PDA

View Full Version : Jim hossack

Forza Fred
17-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Jim Hossack is/was a celebrated journo who had connections with Hibs, and even I think wrote the Hibs Quiz Book.

I've been asked to find out if anyone knows what may have become of him, and even if he is still with us, by a long lost friend of his.

Anybody know anything of Jim?

Bill Milne
17-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Fred, I looked up the Scotland's People database. Assuming Jim Hossack was born in Leith in 1940, he died in 1999, sadly.

oconnors_strip
17-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Jim Hossack is/was a celebrated journo who had connections with Hibs, and even I think wrote the Hibs Quiz Book.

I've been asked to find out if anyone knows what may have become of him, and even if he is still with us, by a long lost friend of his.

If it's the same Jim Hossack who did voice overs for hibs videos in the 1990s then he is still alive. I know him and his sons, sadly Jim doesn't go to many hibs games these days due to his health but his sons do.

hibbymick
17-07-2015, 09:27 AM
A lovely man. Met him at hospitality a few years ago.

steakbake
17-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Glad that's cleared up his whereabouts haha

Stantons Angel
17-07-2015, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=oconnors_strip;4413977]If it's the same Jim Hossack who did voice overs for hibs videos in the 1990s then he is still alive. I know him and his sons, sadly Jim doesn't go to many hibs games these days due to his health butTh

Thats the one and yes he is still around.
Poor man, we have got him dead before his time!

oconnors_strip
17-07-2015, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=oconnors_strip;4413977]If it's the same Jim Hossack who did voice overs for hibs videos in the 1990s then he is still alive. I know him and his sons, sadly Jim doesn't go to many hibs games these days due to his health butTh

Thats the one and yes he is still around.
Poor man, we have got him dead before his time!

Will tell his sons this, Jim will be laughing at it :greengrin

hibbymick
17-07-2015, 07:45 PM
If it's the same Jim Hossack who did voice overs for hibs videos in the 1990s then he is still alive. I know him and his sons, sadly Jim doesn't go to many hibs games these days due to his health but his sons do.

If I remember correctly he ploughed a fair bit of his own money into the production,,,,"The team that wouldn't die". He wrote, produced and narrated it.

Yuillsy
17-07-2015, 07:55 PM
If I remember correctly he ploughed a fair bit of his own money into the production,,,,"The team that wouldn't die". He wrote, produced and narrated it.

An absolutely brilliant film. I watched it daily as a young teenager when it came out!!!

superfurryhibby
17-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Available on You Tube.

His quiz book was excellent. Still got it in my Hibs library.

Bill Milne
20-07-2015, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=Stantons Angel;4414373]

Will tell his sons this, Jim will be laughing at it :greengrin

I'm glad to hear he is still with us!!

bodoglimt
20-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Jim went to school with one of my college lecturers and this is how I first became aware of jim. Met him on a couple of occasions and he was an absolute gent

i have his UK football book which has best & law on the front cover with a pat Stanton poem inside

the story I liked most about Jim was when he worked for the bbc on sport scene or the equivalent in the 60's. Hibs had been destroyed by the lesser greens 6-0 or something like that. Jim edited it showing every hibs towards the Celtic goal making it look like Celtic won by 6 lucky breakaways . Not a good career move

apologies if the story or details are not 100% accurate

on a final note I believe it was one of his sons who played the part of the young fan dreaming of hibs glory?

pass on my good wishes to both Jim and family

:flag:

Boris
20-07-2015, 08:43 AM

Jim suffered a serious stroke a few years back that curtailed his following Hibs for a bit. Last time I spoke to him was a couple of years back at St Mark's Park where he was watching a Craigroyston v Leith Athletic game in the East of Scotland League. I stood with him during the game & had a good chat - he'd become a wee bit disillusioned with the goings-on behind the scenes at Hibs (hadn't we all....) & although still going to the occassional Hibs game then he'd been spending most Saturday's taking in non-league/junior games he fancied. I think his wife was driving him to games & sitting in the car reading while he took in the match! A smashing fella, real gentleman, with a tremendous knowledge of the game & its history (in a similar vein to the late great Bob Crampsey).

I reckon your best bet to get in contact Fred is to get in touch with Tam Wright of the Hibs Historical Trust as I'm sure he'll have a number, etc for Jim. Sure Tam's contact email will be on the club or Trust website. Good luck.