. Boy went into the box, skipped past one defender who clipped him, boy tried to stay on his feet but other defender came over and cleared the danger... Ref pulled it back and gave a penalty much to the disgust of the defenders and there "so called" coaches. Great decision. If an amateur ref can do it with no assistants how can't a grade 1 official??

Sprouleflyer
19-07-2015, 07:01 AM

:agree: Allan's booking being the prime example of a player going down with the slightest touch.

Speedy
19-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Was working today and watched my local amateur side play. Boy went into the box, skipped past one defender who clipped him, boy tried to stay on his feet but other defender came over and cleared the danger... Ref pulled it back and gave a penalty much to the disgust of the defenders and there "so called" coaches. Great decision. If an amateur ref can do it with no assistants how can't a grade 1 official??

This is absolutely required to have any chance of stopping diving.