PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris & Sam Stanton

DownInAlbion
18-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Both players getting game time today, really hope the rumors of these two leaving are just rumors as I think they could both be big players for us this season. Would love to know how they both played today?

:gwa:

jacomo
18-07-2015, 03:39 PM
AFAIK Stubbs has said nothing about Harris this summer, but other posters are assuming he's been told he's free to find another club.

I remain hopeful these 2 plus Handling have a future with us.

Golden Bear
18-07-2015, 04:00 PM
I heard today that young Harris didn't exactly set the heather on fire at Dundee after a fairly promising start.

It's mainly a self confidence thing with him but he needs to grasp the nettle --------------- and soon.

Boyle89
18-07-2015, 04:09 PM
The game passed stanton by pretty much. Harris didn't get much time on the ball but had a lovely move to get away from the defender but let him get back and tackle him. Nothing else of note from them today really.

Ozyhibby
18-07-2015, 04:24 PM
The game passed stanton by pretty much. Harris didn't get much time on the ball but had a lovely move to get away from the defender but let him get back and tackle him. Nothing else of note from them today really.

It pretty much sums up both players though. They need to start making a difference in games.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2015, 04:27 PM
If they can't impose themselves on games soon they don't deserve a place. Too old to be passengers now.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

J-C
18-07-2015, 04:33 PM
If they can't impose themselves on games soon they don't deserve a place. Too old to be passengers now.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

All goes back to Bil Hendry and James McDonaugh when it was said that although the boys coming through were technically sound they were not ready both physically and mentally, as opposed to the Hearts lads who proved that at the same age they were ahead of ours.

lucky
18-07-2015, 04:39 PM

He was pulled back, it should have been a pen. Overall he showed a few nice touches.

Stanton was one three players who got 90 minutes played ok without shinning

GreenCastle
18-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Stanton I thought did ok - few good runs and can look dangerous.

Problem is he's in the middle with Allan and Fyvie who are better than him and always want the ball - want to be the main players!

I wouldn't get rid of either but like the other younger players - it would be good to see some impact of some sort and affecting games.

Boyle89
18-07-2015, 04:56 PM
He was pulled back, it should have been a pen. Overall he showed a few nice touches.

Stanton was one three players who got 90 minutes played ok without shinning
Couldn't see that far cause I was in the norrie (I have pars friends).

lord bunberry
18-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Stanton is a classy football player who hasn't played that many games, I'd be really surprised if he didn't become a first team regular.

Hibby70
18-07-2015, 05:10 PM
I thought Harris did well in the time he was on. Looked eager to beat his man. Seemed a bit more confident.

Franck Stanton
18-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Thought Harris looked hungry for the ball, eager to take his man on, beating him on most occassions, def penalty, happened right in front of me, Stevie Wonder would have seen it ffs but that idiot ref was only person in the stadium that couldn't/didn't see it. Nutter. Even booked Scott Allen for going down under a challenge in the box saying it was a dive, aye, right. Thought up until we made the mass substitutions we controlled the game, Dunfermline gave us a better work-out than B'Rangers on Tue. Enjoyable game considering it was a pre-season friendly.

Smartie
18-07-2015, 05:38 PM
I also thought Harris had a good game. Looked far more like the player that initially broke into the team, wanted to use his pace and run at players. He had a few decent corners too.

He was definitely pulled back and it was a lovely bit of skill from him to beat the defender in the first place. I thought he'd forgotten how to do that. I've been critical of Harris but he looked the part today.

Stanton was fine but didn't stand out.

Green Fish
18-07-2015, 05:46 PM
I also thought Harris had a good game. Looked far more like the player that initially broke into the team, wanted to use his pace and run at players. He had a few decent corners too.

He was definitely pulled back and it was a lovely bit of skill from him to beat the defender in the first place. I thought he'd forgotten how to do that. I've been critical of Harris but he looked the part today.

Stanton was fine but didn't stand out.

Totally agree, Stanton missed a trick today.

sbell1875
18-07-2015, 08:12 PM
I said to my pal today if we can get a full season of Allan & Fyvie fit and regularly playing together we'll be a tough team to beat.

silverhibee
18-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Harris done well in the time he got today.

Forza Fred
18-07-2015, 11:31 PM
I said to my pal today if we can get a full season of Allan & Fyvie fit and regularly playing together we'll be a tough team to beat.

Problem as we know though, is we can't guarantee their continuing fitness.

On injuries, how come once again kick off to the season approaches and we won't be able to field our best 11 due to injuries.

I understand injuries picked up just prior to kick off, but it's not as if we don't know well in advance when the season starts.

If we are to make a fair dinkum challenge for the league we need to operate at max efficiency from the first game, not three or four games later when we get players 'back'

Solution...we DO need a bigger squad to cover what IS arecurring thing with Hibs and factor this in to pre season planning/budgets

ozhibs
19-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Problem as we know though, is we can't guarantee their continuing fitness.

On injuries, how come once again kick off to the season approaches and we won't be able to field our best 11 due to injuries.

I understand injuries picked up just prior to kick off, but it's not as if we don't know well in advance when the season starts.

If we are to make a fair dinkum challenge for the league we need to operate at max efficiency from the first game, not three or four games later when we get players 'back'

Solution...we DO need a bigger squad to cover what IS arecurring thing with Hibs and factor this in to pre season planning/budgets

This has been a bug bear of mine for years, we seem to lose lots of players to injuries in training. There is a separate post where Raymond Verheijen criticise Stubbs coaching techniques may be something in it. In saying that IMO it has been happening for more than a few years now.

J-C
19-07-2015, 07:57 AM
This has been a bug bear of mine for years, we seem to lose lots of players to injuries in training. There is a separate post where Raymond Verheijen criticise Stubbs coaching techniques may be something in it. In saying that IMO it has been happening for more than a few years now.

Farid and Boyle were injured at the end of the season and are near to fitness, Keatings and Carmichael picked up niggles, nothing serious and Keith Watson as we know is a bit injury prone, Handling was unfortunate and a bit like Harris's injury a couple of seasons ago, just bad luck.

I don't know the past history with Keatings and Carmichael injury wise, so it's hard to tell if these guys are prone to regular injuries but I must say I'm getting a bit worried about Farid and his constant injuries. As we seen yesterday, by all accounts Cummings was fairly poor and it seems he blows very hot and cold and is very inconsistent, if Farid is regularly injured then we may be short in the striking department especially if we're going two up top.

We only have 3 guaranteed starting midfielders, with Stanton and a very young Martin as backup, if anything happens to those 3 we are really going to struggle and I'd suggest another 2 midfielders are needed for the rest of the season, plus maybe another striker as I don't think Lewis Allan is ready for the step up yet.

Going to be an interesting rest of the window.

PeterboroHibee
19-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Stanton is a classy football player who hasn't played that many games, I'd be really surprised if he didn't become a first team regular.

I think theres a talented footballer in there, but he has to be the one that makes that happen! Hes fallen down the pecking order so his opportunities in the first team are reduced, which makes it even more important he grabs the chance when it comes along. The general consensus in this thread was that he was generally okay yesterday, but 'okay' performances wont dislodge our current midfielders.

J-C
19-07-2015, 08:44 AM
I think theres a talented footballer in there, but he has to be the one that makes that happen! Hes fallen down the pecking order so his opportunities in the first team are reduced, which makes it even more important he grabs the chance when it comes along. The general consensus in this thread was that he was generally okay yesterday, but 'okay' performances wont dislodge our current midfielders.

If we go 3 in the middle then he won't get a game ahead of Allan, Fyvie and Bartley but he could if they play the diamond with Stanton pefect for the left of the diamond but it could be another disappointing season as a back up if he doesn't do something soon.

B.H.F.C
19-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Exactly this. We are short in that area and yeaterday was a big chance for Stanton. He didn't have enough of an impact IMO.

bigwheel
19-07-2015, 08:50 AM

that is my view too...although, yesterday, in a starting role, he failed to do anything really to suggest he should start every week...missed opportunity for him

AlbertK86
19-07-2015, 09:08 AM
that is my view too...although, yesterday, in a starting role, he failed to do anything really to suggest he should start every week...missed opportunity for him

Sometimes hard to shine when just about everything is getting fed through Allan and Fyvie but yep he does need to show his true worth as I believe he has the POTENTIAL to be a very good player

NorthNorfolkHFC
20-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Sometimes hard to shine when just about everything is getting fed through Allan and Fyvie but yep he does need to show his true worth as I believe he has the POTENTIAL to be a very good player

I think that's clear as he showed in games under Butcher. He's lost his way though and if he can't start to justify his wage and potential he's of no use to us.

Thecat23
20-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Good to hear Harris played well from the ones who went on sat.

Billy Whizz
20-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Good to hear Harris played well from the ones who went on sat.

And he got a good reception from the Hibs fans when he took corners/free kicks etc. Will do his confidence a world of good

Thecat23
20-07-2015, 10:17 AM
And he got a good reception from the Hibs fans when he took corners/free kicks etc. Will do his confidence a world of good

Yeah hopefully he kicks on from here!

3pm
20-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Yeah hopefully he kicks on from here!

Was watching the highlights on YouTube of the game at the PBS where Griffiths scored the free kick.

Harris had just got into the team and there is a bit just after said free kick where the ball is played out right, McHattie comes out to him. Harris takes an excellent touch and rockets past him like he ain't there and fizzes a ball across the 6 yard box.

If he could get back to that, would be amazing and like a new player.

Thecat23
20-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Was watching the highlights on YouTube of the game at the PBS where Griffiths scored the free kick.

Harris had just got into the team and there is a bit just after said free kick where the ball is played out right, McHattie comes out to him. Harris takes an excellent touch and rockets past him like he ain't there and fizzes a ball across the 6 yard box.

That's right I remember that! He left him for dead and if only Leigh got on the end of the ball he put in.

3pm
20-07-2015, 11:00 AM
That's right I remember that! He left him for dead and if only Leigh got on the end of the ball he put in.

That's the very one mate.

Stevie Reid
20-07-2015, 11:18 AM

He was excellent that day, just as he was impressive in pretty much every game he featured in towards the end of the season - his pace and creativity gave us fresh impetus to finish the season as we did. The only game he didn't show in was the Scottish Cup final, sadly - though that was excusable for a then 18 year old.

I only state this again because it's often been said on here that he didn't make much of an impact when he first came in - bar the Falkirk semi - which just isn't true. The excitement surrounding him wasn't borne out of nothing. I've written many posts on here stating that I still felt that there was hope for Alex, and I very much hope that he turns things around. He has a long, long way to go, but reports of his performance on Saturday are very encouraging indeed.

When taken in the context as a bit part player (which he was) I think Stanton had a good season last year - there were numerous games when he came off the bench and made an impact, and scored. Ok it wasn't the breakthrough that we had hoped when he looked good in the first team at a higher level, but not every young player carries on in a constant upwards trajectory. Provided we get another midfielder in, I think a loan move to a team where he will start every week and be the main man in midfield would be of great benefit to Sam. I do think he has a real future with us.

Ozyhibby
20-07-2015, 11:22 AM
I think the problem for Harris is that so much of his game was built on speed and that since the injury, it's no longer there.

Winston Ingram
20-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Harris was incredible when he came in.

The injury then the treatment he received from Malpas and Butcher seem to have utterly destroyed his confidence.

Biggie
20-07-2015, 11:35 AM
I thought Harris did well when he came on on Saturday....defo got something to bring to the team. Once he gets his confidence back, I'm sure he'll be a player....

fishybeaver
20-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I thought Harris did well when he came on on Saturday....defo got something to bring to the team. Once he gets his confidence back, I'm sure he'll be a player....

16 games in the SPL last season says he has something to offer, I think people forget how young he still is, we need to be patient sometimes esp after the carry on with, injury, Malpas \ Butcher plus the sudden loss of his father, guys not had it easy the last couple of years.

Perhaps now he can shine again.

TheFamous1875
20-07-2015, 01:48 PM
A point worth noting is that Harris was effectively the only winger/creative outlet when he broke through (apart from Sparky, of course). I think the impact Harris made when he broke through has been forgotten; he really was a star player for us and he was very exciting to watch. It's worth bearing in mind too that, after Sparky left, the pressure on Harris' shoulders to be the new talisman was far too big an ask for such a young player at the beginning of their career; it's completely understandable that he ended up in the situation he did (and that's without mentioning his injury and the Butcher element as well).

What I think may be the ace up Stubbs' sleeve is having two other competent wingers in the squad, in the proven Boyle and Carmichael. This will give Harris the respite he needs and will enable him to come in and have the odd cameo and find his feet again. The pressure's on Boyle and Carmichael, not Harris, for once. This is a great scenario for him; if we're going to see the best of him, it will be in this season and in this capacity.